PDA

View Full Version : Texas State to the WAC.. No, Wait! We meant the Sun Belt!

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
@bobcatreport
I'm live at the announcement and it's official now. I was handed a release walking in saying #txst has officially joined the sunbelt.

xlolx

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2012, 10:38 AM
wow...all of the Bobcats that were dogging the Sun Belt last year are now singing its praises.

FormerPokeCenter
May 2nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
Texas State, USL and Georgia State in the same conference! Clinical Psychologists all over the world are racing to see who can file the first grant request to study the effects of colliding mass delusional fanbases! ;)

It won't be long now until the DSM-VI is released! ;)

dgtw
May 2nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/D4/20120502/BLUERAIDERS01/120502003/

I did not know Dennis Franchione was their coach. As a Bama fan, I'm looking forward to their games with Georgia State and Bill Curry.

MplsBison
May 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
wow...all of the Bobcats that were dogging the Sun Belt last year are now singing its praises.

Wow that one must really light your fire!

The flagship of your university system, besting your alma mater by moving up to FBS while you're stuck in the Southland with the 37 other Louisiana schools.

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM

The flagship of your university system, besting your alma mater by moving up to FBS while you're stuck in the Southland with the 37 other Louisiana schools.

Do a little bit of research before you run your mouth.

SFA - not part of the Texas State system. Sam Houston, Lamar University, and Sul Ross State (DII) Are.

SFA - Independent.

In case you haven't caught on..or don't read..or are as much of a ****ing idiot as you appear to be, not every alumni of every FCS school has aspirations of being FBS. Texas has an overabundance of FBS schools as it is, so UTSA and Texas State jumping up have put a hold on SFA, Sam and Lamar...

Not to mention - SFA doesn't have the athletic budget currently to move up. SFA doesn't have the facilities.

Technically, unless you can magically remove the roof of the FargoDome or get money to build a new stadium..neither does NDSU (right now)

McNeese75
May 2nd, 2012, 01:56 PM

xlolx Flagship???? Someone else on here is delusional. Maybe moving to the FBS, moving up??? not so much.

TheRevSFA
May 2nd, 2012, 01:59 PM
xlolx Flagship???? Someone else on here is delusional. Maybe moving to the FBS, moving up??? no so much.

That's what happens when someone who has no idea about football south of the MVFC tries to talk about it.

Sam_Kats
May 2nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Funny

BEAR
May 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Sunbelt...up.....two words I never thought i'd hear in the same sentence....xlolx

Sammy94
May 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
In case you haven't caught on..or don't read..or are as much of a ****ing idiot as you appear to be, not every alumni of every FCS school has aspirations of being FB

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

ASUMountaineer
May 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Sunbelt...up.....two words I never thought i'd hear in the same sentence....xlolx

Technically, it's Sun Belt...so that should be three words you thought you'd never hear in the same sentence. xlolx

Squealofthepig
May 2nd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Technically, it's Sun Belt...so that should be three words you thought you'd never hear in the same sentence. xlolx

Well, maybe homonyms... I heard "Get the belt out, son, and up on my knee" quite a few times...

crossfire07
May 2nd, 2012, 05:24 PM

That made for a good laugh. Keep posting please :)

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2012, 05:28 PM
Incidentally, how do you schedule for a 37-team conference?

DFW HOYA
May 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Incidentally, how do you schedule for a 37-team conference?

A six game conference season, rotated every six years?

rexreed
May 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM
Do a little bit of research before you run your mouth.

SFA - not part of the Texas State system. Sam Houston, Lamar University, and Sul Ross State (DII) Are.

SFA - Independent.

In case you haven't caught on..or don't read..or are as much of a ****ing idiot as you appear to be, not every alumni of every FCS school has aspirations of being FBS. Texas has an overabundance of FBS schools as it is, so UTSA and Texas State jumping up have put a hold on SFA, Sam and Lamar...

Not to mention - SFA doesn't have the athletic budget currently to move up. SFA doesn't have the facilities.

Technically, unless you can magically remove the roof of the FargoDome or get money to build a new stadium..neither does NDSU (right now)

The Texas State University System does not have a flagship institution.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 07:23 AM

Texas State Uni is obviously the flagship of the Texas State Uni System. This is confirmed now by their move to FBS, above and beyond the FCS and DII schools in the rest of the system.

I'm sure Stephen is so proud, somewhere, that his namesake university is going it alone.

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 08:08 AM
Texas State Uni is obviously the flagship of the Texas State Uni System. This is confirmed now by their move to FBS, above and beyond the FCS and DII schools in the rest of the system.

I'm sure Stephen is so proud, somewhere, that his namesake university is going it alone.

Actually, you're wrong. Texas State University system does not have a flagship, each schools is represented equally, and the TSUS is unique as it's the only horizontal State University System. Texas State University - San Marcos, by taking the brand, is trying to make themselves look like the flagship

..SFA turned down offers to be part of the University of Texas and the Texas A&M University system.

ASUMountaineer
May 3rd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Well, maybe homonyms... I heard "Get the belt out, son, and up on my knee" quite a few times...

xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
May 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM

Your post shows a pretty shocking amount of ignorance with the way that the Texas State University system works. Southwest Texas State University at San Marcos isn't the Flagship of that particular system. Texas has a plethora of college systems....The University of Texas, at Austin, At San Antonio, at Arlington, at Tyler, At Galveston, At...well....you get the point ;) Then there's Texas A&M at Colllege Station, Corpus Christi, Commerce, Kingsville, Canyon, ad infinitum. Then you get the Texas State System which was a conglomeration of teacher's colleges... Would Texas State LIKE to be the Flagship? Absolutely. Do they take great pains to try to present themslves that way? Undoubtedly...but....at the end of the day, SW Texas State University at San Marcos is pretty much identical to USLL, Georgia State and a host of other overreaching social climing institutions which are anxious to shed their commuter, plan b, safe-haven-after-flunking-out-of-a-good-school-status and perpetuate the myth that their first tier, plan A destinations schools of choice, as though a simple name change can put enough lipstick on that pig to make it look attractive....

There is an identical delusion inherent to those fanbases...yes, Georgia State, Charlotte, USL and Texas State, I'm looking at you! ;)

The most entertaining thing about the Sunbelt, now, will be that Georgia State, USL and Texas State are all in the same conference.....Holy Delusions of Wannabe Grandeur, Batman! ;)

It'll be fun to look at crowd pics taken during the games at those schools. It's pretty challenging to get an accurate head count when your fan base shows up disguised as empty chairbacks!

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
MLPS,

A lesson, if you will, in the university systems in Texas.

University of Texas - Texas (Longhorns), UT-Arlington, UT-San Antonio, UT-Tyler, UTEP, University of Texas Medical Branch, UT-Pan American..so on and so on

Texas A&M - A&M College Station (aggies), A&M Commerce, A&M Kingsville, A&M Texarkana, WTAMU, A&M Galveston.

Texas State University System - Sam Houston, Texas State, Lamar, Sul Ross (no flagship)

Does this help clarify? I mean I know you think you know about football in the South and in Texas, but I wanted to at least help you know your university system

Note: I left off Texas Tech..but then again..so do most people

Sammy94
May 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Your post shows a pretty shocking amount of ignorance

Give him a break, I can see where someone that has no idea can make that mistake. If a name change makes a flagship, thank goodness our administration didn't go that route. They actually got a law passed where we would never become Texas State-Huntsville.

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
Give him a break, I can see where someone that has no idea can make that mistake. If a name change makes a flagship, thank goodness our administration didn't go that route. They actually got a law passed where we would never become Texas State-Huntsville.

SFA, Sam, Lamar, and Sul Ross are all protected.

Although, Lamar has such aspirations for the Sun Belt, they might want to become Texas State - Beaumont, or Southeast Texas State, or Refinery University.

Sammy94
May 3rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
I still call the 2 schools in North Dakota, North Dakota so that shows my ignorance as well. Then again I saw during the NC game the broadcasters did the same. :D

I guess if they had 37 schools like La. it would be much easier to figure out.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
SFA, Sam, Lamar, and Sul Ross are all protected.

Although, Lamar has such aspirations for the Sun Belt, they might want to become Texas State - Beaumont, or Southeast Texas State, or Refinery University.

I'm sure that Stephen, Sam, Maribeau and Lawrence are all very pleased, somewhere, that their namesake universities won't be corrupted with the "Texas State" brand.

Believe it or not, I was already aware of the various Texas university systems as well as the fact that the TX St system does not have a well defined flagship school - though I was making the case for Sam Marcos since they're now moving up to FBS.

FormerPokeCenter
May 3rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
I'm sure that Stephen, Sam, Maribeau and Lawrence are all very pleased, somewhere, that their namesake universities won't be corrupted with the "Texas State" brand.

Believe it or not, I was already aware of the various Texas university systems as well as the fact that the TX St system does not have a well defined flagship school - though I was making the case for Sam Marcos since they're now moving up to FBS.

Texas State's had two good Football years in the last 25. The last time they were relevant was when they won a National Title in Divsion II in the early 80's.....30 years of obscurity is hardly the stuff of a Flagship, regardless of division.

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM

Flagship, realistically, should be based on academics.

Texas State, while going to FBS due to enrollment plus the fact that they are in a pissing contest with UTSA, has not been relevant in fooball since Wacker was the coach, with the exception of Nealey..or should I say "Kneel-ey" Their playoff appearance in 2008 was due to the fact that the Southland couldn't send the real champions, the UCA Bear. The only sport that is truly strong at Texas State is their baseball program.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Texas State's had two good Football years in the last 25. The last time they were relevant was when they won a National Title in Divsion II in the early 80's.....30 years of obscurity is hardly the stuff of a Flagship, regardless of division.

They're in FBS. They have the enrollment.

Must be doing something right that Sam, SFA, etc. aren't doing or don't have.

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 10:54 AM

Location. they're between Austin and San Antonio.

FormerPokeCenter
May 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM

They're the destination school of choice.......for those who can't get into UT@Austin, Texas A&M @ College Station, or one of the other reputable schools in Texas. They also enjoy a high number of transfers who've flunked out of good schools ;)

Sammy94
May 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLrdZR7HwnY2gl4EN7Rwopl4qSDBMoy LwSPMWAQbzg95cwO5pM

They're the destination school of choice

I almost went there. With this in the middle of campus. Thank goodness I didn't. I still wouldn't have a degree. I will miss San Marcos.

http://smmercury.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Rio-Vista-summer-2009.jpg

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLrdZR7HwnY2gl4EN7Rwopl4qSDBMoy LwSPMWAQbzg95cwO5pM

I almost went there. With this in the middle of campus. Thank goodness I didn't. I still wouldn't have a degree. I will miss San Marcos.

http://smmercury.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Rio-Vista-summer-2009.jpg

I almost did too. They do have a good Geography program..but I knew I'd be on the river as opposed to in class.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Location. they're between Austin and San Antonio.

Ok? So you agree that, I guess because of their location, they have the enrollment, they're going FBS and so they're the best candidate for a flagship campus of the TSUS.

FormerPokeCenter
May 3rd, 2012, 12:50 PM
Ok? So you agree that, I guess because of their location, they have the enrollment, they're going FBS and so they're the best candidate for a flagship campus of the TSUS.

No, he doesn't agree with your guess at all. Flagship status is based on Academics. If you knew anything at all about SWTSU@ SM, you'd know that they're not an especially difficult school to get a degree from...Not unlike Ga. State, USL, etc., which is why they're the fall back school of choice for those who flunk out of challenging curriculums...

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 12:54 PM

Nope because their academics aren't the best out of the group.

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 12:55 PM
No, he doesn't agree with your guess at all. Flagship status is based on Academics. If you knew anything at all about SWTSU@ SM, you'd know that they're not an especially difficult school to get a degree from...Not unlike Ga. State, USL, etc., which is why they're the fall back school of choice for those who flunk out of challenging curriculums...

Curriculums? Is that a word?

Every university system at least has a stand-out campus, in which case TSU has to be that. I don't think I'll get any argument there. Well except of course by bitter fans of Southland schools.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2012, 12:58 PM

Technically it could be curriculi. But, of course, you'd have needed to actually attend a college or university to understand what a curriculum is.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com
http://www.college-sports-journal.com

FormerPokeCenter
May 3rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Technically it could be curriculi. But, of course, you'd have needed to actually attend a college or university to understand what a curriculum is.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com
http://www.college-sports-journal.com

Actually, "curriculums" or "curricula" are the correct plural forms of the word curriculum ;)

FormerPokeCenter
May 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM

Yes....and the fact that you didn't know that underscores the ignorance you've shown in a discussion about flagship university status.....;)

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM

Every university system at least has a stand-out campus, in which case TSU has to be that. I don't think I'll get any argument there. Well except of course by bitter fans of Southland schools.

Have you been to Texas State's campus? How about Sam Houstons? SFA? Have you been anywhere south of the Dakota marker?

Sammy94
May 3rd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Well except of course by bitter fans of Southland schools.

I'm not sure I've seen a bitter Southland fan. Perhaps a bitter North Dakota fan that lives in a state that has no BCS program. As Rev stated before not every school has aspirations of BCS. Here in Texas we have plenty of FBS schools to choose from.

slycat
May 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
I'm just happy to have a home after the WAC dissolved. Be crazy and add to reputation if App St and GSU join.

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm just happy to have a home after the WAC dissolved. Be crazy and add to reputation if App St and GSU join.

True. You guys did get into stability. I think it's a better move in terms of football. No one is going to care about Texas State vs SJSU.

Texas State vs UL-Lafayette would mean a sold out Bobcat Stadium...

slycat
May 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
True. You guys did get into stability. I think it's a better move in terms of football. No one is going to care about Texas State vs SJSU.

Texas State vs UL-Lafayette would mean a sold out Bobcat Stadium...

I agree. And to add on against what mplsbison said, SFA and SHSU have found the niche in FCS to work very well for them and they are happy there. Texas State never was. Their fans and students for the most part wanted to be in any FBS conference that will take them. Each ideology from each school is great in its own way. FBS isn't for everybody and FCS isn't for everybody.

I'll miss the playoffs but live the scheduling we've already put together. Besides its only a matter of time before the FBS plan in playoff expands like the FCS playoffs have over the past few years.

I really don't get the hate between FBS/FCS. Fans on both sides get so worked up about it (mplsbison and Leigh fan)

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
I agree. And to add on against what mplsbison said, SFA and SHSU have found the niche in FCS to work very well for them and they are happy there. Texas State never was. Their fans and students for the most part wanted to be in any FBS conference that will take them. Each ideology from each school is great in its own way. FBS isn't for everybody and FCS isn't for everybody.

I'll miss the playoffs but live the scheduling we've already put together. Besides its only a matter of time before the FBS plan in playoff expands like the FCS playoffs have over the past few years.

I really don't get the hate between FBS/FCS. Fans on both sides get so worked up about it (mplsbison and Leigh fan)

Yeah..I think Sam is 1/2 and 1/2 on wanting to jump or stay...all SFA fans want to stay because..we know we lack the facilities and funding.

..and now that we aren't playing you in conference, we will have one less L when it comes to the end of the year (conference standings wise)

Sam_Kats
May 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
And we'll have one less W xlolx

slycat
May 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
And we'll have one less W xlolx

Oh yeah you sure dominated us. xrolleyesx

Seemed pretty even to me.

rexreed
May 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Once again there is no flagship school in the TSUS. Why would a school's football team dictate flagship status?

Sammy94
May 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm happy for SWT. Sorry our rivalry has ended. Perhaps we will meet again. In the past we have tend to schedule our FBS opponent (s) from the better conferences so perhaps not. :D

FormerPokeCenter
May 3rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
I'm happy for SWT. Sorry our rivalry has ended. Perhaps we will meet again. In the past we have tend to schedule our FBS opponent (s) from the better conferences so perhaps not. :D

L-O-L!

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 07:16 PM

Uh. UNM ring a bell? That's pushing that statement a bit

FormerPokeCenter
May 3rd, 2012, 07:24 PM

C'mon, the Sunbelt jab about "better conferences" was very nicely done!

MplsBison
May 3rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Once again there is no flagship school in the TSUS. Why would a school's football team dictate flagship status?

Steve, Sammy, Sul and Mari wouldn't have it any other way. You guys should form a "Namesake University System" and your motto can be the Latin version of one for all and all for one, or something like that.

Maybe even start new university for Ron Paul?

TheRevSFA
May 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Steve, Sammy, Sul and Mari wouldn't have it any other way. You guys should form a "Namesake University System" and your motto can be the Latin version of one for all and all for one, or something like that.

Maybe even start new university for Ron Paul?

Im guessing north Dakota is lacking people who are worth naming **** after

Maybe there's hope for lakes to get minot state to change their name

Sammy94
May 4th, 2012, 08:08 AM

The key word was tend. We usually schedule Big XII or Conference USA. There are times we have played the WAC but I can't recall a Sunbelt opponent in the past decade or so.

TheRevSFA
May 4th, 2012, 08:22 AM
C'mon, the Sunbelt jab about "better conferences" was very nicely done!

It was..but I had to remind them that they beat a FBS school with DII talent (hey..kinda like Idaho)..

but then again..we beat ULM a few years ago..same thing.

Sammy94
May 4th, 2012, 08:35 AM
It was..but I had to remind them that they beat a FBS school with DII talent (hey..kinda like Idaho)..

I wasn't bragging about a win against last year's FBS opponent against DII talent (kinda like Minnesota too). As I wouldn't brag about a win against a Sun Belt opponent (which IMO is FCS talent with the FBS name). Let us beat one our FBS opponents this year and I will look like the average Bison fan on here. Never mind they usually just talk about playing a real FBS school. Maybe the average Appy State fan.

TheRevSFA
May 4th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I wasn't bragging about a win against last year's FBS opponent against DII talent (kinda like Minnesota too). As I wouldn't brag about a win against a Sun Belt opponent (which IMO is FCS talent with the FBS name). Let us beat one our FBS opponents this year and I will look like the average Bison fan on here. Never mind they usually just talk about playing a real FBS school. Maybe the average Appy State fan.

I personally don't think y'all will beat A&M....

but Baylor is looking like a W and I'm pissed we had to play them when RG3 was having his Heisman year

Sammy94
May 4th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I don't think we will win either one. But we do have the talent to at least make both a game and possibly upset Baylor. No way we win at Kyle Field as the substitution for the Lone Star Showdown.

PurpleOut
May 4th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I approve of this thread...all around. Please keep up the fail posts MplsBison, it's awesome on a Friday.

PurpleOut
May 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I personally don't think y'all will beat A&M....

but Baylor is looking like a W and I'm pissed we had to play them when RG3 was having his Heisman year

They wont win either of them.

813Jag
May 4th, 2012, 11:49 AM

Actually, you're wrong. Texas State University system does not have a flagship, each schools is represented equally, and the TSUS is unique as it's the only horizontal State University System. Texas State University - San Marcos, by taking the brand, is trying to make themselves look like the flagship

..SFA turned down offers to be part of the University of Texas and the Texas A&M University system.
this is an arguement you can't win...........xreadx

GA St. MBB Fan
May 5th, 2012, 09:16 AM
MLPS,

A lesson, if you will, in the university systems in Texas.

University of Texas - Texas (Longhorns), UT-Arlington, UT-San Antonio, UT-Tyler, UTEP, University of Texas Medical Branch, UT-Pan American..so on and so on

Texas A&M - A&M College Station (aggies), A&M Commerce, A&M Kingsville, A&M Texarkana, WTAMU, A&M Galveston.

Texas State University System - Sam Houston, Texas State, Lamar, Sul Ross (no flagship)

Does this help clarify? I mean I know you think you know about football in the South and in Texas, but I wanted to at least help you know your university system

Note: I left off Texas Tech..but then again..so do most people

Are all three of these tax payer funded public university systems? Why so many? I know this is not unusual as I believe both TN and CA have multiple university systems, but this just seems like a lot of unnecessary administrative overlap and as a byproduct unnecessary tax payer expense.

MplsBison
May 5th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Are all three of these tax payer funded public university systems? Why so many? I know this is not unusual as I believe both TN and CA have multiple university systems, but this just seems like a lot of unnecessary administrative overlap and as a byproduct unnecessary tax payer expense.

California only has 3 systems. The high-research UC system, the undergraduate focus CSU system and the junior college system.

Texas has those three mentioned - and more! They also have systems for Houston and I believe North Texas as well. And that doesn't say anything about junior colleges.

TheRevSFA
May 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Look at our population plus out of state enrollment

Texas can pull it off.

UNIFanSince1983
May 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Flagship, realistically, should be based on academics.

Texas State, while going to FBS due to enrollment plus the fact that they are in a pissing contest with UTSA, has not been relevant in fooball since Wacker was the coach, with the exception of Nealey..or should I say "Kneel-ey" Their playoff appearance in 2008 was due to the fact that the Southland couldn't send the real champions, the UCA Bear. The only sport that is truly strong at Texas State is their baseball program.

As a UNI fan I got a pretty good kick out of this one! :D

MaximumBobcat
May 6th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Wow, I haven't been on this site in a year and it's still the same pathetic little men with ego problems I remember talking smack about TXST.

Now I know that Bison guy was trolling you guys pretty hard...but why don't you guys try to talk UP your school instead of trying to talk down others?

Sam_Kats
May 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM
"little men with ego problems" argument coming from a TEXAS STATE fan!?!?!? That's a JOKE, right??

crossfire07
May 7th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I don't think we will win either one. But we do have the talent to at least make both a game and possibly upset Baylor. No way we win at Kyle Field as the substitution for the Lone Star Showdown.

Baylor will have 2 weeks to get ready for Sam Houston after their game with SMU.I would go watch it if McNeese had an open date but we will be in Utah that week.