PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Taking Time w/Expansion

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM
SoCon is saying that expansion news won't come til atleast November. The discussion continues to take place. CCU may just have to wait til PC and perhaps another school or few comes over to the Big South before they have a chance at an auto-bid...

Southern Conference taking its time with expansion
By Ian Guerin
The Sun News

As Coastal Carolina football fans begin talking about another upcoming football season, at least one issue might need to be put to rest for at least the time being.

Southern Conference Commissioner John Iamarino said Monday that any expansion news will probably wait until after the league's next set of meetings, which will not happen until November.

Some expected the Southern Conference - which finished its most recent meetings earlier this month - would have news this summer. Iamarino, though, said that will not be the case.

Instead, Southern Conference school presidents will continue to discuss the matter.

"I guess [expansion] has been on the agenda the last few times," said Iamarino, who took over his position in January. "The presidents have asked for information on the subject, and that's the next step."

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/14813597.htm

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Lack of decent candidates in the geographic area is the prob.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Didn't realize you had another post...sorry about that I-AA 2006...

The title of that other thread is a bit misleading though as CCU is in the discussion, but there just is no forward moving talks in the SoCon...

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM
As Coastal Carolina football fans begin talking about another upcoming football season, at least one issue might need to be put to rest for at least the time being.

Iamarino addressed few elements of the topic specifically, but he did say that the league has not had contact with Coastal Carolina for some time.

Kinda sums it up.

youwouldno
June 14th, 2006, 10:39 PM
The SoCon needs schools that want to compete in I-AA football (for the schools that play football, I mean). UTC is considering the OVC because football isn't their sport, basketball is.

On the other hand, there are some OVC programs that might be interested in the SoCon for the opposite reason-- they actually want to compete in football, and the OVC makes that all but impossible.

GeauxLions94
June 14th, 2006, 10:50 PM
The SoCon needs schools that want to compete in I-AA football (for the schools that play football, I mean). UTC is considering the OVC because football isn't their sport, basketball is.

On the other hand, there are some OVC programs that might be interested in the SoCon for the opposite reason-- they actually want to compete in football, and the OVC makes that all but impossible.

Would Jacksonville State be one of them??? They would be a good addition to the SoCon :nod:

Cocky
June 15th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Would Jacksonville State be one of them??? They would be a good addition to the SoCon :nod:

It would have to be EKU, JSU, and maybe EIU. Those are the only 3 that care anything about football.

OL FU
June 15th, 2006, 07:49 AM
It would have to be EKU, JSU, and maybe EIU. Those are the only 3 that care anything about football.

I have heard that Samford cares, but I have not seen a lot of proof.

They did have a fairly large group at last years Furman game considering the distance and their lack of recent success.

walliver
June 15th, 2006, 08:17 AM

EIU isn't exactly "Southern" and probably wouldn't be a good fit (It's a long way from South Georgia):D

Cocky
June 15th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I have heard that Samford cares, but I have not seen a lot of proof.

They did have a fairly large group at last years Furman game considering the distance and their lack of recent success.

Most of their money goes to Basketball.

Cocky
June 15th, 2006, 08:29 AM
EIU isn't exactly "Southern" and probably wouldn't be a good fit (It's a long way from South Georgia):D

We're a long way from most of the Carolina schools. EKU is a long way from most schools also.

The SOCON would be great for Football, Golf, and Baseball, but if GSU, UC, and App State where to leave we would be a misfit. Our other problem is the I-AA schools (non-HBCU) have a big gap between Samford and SLC teams. We are going to have to travel a good bit no matter what conference we are in. The OVC isn't a bad league as far as travel but I do question if our interest and the other teams interest are anywhere near the same.

OL FU
June 15th, 2006, 08:58 AM
We're a long way from most of the Carolina schools. EKU is a long way from most schools also.

The SOCON would be great for Football, Golf, and Baseball, but if GSU, UC, and App State where to leave we would be a misfit. Our other problem is the I-AA schools (non-HBCU) have a big gap between Samford and SLC teams. We are going to have to travel a good bit no matter what conference we are in. The OVC isn't a bad league as far as travel but I do question if our interest and the other teams interest are anywhere near the same.

If you look at the SoCon of the past (from WVa to S. Ga) travel seemed less of an issue. I think Alabama teams would fit in well using the old geographic locations (the distances are not that different wth Virgina and W Virgina gone). I suppoe the question is, have travel costs become a larger deterrent that in the past.

I don't see that many conferences shrinking geographically, only the SoCon. Was that intentional or accidental? I don't know.

OL FU
June 15th, 2006, 09:00 AM

PS let's face you are a long way from all the SoCon schools except UC. I would guess that the drive to Greenville isn't much longer than the drive to Statesboro.

Cocky
June 15th, 2006, 09:15 AM
PS let's face you are a long way from all the SoCon schools except UC. I would guess that the drive to Greenville isn't much longer than the drive to Statesboro.

Greenville is probably closer it's only about 3.5 to 4 hours. Statesboro is around 4.5 to 5 hours. Wofford would be closer than Statesboro but the others are quite a ways. Of course we aren't close to EIU, SEMO, and nobody is close to Martin.

Cocky
June 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM
If you look at the SoCon of the past (from WVa to S. Ga) travel seemed less of an issue. I think Alabama teams would fit in well using the old geographic locations (the distances are not that different wth Virgina and W Virgina gone). I suppoe the question is, have travel costs become a larger deterrent that in the past.

I don't see that many conferences shrinking geographically, only the SoCon. Was that intentional or accidental? I don't know.

Travel cost are more of a concern for non-revenue sports. This is why conferences are allowing non-football schools membership. If Kennesaw State, Ga State, and West Ga were to move to I-AA in the SOCON then it would be real attractive to JSU. That a lot of new members and Ga State will not leave the CAA.

It maybe time for a new conference.

OL FU
June 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Travel cost are more of a concern for non-revenue sports. This is why conferences are allowing non-football schools membership. If Kennesaw State, Ga State, and West Ga were to move to I-AA in the SOCON then it would be real attractive to JSU. That a lot of new members and Ga State will not leave the CAA.

It maybe time for a new conference.

Well the Northeast is re-aligning the conferences on another thread.

What the hell:rolleyes: :D

No offense 13 but I don't want to be in the Patriot South Conference:p