PDA

View Full Version : UCA aiming for Full D1 status a year early

Purple Pride
June 9th, 2006, 07:33 AM
From the Log Cabin Democrat, Conway Arkansas:

UCA working on full D-I status a year early

There was one major bummer to University of Central Arkansas officials' first major Southland Conference meeting last week at Galveston, Texas.

":The Wednesday morning golf tournament was rained out and that was a big negative for me," said UCA President Lu Hardin with a sly smile.

Other than the fun and recreational glitch, Hardin could hardly contain his excitement after his initial dealings in the boardroom in the board room at the annual spring meeting with fellow presidents and SLC officials.

"I think conference officials really went out of my way to make me and Flavius Killebrew (president of Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, the other new member) feel very welcome," Hardin said.

And league officials helped give the UCA president a glimmer of hope for the future. There is an outside chance that UCA could be gain full-fledged status in NCAA I in four years instead of the five that NCAA rules specify (UCA's clock began with the 2005 athletic season). That means that UCA teams could be eligible for conference and NCAA postseason events by the 2008-2009 seasons rather than 2009-2010. That would meanĘthat athletes recruited this year could play for conference championshps and participate in NCAA tournament events by their senior years.

At this point, it's still a longshot. Hardin doesn't believe it is feasible to formally ask for an exemption to the rule.

He thinks UCA officials are going to have go through the front door, selling the NCAA on the idea that the Bears will be ready for every challenge NCAA offers by 2008 and hope the NCAA officials go ahead and offer full membership.

"We are going to have to develop a definitive plan to offer the NCAA, which must include major financial commitment, conference support and proof that we will be competitive by 2008-09," Hardin said.

SLC officials have already offered their full support for early eligibility, a major first step.

It is not an issue with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi because it was already a member of Division I. That institution just didn't have a conference affiliation until now.

UCA will have to show competitiveness by competing well and even winning some games against NCAA I teams in almost every sport in its first two years. UCA officials are also going to have to show capability of raising much more money.

"We are going to spend the summer looking at the options we have," Hardin said.

Later this month, Hardin will attend the Gulf South Conference meetings so the school can take the final steps to officially leave the Division II league by June 30.

UCA officials have been attending both SLC and GSC meetings for a year.

"I am convinced that the Gulf South is the strongest Division II conference in the country," Hardin said. "And I will sincerely miss the relationships with the presidents, particularly on the east side, who I won't see much any more. Of course, I will continue to work with many of the presidents on the western side (mostly in Arkansas) on higher education issues. But I developed exceptional, very close friendships with the Gulf South presidents.

"That said, I have been extremely impressed with how the Southland Conference does business and how gracious the officials were in both welcoming us and accommodating our scheduling. The resources the Southland has to help its schools are incredible. One thing that really impressed me is that Myles Brand (NCAA president) attended our Friday banquet and stayed over to meet with the presidents for two hours Saturday. I asked him how many conference meetings he goes to and he said only a few. That says a lot for the respect of the Southland that this was one of the meetings he attended. I was impressed with his advocacy of graduation rates and academic progress. He's serious about those issues."

And Hardin had it affirmed that UCA is very similar, in size, philosophy and academic missions with almost all of the SLC teams.

"The Southland is a perfect fit for us, except for the travel challenges," he said.

NoCoDanny
June 9th, 2006, 08:46 AM
So basically they are saying, we think we will be competitive so give us special treatment. I'm not sure how great an idea that is. We thought we would be competitive and you see how far that got us.

JoshUCA
June 9th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I don't understand what people get upset about when they see this...I mean the NCAA isn't just considering this especially for UCA, the means are there for anyone who wishes to try and do it. It is by no means a sure thing and the pres even said it more than likely won't happen, but hey if it does it does and if it don't it don't. I just don't like people thinking that there is something that UCA is trying to pull over on the NCAA, because we aren't...this option is open to anyone and everyone trying to move up...as long as they prove themselves worthy.

arkstfan
June 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I don't understand what people get upset about when they see this...I mean the NCAA isn't just considering this especially for UCA, the means are there for anyone who wishes to try and do it. It is by no means a sure thing and the pres even said it more than likely won't happen, but hey if it does it does and if it don't it don't. I just don't like people thinking that there is something that UCA is trying to pull over on the NCAA, because we aren't...this option is open to anyone and everyone trying to move up...as long as they prove themselves worthy.

Other than the cost of sending a FedEx package or two to Indianapolis and maybe the expense of a few long distance phone calls I don't think there is anything to lose in trying.

BEAR
June 9th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I personally don't care if it takes 3, 4 or 5 years to become a full member. There are several problems UCA needs to work on first before they take on full membership anyway. UCA fans please don't take these as criticisms, rather as points of interest that need tending to. :smiley_wi
1. Get fans in the seats. I have attended UCA games since 1990 and have seen a great increase in attendance, but it seems many D1 schools bring in twice our attendance to their games. Maybe I am wrong but I have seen fans of other schools saying, "we average 12 to 15k per home game".
2. Advertising to the local media in Little Rock. THe past few years we have seen Pippen flash his rings, and that Harvard or Yale kid say he got his start at UCA, but nothing about the winning traditions of UCA football. I mean with a program that puts up 40 a game and only allows 14 or so a game and has progressed rapidly every year....you get the picture..and I am not bashing any other team in the state.

All these topics have been hashed and rehashed at UCAfans.com and other sites so blah blah blah...:bang:

Well, there are other issues, all that I consider minor, UCA must address first, but I believe UCA shouldn't be given favoritism to go a year early. I think the transition period is just fine with me. I don't pretend to understand it all anyway. Don't care too much about the technical side of transitions, I just enjoy going to the games and watching my..the Bears win. So if we do, we do. If we don't, who cares! :thumbsup:

JoshUCA
June 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I personally don't care if it takes 3, 4 or 5 years to become a full member. There are several problems UCA needs to work on first before they take on full membership anyway. UCA fans please don't take these as criticisms, rather as points of interest that need tending to. :smiley_wi
1. Get fans in the seats. I have attended UCA games since 1990 and have seen a great increase in attendance, but it seems many D1 schools bring in twice our attendance to their games. Maybe I am wrong but I have seen fans of other schools saying, "we average 12 to 15k per home game".
2. Advertising to the local media in Little Rock. THe past few years we have seen Pippen flash his rings, and that Harvard or Yale kid say he got his start at UCA, but nothing about the winning traditions of UCA football. I mean with a program that puts up 40 a game and only allows 14 or so a game and has progressed rapidly every year....you get the picture..and I am not bashing any other team in the state.

All these topics have been hashed and rehashed at UCAfans.com and other sites so blah blah blah...:bang:

Well, there are other issues, all that I consider minor, UCA must address first, but I believe UCA shouldn't be given favoritism to go a year early. I think the transition period is just fine with me. I don't pretend to understand it all anyway. Don't care too much about the technical side of transitions, I just enjoy going to the games and watching my..the Bears win. So if we do, we do. If we don't, who cares! :thumbsup:

Great points UCABEAR. You know, it would be nice to see a UCA commercial focusing on our sports, I mean they have one focusing on just about everyother aspect of the campus...but I haven't seen one about sports (that doesn't mean they don't exist, but since I don't live in AR I just don't see them as often unless I am in the state visiting.). And I agree with you that we need to put some fans in the seats!

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Ralph and I discussed this on I-AA Waves...

He was a bit surprised by it...

I know I wanna see it!

JohnStOnge
June 9th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I think it stinks that the NCAA makes schools wait at all.

blukeys
June 9th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I like your attitude. For the record I think the transition period is too long. I understand the concept but I believe that there are alternative means of deciding if a team is worthy of being designated I-AA. Financial Commitment and attendence are right there.

UAalum72
June 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM

In fact only 8 I-AA schools had home attendance over 15K last year, and 31 over 10K. The home attendance of all I-AA was 7,699 (not counting neutral site games).
http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/2005/2005_football_attendance.pdf

All teams have to try to increase attendance, but UCA's 7,300 last year puts them in the middle of the pack.

BEAR
June 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM
In fact only 8 I-AA schools had home attendance over 15K last year, and 31 over 10K. The home attendance of all I-AA was 7,699 (not counting neutral site games).
http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/attendance/2005/2005_football_attendance.pdf

All teams have to try to increase attendance, but UCA's 7,300 last year puts them in the middle of the pack.

That's great news to hear. At the D2 level we have always heard that attendance at the next level has to increase significantly to qualify at that level. I know with most of the population of Arkansas living in LR and surrounding areas, the fans are there but there is little addying to pull them to the games. UCA has the product, and now it has the quality opponents (not slamming d2) that will make for great football in the fall! I hope our Southland brothers will bring a huge following to the games. Maybe that will show the "lackluster" fans at UCA what they are missing.

Oh yeah....Teach a crowd to cheer, and you'll only hear their cheerleaders...stir the heated passions of rivalry..and the awesome presence of the 12th man is felt on the field even before the white lines are laid!

UAalum72
June 10th, 2006, 08:34 AM
That's great news to hear. At the D2 level we have always heard that attendance at the next level has to increase significantly to qualify at that level.
Attendance is only a qualifier for I-A, not I-AA. But increasing attendance is useful to help offset the higher expenses, travel costs, and the extra, other sports required to be Division I.