PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll In the Media

Josh
May 24th, 2005, 04:32 PM
How come only 2 schools released the poll?

Was this too early?

I hope not even though there were mistakes like not having Texas State in there the poll looked good.

How come schools aren't releasing it more?

Maybe Ralph should have kept the poll results until the magazine comes out and have it released when the magazine came out?

What do you all think?

I just think the poll is too good to only get put in 2 school press releases.

Most SIDs are on vacation. Maybe they wont even see it until a week or two from now?

89Hen
May 24th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I think it's late May. They'll pick it up.

Josh
May 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM
SIDs get a lot to release. I hope they don't lose this in email. It is a pretty good poll.

I will say this, based on rumors of S&S and Lindy's and Athlon their polls aren't that great.

In one major magazine I heard there might be 2 very off the wall picks that no one here would even think about.

Retro
May 24th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Actually, i thought the poll wasn't going to be released until the magazine was ready. I think it's better to release it in the publication with all the other information because you get more exposure that way and more interest in people buying the magazine..

Josh
May 24th, 2005, 05:57 PM
More than two schools put out releases on it. The top Internet college sports site has it on the front page. AP had a release on it. The mag is not about the AGS Poll but will have it cemented in print for everyone. The mag is more about covering all of I-AA. More to come for sure about the AGS Poll in the press...

Well only 2 schools yesterday did. how many and which schools cause i wanna check out what they said.

Did you think about releasing the poll when the magazine comes out next year like Athlon and them do? Maybe release it to SIDs and let them put out that their team was ranked wherever and then leaving the full poll to be released in the magazine.

Josh
May 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM
While the AGS Poll is better or at least equally as good, it is still a newer poll and we will grow to be more recognized. We have to take advantage now of the fact that we are first and best.

Oh well I believe the best is in the eye of the beholder but I do think AGS could be the best.

I want to see a 3 year comparison after 2006 to see how they all rank. That would be a good idea for an article. In a bad year for AGS I bet it is at least 3rd anyway.

Hey what other schools? I looked and only saw 2 schools release the AGS poll.

I want more to release it but I am guessing the fact it is early is why. Maybe more schools release it each week hopefully.

What other schools so far have released it? Would be curious to see which schools are recognizing it already.

Josh
May 24th, 2005, 07:09 PM
I just think an article with stats on AGS being the best would prove to everyone else what we all think that AGS is the best. I think it would be one everyone would read.

Chi Panther
May 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I could really care less if its the best poll or not....I just like seeing what the general public thinks instead of some glorified journalists.....but I do appreciate the work of journalists.....

Josh
May 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I could really care less if its the best poll or not....I just like seeing what the general public thinks instead of some glorified journalists.....but I do appreciate the work of journalists.....

I agree but Ralph says it is the best so I am curious as to the stats on it. I believe him but I love reading stats. That is my job anyway!

I really don't put any stock into any poll though in terms of letting it change my thought. I do the research on my own but it is fun to read opinions of others.

Chi Panther
May 24th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I really don't put any stock into any poll though in terms of letting it change my thought.

and that is why we love you Swami :D

Josh
May 24th, 2005, 09:19 PM
and that is why we love you Swami :D

I love you all too... :D

rabidsaluki
May 24th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I'll zap an e-mail off to one of the media guys here at SIU, they are usually pretty good at answering. Although I know they won't be too hype on publishing it, since we're #11 in the poll. I'll pump us up as the only 'real' fan-based published poll and be as objective as possible.

We're pretty tied up around here anyway. The softball team just came off of a record setting year and a third straight NCAA tourney appearance. (A bit dissapoining as well, sounds like both basketball and football in Saluki-ville) Now our baseball team has a legit shot of making the NCAA tourney as well. The SID and Media Relations folks are going to be beat up, but I'll see what I can conjure up!

Josh
May 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I posted the stats here already based on last year...

Can you post a link? I am curious where S&S and Lindy's fall in line!

Josh
May 25th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Check UNI, UMass and Montana to start...

Ok so 3 schools... these schools need to get on the ball...they need to release this poll and get the news out so the best can get better!!!

blackfordpu
May 25th, 2005, 11:56 AM
I sent an email to the Huntsville Item's sports editor about the poll. Hopefully he will pick it up. :)

blackfordpu
May 25th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Just sent one to the Sam Houston sports media relations guy too. Maybe one of the two will pick up the story. If not I just may have to write it and send it to them. :)

Josh
May 25th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Check UNI, UMass and Montana to start...

Montana's fan site used it, not the official school site. They all need to pick it up!

Josh
May 25th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Wrong again... http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/teams/football.stm

I checked earlier this week and they didn't. I am glad they do now!

These schools better pick it up Ralph!!!!

AGS needs pub and deserves it!!

Josh
May 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Montana released it the same day the poll came out (from their site: Posted: 5/23/2005 at 8:20 PM Mountain).

I didn't see it. Maybe I did and didn't think I did. Who knows, I am going crazy in my old age!

But still 3 out of 110 plus schools. These school SIDs better get off vacation LOL

Livgriz
May 26th, 2005, 12:57 AM
The 2005 AGS Preseason Poll was picked up and printed in the 3 largest Montana newspapers. Billings Gazette, Great Falls Tribune, and the Missoulian. Probably in the Butte and Helena papers also, have not checked.

Josh
May 26th, 2005, 01:06 AM
The 2005 AGS Preseason Poll was picked up and printed in the 3 largest Montana newspapers. Billings Gazette, Great Falls Tribune, and the Missoulian. Probably in the Butte and Helena papers also, have not checked.

GOOD!!! KEEP IT UP!!!

ISUMatt
May 26th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Most schools don't do releases on their poll status, no matter the poll. Give it five or ten years and they will respect the AGS Poll. Respect is something that is earned over time.

I think we should put ISU in the polls and see if they announce that they are ranked, my vote would be yes because they are in shock

bisonguy
May 26th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Add:

North Dakota State Ranked No. 18 in First Preseason I-AA (AGS) Football Poll (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=121215)

I recall that at least UNI, UMass, Montana, the Associated Press and many newspapers have already run the story.

AGS poll also mentioned on the local FOX TV news tonight. :D

chattanoogamocs
June 17th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Any Given Sunday :doh:

UAalum72
June 18th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Third paragraph in the text, ralph
The Pirates' average ranking is 12th. Hampton is No. 11 in Street & Smiths, No. 12 in Lindy's and No. 22 on Any Given Sunday.

eaglesrthe1
June 18th, 2005, 04:24 PM
It says both.

The Tribe, whose march to the I-AA playoff semifinals included a closely contested 42-35 win over Hampton in the first round, rates 11th in an average of three I-AA preseason polls published to date. W&M is ranked No. 6 by Lindy's magazine, 12th by the Any Given Saturday Web site and 13th by Street & Smith's magazine.

The Pirates' average ranking is 12th. Hampton is No. 11 in Street & Smiths, No. 12 in Lindy's and No. 22 on Any Given Sunday.