PDA

View Full Version : Deriso: Reflecting on Grambling's Postseason Past

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Interesting perspectives as Deriso responds to some e-mails he got after a story about Grambling's 1980 football team that despite a 10-1 record got shipped out to Boise St to play an 8-3 squad that'd go on to win a national title...

A few conspiracy theorists in this one! Just took some parts of it, click the link below to read the whole thing...
------------
"No excuse, however, many of us from that era will always believe, if that game was played down south or in better weather conditions, GSU had a Division I-AA championship team - similar to FAMU in 1979," according to one e-mailer. "Conspiracy theorists believe that is why GSU was sent to the north because the tournament could not afford to have back-to-back HBCUs as NCAA Division I-AA champions."

The final tally is 4-5 in NCAA postseason play, but none of those appearances date past a 1990 deal to play Southern on NBC. Ever since, the Tigers have chosen to participate in the Bayou Classic, held on what has become the traditional kick off of the Division I-AA playoffs.

Some fans still say Boise is part of the reason why.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2006/06/post-season-postscript.html

Retro
June 12th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I may be wrong, but i believe back then teams could simply BID on having a home game regardless of seeding, so if Boise State put up the most money, then they got the home game.. I know it was that way until the mid nineties at least..

Also, FAMU won it all in 1978, not 1979, so it wouldn't have been back to back anyway.:read: