PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Adds New ST Coach, Recruiting Coordinator

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Interesting quote by the coach who says they've lost several coaches to "Div I or I-AA" schools. Huh? Regardless, SHSU picks up a new special teams coach and recruiting coordinator. I hope Mr Salinas is well versed in the "block party" tradition!

Sam Houston State hires WT coordinator

Mike Salinas: Fourth coach to leave WT, defensive coordinator takes position at Sam Houston State to coach special teams and be recruiting coordinator.

West Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Salinas has accepted a position on the staff at Sam Houston State after one year with the Buffs.

Salinas is the fourth coach to leave WT, which won its first Lone Star Conference title since 1986.

''We are disappointed to lose him,'' said Buffs head coach Don Carthel. ''By the same token we are glad that we had him for a year.

''This was his first job as a coordinator and he made the most of it. Mike has a real passion for the game.''

The Buffs were 10-2 and advanced to the Division II playoffs for the first time in history. Former WT offensive coordinator Lee Hays and quarterbacks coach Wes Phillips went to Baylor while longtime assistant Rich Renner went to Midwestern State.

Salinas arrived at WT from Texas A&M-Kingsville last year where he had coached four years. His defense accounted for 23 interceptions last season and forced 14 fumbles.

Carthel said Salinas is expected to be the recruiting coordinator at Sam Houston State and coach special teams.

''It's tough to lose four quality coaches like we have since the end of last season,'' Carthel said. ''Three of them went to Division I or I-AA schools. I think that speaks highly of our program.''

- GLOBE-NEWS STAFF

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/060906/wts_4865144.shtml