A10: New Hampshire (2)
Big Sky: Montana (4)
Gateway: Northern Iowa (3)
MEAC: Hampton (16)
OVC: Eastern Illinois (15)
Patriot: Lafayette (NR)
Southern: Appalachian St (1)
Southland: McNeese St (11)

Not too many surprises here, if any. I think the Patriot could go another way easily and you never know with my home conference, the Southland Conference.

Would not surprise me if UNI goes to the playoffs, but does not recieve the auto-bid. Illinois St and Youngstown St could potentially take the Gateway.

I'm interested to learn about Hampton in that season opener against Grambling, though even if Hampton loses, they may not face any teams in the MEAC as tough as Grambling outside of maybe South Carolina St (which is in Orangeburg this year).

Eaglegus2
June 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I look for Furman to be the auto bid from the SoCon.

PantherRob82
June 17th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I'd go with:

A10: Delaware
Big Sky: Montana
Gateway: Northern Iowa
MEAC: Hampton
OVC: Eastern Kentucky
Patriot: Lehigh
Southern: Furman
Southland: McNeese St

:twocents:

UNHWildCats
June 17th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Lets let them play a conference game before we hand out the auto bids ;)

golionsgo
June 18th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Early Predictions - 2006 Auto Bids
AGS Preseason Ranks in ()

Not too many surprises here, if any. I think the Patriot could go another way easily and you never know with my home conference, the Southland Conference.

Would not surprise me if UNI goes to the playoffs, but does not recieve the auto-bid. Illinois St and Youngstown St could potentially take the Gateway.

I'm interested to learn about Hampton in that season opener against Grambling, though even if Hampton loses, they may not face any teams in the MEAC as tough as Grambling outside of maybe South Carolina St (which is in Orangeburg this year).

I know they're the "in" pick but I just don't see McNeese winning the Southland Conference. They're way to predictable on both sides of the ball and I think they'll lose at least three conference games, one of which will be to us for a third year in a row. I kinda like Nicholls to repeat, even with a new QB.

umassfan
June 18th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I'd go with:

A10: Delaware
Patriot: Lehigh
Southern: Furman

:twocents:
Delaware? What you been smoking man... they have no defense and their offense is Omar Cuff Omar Cuff and Omar Cuff.

Tod
June 18th, 2006, 04:19 AM

That would go right along with my pre-season poll. There are a lot of possible upsets, I think, including, Idaho State, Illinois State, Youngstown State, South Carolina State, Eastern Kentucky, Colgate, Lehigh, Furman, Nichols State, Northeast Louisiana, Northwestern State, etc. (note: the etc. means, I don't frickin' know!!)

:) :) :) :) :)

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2006, 06:51 AM

I was tempted to do that as well, but Furman was playing at Appalachian St. That led me to go with the Mountaineers...

kats89
June 18th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I know they're the "in" pick but I just don't see McNeese winning the Southland Conference. They're way to predictable on both sides of the ball and I think they'll lose at least three conference games, one of which will be to us for a third year in a row. I kinda like Nicholls to repeat, even with a new QB.

Nicholls St will miss Yale Vannoy. If our head coach will keep his head out of his rear, I could see us in the hunt for a playoff spot, but the OOC schedule might keep us away. We would probably have to run the table in conference to get a sniff of playoffs and I don't think I have seen a team go undefeated in SLC play for some time.

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Nicholls St will miss Yale Vannoy. If our head coach will keep his head out of his rear, I could see us in the hunt for a playoff spot, but the OOC schedule might keep us away. We would probably have to run the table in conference to get a sniff of playoffs and I don't think I have seen a team go undefeated in SLC play for some time.

McNeese went undefeated (5-0 in 2003, 6-0 in 2002) and Troy St (7-0 in 2000). Outside of that, happened in 1982 (LaTech), 1987 (ULM), 1988 (NWST), 1993 (McN) and 1995 (McN) in the I-AA era.

I agree though. Running the table is tough. In the last few years, we've seen the emergence of a more-balanced league. People say we stink, but the SLC has it's share of OOC wins from even teams that finish in our cellar.

In fact, since 1995, only three teams have gone winless in the SLC. Seems most year, the lowest team in the conference standings got their one win against one of the upper echelon teams each year. Gotta love that. Makes every game exciting with no clue who's going to take it, even percieved blowouts.

PantherRob82
June 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Delaware? What you been smoking man... they have no defense and their offense is Omar Cuff Omar Cuff and Omar Cuff.

There's gotta be some suprises somewhere. I think UD has some potential this year. Who thought Tx State would make the semis last year?

FlyYtown
June 18th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Although the penguins still have a tough conference away schedule, SIU and UNI have to come to our house where we were 6-0 last year, I say YSU "stuns" those non believers out there and wins the GATEWAY with a 10-1/9-2 Record.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I like Montana State and Nicholls. The rest of the conferences I have no clue.

McNeese75
June 18th, 2006, 12:56 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

There will be no Third year my man.

kats89
June 18th, 2006, 01:42 PM
McNeese went undefeated (5-0 in 2003, 6-0 in 2002) and Troy St (7-0 in 2000). Outside of that, happened in 1982 (LaTech), 1987 (ULM), 1988 (NWST), 1993 (McN) and 1995 (McN) in the I-AA era.

I agree though. Running the table is tough. In the last few years, we've seen the emergence of a more-balanced league. People say we stink, but the SLC has it's share of OOC wins from even teams that finish in our cellar.

In fact, since 1995, only three teams have gone winless in the SLC. Seems most year, the lowest team in the conference standings got their one win against one of the upper echelon teams each year. Gotta love that. Makes every game exciting with no clue who's going to take it, even percieved blowouts.

Those who say the SLC is weak need to ask some of the other teams in different conferences what they think, especially if they travel to a SLC stadium. Two semifinalists, two years in a row out of the SLC. I think it could be a third year in a row in 2006. :hurray:

Ronbo
June 18th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I like Montana State and Nicholls. The rest of the conferences I have no clue.

You don't have a clue period.:smiley_wi

walliver
June 18th, 2006, 10:25 PM

The coaches and media will almost assuredly pick App State to win, thereby guaranteeing they won't. I would lean toward Furman, but, going out on a limb, Western Carolina gets the auto bid; but, Furman plays in Chatty in December.

McNeese75
June 18th, 2006, 10:44 PM

I think you nailed it Ronbo :rotateh:

rcny46
June 18th, 2006, 11:58 PM

I don't usually have too much to say about what is going to transpire in other conferences because I simply don't think I'm qualified,but one thing I'm confident in saying is that Montana should win the BSC going away,and if someone put a gun to my head and demanded to hear my pick for a NC,it would be the Grizzlies.I think they have the horses to be that good.

blur2005
June 19th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Amazing how he always manages to show up when the opportunity presents itself to either praise UMass or bust on Delaware.

My autobids:
A-10 - New Hampshire
Big Sky - Montana
Gateway - Northern Iowa (though watch out for Illinois State)
MEAC - Hampton
OVC - Eastern Illinois
Patriot - Colgate
Southern - Furman
Southland - I'm going to go with McNeese State, but this is really a crapshoot

crunifan
June 19th, 2006, 12:20 AM
A-10 - New Hampshire
Big Sky - Montana
Gateway - UNI/Illinois State
MEAC - Hampton
OVC - Eastern Illinois
Patriot - Colgate
Southern - Appalachian State/Furman
Southland - McNeese State

golionsgo
June 19th, 2006, 12:25 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

There will be no Third year my man.

I think we'll get you again.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 19th, 2006, 01:01 AM
A-10 New Hampshire
Big Sky- Montana
Gateway- Youngstown State
MEAC- Hampton
OVC- EKU
Patriot-Colgate/Lehigh
Southern- Furman
Southland- McNeese St.

colgate13
June 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM
A-10: New Hampshire
OVC: Eastern Illinois
Patriot: Colgate
Southern: Appalachian State
Southland: Northwestern State

Pard4Life
June 19th, 2006, 09:04 AM
For now, I will say Colgate wins the Patriot.. that is until we finally beat them. Lehigh is a wild-card in all of this. Unfortunately LU is unpredictable.. not the norm over there..

GeauxColonels
June 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM
AMEN!!!! :hurray: :hurray:

GeauxColonels
June 19th, 2006, 09:44 AM
That would go right along with my pre-season poll. There are a lot of possible upsets, I think, including, Idaho State, Illinois State, Youngstown State, South Carolina State, Eastern Kentucky, Colgate, Lehigh, Furman, Nichols State, Northeast Louisiana, Northwestern State, etc. (note: the etc. means, I don't frickin' know!!)

:) :) :) :) :)
Northeast Louisiana? :confused: :confused:

OL FU
June 19th, 2006, 09:46 AM
MEAC: SC State ******
Patriot: Lafayette
Southern: Appalachian St

*******My prediction. Hampton is 10-1 with a loss to SC State. SC State finishes 9-2 with losses to Wofford and CCU but perfect in the MEAC.

Two teams from the MEAC make the playoffs:nod: :nod:
Also, A pretty good shot at two from the OVC:nod:
Pickings for the at-large could be interest this year:)

carney2
June 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM
The Patriot League is a crap shoot. All 3 of the contenders have their pluses and minuses and nothing will be sorted out until November.

Colgate should be the preseason favorite, but not by a heckuva lot. They will most likely have all of their weaknesses exposed in week 1 at UMass. After that they should be on autopilot until they hit the heart of their schedule in late October/early November with back-to-back games vs. Lafayette and Lehigh. This will be their moment of truth.

Lehigh has a very favorable schedule. They will get lots of early recognition for beating Villanova in week 2, but if the truth be told, Nova aint what it used to was. After that, their only serious challenge before meeting Colgate on 11/4 will be a home game vs. Harvard. I see Lehigh as somewhat untested until November, and carrying a fairly high national ranking into that month. Andy Coen will be the second coming on Squawk Mountain if he plugs enough holes to carry him past Colgate and Lafayette in November.

Lafayette lost 26 or 27 seniors via graduation and theoretically has many holes to fill. The feeling here is that they will just "reload," as Mr. 13 put it, and keep on keepin' on. Unfortunately, they need to get their act together early, with a league game at Bucknell in the second week and Penn coming to town for week 3. IF they get through the first 3 games unscathed, and IF QB Brad Maurer can stay in one piece, this could be a magical year on College Hill.

In summary, all three of these teams are capable of going undefeated, but realistically a great year would be 10-1, and a slide into the toilet would be defined at 7-4. Each posting a 6-1 league record, with the autobid being determined via a tie breaker, is not out of the question.

cosmo here
June 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Lafayette lost 26 or 27 seniors via graduation and theoretically has many holes to fill. The feeling here is that they will just "reload," as Mr. 13 put it, and keep on keepin' on. Unfortunately, they need to get their act together early, with a league game at Bucknell in the second week and Penn coming to town for week 3. IF they get through the first 3 games unscathed, and IF QB Brad Maurer can stay in one piece, this could be a magical year on College Hill.

In summary, all three of these teams are capable of going undefeated, but realistically a great year would be 10-1, and a slide into the toilet would be defined at 7-4. Each posting a 6-1 league record, with the autobid being determined via a tie breaker, is not out of the question.

5-1 league record :)

A lot has been made of the "injurability" of Maurer, however, remember this: the only two injuries in his career have been the hip pointer in the Richmond game in which he missed part of one series, and the separated shoulder against Lehigh. Granted he runs around a lot (almost 1,000 career rushing yards, and not an option offense) and absorbs some hits, but he's also extremely accurate (62.0 percent career), throws a good long ball when he has the time, and wins (11-3 when he plays the whole game). Lets also remember that Pat Davis was a pretty good quarterback over two seasons, beat Lehigh and helped us hang around against Appalachian State (he was 14-of-20 in the first half). When Maurer was "pulled" in a couple games, most of that speaks highly of Davis instead of badly of Brad.

colgate13
June 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Colgate should be the preseason favorite, but not by a heckuva lot. They will most likely have all of their weaknesses exposed in week 1 at UMass.

Or all of their strengths.... :)

(It's still June. I'm ignoring Colgate's opening game record under Biddle until late August. :thumbsup:)

Pard4Life
June 19th, 2006, 11:15 AM
The Patriot League is a crap shoot. All 3 of the contenders have their pluses and minuses and nothing will be sorted out until November.

Colgate should be the preseason favorite, but not by a heckuva lot. They will most likely have all of their weaknesses exposed in week 1 at UMass. After that they should be on autopilot until they hit the heart of their schedule in late October/early November with back-to-back games vs. Lafayette and Lehigh. This will be their moment of truth.

Lehigh has a very favorable schedule. They will get lots of early recognition for beating Villanova in week 2, but if the truth be told, Nova aint what it used to was. After that, their only serious challenge before meeting Colgate on 11/4 will be a home game vs. Harvard. I see Lehigh as somewhat untested until November, and carrying a fairly high national ranking into that month. Andy Coen will be the second coming on Squawk Mountain if he plugs enough holes to carry him past Colgate and Lafayette in November.

Good synopsis carney, although I second cosmo that Mauer has only been injured twice and I think that is more talk and speculation than truth. He is relatively durable. He survived hits in 2004.

I think we have the biggest 'payoff' schedule. If we win those early games, the rest of our season looks very favorable in terms of our mentality, preparedness, and poise in big games. If we lose more than we win, we could be in trouble down the stretch. If we can win those early games, I think we can take down Colgate and Lehigh.

Outside of UMass, Colgate does not have a rough schedule until later in the season. The biggest 'weakness' you are alluding to in my mind is Saraceno.. will he improve upon those 19INTs? Then again, if he doesn't 13 has noted 'gate is getting deep at QB.

And I will still maintain Lehigh is a wild-card.. with that average schedule... they could excel or tank.. and I am betting excel.. their roster is still very talented. Albany might prove tougher than we all believe, and Villanova will be an easier game than expected. Harvard will be their biggest early season challenge. And I don't have a clue about Yale..

I think the question in our League is who is going to get that second bid.

ngineer

I must say that is a pretty good analysis, though I wouldn't scoff at our games with Princeton or Yale, and that one being away. 'Nova doesn't have the rep it had two years ago when we played at Goodman, but a road game with any tough A-10 team is no gimme. I agree any of the three could go undefeated, as well as going 7-4, which for all our standards of late, would be a 'bad' season.

carney2
5-1 league record :)

A lot has been made of the "injurability" of Maurer, however, remember this: the only two injuries in his career have been the hip pointer in the Richmond game in which he missed part of one series, and the separated shoulder against Lehigh. Granted he runs around a lot (almost 1,000 career rushing yards, and not an option offense) and absorbs some hits, but he's also extremely accurate (62.0 percent career), throws a good long ball when he has the time, and wins (11-3 when he plays the whole game). Lets also remember that Pat Davis was a pretty good quarterback over two seasons, beat Lehigh and helped us hang around against Appalachian State (he was 14-of-20 in the first half). When Maurer was "pulled" in a couple games, most of that speaks highly of Davis instead of badly of Brad.

As for the arithmetic error,...well...er...(I'm struggling for an excuse). Let me solve a quadratic equation or two and get back to you on that.

I am less concerned with Maurer's "injurability" as you call it than with the total lack of experience backing him up. I have faith that one of the two freshman recruits will be the next in what I am hoping becomes a Lehigh-like succession of excellent QBs, but I don't have a lot of faith that a freshman will step in and make it happen in his first year. As for the junior who has shown great skill with the clip board over the past two years, let's just say that I am not a fan.

As for Pat Davis, you won't get any arguments from me that he was a key member of last year's team. Tavani says that he would have started for most teams in the PL. Personally, I think that of all the seniors that graduated, he may be the one most missed.

McNeese75
June 19th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I think we'll get you again.

Good, when the times gets closer, be sure and IM me so we can drink a beer and eat to discuss this upcoming miracle at the tailgate :D

I think our preparation, talent and home field should give us the edge this year.

If you do "get" get us again, I would hate to be on the McNeese coaching staff.

Now, if it is a hard fought close game and you end up the winner, fine, no major problem with that but the blowouts of the last three seasons have gotta stop ;)

GeauxColonels
June 19th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Good, when the times gets closer, be sure and IM me so we can drink a beer and eat to discuss this upcoming miracle at the tailgate :D

I think our preparation, talent and home field should give us the edge this year.

If you do "get" get us again, I would hate to be on the McNeese coaching staff.

Now, if it is a hard fought close game and you end up the winner, fine, no major problem with that but the blowouts of the last three seasons have gotta stop ;)
Really, I actually liked seeing those scores on the ESPN2 ticker. I'm sure there are a few other SLC fans on here that probably felt the same way. :hurray:

colgate13
June 19th, 2006, 12:39 PM
The biggest 'weakness' you are alluding to in my mind is Saraceno.. will he improve upon those 19INTs? Then again, if he doesn't 13 has noted 'gate is getting deep at QB.

And here's where we differ! Since when is returning the 1st team PL QB a weakness? xlolx Yes, he threw a lot of INTs... and we still won! He won't be a weakness again IMO. He's going to be one hell of a leader this year. :twocents:

What keeps me up at night is the defensive line and linebackers.... :confused: Particularly the line. We've got talent at LB that just needs to step up, the line? We'll see. :rotateh:

cosmo here
June 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
And here's where we differ! Since when is returning the 1st team PL QB a weakness? xlolx Yes, he threw a lot of INTs... and we still won! He won't be a weakness again IMO. He's going to be one hell of a leader this year. :twocents:

Fortunately for Colgate, he threw almost half of them (9 of 19) in two games, five vs. CCSU and four vs. UNH. Only 10 in the other nine games. However, you have to wonder how a QB with a 106.7 rating is on the first team while one with a 125.5 rating is on the second team.

Within the league:

1. Maurer, La - 141.6
2. Threatt, Le - 126.3
3. O'Neill, HC - 123.9
4. Cangelosi, G - 119.3
5. Saraceno, C - 111.0
6. Ross, B - 108.9
7. Davis, La - 106.7
8. Daniels, F - 86.2

Tod
June 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Northeast Louisiana? :confused: :confused:

Yes, I've renamed them. :D :o :o

McNeese72
June 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Yes, I've renamed them. :D :o :o

Still :confused: :confused:

Doc

P.S. You do know that they are a Div I-a (note little a) football team and not in Div I-AA.

Tailbone
June 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Still :confused: :confused:

Doc

P.S. You do know that they are a Div I-a (note little a) football team and not in Div I-AA.

If Tod can rename schools and make interdivisional moves for football teams, how can there be any doubt that the griz win the NC this year?

Tod's got JUICE! :thumbsup:

colgate13
June 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
However, you have to wonder how a QB with a 106.7 rating is on the first team while one with a 125.5 rating is on the second team.

Within the league:

1. Maurer, La - 141.6
2. Threatt, Le - 126.3
3. O'Neill, HC - 123.9
4. Cangelosi, G - 119.3
5. Saraceno, C - 111.0
6. Ross, B - 108.9
7. Davis, La - 106.7
8. Daniels, F - 86.2

Intangibles baby, intangibles! Seriously though, I think he was responsible for winning more games for Colgate than Maurer was responsible for LC. Looking beyond the ratings:

- Saraceno rushes for 5 TDs (including a game winner against Bucknell). Maurer rushes for 0 TDs.
- Saraceno passes for 12 TDs and 2065 yards. Maurer passes for 9 TDs and 1562 yards.

I believe Maurer is also hurt by the presence of Pat Davis who put up significant numbers himself when he took snaps. It kind of takes away from Maurer's perceived impact when another QB goes in there and produces as well. Makes one think it's not about the QB!

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I must say that is a pretty good analysis, though I wouldn't scoff at our games with Princeton or Yale, and that one being away. 'Nova doesn't have the rep it had two years ago when we played at Goodman, but a road game with any tough A-10 team is no gimme. I agree any of the three could go undefeated, as well as going 7-4, which for all our standards of late, would be a 'bad' season.

There is two advantages that i believe Lehigh has over Lafayette and Colgate, schedule and experience in the trenches. Lehigh should be very good along the lines. The OL returns basically 4/5 starters because of injuries last year. The DL should be very good as well anchored by potential first teamm AA Royce Morgan. The only real question mark, and coaching isn't it, is at wr. But with a very good OL and experience in the backfield the new faces should have time to mature by the time the league starts. They do return Lee Thomas and are solid at TE. The secondary returns a lot of depth and should be a year wiser from last years meltdowns against HC and LC. They do return the most starters in the league from a season that was IMO no worse then Colgate and and Lafayette's, they were just the odd man out in the playoffs. Their schedule sets up great and is deffinately an asset i believe. Colgate has a real tough game at Umass and Lafayette has early games with teams they have traditionally struggled with going a way's back. Lehigh needs to beat 'Nova to set the tone for the season. 'Nova DOES return 17 starters from a team that fell apart after Marvin Burroughs went down against Rutgers. Still Lehigh needs to win that game or this season will have the "here we go again 8-3 feeling again." Yale has traditionally been a tough opponent but Lehigh has been successful against them. Same with Harvard and Princeton.

McNeeserocket
June 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM

McNeese may be way too predictable, but then we were predictable in 2001, 2002, and 2003 when we only lost 1 conference game in three years (also lost only five regular season games of which three were I-A BCS teams). Predicatability can hurt a team, but if a team is really good on both sides of the ball then it is hard to stop them even when you know what is coming (that was the case in 2001, 2002, and 2003). Teams knew what was coming, but they couldn't stop it from happening.

I am not saying that McNeese is as good as those years yet, but all indications are that we have the talent to be that good. Time will tell.

Look at Georgia Southern. Everybody knew that each offensive play was going to be some type of option play, but they couldn't stop them during 6 national championship seasons. When you have talent and strength across the board, you could tell the opposing team each play what is coming and they still can't stop it. Georgia Southern and Montana have that strength year in and year out with just a few exceptions.

cosmo here
June 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Intangibles baby, intangibles! Seriously though, I think he was responsible for winning more games for Colgate than Maurer was responsible for LC. Looking beyond the ratings:

- Saraceno rushes for 5 TDs (including a game winner against Bucknell). Maurer rushes for 0 TDs.
- Saraceno passes for 12 TDs and 2065 yards. Maurer passes for 9 TDs and 1562 yards.

I believe Maurer is also hurt by the presence of Pat Davis who put up significant numbers himself when he took snaps. It kind of takes away from Maurer's perceived impact when another QB goes in there and produces as well. Makes one think it's not about the QB!

The games that Maurer didn't go the distance were two non-league games (Princeton, Harvard) and Bucknell, then obviously Lehigh and Appalachian State with the shoulder injury.

Against the Bison, he was lights out in the first quarter but then threw a pick at the goal line and took a delay of game early in the second, and was pulled. Davis was good, then not so good (two second half picks) and Maurer leads the game-winning touchdown drive.

His overall numbers would have looked much better if he had played more, but since Davis was more than capable (and had experience from playing the second half of the first five games of 2004), they went with Pat in some cases. But in 4 1/2 of his 5 PL games, Maurer was outstanding. Certainly the rushing numbers weren't there last year (although he was second on the team with 271 yards, after 643 yards and 9 TDs as a soph), but he threw the ball much better (5 int. in 223 attempts) than 2004 when he completed 67 percent of his passes.

Oh by the way, Saraceno didn't quarterback the win over UMass, much like Davis quarterbacked Lafayette over Lehigh . . maybe it's not about the QB !! :)

GaSouthern
June 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Ditto Furple gets the bid for 2006

McNeese75
June 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Really, I actually liked seeing those scores on the ESPN2 ticker. I'm sure there are a few other SLC fans on here that probably felt the same way. :hurray:

Hey now, you are starting to support Ronbo's contention about other conference teams now :D

GeauxColonels
June 19th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hey now, you are starting to support Ronbo's contention about other conference teams now :D
I never argued either way. There's no question that McNeese has been the SLC's "top dog" over the past 15 or so years. Look at the records and # of titles, you can't dispute the facts. However, I think the SLC is much more balanced than a lot of the other leagues.

Either way though, you would be lying if you didn't think that practically everyone else in the SLC pulls for McNeese to slip up in conference play. When you continuously win, other teams get tired of it and that's where the healthy rivalry hatred brews.

McNeese75
June 19th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I never argued either way. There's no question that McNeese has been the SLC's "top dog" over the past 15 or so years. Look at the records and # of titles, you can't dispute the facts. However, I think the SLC is much more balanced than a lot of the other leagues.

Either way though, you would be lying if you didn't think that practically everyone else in the SLC pulls for McNeese to slip up in conference play. When you continuously win, other teams get tired of it and that's where the healthy rivalry hatred brews.

:D We have had the bulleye on our back for a while now. I agree, everyone wants the Pokes to fall and I am sure there is never a tear shed when we do. I do hope yall pull for us in OOC games :) . I always pull for the conference and have gotten into some pretty testy debates on other conference team message boards when taking up for the SLC. I took on NAU supporters by myself on the SFA website in 1994. Fortunately the Jacks made me a look good and won the game.

I was also very excited when the Colonels spanked EWU a couple years ago in a good ole S. La gully washer.

89Hen
June 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Big talk from a fan whose team is breathing a collective sigh of relief of not having to face them for the first time in a long time.:rolleyes:

R.A.
June 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM
MEAC: SC State ******
Patriot: Lafayette
Southern: Appalachian St

*******My prediction. Hampton is 10-1 with a loss to SC State. SC State finishes 9-2 with losses to Wofford and CCU but perfect in the MEAC.

Two teams from the MEAC make the playoffs:nod: :nod:
Also, A pretty good shot at two from the OVC:nod:
Pickings for the at-large could be interest this year:)

-I don't think SCSU is going to lose to both Coastal and Wofford... and I've been on the fence for the longest w/ the Hampton/ SCSU game this season. SCSU should win, but Hampton is their hump team, and getting over humps can be tricky. I agree that we will have two teams in the playoffs though.
-I also agree... it would be far more fun chatting it up about the at- large predictions.

Freightliner
June 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM

I was more of this route

:eek: :eek: :eek:

and thats IN LAKE CHARLES?!?!? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

GeauxColonels
June 20th, 2006, 01:48 PM
:D We have had the bulleye on our back for a while now. I agree, everyone wants the Pokes to fall and I am sure there is never a tear shed when we do. I do hope yall pull for us in OOC games :) . I always pull for the conference and have gotten into some pretty testy debates on other conference team message boards when taking up for the SLC. I took on NAU supporters by myself on the SFA website in 1994. Fortunately the Jacks made me a look good and won the game.

I was also very excited when the Colonels spanked EWU a couple years ago in a good ole S. La gully washer.
Of course you have to pull for fellow SLCers in OOC matchups. If they win, it makes your conference look stronger.

TexasTerror
June 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Of course you have to pull for fellow SLCers in OOC matchups. If they win, it makes your conference look stronger.

SLC has some nice OOC matchups against the GWFC and Gateway that should help us out considering those are two good conferences. Wish we had some more SoCon battles and A10 skirmishes, but that's not going to happen. Big Sky has been friendly to SLC schools...

TheValleyRaider
June 20th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Fortunately for Colgate, he threw almost half of them (9 of 19) in two games, five vs. CCSU and four vs. UNH. Only 10 in the other nine games. However, you have to wonder how a QB with a 106.7 rating is on the first team while one with a 125.5 rating is on the second team.

Within the league:

1. Maurer, La - 141.6
2. Threatt, Le - 126.3
3. O'Neill, HC - 123.9
4. Cangelosi, G - 119.3
5. Saraceno, C - 111.0
6. Ross, B - 108.9
7. Davis, La - 106.7
8. Daniels, F - 86.2

I'm pretty sure we had this conversation a few weeks ago, but head-to-head it was Saraceno 1 - Maurer 0 :D :rotateh:

A-10: Delaware
MEAC: South Carolina St.
PL: Colgate
SoCon: Furman
Southland: McNeese St.

golionsgo
June 21st, 2006, 02:30 AM
McNeese may be way too predictable, but then we were predictable in 2001, 2002, and 2003 when we only lost 1 conference game in three years (also lost only five regular season games of which three were I-A BCS teams). Predicatability can hurt a team, but if a team is really good on both sides of the ball then it is hard to stop them even when you know what is coming (that was the case in 2001, 2002, and 2003). Teams knew what was coming, but they couldn't stop it from happening.

I am not saying that McNeese is as good as those years yet, but all indications are that we have the talent to be that good. Time will tell.

Look at Georgia Southern. Everybody knew that each offensive play was going to be some type of option play, but they couldn't stop them during 6 national championship seasons. When you have talent and strength across the board, you could tell the opposing team each play what is coming and they still can't stop it. Georgia Southern and Montana have that strength year in and year out with just a few exceptions.

You're talking about teams that were considerably more talented than their opponents; but with all due respect, the Cowboys don't have that type of talent advantage anymore and I don't see where you're going to make it up anytime soon barring a major influx of quality transfers.

slycat
June 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM
A10 - New Hampshire
Big Sky - Montana
Gateway - UNI
MEAC - Hampton
OVC - Eastern Illinois
Patriot - Lehigh
Southern - Furman
Southland - SELA

McNeese75
June 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM
You're talking about teams that were considerably more talented than their opponents; but with all due respect, the Cowboys don't have that type of talent advantage anymore and I don't see where you're going to make it up anytime soon barring a major influx of quality transfers.

Of course not, The king is dead, bury us and forget us. The lions are the new king of the jungle and have the superior talent and plenty of transfers. They have just been going through the motions with mediocre season the last three year to lay the ambush for the rest of the SLC. xcoffeex

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM
Southland - SELA

And that probably would not surprise anyone...

GaSouthern
June 21st, 2006, 07:07 PM
SLC has some nice OOC matchups against the GWFC and Gateway that should help us out considering those are two good conferences. Wish we had some more SoCon battles and A10 skirmishes, but that's not going to happen. Big Sky has been friendly to SLC schools...

I dont see why not? GSU would love to play your school I am sure, the problem is doing a home and home, but HEY were going back to SDSU to play the wabbits so anything could happen :thumbsup: