PDA

View Full Version : App could get a SBC invite as early as today?

Pages : [1] 2

ASU_Fanatic
May 7th, 2012, 12:08 AM
http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=568845

xliarxxxmasxxcoolxxcoffeex

Idk what to think, all it is is a message board thread but these guys really think it is gonna happen. Well then.

jmufan
May 7th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Gotta take it when you get it. Then worry about moving into a better conferance later.

UNH Fanboi
May 7th, 2012, 07:39 AM
If ASU accepts a SBC invite, will their fans retract all the smack that they talked about he conference just a couple of week ago?

TheRevSFA
May 7th, 2012, 07:45 AM
If ASU accepts a SBC invite, will their fans retract all the smack that they talked about he conference just a couple of week ago?

No, they'll say it's a stepping stone and a great fit for App State.

People talk **** about conferences until they join them.

Apphole
May 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM

Wondering who you're talking about here. Most AGS App fans (me especially) have been advocating SBC for months now.

Apphole
May 7th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Image of the the MMB/Appfan reactions.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3ek9zHooc1rnvwt1.gif

asumike83
May 7th, 2012, 08:18 AM

I haven't gone back and re-read any of the threads but I think it was more talking smack to a vocal few GA State fans who acted like they had just gone to the SEC and we should all know our place on the food chain.

To me, with the addition of GA State, likely addition of GA Southern and split into East/West divisions, the conference is more geographically feasible than it was just a few months ago. I will leave it up to the guys in charge to crunch the numbers but if we can afford the travel, I think we should take the opportunity. Prove yourself on the field when you get there, good things will happen.

chattownmocs
May 7th, 2012, 09:01 AM
"App could get a SBC invite as early as today?"

Or, as late as never. Large window there.

The Eagle's Cliff
May 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM

You're correct, but I do think App will eventually be in the same conference with East Carolina and Charlotte. A move to FBS will help them grow into a bigger conference.

Of Course, I truly believe the Big-Big Boys will eventually form some sort "league of their own" that puts an even bigger gap between the them and the rest of us.

TheRevSFA
May 7th, 2012, 09:16 AM
You're correct, but I do think App will eventually be in the same conference with East Carolina and Charlotte. A move to FBS will help them grow into a bigger conference.

Of Course, I truly believe the Big-Big Boys will eventually form some sort "league of their own" that puts an even bigger gap between the them and the rest of us.

We agree on something. Scary

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 09:23 AM
It has come to this that this is considered news of realignment:

App St will soon be the next member of the Belt. My source is right about 90% of the time.

AppinATL
May 7th, 2012, 10:48 AM

There were a lot of us, myself included, that a year ago would have said, heck no to the SBC. But the new SBC that's shaping up is looking very attractive and I personally would prefer it to CUSA. Travel-wide it would be great. Our division would include WKU, MTSU (if they stay) Troy, GA State, GA Southern (if they get in-which I really hope for) FAU. Being in Atlanta I'd have several road games closer to me than my trips to Boone!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Sun Belt!

cbarrier90
May 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM
There were a lot of us, myself included, that a year ago would have said, heck no to the SBC. But the new SBC that's shaping up is looking very attractive and I personally would prefer it to CUSA.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's certainly looking more like the "Eastern WAC" we were hoping for, especially if Georgia Southern is added.

I still think the ultimate goal is to join ECU, Marshall, and Charlotte in C-USA, but you have to start somewhere.

Tuscon
May 7th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I haven't gone back and re-read any of the threads but I think it was more talking smack to a vocal few GA State fans who acted like they had just gone to the SEC and we should all know our place on the food chain.

To me, with the addition of GA State, likely addition of GA Southern and split into East/West divisions, the conference is more geographically feasible than it was just a few months ago. I will leave it up to the guys in charge to crunch the numbers but if we can afford the travel, I think we should take the opportunity. Prove yourself on the field when you get there, good things will happen.

Actually, you guys came in and defended all the smack that rained down on Georgia State for joining the Sun Belt. I actually posted a little comment thanking all the App State fans for being so cool about it.

It was clearly mentioned as a rumor. Not concrete at all. Even at the heading of this thread the guys seems very unsure about the news himself. Get off it, guy.

Smitty
May 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
"App could get a SBC invite as early as today?"

Or, as late as never. Large window there.

You know you would support the change, you would actually have a chance to win in the SoCon again!

ASUMountaineer
May 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sports/ci_20565611/sun-belt-commissioner-says-geographic-expansion-nmsu-invitation

It appears the MMB is reporting the news now. xlolx Interesting read, but doesn't provide much in the way of new information.

TheRevSFA
May 7th, 2012, 12:01 PM
http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-sports/ci_20565611/sun-belt-commissioner-says-geographic-expansion-nmsu-invitation

It appears the MMB is reporting the news now. xlolx Interesting read, but doesn't provide much in the way of new information.

I'd bet on Lamar getting an invite before App State...being former SBC members and giving Texas State a school in-state to play

MplsBison
May 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM

But people especially talk badly about the Sun Belt here.

TheRevSFA
May 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM

People who live in the Sun Belt's footprint talk about the Sun Belt because they know about it.

People who don't live in the Sun Belt's footprint try to talk like they are aware of what recognition the Belt actually gets.

Do you see the difference?

Mountaineer
May 7th, 2012, 01:19 PM

For most of last year when ASU supposedly had the "C-USA invite in hand" the scorn heaped upon the Sun Belt was nearly universal.

It's been an amusing turn of events the past couple days and weeks as the spin machine has gone into overdrive. xlolx Like it's suddenly become the favored destination for Apps everywhere.. xcrazyx

asumike83
May 7th, 2012, 01:24 PM
For most of last year when ASU supposedly had the "C-USA invite in hand" the scorn heaped upon the Sun Belt was nearly universal.

It's been an amusing turn of events the past couple days and weeks as the spin machine has gone into overdrive. xlolx Like it's suddenly become the favored destination for Apps everywhere.. xcrazyx

To be fair, the presence of Appalachian would make any conference inherently awesome. :D

Apphole
May 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM

It's also not the same conference it was last year and, most importantly, CUSA is not the same conference it was last year. With the loss of Houston, SMU, UCF, and Memphis, she ain't lookin' to pretty anymore. If the BE takes ECU eventually and/or Marshal goes back to the MAC to avoid the train wreck, CUSA is nothing.

The SBC is better geographically and it's much more stable. It's the place to go, especially if we can eventually get our favorite rival to move also (GaSo).

Mountaineer
May 7th, 2012, 01:32 PM
To be fair, the presence of Appalachian would make any conference inherently awesome. :D

Of that I have no doubt. xthumbsupx I suppose one of the positives from the situation is that the fans/alums of the member schools really seem excited about the prospect of App coming on board.

After being yanked around the past year with all the rumor and innuendo I'm pretty much ambivalent at this point. xshakefistx

It's the place to go..

That may very well be, but it doesn't make the whole situation any less laughable. :p

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
The SBC is better geographically and it's much more stable. It's the place to go, especially if we can eventually get our favorite rival to move also (GaSo).

You mean before they lost their top three programs to CUSA, or after?

MplsBison
May 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM

What would be ultimately favorable? Being in a conference with ECU and Marshall?

Apphole
May 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Geographically, CUSA has always been a nightmare, but with the loss of these top programs and the possibility of ECU leaving, it makes it no longer worth it. Of course its more unstable when the top programs bolt.

ASUMountaineer
May 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM

North Texas was in the top three?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 01:49 PM
North Texas was in the top three?

Incredibly, yes. xlolx

Skjellyfetti
May 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Incredibly, yes. xlolx

Are we talking football here?

In 2011, North Texas finished 5th out of 9 teams
In 2010, North Texas finished 8th out of 9 teams
In 2009, North Texas finished 8th out of 9 teams
In 2008, North Texas finished 8th out of 8 teams
In 2007, North Texas finished 7th out of 8 teams
In 2006, North Texas finished 7th out of 8 teams
In 2005, North Texas finished 8th out of 8 teams

North Texas has finished toward the bottom of the conference every year for the last 7 years. They finished near the middle in 2011... but, still in the bottom half of the conference.

xconfusedx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Are we talking football here?

In 2011, North Texas finished 5th out of 9 teams
In 2010, North Texas finished 8th out of 9 teams
In 2009, North Texas finished 8th out of 9 teams
In 2008, North Texas finished 8th out of 8 teams
In 2007, North Texas finished 7th out of 8 teams
In 2006, North Texas finished 7th out of 8 teams
In 2005, North Texas finished 8th out of 8 teams

North Texas has finished toward the bottom of the conference every year for the last 7 years. They finished near the middle in 2011... but, still in the bottom half of the conference.

xconfusedx

Pay no attention to that! Think of the DFW TV market! TV! TV! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

DFW HOYA
May 7th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Pay no attention to that! Think of the DFW TV market! TV! TV!

"TV market" and "North Texas Football" are mutually exclusive. Georgetown is on TV in Easton about as much as Sun Belt games ever made it to regional television in Texas.

dbackjon
May 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Sunbelt went 13-26 OOC last year

The wins breakdown as follows:
3 wins over FCS teams (Grambling, Nicholls State and UCA)
2 wins over 2-10 Memphis
2 wins over 3-9 UAB
1-11 Akron
1-11 Indiana
5-7 Kent
5-7 UCF
7-6 Louisville
8-5 San Diego State * Bowl Game

The only two wins over BCS teams are not in Sunbelt anymore (UNT and FIU)
Remaining Sunbelt teams were 9-21 OOC

The second best SunBelt team, WKU, got hammered at home by a FCS team that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs.

App State and GSU, if invited, would dominate the Sunbelt, both in the standings and attendance wise.

ASU_Fanatic
May 7th, 2012, 02:27 PM
This is just a stepping stone. My sources say by 2020 KBS will seat 114,000 and we will be in the SEC

ASU_Fanatic
May 7th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Lol, but really this wouldn't be a bad move. I hate all the realignment and it sucks we won't be competing for National Championships anymore but I 100% understand why they are doing it. I'm pumped.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2012, 02:37 PM

2 wins over 2-10 Memphis
2 wins over 3-9 UAB
1-11 Akron
1-11 Indiana
5-7 Kent
5-7 UCF
7-6 Louisville

The second best SunBelt team, WKU, got hammered at home by a FCS team that wasn't good enough to make the playoffs.

App State and GSU, if invited, would dominate the Sunbelt, both in the standings and attendance wise.

For what its worth, Furman scored 29 more points against Florida than UAB and FAU did...combined.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM

2 wins over 2-10 Memphis
2 wins over 3-9 UAB
1-11 Akron
1-11 Indiana
5-7 Kent
5-7 UCF
7-6 Louisville

And if they don't, you'll admit you were wrong?

Keep in mind, WKU won the FCS national championship in 2002. They were humbled pretty bad in the Sun Belt until this past season. The Indiana St loss was the turning point. Guaranteed, bet your last penny that Indiana St would've lost to WKU at the end of the year.

apaladin
May 7th, 2012, 02:55 PM

If you do great on the field the best it will ever get is a Wednesday night bowl game in December whose results no one will remember the next week. Go for it!!

dbackjon
May 7th, 2012, 02:55 PM
And if they don't, you'll admit you were wrong?

Keep in mind, WKU won the FCS national championship in 2002. They were humbled pretty bad in the Sun Belt until this past season. The Indiana St loss was the turning point. Guaranteed, bet your last penny that Indiana St would've lost to WKU at the end of the year.

I have no problem admitting that :)
WKU was never an attendance leader in FCS - only make attendance at FBS level by sellign $5 tickets.

asumike83
May 7th, 2012, 03:20 PM
If you do great on the field the best it will ever get is a Wednesday night bowl game in December whose results no one will remember the next week. Go for it!!

I will remember it, as will all other App fans. I do not support an FBS move because of some ill-advised notion of national recognition. Just like the FCS championship, the smaller bowl games will be important to the fans involved and with the exception of the die-hard college football fans that will watch it an any opportunity, few others.

I suppose it would be nice, but I could really care less whether the casual fan in another part of the country remembers the score to the App game. I will miss the playoffs but I support the move because once we are established at the FBS level, it will allow us the opportunity to consistently improve our non-conference schedule and get series going against ECU, Marshall, Wake or other schools that would be very exciting for our fans.

Although I do not expect to be Boise, it does also raise the ceiling for our program. If we can sustain success in the FBS, it will open the door for opportunities that may arise down the road.

cbarrier90
May 7th, 2012, 03:27 PM

What would those same people answer if you asked them who won the 1988 FCS Championship? :)

I agree with Mike. This move isn't about any "national recognition." It's about putting the program in the best position to succeed and grow in the future. Right now, I don't believe ASU's best interest is to be in a conference wanting to turn itself into a Southern Ivy League.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM

I just saw that the SunBelt released their agreement with ESPN on televised games. Not a single one on a Saturday. Most are midweek.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I will remember it, as will all other App fans. I do not support an FBS move because of some ill-advised notion of national recognition. Just like the FCS championship, the smaller bowl games will be important to the fans involved and with the exception of the die-hard college football fans that will watch it an any opportunity, few others.

I suppose it would be nice, but I could really care less whether the casual fan in another part of the country remembers the score to the App game. I will miss the playoffs but I support the move because once we are established at the FBS level, it will allow us the opportunity to consistently improve our non-conference schedule and get series going against ECU, Marshall, Wake or other schools that would be very exciting for our fans.

Although I do not expect to be Boise, it does also raise the ceiling for our program. If we can sustain success in the FBS, it will open the door for opportunities that may arise down the road.

Rational answer. My only hope is that this isn't going to go down as Charlie Cobb's folly. Sometimes the grass isn't greener. Sometimes it's just grass.

Still, if they think this is the answer, then go for it.

asumike83
May 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Rational answer. My only hope is that this isn't going to go down as Charlie Cobb's folly. Sometimes the grass isn't greener. Sometimes it's just grass.

Still, if they think this is the answer, then go for it.

It is a risk, to be sure. All it takes is one great (or terrible) coach or recruiting class to drastically change your fortunes. It all comes down to how we perform on the field. If we win, the ship will keep sailing smoothly. If not, we could be in for trouble. Not that it is any different than doing so at the FCS level but failure would be more costly. I do have faith that the right decision will be made and we will be in a position to succeed. Making the move with GSU would ease my mind a good bit because regardless of what either school's record is, that always makes for an exciting rivalry for fans on both sides.

dbackjon
May 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I just saw that the SunBelt released their agreement with ESPN on televised games. Not a single one on a Saturday. Most are midweek.

AnyGivenWeeknight?

Tuscon
May 7th, 2012, 05:08 PM

I just saw the ESPN tv schedule for the entirety of the FCS... oh wait.... nm.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Obviously you didn't. SWAC, MEAC, OVC, ESPN3 commitments (right next to Sun Belt broadcasts!)... and, of course, the FCS playoffs.

Tuscon
May 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Obviously you didn't. SWAC, MEAC, OVC, ESPN3 commitments (right next to Sun Belt broadcasts!)... and, of course, the FCS playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7621355/espn-networks-2012-college-football-schedule

Skjellyfetti
May 7th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Would y'all rather move the FCS championship game off of ESPN so it could be played on a Saturday?

I wouldn't want to play every game on weeknights. And a Sun Belt team is not going to be playing on week nights ever week. But, the occasional weeknight game on national television isn't a bad thing. One of my all time favorite games at KBS was a Friday night game... moved so that it could be on ESPN2.

Skjellyfetti
May 7th, 2012, 06:47 PM
SWAC, MEAC, OVC, ESPN3 commitments

ESPN3 isn't television.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 7th, 2012, 06:55 PM
All I have to say is that it is a sad commentary about our level of football that a program of App State's stature would move to a conference as pathetic as the Sun Belt, just because it is FBS football.

It's depressing, really.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I have no problem admitting that :)
WKU was never an attendance leader in FCS - only make attendance at FBS level by sellign $5 tickets.

Shouldn't matter if they average 5k people per game.

If they want to give 85 scholarships and they have the money to do so, from a combination of donations and student fees that the students voted to give themselves ---- so be it!!

MplsBison
May 7th, 2012, 07:40 PM
All I have to say is that it is a sad commentary about our level of football that a program of App State's stature would move to a conference as pathetic as the Sun Belt, just because it is FBS football.

It's depressing, really.

Well once App St is in the Sun Belt, it won't be as pathetic anymore - right?

Saint3333
May 7th, 2012, 07:55 PM

It's depressing, really.

Thinking of the original purpose of the FCS to what it has become is extremely depressing, the broken promises and now where TV dictates college football is troubling.

Saint3333
May 7th, 2012, 07:58 PM

Troy, MTSU, and Ark St. are still there. They did lose "markets".

Hellgate60
May 7th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Well I would rather watch the Griz play on Saturday and not be on ESPN than watch the Griz on a Tuesday and be on ESPN

Hellgate60
May 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Would y'all rather move the FCS championship game off of ESPN so it could be played on a Saturday?

I wouldn't want to play every game on weeknights. And a Sun Belt team is not going to be playing on week nights ever week. But, the occasional weeknight game on national television isn't a bad thing. One of my all time favorite games at KBS was a Friday night game... moved so that it could be on ESPN2.

Friday games are different than tuesday/Wednesday games

Lehigh Football Nation
May 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7621355/espn-networks-2012-college-football-schedule

The schedule will be updated throughout the spring and summer, so check back here for the latest information.

... when they will update it with said games.

Tuscon
May 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM
... when they will update it with said games.

Said ESPN3 games...

Look, the point was someone made a snarky comment about the days ESPN will be nationally televising Sun Belt games. So I made a point that FCS games haven't even been scheduled yet. None of them, not even against FBS opponents. I'm glad you guys will have your National Championship on ESPN2. You should be proud.

PaladinFan
May 7th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Said ESPN3 games...

Look, the point was someone made a snarky comment about the days ESPN will be nationally televising Sun Belt games. So I made a point that FCS games haven't even been scheduled yet. None of them, not even against FBS opponents. I'm glad you guys will have your National Championship on ESPN2. You should be proud.

The point is, more or less, that most of the FCS schools aren't concerned with moving up for "increased national exposure."

Grizalltheway
May 7th, 2012, 09:56 PM

60% of the time, he's right every time. xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 7th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Well once App St is in the Sun Belt, it won't be as pathetic anymore - right?

I don't know. You tell me.

Or better yet, can ASU fans pontificate on whether substantially more Mountaineer fans will come out of the woods to see UTSA and Texas State than would for Furman and WoCo ... Just because it's FBS now???

hapapp
May 7th, 2012, 10:44 PM
It sounds like a case of premature invitation:o

Who knows what conference App fans will be clamoring about next year. Last year it was CUSA. Recently, it was the SBC. Next year...xcrazyx

frozennorth
May 7th, 2012, 11:27 PM
i credit/blame ndsu for driving app and gsu into the eager (???!) hands of the mighty sunbelt.

where's lakes?

eaglewraith
May 8th, 2012, 05:30 AM
i credit/blame ndsu for driving app and gsu into the eager (???!) hands of the mighty sunbelt.

where's lakes?

Bahahaha....that's cute.

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2012, 06:55 AM

Or better yet, can ASU fans pontificate on whether substantially more Mountaineer fans will come out of the woods to see UTSA and Texas State than would for Furman and WoCo ... Just because it's FBS now???

That's the question I have been wondering for a while. App's attendance spiked only after the three national titles. Prior to 2005, they weren't drawing much better than several of the other SoCon school, many of which are a fraction of App's size.

The question I keep coming back to is whether those 27,000 people are going to show up for a mid-November game against Texas State where both teams are 2-7 and UNC basketball has already started. Maybe they will. As of right now, there is no way of knowing that. I can also would be utterly shocked if Texas State or UTSA brought as many fans to Boone as the SoCon schools do (despite some of those schools being small). I've spent considerable time in Boone, NC and San Marcos, Texas. I pity the person that has to organize team travel between those two institutions.

AshevilleApp2
May 8th, 2012, 07:42 AM

There might be a surge in attendance in the first couple of seasons out of curiosity, but after that it depends on how successful the team is. Prior to 2005, I'd guess that we averaged maybe 15,000 people per game. I could see a scenario where that happens again if we became a middle of the pack team. I could be wrong, because certainly the school is growing at a rapid pace, and you'd think that would keep the attendance numbers higher.

WUTNDITWAA
May 8th, 2012, 07:47 AM
App's attendance spiked the season leading up to the first national title. The attendance spike happened because of a change in administration. Did the titles and win over Michigan help sustain and boost the momentum? Of course. However the attendance spike came before the first title.

Sammy94
May 8th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I can also would be utterly shocked if Texas State

I'm not sure Texas State ever brought more than 1,000 fans to Huntsville and that is in state. They may get that number to Boone early on but after a few years, I would be shocked if 500 showed.

Saint3333
May 8th, 2012, 07:52 AM

OOC scheduling is the key. In addition this recruiting season App will have 3 additional FBS programs from VA to GA that we will have to compete against for recruits. That will have an impact on us. The quality of football at the FCS level will drop once these 6-8 new FBS programs have 85 scholarships. We're talking about ~500-700 additional scholarships. If spread evenly that would mean every FCS program would lose one of their top prospects each recruiting season. So imagine 4 of your top 8 players on your team away and will out your two deep. Scary isn't it.

WUTNDITWAA
May 8th, 2012, 07:58 AM
OOC scheduling is the key. In addition this recruiting season App will have 3 additional FBS programs from VA to GA that we will have to compete against for recruits. That will have an impact on us. The quality of football at the FCS level will drop once these 6-8 new FBS programs have 85 scholarships. We're talking about ~500-700 additional scholarships. If spread evenly that would mean every FCS program would lose one of their top prospects each recruiting season. So imagine 4 of your top 8 players on your team away and will out your two deep. Scary isn't it.

It's not scary at all if you bury your head in the sand. That does, of course, leave your butt end in the air, making it easier to get screwed over, but what you don't see...errrr...refuse to see...won't hurt you.

clenz
May 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM
App's attendance spiked the season leading up to the first national title. The attendance spike happened because of a change in administration. Did the titles and win over Michigan help sustain and boost the momentum? Of course. However the attendance spike came before the first title.

According to goasu.com the attendance is as follows....only goes back to 05 for some reason

05: 17,917
06: 20,056
07: 24,219
08: 25,161
09: 24,004
10: 25,715
11: 26,211

Seems to me the spike happened after the first title....and much more so after the second/Michigan win......I don't know when administration changed, but I doubt someone else being in charge at the university caused a 8-10k boost in attendance.

asumike83
May 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM
That's the question I have been wondering for a while. App's attendance spiked only after the three national titles. Prior to 2005, they weren't drawing much better than several of the other SoCon school, many of which are a fraction of App's size.

The question I keep coming back to is whether those 27,000 people are going to show up for a mid-November game against Texas State where both teams are 2-7 and UNC basketball has already started. Maybe they will. As of right now, there is no way of knowing that. I can also would be utterly shocked if Texas State or UTSA brought as many fans to Boone as the SoCon schools do (despite some of those schools being small). I've spent considerable time in Boone, NC and San Marcos, Texas. I pity the person that has to organize team travel between those two institutions.

As Saint mentioned, OOC scheduling is the key. I agree that any conference we went to would not be filled with big name schools that fans would flock to significantly more than our familiar SoCon foes after the 'new car' feeling wears off. However, playing regional FBS teams (ECU, Marshall, Wake, etc.) would draw more interest than some of the teams we've had on the schedule in recent years. Another thing to keep in mind is that in this theoretical new Sun Belt conference, we would not be in the same division as Texas State and would only have to travel there once every four years.

Another thing I don't understand is that folks talk about how terrible the Sun Belt is and that it's no better than the SoCon, then wonder how our crowds will be when we're 2-7. Well, it has to be one or the other. If the Sun Belt truly is no better than the SoCon on the field, there is no way we suffer through 2-3 win seasons with any kind of regularity. We have not had a season with as few as 3 wins since 1981. We haven't even had a losing season since 1993. The fact is, if we are getting beat that badly in the FBS then we are playing better competition and we will just have to step up to the plate. I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff and believe we can do that.

bullitt_60
May 8th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Why hasn't this thread been derailed yet? Don't say "north Dakota" three times. :p

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2012, 08:55 AM
As Saint mentioned, OOC scheduling is the key. I agree that any conference we went to would not be filled with big name schools that fans would flock to significantly more than our familiar SoCon foes after the 'new car' feeling wears off. However, playing regional FBS teams (ECU, Marshall, Wake, etc.) would draw more interest than some of the teams we've had on the schedule in recent years. Another thing to keep in mind is that in this theoretical new Sun Belt conference, we would not be in the same division as Texas State and would only have to travel there once every four years.

Another thing I don't understand is that folks talk about how terrible the Sun Belt is and that it's no better than the SoCon, then wonder how our crowds will be when we're 2-7. Well, it has to be one or the other. If the Sun Belt truly is no better than the SoCon on the field, there is no way we suffer through 2-3 win seasons with any kind of regularity. We have not had a season with as few as 3 wins since 1981. We haven't even had a losing season since 1993. The fact is, if we are getting beat that badly in the FBS then we are playing better competition and we will just have to step up to the plate, which I have confidence we can do.

I don't think the SunBelt is "no better" than the SoCon talent-wise. I do think that the increased cost of facilities upgrades, travel, and scholarships makes one say "well, we are putting in a whole lot more money and for what real benefit?"

That division alignment is great, but it is not as though the teams in the division are substantially close. The SunBelt for years has tried this model of lumping together all of the unwanted FBS teams and calling it a conference. Teams with no history or cultural ties, and just seeing if it will work. The distance really doesn't even make a difference in football, but in things like a mid-week soccer game, or basketball game. It's a long way from Boone to San Marcos, but its a long way from Boone to Miami too.

I'm all for App State doing whatever it wants to do. The SoCon will get on fine without them. I guess my only point is this move (particularly in light of getting passed over by other conferences) seems "forced." Like, "well, we've talked about it so much, I guess we have to do it."

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Not particularly. Most SoCon schools routinely go up against the lower-level FBS programs for recruits and come out just fine. Sure, there's an over saturation now that schools continue to start football programs, but that probably effects everyone.

I think the argument cuts the other way as well. App State now has to find 20 more players to fill in depth against schools who may well intend on making that guy and FCS starter. There are plenty of SoCon players (Armanti Edwards, for example) who took the opportunity to play FCS quarterback instead of being an FBS backup receiver. That's a decision that comes down to the individual player, not the state of conference realignment. Again, that's just my opinion.

asumike83
May 8th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I'm all for App State doing whatever it wants to do. The SoCon will get on fine without them. I guess my only point is this move (particularly in light of getting passed over by other conferences) seems "forced." Like, "well, we've talked about it so much, I guess we have to do it."

I agree that our hand is being forced but I don't think it is because the administration feels obligated because it's been talked about so much. I think having 2 FBS programs pop up in the last month, one in our biggest alumni base and one in our biggest recruiting area, is what is causing the sense of urgency. It seems very up in the air in terms of whether anything happens before this year's deadline but if we are serious about this move (which I believe we are), we cannot afford to let a couple of start-up programs get a head start in two very important areas for us.

One other thing to consider is that there is no exit fee in the Sun Belt, so joining would not handcuff us in any way. If we join the conference and other opportunities present themselves in the years to come, we can assess our options at that time.

WH49er
May 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I think having 2 FBS programs pop up in the last month

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The sense of urgency should of started 18-24 months ago.

GlassOnion
May 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM
According to goasu.com the attendance is as follows....only goes back to 05 for some reason

Seems to me the spike happened after the first title....and much more so after the second/Michigan win......I don't know when administration changed, but I doubt someone else being in charge at the university caused a 8-10k boost in attendance.

The attendance definately spiked up in 2004. From the start of 2004- the midpoint of 2007, App didnt lose a single home game.

Tuscon
May 8th, 2012, 09:17 AM
The point is, more or less, that most of the FCS schools aren't concerned with moving up for "increased national exposure."

And that is a very valid point, but the point he was trying to make was that FCS teams do get national exposure. Not that thing you said.

asumike83
May 8th, 2012, 09:18 AM
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The sense of urgency should of started 18-24 months ago.

It was certainly no surprise that y'all went FBS, that was the goal from the beginning. However, until relatively recently, it seemed to be further in the future because many thought C-USA would want you guys to cut your teeth in the FCS for a while before having you back. It happened quicker than most expected, which you should be commended for.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 09:20 AM

1. Such a game would probably be on a Tuesday night.

2. Texas State/UTSA fans, who would have to fly, would not pack the house in the same way Furman or Georgia Southern fans would simply because fellow SoCon fans can drive to the game.

3. App State has played Texas State and UTSA combined exactly once, and that time was in the FCS playoffs vs. Texas State, where a national championship was at stake. In contrast, App has played Furman and Georgia Southern 40 times apiece, and SoCon titles and local bragging rights have been on the line almost every single year.

My conclusion is that it's reasonable to assume that attendance would fall - if both teams are 2-7, or even if they're .500 and, say, Troy is winning the Sun Belt. Or if App is 8-3 and Texas State is 2-7. And so on.

But it's if App State runs the table in the Sun Belt, goes 8-3, is facing a 7-4 UTSA and has a GoDaddy.com bowl bid on the line - will the fans show up then? That I'm not sure. They probably will, I guess.

clenz
May 8th, 2012, 09:33 AM
3. App State has played Texas State and UTSA combined exactly once, and that time was in the FCS playoffs vs. Texas State, where a national championship was at stake.

false.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/AppalachianStateGamebyGameResults.png

A real journalist would do some research first.

phoenix3
May 8th, 2012, 09:46 AM

You need to go talk ***** to the next group of teams to smack you around.. Run along.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM

I made a mistake, relying on memory rather than re-verifying. Your point, sir, Mr. Rice?

clenz
May 8th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I made a mistake, relying on memory rather than re-verifying. Your point, sir, Mr. Rice?

My point....I'm not the one making **** up/not fact checking and trying to pass off as a real journalist.

Took me all of 15 seconds to find out it wasn't a playoff game. Took me longer to screen shot and upload the screen shot than to find the score.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 10:23 AM
My point....I'm not the one making **** up/not fact checking and trying to pass off as a real journalist.

Jesus, I made a mistake. Please get over yourself.

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Let's pretend for one moment that this isn't basically a lateral move and the sunbelt and the southern conference will not be competing on the same level in 5 years. The reason why Appalachian State has so many fans show up for games is because those fans believe they have a very good chance to win. Once they get rolled by Troy or Middle Tennessee the fan base will no longer come in strong numbers to watch their team get crushed.

I say this but of course this is the same fan base who stood behind their idiot player who said they were still better than Va Tech even though they were annihilated and humiliated by them. So you never know, maybe they will still live in their fantasy land of delusion for more like 3 or 4 beatings rather than 1 or 2. In any even by the end of year 1 in this conference App State's support, both locally, and nationally as sort of a cult hero will dissolve by the end of year one in the Sun Belt Conference.

Watch how fast the support for this move among current fans of Sun Belt teams disappears after App finishes 4th or 5th in the SOCON this year.

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
fantasy land of delusion

http://plataformadesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/mirror_by_Harp-02.jpg

cbarrier90
May 8th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Let's pretend for one moment that this isn't basically a lateral move and the sunbelt and the southern conference will not be competing on the same level in 5 years.

They won't, but okay...

The reason why Appalachian State has so many fans show up for games is because those fans believe they have a very good chance to win.

I agree. That's usually the way it works in sports.

Once they get rolled by Troy or Middle Tennessee the fan base will no longer come in strong numbers to watch their team get crushed.

I'll call this one the "Chattown Paradox." You start by insinuating that both the Southern Conference and the Sun Belt are on a level playing field AND that ASU will get crushed in the Sun Belt. ASU's run of consecutive SoCon championships only ended this past season, and even then they finished in the top three. According to your argument, they're not going to be crushed by MTSU and Troy. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I say this but of course this is the same fan base who stood behind their idiot player who said they were still better than Va Tech even though they were annihilated and humiliated by them.

And this is coming from the same fan who duck and ran after his team choked on what was supposed to be a dream season.

So you never know, maybe they will still live in their fantasy land of delusion for more like 3 or 4 beatings rather than 1 or 2. In any even by the end of year 1 in this conference App State's support, both locally, and nationally as sort of a cult hero will dissolve be the end of year one in the Sun Belt Conference.

Time and the resurgence of Michigan football is already eroding that folklore, but the compliment is appreciated.

Watch how fast the support for this move among current fans of Sun Belt teams disappears after App finishes 4th or 5th in the SOCON this year.

You and I both know that's not happening.

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 10:59 AM
They won't, but okay...

Yeah they will, There is going to be a new division of playoff football formed and both the Sun Belt and the SOCON will be part of it.

I agree. That's usually the way it works in sports.

Cool.

I'll call this one the "Chattown Paradox." You start by insinuating that both the Southern Conference and the Sun Belt are on a level playing field AND that ASU will get crushed in the Sun Belt. ASU's run of consecutive SoCon championships only ended this past season, and even then they finished in the top three. According to your argument, they're not going to be crushed by MTSU and Troy. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I call this lack of reading comprehension and overall failure. There is little doubt in my mind that the Sun Belt is, for the time being, significantly stronger than the SOCON. But when the landscape of college football shifts and the Sunbelt and the SOCON are in the same division, that difference will shrink significantly. It's pretty sad that you weren't able to pick up on a fairly clearly stated point the first time.

And this is coming from the same fan who duck and ran after his team choked on what was supposed to be a dream season.

Just repeat the same nonsense over and over again. The fact that you care whether Sam Houston State or North Dakota State wins the national championship is you issue. I couldn't care less. I posted until the Mocs season ended which also happened to end my interest in FCS football.

Time and the resurgence of Michigan football is already eroding that folklore, but the compliment is appreciated.

You and I both know that's not happening.

This goes back to the whole "fantasy land of delusion" thing. Your team is weakening annually. There is a very high probability that you could easily finish 4th or 5th

PantherRob82
May 8th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Jesus, I made a mistake. Please get over yourself.

I think what he is trying to say is that he hates you. ;)

asumike83
May 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Once they get rolled by Troy or Middle Tennessee the fan base will no longer come in strong numbers to watch their team get crushed.

The last time we were supposed to "get rolled" was by the almighty B.J. Coleman and the Mocs last year, when he was going to light up our secondary and have our fans jumping off the stadium roof.

ASUMountaineer
May 8th, 2012, 11:14 AM
The last time we were supposed to "get rolled" was by the almighty B.J. Coleman and the Mocs last year, when he was going to light up our secondary and have our fans jumping off the stadium roof.

I remember that time. Funny.

14-12

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I remember that time. Funny.

14-12

I'm not sure what is funny about getting shut out offensively by a program that App State feels is far below them when you are about to move up. That result would make me a bit wary if I were you.

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I agree that our hand is being forced but I don't think it is because the administration feels obligated because it's been talked about so much. I think having 2 FBS programs pop up in the last month, one in our biggest alumni base and one in our biggest recruiting area, is what is causing the sense of urgency. It seems very up in the air in terms of whether anything happens before this year's deadline but if we are serious about this move (which I believe we are), we cannot afford to let a couple of start-up programs get a head start in two very important areas for us.

One other thing to consider is that there is no exit fee in the Sun Belt, so joining would not handcuff us in any way. If we join the conference and other opportunities present themselves in the years to come, we can assess our options at that time.

I do realize that some of this is Charlotte. I think that effect is somewhat overblown. For example, there are nine D-I programs in the State of South Carolina, with a population a fraction of that in North Carolina and Georgia, and I've never felt the "warring alumni base" problem. Charlotte is as much a recruiting ground for the rest of the SoCon as it is for App State. Now, if the question is whether App fans can stomach watching UNC-C move up while they stay put, recruiting aside, then that's a different analysis.

UAalum72
May 8th, 2012, 11:37 AM

From NCAA.com (yes, 2004 has gone missing)

2003 14,661
2002 12,586
2001 10,030
2000 13,061
1999 18,355

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Now that Chattown has joined the thread we can officially shut things down as any more conversation actually on topic would absolutely shock me.

clenz
May 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM

2003 14,661
2002 12,586
2001 10,030
2000 13,061
1999 18,355So it would seem, assuming 2004 is in the 15K range that the real jump didn't happen until the team starting winning.....

Silenoz
May 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM
A Chattanooga fan trying to trash talk an App fan (2-21 in last 23 meetings) would be like a Northern Arizona fan trying to trash talk a Montana fan (1-22 in last 23 meetings).

You'll also notice that the token NAU fans don't do it...

Plus NAU has actually been to/won a playoff game in the last quarter century...

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2012, 11:47 AM

2003 14,661
2002 12,586
2001 10,030
2000 13,061
1999 18,355

Those are more or less the numbers I was referring to.

To me, those figures are telling. It suggests that the alumni base or casual fans weren't all that interested in App football prior to 2005 (at least not to the level they are now). I do realize you factor some increase in the student body in there.

That is a bit of an outlier in the SoCon. Most of the schools in this conference have relatively consistent attendance regardless of the team's record (mostly, the same folks show up year after year). For example, Furman averaged around 11,000 fans per home game in 2009, in a season they went 5-6 and had a losing record for the first time in 10 years or so. In 2005, Furman averaged just over 12,000 fans in a season where Furman was a #1 team in the country and a top five team for most of the season with an appearance in the national semifinal. So, a slight attendance spike in a fantastic season, but not eyepopping.

I say that only to mention that the attendance spike at App is an odd thing to measure. They either had a dormant fan base that is now so hooked on ASU football they'll pack the stadium every week, or they had a bunch of folks get really into a couple of seasons and a few bad years will get them interested in something else. I don't think even App fans can answer which is correct.

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure what is funny about getting shut out offensively by a program that App State feels is far below them when you are about to move up. That result would make me a bit wary if I were you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jC5MkGu7eU

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 11:50 AM
A Chattanooga fan trying to trash talk an App fan (2-21 in last 23 meetings) would be like a Northern Arizona fan trying to trash talk a Montana fan (1-22 in last 23 meetings).

http://troll.me/images/ronald-mcdonald-call/just-wanted-to-tell-you-no-one-cares-what-you-think.jpg

dbackjon
May 8th, 2012, 11:51 AM

In 2003 we advanced further in the playoffs than Montana!!

Eh, that is all I got ;)

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jC5MkGu7eU

That's a cool video....Actually it's pretty gay, even for you. But in the context that I put it in, almost is more than enough.

Silenoz
May 8th, 2012, 11:53 AM
http://troll.me/images/ronald-mcdonald-call/just-wanted-to-tell-you-no-one-cares-what-you-think.jpg

But isn't that what the collective board (and your fellow, ashamed, Mocs fans) have been telling you since day one? ;)

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
But isn't that what the collective board (and your fellow, ashamed, Mocs fans) have been telling you since day one? ;)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPnHQ6vxRJJS3Oz1sbupqdWMNDMNWCQ wvgEgUjU-gEMIx6o-TwzKvFQh9fyA

MplsBison
May 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM
false.

Please don't accuse him of being a bad journalist - he's not even that. He uploads extended message board posts onto a free-hosted internet blog. Nothing more.

Silenoz
May 8th, 2012, 12:00 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPnHQ6vxRJJS3Oz1sbupqdWMNDMNWCQ wvgEgUjU-gEMIx6o-TwzKvFQh9fyA

Glad we're in agreement then. I look forward to your November or October (or maybe even September) disappearance this year

MplsBison
May 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
There might be a surge in attendance in the first couple of seasons out of curiosity, but after that it depends on how successful the team is. Prior to 2005, I'd guess that we averaged maybe 15,000 people per game. I could see a scenario where that happens again if we became a middle of the pack team. I could be wrong, because certainly the school is growing at a rapid pace, and you'd think that would keep the attendance numbers higher.

How about Marshall? Is that a fair test case for what App can expect?

whoanellie
May 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
this is just an observation: It is hard for AppSt. to develop a favorable relationship with the SunBelt Conference
when your school's Mascot & motto Yosef's translation is "Stick it where the Sun don't Shine". I feel for those App Grads getting a degree in Marketing.
and interned in the AD's office.

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Glad we're in agreement then. I look forward to your November or October (or maybe even September) disappearance this year

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-OX4w41UBP2Aaoik0u_7L2-C7lzAluQ7Qo7Ff09UO4tiwhSsW7j3zh2Sf

Tuscon
May 8th, 2012, 12:05 PM
You need to go talk ***** to the next group of teams to smack you around.. Run along.

Let's see, someone else is trash talking Sun Belt teams ESPN schedule when there isn't one for the FCS. Only responding.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Please don't accuse him of being a bad journalist - he's not even that. He uploads extended message board posts onto a free-hosted internet blog. Nothing more.

Sure.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com
http://www.college-sports-journal.com

Silenoz
May 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-OX4w41UBP2Aaoik0u_7L2-C7lzAluQ7Qo7Ff09UO4tiwhSsW7j3zh2Sf

Thank you for being unable to post any sort of real response(s) to my trash talking you and your program. I feel like I've accomplished something in shutting you up in this thread.

Anyways, back to the topic on hand; does the Sun Belt have any rules against their teams playing road games against FCS teams? I'm looking forward to the McNeese series and would hate to see that bought out

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Thank you for being unable to post any sort of real response(s) to my trash talking you and your program. I feel like I've accomplished something in shutting you up in this thread.

Anyways, back to the topic on hand; does the Sun Belt have any rules against their teams playing road games against FCS teams? I'm looking forward to the McNeese series and would hate to see that bought out

Chatt, you know you can't post the pics like that on the public board.

C'mon man.

Tuscon
May 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Sure.

Ummmm... what are you trying to prove by posting a link to your free-hosted internet blog?

TheRevSFA
May 8th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Serious question...does App State have the funding to move up?

ASUMountaineer
May 8th, 2012, 12:34 PM

No, what was funny was your prediction of Chatty's 2011 season. Then, jumping ship to root for the Vols.

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Let's see, someone else is trash talking Sun Belt teams ESPN schedule when there isn't one for the FCS. Only responding.

Here's the disconnect. A team moves up to get more "national recognition." FCS teams aren't interested in making a huge financial commitment to compete with Survivor on Tuesday nights. They like playing football on Saturdays.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Ummmm... what are you trying to prove by posting a link to your free-hosted internet blog?

Whatever.

Silenoz
May 8th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Chatts pic removed.

Damn, sorry Brock, I screwed up you link!

ASUMountaineer
May 8th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Here's the disconnect. A team moves up to get more "national recognition." FCS teams aren't interested in making a huge financial commitment to compete with Survivor on Tuesday nights. They like playing football on Saturdays.

Perhaps the fake GSU moved up for "national recognition," but I don't think all FCS move-ups do for that reason.

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2012, 12:41 PM
How about Marshall? Is that a fair test case for what App can expect?

I looked into that before. I recall that Marshall had a longer period of time averaging 20-25k a game, but after moving to FBS never saw a sustained attendance increase. Couple thousand for a few years, and then back down to where they were.

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Another disconnect is your continuous assumption that our only reason to move is for national recognition. The move is to join like-mined institutions and raise our ceiling. We don't fit in here any more and we've accomplished everything possible.

TheRevSFA
May 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Another disconnect is your continuous assumption that our only reason to move is for national recognition. The move is to join like-mined institutions and raise our ceiling. We don't fit in here any more and we've accomplished everything possible.

like-mined? like South Dakota School for Mines? WV Schools for Mines?

Or do you mean like minded academically...let's be fair..UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, and Arky State are lateral in terms of academics, not up

WH49er
May 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
The move is to join like-mined institutions and raise our ceiling.

Really? Please remind me how many doctoral programs Ap State has? I believe it's one.

Don't kid yourself, this is strictly a football move.

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Really? Please remind me how many doctoral programs Ap State has? I believe it's one.

Don't kid yourself, this is strictly a football move.

^Relies on the assumption that having a copious amount of doctoral programs is the only prerequisite for being like-mined with low-end FBS schools.

Oh sorry. Studying too much LSAT

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 01:12 PM
No, what was funny was your prediction of Chatty's 2011 season. Then, jumping ship to root for the Vols.

Dude, making stuff up doesn't help your argument. It weakens it.

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM
like-mined? like South Dakota School for Mines? WV Schools for Mines?

Or do you mean like minded academically...let's be fair..UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, and Arky State are lateral in terms of academics, not up

Any conference move to MAC, CUSA or SBC will be a downgrade academically, but enrollment numbers and sports programs are a different story.

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IUIDsYLBhk0/S_VBAF9rOzI/AAAAAAAABpw/iN76R7MtRp0/s400/diamond-mined-blk.jpg

WH49er
May 8th, 2012, 01:14 PM
^Relies on the assumption that having a copious amount of doctoral programs is the only prerequisite for being like-mined with low-end FBS schools.

Oh sorry. Studying too much LSAT

Just calling out your delusional thought process that a move for Ap State is some how an academic one.

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Dude, making stuff up doesn't help your argument. It weakens it.

Dude, you were conspicuously absent from October to February. When you realized all your predictions were shot, you bailed and threw on your orange, DUDE. Com'on bro. xlolx

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Just calling out your delusional thought process that a move for Ap State is some how an academic one.

My statement is that on an institutional move. As a whole. Did you get laughed off the CUSA board already? You're really reaching for this one.

TheRevSFA
May 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Any conference move to MAC, CUSA or SBC will be a downgrade academically, but enrollment numbers and sports programs are a different story.

You just contradicted yourself. You said you wanted to move with like-minded (I ignored your typo this time..only needed to make one joke) institutions, which is a statement used for academics..now academics is a step down.

So your move is solely football based.

No one answered my question earlier: how much does App State have in the kitty for this? can they actually afford the move? Or would they move, then get the money..kinda like putting the cart before the horse

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Chatty highlights (http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+get+google+to+not+return+search+re sults&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=ch%CE%B1tt%CE%B1nooga%20football%20highligh ts&pq=ch%CE%B1ttanooga%20football%20highlights&cp=18&gs_id=7j&xhr=t&q=ch%CE%B1tt%CE%B1nooga+footb%CE%B1ll+highlights&pf=p&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&oq=ch%CE%B1tt%CE%B1nooga+footb%CE%B1ll+highlights&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=b001bd3a40637c26&biw=1103&bih=493)

http://www.addictivefonts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/30-Free-Cute-Girly-Fonts.jpg

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 01:24 PM
You just contradicted yourself. You said you wanted to move with like-minded (I ignored your typo this time..only needed to make one joke) institutions, which is a statement used for academics..now academics is a step down.

So your move is solely football based.

No one answered my question earlier: how much does App State have in the kitty for this? can they actually afford the move? Or would they move, then get the money..kinda like putting the cart before the horse

It's an overall move. It doesn't necessary have to be an unanimous upgrade to every single aspect of the University. That is not a contradiction.

The difference in academics is a marginal one anyway. It's also not as important in conference membership as athletics and student body size. It's a sports conference, not a chess league.

Sammy94
May 8th, 2012, 01:26 PM
you bailed and threw on your orange, DUDE. Com'on bro.

Nothing wrong with throwing on the orange.

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Dude, you were conspicuously absent from October to February. When you realized all your predictions were shot, you bailed and threw on your orange, DUDE. Com'on bro. xlolx

Actually, it was November 18 to January 20. Chattanooga was eliminated from the playoffs in October. Are you sure you want to continue to drive this fail train?

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Actually, it was November 18 to January 20. Chattanooga was eliminated from the playoffs in October. Are you sure you want to continue to drive this fail train?

The point is, you disappeared because you're a child that can't eat his crow. Too bad your other team is a big orange loser as well...

MplsBison
May 8th, 2012, 01:38 PM

He doesn't even pay for a hosted domain.

Don't waste your time.

asumike83
May 8th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Rev: to answer your question, yes, App can afford the move based on our current athletics budget, ticket sales, advertising revenues and merchandise. We are also in the middle of a $200 Million fundraising campaign, of which $135M has been raised and $50M of the total will go toward athletics. The feasibility study looked at what our current revenues and expenses are (our athletic department does operate in the black) as well as what the expected increase in both would be after an FBS move. About as exciting as watching paint dry, but you can read the report here: http://www.goasu.com/pdf8/805466.pdf

The question at this point is not whether we CAN afford it but whether we can find a conference that will generate enough excitement, additional ticket sales and revenues that we SHOULD do it. That answer is still to be seen but I am confident that when the dust settles, we will do what is right for Appalachian.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 8th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Rev: to answer your question, yes, App can afford the move based on our current athletics budget, ticket sales, advertising revenues and merchandise. We are also in the middle of a $200 Million fundraising campaign, of which $135M has been raised and $50M of the total will go toward athletics. The feasibility study looked at what our current revenues and expenses are (our athletic department does operate in the black) as well as what the expected increase in both would be after an FBS move. About as exciting as watching paint dry, but you can read the report here: http://www.goasu.com/pdf8/805466.pdf

The question at this point is not whether we CAN afford it but whether we can find a conference that will generate enough excitement, additional ticket sales and revenues that we SHOULD do it. That answer is still to be seen but I am confident that when the dust settles, we will do what is right for Appalachian.

Those same guys that put the study together had said that the second paragraph was not doable in the Sun Belt though didn't they? I remember reading that App officials (might have been rumor) said that the Sun Belt was not an option.

Hooner49
May 8th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Let me reply to the OP this way: lol no.

asknoquarter21
May 8th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Those same guys that put the study together had said that the second paragraph was not doable in the Sun Belt though didn't they? I remember reading that App officials (might have been rumor) said that the Sun Belt was not an option.

I was under the impression that with the new structure the SunBelt would be taking that it is possible. While games against Louisiana L and M as well as North Texas weren't profitable for us adding GSU and GState certainly would make that easier.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2012, 02:03 PM
He doesn't even pay for a hosted domain.

Don't waste your time.

Untrue.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 8th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I was under the impression that with the new structure the SunBelt would be taking that it is possible. While games against Louisiana L and M as well as North Texas weren't profitable for us adding GSU and GState certainly would make that easier.

Those couple/few games a year ain't gonna make the difference. It's got to have more to it's hinges than that. TV contract and thus conference payouts, etc.

You would have almost zero net effect on fans in any of those games at home. Traveling decreases the money outlay slightly but there is no way that 100K-200K is the deciding factor.

MplsBison
May 8th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Maybe App just wants to offer more young men the chance to be scholarship student athletes?

As far as I know, you can't provide 85 scholarships as a member of the Southern Conference (or the Big Sky confernece, for that matter).

asujch
May 8th, 2012, 02:34 PM

You also have to realize that the stadium was expanded in 07' which allowed for more people to pack in to KBS. When attendance numbers were in the 15 & 16K it was because that was as many as KBS could handle. I'm not downplaying the national titles or Michigan win, though that definitely put butts in seats.

clenz
May 8th, 2012, 02:39 PM
You also have to realize that the stadium was expanded in 07' which allowed for more people to pack in to KBS. When attendance numbers were in the 15 & 16K it was because that was as many as KBS could handle. I'm not downplaying the national titles or Michigan win, though that definitely put butts in seats.

I don't doubt that expanding helped attendance....BUT

Had Eric Sanders not fumbled you the game in 05, and you not beaten Michigan in 07 do you honestly think you'd be averaging 24-25k per game?

If you're football program was...say....just like UNI's in that you are good every year, playoffs 70-80% of the time, but no titles would you still be at 24-25k?

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Had Eric Sanders not fumbled you the game in 05, and you not beaten Michigan in 07 do you honestly think you'd be averaging 24-25k per game?

If you're football program was...say....just like UNI's in that you are good every year, playoffs 70-80% of the time, but no titles would you still be at 24-25k?

Winning brings people back, but so does this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL-6MdsK2N0&list=UUEkjuXtUX1OMy-SZl8-K8_w&index=22&feature=plcp

asujch
May 8th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Winning brings people back, but so does this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL-6MdsK2N0&list=UUEkjuXtUX1OMy-SZl8-K8_w&index=22&feature=plcp

+1

bigCasu
May 8th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Pretty sure that ball was spiked out of Sanders hand....

We can talk domino effect all day long, but it happened. Cant take away the past.

AshevilleApp2
May 8th, 2012, 03:02 PM

I'd answer your last question no, due to the fact that before 2005 we were good every year and made the playoffs 70%-80% of the time.

In response to your Sanders fumbling away the game statement, I'd remind you that he played a damn good game considering the pressure our defensive ends put on him. And if Richie Williams had been healthy, the game wouldn't have been close. :p

chattownmocs
May 8th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Alright guys, we get it! App State is 5 years passed their prime and 5 years too late. Let these scrubs run along and fail. But if they plan on joining the Sun Belt in 2013, they are going out of the SOCON bloodied and beaten by Chattanooga.

Silenoz
May 8th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Damn, sorry Brock, I screwed up you link!
Noooooooooo

I forgive you

Silenoz
May 8th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I see Chattown is still at it too. Must be hard living with that much denial

91Niner
May 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhahahaha....

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhahahaha....

Ignorance
noun
the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

I'm sure he thinks that UNCc has better academics than Furman and Davidson too xrolleyesx

TheRevSFA
May 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Thanks Mike,

I personally don't see the Sun Belt as the right move for you. I also don't see it as the right move for Texas State..especially if the SBC adds you because Texas State becomes an outlyer. However, that might help them move at some point.

Anyways, if you go to the SBC, best of luck. I think App can compete in FBS..I just figured it'd be in CUSA

asujch
May 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Alright guys, we get it! App State is 5 years passed their prime and 5 years too late. Let these scrubs run along and fail. But if they plan on joining the Sun Belt in 2013, they are going out of the SOCON bloodied and beaten by Chattanooga.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

I can't wait for you to go into hibernation after your miserable mocs are sub .500 once again this season.

Apphole
May 8th, 2012, 03:27 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

I can't wait for you to go into hibernation after your miserable mocs are sub .500 once again this season.

If, come April, Chattown comes out and sees is shadow, there will be another team added to the FCS playoff field.

Silenoz
May 8th, 2012, 03:30 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

SERIOUSLY. Much like with JBB, the psychology at work here is utterly fascinating and keeps me coming back for more

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southern/tennessee_chattanooga/opponents_records.php?teamid=165

TheRevSFA
May 8th, 2012, 04:01 PM
If, come April, Chattown comes out and sees is shadow, there will be another team added to the FCS playoff field.

Groundhog Day is at Gobbler's Knob..Chatttownmocs Day is at Slobonmy Knob....

asumike83
May 8th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Kinda like last year when your NFL-caliber QB was going to come into Boone and run us off the field? To his credit, he did throw a game-changing TD pass in the 4th Quarter!

xlolx

This kid is great. Nice work!

WUTNDITWAA
May 8th, 2012, 04:11 PM

Regular season attendance in 2005 was north of 23,000, so yes, the change in administration had a lot to do with it. I'll see if I can't dig up the regular season numbers when I get off of work.

PaladinFan
May 9th, 2012, 06:56 AM

Not sure I buy that argument.

You look back at 2004, and App drew 8k fans for a home game against the Citadel, and only around 11k for a home game against top 20 EKU. Not to say stadium expansion had nothing to do with increased attendance (you can only fit as many folks as you can fit), but it is not as though App fans were packing out KBS prior to 2005.

It's hard to quantify it, but as an opposing fan there was a noticeable increase in the travel contingent as well from 2005 on. I vividly remember 2003, where App brought less fans to Greenville than Wofford did.

WUTNDITWAA
May 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM
The first couple of games that we hosted in 2004 were played during the remnants of hurricanes. That was the year it seemed the Florida Gulf Coast got hit by one almost every weekend for about a month and a half. The game against El Cid should've been postponed. It was not safe, but the do-nothing athletics administration seemingly didn't want to be bothered with what would've had to be done by postponing the game. Roads were washed out. Trees down everywhere. It took months for some places to fully recover. Those were 8,000 hardy souls.

AppAlum2003
May 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Today I learned that teams that win football games have more people show up on Saturdays.

Thanks, AGS! xthumbsupx

Smitty
May 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Today I learned that teams that win football games have more people show up on Saturdays.

Thanks, AGS! xthumbsupx

Oh so that is why our stands are always empty. It all makes sense now...

ASU_Fanatic
May 9th, 2012, 09:10 AM

Lol

cbarrier90
May 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM

xbowx Bless you, Cmitty. Hopefully Speir turns things around for you. You deserve it. xlolx

SpeedkingATL
May 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM

Actually at Western the stands are only empty AFTER the band has played at half time....

Rekdiver
May 9th, 2012, 09:21 AM
The demographic of the ASU fan and graduate has changed dramatically. More business grads and fewer teachers. Higher salaries and more undergrads from urban areas. Those graduates are now in their late 20's and early 40's. Makes a huge economid difference.

It make no sense to worry about UNC-C. They did what they needed to do and they will find out rather quickly what growing pains are. For instance the goal for the basketball team wahs to be a perrenial top 20 program since the final 4 run in the last century. Easier said than done. The will also find that with all of the other school grads in Charlotte that interest in UNC-C football will tail off very quickly, especially with a few large deficit losses. I do hazard that a Tuesday night game might draw more fans to a UNC-C game than in Boone.

Our stated goal from the beginning was for a move up was economic viability and regional rivalries. It may not materialize. Ther are many factors to balance that our Chancellor has to take into consideration.

The smart money who knows how to market would creat conference rivalries between CCC, ASU ECU and ODU. These rivalries would cut into the market share of the ACC schools. It truly works better with the 4 in the mix.

Apphole
May 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Surprise BOT meeting tomorrow....

Silenoz
May 9th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Surprise BOT meeting tomorrow....
You assh*les better still come to Missoula next year!

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM
There must be some mistake. The Georgia State fans on the SBC board assured me that Benson has a grand plan to make the SBC into Big East Lite and that both App. State and GSU were out of the question.

Apphole
May 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM
The meeting doesn't necessarily mean a move is coming this week, but I'm having trouble coming up with other reasons for an impromptu BOT meeting right after all this movement talk that is reminiscent of the meeting called by UNCC just before their announcement.

Tuscon
May 9th, 2012, 12:30 PM
There must be some mistake. The Georgia State fans on the SBC board assured me that Benson has a grand plan to make the SBC into Big East Lite and that both App. State and GSU were out of the question.

To be fair, most of us say GS is out of the question for now. I believe the consensus is invite Appy and NMSU.

Smitty
May 9th, 2012, 12:35 PM
The meeting doesn't necessarily mean a move is coming this week, but I'm having trouble coming up with other reasons for an impromptu BOT meeting right after all this movement talk that is reminiscent of the meeting called by UNCC just before their announcement.

People on MMB are coming up with other reasons...

TheRevSFA
May 9th, 2012, 12:44 PM

One BOT will vote yes..the next will vote no..then the deciding vote:

http://snakkle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/chuck-norris-dodgeball-2004-movie-photo-GC.jpg

Apphole
May 9th, 2012, 12:47 PM
People on MMB are coming up with other reasons...

The one guy says that conference alignment isn't on the agenda. I find it hard to believe that anyone with access to the agenda of a secret meeting would comment on the MMB, let alone comment about the meeting. That's grounds for termination.

I'm pretty sure the guy is either mistaken and is looking at the public schedule for the June meeting or he's just lying.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM
To be fair, most of us say GS is out of the question for now. I believe the consensus is invite Appy and NMSU.

Or, to be more specific, that they want GSU but GSU just isn't going to get enough money fast enough to make the move.

asumike83
May 9th, 2012, 01:08 PM
One BOT will vote yes..the next will vote no..then the deciding vote:

http://snakkle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/chuck-norris-dodgeball-2004-movie-photo-GC.jpg

******in' Chuck Norris...

http://movieboozer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/image0055.jpg

TheRevSFA
May 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM
******in' Chuck Norris...

http://movieboozer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/image0055.jpg'

my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard....

Apphole
May 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM
'

my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPNaJLhmj6g&feature=related

91Niner
May 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Dang, still no SB invite for App State?

AmsterBison
May 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM

Gotta bump the thread once a day until it happens.

Apphole
May 10th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Less time trolling App fans, more time fighting identity theft...
http://www.wfae.org/wfae/stat_search.cfm?id=8635&action=display

91Niner
May 10th, 2012, 09:44 PM
oooh, nice "deflection".......seriously, I'm starting to feel sorry for you guys. I mean, you can't even get a bid to a league we turned down weeks ago. Sad......:(

Smitty
May 11th, 2012, 07:03 AM
So your BoT meeting was cancelled

AppAlum2003
May 11th, 2012, 07:16 AM
oooh, nice "deflection".......seriously, I'm starting to feel sorry for you guys. I mean, you can't even get a bid to a league we turned down weeks ago. Sad......:(

Thanks for the sentiment. But we App fans will be fine. We will drown our sorrows in a few months while watching an actual football game with our actual team playing.

Can't wait to see how that gigantic TV market of Charlotte helps you guys dominate Conf USA!

cannonballgsu
May 11th, 2012, 07:33 AM

Y'all better hope that App goes FBS before they play you. How embarrassing would it be to get stomped into the dirt by some lowly FCS team?

Apphole
May 11th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Y'all better hope that App goes FBS before they play you. How embarrassing would it be to get stomped into the dirt by some lowly FCS team?

They don't have to play App to get stomped by a lowly FCS team. That will happen frequently over the next 3-4 years. Not to mention, App won't be an FCS team when they actually become an official FBS team.

asumike83
May 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM

What's the rush? We will be FBS by 2014, don't worry. Now, let's get that game scheduled!

The Cats
May 11th, 2012, 09:05 AM
App could get a SBC invite as early as today?

Did ASU get that invite today?

91Niner
May 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM

Very true, losing to App in football anytime after our 1st couple years would be very embarrassing.

cannonballgsu
May 11th, 2012, 10:15 AM
App could get a SBC invite as early as today?

Did ASU get that invite today?

The title should have been "App Could Get a SBC Invite as Early as Tomorrow?"

asumike83
May 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Very true, losing to App in football anytime after our 1st couple years would be very embarrassing.

That is the reason you won't see us on the schedule.

cannonballgsu
May 11th, 2012, 11:35 AM

Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep better at night...

realgsu
May 11th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Boy..I can't imagine the pain that Southern and App must feel these days. Bet the meth business in Boone and Statesboro is boomin right about now!

asumike83
May 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Boy..I can't imagine the pain that Southern and App must feel these days. Bet the meth business in Boone and Statesboro is boomin right about now!

Nope, I'm good. A bit frustrated with the whole process but actually very excited for the upcoming campaign. Ask me after we have a season with a DII loss and an NAIA loss at home, my answer will probably be different.

CrazyCat
May 11th, 2012, 02:59 PM
What mens sports would be cut or what womens sports added for title IX compliance ?

cannonballgsu
May 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM

Pain? You mean like your "coach" felt when he was assaulted with a gatorade cooler? Oh, no, you mean like when you were reamed by a team that no longer exists right? Oh, no, wait, I've got it. You mean like when you traveled to a DII school and got your butts whipped.

Am I warm?

ASU_Fanatic
May 11th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I mean I'm not too torn up about it. The only reason I wanted to move up was because I wanted to get to play the likes of UNCC, ECU, etc as OOC games on a regular basis. App is still going to land players over ECU and UNCC even at the FCS level because they are going to remain National Championship contenders every year whereas at the FBS we would be looking to go to 7-5 and play in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. We're sticking with GaSo and it'd be great if WCU could reach respectability again. I'm rooting for them, I at least want the rivalry to be competitive again, it's one of the neatest rivalries as far as geographic locations go in CFB.

The Cats
May 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Pain? You mean like your "coach" felt when he was assaulted with a gatorade cooler? Oh, no, you mean like when you were reamed by a team that no longer exists right? Oh, no, wait, I've got it. You mean like when you traveled to a DII school and got your butts whipped.

Am I warm?

Why would they feel any pain, when they got an invite to the C-USA and Ga Southern had to implement an eight year financial plan that would enable them to move up? Sometimes it's just better to keep you mouth shut.

PaladinFan
May 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM
What mens sports would be cut or what womens sports added for title IX compliance ?

Wrestling would be first to go, I think.

asumike83
May 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Why would they feel any pain, when they got an invite to the C-USA and Ga Southern had to implement an eight year financial plan that would enable them to move up? Sometimes it's just better to keep you mouth shut.

Would I be happy about the Sun Belt invite if I were them? Yes. Would it make it any less painful to watch my team lose? No.

I have no problem with GA State. With exception of a few, I've actually had good conversations with several of their fans. However, they are going to have a very rough go of it this year with a full CAA schedule. They would probably do well to repeat last year's 3-8 record.

alvinkayak6
May 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I don't think the SBC is a good spot for App State. When you are talking about a potential ceiling as a third tier bowl game, poorly attended in Detroit or New Orleans you are going to lose the mighty FCS brand. Just a personal opinion.....the ship may have already sailed.

asumike83
May 11th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I don't think the SBC is a good spot for App State. When you are talking about a potential ceiling as a third tier bowl game, poorly attended in Detroit or New Orleans you are going to lose the mighty FCS brand. Just a personal opinion.....the ship may have already sailed.

I understand that perspective but it is not a permanent ceiling. App would not be handcuffed by the conference at all, there is no exit fee. If we earned the opportunity to get an invite from a conference with better bowl tie-ins, nothing would stop that from happening. There is also the the chance to contribute to improving the conference and getting better postseason opportunities that way. To be clear, I will miss the playoffs like crazy. I also have no delusions that going FBS will suddenly make us nationally relevant. The higher ceiling and chance for better non-conference home schedules is what excites me.

Regardless of what division you play in, good things will happen if you prove yourself on the field. Although it is easy to over complicate things with all this realignment, I just try to remind myself of that. Win games, everything will be alright.

cannonballgsu
May 11th, 2012, 11:15 PM

Are you wrong often?

Smitty
May 12th, 2012, 08:26 AM
App would not be handcuffed by the conference at all, there is no exit fee.

Yet...

I have a feeling that conferences are going to start protecting their "assets" so they don't go the way of the WAC

asumike83
May 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Yet...

I have a feeling that conferences are going to start protecting their "assets" so they don't go the way of the WAC

Possible but in this case, I doubt it. The addition of an exit fee would have to be voted in by the member schools. With constant realignment and so many eyes on C-USA, I don't believe that it would pass.

gasoutherneagle
May 12th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Yet...

No... Go the way of the Patriot!

91Niner
May 13th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep better at night...

I sleep fine knowing we got 2 conf. invitations that App wanted.....xthumbsupx

BucBisonAtLarge
May 13th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I sleep fine knowing we got 2 conf. invitations that App wanted.....xthumbsupx

Man, I was countin sheep. Trolls sleep easy.

whoanellie
May 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
this thread seems to stay alive as the days on poor ol' App's great announcement just drag along.... did I hear a UNC-Pembroke is playing Notre Dame? no
I was just mess'n with you.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 08:43 AM
Tony Barnart (CBS Sportscaster) just tweeted that the SBC will announce today or tomorrow that they are going to 12 football playing teams.

@MrCFB

"Sun Belt Conference will announce today or tomorrow if it will go to 12 FB teams. With Ga. State in, Ga. Southern should get a strong look."

App and GaSo in?!

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2012, 08:48 AM
Tony Barnart (CBS Sportscaster) just tweeted that the SBC will announce today or tomorrow that they are going to 12 football playing teams.

@MrCFB

"Sun Belt Conference will announce today or tomorrow if it will go to 12 FB teams. With Ga. State in, Ga. Southern should get a strong look."

App and GaSo in?!

Arlington and Little Rock to start new FBS programs? Probably not.

Seriously though, SAVE THE WAC!

App St
Ga Southern
JMU
Liberty
Delaware
Idaho
New Mexico St
Portland St

asumike83
May 23rd, 2012, 08:49 AM

@MrCFB

App and GaSo in?!

Not to come off as arrogant, but I really think we are in the Sun Belt if we make an effort. Maybe he knows something we don't but Charlie seems pretty hell-bent on going after C-USA.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 08:53 AM
Not to come off as arrogant, but I really think we are in the Sun Belt if we make an effort. Maybe he knows something we don't but Charlie seems pretty hell-bent on going after C-USA.

Oh he's hell bent all right. And he's not above publicly groveling to get us there. We would have been SBC a month ago if he had even remotely perused it. If the SBC moves to expand and Charlie doesn't jump off the CUSA jock and accepts an invite, he needs to be lynched.

GlassOnion
May 23rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Oh he's hell bent all right. And he's not above publicly groveling to get us there. We would have been SBC a month ago if he had even remotely perused it. If the SBC moves to expand and Charlie doesn't jump off the CUSA jock and accepts an invite, he needs to be lynched.

Let Charlie play. As far as I'm concerned he's done a great job so far, with the exception of Capel. This game is still going, and I think he'll pull it out late.

Smitty
May 23rd, 2012, 09:12 AM

He should realize that after taking UNC-C the CUSA doesn't need an additional NC team in that area, so best chances are the Sun Belt. Although would it really benefit the teams in the Sun Belt to add App? I'm too lazy to search but did someone come up with how far each team would travel to face each other?

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 09:18 AM
He should realize that after taking UNC-C the CUSA doesn't need an additional NC team in that area, so best chances are the Sun Belt. Although would it really benefit the teams in the Sun Belt to add App? I'm too lazy to search but did someone come up with how far each team would travel to face each other?

We are in the SBC footprint and we would add much needed notoriety to the conference. Every single fan on the SBC board has a massive hard on for App State.

You're right about Cobb and CUSA. The guy needs to get us to the FBS now and maybe attempt a CUSA after.

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2012, 09:36 AM
We are in the SBC footprint and we would add much needed notoriety to the conference. Every single fan on the SBC board has a massive hard on for App State.

You're right about Cobb and CUSA. The guy needs to get us to the FBS now and maybe attempt a CUSA after.

The Sunbelt does not have a footprint. They take just about whatever team is interested. That is how you got a football conference with Idaho and Middle Tennessee State.

I suppose App State is in the footprint if the footprint is "East of the Mississippi."

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2012, 09:52 AM
The Sunbelt does not have a footprint. They take just about whatever team is interested.

Is there a school the Sun Belt would turn down because of location?

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Is there a school the Sun Belt would turn down because of location?

Liberty

eaglewraith
May 23rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
The Sunbelt does not have a footprint. They take just about whatever team is interested. That is how you got a football conference with Idaho and Middle Tennessee State.

I suppose App State is in the footprint if the footprint is "East of the Mississippi."

Except Idaho isn't in the Sun Belt.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
So now that the Sun Belt is "officially closed to new members", per Troy's president, will this thread now pass into legend? xlolx

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
Except Idaho isn't in the Sun Belt.

I didn't say Idaho is currently in the SunBelt.

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
So now that the Sun Belt is "officially closed to new members", per Troy's president, will this thread now pass into legend? xlolx

But the invite is coming as early as tomorrow. Does Troy's president trump an Arkansas State "insider?"

WH49er
May 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Have you guys burnt CC's house to the ground yet?

If the moratorium returns it is a no-brainier he should be fired.

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
This is a pretty good article: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/05/23/bmurphy/sun_belt_conference_rules_out_taking_idaho_member

From Karl Benson (Sun Belt commissioner):

"We are not pursuing additional members at this time. To squelch the speculation of a football championship game, it is not high on our radar screen and priority list," Commissioner Karl Benson said. "... We wanted to be fair (to the schools that have contacted us). At this juncture, the Sun Belt shouldn't be considered a landing spot whether it's an FCS member or an existing FBS member."

Benson, the former commissioner of the WAC, said he spoke with Idaho Athletic Director Rob Spear about the "direction the Sun Belt was headed." Benson said the Sun Belt's announcement "allows both Idaho and New Mexico State to know the direction the Sun Belt is headed. Personally, I wish the best for the University of Idaho and New Mexico State."

First of all, jee-whiz! Karl! ... I know you have to act on behalf of your new employers, but come on man! Weren't you just the comissioner of the WAC like...months ago??

Second of all, I'll say it again because it's worth repeating: SAVE THE WAC.

App St, GA Southern, Liberty, JMU, Delaware, Portland St -- if you guys want the opportunity to move up a tier in college football, this could be your only chance in a generation to do that. Approach the WAC and offer to put your football programs in that conference in exchange for good terms and an invitation. Would also require PSU to put non-football in the WAC and then ask nicely for Boise St to keep non-football programs in the WAC, which seems they'd like to do if possible.

Thirdly, not all hope is lost for the CUSA. There's about to be another huge shift when it's announced that the new BCS championship format is a 4 team playoff with the two semifinal games being the Rose Bowl and the new bowl between the SEC and Big XII, with each of those 4 conference's champions being an automatic participant by virtue of those bowl game tie-ins.

The top football programs in the ACC will be falling over themselves to get into the last remaining spots in the SEC, Big XII or possibly even the Big Ten (Pitt, Maryland?). There's already rumors flying of Clemson and Florida St to the Big XII and Virginia Tech to the SEC.

The ACC will in turn respond by taking Big East schools and the Big East will in turn respond by going back to the ol' well (CUSA) as well as probably MAC schools. ETC. It keeps rolling downhill...

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
There are no "last remaining" spaces in any conference. If the SEC wanted to become a 32 team non-NCAA league exclusively for CBS, chances are they could do it.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Have you guys burnt CC's house to the ground yet?

If the moratorium returns it is a no-brainier he should be fired.

Agreed

MplsBison
May 23rd, 2012, 01:30 PM
There are no "last remaining" spaces in any conference. If the SEC wanted to become a 32 team non-NCAA league exclusively for CBS, chances are they could do it.

Of course there are.

In the sense of 4 super(regional) conferences at 16 teams each.

Apphole
May 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.thecampussocialite.com/wp-content/uploads/blue-balls-275x300.jpg

TheRevSFA
May 23rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Can we change the title of the thread to "App not getting a Sun Belt invite today?"

ASUMountaineer
May 23rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Can we change the title of the thread to "App not getting a Sun Belt invite today?"

Come on Rev, that just cuts to the bone!

TheRevSFA
May 23rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Come on Rev, that just cuts to the bone!

I couldn't resist. I'm sorry. I'm a terrible person.

TheRevSFA
May 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Awwwwww Apphole neg repped me

You'd think the man would appreciate a good sarcastic jab

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
There is a certain kind of man that goes around neg repping the comments he doesn't like. I won't go into a great deal of analysis on that type of man but it ain't good.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 23rd, 2012, 09:56 PM

Seriously? The Sun Belt probably has the tightest footprint of any FBS conference. It surely has a better footprint than the old CAA stretching from Boston to Atlanta. Talk about a frequent flyer mile league.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/SunBeltLocations5.png

whoanellie
May 23rd, 2012, 10:30 PM
and when did this thread start? Anyday now? how about the 12 of never?

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Seriously? The Sun Belt probably has the tightest footprint of any FBS conference. It surely has a better footprint than the old CAA stretching from Boston to Atlanta. Talk about a frequent flyer mile league.

The point is that the SunBelt has never appeared to have a focus on geographic area. The conference has long had a myriad of teams from all points on the compass. So, to say that a team fits a "footprint" in that conference is misleading. That conference morphs more than any other college conference I can remember, and so what it is today is not what it was five years ago, and isn't what it will be five years from now. It is, in short, a conference that takes on "doesn't fit quite rights" wherever they may be found.

Even the conference name speaks to its nature of being an east coast/west coast generally undefined area.

Apphole
May 24th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Anyway, looks like zombie WAC is the likely destination for App, GaSo Liberty ect. A dissapointment for sure, but an improvement nonetheless. The only question is football only or all sports. I'm hoping for football only.

https://twitter.com/jeffcaves/status/205448237887401984

Smitty
May 24th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Wouldn't it be interesting if they just decided to let the WAC die rather than add schools

Apphole
May 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Wouldn't it be interesting if they just decided to let the WAC die rather than add schools

The NCAA is very unlikely to let an entire conference die if there's any hope of saving it, even the WAC.

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Anyway, looks like zombie WAC is the likely destination for App, GaSo Liberty ect. A dissapointment for sure, but an improvement nonetheless. The only question is football only or all sports. I'm hoping for football only.

https://twitter.com/jeffcaves/status/205448237887401984

This is like watching a train wreck.

Apphole
May 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
This is like watching a train wreck.
From a burning building

Smitty
May 24th, 2012, 08:26 AM
From a burning building

Being washed away by a tidal wave...