PDA

View Full Version : What is going on at Murray State?

olcoach78
June 18th, 2006, 09:11 PM
It looks to me like they are setting up to go non scholarship for football pretty soon. Do you think there is any truth to this?

W. DeMontague
June 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Where did you hear this?

EKU05
June 18th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Given that they just put out quite a bit of money to draw another coach away from UTM that would be almost a complete 180 from everything else they've done recently. Matt Griffin would not have gone to a program where that was even a possibility. If anything (and I hate to admit this)...I think Murray football might be about to enter a very good period.

Are you thinking of Morehead State which already is non-scholarship?

dbackjon
June 18th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Agreed, EKU - you don't pay to get a new coach to downgrade the program.

Golden Eagle
June 18th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I agree with EKU05, I think they're trying to upgrade their program.

JaxSinfonian
June 19th, 2006, 12:50 AM
It looks to me like they are setting up to go non scholarship for football pretty soon.
What is "It," and how does it look like the scenario you described?

Do you think there is any truth to this?
Until I hear more, the answer can only be no.

OSRacer
June 19th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Absolutely no truth to that line of thinking....Murray has a good staff in place and will again be cometitive (not sure when). We are not in real good shape talent wise but I think Coach Griffin and his staff recruited an outstanding class considering the circumstances...

tough schedule this year - could make for a very long season...

EKU05
June 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
The records themselves don't LOOK all that impressive, but what Griffin accomplished at UTM is nothing short of miraculous. There isn't any reason that he can't do even more and MSU, but I think it'll help a lot if Murray can start putting some people in the stands down there.

mainejeff
June 19th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I'd like to see Maine and Murray State do a home and home series.

nlwwln
June 19th, 2006, 09:27 PM
murray needs to add field turf instead of that green concrete they currently have, its obsolete and kids will imediatly rule you out if you dont have adequate playing surfaces. I think murray is a great school and isnt to far behind the elite teams in the OVC. As far as them going down to non scholarship well thats just incorrect. They are commited to fielding a full scholarship Division 1aa program not to mention its probably the best college in kentucky

OSRacer
June 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Hopefully we can stay healthy at Murray...we will be so thin this year its not even funny. I thought last year the MSU was poised for a good year, but I was sadly mistaken - our lack of discipline among coaches and players reflected in our performance on the field...I believe that is changing. The OVC should be on the upswing after several years of mediocre performances....lets hope so anyway. I believe we will have a team win a game or 2 in the playoffs this year. If I was a betting man, I would bet that this is the year that EKU makes a run, but EIU and JSU will be in the hunt.

Would love to do the home and home with Maine...

mainejeff
June 20th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Would love to do the home and home with Maine...

With all of your coaches' ties to Maine's program maybe it will happen eventually.

EKU05
June 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=OSRacer] I would bet that this is the year that EKU makes a run, but EIU and JSU will be in the hunt.
QUOTE]

I hope you're right. I'm pretty confident that we are the team to beat this year, but it's been to long (1997) since our last OVC title to take anything for granted. I do think the three teams you mentioned all have legit top 25 talent...3 top 25 teams for the OVC would be a great step in the right direction.

One thing that comforts me...JSU and EIU both have to come to Richmond this year!

OSRacer
June 20th, 2006, 04:18 PM
EKU looks like the team to beat...if they start off 2 and 1 with that opening schedule the OVC may be in trouble...EKU looks to have the potential to have a very explosive offense....

EKU05
June 20th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I don't have much else to say, but I wanted to see if my new signature was working...

Warrior to Racer
June 20th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I believe Coach Griffin came in to turn things around and continue his winning ways. I don't believe he would have left where he was if Murray State was going to drop 1AA football. That wouldn't have been in his best interest. Murray State is in the process from what I've heard to update the field. Coach Griffin wants the present one gone. They are somehow going to have to get the money and that is a working process. So cross your fingers and wish us well in that process. The new coach and staff and the new adm. are going to do their best I'm sure. New people in new jobs and all want to impress the rest. GO RACERS!!!!

EKU05
June 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
I think most of us agree with you entirely Warrior, but it should probably be pointed out that going non-scholarship does not involve "dropping 1AA football." Morehead State is still 1AA even in the Pioneer league.

galojay
June 21st, 2006, 10:03 PM
They are commited to fielding a full scholarship Division 1aa program not to mention its probably the best college in kentucky

What the heck? Best college in Kentucky? What propaganda have you been reading?

EKU05
June 21st, 2006, 10:13 PM
If you read the rankings that's true. You don't have to buy it. I don't buy that both MSU's and Western are in the top 60 Masters level institutions in the South and EKU isn't...at least not anymore. At this point they're holding a dark period against us. I was just looking at some rankings like two days ago....I'll see if I can find them. It all depends on how you rank things though, I wouldn't put too much stock in them.

EKU05
June 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM
For what it's worth, here is one of the most popular ranking systems...again, take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/univmas/umsouth/tier1/t1univmas_s_brief.php

OSRacer
June 21st, 2006, 10:44 PM
What the heck? Best college in Kentucky? What propaganda have you been reading?

As a Hilltopper fan, you have zero credibility talking propaganda with a message board like the hilltopperhaven floating around out there...try reading that thing and gaining a semblance of truth on there....

MSU has really elevated their academics over that past several years...it is truly a great school to be a part of right now...

ekufbfan
June 21st, 2006, 10:49 PM
For what it's worth, here is one of the most popular ranking systems...again, take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/univmas/umsouth/tier1/t1univmas_s_brief.php

MSU? You are talking about Kentucky's Public Ivy League U!

It's all in what you put on paper and send to the magazine. When Hanley was prez at EKU, I heard he would not allow those things to be sent in, typical of his presidency.:(
I think they have become so popular that parents and prospective college students put a lot of stock in them. Let's face it, Murray State has gotten a lot of mileage out of those rankings.

galojay
June 21st, 2006, 11:15 PM
As a Hilltopper fan, you have zero credibility talking propaganda with a message board like the hilltopperhaven floating around out there...try reading that thing and gaining a semblance of truth on there....

MSU has really elevated their academics over that past several years...it is truly a great school to be a part of right now...

What does Hilltopperhaven have to do with what he said? And what does HH have to do with my individual credibility? Surely a person coming from the "best college in Kentucky" knows better than to make silly fallacies as such.

I never said Murray wasn't a great school... but best in the state??? I doubt that seriously.

galojay
June 21st, 2006, 11:16 PM
MSU? You are talking about Kentucky's Public Ivy League U!

It's all in what you put on paper and send to the magazine. When Hanley was prez at EKU, I heard he would not allow those things to be sent in, typical of his presidency.:(
I think they have become so popular that parents and prospective college students put a lot of stock in them. Let's face it, Murray State has gotten a lot of mileage out of those rankings.

Exactly, what is reported to those mags are unaudited. I give Murray credit for one thing.... good marketing.