PDA

View Full Version : App State Pro Day

smallcollegefbfan
March 15th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I was sent this press release today. Hate to see ASU closes it's pro day down to media and general public. Schools should have tickets on sale for like 5 bucks and allow the media to cover the events on the field. Most BCS schools do like USC, Alabama, South Carolina, etc. Don't see why a school would shut it down.

Appalachian State University football will hold its annual Pro Day on Monday, March 19. As in years past, Pro Day workouts will be treated as job interviews and will not be open to media or the general public. However, ASU athletics invites all media to a press conference following the conclusion of workouts at approximately 5 p.m. ASU strength and conditioning coach/NFL liaison Kareem Young and ASU NFL hopefuls Brian Quick, DeAndre Presley and Travaris Cadet will all participate in the press conference. Additional former Mountaineers aspiring for professional football careers may also be available.

Following the conclusion of the press conference, media are invited to attend Appalachian's spring football practice, which will also begins at 5 p.m. Head coach Jerry Moore and current ASU players will be available for interviews following the conclusion of practice.

Media wishing to attend Monday's press conference are asked to RSVP to Mike Flynn ([email protected] or 828-262-2845) by no later than NOON on Monday.

The Cats
March 15th, 2012, 08:08 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvw400z7021qae6vd.jpg

Apphole
March 16th, 2012, 06:24 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvw400z7021qae6vd.jpg

Let's hear about Western's pro day....

Oh wait, you haven't had a decent player in a decade

phoenix3
March 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I'm a little surprised Quick will be working out for the App pro day. He pretty much made a statement at the combine and everyone was impressed. IMO, if he's a little off for what ever reason, it could hurt him.

T-Dog
March 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM
There was a general feeling among knowledgeable App fans that Quick's combine numbers weren't his best. The risk is about the same as the reward in this case. Presley, on the other hand, has a lot to gain as does Cadet.

Smitty
March 16th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Let's hear about Western's pro day....

Oh wait, you haven't had a decent player in a decade

So how is Armanti Edwards doing?

ASUMountaineer
March 16th, 2012, 09:14 AM

He's making a lot more money than I am, and probably more than you. He's also on an NFL roster. Meanwhile, I can see BOA Stadium from my office, but I'll never get to set foot on the field during a game as he has. So, I'd say AE is doing quite well.

AppAlum2003
March 16th, 2012, 09:15 AM

Returned every single punt for the Carolina Panthers last year and saw some time at WR... thanks for asking! xthumbsupx

asumike83
March 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I wish there were a Western guy on an NFL roster so I could make a clever retort asking how they're doing but there is not. Alas, I am at a loss for a witty response.

StorminASU
March 16th, 2012, 10:33 AM

Let us, for a moment, assume AE never returned a punt last year, never joined the panthers, never made it to the NFL; you still have no room to talk whatsoever. We've got far more active guys in the NFL than WCU does. Also, assuming AE never got to the NFL, we can focus on his college achievements, where he was pulled from every game versus WCU (didn't need him as we still handled the game) except one; if my memory serves me correctly, we won that game by 44. Go back to your hole WCU trash.

Smitty
March 16th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Go back to your hole WCU trash.

Ouch WCU trash...

Either way the only player that has done anything that is currently active is Jason Hunter. The rest are 3rd string/practice squad players, so keep bragging...

Oh yeah based on you defending AE not by his NFL achievements, tells me all I need to know...

whoanellie
March 16th, 2012, 11:45 AM
IF and when AE lasts as long in the NFL as Brad Hoover then and only then can you somewhat compare careers.
I wish there were a Western guy on an NFL roster so I could make a clever retort asking how they're doing but there is not. Alas, I am at a loss for a witty response.

Horseshoe App
March 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM
You were the first one to pull up Brad Hoover. Brad Hoover was a very good pro and was much more productive than Armanti has been. The verdict is still out on that one. However, if you want to start comparing pros from each college, I believe we got both WCU and Elon beat. Guys like Dexter Coakley and Dino Hackett come to mind for ASU. Of course Chattown can chime in any moment with some unmentioned receiver and claim UTC to be the route to the pros:)

IF and when AE lasts as long in the NFL as Brad Hoover then and only then can you somewhat compare careers.

ASUMountaineer
March 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
You were the first one to pull up Brad Hoover. Brad Hoover was a very good pro and was much more productive than Armanti has been. The verdict is still out on that one. However, if you want to start comparing pros from each college, I believe we got both WCU and Elon beat. Guys like Dexter Coakley and Dino Hackett come to mind for ASU. Of course Chattown can chime in any moment with some unmentioned receiver and claim UTC to be the route to the pros:)

I was curious as to why whoanellie went to the past to pull up WCU's best NFL player, but neglected to do the same for ASU. xlolx

ASUMountaineer
March 16th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Ouch WCU trash...

Either way the only player that has done anything that is currently active is Jason Hunter. The rest are 3rd string/practice squad players, so keep bragging...

Oh yeah based on you defending AE not by his NFL achievements, tells me all I need to know...

Did you not like my response? I did not talk trash...I also did not speak to anything but the facts regarding his NFL career.

fc97
March 16th, 2012, 12:48 PM
elon has rich mcgeorge, a first round pick and one of the best tight ends of his time

im sure youll say that was long ago, but even then so what, he was good

but this isnt about elon

Saint3333
March 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Ouch WCU trash...

Really - http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14170/dj-smith

WCU fans attempting to start a pissing match about the quality of players that come through ASU, unbelievable.

http://www.playattherock.com/asu-nfl-players.php

asumike83
March 16th, 2012, 01:06 PM

I wasn't comparing anyone's careers, merely pointing out the irony of Western fans criticizing AE's production when they don't have a single player on an active roster. If we are comparing careers of retired players that played different positions though, I'd say Dexter Coakley's 3 Pro Bowls in a 10-year career match up pretty well with what Hoover did. I like Brad Hoover (HOOOOV!) a lot, just having a little fun with our Catamount friends.

StorminASU
March 16th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ouch WCU trash...

You were discounting his NFL career, so I simply pointed out that if you're right and AE turns out to have a bust NFL career, someone besides a WCU grad should do the gloating/rubbing it in.

Apphole
March 16th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Here's a win for WCU

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/component/k2/item/6522-wcu-beats-asu-in-%E2%80%98battle-of-the-plug%E2%80%99

It was a contest to see which school could use less power in the dorms. Totally unfair though since WCU only has electricity in 3 buildings on campus.

Mr. C
March 16th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Ouch WCU trash...

Corey Lynch started at safety for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this season. Both Lynch and Jason Hunter have been significant special teams performers during their NFL careers. You are really barking up the wrong tree.

asumike83
March 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Corey Lynch started at safety for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this season. Both Lynch and Jason Hunter have been significant special teams performers during their NFL careers. You are really barking up the wrong tree.

D.J. Smith started 3-4 games for the Packers too and was a great special teams player. Ended up with about 50 tackles and an INT his rookie season.

Smitty
March 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Here's a win for WCU

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/component/k2/item/6522-wcu-beats-asu-in-%E2%80%98battle-of-the-plug%E2%80%99

It was a contest to see which school could use less power in the dorms. Totally unfair though since WCU only has electricity in 3 buildings on campus.

I blame the long SoCon tourney run...

chattownmocs
March 16th, 2012, 03:12 PM
There was a general feeling among knowledgeable App fans that Quick's combine numbers weren't his best. The risk is about the same as the reward in this case. Presley, on the other hand, has a lot to gain as does Cadet.

They aren't very knowledgeable apparently. He put up very good numbers. NFL combine numbers are almost exclusively worse than pro day or spring practice numbers.

smallcollegefbfan
March 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Ouch WCU trash...

Alright guys stop taking shots. I mean ASU and WCU BOTH have had busts in the NFL. I was one who said AE would do nothing in the NFL. It's no shock he hasn't but in all fairness he has not been given a great chance.

Hoover was a slight surprise being undrafted and Coakley for App was exactly what everyone who knew the deal thought he would be. The recent App guys have all been busts except for Hunter or they were undrafted or late round guys who did what was expected.

One thing App has over WCU is recent success (last 15-20 years) in college, which is what mostly matters, and somehow ASU has fooled NFL teams into drafting more players than they should have.

ASU has had some success with Hunter, Lynch, and then Smith had a decent rookie year.

Either way, neither school can really brag about putting a lot of quality guys in the NFL as of late but ASU has put a couple and WCU has put none so far.

Might not want to judge Kilgore, LeGree, and Smith too harsh because they are so early in their careers that any of them could be fine or out of the NFL in 2 years.

smallcollegefbfan
March 18th, 2012, 11:43 AM
They aren't very knowledgeable apparently. He put up very good numbers. NFL combine numbers are almost exclusively worse than pro day or spring practice numbers.

His numbers were solid but not great. Quick can do better and I expect him to at his pro day. Here are his official numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine:

Name: Brian Quick
School: Appalachian St
Pos: WO
Ht: 6034
Wt: 220
Hand: 9 3/4
Arm: 34 1/4
Wingspan: 80 7/8
Bench: 15
10-yard: 1.59-1.61 HT; 1.63-1.64 ET
20-yard: 2.53-2.62 HT; 2.68 ET
40-yard: 4.50-4.59 HT; 4.55-4.60 ET
VJ: 34
BJ: 9’9-9’11
20: 4.23
60: no run
3-cone: 7.10-7.12

smallcollegefbfan
March 18th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Not talking smack but Elon really can't talk here after Nkang and Hudgins did nothing. I know you thought they would but I'm telling you Mellette is the guy. Mark that down! Mellette is better than Hudgins and it's not even close. Don't pay attention to stats. Mellette is taller, faster, better hands, and a better overall player. Just watch. He's just a notch below Quick. I have him in the 4th round on my early board.

chattownmocs
March 18th, 2012, 04:43 PM
His numbers were solid but not great. Quick can do better and I expect him to at his pro day. Here are his official numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine:

Name: Brian Quick
School: Appalachian St
Pos: WO
Ht: 6034
Wt: 220
Hand: 9 3/4
Arm: 34 1/4
Wingspan: 80 7/8
Bench: 15
10-yard: 1.59-1.61 HT; 1.63-1.64 ET
20-yard: 2.53-2.62 HT; 2.68 ET
40-yard: 4.50-4.59 HT; 4.55-4.60 ET
VJ: 34
BJ: 9’9-9’11
20: 4.23
60: no run
3-cone: 7.10-7.12

I dont have any doubt that his numbers will be better. That doesn't mean that he actually did better in reality.

citdog
March 18th, 2012, 06:44 PM
actually the school from the SoCon who has the most recent success in placing players into the NFL who actually play is The Citadel.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_982w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2011/11/01/Sports/Images/NFLRankings8008.jpg

Cortez

http://ogdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/andre-roberts.jpg

Andre

Saint3333
March 18th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Alright guys stop taking shots. I mean ASU and WCU BOTH have had busts in the NFL. I was one who said AE would do nothing in the NFL. It's no shock he hasn't but in all fairness he has not been given a great chance.

Hoover was a slight surprise being undrafted and Coakley for App was exactly what everyone who knew the deal thought he would be. The recent App guys have all been busts except for Hunter or they were undrafted or late round guys who did what was expected.

One thing App has over WCU is recent success (last 15-20 years) in college, which is what mostly matters, and somehow ASU has fooled NFL teams into drafting more players than they should have.

ASU has had some success with Hunter, Lynch, and then Smith had a decent rookie year.

Either way, neither school can really brag about putting a lot of quality guys in the NFL as of late but ASU has put a couple and WCU has put none so far.

Might not want to judge Kilgore, LeGree, and Smith too harsh because they are so early in their careers that any of them could be fine or out of the NFL in 2 years.

You missed on DJ.

Mr. C
March 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM
You missed on DJ.

Missed what? D.J. Smith was picked within the range that he said Smith could be picked.

Saint3333
March 19th, 2012, 07:43 AM
We can recall the 10 posts back and forth we had last year in which I argued that DJ would be the better pro than LeGree, he disagreed.

He actually thought DJ would be a FA. DJ may not have the measurables, but he has one of the better football IQs to ever come through ASU.

AppAlum2003
March 19th, 2012, 08:20 AM
actually the school from the SoCon who has the most recent success in placing players into the NFL who actually play is The Citadel.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_982w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2011/11/01/Sports/Images/NFLRankings8008.jpg

Cortez

http://ogdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/andre-roberts.jpg

Andre

Agreed. It was funny... you know how some NFL teams just have a certain persona... when the Steelers drafted Cortez all I could think was "yeah... he's definitely a Steelers guy." He played well last year and only has up to go.

AppStateold299
March 19th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Ouch WCU trash...

Corey Lynch has done pretty good in the NFL. He is doing better and better every year.

asumike83
March 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Agreed. It was funny... you know how some NFL teams just have a certain persona... when the Steelers drafted Cortez all I could think was "yeah... he's definitely a Steelers guy." He played well last year and only has up to go.

Was not surprised to see Andre Roberts succeed either. That kid was a beast.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 08:39 AM
We can recall the 10 posts back and forth we had last year in which I argued that DJ would be the better pro than LeGree, he disagreed.

He actually thought DJ would be a FA. DJ may not have the measurables, but he has one of the better football IQs to ever come through ASU.

And until the combine was considered a free agent but before the draft I said he would go in the 6th-PFA range and would go behind LeGree and Kilgore. He did just that. The only thing that surprised me is I didn't know he would get that much playing time because the injuries happened and he was better than expected. But, he still struggled to shed blocks at times. He is a solid backup and special teams player but I don't see him as a starter. And the Packers don't see him as a starter either or else he would have played even more and would have been drafted higher. Potential starters are taken in rounds 1-4, according to the grading scale I have from the NFL.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Was not surprised to see Andre Roberts succeed either. That kid was a beast.

Roberts struggled at first but got better and proved my third round grade right.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Here is my look at back the App players since 2005 with what I said on them and how they did:

Corey Lynch- I said 6th round and a backup on defense who plays well on special teams. That has happened. He was never a 4th round guy like many thought he might be.
Marques Murrell- I said PFA who might go in the 7th round and would be a backup role player. Said he would probably last 4-5 years, at least 3. That has been true.
Jason Hunter- I said 6th or 7th round but was wrong there. He went undrafted. Although, he has been solid when he played and lived up to the value I said he had. If he had more football IQ I would have had a 4th round grade on him and I think he would have gone in the 5th round, at least.
Kerry Brown- I said 6th-7th before the draft. He went undrafted and was on his way to making the team before he got hurt. Signed a injury settlement and decided to give it up before he hurt his back further. So that was wrong but due to injury.
Armanti Edwards- I said he would go 3rd or 4th round, he went late 3rd, and I said he would not be a QB and was over drafted. I gave him a 6th round grade and that might have been too high.
Dexter Jackson- I said late 3rd and he went late 2nd but I also said I gave him a 6th round grade, only due to special teams, and he never played there. I said bust and he has been.
Daniel Kilgore- I said before the combine he was rising and would get drafted. I said 5th or 6th round and he went 5th round. He showed he could be a solid player later on. I remember nobody from App saying anything on him and he was unlisted on the internet until my projection of him going to the combine was right.
Mark LeGree- Said he would go 5th round and be App's first draft pick. He was. He went to Seattle which we all know has been screwy at times and got cut. He is with the 49ers now on their active roster.
DJ Smith- I said 6th-PFA but way before the draft said I would not draft him. He ended up the 3rd App player picked like I said despite Mike Flynn and everyone at ASU saying it would be DJ all along. DJ is a great FCS player and I said he was. I always named him as an All-American but I think people reached on him some trying to find the next Dexter Coakley. He isn't Coakley, not even close. Coakley was a rookie of the year and led his team in tackles every year. Smith did well on special teams and was a solid fill-in when a player was injured.

The rest such as Richie Williams, Orlebar, etc. were camp bodies or rejects on my list and they all got cut so that was fairly accurate.

To be fair, it's still very early in the careers of Smith, LeGree, and Kilgore so I could be proven right or wrong on them.

But no I have not been 100% dead on in everything but I have been pretty close and haven't been completely wrong either on anyone. DJ got on the field earlier due to injuries and Kerry quit early due to injuries. I should put a disclaimer on anything I say that says "injuries can affected projections". I'm glad Smith is playing and I hope he does well. He has done more than I thought he would even when pushed into the lineup but when he played he looked like a good backup to me. I'll be shocked if he ever becomes a regular starter. I'm sure he will fill in some because GB has had the injury bug so don't be surprised if he ends up starting a few games.

ASUMountaineer
March 19th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I dont have any doubt that his numbers will be better. That doesn't mean that he actually did better in reality.

I guess tin foil hats are cool...xlolx

Saint3333
March 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM
And until the combine was considered a free agent but before the draft I said he would go in the 6th-PFA range and would go behind LeGree and Kilgore. He did just that. The only thing that surprised me is I didn't know he would get that much playing time because the injuries happened and he was better than expected. But, he still struggled to shed blocks at times. He is a solid backup and special teams player but I don't see him as a starter. And the Packers don't see him as a starter either or else he would have played even more and would have been drafted higher. Potential starters are taken in rounds 1-4, according to the grading scale I have from the NFL.

All I said what you missed on DJ, which you did, as did every team in the earlier rounds that passed on him. Every "nfl expert" gets them wrong. Just most people don't hold them accountable. I'd love to see someone put together an analysis of how Kiper has done projecting talent since 2000.

On a less talented team DJ would get more reps, the Packers have a great group of LBs. I think the Packers are very happy with what they are getting from DJ, being a 6th round pick.

Did you find the link to the thread I mentioned earlier it would be great to relive our posts now.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 09:12 AM
All I said what you missed on DJ, which you did, as did every team in the earlier rounds that passed on him. Every "nfl expert" gets them wrong. Just most people don't hold them accountable. I'd love to see someone put together an analysis of how Kiper has done projecting talent since 2000.

On a less talented team DJ would get more reps, the Packers have a great group of LBs. I think the Packers are very happy with what they are getting from DJ, being a 6th round pick.

Did you find the link to the thread I mentioned earlier it would be great to relive our posts now.

No you don't want that! Kiper would get laughed out of the business. It's pretty bad. He and McShay have bad misses.

But I'll argue that many times NFL teams and everyone misses because a player sustains injuries and some even get egos and don't work hard or let the fame get to their heads. I would say out of every 10 misses only about 2-3 were that the player was graded totally wrong.

And on Smith I said he would be the 3rd ASU player drafted- check
I said he would not get drafted during the season- wrong
I said just before the draft 6th or 7th round- check
I said he would be a backup or practice squad guy and without injury he was- so not dead on but close

Basically, based on what I said coming into the season I was wrong but softened my stance after the season and was mostly right. Maybe I should shut up on guys until the combine and pro days are done so that way if I upgrade or downgrade a guy you will only see my final thoughts? lol

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 09:14 AM
UNC sent this email out to media. How come their pro day is open to the media but ASU closes theirs? ASU use to allow the media. Don't know why they are suddenly changing their view in the last couple years since the pro day has ALWAYS been a "job interview". Schools should sale tickets for $2-3 to fans and invite ALL media to come cover the event.

North Carolina will hold its annual NFL Pro Timing Day on Tuesday, March 20. Media are allowed to attend the outdoor drills (40-yard dash, pro agility, l-drill, etc.), which begin at approximately 10:30 from the Navy Practice Fields.
Media should park in the Rams Head parking deck (minimal hourly rate).
Following the conclusion of their individual workouts, players will be available to the media.
Please check in with me at the fields when you arrive to receive a credential.

asumike83
March 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I said he would be a backup or practice squad guy and without injury he was- so not dead on but close

I don't think you were way off-base on D.J. by any means, but I do think he out performed pretty much everyone's expectations. Going into the season, I was just hoping he'd get a little bit of playing time as a rookie and not be a practice squad player, considering all the LB talent on that team.

However, he ended up being one of Green Bay's better special teams players and when asked to step in due to injury, he performed pretty well. He came in after a mid-game injury and basically got starter reps for 3.5 games. He ended up with 33 tackles, 1 INT and 1 PD in that time. You were right that he did not always shed blockers as well as he should have but for a rookie that did not have the benefit of training camp in a lockout year, I think he did an admirable job learning the system and being in the right place more times than not. That small sample, along with 10 special teams tackles in his other 14 games, all adds up to a pretty nice rookie campaign for a kid that went in the 6th round.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I don't think you were way off-base on D.J. by any means, but I do think he out performed pretty much everyone's expectations. Going into the season, I was just hoping he'd get a little bit of playing time as a rookie and not be a practice squad player, considering all the LB talent on that team.

However, he ended up being one of Green Bay's better special teams players and when asked to step in due to injury, he performed pretty well. He came in after a mid-game injury and basically got starter reps for 3.5 games. He ended up with 33 tackles, 1 INT and 1 PD in that time. You were right that he did not always shed blockers as well as he should have but for a rookie that did not have the benefit of training camp in a lockout year, I think he did an admirable job learning the system and being in the right place more times than not. That small sample, along with 10 special teams tackles in his other 14 games, all adds up to a pretty nice rookie campaign for a kid that went in the 6th round.

Definitely. He had a solid rookie year and now either becomes a solid backup and special teams guy who gives them quality reps or is a one year wonder. I hope he does well and doesn't fizzle out like many rookies do because he certainly showed he could be better than most thought he could.

Saint3333
March 19th, 2012, 12:02 PM
No you don't want that! Kiper would get laughed out of the business. It's pretty bad. He and McShay have bad misses.

But I'll argue that many times NFL teams and everyone misses because a player sustains injuries and some even get egos and don't work hard or let the fame get to their heads. I would say out of every 10 misses only about 2-3 were that the player was graded totally wrong.

Basically, based on what I said coming into the season I was wrong but softened my stance after the season and was mostly right. Maybe I should shut up on guys until the combine and pro days are done so that way if I upgrade or downgrade a guy you will only see my final thoughts? lol

If I recall our debate correctly we were discussing if Legree or Smith would be the better pro, I liked DJ's football IQ and drive, while you pointed to Legree superior natural ability. I enjoy your analysis more so than most guys out there and appreciate the insight on FCS players. I just had a vested interest in DJ, great guy, definitely a "Professional". Keep up the good work, just had to give you a hard time about DJ.

ASUMountaineer
March 19th, 2012, 12:42 PM
UNC sent this email out to media. How come their pro day is open to the media but ASU closes theirs? ASU use to allow the media. Don't know why they are suddenly changing their view in the last couple years since the pro day has ALWAYS been a "job interview". Schools should sale tickets for $2-3 to fans and invite ALL media to come cover the event.

North Carolina will hold its annual NFL Pro Timing Day on Tuesday, March 20. Media are allowed to attend the outdoor drills (40-yard dash, pro agility, l-drill, etc.), which begin at approximately 10:30 from the Navy Practice Fields.
Media should park in the Rams Head parking deck (minimal hourly rate).
Following the conclusion of their individual workouts, players will be available to the media.
Please check in with me at the fields when you arrive to receive a credential.

I don't know the reasons, and would be interested to know why. I also would be willing to cough up some $ to see the pro-day. Is there any possibility they let the athletes make the decision?

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 02:29 PM
If I recall our debate correctly we were discussing if Legree or Smith would be the better pro, I liked DJ's football IQ and drive, while you pointed to Legree superior natural ability. I enjoy your analysis more so than most guys out there and appreciate the insight on FCS players. I just had a vested interest in DJ, great guy, definitely a "Professional". Keep up the good work, just had to give you a hard time about DJ.

I know. I appreciate it. DJ is doing what I said time and time again he had to do. He's playing inside linebacker. And if you notice when I saw him at ILB I seemed higher on him. Can't play OLB in the NFL but is a possible ILB. Funny how moving a guy to a different position can move him from free agent to 6th round! :)

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I don't know the reasons, and would be interested to know why. I also would be willing to cough up some $ to see the pro-day. Is there any possibility they let the athletes make the decision?

Not unless you go to Cobb. From what I have heard and my dealings with ASU Mike Flynn is a control freak, in my opinion at least. He wants to dictate everything and he is going to keep the fans and media out of the pro day unless Cobb pushes him to let them in.

Ask any media members on this board what they think about Flynn. I haven't heard flattering things but I'm not here to bash. Just telling you why I think they aren't allowed. Simply put that Flynn wants control.

ASUMountaineer
March 19th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Not unless you go to Cobb. From what I have heard and my dealings with ASU Mike Flynn is a control freak, in my opinion at least. He wants to dictate everything and he is going to keep the fans and media out of the pro day unless Cobb pushes him to let them in.

Ask any media members on this board what they think about Flynn. I haven't heard flattering things but I'm not here to bash. Just telling you why I think they aren't allowed. Simply put that Flynn wants control.

Interesting. Did the pro days stop being opened when he arrived, or is this recent? I must admit, I'm not sure.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Interesting. Did the pro days stop being opened when he arrived, or is this recent? I must admit, I'm not sure.

Like I said I don't mean to bash but I do know the word on the street is that Flynn is controlling and that policy changed once he got there.

ThompsonThe
March 19th, 2012, 07:17 PM
If Appalachian State has 3 NFL Draft Picks this year,
It will equal the three they had last year,
and they had 3 for the couple of years before that.
Not to mention the many that got on NFL rosters that were not drafted.

So do not understand the one comment about having a couple of NFL draft picks.
The 3 NFL Draft Picks last year was more than the entire NFL draft picks of Conference-USA
(the Conference USA that lost all those schools to the Big East).

Football players have a better chance of being drafted from Appalachian State than virtually any other college in the country, other than the traditional SEC type schools.

Is that a good thing, seems like it would be.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 07:53 PM

The 3 NFL Draft Picks last year was more than the entire NFL draft picks of Conference-USA

Football players have a better chance of being drafted from Appalachian State than virtually any other college in the country, other than the traditional SEC type schools.

App will have 1 or 2 this year. No chance Cadet will get drafted. I would be shocked if he was.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM

App will have 1 or 2 this year. No chance Cadet will get drafted. I would be shocked if he was.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM
App pro day article. Basically says 26 teams showed up and App won't release info. Don't know why ASU doesn't release info.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205400535&SPSID=104458&SPID=12811&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500#

AppAlum2003
March 19th, 2012, 08:05 PM
App pro day article. Basically says 26 teams showed up and App won't release info. Don't know why ASU doesn't release info.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205400535&SPSID=104458&SPID=12811&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500#

Hey, so what's up with Ben Jorden? Any chance he's at least a PFA? In the right system, he could shine. I can't remember the last ball he caught that wasn't a first down or a touchdown.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hey, so what's up with Ben Jorden? Any chance he's at least a PFA? In the right system, he could shine. I can't remember the last ball he caught that wasn't a first down or a touchdown.

If he has a good pro day then I could see it. I know he has had some interest.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2012, 09:14 PM

One year a career doesn't make. LeGree still has the chance to be a good NFL player. He just got drafted by a poor team in Seattle.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Word from a source who was there today is that both Quick and Presley ran in the 4.4 range on Monday, though we haven't heard anything official yet. Kind of funny that ASU was officially WITHHOLDING the release of any numbers. I also heard the McCray had a good day for the underclassmen and showed good measurables.

PaladinFan
March 20th, 2012, 06:39 AM

I was with you for a while....but what?

Milktruck74
March 20th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Not talking smack but Elon really can't talk here after Nkang and Hudgins did nothing. I know you thought they would but I'm telling you Mellette is the guy. Mark that down! Mellette is better than Hudgins and it's not even close. Don't pay attention to stats. Mellette is taller, faster, better hands, and a better overall player. Just watch. He's just a notch below Quick. I have him in the 4th round on my early board.

Don't forget Scott Riddle. His career lasted 17 minutes longer than mine. I expect he will make a comeback....as soon as someone can figure out which Driveway in Asheboro he is passed out in. Wake him up, get him some coffee and send him to Pro Day!!!!

TheRevSFA
March 20th, 2012, 07:52 AM

So by traditional SEC Schools, you mean Big 12, Big 10, and Pac-12 as well, correct?

StorminASU
March 20th, 2012, 08:02 AM

Really???

Apphole
March 20th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Don't forget Scott Riddle. His career lasted 17 minutes longer than mine. I expect he will make a comeback....as soon as someone can figure out which Driveway in Asheboro he is passed out in. Wake him up, get him some coffee and send him to Pro Day!!!!

xbowx

Saint3333
March 20th, 2012, 08:29 AM
One year a career doesn't make. LeGree still has the chance to be a good NFL player. He just got drafted by a poor team in Seattle.

Either way DJ has proven to be better suited for the league thus far. I'm pulling for both of them.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I did confirm Quick clocked in the 4.4s at his pro day. This means all bets are off on how high he goes. I could see top 45 or in the 50-75 range. One thing for sure though despite the fact many ASU fans thought 4th-5th round a few months ago, he was never that low and is certainly not falling out of the 3rd now. I doubt he falls out of the 2nd.

Just remember guys that many media outlets are behind on certain things. You don't see Aaron Mellette rated as a top 100 draft pick right now but he is going to be a highly rated player later this summer. Mark my words now. He will at least be a 4th-5th round projection and I personally believe you will see some rate him as a 3rd rounder.

GlassOnion
March 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Unfortunately, it doesnt look like Presley's 40 time will come out as he doesnt even know what he was clocked at. I was really looking forward to that, his 4.65 combine was not hardly what he was capable of. The only combine head scratcher I had with BQ was his vertical, 32" or 34" is nowhere near what he was capable of, not that it will affect his stock, everyone already knows he's got ups.

ASUMountaineer
March 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately, it doesnt look like Presley's 40 time will come out as he doesnt even know what he was clocked at. I was really looking forward to that, his 4.65 combine was not hardly what he was capable of. The only combine head scratcher I had with BQ was his vertical, 32" or 34" is nowhere near what he was capable of, not that it will affect his stock, everyone already knows he's got ups.

I don't know, WR's often just stand flat-footed and then jump straight up to catch a ball. :) I think you're right...I think BQ's stock is only rising. SCFF is much more qualified to make that assumption than I, but it seems logical.

phoenix3
March 20th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Still, I can't believe Hudgins didn't even get a chance! Anyway, Nkang was special teams player of the year at Jacksonville. He may have had a decent career had he not been such a knucklehead. He got into a bar fight & broke his wrist (early in his second season I think), then was put on the pup list & was subsequently cut. So, while his overall career was a bust, he did perform well while he was in the league.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2012, 07:20 PM

I'll have them tomorrow or Thursday.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Still, I can't believe Hudgins didn't even get a chance! Anyway, Nkang was special teams player of the year at Jacksonville. He may have had a decent career had he not been such a knucklehead. He got into a bar fight & broke his wrist (early in his second season I think), then was put on the pup list & was subsequently cut. So, while his overall career was a bust, he did perform well while he was in the league.

Yeah sad to see it cut short.

smallcollegefbfan
March 20th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I got Brian Quick's results from the pro day today. Here you go:

Appalachian State's Brian Quick measured in at 6'3 3/8, 215 pounds and ran a 4.52 and 4.55 in the 40-yard dash. Some teams had him in the high 4.4s. He had 33 1/4 arms, 9 1/2 hand, and 80 5/8 wingspan. He had a 1.60 10-yard and 2.59 20-yard. He kept his other numbers from the combine. The pro day was conducted in Boone, NC on field turf outdoors.

I'll likely have Presley tomorrow or Thursday.