PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette's President Resigns

Go...gate
May 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Leaving for Haverford College as of June 1, 2013.

Wonder if the scholarship thing hastened his departure?

DFW HOYA
May 1st, 2012, 03:42 PM
Wonder if the scholarship thing hastened his departure?

My guess would be no, inasmuch as the selection process for college presidents routlinely takes 9-12 months; however, he might have signed off figuring it was going to be someone else's issue to deal with.

University CEO's often leave because of 1) better opportunities elsewhere, 2) more money, 3) they are hired away, or 4) they no longer have the trustees' long term support. The Pard fans can fill in the rest of us if any of the four apply in this case.

Wildcat80
May 1st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Haverford a step down....but better location to live?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 1st, 2012, 04:45 PM
Haverford a step down....but better location to live?

I'm not sure I would call Haverford a step down. Every ranking I've found has HC ranked ahead of Lafayette. With that said, both are excellent schools.

Bogus Megapardus
May 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Haverford is a step down. There is no question in my mind. But Dr. Weiss can live on the plush Main Line and he won't have to deal with hard science, engineering, fraternities, sororities, football or Division I sports whatsoever. They have a helluva a capella group, though, right? Why be relevant when you can just sit back and relax and gaze into space at Penn's no. 2 safety school?

van
May 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Do they have puppet shows at Haverford?

Bogus Megapardus
May 1st, 2012, 07:21 PM
Do they have puppet shows at Haverford?

If they do, they'll be substantially less fulfilling for Doctor Dan. Word on the Lafayette Board is that Haverford's president makes about half what Lafayette's president makes.

Should the Haverford puppet entertainment budget run over, though, Dan always could take everyone up to see a Lafayette-Lehigh game. He'll know the way.

HailSzczur
May 1st, 2012, 07:55 PM
Haverford is a step down. There is no question in my mind. But Dr. Weiss can live on the plush Main Line and he won't have to deal with hard science, engineering, fraternities, sororities, football or Division I sports whatsoever. They have a helluva a capella group, though, right? Why be relevant when you can just sit back and relax and gaze into space at Penn's no. 2 safety school?

Pretty good description. Here at Nova we tend to look at them and think that they are way out there. Its a very very strong liberal arts college and honestly as an engineer I consider them a bunch of wack jobs. For example, all exams are take home and students are expected to abide by the honor code when taking them (ie no outside help, no calculators if not permitted, no comparing answers)....they have public walking trails and a duck pond on campus that they encourage the community to use....students are encouraged to leave their doors opened even if they are not in the room....when they have parties in the dorms public safety asks people if they want them to break things up instead of just shutting things down

It's a much different world than the Lafayette, and honestly sounds like probably a much easier job. All Athletics are DIII so thats not an issue. No real specialized schools or departments to take care of either

TheValleyRaider
May 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Much like Becky Chopp heading to Swarthmore, probably just moving on to an environment he finds more congenial to his tastes...

Go...gate
May 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM
Much like Becky Chopp heading to Swarthmore, probably just moving on to an environment he finds more congenial to his tastes...

I understood that Chopp was very happy at Colgate. Was this not the case?

Bogus Megapardus
May 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
Here's the evolving discussion on the Lafayette Board, if anyone's interested:

http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/about1999.html

Feel free to join in.

Bogus Megapardus
May 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Pretty good description. Here at Nova we tend to look at them and think that they are way out there. Its a very very strong liberal arts college and honestly as an engineer I consider them a bunch of wack jobs. For example, all exams are take home and students are expected to abide by the honor code when taking them (ie no outside help, no calculators if not permitted, no comparing answers)....they have public walking trails and a duck pond on campus that they encourage the community to use....students are encouraged to leave their doors opened even if they are not in the room....when they have parties in the dorms public safety asks people if they want them to break things up instead of just shutting things down

It's a much different world than the Lafayette, and honestly sounds like probably a much easier job. All Athletics are DIII so thats not an issue. No real specialized schools or departments to take care of either

Exactly. And which Main Line institution will better prepare a young man or woman to be an energetic, productive, knowledgeable member of American society? Villanova. It's not even close.

Ivytalk
May 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM
Hey, Bogus, why not throw your hat in the ring?

Bogus Megapardus
May 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
Hey, Bogus, why not throw your hat in the ring?

Elbow strain. I'm out for the season.

32counter
May 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
Haverford is a perfect place for pipe smoking,bow ties and patches on herringbone jackets-a place to dream about competitive sports and turn into sonnets.

HailSzczur
May 1st, 2012, 10:44 PM
Exactly. And which Main Line institution will better prepare a young man or woman to be an energetic, productive, knowledgeable member of American society? Villanova. It's not even close.

I like the way you think.

Not trying to say that they are doing it wrong or any better/worse than Nova, Lafayette, or any school for that matter. Just saying they do it differently

Bogus Megapardus
May 1st, 2012, 10:47 PM
Haverford is a perfect place for pipe smoking,bow ties and patches on herringbone jackets-a place to dream about competitive sports and turn into sonnets.

Believe me, Lafayette has more than is share of pipes, bow ties and herringbone jackets. After all, the guy who does Vineyard Vines (http://www.vineyardvines.com/) is a Pard.

But the jackets all are XXL, the pipes are of a patented, engineered alloy and the bow ties are surplus from a $100 mm IPO.

Therein lies the difference.

Go...gate
May 2nd, 2012, 12:29 AM
Believe me, Lafayette has more than is share of pipes, bow ties and herringbone jackets. After all, the guy who does Vineyard Vines (http://www.vineyardvines.com/) is a Pard.

But the jackets all are XXL, the pipes are of a patented, engineered alloy and the bow ties are surplus from a $100 mm IPO.

Therein lies the difference.

A few of us at Colgate are XXL too, including moi - the ravages of age. And our bookstore sells a LOT of Vineyard Vines in school colors and patterns.

TheValleyRaider
May 2nd, 2012, 08:23 AM
I understood that Chopp was very happy at Colgate. Was this not the case?

I never heard she wasn't, but she did leave. Might have been money involved, but I'm guessing environment mattered as well

BEAR
May 2nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
A president resigns? What's that? Ours usually get fired or forced out..xlolx

crusader11
May 2nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
I tweeted this the other day at LFN: "@LFN Maybe the pressure of carney2 and Bogus Megapardus finally got to him."

Franks Tanks
May 2nd, 2012, 10:31 AM

Haverford and Swarthmore are the pinnacle of the liberal arts ideal in the minds of people like Chopp and Weiss. They take a salary cut, and move to a much easier position to bask in the self-congratulatory glow. At Colgate and Lafayette you must deal with D-I athletics, greeks, powerful alums, and keep innovative academic departments on the cutting edge. I guess this takes it toll. For whtever reason a move such as this is becoming the next step for PL presidents.

Weiss- Lafayette to Haverford
Chopp- Colgate to Swarthmore
Adams- Bucknell to Colby

Lehigh Football Nation
May 2nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Look on the bright side for them - no homecomings to plan. No sellout stadiums to get security for. No mentions on the sports page, or on TV. Huge swathes of the population where the words "Haverford" and "Swarthmore" are about as exotic as the ancient Etruscans, or Greek philosophers. In other words, a much easier job for them. Why wouldn't they sign up? xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
May 2nd, 2012, 10:54 AM
I tweeted this the other day at LFN: "@LFN Maybe the pressure of carney2 and Bogus Megapardus finally got to him."

Who, me? I like Dan. Really. OK, so maybe I posted stuff like this once in a while:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6082/lafayettecharlie.png

He doesn't have to be so thin-skinned about it, though. Haverford has no athletic message board, no football and little in the way of varsity sports aside from fencing and cricket - so there really won't be anybody to kick Dan around any more.

ngineer
May 3rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Ol' Dan finally got 'weiss' and traded down. Less stress when not being bitched at by the development people about pssing off 1/2 the alumni base with the war on the Greek system. There has been an undercurrent for 'regime change' on College Hill for the past year or so.