PDA

View Full Version : Why Give 24 Teams a Playoff Bid?

alvinkayak6
May 4th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I don't get why it's necessary to go to 24 teams in the FCS playoffs. The Ivy & Pioneer leagues are still not going to join the postseason tournament. Also, the Great West has vanished, and the lost limbs of the CAA & SOCON leagues are on ice. This makes the conference races more competitive and a playoff field less important for entry. I am not suggesting we let #1 & #2 play like NDSU & SHSU, but why 24?

344Johnson
May 5th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I don't get why it's necessary to go to 24 teams in the FCS playoffs. The Ivy & Pioneer leagues are still not going to join the postseason tournament. Also, the Great West has vanished, and the lost limbs of the CAA & SOCON leagues are on ice. This makes the conference races more competitive and a playoff field less important for entry. I am not suggesting we let #1 & #2 play like NDSU & SHSU, but why 24?

They don't want to hurt anyones feelings.

danefan
May 5th, 2012, 04:40 AM

Pioneer will get an AQ in the expansion.

But I do think the expansion should probably be put on ice until things settle down. There is a high potential for leagues like the Big South to even lose its AQ if it drops below 6 teams.

bonarae
May 5th, 2012, 04:40 AM
I think the playoff field should be pared down to 16 or even 12, just like previous years. They should open up to the reality of teams jumping ship...

The Eagle's Cliff
May 5th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I think schemes like this are meant "enhance the student-athlete experience" on one hand and to garner more interest in the tournament on the other.

darell1976
May 5th, 2012, 07:59 AM
So with 24 teams in the playoffs whats the most a conference could send to the playoffs? Could there realistically be 4 or 5 teams from 1 conference?

asumike83
May 5th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Why give 20 teams a bid, for that matter? I always thought 16 was perfect.

aceinthehole
May 5th, 2012, 08:44 AM

But I do think the expansion should probably be put on ice until things settle down. There is a high potential for leagues like the Big South to even lose its AQ if it drops below 6 teams.

+1

IF the Big South loses members and falls below 6 teams, the PFL could take that AQ and then playoffs won't need to expand.

aceinthehole
May 5th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Why give 20 teams a bid, for that matter? I always thought 16 was perfect.

Expansion was necessary to give AQ access to the NEC and Big South.

Brad82
May 5th, 2012, 09:01 AM
If I am a App. State I am against expansion. What do they have to gain by perhaps playing an extra game?
If I am a Rhody Ram I am for it.

Thought I read where it may slow down some of the FBS jumping/consideration or FCS conference changes?
I don't see how it can hurt giving the kids one more week to play for. What are we talking -20% of FCS teams in playoffs=no big deal.
In 84-85 some really good teams were left out.

danefan
May 5th, 2012, 02:16 PM
So with 24 teams in the playoffs whats the most a conference could send to the playoffs? Could there realistically be 4 or 5 teams from 1 conference?

The CAA had 5 when the bracket was only 16 teams.

There is no limit on the number from one conference.

darell1976
May 5th, 2012, 03:01 PM
The CAA had 5 when the bracket was only 16 teams.

There is no limit on the number from one conference.

Over a quarter of the teams was from the CAA...damn.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 5th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Yeah, it's probably time to wait and see what shakes out.

major095
May 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I think schemes like this are meant "enhance the student-athlete experience" on one hand and to garner more interest in the tournament on the other.

if they want to get more interest they need to make the playoffs profitable for teams partipating. it makes almost no sense to play when you lose money by doing so. have a payout for each round of the playoffs and higher seeded team in the bracket host. hate the bidding for home games concept... it's like trying to buy a championship.

MplsBison
May 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM

I don't think the fat lady has sung quite yet on the Pioneer AQ. We're still fighting the good fight against it.

aceinthehole
May 6th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I don't think the fat lady has sung quite yet on the Pioneer AQ. We're still fighting the good fight against it.

Who is that? Messageboard posts aren't going to deny the PFL an AQ.

It will happen for 2013, or a later season, but the NCAA's position on this topic is very clear. They will provide equal access to all eligble conferences.

MplsBison
May 6th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Who is that? Messageboard posts aren't going to deny the PFL an AQ.

It will happen for 2013, or a later season, but the NCAA's position on this topic is very clear. They will provide equal access to all eligble conferences.

The PFL has been exactly as eligible as they are now since 2001.

Nothing has changed there. The NCAA denied them "equal access" for the last 11 years. Don't see why that should change.

aceinthehole
May 7th, 2012, 08:01 AM
The PFL has been exactly as eligible as they are now since 2001.

Nothing has changed there. The NCAA denied them "equal access" for the last 11 years. Don't see why that should change.

True, but only recently has the PFL formally applied for an AQ and been denied. The NCAA will approve an AQ for the PFL (even if it means expansion to 24), it is just a matter of when they do it.

MplsBison
May 7th, 2012, 09:07 AM
True, but only recently has the PFL formally applied for an AQ and been denied. The NCAA will approve an AQ for the PFL (even if it means expansion to 24), it is just a matter of when they do it.

All the same, nothing has changed with the PFL since 2001. They weren't good enough then, they weren't good enough when they were denied and nothing has changed since. No reason to give something to someone who hasn't earned it just because they keep asking.

M Ruler
May 7th, 2012, 09:43 AM
All the same, nothing has changed with the PFL since 2001. They weren't good enough then, they weren't good enough when they were denied and nothing has changed since. No reason to give something to someone who hasn't earned it just because they keep asking.

Did you stop asking out your current boyfriend the first time he told you NO!?

As you know the "Squeaky wheel gets the oil"

Redbird Ray
May 8th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Because ISU got screwed last year and I still have a red *** about it!!!!!

LakesBison
May 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
should be 20, period, end of story. no way should any conference get more than 3 in.

bluehenbillk
May 9th, 2012, 08:37 AM
should be 20, period, end of story. no way should any conference get more than 3 in.

If you want to limit # of teams from a conference I'm fine with that, but limit the field as well - goto 12 or 16 then. Nobody needs to see multiple teams from the non-power conferences in the postseason, nobody.

SpeedkingATL
May 9th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I thought the 16 team format worked fine. 20 or 24 makes little difference as it is still only adding one week/round. If the intent is to get more participation from the non-power conferences then limit the number of teams to 3 (if it's 16) or 4 (if it's 20 or 24).

MplsBison
May 9th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I thought the 16 team format worked fine. 20 or 24 makes little difference as it is still only adding one week/round. If the intent is to get more participation from the non-power conferences then limit the number of teams to 3 (if it's 16) or 4 (if it's 20 or 24).

I guess it depends on how many 1st round byes. With 20 they made 4 teams from the "top 16", if you will, play in the first round instead of giving them all byes. I assume there will still only be 4 first round games, meaning now none of the top 16 will have to play in the first round.

Or, they could bump it up to 6 first round games and still make 4 of from the top 16 play.

DetroitFlyer
May 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7916865/football-championship-subdivision-set-expand-playoffs-24-teams-2013

Looking more and more like the PFL champion will enjoy an autobid in 2013!!

MplsBison
May 10th, 2012, 09:52 PM
The Pioneer will never win a playoff game and they will never host a playoff game.

PantherRob82
May 10th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I guess it depends on how many 1st round byes. With 20 they made 4 teams from the "top 16", if you will, play in the first round instead of giving them all byes. I assume there will still only be 4 first round games, meaning now none of the top 16 will have to play in the first round.

Or, they could bump it up to 6 first round games and still make 4 of from the top 16 play.

4 first round games= 8 teams
Winners + other 16 = 20 teams

The obvious new format would be 8 first round games and winners play 8 teams who got byes.

DFW HOYA
May 10th, 2012, 11:24 PM
The Pioneer will never win a playoff game and they will never host a playoff game.

If it's Dayton, maybe. Welcome Stadium can hold 11,000 and they can sell tickets. Parking is not an issue.

http://twif.gripapplication.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Dayton-Welcome-Stadium-Dunbar-Wolverines-ARTICLE.jpg

aceinthehole
May 11th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Some fans here may not like it or want to beleive it - but this is what NEC fans, including myself, have been preaching for more than 5 years on this messageboard. NCAA championships are about equal access for all quailifing conference champions! Congrats to all the PFL fans.

"The concern has been we haven't had a full tournament with automatic qualifiers for all the existing conferences. That's a big part of making sure everybody has an opportunity for their champion to participate," said Appalachian State athletic director Charlie Cobb, the new chairman of the Division I Football Championship Committee. "The sentiment is that by seeding the top eight, it keeps more to a truer sense of what a national tournament is about, and I think that's the beauty of what we have."

darell1976
May 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM

If NDSU was #4 in the MVFC you would be spitting nails.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
4 first round games= 8 teams
Winners + other 16 = 20 teams

The obvious new format would be 8 first round games and winners play 8 teams who got byes.

Why? There should be a reward for being the 16 best teams in the playoffs and that reward should be a first round bye.

Let teams 17-24 beat each other up on Thanksgiving weekend, when no one comes to the games anyway.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2012, 09:12 AM
If it's Dayton, maybe. Welcome Stadium can hold 11,000 and they can sell tickets. Parking is not an issue.

That's not the reason. I'm sure smaller stadiums than that have hosted.

The reason is because: A) no Pioneer team will ever sniff a seed and B) no Pioneer team has any money to be bidding on hosting an unseeded game.
They can't even afford to pay their coaches above a DIII level, let alone afford a single scholarship let alone be making bids to host games.

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2012, 09:18 AM
As noted earlier, Dayton could host a playoff game. So could Drake, at 15,000 seats:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/iowa/des_moines_drake.jpg

Msot of the others probably could not, however.

MplsBison
May 11th, 2012, 09:19 AM
As noted earlier, Dayton could hsot a playoff game. So could Drake, at 15,000 seats:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/iowa/des_moines_drake.jpg

Msot of the others probably could not, however.

Logistically, yes. That's it though. They'll never get a seed and they'll never outbid anyone.

Model Citizen
May 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Once the teams have been assigned to a region, isn't it all about seeds? In any given region, the top 2 get 1st rd byes. 3-4 seeds get first round home games...even if it's Jacksonville.

danefan
May 11th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Once the teams have been assigned to a region, isn't it all about seeds? In any given region, the top 2 get 1st rd byes. 3-4 seeds get first round home games...even if it's Jacksonville.

There is no explicit regionalization. That proposal was rejected.

kdinva
May 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM
.....The obvious new format would be 8 first round games and winners play 8 teams who got byes.

xthumbsupx

The 8 seeded teams get byes, teams 9-24 play 8 games the first weekend, resulting in 8 games the 2nd weekend, etc........other formats I've read here would give the top 4 seeds a double-bye, that makes no sense to me (or those 4 teams, I'd bet).

danefan
May 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM
xthumbsupx

The 8 seeded teams get byes, teams 9-24 play 8 games the first weekend, resulting in 8 games the 2nd weekend, etc........other formats I've read here would give the top 4 seeds a double-bye, that makes no sense to me (or those 4 teams, I'd bet).

I think you're right. I edited my post because it was wrong.

8 seeds.

8 first round games.

hapapp
May 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM
App State AD Charlie Cobb will be on the Mark Packer show tomorrow (Tues) morning to discuss the move to 24 teams. His show is available on Sirius/XM Channel 91 from 9 to 11 tomorrow morning.

MplsBison
May 14th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I think you're right. I edited my post because it was wrong.

8 seeds.

8 first round games.

In my opinion that's now how it should be. Let the top 16 rest the first week and not have to bid a bunch of money for games that no one is going to attend because of T-giving weekend.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
App State AD Charlie Cobb will be on the Mark Packer show tomorrow (Tues) morning to discuss the move to 24 teams. His show is available on Sirius/XM Channel 91 from 9 to 11 tomorrow morning.

I will look for that, thanks for the tip on that. I'm assuming those time are EST so I'll go check the web for information to make sure on that.

dgtw
May 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Actually, it is EDT. ;)

Yes, I did hear him plug the interview on his show today and those times are Eastern.

I won't be able to listen, could some kind soul give a Reader's Digest version of what he says?

URMite
May 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Even if there are no other teams with >6 Div I wins?

URMite
May 15th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Over a quarter of the teams was from the CAA...damn.

At that time, there were 8 AQs and 8 At-Large. So half the At-Large from the CAA, but if I'm not mistaken there were no power conference teams with >6 Div I wins left out except another CAA team.

JSUBison
May 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM
If the Ivy and SWAC would participate, then I'd be in favor of 24 teams in the playoffs. Until that happens, 20 is perfectly fine. Going to 24 team playoff with only 100 or so participating schools is just too many. Can someone post the breakdown of DII and DIII schools that make the playoffs by percentage?