PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern moving to FBS

Pages : [1] 2

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2012/04/23/georgia-southern-is-going-for-it/

Loved this quote from GSU prez:

“No one gets excited about FCS, no one knows where Frisco, Texas is and who plays in the Championship Game”

Ain't it the gospel?

TheBisonator
April 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
I can't say I agree with that quote, (I think there is a decent level of support for elite level FCS) but at the same time, if you think that the FCS championship game is more well-known across the country than the bottom 5-7 bowls, you are deluding yourself. (This unfortunately is the accepted theory over at Bisonville).

Apphole
April 23rd, 2012, 02:15 PM
xcoffeex

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
I can't say I agree with that quote, (I think there is a decent level of support for elite level FCS) but at the same time, if you think that the FCS championship game is more well-known across the country than the bottom 5-7 bowls, you are deluding yourself. (This unfortunately is the accepted theory over at Bisonville).

Well - they are. Sorry you've convinced yourself otherwise.

Just look at the TV network and time slots. For right or wrong, at least you can't deny that ESPN cares more about the bottom bowls than they do the FCS championship game. It's treated with the same level of respect as the DII and DIII championship games.

BisonBacker
April 23rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Say what you want but playing for a "TRUE CHAMPIONSHIP" as opposed to playing in some crap bowl nobody cares about except the fans of the teams playing in them I'll take the Championship every time.

Bowl's do nothing for me except for transporting my donation up the river to UND every day xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
April 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Well - they are. Sorry you've convinced yourself otherwise.

Just look at the TV network and time slots. For right or wrong, at least you can't deny that ESPN cares more about the bottom bowls than they do the FCS championship game. It's treated with the same level of respect as the DII and DIII championship games.

You and Lakes can do to the FBS circle jerk as long as you want. I know you didn't' get a ticket but I was at the Championship game and it was pretty frickin sweet.

So long GSU. Say hi to Western Kentucky for us.

alvinkayak6
April 23rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
You and Lakes can do to the FBS circle jerk as long as you want. I know you didn't' get a ticket but I was at the Championship game and it was pretty frickin sweet.

So long GSU. Say hi to Western Kentucky for us.

BURN. It's so easy to lose sight of one's competitive ability when looking at the perceived bottom dollar.

Smitty
April 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Oh good! xrolleyesx

The App fans finally have quieted down about moving up, but now we have to listen to GS fans discuss and argue for the next __ Months...

LakesBison
April 23rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Duplicate thread

Eaglesrus
April 23rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Oh good! xrolleyesx

The App fans finally have quieted down about moving up, but now we have to listen to GS fans discuss and argue for the next __ Months...

Don't see any GA Southern fans participating in this thread (well, until now, that is :))

blueballs
April 23rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'll participate... I don't give a rat's hairy azz about being a bottom feeder in FBS. I like the playoffs too much and will miss them if GSU moves up.

I'll stop short of saying I won't travel the 320 miles to the games at GSU anymore but I'll say this: If I want to see an FBS wannabe that's going nowhere I can go to the UCF games that are 20 minutes from my house in a 45,000 seat brand new stadium as opposed to 320 miles one way to Statesboro.

boogereagle
April 23rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
For what it's worth, I"m a GSU grad and I'm not happy about this. Was disheartened to read the slam on FCS by GSU president Brooks Keel.

Nobody knows what FCS is? I know, and that's enough for me. I like FCS. And if it came down to a coinflip between FBS or being moved to Division II or III, I'd take Division II or III every time.

Somehow it seems we've gotten to the point where we think if we aren't on TV all the time or playing in front of X amount of people or we have too many private schools on the schedule, we're not respected.

What a load of ....

We play in one of the oldest, most-respected and historic conferences in college sports, we have great rivalries with three of the most respected FCS programs in the country and our gameday experiences are great. We also play for championships. All that gets lost because ESPN doesn't put us on TV enough to make a certain segment of the fanbase happy. All that gets lost because some people hear 'you play pee wee football' and take it personally, rather than realizing the person who said it has a peewee brain.

Ah well. If there's a positive, it's a negative one, because I doubt we'll be able to pull this off because I don't think there's enough real financial support.
The positive to that negative is that after years of hearing blowhards on the gsu board howling for the AD's head and 'all we need to do is announce a plan and the money will be there,' they'll have to start putting up. No more excuses.

I'll shut up now.

ndsubison
April 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
I wish the GSU faithful luck. I was at BWW in FTown the night before the semi-final game against GSU. There was an entire section of Eagles fans who took over the place singing their school song. Arrogant as fuk. Telling us NoDaks how they were gonna show us some real football. 35-7, beeyotch. And yeah, say hello to Western Kentucky for us, will ya? Those Eagles who left Fargo were definately BALD. From their head to their azz.....LMFAO.

ndsubison
April 23rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
How would he know about Frisco? They weren't there because their foo-foo NC run ended in Fargo, North Dakota. Talk about sour grapes.......

cbarrier90
April 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
If this is true, ASU's future in the Southern Conference just got alot more bleak.

Still don't understand slamming the division of football you'll be playing in until you get the invite, but I digress. Just say "Our best interest is elsewhere" and move on.

JSUBison
April 23rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
For what it's worth, I"m a GSU grad and I'm not happy about this. Was disheartened to read the slam on FCS by GSU president Brooks Keel.

Nobody knows what FCS is? I know, and that's enough for me. I like FCS. And if it came down to a coinflip between FBS or being moved to Division II or III, I'd take Division II or III every time.

Somehow it seems we've gotten to the point where we think if we aren't on TV all the time or playing in front of X amount of people or we have too many private schools on the schedule, we're not respected.

What a load of ....

We play in one of the oldest, most-respected and historic conferences in college sports, we have great rivalries with three of the most respected FCS programs in the country and our gameday experiences are great. We also play for championships. All that gets lost because ESPN doesn't put us on TV enough to make a certain segment of the fanbase happy. All that gets lost because some people hear 'you play pee wee football' and take it personally, rather than realizing the person who said it has a peewee brain.

Ah well. If there's a positive, it's a negative one, because I doubt we'll be able to pull this off because I don't think there's enough real financial support.
The positive to that negative is that after years of hearing blowhards on the gsu board howling for the AD's head and 'all we need to do is announce a plan and the money will be there,' they'll have to start putting up. No more excuses.

I'll shut up now.

xsmileyclapx You got that right, I think some fans have been drinking the ESPN kool aid and for them, all it's about now is some kind of twisted FBS street cred and about getting respect. It's not even about playing or watching football for them, only about seeing the scoretracker on ESPN, or watching a tuesday night game with the satisfaction of being big time and "making it". ESPN has quite a hold on some people.

dbackjon
April 23rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
xsmileyclapx You got that right, I think some fans have been drinking the ESPN kool aid and for them, all it's about now is some kind of twisted FBS street cred and about getting respect. It's not even about playing or watching football for them, only about seeing the scoretracker on ESPN, or watching a tuesday night game with the satisfaction of being big time and "making it". ESPN has quite a hold on some people.

Exactly - and they think they have made the big time because Athlon devouts a page to their conference...

ursus arctos horribilis
April 23rd, 2012, 05:32 PM

What a load of ....

I'll shut up now.

This is not a fake account I created I swear to god!

Well said boogereagle.

The need for approval and respect from others you have idle conversation with (at best) is f'n amazing.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 23rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
I wish the GSU faithful luck. I was at BWW in FTown the night before the semi-final game against GSU. There was an entire section of Eagles fans who took over the place singing their school song. Arrogant as fuk. Telling us NoDaks how they were gonna show us some real football. 35-7, beeyotch. And yeah, say hello to Western Kentucky for us, will ya? Those Eagles who left Fargo were definately BALD. From their head to their azz.....LMFAO.

How would he know about Frisco? They weren't there because their foo-foo NC run ended in Fargo, North Dakota. Talk about sour grapes.......

Congrats. You had a good defense. NDSU, Delaware, and Montana are in a completely different situation than Georgia Southern, App State, Old Dominion, and James Madison.

Going FBS, for Georgia Southern at least, is purely a marketing strategy. While we won't ever rise to the level of neighbors like UGA, 'Bama, South Carolina, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, or FSU, we could reach the level of East Carolina and that's between 2 and 3 times better than where we are in terms of attendance, revenue, and donors.

Delaware has Penn State as a neighborhood Goliath, but NDSU and Montana don't have one school within 300 miles that compares to the list above much less 7. Notice I didn't even count Ga Tech.

I love FCS, but we've hit a glass ceiling.

FargoBison
April 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
I'd argue GSU has a unique opportunity to be something different instead of another FBS wannabe playing football in the Sun Belch. Selling your soul to ESPN by playing games on any day of the week just to remain somewhat relevant. Oh well, I guess GSU will have to learn the hard way like most other former FCS schools that grass isn't always greener.

Professor Chaos
April 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Just as many people know who won the Sun Belt and where their league champ plays their bowl game as who know who won the FCS title and where that title game is played.

I don't get the "little man syndrome" some university big shots get about being relevant on a national stage. If you have a passionate fan base that fills your stadium and competes at the top of your division every year why is it so important to try to be more relevant nationally? Why do you care more about what the general American sports public thinks than what your own fans think? It's the equivalent to saying you're going to build a two level deck on the back of your house instead of finishing your basement because it'll look better to the rest of the neighborhood instead of worrying about what the people who already live there think.

I understand moving up if you have the right reasons for doing so but to do so because you think the anonymity the football team plays under will be better by default when you have no conference partner is shortsighted and naive.

Gringer1
April 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
I think that most Georgia Southern fans, even the ones that desperately want to be FBS, realize that we are several years off from making a move. We need to raise several million dollars just to reach the midpointt of the SoCon. We are trying to upgrade our facilities and coaches' salaries. You can do that much easier if you give people a lofty goal like FBS membership. I don't exactly want to see us vacate the FCS, but I know we're going to be here for a little while no matter what. Most fans know that this is all about raising funds and seeing what might happen next.

klak
April 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
I'd argue GSU has a unique opportunity to be something different instead of another FBS wannabe playing football in the Sun Belch. Selling your soul to ESPN by playing games on any day of the week just to remain somewhat relevant. Oh well, I guess GSU will have to learn the hard way like most other former FCS schools that grass isn't always greener.

When can we expect NDSU to announce their move back to D2? You gave up a lot of history and tradition just to try to remain somewhat relevant by playing at the D1 level.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 23rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Just as many people know who won the Sun Belt and where their league champ plays their bowl game as who know who won the FCS title and where that title game is played.

I don't get the "little man syndrome" some university big shots get about being relevant on a national stage. If you have a passionate fan base that fills your stadium and competes at the top of your division every year why is it so important to try to be more relevant nationally? Why do you care more about what the general American sports public thinks than what your own fans think? It's the equivalent to saying you're going to build a two level deck on the back of your house instead of finishing your basement because it'll look better to the rest of the neighborhood instead of worrying about what the people who already live there think.

I understand moving up if you have the right reasons for doing so but to do so because you think the anonymity the football team plays under will be better by default when you have no conference partner is shortsighted and naive.

Again. I don't think anyone has any illusions regarding the obscurity of the Sunbelt, MAC, WAC, MW, or even some CUSA schools vs. the obscurity of FCS. Georgia Southern's geography, alumni base, and market are really the primary factor in considering a move to FBS. In spite of all the success Eagle Football has enjoyed in it's relatively short 30 years, the reality in our area is that College Football = UGA, Alabama, etc.

While we'll never get there, eventual home games with mid-tier FBS schools will provide a certain "legitimacy" that is still in doubt to the casual fan. Playing Navy, North Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Virginia, and even Ga Tech at home is an inevitable probability. Ga Tech traveled to Middle Tenn just last year.

I'm not saying people in other parts of the country don't love their college football, but believe me when I tell you that it's a whole 'nother level in the Southeast. I was in high school in Savannah when Erk started the program at Southern and I've been in Statesboro for 20 years. Georgia Southern has a very dedicated fan base that an FBS move will only add to. There will be more expenses, but I believe they will be offset by increased revenue and donors. Recruiting will only get better as we already beat some of the lower-tier FBS schools, but an FBS Georgia Southern will keep even more high school talent in-state at the college level.

Western Kentucky is not Georgia Southern.

Apphole
April 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
When can we expect NDSU to announce their move back to D2? You gave up a lot of history and tradition just to try to remain somewhat relevant by playing at the D1 level.

+1

CropDuster
April 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
Southern's football fan base has stagnated for the last 20 years, it is clear to me that GSU will have to be a part of something bigger than FCS for us to see anymore growth. We have 20k students but average attendance has remained relatively the same over the years despite winning 6 titles, we have met the point of diminishing returns in FCS, IMO.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Southern's football fan base has stagnated for the last 20 years, it is clear to me that GSU will have to be a part of something bigger than FCS for us to see anymore growth. We have 20k students but average attendance has remained relatively the same over the years despite winning 6 titles, we have met the point of diminishing returns in FCS, IMO.

Well said and absolutely correct.

GSU (or NDSU, for that matter) can not grow their football brands much more than they are at the FCS level. Same for any top tier FCS school.

FBS is the only opportunity for continued brand growth. Granted, it may never be realized. But you either accept what you've got in FCS or you try to move onwards and upwards in FBS. So be it.

The FCS mentality is exactly the same as DII, in my mind. They just have more scholarships, so they have a better product on the field. A few programs make decent revenue and so they can afford to pay their coaches a decent salary. But that's about the only difference from DII. No one watches and no one cares except alumni.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
I'll participate... I don't give a rat's hairy azz about being a bottom feeder in FBS. I like the playoffs too much and will miss them if GSU moves up.

I'll stop short of saying I won't travel the 320 miles to the games at GSU anymore but I'll say this: If I want to see an FBS wannabe that's going nowhere I can go to the UCF games that are 20 minutes from my house in a 45,000 seat brand new stadium as opposed to 320 miles one way to Statesboro.

Is it really the playoffs that make FCS so grand and FBS so crappy? Is that the one thing?

Put it another way, if the NCAA somehow had the power to end all bowl games and instead have a 16 team tournament in FBS, would that make all the difference in the world? Would you then be doing handstands over GSU's decision to move up to FBS?

If NDSU moves to FBS, I'll still be a fan of the program, no matter if they ever play another post-season game again. I will support the team regardless if their post season is a bowl game or a tournament.

Something tells me that a lack of a post-season tournament is not the end all, be all of your disappointment in GSU's decision to move up such that you're abandoning your team. At least, I hope you have a better reason than that.

FargoBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM

What exactly did we give up? We won in DII and we are winning now, nothing has changed.

My point which you completely missed was that what GSU has now is unique, you have a kick *** FCS program and last time I checked nobody else in Georgia can say that. There are plenty of FBS wannabes in your region that think being in the Sun Belch makes them more relevant, guess what? It doesn't.

Hey but if GSU is going to move up and join a real conference, I could see the move up idea as being worth it. I just have no respect for any football program in the Sun Belt and the same goes for the WAC. They are all jokes pretending to be something they aren't.

I'd rather join DII then dream of playing against the 8th best ACC team in some meaningless bowl game.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
What exactly did we give up? We won in DII and we are winning now, nothing has changed.

My point which you completely missed was that what GSU has now is unique, you have a kick *** FCS program and last time I checked nobody else in Georgia can say that. There are plenty of FBS wannabes in your region that think being in the Sun Belch makes them more relevant, guess what? It doesn't.

Hey but if GSU is going to move up and join a real conference, I could see the move up idea as being worth it. I just have no respect for any football program in the Sun Belt and the same goes for the WAC. They are all jokes pretending to be something they aren't.

I'd rather join DII then dream of playing against the 8th best ACC team in some meaningless bowl game.

Of course it does.

Georgia State, moving to the Sun Belt, is a more relevant football program than Georgia Southern in the SoCon. They might not be a better team, but they are a more relevant program.

FargoBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Of course it does.

Georgia State, moving to the Sun Belt, is a more relevant football program than Georgia Southern in the SoCon. They might not be a better team, but they are a more relevant program.

No it doesn't, they still aren't Georgia or Georgia Tech. The only way to be relevant is by winning and by winning I mean beating schools that play in real conferences, nobody cares about who beats who in the Sun Belt. In the FBS world it takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to win lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I thought I heard somewhere that GSU needs to add $5 million to their budget, if they are serious they'd be adding $10 million.

klak
April 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM

The bolded portion was MY point, which you seemed to miss. What happens if we keep winning at the FBS level?

To continue that, say NDSU reels off another 5 more FCS titles in the next 15 years (which would match Georgia Southern's success at this level). Don't you think NDSU fans would be clamoring to test themselves at the next level?

We're looking to move up because there is nothing left to do at this level. Are the FCS playoffs fun? Hell yeah they are! But if we win a 7th title (and 8th since we win them in pairs), what does that REALLY gain Georgia Southern?

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
No it doesn't, they still aren't Georgia or Georgia Tech. The only way to be relevant is by winning and by winning I mean beating schools that play in real conferences, nobody cares about who beats who in the Sun Belt. In the FBS world it takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to win lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I thought I heard somewhere that GSU needs to add $5 million to their budget, if they are serious they'd be adding $10 million.

I realize there actually are fans who have the mentality that if you can't be in the Big Ten or the SEC, then you should be in the FCS.

I disagree. There are shades of gray between the FCS and the very top of the food chain. There are better and bigger brands of football programs inbetween. And those are places that programs like GSU and NDSU **can** reach, with the right support and some luck.

TheEagleWay
April 23rd, 2012, 09:24 PM

You really don't understand CF obviously. FCS in the South is not really respected, and probably most of the country. We know, we've played FCS ball for 30 YEARS. That's how it is down here, and I don't expect you to understand it.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
The bolded portion was MY point, which you seemed to miss. What happens if we keep winning at the FBS level?

To continue that, say NDSU reels off another 5 more FCS titles in the next 15 years (which would match Georgia Southern's success at this level). Don't you think NDSU fans would be clamoring to test themselves at the next level?

We're looking to move up because there is nothing left to do at this level. Are the FCS playoffs fun? Hell yeah they are! But if we win a 7th title (and 8th since we win them in pairs), what does that REALLY gain Georgia Southern?

Yep. Correct. NDSU has only won a single FCS title and already I'm thinking to myself "is that it? Is this the big hullabaloo that was the reason we moved up to DI?"

FargoBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM

If your plan is to add $5 million to your $12 million budget you won't win. NDSU doubled their budget in moving to DI(increased it by about $8 million) and our AD has clearly stated we'd need to add $9-10 million more just to be competitive in the FBS world. Once he starts to throw around those numbers people who talk about going FBS seem to shut up pretty quick.

Winning titles isn't going to change anything for NDSU. Finding the right conference and having the resources to do the move right is what would lead to a move up decision.

TheBisonator
April 23rd, 2012, 09:34 PM
If your plan is to add $5 million to your $12 million budget you won't win. NDSU doubled their budget in moving to DI(increased it by about $8 million) and our AD has clearly stated we'd need to add $9-10 million more just to be competitive in the FBS world. Once he starts to throw around those numbers people who talk about going FBS seem to shut up pretty quick.

Winning titles isn't going to change anything for NDSU. Finding the right conference and having the resources to do the move right is what would lead to a move up decision.

I remember when our athletic budget was $5.1 million. It was something like $15.4 million last year.

IMO, the things that are needed for NDSU to move up are 1) Increase the athletic budget to about $23-24 million (while doubling the FB budget from less than $4 million to about $8 million) 2) Fargo-Moorhead metro population reaching 300,000 people. We have 8 million dollars annually and 87,829 people to go.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:37 PM

What are the things that football programs can compete on?

You've got scholarships. Well, if you're in the FBS you can't compete on that. You have to give 90% of the maximum and most give the maximum, meaning anyone who gets an offer is getting a full ride.

You've got facilities. NDSU has top level facilities in FCS and would compare decently to most MAC schools in everything except total stadium capacity. But I don't see that as a huge deal, plus there's not a whole lot that can be done about it without a huge gift from someone.

You've got coaches. The way you compete on that is by offering a competitive salary to other schools in your conference. Again, I would imagine that Bohl's $350k salary is already competitive in the MAC.

You've got academics. Being a state flagship public school, NDSU already offers many programs. Most MAC schools are historic normal schools and can't even match the number of programs that NDSU can offer.

So right there...NDSU is competitive in the MAC with probably as little as upgrading scholarships from 63 to 85 and upgrading coaching salaries (say $500k for HC, $200 for coordinators, etc.). That's sure not $9-10 million. That's more like a couple million.

Why are you making things up?

Sader87
April 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
There's that other little problem of the school being located in North Dakota....

FargoBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
What are the things that football programs can compete on?

You've got scholarships. Well, if you're in the FBS you can't compete on that. You have to give 90% of the maximum and most give the maximum, meaning anyone who gets an offer is getting a full ride.

You've got facilities. NDSU has top level facilities in FCS and would compare decently to most MAC schools in everything except total stadium capacity. But I don't see that as a huge deal, plus there's not a whole lot that can be done about it without a huge gift from someone.

You've got coaches. The way you compete on that is by offering a competitive salary to other schools in your conference. Again, I would imagine that Bohl's $350k salary is already competitive in the MAC.

You've got academics. Being a state flagship public school, NDSU already offers many programs. Most MAC schools are historic normal schools and can't even match the number of programs that NDSU can offer.

So right there...NDSU is competitive in the MAC with probably as little as upgrading scholarships from 63 to 85 and upgrading coaching salaries (say $500k for HC, $200 for coordinators, etc.). That's sure not $9-10 million. That's more like a couple million.

Why are you making things up?

Try listening to Gene Taylor. That is where my info comes from, our AD.

He constantly throws around a budget of around what Bisonator talked about in his post..$23-24 million.

FargoBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
There's that other little problem of the school being located in North Dakota....

BSU is in Boise, Idaho. But like I said you gotta win and winning takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
As someone who lives in the middle of MAC country I can tell you no one outside of Akron, Toledo, or Athens gives a **** about Akron, Toledo, or Ohio. They have just as much juice here as Youngstown.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Try listing to Gene Taylor. That is where my info comes from.

He constantly throws around a budget of around what Bisonator talked about in his post..$23-24 million.

Right...and the pope says Catholics should always go to church on Sundays.

Taylor is clearly is projecting way high in absence of any kind of study on the matter for NDSU. He's not going to say something that sounds doable just to be told by a study that he predicted low. Much better to scare people off by projecting high and then have the study be a surprise.

frozennorth
April 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
the only conferences worth the jump outside the big 6 are the mountain west and C-USA. If NDSU can reel off another 2-3 titles, and have some success in baseball/softball/BB/WBB, and get the new BB arena built they should make the move. The MWC has 7 full members and 8 fullball members in 2013. USU will probably bring that to 8/9. If they want to go to 11/12 and have a football championship game, some combination of UM/NDSU/SDSU wouldn't be a bad move and would probably be the best three available athletic programs tbh.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:48 PM
As someone who lives in the middle of MAC country I can tell you no one outside of Akron, Toledo, or Athens gives a **** about Akron, Toledo, or Ohio. They have just as much juice here as Youngstown.

Ain't gunna jump straight to the Big Ten.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 23rd, 2012, 09:51 PM

I apologize for repeating myself, but NDSU and Georgia Southern are alike ONLY in that we're both in FCS. NDSU is years ahead of GSU with endowments, research, and donors. North Dakota's small population is the only reason NDSU (and Montana for that matter) aren't in the Big Ten or PAC 10. NDSU would be immediately competitive in the MAC which is pretty much the Great Lakes version of the Sunbelt. Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan (Penn State too) are the only schools in the area that match (or exceed) the resources of the premier schools in the SEC, Big 12, and PAC 10. The rest of the Big 10 have more in common with ACC schools (some with the Big East) than the real Big Boys.

Half of the population of Georgia is in the Greater Metro Atlanta area and half of them are out-of-state transplants. Ga Tech, Georgia State, and UGA are all Atlanta area schools. Georgia Southern still has more market share to gain in South Georgia and Low Country Carolina to Hilton Head, Beaufort, and Bluffton. Bulloch County (Statesboro) is the 27th (out of 3,143) fastest growing county in the US and Georgia Southern is projected to enroll 25,000 students by 2020.

We'd probably be in a better position to move in 5-8 years, but when the 2013 season ends, I think there will be very little movement until the next BCS contract expires. We missed our opportunity in 1989 and we need to take advantage of the opportunity IF it comes this time around.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
the only conferences worth the jump outside the big 6 are the mountain west and C-USA. If NDSU can reel off another 2-3 titles, and have some success in baseball/softball/BB/WBB, and get the new BB arena built they should make the move. The MWC has 7 full members and 8 fullball members in 2013. USU will probably bring that to 8/9. If they want to go to 11/12 and have a football championship game, some combination of UM/NDSU/SDSU wouldn't be a bad move and would probably be the best three available athletic programs tbh.

MWC would be great, but I don't think it's realistic. We could compete with Wyoming and Colorado State and that's probably about it. I don't even think Montana could jump straight into that conference.

clenz
April 23rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
I'm going to get some **** for saying this...but what you are saying is...

If football becomes one of the best FCS programs over a 3-6 year span in FCS history, the basketball team goes from RPI's in the bottom half of the nation every year to the top 100 (realistically you'd need a couple runs in the NCAA's as well on the mens and womens side) and every other sport being in contention for the tournament every year we have a shot to move up.....

I realize not every (hell, almost none) of the MWC compete for a title in any sport...however, to move from the Summit to one of those leagues you need to prove you belong first....NDSU is years away from that. Not that it can't/won't happen, but the dream of moving FBS football depends just as much on other sports as it does for football.

cbarrier90
April 23rd, 2012, 10:14 PM
Of course it does.

I got a kick out of this post...xlolx

frozennorth
April 23rd, 2012, 10:25 PM

If football becomes one of the best FCS programs over a 3-6 year span in FCS history, the basketball team goes from RPI's in the bottom half of the nation every year to the top 100 (realistically you'd need a couple runs in the NCAA's as well on the mens and womens side) and every other sport being in contention for the tournament every year we have a shot to move up.....

I realize not every (hell, almost none) of the MWC compete for a title in any sport...however, to move from the Summit to one of those leagues you need to prove you belong first....NDSU is years away from that. Not that it can't/won't happen, but the dream of moving FBS football depends just as much on other sports as it does for football.
ndsu was ranked above 100 in the rpi for most of the year (peaked in the 50's), as was sdsu the entire year, and both NDSU (2009)and SDSU (2012) performed well in their respective losses as 14 seeds. Baseball is doing very well, as have softball and VB. WBB is a mess though. Aside from maybe UTEP, there really aren't any better candidates for the MWC. Since SDSU and NDSU joined the summit, its gone from a crappy lower tier conference to a borderline two-bid conference. Oral Roberts, who used to own the conference, is literally fleeing because they aren't competitive enough.

In five years, I could se NDSU being ready to make the leap, but not before then.

I would be surprised if NDSU doesn't win at least two of the next 5 titles.

frozennorth
April 23rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
MWC would be great, but I don't think it's realistic. We could compete with Wyoming and Colorado State and that's probably about it. I don't even think Montana could jump straight into that conference.

aside from WBB, NDSU is basically a competitive equal with Montana at this point, or at least close enough to call it equal.

Apphole
April 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
The Canadians are something else. They're more pretentious after one NC than App fans were after 3 in a row.

frozennorth
April 23rd, 2012, 10:43 PM
I apologize for repeating myself, but NDSU and Georgia Southern are alike ONLY in that we're both in FCS. NDSU is years ahead of GSU with endowments, research, and donors. North Dakota's small population is the only reason NDSU (and Montana for that matter) aren't in the Big Ten or PAC 10. NDSU would be immediately competitive in the MAC which is pretty much the Great Lakes version of the Sunbelt. agreed.
Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan (Penn State too) are the only schools in the area that match (or exceed) the resources of the premier schools in the SEC, Big 12, and PAC 10. The rest of the Big 10 have more in common with ACC schools (some with the Big East) than the real Big Boys. I would add Michigan State, Wisconsin, and maybe nebraska to that list.

I get the feeling here that you are saying that only those four schools match up to the standard for the SEC/Big12/pac12, which is beyond ridiculous. If you look at complete athletic departments, even weighted toward $ sports, I would say the big10 sets the bar.

We'd probably be in a better position to move in 5-8 years, but when the 2013 season ends, I think there will be very little movement until the next BCS contract expires. We missed our opportunity in 1989 and we need to take advantage of the opportunity IF it comes this time around. with so many teams leaving C-USA, i would say that you have a shot. I'm not sure how you BB and VB are, but i understand your BaseB to be pretty good.

The Canadians are something else. They're more pretentious after nine NC's than App fans were after 3 in a row.

this is how NDSU fans see themselves. NDSU is a flagship school in a rich booming town in a rich booming state, you can call it entitled or whatever, but their expectations and confidence are a little high there.

Canadians are in Grand Forks. Fargo doesn't do hockey.

Professor Chaos
April 23rd, 2012, 10:48 PM
Yep. Correct. NDSU has only won a single FCS title and already I'm thinking to myself "is that it? Is this the big hullabaloo that was the reason we moved up to DI?"
Were you down in Frisco? That's a rhetorical question because I know you weren't if that's the mentality you have. So you're saying you'd get your rocks off more if NDSU was in the Motor City Bowl every 4 years rather than in the FCS National Championship game every 4 years?

I wish GSU the best of luck. I don't agree with their reasons but if they have aspirations towards being more "relevant" in football than they are now this is a necessary first step. The Sun Belt is equivalent to the FCS in terms of relevance but it's a foot in the door for something possibly bigger and better. I just hope the administration isn't pinning this on a 5 year type plan and telling those donors opening their checkbook for this move that it'll be all roses in a few years. This will be a very long and arduous process if they hope to get to the level of an ECU or eventually a Boise St.

Apphole
April 23rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
You have one division one NC. That is all. Like I've said before, GPAs don't carry over from high school to college.

frozennorth
April 23rd, 2012, 11:09 PM
You have one division one NC. That is all. Like I've said before, GPAs don't carry over from high school to college.

of course from the perspective of notre dame or alabama, none of our schools have any national championships.

FargoBison
April 23rd, 2012, 11:58 PM

Football is king, but NDSU is well on its way to proving we belong. Pretty sure we have been top 100 in the Directors Cup for the past few years now. The basketball program is struggling mainly because we play in a dump of an arena but that will be changing soon.

FargoBison
April 24th, 2012, 12:06 AM

You don't get into Harvard with a crappy GPA. Our past success is the reason why we have an NC just a few years out of DII.

LakesBison
April 24th, 2012, 01:49 AM
NDSU ALREADY OWNS THE FCS!! 2 years of 10-1 #1 ranked seasons. (2 down years) then DAM near back to back titles!

MWC is NDSU peer institutions. Wyoming, Colorado State, New mexico. NDSU absolutely belongs there.

eaglewraith
April 24th, 2012, 06:48 AM
The Canadians are something else. They're more pretentious after one NC than App fans were after 3 in a row.

That's debateable ;)

eaglewraith
April 24th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I see some guys crapping on this decision by the Georgia Southern administration. I'll say I do have my reservations, mainly because it isn't the guaranteed money maker a lot of people think it is. I also know that we'd probably wallow in obscurity for a little while. I'm not too happy with the bowl system either but there's no way we can change how it is right now.

All that being said, look at what we've accomplished so far. 6 national championships, a 15-0 season, 40 some odd playoff victories which is more than anyone else in history, 9 Socon championships in the 20 years we've been in the conference....yes we could stay here, but what is left for us to do? And more specifically, what does it gain us? It's been said that the only way you make yourself better is to continually challenge yourself. We're just looking for another challenge. It might take time but this has the opportunity to improve our program as a whole.

Sadly, I believe with us being in Georgia and with our fans exposed to UGA, Bama, Auburn, FSU, etc. they expect to see bowl games and playing against teams they know about. We've hit a glass ceiling in terms of how we can grow our support. I wish it weren't so, but it's the reality we face. We've already re-energized part of the fanbase with the return of our identity and now we need to light the fire on the rest of our fanbase. I hope I live to see the day with ~50k in Paulson. It would be incredible.

If we do move, I'd miss playing some of our conference mates. I love the trips to Furman (but God I hate you guys :p), and I've come to enjoy the trips to Wofford as well. I will definitely miss how heated the matchups with App have gotten over the past years, assuming they don't move up soon as well. I'd also miss the playoffs. Only the playoffs can inspire such fantastic optimism and pride, as well as some of the greatest heartache imaginable. I think the last 2 years have aged me by like 10 years...that's probably the one aspect I won't miss.

So please, approach this with an open mind and don't just trash us because this is something we're looking at. There's no guarantee it'll happen, it's going to require our fans to show this is truly what they want. If it doesn't happen, it's because the fans have shown they can't or won't support FBS.

If our institution decides to do this, we will leave FCS behind as probably the greatest program in its history. Who will rise up and take our place?

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Completely wrong.

NDSU still has DII bball facilities. The renovation of the white box will up it to low major DI facilities.

The move to DI was 100% for football, as it was always planned to be. A move to FBS would also be 100% about football. The conferences NDSU could get into (MAC, maybe WAC if it survives in some sort) are not basketball conferences first, like the MVC is.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I got a kick out of this post...xlolx

That's nice that you get a kick out of the truth.

Truth is, these days, your program's relevance has nothing to do with how good the team is on the field. Maybe that's a "sad reality" for you, but that's how it is today.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 07:34 AM
aside from WBB, NDSU is basically a competitive equal with Montana at this point, or at least close enough to call it equal.

Ok? Great. So neither would compete for the league's overall points lead out of the gate.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Were you down in Frisco? That's a rhetorical question because I know you weren't if that's the mentality you have. So you're saying you'd get your rocks off more if NDSU was in the Motor City Bowl every 4 years rather than in the FCS National Championship game every 4 years?

I wish GSU the best of luck. I don't agree with their reasons but if they have aspirations towards being more "relevant" in football than they are now this is a necessary first step. The Sun Belt is equivalent to the FCS in terms of relevance but it's a foot in the door for something possibly bigger and better. I just hope the administration isn't pinning this on a 5 year type plan and telling those donors opening their checkbook for this move that it'll be all roses in a few years. This will be a very long and arduous process if they hope to get to the level of an ECU or eventually a Boise St.

Were YOU in Frisco?

Tell me, when you were down there - didn't you notice a LOT of green and gold........in Frisco....TEXAS? And the supposed best other team in the FCS....was from TEXAS. It was 60/40 for fans at the game. A team whose school is located hours away and whose alumni probably mostly all live in the state.

The only reason it was better than the DII championship was because NDSU fans made it that way. They came in droves and made it into a huge tailgating party from Thurs-Sat.

As I said.... is that it?

darell1976
April 24th, 2012, 07:54 AM
agreed. I would add Michigan State, Wisconsin, and maybe nebraska to that list.

I get the feeling here that you are saying that only those four schools match up to the standard for the SEC/Big12/pac12, which is beyond ridiculous. If you look at complete athletic departments, even weighted toward $ sports, I would say the big10 sets the bar.

with so many teams leaving C-USA, i would say that you have a shot. I'm not sure how you BB and VB are, but i understand your BaseB to be pretty good.

this is how NDSU fans see themselves. NDSU is a flagship school in a rich booming town in a rich booming state, you can call it entitled or whatever, but their expectations and confidence are a little high there.

Canadians are in Grand Forks. Fargo doesn't do hockey.

Except for the sold out Scheels Arena to watch the Fargo Force of the USHL.

LeadBolt
April 24th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Georgia Southern would seem to have the 1-AA/FCS tradition, institutional size, and backing to move up to FBS. The area is growing and market size should be attainable. It would be a shame not to study the alternative of moving up to FBS at this time given all the possible changes on the horizon.

NDSU has many of these attributes, but not yet all. The biggest problem I see for NDSU is market size, as of the 2010 census there are 4 counties in Georgia more populous than all of North Dakota, followed by getting their non-football sports up to D-1 calibur.

Apphole
April 24th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Well Georgia Southern had better move to the FBS. With Chattanooga, UNCC and NDSU on the scene, it's unlikely that any other school will win any more national championships ever.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
For all the NDSU naysayers, I'll ask the same question again...does it not bother you that the GSU-NDSU game was relegated to ESPNU while freakin' Temple and Wyoming (don't see how anyone could argue those aren't inferior teams) were on ESPN in that time slot? I for one am fed up with watching teams GSU and other top FCS teams could obliterate get into crappy bowl games that sell more tickets, have better payouts, and get better TV coverage and ratings than even the FCS national championship.

I don't have any expectations about being a national power in the FBS, it's a simple matter that FBS is a better option for getting national exposure for the university via sports. As completely unexciting as playing in a lower-tier bowl game is to most people, it is a better deal overall for the school.

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Like I stated in another thread, more people live in Charlotte NC than in North Dakota. More people live in Detroit, Michigan than North Dakota..and almost as many people live in El Paso, Texas as in North Dakota.

The market isn't there. I don't see the MAC stretching that far, and not sure if the MWC/CUSA/MOUSE whatever would stretch that far east. Geography could be a factor against NDSU..however..the WAC will take anybody (see UTSA, Idaho, and Texas State as examples)

If Georgia Southern wants to move up, good luck to them. They'll then be in there with Georgia State: little fish in a big pond, and they might get a Tuesday night game on ESPN, but other than that if they play on Saturday they'll be on ESPN3 (if at all).

(No offense to Georgia Southern by comparing them to State)

asumike83
April 24th, 2012, 08:26 AM
NDSU ALREADY OWNS THE FCS!! 2 years of 10-1 #1 ranked seasons. (2 down years) then DAM near back to back titles!

MWC is NDSU peer institutions. Wyoming, Colorado State, New mexico. NDSU absolutely belongs there.

Two 10-1 years? Yes. Two years ranked #1? That is false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Final_pol l_standings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_rankings

darell1976
April 24th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Like I stated in another thread, more people live in Charlotte NC than in North Dakota. More people live in Detroit, Michigan than North Dakota..and almost as many people live in El Paso, Texas as in North Dakota.

The market isn't there. I don't see the MAC stretching that far, and not sure if the MWC/CUSA/MOUSE whatever would stretch that far east. Geography could be a factor against NDSU..however..the WAC will take anybody (see UTSA, Idaho, and Texas State as examples)

If Georgia Southern wants to move up, good luck to them. They'll then be in there with Georgia State: little fish in a big pond, and they might get a Tuesday night game on ESPN, but other than that if they play on Saturday they'll be on ESPN3 (if at all).

(No offense to Georgia Southern by comparing them to State)

If the WAC could have gotten Montana, and Montana State they then could have grabbed NDSU if NDSU was willing to move up, however the WAC currently is just like the GWFC just at the FBS level. Its a good starting place but teams want to bolt from it ASAP. After the WAC like Rev said there isn't really many choices that fit geographically unless the Big 10 or the MWC comes calling.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 24th, 2012, 08:29 AM
For all the NDSU naysayers, I'll ask the same question again...does it not bother you that the GSU-NDSU game was relegated to ESPNU while freakin' Temple and Wyoming (don't see how anyone could argue those aren't inferior teams) were on ESPN in that time slot? I for one am fed up with watching teams GSU and other top FCS teams could obliterate get into crappy bowl games that sell more tickets, have better payouts, and get better TV coverage and ratings than even the FCS national championship.

I don't have any expectations about being a national power in the FBS, it's a simple matter that FBS is a better option for getting national exposure for the university via sports. As completely unexciting as playing in a lower-tier bowl game is to most people, it is a better deal overall for the school.

I think this is the point being lost in the discussion. This is not about football. It's what is best for our particular university overall.

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I think this is the point being lost in the discussion. This is not about football. It's what is best for our particular university overall.

Yeah I've heard that reasoning. Ask ULM or Idaho how that's gone so far. I'm sure you could ask Arkansas State and FAU the same thing

What's funny about this thread is that the GA Southern fans supporting this are using the reasons that they shot down when it came from Georgia State fans.

BisonBacker
April 24th, 2012, 08:46 AM

NDSU moved up to play with it's peers in the FCS. The schools others have listed in your area that you want to compete against are not peer institutions of GSU. Plain and simple. This isn't a knock on GSU as from all I gather it's a fine school. But thinking you are a peer of Florida or Alabama ect ect because you are now FBS as much as you may want to think so doesn't make it true. It just makes you another wannabe at the bottom of the FBS barrel.

asumike83
Everyone is seriously jumping the gun here. Look at what was actually said:

- Soaring to Victory Campaign; it’s an 8 year, 36.6 million dollar campaign to ensure future athletic success, with 5 phases, the most expensive going towards Stabilizing the Program (15.5 mill) that’s towards recruiting advantages and paying their coaches, to upgrading facilites, the centerpiece is the Football Operations Center, a 57,000 square foot building that will cost 10 million dollars, the school believes can transform the program.

-5.1 million dollars has already been raised, if GSU gets the necessary 10 million, they believe construction can begin in 12-18 months, they have not yet begun a marketing campaign to raise the remaining money.

They have an 8-year, 5 phase plan to upgrade facilities. Of the $15M needed for just one part of it, they still need to raise $10M, for which a campaign to raise the funds has not even begun. Once the campaign begins and the $10M is raised, construction can begin in 12-18 months.

All of this is years away from happening. I'm happy for GSU and I hope it works out for the best but as the administration has stated pretty clearly, there is a lot of prep work to be done before a potential move can occur.

It is a long process, App got the wheels moving on a similar campaign to upgrade all of our facilities 3-4 years ago. We've still got one more round of expansion to go and like GSU, will have to wait until all the large market FCS programs are spoken for before getting a conference invite.

One of my primary concerns about ASU moving up is losing long-time rivalries. This announcement is music to my ears because if they get themselves ready, I would like nothing more than for both schools to make the jump together and transition the rivalry to the FBS. However, I think both schools will stay put until at least 2014 which is just fine by me. My concern is not with getting their first, but with doing it right and setting ourselves up for success.

NoDak 4 Ever
Yeah I've heard that reasoning. Ask ULM or Idaho how that's gone so far. I'm sure you could ask Arkansas State and FAU the same thing

What's funny about this thread is that the GA Southern fans supporting this are using the reasons that they shot down when it came from Georgia State fans.

Even moreso, how does such an unprecedented success like Georgia Southern need to "catch up" to the likes of NDSU which wallowed in the "high school" that is DII for so long?

I mean how could NDSU have possibly become such a large research institution in the desolate landscape of Southern Canada in virtual anonymity of DII?

Apphole
April 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_season#Final_pol l_standings

Don't forget "NDSU ALREADY OWNS THE FCS!!" also false

Sustained success is the only way to become a true powerhouse. Impossible in 2 years.

They're never even played @Montana or App State.

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Even moreso, how does such an unprecedented success like Georgia Southern need to "catch up" to the likes of NDSU which wallowed in the "high school" that is DII for so long?

I mean how could NDSU have possibly become such a large research institution in the desolate landscape of Southern Canada in virtual anonymity of DII?

Due to an unhealthy love of moose and Bison? :D

NoDak 4 Ever

Sustained success is the only way to become a true powerhouse. Impossible in 2 years.

Montana wouldn't schedule NDSU anymore after this.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=232490149

gotts

During which time frame?

darell1976
April 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM

In 2006 the highest NDSU reached was #4, and in 2007 NDSU was ranked #1 for the last 6 weeks of the season...before losing their last game to SDSU therefore NOT finishing the season #1. NDSU was ranked #1 twice in 2008.
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&Q_SEASON=2006
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&Q_SEASON=2007
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&Q_SEASON=2008

BisonBacker
April 24th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Well said and absolutely correct.

GSU (or NDSU, for that matter) can not grow their football brands much more than they are at the FCS level. Same for any top tier FCS school.

FBS is the only opportunity for continued brand growth. Granted, it may never be realized. But you either accept what you've got in FCS or you try to move onwards and upwards in FBS. So be it.

The FCS mentality is exactly the same as DII, in my mind. They just have more scholarships, so they have a better product on the field. A few programs make decent revenue and so they can afford to pay their coaches a decent salary. But that's about the only difference from DII. No one watches and no one cares except alumni.

Do you honestly think that fans of FBS schools like Minnesota or Nebraska or Iowa are going to give a rip if NDSU was to move to FBS as if we would all of a sudden be relevant to them at the FBS level? I don't see it. With that kind of move you need serious $$$$ that NDSU nor the state of ND is willing to put into it. Hell we can't even get the legislature to fund basic infrastructure at NDSU. I can only imagine what the folks out in the Central and Western part of the state would say. Many already have a skewed image of funding of Higher Education in ND. The amount of spending not only cash but political goodwill for NDSU int he State of ND just isn't there. Like it or not but outside of the diehard fans (which statewide NDSU doesn't have enough of to fund a move to FBS) the political and cash reserves of NDSU limit us at this time to being where we are. And where we are I am happy with. If the UNI's and Montana's of the world make the move than I say we need to do it as well. Montana and UNI ect are peer institutions of NDSU. Nebraska and Minnesota are not.

BisonBacker
April 24th, 2012, 08:59 AM

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm05zn80B81qk4v32o1_500.jpg

BisonBacker
April 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM

False,
We have played and won at Montana, just did it a year early when we were still DII. But point taken. Then again App State or Montana haven't played in Fargo either!

katstrapper
April 24th, 2012, 09:10 AM
What an arrogant ***, the GSU prez. Nobody pays attention to the Sun Belch either. He may wish they went to DII after they get steam rolled and losing their ***.

Apphole
April 24th, 2012, 09:17 AM
False,
We have played and won at Montana, just did it a year early when we were still DII. But point taken. Then again App State or Montana haven't played in Fargo either!

True, but we don't have anything to prove...

Apphole
April 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM
What an arrogant ***, the GSU prez. Nobody pays attention to the Sun Belch either. He may wish they went to DII after they get steam rolled and losing their ***.

Assuming that GaSo would get steam rolled in the SBC is about as ignorant as the GSU prez making defamatory comments about the FCS. If your logic is sound that there is little difference in strength of schedule, national renown ect between the upper echelon of FCS and the SBC, and I believe it is, you must also believe that GaSo and any other future powerhouse FCS-SBC transfer (App State cough cough) will be immediately competitive in that conference.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 24th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Not this one. I knew State would be FBS as soon as they announced the creation of a football program.

I think part of the problem with Division I Football school comparisons is trying to fit 250 schools into only 2 categories when 4-6 categories is more accurate.

Georgia Southern is a relatively "new" school. The school only organized itself into separate colleges in 1968 with a 1971 enrollment of 6,000. By 1981, enrollment was @8,000 when the football program was reborn. In 1990, Georgia Southern College became the first Regional University in the Georgia system. By 2003, 15,000 students enrolled and the school was second only to UGA as the first choice for university admission among new applicants.

In 2006, Georgia Southern was reclassified as a Doctoral/Research University by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. In 2011, Georgia Southern opened a College of Engineering and enrolled 20,000 students.

The key here is growth for the University. No campus in the state, including UGA, can match the beauty and "large-scale/small feel" of Georgia Southern.

We'll be able to "get by" and support an FBS football team until our Alumni base matures and grows over the next 20 years.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1419

eaglewraith
April 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Everyone is seriously jumping the gun here. Look at what was actually said:

- Soaring to Victory Campaign; it’s an 8 year, 36.6 million dollar campaign to ensure future athletic success, with 5 phases, the most expensive going towards Stabilizing the Program (15.5 mill) that’s towards recruiting advantages and paying their coaches, to upgrading facilites, the centerpiece is the Football Operations Center, a 57,000 square foot building that will cost 10 million dollars, the school believes can transform the program.

-5.1 million dollars has already been raised, if GSU gets the necessary 10 million, they believe construction can begin in 12-18 months, they have not yet begun a marketing campaign to raise the remaining money.

They have an 8-year, 5 phase plan to upgrade facilities. Of the $15M needed for just one part of it, they still need to raise $10M, for which a campaign to raise the funds has not even begun. Once the campaign begins and the $10M is raised, construction can begin in 12-18 months.

All of this is years away from happening. I'm happy for GSU and I hope it works out for the best but as the administration has stated pretty clearly, there is a lot of prep work to be done before a potential move can occur.

It is a long process, App got the wheels moving on a similar campaign to upgrade all of our facilities 3-4 years ago. We've still got one more round of expansion to go and like GSU, will have to wait until all the large market FCS programs are spoken for before getting a conference invite.

One of my primary concerns about ASU moving up is losing long-time rivalries. This announcement is music to my ears because if they get themselves ready, I would like nothing more than for both schools to make the jump together and transition the rivalry to the FBS. However, I think both schools will stay put until at least 2014 which is just fine by me. My concern is not with getting their first, but with doing it right and setting ourselves up for success.

The primary fundraising for the new Football Operations Center is in the silent phase right now and has been for ~1 year. We are closing in on what we need to start construction. I wouldn't be surprised if we start construction in the next few months actually.

Once we get approval to start, the campaign moves into the public phase that will be accompanied by a marketing blitz. That's the part that has yet to start.

It's not as far away as you might think.

BisonBacker
April 24th, 2012, 10:24 AM
True, but we don't have anything to prove...

I don't believe it has to do with "Proving" anything but more so wanting to play the best teams available.

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 10:48 AM
of course..GA South needs one other teeny tiny thing..an invite.

asumike83
April 24th, 2012, 11:10 AM
The primary fundraising for the new Football Operations Center is in the silent phase right now and has been for ~1 year. We are closing in on what we need to start construction. I wouldn't be surprised if we start construction in the next few months actually.

Once we get approval to start, the campaign moves into the public phase that will be accompanied by a marketing blitz. That's the part that has yet to start.

It's not as far away as you might think.

Hey man, I am genuinely rooting for you! I think ASU/GSU would make a nice package deal for an FBS conference and would welcome the opportunity to move together.

However, as an App fan whose been on this ride for a while, I can say that sometimes it is farther away than you might think.

eaglewraith
April 24th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hey man, I am genuinely rooting for you! I think ASU/GSU would make a nice package deal for an FBS conference and would welcome the opportunity to move together.

However, as an App fan whose been on this ride for a while, I can say that sometimes it is farther away than you might think.

You make a good point.

However, just didn't want anyone thinking it'd be 2 years or so before we even started construction.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Do you honestly think that fans of FBS schools like Minnesota or Nebraska or Iowa are going to give a rip if NDSU was to move to FBS as if we would all of a sudden be relevant to them at the FBS level? I don't see it. With that kind of move you need serious $$$$ that NDSU nor the state of ND is willing to put into it. Hell we can't even get the legislature to fund basic infrastructure at NDSU. I can only imagine what the folks out in the Central and Western part of the state would say. Many already have a skewed image of funding of Higher Education in ND. The amount of spending not only cash but political goodwill for NDSU int he State of ND just isn't there. Like it or not but outside of the diehard fans (which statewide NDSU doesn't have enough of to fund a move to FBS) the political and cash reserves of NDSU limit us at this time to being where we are. And where we are I am happy with. If the UNI's and Montana's of the world make the move than I say we need to do it as well. Montana and UNI ect are peer institutions of NDSU. Nebraska and Minnesota are not.

I've already correctly defined the group that thinks if you can't be in the Big Ten or SEC, then you should be in FCS. You belong to that group.

I say NDSU can and should do better than FCS, knowing full well that it can never attain Big Ten status.

By the way, UNI and Montana left DII many years before NDSU did, even though NDSU was beating them back then. So are you saying we again should wait another 15 years after the fact to make the next move up? I really hope the people who make the decisions aren't like you.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Not this one. I knew State would be FBS as soon as they announced the creation of a football program.

I think part of the problem with Division I Football school comparisons is trying to fit 250 schools into only 2 categories when 4-6 categories is more accurate.

Georgia Southern is a relatively "new" school. The school only organized itself into separate colleges in 1968 with a 1971 enrollment of 6,000. By 1981, enrollment was @8,000 when the football program was reborn. In 1990, Georgia Southern College became the first Regional University in the Georgia system. By 2003, 15,000 students enrolled and the school was second only to UGA as the first choice for university admission among new applicants.

In 2006, Georgia Southern was reclassified as a Doctoral/Research University by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. In 2011, Georgia Southern opened a College of Engineering and enrolled 20,000 students.

The key here is growth for the University. No campus in the state, including UGA, can match the beauty and "large-scale/small feel" of Georgia Southern.

We'll be able to "get by" and support an FBS football team until our Alumni base matures and grows over the next 20 years.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-1419

Key there is brand growth and the upward trend of the university as a whole.

Can't maintain that in FCS. Just can't.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 12:37 PM

ULM is a more relevant college football program than SFA. Reason: ULM is FBS and SFA is FCS. End.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 24th, 2012, 12:48 PM
ULM is a more relevant college football program than SFA. Reason: ULM is FBS and SFA is FCS. End.

To whom?

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 01:00 PM

So by your logic, ULM is more relevant than NDSU. Glad to know you at least know that your state university is less relevant than a regional school in northeast Louisiana xthumbsupx

Hammerhead
April 24th, 2012, 01:08 PM
NDSU won at Montana in 2003 when we were still a D-II school. :)

Professor Chaos
April 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Were YOU in Frisco?

Tell me, when you were down there - didn't you notice a LOT of green and gold........in Frisco....TEXAS? And the supposed best other team in the FCS....was from TEXAS. It was 60/40 for fans at the game. A team whose school is located hours away and whose alumni probably mostly all live in the state.

The only reason it was better than the DII championship was because NDSU fans made it that way. They came in droves and made it into a huge tailgating party from Thurs-Sat.

As I said.... is that it?
Yes, I was there and I wasn't the least bit disappointed. In fact I came away very impressed by the town of Frisco and their promotion of the game. Sam Houston's fan following was very good, they brought 10,000 which was better than their home season average by a good margin. Had the stadium the capacity they would've brought more as would've NDSU. If you came away with a felling of "Is that it?" I feel bad for you because you apparently missed out on the great experience the rest of us had down there. If you're saying "Is that it?" based on your observations from afar you have no idea what "it" really was. I came away with the feeling that this is it and I would love to be back and see it again next year, and the year after, and the year after (provided the Bison are playing in it).

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Yes, I was there and I wasn't the least bit disappointed. In fact I came away very impressed by the town of Frisco and their promotion of the game. Sam Houston's fan following was very good, they brought 10,000 which was better than their home season average by a good margin. Had the stadium the capacity they would've brought more as would've NDSU. If you came away with a felling of "Is that it?" I feel bad for you because you apparently missed out on the great experience the rest of us had down there. If you're saying "Is that it?" based on your observations from afar you have no idea what "it" really was. I came away with the feeling that this is it and I would love to be back and see it again next year, and the year after, and the year after (provided the Bison are playing in it).

I was at the game too...and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Frisco did a good job putting it on. Both fan bases there were awesome in their support. I plan on going back next year and watching no matter who plays.

LakesBison
April 24th, 2012, 04:55 PM
To the bisonville nerds talkin smack, tab,pl (tabs not really a nerd actually)

YES everything slick vic.said was TRUE and tab, I was in your dam section for 3,4 years $1200/year.

Call me a liar, screw you guys.

NDSU needs to go FBS, then id double that $2400 a year, until then zero especially with how ive been treated

LakesBison
April 24th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Fcs has 8 legit football programs, thats it, sorry, end of story.

FBS is king and NDSU would be the Boise State of the north, guaranteed

clenz
April 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM

YES everything slick vic.said was TRUE and tab, I was in your dam section for 3,4 years $1200/year.

NDSU needs to go FBS, then id double that $2400 a year, until then zero especially with how ive been treated

Most schools tend to shy away from associating with people who act like you.

Apphole
April 24th, 2012, 05:10 PM

xlolx what a little bitch

Silenoz
April 24th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Montana wouldn't schedule NDSU anymore after this.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=232490149

And yet we did schedule you... the mind boggles

I hear we're afraid of scheduling Hofstra and Northridge too. In fact we sunk their programs just to avoid dealing with it

Silenoz
April 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Fcs has 8 legit football programs, thats it, sorry, end of story.

FBS is king and NDSU would be the Boise State of the north, guaranteed
LOL

NDSU would be the winningest program in the nation outside of Mount Union, and be in the running for national championship appearances within 15 years, guaranteed? Delusion doesn't even begin to describe that sentiment xlolx

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Lakes perhaps you should try to become AD. It has to be a better gig than the copy boy for a fox affiliate

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 08:01 PM

I will personally refund any money you've given to Team Makers if you will agree to never attend any football game or football function on or off campus ever again.

Doesn't really mean much because I'm sure that amount is actually zero, in truth.

Go enjoy your Univ of Minnesota season tickets and your home the Minnesota lakes country.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 08:16 PM

The soccer stadium in Frisco was a fine host for the FCS championship game. It's capacity of 20k fit the bill dead on. NDSU brought 12-13k and Sam Houston had 7-8k.

From what I heard, those who stayed and partied at the team hotel in the Plano area had a great time as well. I'm glad for everyone who got to go and experience it for the first time.

I never got to attend the DII championship games in Florence, but I imagine they're roughly the same experience. The hardcore alumni travel to the game, make a great weekend of it and the team has its day on ESPN2.

Only reason the FCS is bigger than the DII is simply that the schools are bigger and therefore more of the hardcore fans who are willing to travel exist for each school.

But it's the same thing.

I'm ready for the next step. I'm ready to experience a bowl game with NDSU as a team playing in the game.

cbarrier90
April 24th, 2012, 08:34 PM
The soccer stadium in Frisco was a fine host for the FCS championship game. It's capacity of 20k fit the bill dead on. NDSU brought 12-13k and Sam Houston had 7-8k.

From what I heard, those who stayed and partied at the team hotel in the Plano area had a great time as well. I'm glad for everyone who got to go and experience it for the first time.

I never got to attend the DII championship games in Florence, but I imagine they're roughly the same experience. The hardcore alumni travel to the game, make a great weekend of it and the team has its day on ESPN2.

Only reason the FCS is bigger than the DII is simply that the schools are bigger and therefore more of the hardcore fans who are willing to travel exist for each school.

But it's the same thing.

I'm ready for the next step. I'm ready to experience a bowl game with NDSU as a team playing in the game.

Then you better pray that bowl game comes with NDSU in at least the MWC or C-USA. Otherwise, I think you'll be mightily disappointed.

I'll take the (key word) "elite" FCS teams in a playoff game over Sun Belt and MAC bowls any day of the week.

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 08:35 PM

But it's the same thing.

So you're ready for the next step without having taken part of the previous steps. Effectively you aren't a big enough fan to go watch your team win their first FCS championship in person, but you're fan enough to demand FBS.

T-Shirt fan...

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 08:52 PM
So you're ready for the next step without having taken part of the previous steps. Effectively you aren't a big enough fan to go watch your team win their first FCS championship in person, but you're fan enough to demand FBS.

T-Shirt fan...

So as long as it is a person who went to Frisco making the argument, then it's completely legitimate? But because it's me making the argument, it's completely false?

xcoffeex

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Then you better pray that bowl game comes with NDSU in at least the MWC or C-USA. Otherwise, I think you'll be mightily disappointed.

I'll take the (key word) "elite" FCS teams in a playoff game over Sun Belt and MAC bowls any day of the week.

Hopefully we'll see!

I think the bowl in Detroit vs. a Big Ten team would be a good time. Not sure about the bowl in Mobile, AL vs. Sun Belt or the bowl in Boise vs. WAC (that one might not be around too much longer).

NoDak 4 Ever
April 24th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I thought the title of this was Georgia State moving to FBS not "dip****s who think NDSU belongs in FBS"

TheRevSFA
April 24th, 2012, 09:33 PM
So as long as it is a person who went to Frisco making the argument, then it's completely legitimate? But because it's me making the argument, it's completely false?

xcoffeex

I didn't question your argument; I questioned how strong your loyalty is and just how much of a fan you are.

xcoffeex

Eaglesrus
April 24th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I thought the title of this was Georgia State moving to FBS not "dip****s who think NDSU belongs in FBS"

And I thought Georgia Southern was in the title of this thread, but it must not have been. Huh, looked again and sure enough, there it is!

BisonFan02
April 24th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I thought the title of this was Georgia State moving to FBS not "dip****s who think UND belongs in FBS"

FIFY....if you're going to go there, you might as well go all the way... :D

No_Skill
April 24th, 2012, 10:02 PM

But it's the same thing.

The bolded statement is false. While in Frisco, I spoke with several "old timers" who attended the DII Championship Games and they all stated that the FCS Championship was a completely different level.

dgtw
April 24th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Hopefully we'll see!

I think the bowl in Detroit vs. a Big Ten team would be a good time.

Nothing beats Detroit in December.

LakesBison
April 24th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Mpls sioux you are NOT a bison fan NO ONE HAS MET YOUR DUMBASS!!

Il do whatever I want

JSUBison
April 25th, 2012, 01:01 AM
This thread deserves either 1 star or 5, I can't decide.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 06:06 AM
And I thought Georgia Southern was in the title of this thread, but it must not have been. Huh, looked again and sure enough, there it is!

It's funny, I keep getting them mixed up. It's all the same to me. I stand corrected.

Eaglesrus
April 25th, 2012, 06:23 AM
It's funny, I keep getting them mixed up. It's all the same to me. I stand corrected.

Seems that a lot of people get us mixed up with NDSU, cause NDSU seems to be what this thread about.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Seems that a lot of people get us mixed up with NDSU, cause NDSU seems to be what this thread about.

Well I would contend that NDSU is much like the hokey pokey in being what it's all about, but I digress. I initially wanted to point out the foolishness of the NDSU derailment of this thread in my erroneously composed post.

frozennorth
April 25th, 2012, 07:31 AM
As the number of posts in any thread increases, the likelihood of it becoming an NDSU thread approaches 100%

MplsBison
April 25th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Mpls sioux you are NOT a bison fan NO ONE HAS MET YOUR DUMBASS!!

Il do whatever I want

What does that have to do with anything?

As I've said, I'm sure many, many people regret the fact that they've met you. Does that make you more of a fan? If anything, it makes you less of one.

MplsBison
April 25th, 2012, 07:45 AM
The bolded statement is false. While in Frisco, I spoke with several "old timers" who attended the DII Championship Games and they all stated that the FCS Championship was a completely different level.

I should've said the same type of experience. Of course it's not exactly the same experience, but only because the numbers are larger for the FCS school fans that travel to the game. I already explained that in the post.

It's still the same type of experience. The hardcore fans travel to the game, make a great weekend out of it and the team has its day on ESPN2 - meanwhile no one in the national college football media gives a crap.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I should've said the same type of experience. Of course it's not exactly the same experience, but only because the numbers are larger for the FCS school fans that travel to the game. I already explained that in the post.

It's still the same type of experience. The hardcore fans travel to the game, make a great weekend out of it and the team has its day on ESPN2 - meanwhile no one in the national college football media gives a crap.

Without looking it up can you tell me who even played in the Chik-fil-a, the Beef O'Brady's, or the Meinicke Care Care Bowl?

frozennorth
April 25th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Without looking it up can you tell me who even played in the Chik-fil-a

virgina and auburn i believe.

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Without looking it up can you tell me who even played in the Chik-fil-a, the Beef O'Brady's, or the Meinicke Care Care Bowl?

Beef O Brady's bowl was FIU and Marshall. It was played in St Petersburg, FL..so FIU was IN STATE..

The attendance was 20k.

Who says the FCS NC doesn't rank against bowls?

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Beef O Brady's bowl was FIU and Marshall. It was played in St Petersburg, FL..so FIU was IN STATE..

The attendance was 20k.

Who says the FCS NC doesn't rank against bowls?

The what bowl???? Never heard of that one.xeyebrowx

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 09:00 AM
The what bowl???? Never heard of that one.xeyebrowx

There are a lot of bowls you have never heard of. Certain smartasses will just go look it up and say they knew this and that but it's all a bunch of bull****. This bowl system is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Teams only need to win 6 games in a season to become "bowl eligible" then they are chosen mostly because of where they are and who will come to the game. Meanwhile they all claim to present a "championship" for what is little more than an organized pick up game.

Keep it. I'll take that NCAA trophy any day.

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 09:04 AM
There are a lot of bowls you have never heard of. Certain smartasses will just go look it up and say they knew this and that but it's all a bunch of bull****. This bowl system is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Teams only need to win 6 games in a season to become "bowl eligible" then they are chosen mostly because of where they are and who will come to the game. Meanwhile they all claim to present a "championship" for what is little more than an organized pick up game.

I looked up the Beef O Brady's one. 20K attendance is pathetic. Such national exposure...

344Johnson
April 25th, 2012, 09:13 AM
virgina and auburn i believe.

I knew the chik-fil-a features an SEC and an ACC. Do I get a prizE?

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 09:13 AM

I agree 100%. I liked back in the day you had very little bowl games, Cotton, Sugar, Orange, Rose, Fiesta, Gator, Holiday, and Aloha. Now its name your own sponsor bowl that lasts for about 3 weeks, between half of the 100+ FBS teams. It is a joke. That is why I don't want UND moving up until there is at least a shot at a playoff or some re-alignment in the divisions like a DI (BCS teams) DI-AA (FCS)...then somewhere in between a new division with the other FBS teams and the upper FCS teams that plan on moving up (App St, Montana, etc.). This Dominos Bowl or that Rain X Bowl between Idaho and Eastern Michigan has got to stop. Either get a playoff or award a bowl game to every team reguardless of record.

eaglesrback
April 25th, 2012, 09:20 AM
You all dont remember the 2011 Idaho Potato Bowl, where Ohio University Bobcats beat Utah state 24-23 ?

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 09:24 AM
You all dont remember the 2011 Idaho Potato Bowl, where Ohio University Bobcats beat Utah state 24-23 ?

No but I was at the 2011 UND Potato Bowl. http://potatobowl.org/

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 09:29 AM

No, as a matter of fact I don't, and Ohio University is about an hour from my front door.

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 09:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Famous_Idaho_Potato_Bowl

2.4 million viewers and 28,076 attendance.

MplsBison
April 25th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I looked up the Beef O Brady's one. 20K attendance is pathetic. Such national exposure...

Yep. Must be why ESPN has no interest in this bowl and does not show it on their networks.

Now, the FCS championship game on the other hand - whoa daddy! TV ratings bonanza!

MplsBison
April 25th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Look I get it.

The low-major Bowls have a bad public perception which is only amplified a million times on here by all the bitter, jealous fans of schools that know their alma maters simply will never have the clout or determination to move up to the FBS division, even if they wanted to.

But there are realities you can not deny, even until you're blue in the face. You're wrong and I'm getting to the point of not caring.

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Look I get it.

The low-major Bowls have a bad public perception which is only amplified a million times on here by all the bitter, jealous fans of schools that know their alma maters simply will never have the clout or determination to move up to the FBS division, even if they wanted to.

But there are realities you can not deny, even until you're blue in the face. You're wrong and I'm getting to the point of not caring.

I'd rather get you to the point of not posting.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I'd rather get you to the point of not posting.

What I find the most amusing is how despondent he was about not getting a ticket to a game that apparently doesn't mean anything.

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 09:50 AM
What I find the most amusing is how despondent he was about not getting a ticket to a game that apparently doesn't mean anything.

I got a ticket the night before the game. In fact, I had four tickets that I bought off of a Montana fan. I would have sold him one...at a higher rate.

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Look I get it.

So I should be jealous that Ohio played in the Idaho Potato Bowl while UND sits in the FCS for most likely a decade or more?? Jealous is not a word that comes to my mind when hearing about these pathetic bowl games. I am jealous that Sam Houston State and NDSU played for a National title...thats what I want my school to do, not move up just to play in a bottom tier bowl game that no one has heard of.

LakesBison
April 25th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Mplsbison is NOT a ndsu fan, hes a troll

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Mplsbison is NOT a ndsu fan, hes a troll

Which is really funny because you two seem to agree.

Tuscon
April 25th, 2012, 11:34 AM
So I should be jealous that Ohio played in the Idaho Potato Bowl while UND sits in the FCS for most likely a decade or more?? Jealous is not a word that comes to my mind when hearing about these pathetic bowl games. I am jealous that Sam Houston State and NDSU played for a National title...thats what I want my school to do, not move up just to play in a bottom tier bowl game that no one has heard of.

Better than playing in a Championship game no one has heard of.

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2012, 11:50 AM

How many bowl games do you think Georgia State is going to play in anytime soon when they make the jump? Making the jump is one thing, but you would still have to win 6 FBS or 5 FBS/1 FCS to be eligible for a bowl game let alone invited. Georgia State is going from FCS irrelevant to FBS irrelevant. Congrats I guess.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 12:00 PM
How many bowl games do you think Georgia State is going to play in anytime soon when they make the jump? Making the jump is one thing, but you would still have to win 6 FBS or 5 FBS/1 FCS to be eligible for a bowl game let alone invited. Georgia State is going from FCS irrelevant to FBS irrelevant. Congrats I guess.

What's Georgia State? I thought that was just what people accidentally called Georgia Southern.

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Another publicity stunt. They know just as all of the presidents and AD's do, that there is going to be a new playoff division combining the top of FCS with the bottom of FBS. Georgia Southern has a terrible over all athletic program they would finish at or near the bottom of any FBS conference in almost every sport. They aren't going anywhere, there is nowhere for them to go, and it will shortly be irrelevant anyway.

Tuscon
April 25th, 2012, 12:04 PM

I have no idea how long it will take. We'll get there though. You guys will always have your playoff. Congrats, I guess.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Another publicity stunt. They know just as all of the presidents and AD's do, that there is going to be a new playoff division combining the top of FCS with the bottom of FBS. Georgia Southern has a terrible over all athletic program they would finish at or near the bottom of any FBS conference in almost every sport. They aren't going anywhere, there is nowhere for them to go, and it will shortly be irrelevant anyway.

Whew this just took a great turn!

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 12:05 PM

..and can you tell me without looking it up where the Fight Hunger Bowl, the Beef O Brady's Bowl, and the Military Bowl were played? Armed Forces Bowl?

I should conduct a poll on the streets...and ask where the FCS championship was played.

I bet the same answer comes across: "I Don't know" And then I ask "Where is the Cotton Bowl played?" The Sugar Bowl"

Lower tier bowl bids get just as much coverage as the FCS title game..and that's just being on in a sports bar. No one except the fans pays attention. The only time I even knew who was in the Beef O Brady's bowl was by doing my bowl pick 'em

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Whew this just took a great turn!

xpopcornx Let the Chatty/Ga Southern flame war begin...I missed these from when chatty disappeared last year.

cbarrier90
April 25th, 2012, 12:18 PM
xpopcornx Let the Chatty/Ga Southern flame war begin...I missed these from when chatty disappeared last year.

Much like his football team in late September last season...

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Much like his football team in late September last season...

That's what I was going for...there was definately a correlation between the two.

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 12:30 PM
That's what I was going for...there was definately a correlation between the two.

First of all I never "disappeared" when there was something to discuss regarding chattanooga I have been here to discuss it. On the other hand if there is a correlation occurring, my guess that you joining in the middle of a championship season would be one.

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 12:36 PM
First of all I never "disappeared" when there was something to discuss regarding chattanooga I have been here to discuss it. On the other hand if there is a correlation occurring, my guess that you joining in the middle of a championship season would be one.

Now now..to be fair he joined in September...that was towards the beginning.

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Haha...my bad that I didn't discover AGS until last September. I guess there wasn't anything to discuss with Chatty from 11/18 to 1/20? Can we count on that every year for you guys?

01-20-2012 07:30 AM Thread: Recruting Talk.
by chattownmocs Replies:619
Views:29,161 Re: Recruting Talk.
Fail. 11-18-2011 02:26 PM Thread: Georgia Southern is ESPN Page 2's "Cupcake of the Week"
by chattownmocs Replies:46
Views:2,918 Re: Georgia Southern is ESPN Page 2's "Cupcake of the Week"
No they don't. And they don't really believe they are as good as Va Tech either.

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Haha...my bad that I didn't discover AGS until last September. I guess there wasn't anything to discuss with Chatty from 11/18 to 1/20? Can we count on that every year for you guys?

Fail. 11-18-2011 02:26 PM Thread: Georgia Southern is ESPN Page 2's "Cupcake of the Week"
No they don't. And they don't really believe they are as good as Va Tech either.

here is his canned response

"Fail. I said I was on here when Chatty was mentioned about something. My school's team is the epitome of excellence in the FCS, and North Dakota State is irrelevant in history. Mocs really won the championship. We just loaned it to you for the year"

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Now now..to be fair he joined in September...that was towards the beginning.

and more to the point, is there anything really to discuss about Chattanooga ever? That would explain the absence

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2012, 12:48 PM
here is his canned response

"Fail. I said I was on here when Chatty was mentioned about something. My school's team is the epitome of excellence in the FCS, and North Dakota State is irrelevant in history. Mocs really won the championship. We just loaned it to you for the year"

Maybe it's only me, but I like the fact that his first thread response back out of hibernation was "fail".

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Actually no, there wasn't.

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Actually no, there wasn't.

So you don't care about Chatty basketball. I honestly don't blame you.

MplsBison
April 25th, 2012, 12:51 PM

I don't disagree with you -- in the long run.

But right now, the focus is getting a new post-season format for the FBS (or BCS I should say). After that, then maybe they will look at retooling DI football or making a new division.

Could be 10 years away. Plenty of time to build up some momentum in FBS and carry that over to the new division, if it comes.

One thing that's for certain, the bowls aren't just going to go off to a corner to die. Too much money into pockets.

They may become irrelevant in terms of crowing the major league college football champion, but they're not going to evaporate into thin air. There are still going to be 30+ bowl games at the end of the year which are going to need teams to play and fans to buy tickets, airfare, hotel rooms, etc.

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I don't disagree with you -- in the long run.

But right now, the focus is getting a new post-season format for the FBS (or BCS I should say). After that, then maybe they will look at retooling DI football or making a new division.

Could be 10 years away. Plenty of time to build up some momentum in FBS and carry that over to the new division, if it comes.

One thing that's for certain, the bowls aren't just going to go off to a corner to die. Too much money into pockets.

They may become irrelevant in terms of crowing the major league college football champion, but they're not going to evaporate into thin air. There are still going to be 30+ bowl games at the end of the year which are going to need teams to play and fans to buy tickets, airfare, hotel rooms, etc.

It could take 10 years, then again it is going to take Georgia Southern 8 by their own timeline to raise enough funds to make the move anyway.

MplsBison
April 25th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Does anyone here want to take a crack at articulating the angst against lower-tier FBS teams and lower-tier FBS bowls?

We all know such teams and bowls are looked upon poorly by most college football fans and media. But on this thread in particular, there is a palpable angst against these schools. The mere perception that a school moving up to FBS is a good thing and makes them a better program really stokes some people's fire.

Why?

If not jealously, then what? Where is the emotion coming from? Are you pissed that these schools think they're better when the product on the field often doesn't support such a claim? Are you pissed that the bowls get more attention from the national CFB media than the FCS playoffs and championship game?

Please, someone.

eaglemachine
April 25th, 2012, 12:59 PM

And what has Chatty won? Wrestling co champion?
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=205213212

We are not great in Soccer, but baseball, football, volleyball, golf we are near the top and our basketball team is up and coming. and if you count cheerleading as a sport, we just won another national championship in that too.:)

Also, if we become irrelevant then that means Chatty is obscure

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 01:02 PM
http://vicorientation.ca/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/AndHereWeGo.gif

xpopcornx

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2012, 01:18 PM
http://vicorientation.ca/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/AndHereWeGo.gif

xpopcornx

http://www.getthefive.com/media/cache/c6/b7/c6b79018ec12dde27436ce5566f4f690.jpg

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 01:43 PM
And what has Chatty won? Wrestling co champion?
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=205213212

We are not great in Soccer, but baseball, football, volleyball, golf we are near the top and our basketball team is up and coming. and if you count cheerleading as a sport, we just won another national championship in that too.:)

Also, if we become irrelevant then that means Chatty is obscure

Wrestling tournament champions period. According to the SOCON we are the recognized champions, but they are highly inconsistent when it comes to that, Just won both the golf team men's and women's and individual titles. We aren't having our best athletic year this year but we have multiple programs that could compete in any FBS conference most years. You don't. Not that any of this has anything to do with Chattanooga. You are the ones putting out a press release stating that you are going to attempt to raise x number of dollars over an 8 year span to make a move that won't even be available in 8 years.

blueballs
April 25th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Georgia Southern has a terrible over all athletic program they would finish at or near the bottom of any FBS conference in almost every sport.

So says the boy whose school has no baseball program...

Didn't GSU make the NCAA's in baseball, football, and golf in the last 12 months?

I'm sorry, but if you are division 1 in a southern city that has AA baseball (Chattanooga Lookouts of the Southern League) and you don't even field a baseball team you have absolutely no room to call out ANY other athletic program, especially one that is actually doing something.

Apphole
April 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Wrestling champions period. Just won both the golf team men's and women's and individual titles. We arent having our best athletic year this year but we have multiple programs that could compete in any FBS conference most years. You don't. Not that any of this has anything to do with Chattanooga. You are the ones putting out a press release stating that you are going to attempt to raise x number of dollars over an 8 year span to make a move that won't even be available in 8 years.

(spits drink on keyboard)

Ok App won the regular season and finished with 2 wrestlers in the top 5 in the NATION. You still think you're #1 don't you....

Chattown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 01:48 PM
So says the boy whose school has no baseball program...

Didn't GSU make the NCAA's in baseball, football, and golf in the last 12 months?

I'm sorry, but if you are division 1 in a southern city that has AA baseball (Chattanooga Lookouts of the Southern League) and you don't even field a baseball team you have absolutely no room to call out ANY other athletic program, especially one that is actually doing something.

What are you doing again?

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 01:50 PM
(spits drink on keyboard)

Ok App won the regular season and finished with 2 wrestlers in the top 5 in the NATION. You still think you're #1 don't you....

Chattown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

You got destroyed in the tournament which is supposedly there to decide the SOCON champion. Nice post though. To someone who didn't realize that there were dozens of wrestlers ranked in the top 5 your post might be impressive. Not that anyone would be impressed by you taking advantage of a rebuilding year from a program that is just plain better than you and you still couldn't get it done.

blueballs
April 25th, 2012, 02:05 PM
What are you doing again?

Winning.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 02:09 PM
this has gone better than I ever imagined.

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/slapfight.jpg

Apphole
April 25th, 2012, 02:22 PM
You got destroyed in the tournament which is supposedly there to decide the SOCON champion. Nice post though. To someone who didn't realize that there were dozens of wrestlers ranked in the top 5 your post might be impressive. Not that anyone would be impressed by you taking advantage of a rebuilding year from a program that is just plain better than you and you still couldn't get it done.

Of course..... It's called weight classes. No chatty to be found in the national spotlight as usual. Top 5 is top 5. You're an idiot.

National Tournament:
"Seniors Austin Trotman and Kyle Blevins received all-America honors at the 2012 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championship after finishing among the nation's best in their respective weight classes.

With Trotman's third-place finish in the 184-pound weight class and Blevins' fourth-place at 165 pounds, the team achieved its best tournament finish in over 70 years, as the Apps tied for 21st overall. It also marked only the third time since 1955 that any Southern Conference team has had multiple all-Americans in the same year."

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205407725&DB_OEM_ID=21500

If tourny's only determine the champ, you must agree with this. Oh what a flaming bag of contradiction you are...

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Of course..... It's called weight classes. No chatty to be found in the national spotlight as usual. Top 5 is top 5. You're an idiot.

National Tournament:
"Seniors Austin Trotman and Kyle Blevins received all-America honors at the 2012 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championship after finishing among the nation's best in their respective weight classes.

With Trotman's third-place finish in the 184-pound weight class and Blevins' fourth-place at 165 pounds, the team achieved its best tournament finish in over 70 years, as the Apps tied for 21st overall. It also marked only the third time since 1955 that any Southern Conference team has had multiple all-Americans in the same year."

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205407725&DB_OEM_ID=21500

If tourny's only determine the champ, you must agree with this. Oh what a flaming bag of contradiction you are...

You came to Chattanooga for the Southern Conference championship and got your *** whipped. Period, end of story. You had a nice run at the NCAAs but in no way have you surpassed Chattanooga as the dominant wrestling team in the conference. What's is going to happen next year when your SENIOR all-americans are gone?

What is there really for me to agree with? The SOCON says that tourney champs are the SOCON champion. Please stop dude.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=205391415

The Mocs put eight wrestlers in the finals and had four take home titles on their way to the 26th tournament championship in school history.

UTC all but had the team title wrapped up after the semifinals, with eight individuals advancing and one more in the consolation finals. The Mocs finished with 102 points, almost 30 clear of the field.

klak
April 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I think there have been like 10 Georgia Southern replies in this 19 page thread.

Now back to your regularly scheduled insanity.

cbarrier90
April 25th, 2012, 02:27 PM
You came to Chattanooga for the Southern Conference championship and got your *** whipped. Period, end of story. You had a nice run at the NCAAs but in no way have you surpassed Chattanooga as the dominant wrestling team in the conference. What's is going to happen next year when your SENIOR all-americans are gone?

If you can't talk football, talk basketball.

If you can't talk basketball, talk baseball.

If all else fails, talk some wrestling.

asumike83
April 25th, 2012, 02:28 PM

You can add one more to your "most athletic championships in Southern Conference history"! xlolx

Silenoz
April 25th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Are we seriously talking about wrestling? Is that an NCAA sport?

asumike83
April 25th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Are we seriously talking about wrestling? Is that an NCAA sport?

When you haven't made a playoff appearance in 20 years, went 11-21 in basketball and do not field a baseball team, it is the best NCAA sport there is!

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 02:31 PM
If you can't talk football, talk basketball.

If you can't talk basketball, talk baseball.

If all else fails, talk some wrestling.

Let's talk about the 5 team titles you guys win in running every year. I guess that makes you the best overall athletic program in the SOCON.

Silenoz
April 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
When you haven't made a playoff appearance in 20 years, went 11-21 in basketball and do not field a baseball team, it is the best NCAA sport there is!
xeekx

Chattanooga has made the playoffs?

asumike83
April 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Let's talk about the 5 team titles you guys win in running every year. I guess that makes you the best overall athletic program in the SOCON.

Nope. The 31 Commissioner's Cups in 34 years does that.

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Chattanooga is in postion to completely dominant this conference athletically. App State will always have 5 or 6 team titles a year do to running. Chattanooga is has/will dominate the conference in softball, women's basketball, Men's and women's golf, wrestling and will be right there in football.

chattownmocs
April 25th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Nope. The 31 Commissioner's Cups in 34 years does that.

Which come from what. Outdoor/indoor/cross country/backwards/sideways/ men's and women's running titles. Let throw a parade for A Gobernor's cup. Guess how you are winning these cups, running dip?

Eaglesrus
April 25th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Oh good! xrolleyesx

I think there have been like 10 Georgia Southern replies in this 19 page thread.

Now back to your regularly scheduled insanity.

Seems that Cmitty's comment over 180 posts ago was somewhat less than prophetic.

chattownmocs
Chattanooga basketball is the best is SOCON history and if they ever git their act together it will be them Charleston and Davidson as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
Chattanooga is in postion to completely dominant this conference athletically. App State will always have 5 or 6 team titles a year do to running. Chattanooga is has/will dominate the conference in softball, women's basketball, Men's and women's golf, wrestling and will be right there in football.

Whew, how academically rigorous is Chatty?

Silenoz
April 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Nice, we successfully re-hijacked this thread away from NDSU, and straight to Chatty

asumike83
April 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Which come from what. Outdoor/indoor/cross country/backwards/sideways/ men's and women's running titles. Let throw a parade for A Gobernor's cup. Guess how you are winning these cups, running dip?

Running titles? Don't forget about football, although I can't blame you for wanting to.

Enjoy your scantily clad men rolling around on the floor titles though.

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I can't stop laughing at this thread.....This turned great.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 02:47 PM
http://files.myopera.com/minigamer1896/albums/576508/thumbs/I%20love%20this%20thread%20SO%20MUCH.jpg_thumb.jpg

Professor Chaos
April 25th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Wrestlin! Captain Insano shows no mercy.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/T8RNUTS/Miscellaneous%20Images/insano.jpg

klak
April 25th, 2012, 02:54 PM
This thread is now a spiderman thread.

http://nextlol.com/images/2448-spidermans-in-control-now.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 02:57 PM
How many SoCon wrestling titles would Spider Man have won?

klak
April 25th, 2012, 03:01 PM
How many SoCon wrestling titles would Spider Man have won?

Probably all of them. He's ****ing spiderman.

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Wrestlin! Captain Insano shows no mercy.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/T8RNUTS/Miscellaneous%20Images/insano.jpg

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxlolx

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM

Georgia State unless improve greatly will be the next Western Kentucky. Georgia State lost to a NAIA team and a DII team last season and you are talking about playing in a bowl game?? Did I miss something? They aren't bowl eligible until 2014 so hopefully they can go from a 3-8 last season to a more winnable season. All I can say is good luck in the Sun Belt.

Bogus Megapardus
April 25th, 2012, 03:53 PM
This thread is now a spiderman thread.

Good call. We turned the CAA/A-10 thread into an Archer thread.

dgtw
April 25th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I never knew running was an official sport.

I had a comment to make about Georgia Southern's move to the FBS. But I seem to have accidentally clicked on the thread devoted to UTC's wrestling team. Can someone link me to the correct thread, please?

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I never knew running was an official sport.

I had a comment to make about Georgia Southern's move to the FBS. But I seem to have accidentally clicked on the thread devoted to UTC's wrestling team. Can someone link me to the correct thread, please?

Here let me boil it down for you. Georgia Southern is like that girl who used to be really hot but just kind of lost it and nobody is listening anymore when she says "Yeah, I'm hot". So now she's like, totally over you guys and moving on.

That's pretty much it.

blueballs
April 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Here let me boil it down for you. Georgia Southern is like that girl who used to be really hot but just kind of lost it and nobody is listening anymore when she says "Yeah, I'm hot". So now she's like, totally over you guys and moving on.

That's pretty much it.

ROTFLMFAO

cbarrier90
April 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Chattown's all xflamemadx

App's all xlolx @ Chattown

GSU's all xconfusedx

NDSU's all xhighfivex

Altogether it looks like xslapfightx

Tuscon
April 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Georgia State unless improve greatly will be the next Western Kentucky. Georgia State lost to a NAIA team and a DII team last season and you are talking about playing in a bowl game?? Did I miss something? They aren't bowl eligible until 2014 so hopefully they can go from a 3-8 last season to a more winnable season. All I can say is good luck in the Sun Belt.

I've already said in multiple places I don't think Georgia State is going bowling any time soon. I'm ok with that. We'll take out lumps at first and grow our program and hopefully go to bowls eventually. Because even though I don't know where all the bowls are, I know they are on ESPN and not ESPN2 or ESPN3(Like the FCS Playoffs).

LakesBison
April 25th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Tuscon im jealous dude and so are big time ndsu fans. The d2 fans barely had the balls to jump to fcs!!

NoDak 4 Ever
April 25th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Tuscon im jealous dude and so are big time ndsu fans. The d2 fans barely had the balls to jump to fcs!!

Maybe you should join the Georgia State circle jerk and leave the rest of us alone.

BisonFan02
April 25th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Maybe you should join the Georgia State circle jerk and leave the rest of us alone.

With Lakes and Georgia State it would be more like a "dutch rudder"....just sayin'

bullitt_60
April 25th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Well... Yeah. That's pretty obvious that this plan is intended to raise money for the athletics program and facilities, especially since it was stated in the article. What is wrong with that? It's aspirational and I like that. That's very American.

I do not like Keel's comments regarding FCS. This plan is to be implemented over nearly a decade and it is important to keep the program competiting at the level it is. I quite enjoy FCS football as well (that's why I'm here).

MplsBison
April 25th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Does anyone here want to take a crack at articulating the angst against lower-tier FBS teams and lower-tier FBS bowls?

We all know such teams and bowls are looked upon poorly by most college football fans and media. But on this board and this thread in particular, there seems to be a palpable anger against these schools and bowls. The mere perception that a school moving up to FBS is a good thing and makes them a better program really stokes some people's fire.

Why?

If not jealously, then what? Where is the emotion coming from? Are you pissed that these schools think they're better when the product on the field often doesn't support such a claim? Are you pissed that the bowls get more attention from the national CFB media than the FCS playoffs and championship game?

Please, someone.

darell1976
April 25th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I've already said in multiple places I don't think Georgia State is going bowling any time soon. I'm ok with that. We'll take out lumps at first and grow our program and hopefully go to bowls eventually. Because even though I don't know where all the bowls are, I know they are on ESPN and not ESPN2 or ESPN3(Like the FCS Playoffs).

Well I wish you all the luck in the FBS...except against my Cornhuskers!!:D

asumike83
April 25th, 2012, 07:04 PM

We all know such teams and bowls are looked upon poorly by most college football fans and media. But on this board and this thread in particular, there seems to be a palpable anger against these schools and bowls. The mere perception that a school moving up to FBS is a good thing and makes them a better program really stokes some people's fire.

Why?

Please, someone.

I can't speak for anyone else but I have no anger toward the lower-tier FBS schools or conferences. I want App to go FBS. My reasons include being able to work out a better OOC home schedule for the fans, get a bit more exposure and open the door to giving our program a higher ceiling.

I think that what rubs a lot of people the wrong way is when fans think that going FBS is going make their program front page news on ESPN. It seems like 10 minutes after an FBS invite, you get a lot of "know your place" and "stupid FCS fans" type of comments coming in.

It is not specific to any one program and it is not all of the fans but that is bothersome. I am a "pro-FBS" App fan and have no problem with any program that gets there before us. It is the unrealistic expectations/perception of their program and air of superiority from some fans that is obnoxious. If a program is transitioning to FBS for the right reasons, more power to them.

Tuscon
April 25th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Well... Yeah. That's pretty obvious that this plan is intended to raise money for the athletics program and facilities, especially since it was stated in the article. What is wrong with that? It's aspirational and I like that. That's very American.

I do not like Keel's comments regarding FCS. This plan is to be implemented over nearly a decade and it is important to keep the program competiting at the level it is. I quite enjoy FCS football as well (that's why I'm here).

I was actually quite curious as to more GS fans opinions regarding Keel's comments. They were very anti what I'm used to hearing around here.

Tuscon
April 25th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I can't speak for anyone else but I have no anger toward the lower-tier FBS schools or conferences. I want App to go FBS. My reasons include being able to work out a better OOC home schedule for the fans, get a bit more exposure and open the door to giving our program a higher ceiling.

I think that what rubs a lot of people the wrong way is when fans think that going FBS is going make their program front page news on ESPN. It seems like 10 minutes after an FBS invite, you get a lot of "know your place" and "stupid FCS fans" type of comments coming in.

It is not specific to any one program and it is not all of the fans but that is bothersome. I am a "pro-FBS" App fan and have no problem with any program that gets there before us. It is the unrealistic expectations/perception of their program and air of superiority from some fans that is obnoxious. If a program is transitioning to FBS for the right reasons, more power to them.

For the record:

http://www.panthertalk.com/community/attachments/4-20-2012-2-39-23-pm-png.27/

womp womp

TheRevSFA
April 25th, 2012, 08:20 PM

Exactly. I know SFA won't move up due to lackof funding plus FBS oversaturation in TX, in fact, Texas State and UTSA helped our the nail in the coffin.

If you want to move up, or are moving up, then good for you, however realize that unless you upset someone or pull a Noise State, you aren't going to get the media recognition some posters seem to think you get automatically.

asumike83
April 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM
For the record:

http://www.panthertalk.com/community/attachments/4-20-2012-2-39-23-pm-png.27/

womp womp

Picture did not come through but I assume it is an ESPN story from either when y'all started the program or got the SBC invite.

Those moments will certainly get media coverage but still, I think you know what I mean. There are folks out there that think an FBS invite means they will be competing with Alabama and LSU for media coverage during football season.

eaglewraith
April 25th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Picture did not come through but I assume it is an ESPN story from either when y'all started the program or got the SBC invite.

Those moments will certainly get media coverage but still, I think you know what I mean. There are folks out there that think an FBS invite means they will be competing with Alabama and LSU for media coverage during football season.

Actually it's from the main page where they kicked that kid off the team last week for being a dumbass, as well as suspending the other dumbasses with him.

The article on their Sun Belt invite didn't make the main page.

Apphole
April 25th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Actually it's from the main page where they kicked that kid off the team last week for being a dumbass, as well as suspending the other dumbasses with him.

Gosh the media is always so negative. Especially with BCS juggernauts like Georgia State.

Tuscon
April 25th, 2012, 11:01 PM

Gosh the media is always so negative. Especially with BCS juggernauts like Georgia State.

Yup. Bo getting canned was the artlicle on the main page. The article(that exists) about us moving up to the Sun Belt didn't even make the NCAA FB page. I posted that more as a joke than anything. Lighten up, ya'll.

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Exactly. I know SFA won't move up due to lackof funding plus FBS oversaturation in TX, in fact, Texas State and UTSA helped our the nail in the coffin.

If you want to move up, or are moving up, then good for you, however realize that unless you upset someone or pull a Noise State, you aren't going to get the media recognition some posters seem to think you get automatically.

So why are you so angry in this thread?

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Since blueballs didn't answer my question in post #28, let me post it generally to the thread and see if anyone will rise up to the challenge of articulating their feelings.

If the NCAA somehow had the power to end all bowl games and instead host a 16 team tournament in FBS (similar to the old FCS tournament), would that make all the difference in the world? Would you then approve of the FBS sub-division and consider any FCS team moving up to it to be making a legitimate decision?

asumike83
April 26th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Since blueballs didn't answer my question in post #28, let me post it generally to the thread and see if anyone will rise up to the challenge of articulating their feelings.

If the NCAA somehow had the power to end all bowl games and instead host a 16 team tournament in FBS (similar to the old FCS tournament), would that make all the difference in the world? Would you then approve of the FBS sub-division and consider any FCS team moving up to it to be making a legitimate decision?

I don't have a problem with schools doing it now but yes, that would absolutely make it much better. If it was done like the NCAA basketball tournament and being the champion of the MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA would get you an auto-bid to play for a NC and a piece of the tournament revenue, that would make moving up a no-brainer for FCS schools that can afford it.

CropDuster
April 26th, 2012, 09:47 AM

That seems to be the only concern on gsufans from people who are against the move. I think money may be another issue due to travel and such, but the increase in revenue should help offset increases in cost.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Short answer - I don't care who goes up or down in whatever division there is. I'm just objecting to this phony notion that FBS gains you more notoriety because unless you are in the BCS, that simply isn't true. As I have said, I live smack dab in the middle of MAC country and nobody gives two ****s about any of those teams outside their fan base. It is all regional.

As for the bowl system...once again, outside of the BCS, these bowls are just flat made up. All you need is a stadium and a sponsor and you can make a bowl game. Get a lame *** team with 6 wins and a rabid fan base that is close by and voila! ESPN!

Go, have fun. If NDSU were to even think about this, I would be super pissed. That is all. I am currently apathetic but having a total blast with this thread.

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 09:51 AM

I would if the NCAA had a BCS playoff and then a playoff for the rest of the FBS conferences, then moving up will seem legit. Look at Boise State the bowl system screwed them out of how many National Title games?? Its not fair and its wrong, they reward only certain teams and punish the rest for good work. So why not have a BCS division, then a FBS divsion, FCS, DII, DIII. Or else have a March Madness of football. Lets just have DI football (no FBS, FCS) then all the conference winners, a few bubble teams and watch the games like in March. If Eastern Michigan goes perfect will they have a shot a national title...no. If Minnesota goes perfect do they get a shot at a national title....maybe but because they are not Alabama, or LSU then its not certain. The FBS Bowl system is broke, there are too many bowls people haven't heard of unless you are a fan of that team you most likely will not watch it. Just having a 16 team playoff for 100+ teams, you will have what all the conference winners (11) and 5 major teams. That will not fly.

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah but consider the fact that there are more than 30 bowls. That's over 60 teams that get a post-season game. Whereas a 16 playoff (which seems impossible to even consider) would be almost a 4th of that.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a dream come true if there were a 16 team playoff with quarter finals, semi finals and the championship rotated around among the top 7 bowls. But for whatever reason, everyone who actually makes the decisions considers this to be death to a way of life. In other words, they're not going to be the ones who kill something good. They don't want that on their legacy. And neither does the next guy...and the next guy....

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Short answer - I don't care who goes up or down in whatever division there is. I'm just objecting to this phony notion that FBS gains you more notoriety because unless you are in the BCS, that simply isn't true. As I have said, I live smack dab in the middle of MAC country and nobody gives two ****s about any of those teams outside their fan base. It is all regional.

As for the bowl system...once again, outside of the BCS, these bowls are just flat made up. All you need is a stadium and a sponsor and you can make a bowl game. Get a lame *** team with 6 wins and a rabid fan base that is close by and voila! ESPN!

Go, have fun. If NDSU were to even think about this, I would be super pissed. That is all. I am currently apathetic but having a total blast with this thread.

You're not wrong, I believe you.

But answer me this: is ESPN stupid? Do they hire stupid people who make stupid programming decisions?

Why would ESPN invest money into the production of every bowl game, placing it on their networks - if it was such a stupid decision and no one will watch it?

Why does every national college football website and newspaper have a section dedicated to bowl games, reviewing the matchup of every game, predicting the winner of every game, etc.? Are they all stupid? No on will read it?

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 09:57 AM
You're not wrong, I believe you.

But answer me this: is ESPN stupid? Do they hire stupid people who make stupid programming decisions?

Why would ESPN invest money into the production of every bowl game, placing it on their networks - if it was such a stupid decision and no one will watch it?

NoDak 4 Ever is correct. The bowls outside the BCS is like the NIT its not a big deal unless you are a fan of that team, and its worse if you are a 6-6 team playing a 7-5 team in a bowl that was just created like the Potato Bowl. ESPN knows people of those fan bases which are in major cities will watch. If NDSU was in a bowl they know all of ND would most likely watch the game. Plus advertisers pay big money to ESPN for their 30 second spots.

LakesBison
April 26th, 2012, 09:58 AM
nodak 4 ever is like PussyLips bison56 , they enjoy being small time and think NDSU in the fcs is the coolest thing since their old asses got indoor fridge's. NDSU already has dominated this fcs thing and its time to step up!!

Minnesota football is about as down as you can be, NDSU in the FBS at MWC, MAC, WAC would instantly become the Boise State of the Midwest, and popularity wise could rival the Minnesota gophers team and fanbase easily. Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Wyoming already view NDSU as a great program, so lets step it up!

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 10:02 AM
nodak 4 ever is like PussyLips bison56 , they enjoy being small time and think NDSU in the fcs is the coolest thing since their old asses got indoor fridge's. NDSU already has dominated this fcs thing and its time to step up!!

Minnesota football is about as down as you can be, NDSU in the FBS at MWC, MAC, WAC would instantly become the Boise State of the Midwest, and popularity wise could rival the Minnesota gophers team and fanbase easily. Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Wyoming already view NDSU as a great program, so lets step it up!

http://thestrongmove.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/thumb-dumbass.jpg

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 10:03 AM

NDSU won one national title...if that is considered domination why did NDSU wait until 2004 to move up to the FCS and not move up in the 1980's when they won lots of national titles? If all it takes is one to dominate a Division.

LakesBison
April 26th, 2012, 10:03 AM
truth hurts, people don't want to hear the truth-----"randy moss"

nodak. 6 FBS wins, 2 10-1 seasons and ranked #1, 2010 playoff run (without the ref call, NDSU wins that title) 2011 Natl Champ 2012-2013 More titles, at least final 4.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM

nodak. 6 FBS wins, 2 10-1 seasons and ranked #1, 2010 playoff run (without the ref call, NDSU wins that title) 2011 Natl Champ 2012-2013 More titles, at least final 4.

I'm unsure as to what is supposed to "hurt". I think NDSU is in the perfect position right now, well funded and good momentum. Quite frankly the worst part of being an NDSU fan is being associated with dumb****s like you.

asumike83
April 26th, 2012, 10:16 AM

Please explain. You have been #1 in the final poll one time, which was this year. Are you just talking about being ranked there at some point?

darell1976
April 26th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Please explain. You have been #1 in the final poll one time, which was this year. Are you just talking about being ranked there at some point?

It was during the year.

Silenoz
April 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Montana, #1 in 2010!

BisonBacker
April 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Look I get it.

Please get to that point and beyond. Then you can stop raking the FCS over the coals and insulting every other fan who enjoys FCS ball. As to the comment you made after my last post. Please stop putting words in my mouth and read my comments. I did say if Montana and and schools like them that ARE PEER institutions to NDSU moved up than NDSU should also. But to say we need to move up now is ludicrous. Things need to change to force that move and at this point in time they haven't.

BisonBacker
April 26th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Which is really funny because you two seem to agree.

+++++++++++++ rep points coming to you!!!!!!!!

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Please get to that point and beyond. Then you can stop raking the FCS over the coals and insulting every other fan who enjoys FCS ball. As to the comment you made after my last post. Please stop putting words in my mouth and read my comments. I did say if Montana and and schools like them that ARE PEER institutions to NDSU moved up than NDSU should also. But to say we need to move up now is ludicrous. Things need to change to force that move and at this point in time they haven't.

Please respond to posts #216 and #227, if you're up to the challenge. You may care to read the other responses to them as well, before you respond.

I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say on those questions.

BisonBacker
April 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
With Lakes and Georgia State it would be more like a "dutch rudder"....just sayin'
That got coffee on my desk and keyboard xlolxxlolx

MplsBison
April 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM

By the way, I have not raked FCS over the coals. The fact that you interpret my posts that way in your head is telling.

I've simply described FCS accurately for what it is, a sub-division that has a lot of talented players on the field that most people don't care to see play on TV.

gotts
April 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Whoa, this thing got really off-track.

I just want to know when we can challenge Chattanooga to a ladder match for the NCAA Tag Team titles....

BisonBacker
April 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Please respond to posts #216 and #227, if you're up to the challenge. You may care to read the other responses to them as well, before you respond.

I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say on those questions.

I live in reality I don't respond to stupidity. Oh wait I am right now CRAP xeyebrowx

BisonBacker
April 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM
By the way, I have not raked FCS over the coals. The fact that you interpret my posts that way in your head is telling.

I've simply described FBS TOILET BOWL GAMES accurately for what it is, a sub-division that has a lot of talented players on the field that most people don't care to see play on TV.

There I fixed it for you.