PDA

View Full Version : Georgia State: Thug U???

Baldy
April 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Georgia St. dismisses Bo Schlecter (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7836749/georgia-state-panthers-dismiss-one-suspend-two-roles-fight)

"Georgia State dismissed quarterback Bo Schlecter and indefinitely suspended kicker Christian Benvenuto and linebacker Dexter Moody for their roles in a bar fight in Atlanta early Thursday morning, a school official told ESPN.com on Friday.

Georgia State athletics department spokesperson Allison George said Panthers coach Bill Curry will have no further comment about the incident.

WSB-TV in Atlanta reported Thursday night that Schlecter was arrested after he was involved in a fight outside of Moondogs bar in the Buckhead section of Atlanta.

Chris Hannaford, 23, vice president of Tuff TV, told ESPN.com he was leaving Moondogs with a friend at about 2 a.m. ET Thursday. As they crossed the street to get to their car, Hannaford said he was approached by Schlecter and another man. Two other large men then joined them.

"Two guys came up from behind us and started poking us and trying to provoke a fight," Hannaford said. "It was totally unprovoked. I'd never seen these guys before this whole incident. I'd never seen them ever."

Watch ya back Montana. xlolx

WMTribe90
April 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Georgia St. dismisses Bo Schlecter (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7836749/georgia-state-panthers-dismiss-one-suspend-two-roles-fight)

"Georgia State dismissed quarterback Bo Schlecter and indefinitely suspended kicker Christian Benvenuto and linebacker Dexter Moody for their roles in a bar fight in Atlanta early Thursday morning, a school official told ESPN.com on Friday.

Georgia State athletics department spokesperson Allison George said Panthers coach Bill Curry will have no further comment about the incident.

WSB-TV in Atlanta reported Thursday night that Schlecter was arrested after he was involved in a fight outside of Moondogs bar in the Buckhead section of Atlanta.

Chris Hannaford, 23, vice president of Tuff TV, told ESPN.com he was leaving Moondogs with a friend at about 2 a.m. ET Thursday. As they crossed the street to get to their car, Hannaford said he was approached by Schlecter and another man. Two other large men then joined them.

"Two guys came up from behind us and started poking us and trying to provoke a fight," Hannaford said. "It was totally unprovoked. I'd never seen these guys before this whole incident. I'd never seen them ever."

Interesting that they kicked the 3rd string QB off the team and indefinetely suspended the leading tackler and starting placekicker.

Is this the added press coverage that big time football brings?

Mountaineer#96
April 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Not sure the thread title explains the incident, this type of stuff happens in all programs.

Tuscon
April 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Not really too sure of all the details. It must not be entirely clear on what Moody and Benvenuto's part in all this was or I'm sure they'd be gone. Moody was already on an indefinite suspension for the infamous "violating team rules." It seems like they'd be off the team if it was 100% they were involved.

PaladinFan
April 20th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Not sure, but it has to be a slow news day at ESPN to cover a bar fight for a couple of unknown players at an FCS program.

Tuscon
April 20th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Not sure, but it has to be a slow news day at ESPN to cover a bar fight for a couple of unknown players at an FCS program.

Ain't that the truth. Bo probably wasn't even going to be listed as a QB come fall.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I lost my bet with a Ga State player's Dad. I predicted Moody would be kicked off by December. Missed it by 4 1/2 months. I don't think Thug U is fair. More like Commuter U in a city filled with strangers from out-of-town. State will always have a football team full of transfers, castoffs, and not-recruited-by-anyone-else types.

The right coach might be able to help, but who would want the job?

Tuscon
April 20th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I lost my bet with a Ga State player's Dad. I predicted Moody would be kicked off by December. Missed it by 4 1/2 months. I don't think Thug U is fair. More like Commuter U in a city filled with strangers from out-of-town. State will always have a football team full of transfers, castoffs, and not-recruited-by-anyone-else types.

The right coach might be able to help, but who would want the job?

Try not to let your extreme bias show through so much. I'm not even sure what you even mean by "full of transfers, castoffs, and not-recruited-by-anyone-else types." Yes, we are known as a commuter school, but that image is changing. The administration is buying up all kinds of land getting kids on campus. Football is part of separating ourselves from that image as well. I'm not too sure what makes you think a coach wouldn't want to come here as well. Enlighten me.

Also, Moody isn't technically kicked off the team yet(I do, however, see that happening soon).

TheRevSFA
April 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM
And who says FCS doesn't get national coverage?

cmaxwellgsu
April 20th, 2012, 08:55 PM
They really are Thug U. They have literally kicked off every QB they've had, and the one thug they let come back only because he was able to have his robbery charges swept under the rug.

Eaglesrus
April 21st, 2012, 12:04 AM
Try not to let your extreme bias show through so much. I'm not even sure what you even mean by "full of transfers, castoffs, and not-recruited-by-anyone-else types." Yes, we are known as a commuter school, but that image is changing. The administration is buying up all kinds of land getting kids on campus. Football is part of separating ourselves from that image as well. I'm not too sure what makes you think a coach wouldn't want to come here as well. Enlighten me.

Also, Moody isn't technically kicked off the team yet(I do, however, see that happening soon).

Looks like you'll soon be known as "we kick guys off the team that we don't need but suspend those we might need U". "Moody isn't technically kicked off the team yet", now there's a surprise!

Tuscon
April 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Looks like you'll soon be known as "we kick guys off the team that we don't need but suspend those we might need U". "Moody isn't technically kicked off the team yet", now there's a surprise!

Way to make assumptions. We don't know Moody's involvement in all this. That's why he's not kicked off the team. My guess is they'll figure it out and he won't be here much longer.

HailSzczur
April 21st, 2012, 02:03 AM
Not sure the thread title explains the incident, this type of stuff happens in all programs.

I mean a unprovoked fight is never good, but this is not just a problem at Georgia State, or Montana, or JMU, or any other college for that matter. When you have that many kids together on a campus there are going to be at least a few problems. Every athletic department has to deal with some sort of screw ups the kids make, it just depends on the degree. I know we are not immune to it here at Nova. Last season we had a basketball player suspended the year for punching someone at a frat party, a few years before that a player missed a few games for peeing on a building when he was drunk. This stuff happens at every college, and I don't think 3 members of a team thats only been around afew years earns them the title of Thug U

The Eagle's Cliff
April 21st, 2012, 08:04 AM

Ga State is a school, a good school. However much State tries to makeover it's image and look more like a traditional college, it's still in the middle of downtown Atlanta. State is attractive for the 5 million people working and living in the Greater Metro Area for finishing and undergrad degree or getting a graduate degree, but for the student seeking a traditional school and getting away from home (most 18 year-olds), State is way down the list.

All you have to do is look at your Sister School in Birmingham to figure out the coaching situation. Watson Brown left after 12 seasons to take the Tennessee Tech job. Neil Callaway was just fired after going 18-42 in 5 seasons and his replacement is Garrick McGee, an assistant from Arkansas with no prior head coaching experience.

Part of me hopes if we don't end up in the Sunbelt, we at least get to play State regularly because we'll need a replacement for Western Carolina on our schedule and we have more fans in Atlanta than State does so "Away" games with you will feel like home.

GA St. MBB Fan
April 21st, 2012, 10:33 AM
All you have to do is look at your Sister School in Birmingham to figure out the coaching situation. Watson Brown left after 12 seasons to take the Tennessee Tech job. Neil Callaway was just fired after going 18-42 in 5 seasons and his replacement is Garrick McGee, an assistant from Arkansas with no prior head coaching experience.

I can see why you like to compare UAB and Georgia State. But there is a major difference between UAB and Georgia State. That difference being that Georgia State is not under the control of a board or governing body in the same manner that UAB is. Yes, we are under the control of the Board of Regents, like all public colleges/universities in Georgia, but we are not beholden to them for every little thing we want to do. If we want to build something, we can build it. We don't have to ask permission from the BoR like UAB did for their football stadium. Now, we might ask the BoR and the legislature for funding, but we don't have to ask for permission. Meaning if we have a donor, or donors, willing to pay, then we can just do it.

This is difference exists not just for buildings, but practically all other institutional decisions at UAB. UAB is under the control of Tuscaloosa. This is not the case for Georgia State, Georgia Southern, or any other public institution in the state as they are not under the control of Athens nor North Avenue.

Tuscon
April 21st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Ga State is a school, a good school. However much State tries to makeover it's image and look more like a traditional college, it's still in the middle of downtown Atlanta. State is attractive for the 5 million people working and living in the Greater Metro Area for finishing and undergrad degree or getting a graduate degree, but for the student seeking a traditional school and getting away from home (most 18 year-olds), State is way down the list.

Part of me hopes if we don't end up in the Sunbelt, we at least get to play State regularly because we'll need a replacement for Western Carolina on our schedule and we have more fans in Atlanta than State does so "Away" games with you will feel like home.

Why do you seem to think that just because you wouldn't want to go to a school in an urban setting, no one else would? I graduated high school and applied to Georgia State because I had heard it was a good school, I love Atlanta, and I didn't want to go very far away. Total current undergraduates at our school are 23,486. Of those, 17,417 are considered full time. That's nearly 75% of our undergraduates that don't fit with what you are trying to say.

I don't have to look at UAB to see anything about a coaching situation. Every school has their own situations regarding coaching. It's more about the administration getting and keeping the right people in place. To assume we would have coaching issues just because UAB does is absurd. They aren't Georgia State and we aren't them.

While Georgia State only averaged 14,286 in attendance last year, Georgia Southern averaged 17,701. Do you really think that is so much of a difference that you would have MORE fans in Atlanta than we do? I even think we would draw especially good against you on our side seeing as it happens in basketball.

Georgia Southern's propaganda against Georgia State is getting old. Most of the "facts" you guys spout out are just made up or have no bearing on Georgia State's situation.

The Eagle's Cliff
April 21st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Georgia State didn't put 14,000 butts in the seats. State's football program, so far, has been primarily funded by student fees. I don't see Atlanta supporting the school enough to take it anywhere close to Central Florida, mush less USF. Atlanta is a transient city with the only "real" Georgians living in the surrounding towns that can now be considered suburbs. Those towns are Dawg Country with a sprinkling of Ga Tech and half of Ga Southern's Alumni.

The ONLY reason State is in the Sunbelt is a happenstance of geography. Charlotte will benefit the same way. State just has too many circumstances working against it to ever be successful:

1. Shadow of the Big Dawg IN the Big Dawg's back yard.
2. Worst Sports City in America.
3. Metro Schools are Schools without the "College Experience" that endear Alumni.
4. Fans already don't want to deal with downtown to attend a game (even for Tech) - that won't change.
5. Finally, State will lose most recruiting battles and therefore most of their games. People won't support a loser.
6. Georgia Southern, App State, and a couple of others will be FBS before the next BCS Contract is signed and will be kicking State's *** up and down the field on a regular basis.

Tuscon
April 21st, 2012, 12:30 PM
Georgia State didn't put 14,000 butts in the seats. State's football program, so far, has been primarily funded by student fees. I don't see Atlanta supporting the school enough to take it anywhere close to Central Florida, mush less USF. Atlanta is a transient city with the only "real" Georgians living in the surrounding towns that can now be considered suburbs. Those towns are Dawg Country with a sprinkling of Ga Tech and half of Ga Southern's Alumni.

The ONLY reason State is in the Sunbelt is a happenstance of geography. Charlotte will benefit the same way. State just has too many circumstances working against it to ever be successful:

1. Shadow of the Big Dawg IN the Big Dawg's back yard.
2. Worst Sports City in America.
3. Metro Schools are Schools without the "College Experience" that endear Alumni.
4. Fans already don't want to deal with downtown to attend a game (even for Tech) - that won't change.
5. Finally, State will lose most recruiting battles and therefore most of their games. People won't support a loser.
6. Georgia Southern, App State, and a couple of others will be FBS before the next BCS Contract is signed and will be kicking State's *** up and down the field on a regular basis.

You think those schools in Florida weren't either in Gator or Seminole country? You're nuts and you keep making baseless assumptions.

1. Back to my point. Other programs have done just fine and with 130k Alumni in Georgia, I think we'll do just fine.
2. If we can win, that won't matter. Hell, even if we don't but we can get our average to 30k or so, well be just fine.
3. Another assumption that a lot of current students at Georgia State would disagree with. I keep trying to tell you that not everyone wants to live in rural America for a "traditional" college experience. To each their own and a lot of students seem to like living in an urban setting just fine.
4. Deal with downtown? Do you think that's why people don't go to Tech games? Tech takes in a lot of out of state students that then move on from Atlanta after school. They are a top tier engineering school and attract people from all over. I'm not even sure what you mean by Deal with Atlanta either. There are always things going on in the city and people come out for all of it. Right now the Dogwood Festival is going on across the street and Piedmont Park is packed. People like to get out and do things in Atlanta.
5. Baseless assumption. Why are we going to lose most recruiting battles? We will win some and we will win some, just like any other program.
6. Good luck with that, Georgia Southern. I see App St. being in WAY before you guys and even they don't get mentioned as much as programs like UTSA, Charlotte, and Texas State.

I-16Bandit
April 21st, 2012, 01:17 PM
This argument is old.

CID1990
April 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM
Ga State has some big shoes to fill if they want to be known as the GA thug school.

Tuscon
April 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM
This argument is old.

Agreed.

blueballs
April 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Since Ga St is going 1-A or FBS or whatever you call it these days, and everybody and their retarded brother knows they ain't gonna win anything, they apparently felt the need to compete in 1-A for something they CAN win- the coveted Fulmer Cup.

BEAR
April 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
I just find it funny that the bar was named Moondogs....and they were at it at 2 a.m. xlolx

DJnva
April 24th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Since this was some Ga State football players, I'm assuming they lost the fight?

Gringer1
April 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I don't know. They're pretty good at assaulting their own coaches.

http://simg.sportsbybrooks.com/c/c/ccfd27f499ae45d746fe70864272bcf5_billcurryknockedo utbygatoradebath.jpg

Squealofthepig
April 24th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I don't know. They're pretty good at assaulting their own coaches.

Half asleep, I read #41's jersey and got "Pant Hero" and thought maybe I had mistakenly stumbled into /b/ again.

blueballs
April 25th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Since this was some Ga State football players, I'm assuming they lost the fight?

Only if the bar patrons were from Lambuth...

GlassOnion
April 25th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I dont fault a school for having these every so often, 18-22 year olds can and will be idiots sometime. Its only natural when you get 20,000 of them together.

Now the kid that was already suspended not being kicked off the team, thats a problem for me. If your already suspended, you sure as hell better keep your nose clean, pure and simple. His threshold should have been at zero.

Wildcat80
April 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Way to make assumptions. We don't know Moody's involvement in all this. That's why he's not kicked off the team. My guess is they'll figure it out and he won't be here much longer.

So do we know more about WHY Moody "deserved" a suspension????

Eaglesrus
April 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Because GA State doesn't impose double-secret probation.

Tuscon
April 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM

Nope. No clue what's going on with that. CBC keeps team issues confidential as much as possible. Moody is still, as far as I know, suspended indefinitely.

Tuscon
May 4th, 2012, 11:38 AM

ajcgsu ‏ @ajcgsu

QB Ronnie Bell has been officially admitted to #GSU. Dexter Moody has been dismissed from team. #CAA

Moody is gone.