PDA

View Full Version : What I-AA stadiums are expanding seating ??

Retro
May 23rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
Which I-AA Teams are in the process of expanding seating for this season? Let us know the before and after capacity if the additions are to be done for this upcoming season..

Lapper
May 23rd, 2005, 08:58 PM
If the seats are packed again this year we will be expanding in 2006. You JMU fans who will be visiting Conway will notice what we mean. :o

Grizo406
May 23rd, 2005, 10:14 PM
Which I-AA Teams are in the process of expanding seating for this season? Let us know the before and after capacity if the additions are to be done for this upcoming season..

Talk in Grizville is that more seats, something in the 1500 range is what I'm hearing, and a Press Box renovation are slated to happen at Washington/Grizzly Stadium for the upcoming season.

Nothing concrete at this point, just hearsay.

rokamortis
May 23rd, 2005, 10:55 PM
If the seats are packed again this year we will be expanding in 2006. You JMU fans who will be visiting Conway will notice what we mean. :o

I have by no way confirmed this ... but I *heard* that they may be bringing in some temporary seats. Any other CCU faithful hear anything? I won't believe it until i see it, but we really need them. I wish the stadium was being expanded this year ... but no one expected us to have this much success this soon. I'm hoping that we continue to have another good year and 'force' them to expand in '06.

Tod
May 23rd, 2005, 11:06 PM
Nothing concrete at this point, just hearsay.

Good, because I'm not sure how comfortable hearsay is, but concrete is rough on the butt :asswhip: :asswhip: ;) :D

galojay
May 24th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Western Kentucky is renovating and expanding L.T. Smith Stadium. First phase, move the track from the stadium to another site (should start soon). Second phase: Renovate the existing 18K seat stadium. Third phase: the three-story athletic/academic training facility on the University Blvd end zone. Forth phase: build seating on the other side of the existing stadium. It will be about the same amount of seats as the lower level of the existing seating. Fifth phase: A berm will be built on the Big Red Way end zone. Dirt will be brought in to have a nice slope of grass to provide space for an additional 3k fans. On top of the berm will be replica of the colonnades from the top of the hill. The colonnades will connect the lower level of existing seating with the new seating on the other side. Estimated seating capacity, 25k. Should be completed in 2-3 years.

FightinBluHen51
May 24th, 2005, 08:10 AM
We need more seating, and the rumor mill has it coming, but not for the 2005 season

JMU2004
May 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
JMU is in phase 3 of our upgrades to Bridgeforth.....only problem is that I am not sure what we will do next.

I am thinking that bowling in the endzone is next.....Should put seating in the 17k-20k range, depending on how they do it.

Official current capacity is 13,559....kinda funny when we had 4 games that had over 15,300 attendance.

The Gadfly
May 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM
I don't put faith in the CCU "big wigs" anymore. Whatever happens, happens. They said that there was going to be an athletic admin building at the end of one of the endzones, but now those offices are being built next to the practice fields beside HWY 544. Maybe they are thinking if we do expand the stadium that it will now become a "horseshoe" by building seats where the building was suppose to go? I have no clue. Hopefully we can still pull in people this year with the JMU, Gardner-Webb, and VMI games @ home. It's going to be rough doing it with MANSFIELD :confused: ?

eagle1
May 24th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Last years press box and north end zone expansion raised seating capacity to 8,600 and more expansion plans are in the works but not for next year. They plan to expand the visitor side and possibly build more donor suites on that side but not sure when that phase will actually begin. The total capacity will be around 12,000 when all the phases are complete. They also are looking at putting in field turf in the near future but definitely not before next fall. Go Eagles!!!

Pard94
May 24th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Lafayette's Fisher Field will be undergoing a major overhaul, including expanded seating.

SoCon48
May 24th, 2005, 03:27 PM
App State will be---sometime in the millineum.

GSUBass
May 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM
When GSU builds a new Lupton building, it's going to add about 700 luxury seats in the endzone. That should be happening in the next 3 years or so. Right now they are bricking up the concrete walls so we don't have that 20 years of weather look.

Grizo406
May 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM
... but concrete is rough on the butt :asswhip: :asswhip: ;) :D

I'm one of the lucky ones that have Season Tickets, and very good seats. I wouldn't care if my seats were made of corn cobs, I'd sit on just about anything to watch the Griz at home. Wait a minute...corn cobs? Sit on just about anything? That didn't sound right, if you catch my drift. (please excuse that last, very diluted pun.) ;)

SUjagTILLiDIE
May 24th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Southern University Construction to begin after 05 season.

http://www.subr.edu/stadiumproject/index.htm

TheBisonator
May 25th, 2005, 03:39 AM
It's literally impossible to expand our stadium. Some idiot made a decision to make it impossible to expand the stadium back when they built it in 1992.

OrneryAggie
May 25th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Cal Poly is expanding seating and doing a little beautification along the way. Don't know if it's planned to be done before next season or not.

http://www.calpolymustangs.com/news/20042005/SpanosPledge.html

leatherneck177
May 25th, 2005, 03:49 PM
If Western Kentucky plans to expand to 25,000, where are they going to get all the fans from? I know their basketball draws well and a move to the MAC and D-I will help, but their attendance has been rough if I'm not mistaken.

rokamortis
May 25th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I don't put faith in the CCU "big wigs" anymore. Whatever happens, happens. They said that there was going to be an athletic admin building at the end of one of the endzones, but now those offices are being built next to the practice fields beside HWY 544. Maybe they are thinking if we do expand the stadium that it will now become a "horseshoe" by building seats where the building was suppose to go? I have no clue. Hopefully we can still pull in people this year with the JMU, Gardner-Webb, and VMI games @ home. It's going to be rough doing it with MANSFIELD :confused: ?

I agree that things change and that we will never know for sure what we are going to get until we get it ... but I have under good authority that the endzone facility is still in the plans but we just don't have the funds to build it just yet. The building you are talking about will be for temporary athletic office use until the endzone facility is built. The building will then be used by another university department.

So they are still trying to work it out, just hard to do when you don't have the $$$.

Hansel
May 25th, 2005, 06:45 PM
It's literally impossible to expand our stadium. Some idiot made a decision to make it impossible to expand the stadium back when they built it in 1992.
How many expandable indoor stadiums have you seen. If we sell it out we can average 19k a game- I can live with that.

Doo Cane 4 ever
May 25th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I heard that the Duquesne admin is going to provide a lawnchair for the water boy - does that count ??

HEY DUQUESNE ADMIN - BUILD A NEW STADIUM NOW :bang:

galojay
May 25th, 2005, 07:34 PM
If Western Kentucky plans to expand to 25,000, where are they going to get all the fans from? I know their basketball draws well and a move to the MAC and D-I will help, but their attendance has been rough if I'm not mistaken.

Good Question. WKU has averaged right under 10k. Last year was a weather nightmare for the Toppers, homecoming brought a flood.

Paladin1aa
May 25th, 2005, 09:34 PM
YSU's "Ice Castle" holds 20,850 and plans for increases to 25k & 30k are already made. 25k plan puts seating in one endzone and the 30k would add an Upper deck on the visitors side + the endzone.

When ?? Certainly after the bad patch is over and attendance goes back up. Future plans on hold right now.

igo4uni
May 25th, 2005, 09:47 PM
How many expandable indoor stadiums have you seen. If we sell it out we can average 19k a game- I can live with that.

We have the same "problem" with the fabulous UNI-Dome. Unfortunately, it is rare to reach the capacity attendance level of just over 16,000.

peace

igo4uni

JMU Duke Dog
May 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Bridgeforth Stadium is currently undergoing construction upgrades and expansions in various stages. No exact public timelines are set for certain phases, but here is the website link with more information.

http://www.jmusports.com/BFS/Vision.asp

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 25th, 2005, 10:37 PM
YSU's "Ice Castle" holds 20,850 and plans for increases to 25k & 30k are already made. 25k plan puts seating in one endzone and the 30k would add an Upper deck on the visitors side + the endzone.>>

Does YSU really need a 30k seat stadium? To me that just seems like a bit of overkill. There doesn't seem like a large enough visitor following in the Gateway to add the extra seats. Also how would the second deck on the visitor side work? If i remember isn't there a 4 lane highway directly behind the stands? What was the highest average attendance for YSU during their run in the 90's? BTW, I used to live in Austintown eons ago.

arkstfan
May 25th, 2005, 10:38 PM
You mean if they move football to I-A. ;)

I don't think there is an if involved other than the "if" the MAC invites them. All my reliable folks tell me WKU is targeting to be I-A in 2008. Hearing a lot of chatter that the MAC is going to pass.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 25th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Either Lehigh's president or AD stated at halftime during Lehigh-Lafayette a couple years ago there were discussions to expand the seating of Goodman. They said the upper sections on both side would add on a section on either end to meet up with the bottom sections. If this would be done it would probably bring the seating capacity to about 20,000, and overall stadium capacity to about 25,000 if you include the bank. Until Lehigh starts bringing in UD, Furman, Montana or GSU this isn't likely to happen. However if they can get some marquee matchups at Goodman i certaintly could see a need for expansion. However, with Lafayettes plans to revamp and add seating to Fischer i could see a move to update the stadium in some way. As nice of a place as Goodman is, it's closing in on 20 years and anything after 20 years needs some updating IMO. I would like another scoreboard opposite of the current on. It's often difficult to read if your sitting on the same side of the 50 as the scoreboard. Also i think a jumbotron would be a cool addition as well. As much money as Lehigh has and the success of the program i don't it's an unreasonable request.

ngineer
May 25th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Either Lehigh's president or AD stated at halftime during Lehigh-Lafayette a couple years ago there were discussions to expand the seating of Goodman. They said the upper sections on both side would add on a section on either end to meet up with the bottom sections. If this would be done it would probably bring the seating capacity to about 20,000, and overall stadium capacity to about 25,000 if you include the bank. Until Lehigh starts bringing in UD, Furman, Montana or GSU this isn't likely to happen. However if they can get some marquee matchups at Goodman i certaintly could see a need for expansion. However, with Lafayettes plans to revamp and add seating to Fischer i could see a move to update the stadium in some way. As nice of a place as Goodman is, it's closing in on 20 years and anything after 20 years needs some updating IMO. I would like another scoreboard opposite of the current on. It's often difficult to read if your sitting on the same side of the 50 as the scoreboard. Also i think a jumbotron would be a cool addition as well. As much money as Lehigh has and the success of the program i don't it's an unreasonable request.

I would be surprised at any expansion of Goodman in near future. Not enough games that get close to capacity (we'd probably get 20,000 every other year for Lafayette). You're right that some bigger name opponents could help push that, but I don't see that happening easily, either (There were only 13,000 for Villanova last year) .The grass horseshoe probably can hold about 4,000 if packed, and once there was talk of making that area 'permenant' or concrete and bench seats, since rain prevents sitting there, and it seams a good chunk of the students prefer the bank.
As for the scoreboard, sometimes it's difficult to read on a bright sunny day as the sun bleaches out the numerals. They did 'juice' the numerals shorly after the stadium opened to address that, but it still could be contrasted better--perhps by putting dark brown areas around the numeral areas. Although Lehigh has 'a lot of money' it's not in the athletic dept. I don't see any such upgrades unless an alumnus 'sugardaddy' steps forward to do it. I still have kids in college, so it won't be me. :D :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 25th, 2005, 11:28 PM
don't see any such upgrades unless an alumnus 'sugardaddy' steps forward to do it. I still have kids in college, so it won't be me. >>

The only reason i think there might be some upgrades is Lehigh has shown they like to stay ontop of their athletic facilities. Goodman is going to be 20 years old soon so i would have to believe they'll do something to keep it "fresh". Lehigh recently renovated Stabler, which at the time wasn't much older than Goodman is now. Stabler really didn't need it, but i think the school takes a lot of pride in all of it's facilites, athletically and academically. That's what makes me believe they'll do something in the next couple years. I agree that stadium expansion really isn't needed but i believe their are two things that could change that. More marquee home games or rise in demand for chairbacks. If they would increase the number of chairbacks on the homeside then i think they would be forced to add seats atleast on the homeside. It's already difficult to get a good seat sometimes on the homeside during parents week etc. when they have half of the home side sections roped off.

Paladin1aa
May 26th, 2005, 10:24 AM
TU owl -- The YSU plans were done during Tressel's career. I would agree that the Gateway does not travel well. YSU had several seasons of 17-19k attendance.

The plans were put forth when YSU was looking at I-A and the MAC. However, the "black-balls" cast by Akron & Kent St. killed an otherwise move to the MAC & I-A. Studies showed 25k attendance in I-A and escalating .

My best guess is the additions will be done if I-A is re-considered again or a start ( end-zone for 25k ) for future attendance increase with better FB.

leatherneck177
May 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I agree with the bad weather deal. I know that when I went to WIU I was there during our best attendance years when we averaged 15-16,000 a game. However the days when the weather was awful we were lucky to get around 10,000.
I also agree with the poor travel of the Gateway fans. I do realize that Macomb is not the most convenient place to get to, but I expect better. UNI, WKU, and YSU have all traveled well when their teams have been competitive.
What I'm wondering is how well other leagues generally travel?

NEZ
May 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM
For the most part I don't think any league travels well across the board. There are several schools that travel well (UD & Montana for example) unless it's a rival game
in your conference. Delaware sells out many home games because our fan base
not because the A-10 travels well.

Paladin1aa
May 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM
YSU , as a team, travels extremely well .Road trips in the Gateway will testify to that. I-A games produce 10-20k on the road. I-AA championships easily produced 15-20k at Marshall.

Pitt game this year will be 10-15k following two back to back losing seasons. When a winner is back, attendance home or road will soar.

laparka316
May 26th, 2005, 05:19 PM
We are actually reducing the seating at Drake with the remodel that started on Monday, going from 18,000 down to about 15,000. The first 3 rows of seats around the whole stadium are being ripped out in order to expand our track surrounding the field. The goal is for the new track to get NCAA Regionals, the NCAA Championship, and the US Olympic Trials, since Drake Stadium is a track stadium first (the Drake Relays is one of the largest track meets in the nation, 40th straight Saturday 18,000 seat sell out this year) and a football stadium second. They are also losing the sunken in infield, and putting down field-turf so that the soccer and football teams can both play in the stadium following the remodel. Drake will play it's home games this year at Valley High School in West Des Moines, at Valley Stadium which seats about 10,000 and also has field turf.

Picture of Bulldozers with story (http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050524/SPORTS0204/505240396/1091/SPORTS02)

Picture of full stadium, with renovation story (http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050417/SPORTS0204/504170359)