PDA

View Full Version : Fordham Remains Ineligible For 2012 PL Title

DFW HOYA
March 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM
http://www.fordhamsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032912aaa.html

Bogus Megapardus
March 29th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Odd that you would title this thread as if it were recent "news." The prohibition against Fordham's eligibility was put in place several years ago. There's been no change in that status, one way or another, since then.

I would guess (and it's just that) that some discussion might take place going forward about altering Fordham's status but for now it remains unchanged, as best as I can tell. So, unless the league votes otherwise, Fordham remains ineligible for the the PL title in 2012.

DFW HOYA
March 29th, 2012, 03:06 PM
It was restated in the release, so that's why it was posted.

So when should be Fordham be eligible, then? Here's the scholarship breakdown by season:

2013: Fordham 60, Lehigh: 15, Lafayette 15, Colgate: 15, HC 15, Bucknell 15, Georgetown 0
2014: Fordham 60, Lehigh: 30, Lafayette 30, Colgate: 30, HC 30, Bucknell 30, Georgetown 0
2015: Fordham 60, Lehigh: 45, Lafayette 45, Colgate: 45, HC 45, Bucknell 45, Georgetown 0
2016: Fordham 60, Lehigh: 60, Lafayette 60, Colgate: 60, HC 60, Bucknell 60, Georgetown 0

carney2
March 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'm with DFW and find this a surprise. I know that no occasions have presented themselves to change the status quo. This announcement however states that Fordham's ineligibility will not be changed for 2012. There does not appear to be any chance that things will change before 2013. Frankly, I expected the League to eventually announce something like

Fordham, you've been a good sport about this and hung with us, even when our bungling presidents kicked the can down the road and extended your stay in purgatory. It's time to end all of this. You have scholarships. Everyone else who wants them also has scholarships. We acknowledge your head start and say the hell with it. Thank you and welcome back.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM
This is a non-story. The PL presidents aren't even meeting right now and won't even bring up the matter until a month or two from now.

It is a bit odd that the release would make mention of it, but there's plenty of time for this to change in time for the 2012 season.

Bogus Megapardus
March 29th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I see it simply as restating existing policy and perhaps reminding readers that the scholarship vote didn't include a vote to change Fordham's eligibility. If there had been a vote affirmatively and specifically excluding Fordham in 2012, I'm sure we'd have known about it through Reinhard or Grollier.

But who knows if Fordham cares or even wants to be in the PL? If the A-10 restarts football, I would guess that Fordham would want to go do that instead.

carney2
March 29th, 2012, 03:39 PM
It is a bit odd that the release would make mention of it, but there's plenty of time for this to change in time for the 2012 season.

Not based on the wording of the Fordham press release there isn't.

Go...gate
March 29th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I'm with DFW and find this a surprise. I know that no occasions have presented themselves to change the status quo. This announcement however states that Fordham's ineligibility will not be changed for 2012. There does not appear to be any chance that things will change before 2013. Frankly, I expected the League to eventually announce something like

Fordham, you've been a good sport about this and hung with us, even when our bungling presidents kicked the can down the road and extended your stay in purgatory. It's time to end all of this. You have scholarships. Everyone else who wants them also has scholarships. We acknowledge your head start and say the hell with it. Thank you and welcome back.

Amen. Let's play ball.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 29th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Not based on the wording of the Fordham press release there isn't.

While the wording says they won't be eligible, to my knowledge there hasn't been a vote on it yet. I will see what I can discover.

TheValleyRaider
March 29th, 2012, 04:15 PM
This is a non-story. The PL presidents aren't even meeting right now and won't even bring up the matter until a month or two from now.

That's what I thought was going to happen. I'm not aware of the League making any statement about Fordham's eligibility for the 2012 season (or beyond, for that matter). Fordham may be restating the status quo for their schedule release, and I figure if the League does let them into the race, that would be worth a release of its own.

In a sense, nothing changes because changes have not yet been discussed (why this couldn't go along with the scholarship announcement is beyond me, but so is most of this process...)

Bogus Megapardus
March 29th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Here's the scholarship breakdown by season:

2013: Fordham 60, Lehigh: 15, Lafayette 15, Colgate: 15, HC 15, Bucknell 15, Georgetown 0
2014: Fordham 60, Lehigh: 30, Lafayette 30, Colgate: 30, HC 30, Bucknell 30, Georgetown 0
2015: Fordham 60, Lehigh: 45, Lafayette 45, Colgate: 45, HC 45, Bucknell 45, Georgetown 0
2016: Fordham 60, Lehigh: 60, Lafayette 60, Colgate: 60, HC 60, Bucknell 60, Georgetown 0

When did the league vote not to allow Georgetown to award scholarships?

DFW HOYA
March 29th, 2012, 11:26 PM
When did the league vote not to allow Georgetown to award scholarships?

The vote was 1-0, with nine abstentions.

RichH2
March 30th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Dont get the surprise here. As far as I can see , just a statement of current policy which will not change until June meeting. June I expect Rams will be restored to full participation for 2013.which ishow I always thought it would play out.With a better coaching staff ,I would anticipate FU to be very competitive this year and formidable next

Engineer86
March 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM
You are talking about Fordham right? xlolxxlolxxlolx

Go...gate
March 30th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Hell, from '86 - 91 we had HC with scholarships and the rest of us without, and those records count. This is nonsense. Fordham should be eligible.

colorless raider
March 30th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Hell, from '86 - 91 we had HC with scholarships and the rest of us without, and those records count. This is nonsense. Fordham should be eligible.

Yeah, and that sucked.

Bogus Megapardus
March 30th, 2012, 10:15 PM

As a PL enthusiast I suppose that I would agree, although the prudent, objective course would be to reintegrate Fordham once the rest of the PL is permitted scholarships, in 2013.

The only reason to give scholarship Fordham a shot at the 2012 title in the otherwise-non-scholarship PL would be situational: for whatever reason, it feels as if scholarship Fordham really hasn't dominated the PL so far, so it probably wouldn't hurt to move things up a bit.

Such an approach would be antithetical to the approach of the science and engineering-based PL though. Its membership as a whole tends to value objective, reasoned foresight over how people might feel about things at a given time-slice.

Or at least I used to believe that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 30th, 2012, 10:17 PM

I think this is a little different. Fordham could have waited for scholarships like Lehigh and Colgate did but they decided to do their own thing thus breaking league rules. Having to wait one more year is justified imo.

In Holy Cross's situation to league would have had to force HC to revoke scholarships to make it "fair"? That obvisouly wasn't going to happen.

Sader87
March 30th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Yeah, and that sucked.

Yea, it sucked so much that after 20+ years, the PL decided to go scholarship after all. Give me a break, like Colgate didn't "play games" with aid during the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's....no way Hubbard, Van eeGhan, Calabria, Gamble et. al. go to Colgate on strictly "financial aid" alone over those years.

Bogus Megapardus
March 30th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Yea, it sucked so much that after 20+ years, the PL decided to go scholarship after all. Give me a break, like Colgate didn't "play games" with aid during the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's....no way Hubbard, Van eeGhan, Calabria, Gamble et. al. go to Colgate on strictly "financial aid" alone over those years.

You will become a PL fan one day, Sader87. I just know it. Basketball is looking pretty good lately, is it not? We're a national "power conference" in lacrosse, right? Very soon scholarship football will yield some notable victories, along with with a chance for the Crusaders to show Boston College something, right? Throw in final four-caliber soccer and field hockey while you're at it.

The grand plan - watching as the "major players" devolve into semi-pro/farm system irrelevance - eventually will materialize. And Holy Cross once again will become the epicenter of "true" college athletics in New England.

That's going to be one heckuva straw for you to stir with, IMHO.

NB: And did anyone happen to miss the fact that Holy Cross beat Boston College in basketball this year? Just sayin' . . . .

Fordham
March 31st, 2012, 06:51 AM
As a PL enthusiast I suppose that I would agree, although the prudent, objective course would be to reintegrate Fordham once the rest of the PL is permitted scholarships, in 2013.

The only reason to give scholarship Fordham a shot at the 2012 title in the otherwise-non-scholarship PL would be situational: for whatever reason, it feels as if scholarship Fordham really hasn't dominated the PL so far, so it probably wouldn't hurt to move things up a bit.

Such an approach would be antithetical to the approach of the science and engineering-based PL though. Its membership as a whole tends to value objective, reasoned foresight over how people might feel about things at a given time-slice.

Or at least I used to believe that.

Agreed

4ufans
March 31st, 2012, 12:39 PM

Agreed
Remember Holy Cross had 4 yrs of schollys when league started!!
2013 is fair and players should be eligable for awards immediatly

Fordham
March 31st, 2012, 01:50 PM
I think this is a little different. Fordham could have waited for scholarships like Lehigh and Colgate did but they decided to do their own thing thus breaking league rules. Having to wait one more year is justified imo.

In Holy Cross's situation to league would have had to force HC to revoke scholarships to make it "fair"? That obvisouly wasn't going to happen.

Even the most anti-Fordham posters grudgingly give us at least a little bit of credit for moving the league to scholarships. Unlike this guy.

The idea that all we had to do was wait for 2012 to roll around and the league would have gotten scholarships then is just plain goofy.

Fwiw, I'm not arguing with the fact that we're not eligible this year, just this nonsense that it was just a matter of waiting for it to roll around in two years.

DFW HOYA
March 31st, 2012, 02:06 PM
It would seem the best course of action is to reinstate Fordham in 2012, but Fordham doesn't enjoy the "most favored nation status" in the PL that full-time members enjoy. It seems every conference has a school or two that gets that, from Texas in the Big 12 to H-Y-P in the Ivy.

One of the frustrations with PL leadership is their lack of long term planning. If they voted for scholarships in February, why not already have this procedural point decided then, or at least announced? What's going to change in the next year?

Then again, this is the same leadership who, when confronted with Georgetown's visible rejection of the plan, could only say: "They just need a little more time", as if the Hoyas are suddenly walking into Media Day in August and announce it was all a big misunderstanding and they're funding 60 scholarships and a 20,000 seat stadium right behind it. Such myopia continues to hold back the PL when what it needs is a little more strategic thinking.

Bogus Megapardus
March 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Such myopia continues to hold back the PL when what it needs is a little more strategic thinking.

And that, my friends, is the minority vote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HArpL8SiUSw