PDA

View Full Version : VCU, George Mason leaving the CAA? Continued...

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
Didn't see anything about this posted yet, so I'm putting it here.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18045227/vcu-george-mason-butler-in-discussions-to-join-atlantic-10

So will the CAA find schools to replace them?

danefan
April 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Well Albany, Stony Brook and Coastal Carolina would be locks if asked.

superman7515
April 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM
They haven't left. That article is about a month old and the schools came out saying the report was false. Other than Georgia State leaving, there hasn't been anything more on it sense they came out saying it was incorrect. There's a discussion on here somewhere about a twitter report, but that was refuted as well.

Sader87
April 21st, 2012, 08:24 PM
The football league of the CAA is about as stable as Yugoslavia was in 1991 right now....

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 21st, 2012, 08:47 PM
They haven't left. That article is about a month old and the schools came out saying the report was false. Other than Georgia State leaving, there hasn't been anything more on it sense they came out saying it was incorrect. There's a discussion on here somewhere about a twitter report, but that was refuted as well.

Here's a more recent report.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/04/20/report-george-mason-vcu-to-join-atlantic-10-on-may-1-2012/

[EDIT] Never mind, I guess they cited that Twitter report.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 21st, 2012, 09:06 PM
Much ado about nothing... Mods?

Tuscon
April 21st, 2012, 09:12 PM
These are the types of rumors that start popping up when it's a lock. Or at least 99.9% near it. All of these realignment situations have the schools and conferences quiet until the day of. Hell, Georgia State didn't announce a press conference until Sunday before the Monday of the announcement. The same thing happened with Texas A&M, Missouri, Marshall, etc, etc. You all even said Georgia State shouldn't count their chickens prior to the announcement. This seems like a done deal behind closed doors.

AppMan
April 21st, 2012, 09:29 PM
As much as I'd like to see ASU in the CAA if this happens it'll never happen. The Mountaineers have the support of a couple of schools, but the majority wants nothing to do with ASU's football program in the league.

HailSzczur
April 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM
The football league of the CAA is about as stable as Yugoslavia was in 1991 right now....

I think the same can be said for most of the college sports landscape right now

NHwildEcat
April 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
As much as I'd like to see ASU in the CAA if this happens it'll never happen. The Mountaineers have the support of a couple of schools, but the majority wants nothing to do with ASU's football program in the league.

I hate that mindset personally. I think the goal of the CAA is to have all the best programs it can within its relative foot print. I think App would be awesome. I would be able to see UNH down there or catch App when they come up here. It is good all around. The following App has could help attendance and show a whole new group of fans how beautiful NH is. Just don't look at our stadium.

MR. CHICKEN
April 22nd, 2012, 08:04 AM

16495.....AH DON'T THINK...MAINE...WOOD MIND.....xrolleyesx...AWK!

UNH Fanboi
April 22nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
These are the types of rumors that start popping up when it's a lock. Or at least 99.9% near it. All of these realignment situations have the schools and conferences quiet until the day of. Hell, Georgia State didn't announce a press conference until Sunday before the Monday of the announcement. The same thing happened with Texas A&M, Missouri, Marshall, etc, etc. You all even said Georgia State shouldn't count their chickens prior to the announcement. This seems like a done deal behind closed doors.

Not always. There was a long thread last year of ASU fans bragging about Conference USA being a "done deal".

unknown3
April 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
Not always. There was a long thread last year of ASU fans bragging about Conference USA being a "done deal".

Difference was there were no rumors to back that up other than App State folks. Personally I believe this is why the vote got cancelled. They know at the least they want to leave, whether they do or not is another story.

Go...gate
April 23rd, 2012, 02:32 AM

The PL actually looks pretty stable, though the Georgetown situation is not good, IMO.

phoenix3
April 23rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
16495.....AH DON'T THINK...MAINE...WOOD MIND.....xrolleyesx...AWK!

Too funny...

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
Difference was there were no rumors to back that up...

xlolx

When you're looking for rumors to back things up, brother... xlolx xlolx xlolx

Tuscon
April 23rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
xlolx

When you're looking for rumors to back things up, brother... xlolx xlolx xlolx

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 23rd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Much ado about nothing... Mods?

Yes?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2012, 12:15 PM
Yes?

At best, this topic is incredibly misleading. I think a topic change, or topic merge, is in order.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 12:21 PM
What football teams are solidly in the CAA for football?

UNH- Maine

Delaware - Villanova
Towson - JMU
ODU - W&M

Say VCU/GMU leave and then NE and Hofstra move to northern leagues. You still have 8 football and 8 bball with Drexel and Wilmington.

Seems like a decent conference still, without adding anyone else.

Tuscon
April 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
What football teams are solidly in the CAA for football?

UNH- Maine

Delaware - Villanova
Towson - JMU
ODU - W&M

Say VCU/GMU leave and then NE and Hofstra move to northern leagues. You still have 8 football and 8 bball with Drexel and Wilmington.

Seems like a decent conference still, without adding anyone else.

You're forgetting Villanova already salivating at Big East(not sure the likelihood) and all of the talk of JMU wanting to move up along with ODU who seems content where they are, but seem to be on everybody's mind in all this realignment business. I don't think the CAA wants to sit at 8 with all of the unknowns still present.

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
I think Villanova missed their chance at FBS - even if it was a matter that they wanted to but there was no logistical, reasonable way to pull it off.

I did however forget that Villanova is in the Big East for bball, so the CAA would in fact be down to seven if VCU/GMU move to the A10 and Hofstra and NE move elsewhere. Probably have to add a non-football school to bridge the gap to Wilmington. UNC Greensboro?

TheBisonator
April 23rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
The CAA is in a fortunate position compared to the Summit League right now. In fact, the most unstable conference that you can think of is more safe than the Summit League is right now. Butler is leaving for the A-10, and if the Horizon raids the eastern 3 Summit schools, you might as well shovel the dirt over the Summit's closed, submerged casket. Because our only option is DII transitional schools, and no DII school in the Midwest has any serious plans to move to DI.

(Unless of course Eastern Illinois all of a sudden decides that the Summit would be an awesome conference to be in, or if UND gets s**t-canned by the Big Sky and the Summit throws them a life preserver)

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 02:15 PM
I'd love to add Eastern, but they'll only come if a spot in the MVFC is guaranteed.

You can't tell me Eastern Illinois enjoys being in a conf with schools from Kentucky, Tenn and Alabama. Culture clash.

Tuscon
April 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
I think Villanova missed their chance at FBS - even if it was a matter that they wanted to but there was no logistical, reasonable way to pull it off.

I did however forget that Villanova is in the Big East for bball, so the CAA would in fact be down to seven if VCU/GMU move to the A10 and Hofstra and NE move elsewhere. Probably have to add a non-football school to bridge the gap to Wilmington. UNC Greensboro?

Rumors of SDSU maybe staying with MWC. That means Big East would have to find more. Villanova is already sitting there wanting it.

HailSzczur
April 23rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
Rumors of SDSU maybe staying with MWC. That means Big East would have to find more. Villanova is already sitting there wanting it.

There's a big difference between wanting in and being able to get in. It's just not feasible. Sure one of the major opponents to us playing at PPL, Pitt, is gone, but the BE has already said we can't play there. Unless we could share the Linc with Temple and the Eagles somehow, we have no where to play. Any far fetched hopes of a stadium are looking less and less likely as we commit more money to projects around the school. Were in a 3 year, $30mil major landscape transformation in the heart of campus, and are finalizing plans to build senior housing, storefront along Rt 30, a performing arts center, and a parking garage. There's no way we are shelling out the dough for a stadium

Lehigh Football Nation
April 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Let me try. I heard through "unnamed sources" that Penn State, Delaware, Lehigh, Colgate, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Central Florida and East Carolina are going to form an Eastern FBS conference.

Villanova, Georgetown and Lafayette are pissed that they've being left out. They're banding together with VCU, Duquesne, Boston University and Drexel to form their own Eastern-based conference, hoping to attract Temple, Navy, and Appalachian State. Meanwhile, Liberty and JMU mull things over - join this mega-conference or is the Big Ten beckoning?

It makes about as much sense as anything else there right now.

HailSzczur
April 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Let me try. I heard through "unnamed sources" that Penn State, Delaware, Lehigh, Colgate, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Central Florida and East Carolina are going to form an Eastern FBS conference.

Villanova, Georgetown and Lafayette are pissed that they've being left out. They're banding together with VCU, Duquesne, Boston University and Drexel to form their own Eastern-based conference, hoping to attract Temple, Navy, and Appalachian State. Meanwhile, Liberty and JMU mull things over - join this mega-conference or is the Big Ten beckoning?

Solid projection, but you forgot to add schools resurrecting programs and the threat of schools dropping programs if they get left out. NDSU has to be in the discussion somehow too though or its not suitable for AGS

UAalum72
April 23rd, 2012, 03:26 PM

So Holy Cross will be left out of this 'new Big East football' too?

Ken_Z
April 23rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
So Holy Cross will be left out of this 'new Big East football' too?

yes, they will be invited, but will decline as they fear it will compromise the likelihood of their ultimate goal of joining the NESCAC

Go...gate
April 23rd, 2012, 09:46 PM
yes, they will be invited, but will decline as they fear it will compromise the likelihood of their ultimate goal of joining the NESCAC

Indeed.....

spdram
April 24th, 2012, 05:31 AM
You guys muct have forgotten that Richmond (football only) and Towson are also in the CAA. I'm told the discussions concerning VCU and GMU to the A-10 are still ongoing. I wonder if VCU's AD leaving will change things any - I assume not.

Tribe4SF
April 24th, 2012, 07:12 AM
You guys muct have forgotten that Richmond (football only) and Towson are also in the CAA. I'm told the discussions concerning VCU and GMU to the A-10 are still ongoing. I wonder if VCU's AD leaving will change things any - I assume not.

If VCU is serious about a move, the president will hire an AD who is capable of advancing their agenda. If talks are already serious, the president is the one driving the boat anyway.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Doh! Yes of course you're correct, Richmond is in the CAA for football as well.

So if VCU/GMU, Hofstra & NE all eventually leave the league they would have 9 football schools and 7 bball schools. I wonder if Richmond would be willing to switch over to CAA bball and scoop up some of the money that VCU/GMU would be leaving behind?

bostonspider
April 24th, 2012, 09:12 AM
No way. As UR would themselves be leaving a good deal of money behind in the A10.

TheDancinMonarch
April 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I wonder if Richmond would be willing to switch over to CAA bball and scoop up some of the money that VCU/GMU would be leaving behind?

We won't need help from UR. The fewer of us who stay CAA, the larger our shares of GMU/VCU money will be.

I do feel sorry for GMU with the move to the A-10(14)(16). With Paul Hewitt as coach they will drop to the bottom almost immediately and stay there 'till he's gone.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM
We won't need help from UR. The fewer of us who stay CAA, the larger our shares of GMU/VCU money will be.

I do feel sorry for GMU with the move to the A-10(14)(16). With Paul Hewitt as coach they will drop to the bottom almost immediately and stay there 'till he's gone.

But is 7 safe? How about Norfolk St and Hampton? xnodx

superman7515
April 24th, 2012, 11:30 AM
The non-Virginia schools are pretty tired of the appearance of a Virginia bias in the league. I'd imagine that if they did leave, the first choice would come from outside Virigina.

whitey
April 24th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Absolute zero chance a Virginia school is chosen to replace VCU and GMU. Not gonna happen. Liberty, Norfolk State, Hampton, VMI, Radford not a chance. Stony Brook is likely for all sports. If they want to add another all sports replacement they could target App State or Coastal Carolina. If they want to look for non football I would think College of Charleston would be top of the list.

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I realize conference affiliations are not based purely on logistics, but if Stony Brook is going to be added for all sports then there's no reason for Hofstra to leave simply from geography.

Northeastern on the other hand, seems like America East would be great for travel.

danefan
April 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I realize conference affiliations are not based purely on logistics, but if Stony Brook is going to be added for all sports then there's no reason for Hofstra to leave simply from geography.

Northeastern on the other hand, seems like America East would be great for travel.

Too bad Northeastern and the AEast hate each other.

How about the CAA non-football schools move to the AEast and the AEast football schools move to the CAA?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Stony Brook will be in the CAA over Stuart Rabinowitz' dead body.

danefan
April 24th, 2012, 12:28 PM

Is he going to die in June?

MplsBison
April 24th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Assuming that's a Hofstra guy - maybe Hofstra will leave afterall?