PDA

View Full Version : New York Post: New East Coast college league possible

ramMan
May 3rd, 2012, 08:03 AM
Interesting article in today's New York Post...

New East Coast college league possible
By Lenn Robbins

Butler isn’t Syracuse or Pittsburgh or Missouri, but the Bulldogs have proven they can play with the big boys in college basketball. Now they will get a chance to prove it on a more regular basis.

As reported in The Post two weeks ago, the Atlantic 10 announced Wednesday it is adding Butler in 2013. The Bulldogs replace Temple, which is leaving for the Big East.

But what comes next could drastically change the look and direction of college athletics on the Eastern seaboard. The creation of a new conference, featuring programs poised to upgrade from FCS to FBS status, is being seriously explored by many institutions.

Most of those programs are in the Colonial Athletic Association but there are others in the America East Conference that could be in play. The timetable could be decided somewhat by the decisions made by George Mason and Virginia Commonwealth, two NCAA Tournament-proven programs.

Both CAA schools could join the A-10 as soon as this month.

One source said it was a done deal George Mason and VCU were headed to the A-10. The only obstacle preventing those programs from leaving now is the CAA’s policy forbidding a school that is leaving the league from playing in its conference tournament, thus making an NCAA berth extremely difficult to achieve.

Another source said the CAA office has been working furiously to convince those programs to stay. At the end of the day, of course, money probably will be the deciding factor.

If those two schools leave for the A-10, the major restructuring could be expedited. Schools such as Delaware, New Hampshire and Richmond along with other CAA members, could look for additional partners to form the new league.

One source said the amount of conversation between those schools and other perspective partners has been intense.

“People have been burning up the lines,’’ the source said. “Or cell minutes these days.’’

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/new_league_possible_rELtbZJR1YSqVmU0GKHgTI?utm_med ium=rss&utm_content=Basketball

henfan
May 3rd, 2012, 08:15 AM
Whatever happens, I just hope UD ends up in an all sport conference with schools who have similar institutional and athletic profiles and goals. I'd prefer it be at the FCS level for FB, especially for the time being. If FBS FB is necessary to preserve or renew long-standing rivalries, so be it. It would not be my preference unless the new alignment also translated into competitive improvements for LAX and Olympic sport programs.

NHwildEcat
May 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
I am just glad there is an article stating that UNH has been busy trying to make a future for this athletic department...best news I have heard in awhile.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
How's that May 1st deadline working out for Mr. Robbins and Mason/VCU to the A-10? I love how he conveniently left out how he completely missed the mark on that.

At the end of the day, of course, money probably will be the deciding factor.

There's some hard, fact-based reporting right there... xrolleyesx

Schools such as Delaware, New Hampshire and Richmond along with other CAA members, could look for additional partners to form the new league.

News flash: Richmond is in the A-10. UNH is in America East.

What's next? "New York Post: LFN Winning The Lottery is Possible"? xlolx xlolx xlolx

This article is pure speculation. No more, no less. It doesn't even make any sense.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Whatever happens, I just hope UD ends up in an all sport conference with schools who have similar institutional and athletic profiles and goals. I'd prefer it be at the FCS level for FB, especially for the time being. If FBS FB is necessary to preserve or renew long-standing rivalries, so be it. It would not be my preference unless the new alignment also translated into competitive improvements for LAX and Olympic sport programs.

If ya can't beat em, join em?

NHwildEcat
May 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM
How's that May 1st deadline working out for Mr. Robbins and Mason/VCU to the A-10? I love how he conveniently left out how he completely missed the mark on that.

There's some hard, fact-based reporting right there... xrolleyesx

News flash: Richmond is in the A-10. UNH is in America East.

What's next? "New York Post: LFN Winning The Lottery is Possible"? xlolx xlolx xlolx

This article is pure speculation. No more, no less. It doesn't even make any sense.

Thus he mentions such a fact...

Most of those programs are in the Colonial Athletic Association but there are others in the America East Conference that could be in play.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Like Richmond? xlolx xlolx xlolx

henfan
May 3rd, 2012, 09:37 AM
If ya can't beat em, join em?

More like kicking and screaming to the FBS and post-season bowl irrelevance. Yuck.

whitey
May 3rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Mentioning Richmond and FBS football in that article is laughable.

henfan
May 3rd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Mentioning Richmond and FBS football in that article is laughable.

Then again, so are many of the nonsensical re-alignments that are happening across the country. Sadly, the student-athletes welfare and fans' bests interests are being disregarded by the schools opting to join far-flung leagues. Nothing would shock me at this point.

whitey
May 3rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Then again, so are many of the nonsensical re-alignments that are happening across the country. Sadly, the student-athletes welfare and fans' bests interests are being disregarded by the schools opting to join far-flung leagues. Nothing would shock me at this point.

Agreed. But where would Richmond host games? They just built a brand new stadium that would most likely have to be completely torn down to get capacity up to FBS levels. I'm not saying it can't happen but it's exponentially more likely Richmond stays FCS for a long long time.

NHwildEcat
May 3rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
FBS levels are a joke...NCAA does not put minimums on attendance for basketball or other sports nor should they in football.

whitey
May 3rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
FBS levels are a joke...NCAA does not put minimums on attendance for basketball or other sports nor should they in football.

I wasn't referring to minimum attendance requirements. I was referring to the fact that their new stadium seats about 9,000 which is not sufficient for FBS football. They would never ever ever get an OOC home game except for the one FCS team they play a year.

NHwildEcat
May 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
I wasn't referring to minimum attendance requirements. I was referring to the fact that their new stadium seats about 9,000 which is not sufficient for FBS football. They would never ever ever get an OOC home game except for the one FCS team they play a year.

I see what you're saying.

I also think a lot of this conference stuff is pointless...in 10 years the FBS/FCS will be all one level again as there will be a 16 team playoff in the current FBS system. Once they see how profitable it is for them, they will fully embrace it. And scheduling will remain roughly the same so I think the size of some stadiums may not matter. Heck, UNH is mentioned in this article and I can assure you we will not be involved with any FBS conference unless we suddenly pop out a new stadium from our ***.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM

Well the new BCS format will hopefully take care of some of that at the top level. Boise and San Diego should be given the smack down for trying to play in the Big East. It's absurd.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 10:45 AM

Guarantee not a single school is ever going to be forced down or prevented from moving up (if they have an invitation) due to attendance. It's a fake rule.

If you have the money, you can play. End of story.

henfan
May 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
If you have the money, you can play. End of story.

Richmond FB expenses already are on par with lower level FBS programs. For them, cost would be a matter of balancing Title IX.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Richmond FB expenses already are on par with lower level FBS programs. For them, cost would be a matter of balancing Title IX.

"If you loved PPL park as a potential FBS site, you'll love Richmond's 9,000 seat on-campus stadium!"

henfan
May 3rd, 2012, 01:07 PM

Well, they'd get conference home games and whatever end of home-homes they set up with other lower level FBS programs. Same as schools in other lower levels FBS conferences.

whitey
May 3rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
Well, they'd get conference home games and whatever end of home-homes they set up with other lower level FBS programs. Same as schools in other lower levels FBS conferences.

I'm sorry. I just find it hard to believe a 9,000 seat stadium at the FBS level is sustainable long term. We'll have to agree to disagree.

danefan
May 3rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry. I just find it hard to believe a 9,000 seat stadium at the FBS level is sustainable long term. We'll have to agree to disagree.

In the old notion of FBS you're right.

But I have no clue what FBS means now anyway or whether it will even exist in 5 years.

NHwildEcat
May 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
In the old notion of FBS you're right.

But I have no clue what FBS means now anyway or whether it will even exist in 5 years.

I am willing to bet there will be no FBS by the end of this decade...the way things are going the landscape will be totally different.

Bogus Megapardus
May 3rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'm sorry, but I read that article twice and I still can't follow it. Who (other than Butler basketball) does the Post say will end up where and in what sport? It seems to mix basketball, football and other sports indiscriminately and nonsensically.

danefan
May 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
I'm sorry, but I read that article twice and I still can't follow it. Who (other than Butler basketball) does the Post say will end up where and in what sport? It seems to mix basketball, football and other sports indiscriminately and nonsensically.

True. It basically says the CAA is imploding and its remaining members are thinking about forming a new conference with some of the AEast schools.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
True. It basically says the CAA is imploding and its remaining members are thinking about forming a new conference with some of the AEast schools.

And Richmond is a CAA school. Don't forget that. xlolx

henfan
May 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM

I didn't suggest that it was sustainable, just that it wouldn't prevent UR from reclassifying. Most of what is going on with D-I re-alignment won't be sustainable over the long term, IMO. The lack of fiscal responsibility and acting counter to the best interests of the student-athletes and fans doesn't seem to concern many of these schools in the least. It's really sad to watch.

whitey
May 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
I didn't suggest that it was sustainable, just that it wouldn't prevent UR from reclassifying. Most of what is going on with D-I re-alignment won't be sustainable over the long term, IMO. The lack of fiscal responsibility and acting counter to the best interests of the student-athletes and fans doesn't seem to concern many of these schools in the least. It's really sad to watch.

Very true. Unfortunately it's going to take a huge change in how consumers use television for anything to change. Television contracts and revenue are unfortunately driving the bus and until that drastically changes this is likely what we'll be stuck with.

Dane96
May 3rd, 2012, 06:21 PM
That article is assinine.

Let's deal with the obvious:

THERE IS NOT ONE TEAM IN THE AMERICA EAST THAT IS CAPABLE OF MOVING UP TO FBS. UNH can't build a stadium for FCS, let alone FBS. Ditto to Albany and Maine.

Stony Brook...very outside chance because of their sugar daddy.

Now, with the less obvious. Delaware's stadium is a piece of **** for FBS plain and simple. They would have to definitely do a lot of work to move up to FBS standards. Been in that place at least 10 times...and I love it...but it is no FBS stadium. I know they have "talked" upgrades...but until it starts, that's a lower "TOP TIER" FCS stadium.

And where the **** is Richmond building this stadium for FBS?!?!?! They are allowed a max of 12-14,000 in the spot they have. They built it for 8 with a 1k recent expansion.

The article is written by someone trying to get in the game but has NO IDEA WTF he is talking about.

What he probably MEANT to say is that the AE and CAA schools are looking at a new FCS football league, and a I-A Basketball league (remember, schools without football are technically I-AAA schools in the old lexicon).

The only schools remotely capable of moving up to FBS are JMU and Delaware (from the CAA). Towson and SBU would have to do a ton of work. Albany...if they got a sugar daddy...could do the move. Never, ever...ever will UNH, Maine, or Richmond be FBS level (even low). As for 'Nova...until they **** or get off the pot, they are out of my conversation.

In the end, this guy just mixed his signals.

DFW HOYA
May 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Have any of these articles even mentioned the words "Patriot League", whether incoming or outgoing?

R3TRO
May 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
Dane, tell me how you really feel...

Dane96
May 3rd, 2012, 07:02 PM
I feel like Passport Control in Dusseldorf sucked...broken machine. I feel like London is a ****show to get on a plane...and had my bagged searched (AFTER I ALREADY HAD FLOWN)...and I think I fart more well thought out stories than Lenn had in this particular instance.

:)

Bogus Megapardus
May 3rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Have any of these articles even mentioned the words "Patriot League", whether incoming or outgoing?

Of course not. We merely are the humble, contrite stewards of the tradition. Not worthy of renown or remark. In football, geared towards the average rather than the exceptional, to paraphrase a certain Non-Rabbit of yore.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM

Lower level teams get paid $800k-$1M to play at top 25 teams. Plus you can always just rely more on donors, student fees if they agree to it in a vote and increased ticket prices.

The main costs initially are just more scholarships and a bump in pay for the coaches.

Title IX is nothing to worry about. You can meet that by simply proving you're satisfying the desires of the female students to participate in intercollegiate athletics.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
That article is assinine.

Let's deal with the obvious:

THERE IS NOT ONE TEAM IN THE AMERICA EAST THAT IS CAPABLE OF MOVING UP TO FBS. UNH can't build a stadium for FCS, let alone FBS. Ditto to Albany and Maine.

Stony Brook...very outside chance because of their sugar daddy.

Now, with the less obvious. Delaware's stadium is a piece of **** for FBS plain and simple. They would have to definitely do a lot of work to move up to FBS standards. Been in that place at least 10 times...and I love it...but it is no FBS stadium. I know they have "talked" upgrades...but until it starts, that's a lower "TOP TIER" FCS stadium.

And where the **** is Richmond building this stadium for FBS?!?!?! They are allowed a max of 12-14,000 in the spot they have. They built it for 8 with a 1k recent expansion.

The article is written by someone trying to get in the game but has NO IDEA WTF he is talking about.

What he probably MEANT to say is that the AE and CAA schools are looking at a new FCS football league, and a I-A Basketball league (remember, schools without football are technically I-AAA schools in the old lexicon).

The only schools remotely capable of moving up to FBS are JMU and Delaware (from the CAA). Towson and SBU would have to do a ton of work. Albany...if they got a sugar daddy...could do the move. Never, ever...ever will UNH, Maine, or Richmond be FBS level (even low). As for 'Nova...until they **** or get off the pot, they are out of my conversation.

In the end, this guy just mixed his signals.

You sound like another one of these people who think that FBS has to mean something mythical, beyond simply providing a maximum of 85 scholarship equivalencies in aid a year to a maximum of 85 players, scheduling a minimum number of games against other FBS teams and probably a few other insignificant criteria, not related in any sense to the stadium.

Seawolf97
May 3rd, 2012, 08:23 PM

You are right. The only fact is that Butler will move to the A-10 in 2013. Everything else seems like pure speculation at this point. Makes for good discussion though.

Go...gate
May 4th, 2012, 01:37 AM

Nary a one.

Seawolf97
May 4th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Nary a one.

StonyBrook, Liberty and Coastal Carolina have all openly expressed a desire to move on from the Big South. That means as far as football the Big South would not exist anylonger. I would not be surprised if VMI were to approach the PL for member ship. Great school, good mix of olympic sports and strong academics. Down side would be travel and VMI isnt all the big in student body. Up side it gives the PL another military oriented program filled with tradition and just as legendary as Army or Navy. It would be a steal for the PL.

Go...gate
May 5th, 2012, 01:17 AM
StonyBrook, Liberty and Coastal Carolina have all openly expressed a desire to move on from the Big South. That means as far as football the Big South would not exist anylonger. I would not be surprised if VMI were to approach the PL for member ship. Great school, good mix of olympic sports and strong academics. Down side would be travel and VMI isnt all the big in student body. Up side it gives the PL another military oriented program filled with tradition and just as legendary as Army or Navy. It would be a steal for the PL.

I believe VMI would be a good fit as an all-sports member.

GA St. MBB Fan
May 5th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Yeah, that article was quite confusing, and didn't really say anything.

But where did it actually say that in anywhere except the headline?