PDA

View Full Version : EKU-Western Carolina game

ekufbfan
June 11th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Any thoughts from WCU fans or So Con fans regarding this season's EKU-WCU game? We are "expecting" bigger things from the Colonels (about time!) than we have seen the past few years. Looks as if we should have a pretty decent offense, good passing game, veteran QB, several good RB's. The defense has held their own the past couple of years, except for the times our offense got us into major trouble. We HOPE this is Coach Hope's breakout year!:thumbsup:

nlwwln
June 11th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I have to say I think EKU has just a good a shot as anyone to win the NC. They seem to have some real quality players who have been in the program a few years now. They consistantly finish in the top tier of the OVC but have had trouble in the past with out of conference teams. I think this is the year EKU makes a serious run. They are definatly a top 10 caliber team in my book this year.

EKU05
June 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM
We may be a top 10 team, but I think NC talk is at least a little premature. We haven't won the OVC in 10 years, and the teams that have beaten us out for the title have been consitantly throttled in round 1 of the post-season. There's reason to believe we could be the best team in the OVC, but what that means on a national scale is suspect to further notice. Having said that...there isn't a game on our schedule I don't think we can win including the Cincy game.

WCU LawCat
June 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Well, I can definately tell you that we will be ready to play! We start the season at home against a weak Division II team. Then we take a week off before EKU comes to Cullowhee.

Ask Furman what happened in Cullowhee last year in the second week of the season. Western had just come off a disappointing opening game vs Mars Hill...winning 21-7.

WCU fans are really looking forward to the game and atmosphere that is should bring.

As for our team, we return a good portion of our solid defense with Don Powers returning to lead. The Offense is a little older now with 2 solid tailbacks and a 4 way battle for the QB job. Two are seniors and have stated entire season for WCU before. One has playing experience with WCU and has a cannon. The 4th is a transfer from Cincinati. That does not include the kid who signed with Syracuse out of HS who played for Milford Academy last season. He will probably be redshirted.

The tallent is there...we just have to put it all together.

EKU05
June 11th, 2006, 02:40 PM
This will be a good test of theories here...WCU will come in untested having faced only a D2 opponent. EKU will have already faced a Big East team as well as played in front of a capacity home crowd in a huge rivlarly game. Either angle has its positive and negative aspects...we'll see what plays out.

ekufbfan
June 11th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I am never as confident on the road as I am at home. However, a win at Cincy and a win against wku and I'll feel much better about our chances against Western Carolina. I was at a EKU-WCU game maybe 15 years ago. I don't remember the score, but I do remember a very scenic area and a nice setting for a stadium. Looking forward to making the trip to the Carolinas!

catamount man
June 11th, 2006, 04:37 PM
This game will be decided in the trenches. We are starting 4 new kids on our OL, but our DL is anchored by preseason 2nd team All-American Felipe Foster and Randy Burch. If our OL can protect our QBs, it's gonna be an interesting game that night in Cullowhee. Hope EKU fans turn out in droves and enjoy themselves...except for the final score.:D ;) Should be a good atmosphere!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!