PDA

View Full Version : USD and NDSU to play at neutral site in 2012

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2012, 10:04 AM
USD will announce today that they're going to play NDSU in Sioux Falls, SD on October 20th, 2012 for their scheduled MVFC matchup.

Coyotes to play Bison at Howard Wood (http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120419/SPORTS0203/304190019/Coyotes-play-Bison-Howard-Wood?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cp&nclick_check=1)

USD has been making a concerted effort to establish a more prominent profile in Sioux Falls in recent years with weekly in-season booster gatherings involving USD athletic department officials and coaches, as well as increased marketing efforts within the city. Today’s announcement, which will be made in conjunction with the Sioux Falls Sports Authority, will be another step in that direction.

Sioux Falls is about 60 miles from Vermillion (where USD is located) and about 300 miles from Fargo. This is a head scratching move by USD for me. NDSU is one of only 5 homes games they have scheduled this year and would've probably been the best draw (UNI will also draw pretty well) so I'm not sure why they're going to give that up to play in Sioux Falls. Especially when they're giving the road team fans a shorter drive and an easier location to make accomodations at.

There are some who have a tendency to overestimate how well Bison fans travel but I get the feeling that this is going to be a 50/50 split in fans with no bulk student contingent from USD therefore no homefield advantage for the Coyotes.

So, is this a dumb move by USD or shrewd marketing in the largest metro area South Dakota has to offer?

darell1976
April 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
They couldn't beat the Bison in Vermillion maybe they think they can beat them in Sioux Falls.

LakesBison
April 19th, 2012, 10:22 AM
75% NDSU 25% usd just like last years ndsu/sdsu game in brookings

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
1. Howard Wood field was the former home of Augustana, the D-II powerhouse.
2. Wood Field and the DakotaDome both have a capacity of 10,000, so it's a wash there.
3. Does USD own the DakotaDome? If they have to pay to use it, then that's a wash too, as they'll have to pay someone for the home game anyway.
4. How's South Dakota weather on October 20th? Could it be a bad-weather game, or is it too early for that?

kdinva
April 19th, 2012, 11:06 AM
just looked at that area on "bing" maps. Nice "sportsplex" there, plenty of parking. Good looking venues.

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2012, 11:06 AM
2. Wood Field and the DakotaDome both have a capacity of 10,000, so it's a wash there.
3. Does USD own the DakotaDome? If they have to pay to use it, then that's a wash too, as they'll have to pay someone for the home game anyway.
4. How's South Dakota weather on October 20th? Could it be a bad-weather game, or is it too early for that?
I don't know if USD owns the DakotaDome or not but my reasoning behind it being an odd move was more from a competitive than a financial perspective. They're giving up homefield advantage for one of their biggest home games of the year.

October 20th is usually fine for weather but bad weather is still a slight possibility. Much less than if it was November 20th. Average high temperature in Sioux Falls on 10/20 is in the high 50s.

darell1976
April 19th, 2012, 11:07 AM

Weather in Vermillion on Oct. 20th, 2011 was 50 above which is good for fall.
http://www.usdcoyotes.com/info/anniversary/1.asp

Although the Dome welcomed its first teams and spectators in 1979, planning began several years earlier, in 1972. At the time, athletics were housed in a number of locations around campus, namely the New Armory, which has been renovated into what is now the Al Neuharth Media Center, and Inman Stadium, an outdoor football stadium located where the Beacom School of Business and the Law School currently reside. In 1972, Carl Miller was hired as the chair of the Health, Physical Education and Recreation Department as well as the Director of Athletics. Upon his arrival in Vermillion, Miller brought with him plans to create an enclosed athletic facility that would incorporate all of USD’s athletic teams. “At this time, there were no domes. The plan was ahead of its time,” Miller said. “People said ‘This guy’s crazy!’ but the president of the university, Dick Bowen, thought I was just crazy enough to get it done.” True to form, Miller wrote the first plans for the structure on a napkin. Given an $8 million budget, the initial plans were amended to meet budgetary constraints. After several years of planning, the groundbreaking for the DakotaDome took place in 1976.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DakotaDome

The DakotaDome is located on...North Dakota Street.xeyebrowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 19th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I think this is a good move by USD. If they market and promote this right in SF, this could be a huge event for them. The Bison game is the perfect game to do this since NDSU fans travel so well.

If they do not promote it in SF then this could be another "home game" for the Bison.

AmsterBison
April 19th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Sounds great to me. I predict a sell out.

I bet bar owners in Vermillion must be a little disappointed though.

344Johnson
April 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM
75% NDSU 25% usd just like last years ndsu/sdsu game in brookings

I'd say it was more along the liked of 70-30 in favor of SDSU. Quit making up lies lakes. We'll see how many Bison fans make the trip.

JSUBison
April 19th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm all in favor of playing "classics" at neutral locations. As long as they are giving up their home dates and not NDSU. Now let's work on getting UNI to give up their home game and get that scheduled for Minneapolis.

dakotadan
April 21st, 2012, 08:47 PM
The DakotaDome is located on...North Dakota Street.xeyebrowxThe first time that I went to Vermillion for a UND/USD game I almost crashed my truck when I saw the street sign out in front of the Dakotadome and busted out laughing.

LakesBison
April 21st, 2012, 09:22 PM
dakotadan. i did the same thing. its like going to Velva high school.

ndsubison
April 23rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
USD just opened up a hornets nest with this game. Depending on how they divy the tix, I guarantee there will be more BISON in those stands than Yotes. As if that weren't bad enough.....Bison drop the hammer by 2 TD's and put in the reserves. USD is in for a rude awakening in the MoValley.

BisonBacker
April 23rd, 2012, 04:56 PM
I think this maybe a trap game for NDSU. We are expected to win and with Glenn at the helm for USD who knows? I expect an NDSU win but stranger things have happened.

darell1976
April 23rd, 2012, 05:43 PM
This was the last win for South Dakota against NDSU 40-37 in 4 OT's in 2002. If NDSU's offense shows up expect a blowout, because their defense looks solid again. http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=75186

TheBisonator
April 23rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
This was the last win for South Dakota against NDSU 40-37 in 4 OT's in 2002. If NDSU's offense shows up expect a blowout, because their defense looks solid again. http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=75186

The following year we crushed them at the Fargodome something like 35-0 in front of 9,010 fans. Yeah, I said 9,010 fans. I was at that game as a new student at NDSU. I thought at that time that less than half-full FFD crowds were normal. (Residue from the 2002 disaster effected attendance in 2003)

MplsBison
April 23rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
Sounds like they're trying to create an exciting game day atmosphere for USD football in Sioux Falls. I'm sure a number of USD alumni in SF will turn out for tailgating and everyone knows NDSU fans will travel down I-29.

darell1976
April 23rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Maybe USD didn't look at the schedule because Sioux Falls College is at Augustana so thats more people that won't be at the game cheering for USD as they will be across town at the DII cross town rival game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 24th, 2012, 06:28 AM
USD just opened up a hornets nest with this game. Depending on how they divy the tix, I guarantee there will be more BISON in those stands than Yotes. As if that weren't bad enough.....Bison drop the hammer by 2 TD's and put in the reserves. USD is in for a rude awakening in the MoValley.

They will probably beat Colgate but it wouldn't surprise me if they get "skunked" in conference play.

I could see a 1-10 or 2-9 season for them.

AmsterBison
April 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Maybe USD didn't look at the schedule because Sioux Falls College is at Augustana so thats more people that won't be at the game cheering for USD as they will be across town at the DII cross town rival game.

One is a day game. One is a night game. Maybe that'll help.

BisonHype!
April 26th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Crazy move, but will probably attract more fans. Is it worth it? No. The result will be the same with NDSU just piss pounding USD in a different venue, and in front of more fans. Good promotion for NDSU though with game in Sioux Falls.xcoffeex