PDA

View Full Version : Interesting potential league shift

TheDude
June 15th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Rumor from a close newspaper pal with contacts in a few athletic departments around the region:

A potential Big South with eight football members could be not too far away

ETSU and Campbell being the final pieces to the puzzle...and both are possibles.

Those additions would bring the BSC to an even 12 members for all sports. 8 for football with;

Campbell
Coastal
Charleston South
ETSU
Gardner Webb
Liberty
Presbyterian
VMI

Intriguing

GaSouthern
June 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Sounds about right to me!

OL FU
June 15th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Sounds about right to me!

And me. :nod:

Pard4Life
June 15th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Rumor from a close newspaper pal with contacts in a few athletic departments around the region:

A potential Big South with eight football members could be not too far away

ETSU and Campbell being the final pieces to the puzzle...and both are possibles.

Those additions would bring the BSC to an even 12 members for all sports. 8 for football with;

Campbell
Coastal
Charleston South
ETSU
Gardner Webb
Liberty
Presbyterian
VMI

Intriguing

They have been mentioned as a potential Patriot League expansion target... not necesarily as a long shot, but not necesarily a sure thing either. This move does make senes for VMI geographically, but VMI in the PL means they play Army and Navy, something they could want... and a higher profile bball conference.

colgate13
June 15th, 2006, 10:35 AM
They have been mentioned as a potential Patriot League expansion target... not necesarily as a long shot, but not necesarily a sure thing either. This move does make senes for VMI geographically, but VMI in the PL means they play Army and Navy, something they could want... and a higher profile bball conference.
P4L - nothing like this is possible until we allow football scholarships. We can speculate until the cows come home, but no team is giving up their scholarships to join the Patriot. Moves like this are what make the issue pressing. Conference shifts are on the horizon. We need to be in play.

Thumper250
June 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Not a bad little league actually with those 8 playing FB.

89Hen
June 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Not a bad little league actually with those 8 playing FB.
Really? Coastal is the class of the conference right now and Presby could be #2 given time. The rest aren't really anything to hang a hat on.

BTW... ETSU football? Have I completely missed something?

Bub
June 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Isn't Campbell the team that is starting football with hopes of joining the PFL?

A bit of a stretch to see them as a schollie team in the Big South.

HensRock
June 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM
My first thought exactly, Bub. From what I've heard, Campbell is non-schollie and plans to stay that way, setting their sights on the Pioneer League.

chattanoogamocs
June 15th, 2006, 12:05 PM
BTW... ETSU football? Have I completely missed something?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10674

:)

Cocky
June 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
What happens to the A-Sun?

89Hen
June 15th, 2006, 12:37 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10674

:)
I guess the answer is yes.