PDA

View Full Version : the history of your conference

813Jag
June 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM
The SWAC began in 1920, with six Texas schools. Once formed it was known as the "Super Six". The founding schools were Priarie View, Bishop College(1920-1956), Texas College(1920-1968), Wiley College(1920-1968), Paul Quinn College(1920-1929), and Sam Houston College(1920-1959).
Langston University joined in 1931 and left in 1957.
Current SWAC members:
Southern University-1934
Arkansas AM&N-1936(they rejoined in 1997 as Arkansas-Pine Bluff)
Texas Southern-1954
Grambling College(now Grambling State)-1958
Jackson College(now Jackson State)-1958
Alcorn A&M(now Alcorn State)-1962
Mississippi Valley State-1968
Alabama State-1982
Alabama A&M-1999

I's like to hear about the history of the other conferences.

OL FU
June 13th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I feel sorry for whoever is going to explain the Yankee conference:smiley_wi

But it should be an interesting flow chart:nod:

OL FU
June 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Founded 1921
Fifth Oldest Conference behind the Big Ten, Missouri Valley, Pac 10 and the SWAC.

Original conference and early additions included current SEC and ACC members mostly. Talk about a major conference, the 1921 edition included Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi State, North Carolina, NC State, Tennessee, Virginia, Va Tech and Washing & Lee :confused: . 1922 Additions included Florida, LSU, Ole Miss, South Carolina and Tulane.

The first now I-AA member to join was VMI 1925.

1932 the SEC was formed and the large schools west of the Appalachians left. In 1936 The William and Mary, Wake Forest, and current members, Furman, Citadel and Davidson joined.

1954, the ACC was formed so another large departure from the SoCon occurred.

Over the next forty years or so the following members came went East Carolina, West Virginia, Richmond, Marshall and probably others that I can’t recall.

Current Conference members (Football) and when they joined (approximately)

ASU 1971
Chattanooga 1977
Citadel 1936
Elon 2003
Furman 1936
Georgia Southern 1992(?)
Western Carolina 1971
Wofford 1995 ( I think)

Kill'em
June 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Actually FU, Georgia Southern joined the SoCon in 1993.

DUPFLFan
June 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM
From the Pioneer League Web Site
http://www.collegesportingnews.net/Sites/PFL/view_article.asp?articleid=58731

The Pioneer Football League begins its 13th season continuing its goal of operating a quality football program for the benefit of student-athletes and the university community.

The league is comprised of NCAA Division I universities that previously sponsored intercollegiate football at other levels with the exception of Jacksonville, which started a non-scholarship program in 1998. With the passing of NCAA legislation at the January 1991 convention, Division I institutions were required to conduct all intercollegiate sports at the divisional level. Therefore, the five charter members (Evansville the fifth before dropping football in 1997) joined, sharing a common academic and athletic philosophy and a common commitment to operate quality football programs.
The league grew to nine members with the 2001 addition of four new schools - Austin Peay State University, Davidson College, Jacksonville University and Morehead State University. That expansion also necessitated the formation of two divisions with charter members Butler University, the University of Dayton, Drake University and Valparaiso University, plus the University of San Diego (joining in 1992) forming the North Division and the newest members becoming the South Division.
The league spent its first season in 1993 under the administrative guidance of the Midwestern Collegiate Conference, but the offices moved to St. Louis in 1994, where current commissioner Patty Viverito took over PFL leadership.
Beginning in 2005, the Pioneer Football League and Gateway Football League were joined by the Great West Football Conference as the only Division I conferences that sponsor football as their only sport. The PFL remains a proponent of NCAA Division I-AA legislation that would develop a classification for Division I football programs operating with need-based aid and adopted the moniker of Pioneer based on the intent to become the first league in that new division.

henfan
June 13th, 2006, 08:59 AM
The Yankee Conference had its origins in the New England Conference, which included all of the New England public schools except for Vermont. Any other info on this conference would be appreciated.

YANKEE CONFERENCE (1947-1996)
Connecticut (1947-1999, reclassified I-A)
Maine (1947-)
Massachusetts (1947-)
New Hampshire (1947-)
Rhode Island (1947-)
Vermont (1947-1974, dropped FB)
Boston University (1971-1997, dropped FB)
Holy Cross (1971, withdrew from conference)
Delaware (1986-)
Richmond (1986-)
Villanova (1988-)
James Madison (1993-)
Northeastern (1993-)
William & Mary (1993-)

ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE (1997-2006)
schools above
Hofstra (2001-)
Towson (2004-)

COLONIAL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION (2007-)
all schools above

http://images.marketworks.com/hi/18/18392/101703bk.jpg

Umass74
June 13th, 2006, 09:20 AM
RE: A10

I wonder what happened to the Bean Pot? That was the Yankee Conference championship trophy.

Anyone Know?

Ivytalk
June 13th, 2006, 10:33 AM
RE: A10

I wonder what happened to the Bean Pot? That was the Yankee Conference championship trophy.

Anyone Know?

The only Beanpot Trophy that I care about is the ice hockey variety!:D

Which Harvard hasn't won in years...:bawling:

Ivytalk
June 13th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Anyone interested in the history of the Ivy League should read Ivy League Autumns by Richard Goldstein. Good stuff!:nod:

GeauxColonels
June 13th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Southland Conference
Founded in 1963 by five institutions:

Abilene Christian College (now Abilene Christian University)
Arkansas State College (now Arkansas State University)
Arlington State College (now University of Texas at Arlington)
Lamar State College of Technology (now Lamar University)
Trinity University

1964 - The SLC begins football competition as a member of NAIA

1967 - Trinity DE Marvin Upshaw become the 1st SLC player to be selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft (21st overall - Cleveland Browns)

1968 - The SLC begins competition in the NCAA's College Division

1970 - Arkansas St. wins it's 3rd straight SLC title with an 11-0 record and is named UPI College Division National Champions.

1971 - Louisiana Tech University and the University of Southwestern Louisiana (now University of Louisiana at Lafayette) join the SLC. Trinity University plays its final SLC season (winning a share of the SLC title).

1972 - Louisiana Tech claims the College Division National Championship. McNeese State University joins the SLC. Abilene Christian plays its final year in the SLC and withdraws from the conference.

1973 - Louisiana Tech wins the first-ever NCAA football championship, winning the Division II title, 34-0 over Western Kentucky.

1974 - Louisiana Tech is declared UPI Division II National Champion.

1975 - The SLC begins play as an NCAA Division I league. The SLC and Shreveport, LA develop the Independence Bowl (hosting the SLC champion) after Arkansas St. finishes the season 11-0 - one of only 2 unbeaten D-I teams - but has no postseason opportunities.

1976 - McNeese St. wins the first ever Independence Bowl, 20-16 over Tulsa.

1980 - McNeese St. loses to Southern Mississippi (16-14) in the final Independence Bowl hosted by the SLC Champion.

1981 - University of Southwestern Louisiana (now University of Louisiana at Lafayette) plays its final season in the SLC and withdraws from the conference.

1982 - The SLC is reclassified as an NCAA Division I-AA football league and begins participation in the NCAA playoffs. Northeast Louisiana University (now the University of Louisiana at Monroe) joins the SLC. Louisiana Tech advances to the I-AA semifinals, falling to Delaware 17-0.

1983 - North Texas State University (now the University of North Texas) joins the SLC.

1984 - Louisiana Tech falls to Montana St. in the I-AA National Championship Game, 19-6.

1985 - Texas-Arlington plays its final season and withdraws from the SLC after discontinuing football.

1986 - Arkansas St. falls to Georgia Southern in the I-AA National Championship Game, 48-21. Arkansas St., Louisiana Tech and Lamar withdraw from the SLC.

1987 - Northeast Louisiana wins the I-AA National Championship beating Marshall 43-42. NLU also beat conference opponent North Texas, 30-9, in the first round. Current members Northwestern State University, Sam Houston State University, Southwest Texas State University (now Texas State-San Marcos) and Stephen F. Austin State University play their first seasons in the SLC.

1988 - The SLC sends 3 teams to the playoffs for the first time ever: Northwestern St. falls to Idaho 38-30 in the quarterfinals; SFA falls to Georgia Southern 27-7 in the 2nd round; and North Texas loses to Marshall 7-0 in the first round.

1989 - SFA falls to Georgia Southern in the I-AA National Championship game 37-34.

1991 - Current member Nicholls State University plays its first season in the SLC.

1993 - Northeast Louisiana plays its final SLC football season and withdraws from the SLC (all other sports remain in SLC).

1994 - North Texas plays its final SLC season and withdraws from the conference.

1996 - The Southland Football League (SFL) is formed by the remaining six SLC football-playing institutions and Troy State University (now Troy University). Nicholls St. completes an incredible turnaround to 8-4 from 0-11 the year prior, earning a playoff bid. Nicholls St. head coach Darren Barbier wins the Eddie Robinson Award as the National I-AA Coach of the Year.

1997 - McNeese St. falls to Youngstown St. in the I-AA National Championship game, 10-9. Jacksonville State University joins the SFL and plays its first season in the league.

2000 - Troy St. plays its final season in the SFL and withdraws.

2001 - The final season of the Southland Football League with the identity returning to the Southland Conference for 2002. Sam Houston St. head coach Ron Randleman records his 200th career coaching victory.

2002 - McNeese St. falls to Western Kentucky 34-14 in the I-AA National Championship game. McNeese State head coach Tommy Tate is honored with the Eddie Robinson Award, signifying the National I-AA Coach of the Year. Jacksonville St. plays its final season in the SLC and withdraws. Southeastern Louisiana University announces plans to restart its football program.

2005 - SLU begins play in the SLC.

HIU 93
June 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM
The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) was founded in 1970 with the idea of forming a new conference based along the Atlantic coastline. The conference was founded by seven schools that had all once been members of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA). The conference's inaugural season was the 1971 football season.

"Its major objective was to establish, organize and supervise an inter-collegiate athletic program among a compact group of educational institutions of high academic standards and with a sound philosophy of co-curricular activities." (www.meacsports.com, 2005).

The seven schools that formed the MEAC were Howard University, Delaware State College (now university), Morgan State University, Maryland State College (now The University of Maryland-Eastern Shore), North Carolina Central University, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, and South Carolina State College (now university). In 1979, the MEAC began its expansion by welcoming in Florida A&M University and Bethune-Cookman College. In 1985, Coppin State College (now University) was added, and in 1995, Hampton University joined the conference. The current conference make up was completed in 1997 when Norfolk State University was added. The MEAC's first commissioner was Dr. Leroy T. Walker, alumnus of North Carolina Central. Some of you may remember him as President of the United States Olympic Committee.

colgate13
June 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM
1986 - Colonial League is founded and begins full round-robin play in football only; Lafayette College associate professor Alan Childs is named the Executive Director.
1989 - Carl Ulrich is appointed as the first full-time Executive Director.
1990 - Colonial League changes its name to Patriot League.
1990-91 - Patriot League becomes an all-sport conference, sponsoring 22 sports, 11 for women and 11 for men. Membership includes Bucknell University, Colgate University, Fordham University, College of the Holy Cross, Lafayette College, Lehigh University and the United States Military Academy.
1991 - The United States Naval Academy joins the League as a full member.
1993 - Constance (Connie) H. Hurlbut is named Executive Director of the League, becoming the first woman and youngest person to be selected as the leader of an NCAA Division I conference.
1995 - Fordham University resigns its full membership but remains in the League as an associate member in football.
1996 - Change in League policy adopted to allow basketball scholarships beginning with the class entering in the fall of 1998; Fairfield University and Ursinus College begin League play as associate members in field hockey.
1997 - Creation of League basketball television package, which grows to 12 games on DIRECTV and ESPN, beginning with the 2002-03 season; Towson University begins League play as an associate member in football.
1999 - Carolyn Schlie Femovich is selected as the fourth Executive Director of the League; Villanova University begins League play as an associate member in women's lacrosse and Hobart College as an associate member in men's lacrosse.
2000-01 - League celebrates its 10th Anniversary; League policy regarding merit aid expanded to include all sports except football, beginning with the class entering in the fall of 2001.
2001 - American University joins the League as a full member; Georgetown University joins as an associate member in football.
2003 - U.S. Naval Academy increases participation from 12 sports to 18 by joining PL in men's lacrosse, men's swimming & diving and all cross country and track & field programs.
2004 - Women's rowing is added as the League's 23rd championship sport.
Patriot League signs agreement with College Sports TV (CSTV).
2005 - League celebrates its 20th year of football.

link (http://patriotleague.cstv.com/school-bio/patr-school-bio-history.html)

Ken_Z
June 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM
1986 - Colonial League is founded and begins full round-robin play in football only; Lafayette College associate professor Alan Childs is named the Executive Director.
1989 - Carl Ulrich is appointed as the first full-time Executive Director.
1990 - Colonial League changes its name to Patriot League.
1990-91 - Patriot League becomes an all-sport conference, sponsoring 22 sports, 11 for women and 11 for men. Membership includes Bucknell University, Colgate University, Fordham University, College of the Holy Cross, Lafayette College, Lehigh University and the United States Military Academy.
1991 - The United States Naval Academy joins the League as a full member.
1993 - Constance (Connie) H. Hurlbut is named Executive Director of the League, becoming the first woman and youngest person to be selected as the leader of an NCAA Division I conference.
1995 - Fordham University resigns its full membership but remains in the League as an associate member in football.
1996 - Change in League policy adopted to allow basketball scholarships beginning with the class entering in the fall of 1998; Fairfield University and Ursinus College begin League play as associate members in field hockey.
1997 - Creation of League basketball television package, which grows to 12 games on DIRECTV and ESPN, beginning with the 2002-03 season; Towson University begins League play as an associate member in football.
1999 - Carolyn Schlie Femovich is selected as the fourth Executive Director of the League; Villanova University begins League play as an associate member in women's lacrosse and Hobart College as an associate member in men's lacrosse.
2000-01 - League celebrates its 10th Anniversary; League policy regarding merit aid expanded to include all sports except football, beginning with the class entering in the fall of 2001.
2001 - American University joins the League as a full member; Georgetown University joins as an associate member in football.
2003 - U.S. Naval Academy increases participation from 12 sports to 18 by joining PL in men's lacrosse, men's swimming & diving and all cross country and track & field programs.
2004 - Women's rowing is added as the League's 23rd championship sport.
Patriot League signs agreement with College Sports TV (CSTV).
2005 - League celebrates its 20th year of football.

i think Davidson's short tenure as a football member (pre PL name change) is worthy of mention.

Go...gate
June 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Also, the agreement to form the Colonial/Patriot League began in 1984, not 1986. William & Mary was one of the founding signatories.

OL FU
June 13th, 2006, 01:14 PM
i think Davidson's short tenure as a football member (pre PL name change) is worthy of mention.

uuhhh, Why?:smiley_wi

colgate13
June 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Ken/Go...gate -

Apparently the PL doesn't want to remember them! That's straight from the PL site.

aceinthehole
June 13th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Here's a summary of the brief history of the Northeast Conference:

Charter Members (1996-present)
Central Connecticut St.
Monmouth
Robert Morris
Saint Francis (PA)
Wagner

Membership changes
Sacred Heart (1998-present)
Albany (1999-present)
Stony Brook (1999-2006)
Saint John's (NY) (2000-2003)

NEC Champions
1996 - Monmouth / Robert Morris
1997 - Robert Morris
1998 - Monmouth / Robert Morris
1999 - Robert Morris
2000 - Robert Morris
2001 - Sacred Heart
2002 - Albany
2003 - Monmouth / Albany
2004 - Central Connecticut St. / Monmouth
2005 - Central Connecticut St. / Stony Brook

RockyMtnGriz
June 13th, 2006, 02:07 PM
The Big Sky Conference was established in 1963 by six charter members; Idaho, Idaho State, Gonzaga, Montana, Montana State and Weber State. Those six schools formed the foundation of the Big Sky before the league expanded in 1970 by adding Boise State and Northern Arizona.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=229

Composite BSC Standing 1963-2004 (http://www.bigskyconf.com/articles/artfiles/58550_05guidesec3.pdf)

Go...gate
June 13th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Agreed, 13. My source is the 1984 Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger article which broke the story.

Ken_Z
June 13th, 2006, 03:36 PM
uuhhh, Why?:smiley_wi

'cause we could beat them. we could have used them in the league last year. :)

actually, their departure was interesting in that they accused the PL of failing to live up to the promise to be a true non-scholarship league. the first of so many issues we have had around athletic aid.

OL FU
June 13th, 2006, 03:50 PM
'cause we could beat them. we could have used them in the league last year. :)

actually, their departure was interesting in that they accused the PL of failing to live up to the promise to be a true non-scholarship league. the first of so many issues we have had around athletic aid.

I like the first answer better:nod:

DTSpider
June 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I feel sorry for whoever is going to explain the Yankee conference:smiley_wi

But it should be an interesting flow chart:nod:

Actually, the southern is probably the toughest to follow. Good luck showing it by year. Seems nearly every school south of Maryland and east of the Miss. has been involved at some point.

OL FU
June 13th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Actually, the southern is probably the toughest to follow. Good luck showing it by year. Seems nearly every school south of Maryland and east of the Miss. has been involved at some point.

Yep thanks to Henfan I realize the Yankee Conference was not that tough.

SoCon Website says 42 schools have been affiliated at some point. I don't think I could name them all

Tod
June 13th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Right off the Big Sky website:

The Big Sky Conference was established in 1963 by six charter members; Idaho, Idaho State, Gonzaga, Montana, Montana State and Weber State. Those six schools formed the foundation of the Big Sky before the league expanded in 1970 by adding Boise State and Northern Arizona. Gonzaga would leave the Big Sky in 1979 and was replaced by Nevada, which gave the conference eight members. The league grew to nine schools in 1987 when Eastern Washington was admitted.

The 1990’s saw change in the makeup of the league, beginning in 1992 when Nevada departed and put the Big Sky back at eight teams. In 1996 Boise State and Idaho left and at the same time the conference added Portland State, Sacramento State and Cal State Northridge. The Big Sky maintained nine teams for five years before Cal State Northridge departed in the spring of 2001, which gave the Big Sky its current makeup.

MR. CHICKEN
June 13th, 2006, 08:18 PM
BIG SKY HISTORY......STARTED WHIFF DUH "BIG BANG THEORY".......AWK!

xcoffeex xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Tod
June 13th, 2006, 08:28 PM
BIG SKY HISTORY......STARTED WHIFF DUH "BIG BANG THEORY".......AWK!

xcoffeex xprost2x xprost2x xprost2x xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

And we're still going at it! :D :D :D

Maroons
June 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM
The OVC is the nation's 8th oldest conference and was founded in 1948 by the following members:

Eastern Kentucky University (1948-Present)
Evansville (1948-1952)
Louisville (1948-1949)
Morehead State (1948-Present)
Murray State (1948-Present)
Western Kentucky University (1948-1982)

People have been coming and going ever since, mostly from Tennessee:
Marshall (1949-1952)
Tennessee Tech (1949-Present)
Middle Tennessee (1953-2000)
East Tennessee (1957-1978)
Austin Peay (1963-Present)
Akron (1980-1987)
Youngstown St. (1981-1988)
Tennessee St. (1987-Present)
Southeast Missouri (1991-Present)
Tennessee-Martin (1992-Present)
Eastern Illinois (1996-Present)
Jacksonville State (2003-Present)
Samford (2003-Present)

OL FU
June 14th, 2006, 08:58 AM
The OVC is the nation's 8th oldest conference and was founded in 1948 by the following members:

Eastern Kentucky University (1948-Present)
Evansville (1948-1952)
Louisville (1948-1949)
Morehead State (1948-Present)
Murray State (1948-Present)
Western Kentucky University (1948-1982)

People have been coming and going ever since, mostly from Tennessee:
Marshall (1949-1952)
Tennessee Tech (1949-Present)
Middle Tennessee (1953-2000)
East Tennessee (1957-1978)
Austin Peay (1963-Present)
Akron (1980-1987)
Youngstown St. (1981-1988)
Tennessee St. (1987-Present)
Southeast Missouri (1991-Present)
Tennessee-Martin (1992-Present)
Eastern Illinois (1996-Present)
Jacksonville State (2003-Present)
Samford (2003-Present)

Never knew that. If ETSU starts football again..... hey you never know.

Maroons
June 14th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I think Chattanooga is the only I-AA Tennessee school that hasn't had a turn in the OVC!

OL FU
June 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I think Chattanooga is the only I-AA Tennessee school that hasn't had a turn in the OVC!

I think some of their fans would prefer to not be left out:smiley_wi

GOKATS
June 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Right off the Big Sky website:

The Big Sky Conference was established in 1963 by six charter members; Idaho, Idaho State, Gonzaga, Montana, Montana State and Weber State. Those six schools formed the foundation of the Big Sky before the league expanded in 1970 by adding Boise State and Northern Arizona. Gonzaga would leave the Big Sky in 1979 and was replaced by Nevada, which gave the conference eight members. The league grew to nine schools in 1987 when Eastern Washington was admitted.

The 1990’s saw change in the makeup of the league, beginning in 1992 when Nevada departed and put the Big Sky back at eight teams. In 1996 Boise State and Idaho left and at the same time the conference added Portland State, Sacramento State and Cal State Northridge. The Big Sky maintained nine teams for five years before Cal State Northridge departed in the spring of 2001, which gave the Big Sky its current makeup.

UNC- Northern Colorado joins the BSC in 2006, bringing the conference back to 9 teams.

GeauxLions94
June 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Southeastern Louisiana University announces plans to restart its football program.

2005 - SLU begins play in the SLC.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cocky
June 14th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I think some of their fans would prefer to not be left out:smiley_wi

I wished UC would join the OVC. The SOCON keeps getting futher and futher away from UC (I'm talking mileage).

GeauxColonels
June 14th, 2006, 04:50 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I agree. BRILLIANT move on the part of SLU. I feel as though a varsity level football team brings many perks to a campus community and the pros FAR outweigh the CONS (as I'm sure most of you will agree). :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Husky Alum
June 14th, 2006, 05:56 PM
The only Beanpot Trophy that I care about is the ice hockey variety!:D

Which Harvard hasn't won in years...:bawling:

Quit your b-itching.

Last time Northeastern won the damn thing, Ronald Reagan was in the White House!

OL FU
June 15th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I wished UC would join the OVC. The SOCON keeps getting futher and futher away from UC (I'm talking mileage).

I would hate to see them leave, but it does make sense.
Let's ( Socon Fans) hope it does not happen but if it does let's do it in an orderly fashion:nod:

Pard4Life
June 15th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Also, the agreement to form the Colonial/Patriot League began in 1984, not 1986. William & Mary was one of the founding signatories.

Really? I did not know about William and Mary.

It should also be metioned that our conference was formed primarily for football in order for the Ivy schools to have somebody to play. League formation for all other sports soon followed.

And just for fun.. here is our future timeline...

2009 - Patriot League decides to award football scholarships, modifying its origonal founding principles.
2011 - Holy Cross leaves the PL if they don't subscribe to schollies, (I hope they do).
2012 - Patriot League expands to add two new teams.. ? and ??
2014 - The 150th Game.. televised on ESPN! :rotateh: , Lafayette increases their record vs. Lehigh to 8-2 in the last decade. :nod:
2015 - Lafayette wins the national championship, a PL first :D

OL FU
June 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
It should also be metioned that our conference was formed primarily for football in order for the Ivy schools to have somebody to play.

I have heard that before. can you point me to a link or a sourse or just expand on the point.

Pard4Life
June 15th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I have heard that before. can you point me to a link or a sourse or just expand on the point.

I am not sure it is online and it is likely burried amongst the threads, but it can be found in the first chapter or two of the "Last Amatuers". I don't remember the full story off the top of my head, but at the time the Ivies recently went I-AA and they needed OOC games vs. comparable competition. The PL schools had comparable academic profiles and athletic missions, forming a new league around the current PL teams was logical. We all did not come from the same league. Lafayette was DI and Lehigh was DII in the 1970s.

OL FU
June 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I am not sure it is online and it is likely burried amongst the threads, but it can be found in the first chapter or two of the "Last Amatuers". I don't remember the full story off the top of my head, but at the time the Ivies recently went I-AA and they needed OOC games vs. comparable competition. The PL schools had comparable academic profiles and athletic missions, forming a new league around the current PL teams was logical. We all did not come from the same league. Lafayette was DI and Lehigh was DII in the 1970s.

Last Amatuers:nod: I will put it on the list

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 15th, 2006, 05:39 PM
2011 - Holy Cross leaves the PL if they don't subscribe to schollies, (I hope they do).

While I don't give a hoot about Holy Cross, I'm old enough to know about their season ending battles with the Chestnut Hill Beagles and I drive by 22K seat Fitton Field on my way to UNH. Without the PL (and no schollies), they're looking at the MAAC or the Pioneer League, correct? The old alums must be besides themselves! At one time Holy Cross was like Villanova, William & Mary, Richmond, etc. playing a "I-A" schedule then opted for I-AA before the removal of scholarships gutted the program. Even foes of Holy Cross have to feel bad to see this program free fall.

Difficult to figure out Holy Cross. The Patriot is a terrific league for them with like minded schools that emphasize academics. They can still be D-I without having to compete with BC and the larger publics (UConn, UMass, etc.). They passed on an opportunity to move their hockey into the ECACHL with the Ivies and PL mate Colgate. JMHO, but that seemed like a move that would have really cemented HC Athletics into quality without selling the soul. The moves in Worcester just seem so foreign for the Holy Cross I learned to dislike back in the 70's!!

NSUDemon98
June 15th, 2006, 09:05 PM
SLIBFS!

David Thompson, bachelor of music education-2003
Gamma Rho, Fall 1998

EKU05
June 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Never knew that. If ETSU starts football again..... hey you never know.

Actually, after ETSU dropped football they wanted to join the OVC, but the conference turned them down because they didn't have a football team to bring to the table. This outraged a lot of members in the basketball crazy OVC since ETSU has been a solid hoops team in the recent past.

813Jag
June 16th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Good stuff guys:thumbsup: For a young guy like me this is like being in history class without the boring professors. If possible I'd like to know the series records with your rivals.

OL FU
June 16th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Good stuff guys:thumbsup: For a young guy like me this is like being in history class without the boring professors. If possible I'd like to know the series records with your rivals.

What ever the Georgia Southern Eagles tell you, don't believe them:nono: