View Full Version : Coastal leading candidate

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I guess not......

CCU FOOTBALL
Southern Conference taking its time with expansion
By Ian Guerin
The Sun News
As Coastal Carolina football fans begin talking about another upcoming football season, at least one issue might need to be put to rest for at least the time being.

Southern Conference Commissioner John Iamarino said Monday that any expansion news will probably wait until after the league's next set of meetings, which will not happen until November.
Some expected the Southern Conference - which finished its most recent meetings earlier this month - would have news this summer. Iamarino, though, said that will not be the case.

Instead, Southern Conference school presidents will continue to discuss the matter.

"I guess [expansion] has been on the agenda the last few times," said Iamarino, who took over his position in January. "The presidents have asked for information on the subject, and that's the next step."

Iamarino addressed few elements of the topic specifically, but he did say that the league has not had contact with Coastal Carolina for some time. He also said the 11-team (eight football-playing members) league is still debating whether to expand to 12 schools or 14. During an interview with The Sun News in February, Iamarino said he preferred the larger number, although on Monday he said he would not go into those specifics either.

Iamarino's announcement that the league will continue to take its time with this issue comes just weeks after the Big South announced that Gardner-Webb will join its conference as a full-time member in 2008.

Gardner-Webb will essentially take the place of Birmingham-Southern, which voted in May to move its athletics program to non-scholarship, NCAA Division III status.

However, neither of those two schools affected the football landscape of the Big South. Gardner-Webb is already a football member, and Birmingham-Southern did not field a team.

The five-team Big South still competes one team shy of an automatic bid to the NCAA Division I-AA football playoffs. Presbyterian College is in the process of joining the Big South, but its status as a Division I program could take as many as five years to complete.

The only way the Big South could speed the playoff automatic berth process along would be to add an existing I-AA football program.

The football-rich Southern Conference accounted for three of the 16 teams in last year's NCAA Division I-AA playoffs, more representation than any other league, and Appalachian State went on to win the national title.

The other two teams, Georgia Southern and Furman, are on Coastal's 2006 schedule.

It seems likely that those matchups will predate any possible expansion

bodoyle
June 14th, 2006, 09:17 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10670&page=5

already posted IAA :):)

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Now it's posted again. Just wanted to emphasize a certain passage.

OL FU
June 14th, 2006, 09:31 AM

This one will get moved to smack:nod:

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM

It could happen. That'll work.

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Hey, I was just wondering. if the SoCon is supposed to be so weak except at the top, according to another thread, I wonder how we've done so well in the play-offs the last 20 years. Looks like we'd fold from playing such a patsy in-conf schedule, when we finally hit good competition.xlolx

MarkCCU
June 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM
IAA, I'm gonna a link to verify that passage.

ii'm just kidding. lol

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Go ahead, knock yourself out. lol

CoastalFan2005
June 14th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Just wanted to emphasize a certain passage.

:rolleyes:

CoastalFan2005
June 14th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Agreed.

bodoyle
June 14th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I would have emphasized the fact that the idiot "guessed" that it had been discussed before. What the hell? Does the guy not know what happened in prior meetings before he came there?

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I would have emphasized the fact that the idiot "guessed" that it had been discussed before. What the hell? Does the guy not know what happened in prior meetings before he came there?

Apparetnly not much on that topic and not on the current agenda..

Jaques
June 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Whether ccu is involved or not, it sounds like socon expansion of any kind won't happen for a long time.

CollegeSportsInfo
June 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
"some time"...so at least the Coastal fans now HAVE PROOF that the SoCon has had contact with Coastal.

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 06:53 PM
"some time"...so at least the Coastal fans now HAVE PROOF that the SoCon has had contact with Coastal.

..for some time....i.e. before they had football..lol

...and don't think i saw the term..leading candidate mentioned in there, did you?

It would be difficult to be a leading candidate when there's been no contact for some time. Sort of like getting invited to the prom by someone you don't talk to. Wouldn't advise turning down dates and waiting by the phone.

Sly Fox
June 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Come on, I-AA. The article is hardly something anyone from the SoCon should be proud of. The commish makes the conference come off like a bunch of morons. Using this story to crack on the Chants is weak.

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Come on, I-AA. The article is hardly something anyone from the SoCon should be proud of. The commish makes the conference come off like a bunch of morons. Using this story to crack on the Chants is weak.

Come on Fox, I don't see where he makes the SoCon look like morons. Everybody keeps naming candidates and the SoCon says wait a minute, who says we're in hurry to add anybody?
The morons are the ones who keep coming up with all these leading candidates for slots that don't really exist. Talking about two football divisions, etc.

SoCon48
June 14th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Whether ccu is involved or not, it sounds like socon expansion of any kind won't happen for a long time.
BINGO! Tell that to the fox.

chattanoogamocs
June 14th, 2006, 09:42 PM
The reason for the delay could be the fact that the SoCon is waiting to get a committment from Chattanooga that they will not be leaving for the OVC. From what I was told (literally today), the brand new AD at UC will be taking a serious look at the OVC. Doesn't mean that anything will happen, but that with someone new in charge (and a viable option on the table), they want to once and for all make decision on this topic (and the rest of the SoCon membership probably want some, deserved, assurances what UC, once and for all, is going to do).

Obviously, if Chattanooga did decide to leave, it would probably drastically change the expansion process for the SoCon (Samford would definitely be out)...and, of course, the conference could/would only take two and get up to 12.

The latter part is just deductive speculation on my part, but the crux is, Chattanooga will take a hard look at the plus and minus of both the OVC and SoCon this fall (AD wont be in town until the middle of July).

What I honestly thought might have been a dead issue a couple of months ago, now seems to have regained steam (two people that I talked to in the last week that were against the OVC...one official and one major donor...have now either changed their minds or at least agree it deserves a serious look).

Just some summer time "food for thought".

Golden Eagle
June 14th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Makes you go "hmmm...."

youwouldno
June 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM
The OVC makes sense for UTC if they basically are giving up on being a competitive I-AA football team, because the OVC has better basketball.

OL FU
June 15th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I would hate to see Chattanooga go to the OVC, but geographically it just makes too much sense.

It also speaks to some extent as to why the SoCon is becoming the Carolina's Conference. Let's face it folks, travel budgets and the ability of fans to get to the games (fball and bball) are important issues:nod: