PDA

View Full Version : Deriso: Spears Says "Black is Back"

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Any other schools that have this kind of tradition with everyone wearing the same color? Hopefully Spears knows not to schedule afternoon games early in the season if he's hoping to get this tradition in place.

It'll be hot wearing black in this part of the country. I schvitz in my hours outside here in New Orleans. Can't be much different in Deriso and Spears' neck of the woods...

Love it Grambling! MikeBigg and company, you folks need to get us pictures if Spears' vision works...

Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Black to the future
Grambling players have been calling Robinson Stadium "the Black Hole" for years.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

GSU coach Melvin Spears, in south Florida for the Black Coaches Association meetings, attended a Miami Heat home playoff game.

He was struck, like so many people, by the sea of white shirts in the crowd. Miami has encouraged fans to wear them, taking as a theme: "White Hot Heat."

By the time he returned to Louisiana, Spears had his own version for next football season: "Black is Back."

Spears would like all fans to wear black to Grambling games, hoping for the same sense of unity - not to mention a powerful dose of intimidation for visiting teams and their fans.

Now, if Spears will just bring back those red pants. But that's another blog.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/06/black-to-future.html

Kiss My Apps
June 13th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Appalachian has a similar "Black Saturday" promotion annually, either the Furman or GSU game.

GAD
June 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Southern has been doing it since the mid 90's only we wear all gold they are called "GOLD RUSH GAMES"

Also in 1999 Southern and Jackson State did it all the SU fans wore gold, J-State wore white

blackfordpu
June 13th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Black ROCKS!:nod:

ngineer
June 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Awfully hot in September...different psychological edge...can't remember where I read that white/light colors can reduce heat on the body a substantial amount...

TheValleyRaider
June 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Awfully hot in September...different psychological edge...can't remember where I read that white/light colors can reduce heat on the body a substantial amount...

I've heard that too, but I'm guessing FAU didn't know it when they made us wear our whites in 2003 while they had on dark blue. It was at least 40 degrees warmer in Florida than it was in Hamilton. If they were trying for intimidation, well, it didn't work :D

GeauxColonels
June 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM
It's just a basic scientific principle:

Black is the absence of color. Therefore, when you see something that is black, it is refelecting very little light and absorbing the vast majority of the light.
White is all colors in the light spectrum combined. Therefore, when you look at something that is white, it is reflecting virtually all of the light.
Just a side note, if you see something that is green, it is reflecting green light waves and absorbing all the other colors in the light spectrum.

Just FYI. That's why wearing black makes you hotter than wearing white. Of course, that really only applies if you're in direct sunlight. If it's at night or the playing surface is inside or in the shadows it doesn't really matter.

McNeese75
June 14th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I think most of Gramblings games are at night (at least home games) so the all black unis should not effect them.

MACHIAVELLI
June 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I think most of Gramblings games are at night (at least home games) so the all black unis should not effect them.

THE ICON's 2006 Football Schedule (http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/football2006.htm)

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2006, 06:03 PM
THE ICON's 2006 Football Schedule (http://www.gramblingstateuniversity.com/football2006.htm)

Sept 2nd - 11 AM at Legion Field...versus Hampton. That'll be hot-hot-hot! Will have mostly G-Men and G-Women in Birmingham...

Jackson St is a 3 PM start on Oct 21st. Still going to be hot, but not too bad...Ark-PB at 1 PM the week before may be a bit toasty...

Any clue where the TxSo-Grambling game is going to be played in Houston?

mikebigg
June 21st, 2006, 01:04 AM
It's just a basic scientific principle:

Black is the absence of color. Therefore, when you see something that is black, it is refelecting very little light and absorbing the vast majority of the light.
White is all colors in the light spectrum combined. Therefore, when you look at something that is white, it is reflecting virtually all of the light.
Just a side note, if you see something that is green, it is reflecting green light waves and absorbing all the other colors in the light spectrum.

Just FYI. That's why wearing black makes you hotter than wearing white. Of course, that really only applies if you're in direct sunlight. If it's at night or the playing surface is inside or in the shadows it doesn't really matter.

I think you might have it mixed up on the absence of color deal... I think Black is the result of having all colors. No way you can combine all the colors and come up with white... think about it.

June 21st, 2006, 01:23 AM
The color spectrum: White is the absence of color, black is all colors combined
The light spectrum: White is all colors combined, black is the absence of color

GeauxColonels
June 21st, 2006, 10:17 AM
The color spectrum: White is the absence of color, black is all colors combined
The light spectrum: White is all colors combined, black is the absence of color
Correct, we're talking about why black unis are hotter and how your eyes perceive color.

Cap'n Cat
June 21st, 2006, 12:24 PM
Northern Iowa wears all purple at home.