PDA

View Full Version : Quick, Johnson top the draft list

FanofFCS
March 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
TSN has stories on the top FCS draft prospects:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_3_14_2012.htm

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_3_11_2012.htm

ursus arctos horribilis
March 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
TSN has stories on the top FCS draft prospects:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_3_14_2012.htm

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_3_11_2012.htm

Hey Fan, thanks for the articles. Is there a problem with providing a snipet for each link? Might generate some further interest. Something like this...

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - This is the year of the defensive back for NFL hopefuls coming out of the Football Championship Subdivision.

At every turn, there is a cornerback or safety blanketing the coverage.

Cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson of Montana, Josh Norman of Coastal Carolina, Ryan Steed of Furman and Asa Jackson of Cal Poly have been at the top of the class for some time, but other candidates have filled in to provide excellent depth.

At the NFL Combine, 12 FCS defensive prospects earned invitations and only one - Montana inside linebacker Caleb McSurdy - does not play in the secondary.

Following are capsules of the top FCS defensive draft possibilities for April 26-28:

PaladinFan
March 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Steed did not run well at the combine, but performed admirably everywhere else. His 40 time at the Furman pro day dropped by over a tenth of a second. While footspeed may be a knock, one has to think that will be outweighed some by his Senior Bowl performance, career numbers, and solid performances against Alshon Jeffrey and Brian Quick (two highly regarded receivers).

While I think Steed will be the only pick, I would not be suprised to see Furman's Kadarron Anderson, Chris Forcier, and Ryan Lee get picked up as free agents.

smallcollegefbfan
March 18th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Steed did not run well at the combine, but performed admirably everywhere else. His 40 time at the Furman pro day dropped by over a tenth of a second. While footspeed may be a knock, one has to think that will be outweighed some by his Senior Bowl performance, career numbers, and solid performances against Alshon Jeffrey and Brian Quick (two highly regarded receivers).

While I think Steed will be the only pick, I would not be suprised to see Furman's Kadarron Anderson, Chris Forcier, and Ryan Lee get picked up as free agents.

Here are his official numbers, according to National Football Scouting Inc, who runs the combine:

Name: Ryan Steed
School: Furman
Pos: DC
Ht: 5104
Wt: 195
Hand: 9 1/8
Arm: 32 5/8
Wingspan: 76
Bench: 12
10-yard: 1.61-1.70 HT; 1.66-1.72 ET
20-yard: 2.69-2.72 HT; 2.77-2.86 ET
40-yard: 4.64-4.77 HT; 4.68-4.78 ET
VJ: 34
BJ: 9’9-10’1
20: 4.22-4.24
60: no run- choice
3-cone: 6.94-7.01

WMTribe90
March 18th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Here are Jon Grimes numbers from WM's pro-day. I think he answered any question regarding his speed with that 40 time.

225 - 23x (tied 5th)
Vert - 38 (tied 1st)
Broad - 10.5 (2nd)
40 - 4.47 (tied 5th)
Short shuttle - 4.01 (2nd)
L drill - 6.

The ranking in parenthesis are where Grimes' numbers would have ranked among combine participants in the RB group. Going strictly off numbers, the only guy that has comparable numbers across the board is David Wilson (VT). Grimes catches and blocks well, doesn't fumble and was very durable in college. Smart blue collar player who can also return kicks. I think he just went from a FA to a late round pick.

seantaylor
March 18th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Pro day times aren't ever accurate when compared with the combine. Chaz Williams ran a 4.27 at his pro day.

Tribe4SF
March 19th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Bench, vertical, and broad jump are accurate. With seven watches on the timing events, Grimes' times are accurate enough to dispel speed concerns. He had a big day, and improved his stock.

smallcollegefbfan
March 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Pro day times aren't ever accurate when compared with the combine. Chaz Williams ran a 4.27 at his pro day.

Actually, he ran a 4.43. I have the pro day results from that year.

Williams measured in at 5'10 3/8, 213 pounds, and ran a 4.43 40-yard dash. He had a 37-inch vertical, 10'1 broad jump, 4.21 short shuttle, 7.01 3-cone, and did 17 bench reps.