PDA

View Full Version : What do you expect your attendance to be this year??

TheBisonator
June 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
One interesting thing I've come to enjoy is comparisons of attendances among teams in I-AA. There was a pdf file sent out by the NCAA this past winter with all the attendances of every NCAA football team in 2005 in every division, and I've been really fascinated with that list lately. It gives me a chance to see how different teams are supported in every division.

Which brings me to the question, how do you think your team will fare in terms of home attendance this year?? You can give me a game-by-game prediction for all your home games of how you think your team will do. You can round off numbers, or if you like, specific numbers are fine. It doesn't matter.

I think NDSU will end up like this. These are my predictions I made on the Bisonville board last month:

Concordia-St. Paul - 14,017 (Home opener, should be the same as UAM game last year)

Northeastern - 14,765 (Rocky's return will spark up the attendance a little bit, but it'll be a pretty general-interest game overall)

Mississippi Valley State - 17,248 (It's Homecoming, so the fans will come out NO MATTER WHAT. It helps that a fellow scholly-I-AA will be the opponent)

Cal-Poly - 12,254 (This is the lull of the year. Use the hunting excuse. The upside is that nowadays the weeks where we have to use the excuse are weeks where we get 11,000 to games, and not the 6-7,000 that we would get several years ago)

South Dakota State - 19,079 - SELLOUT (This will be the year where fans of both teams really get into the Marker rivalry. It will be a soft sell, meaning that it will sellout by kickoff, but there will be 19,000+ butts in the seats throughout at least halftime, and if it's a close one, at least 15-16,000 will stay till the end.)

TOTAL - 77,363

AVERAGE - 15,473

NUMBER 10 IN THE NATION IN I-AA ATTENDANCE

What about your team??

Ronbo
June 8th, 2006, 09:59 PM
We averaged 23,500 (stadium seats 23,117) last regular season. The 16,000 Thanksgiving playoff game brought the season average to 22,479. Should be about the same this season. If gas continues to climb (above $3) we might have some folks 150 miles away and further giving up season tickets.

Retro
June 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Well, After we beat South Florida in the opener, every game should be a sellout with SRO! :hurray:

EKU05
June 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM
We host the Battle of the Bluegrass with WKU which will draw easily over 20,000. We also have most of the good OVC games at home this year, so if the weather cooperates I think we can average in the 13,000 range potentially. We'll see...there are so many variables.

bulldog10jw
June 8th, 2006, 10:25 PM
With the Harvard game on the road this year, Yale will average 15-20k per game. Weather will determine whether they are closer to the 15,000 or the 20,000 avg. Even the threat of rain cuts into Yale's attendance (except for Harvard).

blukeys
June 8th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Delaware will sell out all of their home games as they have done for the last 5 seasons. The playoff turnout depends on their bid to the NCAA and the bare minimum they can report. :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

ncbears
June 8th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I am thinking UNC will average about 8,000-9,000. If we had a bigger stadium, I think we could average way more. People here are excited for the Big Sky!

AppGuy04
June 8th, 2006, 10:43 PM
It's looking like The Rock will be soldout for all home games, if not more. We should be right up there with Montana for the attendance battle

89rabbit
June 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM
10,000 + Avg.

ccd494
June 9th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Somewhere between 76 and 95 per game.

mainejeff
June 9th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Somewhere between 76 and 95 per game.

Ain't that the truth. More toward the 76 side if we don't secure a home game before mid-October :rolleyes:.

JMU2004
June 9th, 2006, 12:06 AM
With a solid home slate, if things go as they should, JMU will have 14,000+

slycat
June 9th, 2006, 12:10 AM
well after the crowds we got at the end of last year i would hope the energy carries into this season. if we come out winning and keep it close with kentucky we should set a new season avg record. im hoping for 14000-15000, but i think thats a reach.

SoCon48
June 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM
It's looking like The Rock will be soldout for all home games, if not more. We should be right up there with Montana for the attendance battle

We'd kick more arse if it weren't for the first couple plau-off games.

catbob
June 9th, 2006, 04:39 AM
It'll be interesting to see how MSU does without Lulay. I believe last year we averaged just over 15k a game, selling out every home game except one. I think with Kramer still in town, we should see above 15k a game again this year.

ButlerGSU
June 9th, 2006, 06:45 AM
I'd say we'll avg around 17,000+ this season, maybe more since everyone is so excited about it being BVG's first season with the new O.

I think the Central Ark game that is set to kickoff at 1 p.m. will hurt the avg though, drawing around 12,000 for that game.

OL FU
June 9th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Jacksonville State - no students. we will have 9000 plus whatever JSU brings?
West Georgia - a few students but not many but there will probably be a promotion of some sort - 11,000
Western Carolina - 13,000
Citadel - 13,000
Chattanooga (homecoming) 14,000
Georgia Southern - (16,000)

UNH 40
June 9th, 2006, 07:17 AM
word is that UNH season ticket sales are up 35% which hopefully means the attendance will be better than last season. I assume that the weekly attendance will be somewhere around 8,500.

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Kats will average atleast 8000 this year and could go closer to 10,000 pending weather, W-Ls and if a team like TxSt-San Marcos is doing well enough that their fans travel en masse to Huntsville. We do have McNeese at home, which will draw nicely from their faithful...

colgate13
June 9th, 2006, 07:50 AM
We'll be somewhere between 6-8K. Unfortunately for us this year, Cornell and Lehigh are away, and those tend to be the two biggest games. Our biggest game attendance wise this year will be Lafayette for family weekend. Should be close to 9K with that one.

Mr. Tiger
June 9th, 2006, 08:44 AM
You heard it here first. JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY will lead the nation in attendance again. :hurray: We have a new coach that fans like and excitement is in the air. And some good matchups. This is a conservative estimate because the first game could be more and the Alabama A&M game could be more if we are winning.

Sep. 2 Paul Quinn 25,000 attendance
Sep. 23 Mississippi Valley State 35,000
Oct. 14 Southern University 60,000 (a must see)
Nov. 4 Alabama A&M 20,000
Nov. 11 Prairie View (HC) 35,000
______
35,000 (average)

Pard4Life
June 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Interesting question... it should be a big question mark this year with Lafayette. When it's a non-Lehigh year, we have been averaging about 6-7000 with good teams on the field. The new stadium might boost the numbers this year. I am going to be bold and predict a sell-out for the opener vs. UPenn, especially if it is under the lights. But for the rest, I predict...

Penn.. 13,000+ sell out
Yale... 10,000
Holy Cross... 13,000 (family weekend, 3pm start)
G'town... 7,000
Lehigh... 13,000+

Of course these are dependent upon how well our team is doing too. My wish is to see us draw more fans than Lehigh! :rolleyes: :p :)

Pard4Life
June 9th, 2006, 08:59 AM
We'll be somewhere between 6-8K. Unfortunately for us this year, Cornell and Lehigh are away, and those tend to be the two biggest games. Our biggest game attendance wise this year will be Lafayette for family weekend. Should be close to 9K with that one.

Family weekend the end of October? Brutal.. hope they are wearing sheepskins. Guess I will have to get there early. Never been to Colgate, but up that way a few times.

blackfordpu
June 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Kats will average atleast 8000 this year and could go closer to 10,000 pending weather, W-Ls and if a team like TxSt-San Marcos is doing well enough that their fans travel en masse to Huntsville. We do have McNeese at home, which will draw nicely from their faithful...

Isn't it sad that we have to rely on the visiting teams to bring a lot of people to have a good crowd?

The Kat students still have not caught on and a lot of the Kat fans that do come are too old to make a lot of noise for the players. :bang:

89Hen
June 9th, 2006, 09:10 AM
It's looking like The Rock will be soldout for all home games, if not more.
There's a chance you might sell out The Rock for away games too? :confused: ;)

McNeese72
June 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Without any fricking hurricanes, hopefully our attendance will get back to normal. Somewhere between 14,000 and 17,000.

Doc

colgate13
June 9th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Family weekend the end of October? Brutal.. hope they are wearing sheepskins. Guess I will have to get there early. Never been to Colgate, but up that way a few times.

It is still beautiful that time of year up here. You really have to get into November before you run into bad weather potential.

GaSouthern
June 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM
GSU High Winning Season = 19,000+
GSU Off Season = 16,000+

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
word is that UNH season ticket sales are up 35% which hopefully means the attendance will be better than last season. I assume that the weekly attendance will be somewhere around 8,500.

If the weather is decent (no monsoon games), then I think that is feasible. We were 112% of capacity last year. Without a monsoon game and a dog game, hopefully we'll be between 7,500-8,500 for most games. Too bad we don't have more capacity. I'm hoping they bring in some more bleachers.

GannonFan
June 9th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Bad weather, good weather, the Tub will sell out for every game this year, regardless how the team does. 22k for every game. Playoffs, if we are so lucky, will be subject to the traditional undercounting of attendance.

MACHIAVELLI
June 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM
For the ICON...
vs. Jackson St..10K (first home game Oct. 21, if JSU happens to have a decent record it may be more)
vs. Alabama St..23k (Homecoming)
vs. Alcorn St.....8K (A game that is normally between 13K-15K will drop off because the game is in December the week after the Classic and a week before the SWAC Championship game.

Stadium capacity: 19,600.

Granite
June 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
If the weather is decent (no monsoon games), then I think that is feasible. We were 112% of capacity last year. Without a monsoon game and a dog game, hopefully we'll be between 7,500-8,500 for most games. Too bad we don't have more capacity. I'm hoping they bring in some more bleachers.

The endzone bleachers were really popular with the students last year - from what I heard, bringing in the temporary endzone seating was a student idea, and I think that it definitely added to the game experience. I would hope that that we would use them again this year.

I think the 7500-8500 is a reasonable estimate. We should have a decent crowd for the opener against Stony Brook, but I think the big attendance games will be JMU (its Homecoming, and HC is always a decent draw) and UMass, especially if that game has A-10 North implications.

Ivytalk
June 9th, 2006, 10:55 AM
For Harvard, I predict:

Holy Cross -- 10,000
Lafayette -- 9,000
Cornell -- 13,000
Columbia -- 10,000
Yale -- 30,898 (sellout)

Average: approximately 15,000

To bookend the Yale poster, bulldog10jw, bad weather will depress Harvard attendance except for the Yale game.

DUPFLFan
June 9th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I would expect Drake to double or triple attendence from last year. THye played at a HS stadium while Johnny Bright Field was rebuilt. Now we have lights and 7:00 PM starts...

carney2
June 9th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Interesting question... it should be a big question mark this year with Lafayette. When it's a non-Lehigh year, we have been averaging about 6-7000 with good teams on the field. The new stadium might boost the numbers this year. I am going to be bold and predict a sell-out for the opener vs. UPenn, especially if it is under the lights. But for the rest, I predict...

Penn.. 13,000+ sell out
Yale... 10,000
G'town... 7,000
Lehigh... 13,000+

Of course these are dependent upon how well our team is doing too. My wish is to see us draw more fans than Lehigh! :rolleyes: :p :)

Methinks, a bit optimistic. Penn always brings some people. Add the first night game in the renovated stadium (good weather required) and it should be a nice crowd by Lafayette standards - but a sellout? Yale in double figures? A stretch, but maybe. Holy Cross at near sellout? Not a prayer. As for Lehigh, when was the last time that we got an "accurate" count for this game? The athletic officials are either downright lazy or they are incapable of getting a headcount, but they seem to just substitute capacity for attendance and call it a day.

gokats85
June 9th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Isn't it sad that we have to rely on the visiting teams to bring a lot of people to have a good crowd?

The Kat students still have not caught on and a lot of the Kat fans that do come are too old to make a lot of noise for the players. :bang:

Most of the SHSU students 20-25 years ago didn't get it either. I doubt most of the current students will ever catch on. Such is life at a "suitcase school"! :twocents: xcoffeex

Mr. Tiger
June 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM
vs. Jackson St..10K (first home game Oct. 21, if JSU happens to have a decent record it may be more)
vs. Alabama St..23k (Homecoming)
vs. Alcorn St.....8K (A game that is normally between 13K-15K will drop off because the game is in December the week after the Classic and a week before the SWAC Championship game.

Stadium capacity: 19,600.

It will probably be more at that JSU game even if the Tigers are not setting the world on fire. I have always enjoyed going to Grambling. :thumbsup:

rokamortis
June 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Assuming we have a decent season, I predict we'll average 8,500+. We are adding 1,000 seats on the away side to make it 7,400. I've also heard we may bring in temp bleachers for Furman and SCSU.

ELON
7,000 - 8,000
First game of the year but labor day weekend may hurt. on the other hand, it might even bolster our numbers since a lot of tourists come to our area and some may want to check us out. Elon should bring a good crowd since theya re so excited with their new coach.

SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY
9,500 - 10,500
This game will be packed. SCSU is reportedly wanting to bring a huge crowd, and their band!

FURMAN
9,000 - 10,500
This game should be packed but will depend on how both of our teams are doing. If we both are having good years then expect Brooks to be spilling over.

LIBERTY
6,000 - 7,000
Depends on how each team is when we play.

SAVANNAH STATE
7,500 - 8,500
Homecoming.

CHARLESTON SOUTHERN
8,000 - 9,000
Both teams may be competing for the BSC title again. After what happened last year, we will have a good crowd that is expecting a little payback.

Pard4Life
June 9th, 2006, 02:03 PM
For Harvard, I predict:

Holy Cross -- 10,000
Lafayette -- 9,000
Cornell -- 13,000
Columbia -- 10,000
Yale -- 30,898 (sellout)

Average: approximately 15,000

To bookend the Yale poster, bulldog10jw, bad weather will depress Harvard attendance except for the Yale game.

We less popular than Columbia? : smh :

Pard4Life
June 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Methinks, a bit optimistic. Penn always brings some people. Add the first night game in the renovated stadium (good weather required) and it should be a nice crowd by Lafayette standards - but a sellout? Yale in double figures? A stretch, but maybe. Holy Cross at near sellout? Not a prayer. As for Lehigh, when was the last time that we got an "accurate" count for this game? The athletic officials are either downright lazy or they are incapable of getting a headcount, but they seem to just substitute capacity for attendance and call it a day.

I put Yale as high as I did because we have rarely played them and they are a big name school. Plus if it is a nice day and we are motoring with an undefeated record... very optimistic... we will get some fans.

chrisattsu
June 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Most of the SHSU students 20-25 years ago didn't get it either. I doubt most of the current students will ever catch on. Such is life at a "suitcase school"! :twocents: xcoffeex

does Sam have a problem with people going to Kyle Field instead?

bulldog10jw
June 9th, 2006, 02:22 PM

You just don't understand the snobish Ivy League mentality. ANY conference game is more important tham ANY OOC game.

Plus people think Columbia is usually an automatic win and alums like Ivy League W's. With no playoffs, OOC losses can be blown off as "who cares" (or as "exhibition" games).

That is the "enlightened" attitude of many alums.

GaSouthern
June 9th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I wish yale or harvard would play GSU, that would be so much more fun than directional-nobody-state!

blukeys
June 9th, 2006, 05:22 PM
You just don't understand the snobish Ivy League mentality. ANY conference game is more important tham ANY OOC game.

Plus people think Columbia is usually an automatic win and alums like Ivy League W's. With no playoffs, OOC losses can be blown off as "who cares" (or as "exhibition" games).

Do your fans want to see the Ivies in the playoffs?

eagle1
June 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I am hoping that EWU can average between 8,000-8,500 but that might be a stretch. We averaged about 7,500 last year. Go Eagles!!!

bulldog10jw
June 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Do your fans want to see the Ivies in the playoffs?

I think most of the fans of all the Ivy Schools, as well as the players and the students think Ivy teams should accept deserving bids to the playoffs. But in Yale's case I don't see support from the school administration or the Football Y Association, which is made up mostly of former players. Then again, I'm not as close to the scene as I used to be when I was living in CT so maybe things are changing as more recent players become alumni. I hope so.

blukeys
June 9th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Thanx for your previous post. What is interesting is that the Ivies do not command FOOTBALL respect outside of your conference.

Case in Point. In 2002 the UD President offered the Head Coaching job to the Harvard Coach who accepted who then informed his assistants and then they started to make phone calls to Delaware about housing, schools etc. When the alumni and fans learned that a non UD person might get the job all hell broke lose. NO ONE WITH NON UD ROOTS SHOULD EVER COACH THE HENS!!!!!!!!

President Roselle retracted his offer and Coach Keeler comes on board. I know Harvard is happy that they did not lose their football meal ticket but in the end this demonstrates that the Ivie's are an afterthought for the rest of I-AA.

Jag4Life
June 9th, 2006, 07:16 PM
NICE THREAD!!!!!!!!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

For Southern U

SU vs Miss Valley State --->17,000-20,000

SU vs North Carolina Central ------> 20,000-24,000!!! NCCU is expecting to bring there band, & about 7,000 fans from Durham, NC

SU vs Alabama St -----> 24,000-26,000!! Bama St fans travel to BR! I hope they bring their band!

SU vs UAPB -----> 19,000-22,000

SU vs TXSU ------> 23,000-25,000 -------> SENIOR DAY

capacity: 28,500

CLASSICS

SU vs Grambling (Bayou Classic) 60,000-70,000 ------- If it is moved to the Superdome...........I expect a sell out!

SU vs BCC (Gateway Classic) 40,000-50,000 --------- If BCC brings there fans then I expect a large number of people in Jacksonville!!!!!!!

ISUMatt
June 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM
6 home games at roughly 9500-10,000 a game..ISU will draw 55k-60k this season!

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM

More like going to the Houston area each and every weekend...:nono:

The issue is this. For football, we rely more on the community and natives as well as the visiting team. Our students show up, but I'd say a large share of the attendance is not the students. Our athletic administration will say as much...

For basketball, it's more students than community. We seriously get 10% of our student body at basketball games because we do average about 2110 during the year and I'd say there can not be more than 300-500 non students at the games.

In many ways, thanks to the success of our BKB program under Bob Marlin, we're a basketball school. Pros and cons. I love the atmosphere at basketball though and actually do miss it more than football in terms of during the game. Must say that I enjoyed the tailgating experience with blackfordpu, Kats89 and company!

MR. CHICKEN
June 9th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Bad weather, good weather, the Tub will sell out for every game this year, regardless how the team does. 22k for every game. Playoffs, if we are so lucky, will be subject to the traditional undercounting of attendance.

IFIN' DELAWARE STATE..SOMEHOW GETS IN.....AN' WE DRAW 'EM AT DUH COOP........DEY'LL BE HANGIN' OFF DUH "BOB OBSERVATORY"....ALL-DOUGH......WE WILL ONLY REPORT......11,738.....:thumbsup:...AWK!

Brad82
June 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Less than 3k.

Ivytalk
June 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Just going by the historical averages. I hope it's higher, but Harvard would probably have to go back to its Army series in the 80s to get a significantly higher non-conference attendance.

ngineer
June 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM
It is still beautiful that time of year up here. You really have to get into November before you run into bad weather potential.

Hey, 13, is Montonk Mountain near Colgate. I have to go to a conference there Friday to Sat. Noon on 10/27-28. If we're finished in time, is it possible to get to Colgate to see half of a game, if it is somewhat 'on the way' south toward PA??

ngineer
June 9th, 2006, 09:32 PM

You got that right. Last year at Goodman the stands were full, and the grass horseshoe around the southern endzone had a couple thousand, plus all the standees on the plaza above the horseshoe--yet attendance announced at little over 16,000?

ngineer
June 9th, 2006, 09:40 PM

Penn.. 13,000+ sell out
Yale... 10,000
G'town... 7,000
Lehigh... 13,000+

I think your numbers, except for Lehigh, are little high based on the past, though I agree you should draw more than before due to the new stadium, expecially the first year. Part of our (PL) problem is a number of schools do not 'travel well'. Yale did not bring a huge contingent to Goodman last year., and HC and Gtown rarely have much more than the parents and girlfriends following along. When I was in school, we got 20,000+ into Fisher with the old visitor grandstand plus extra bleachers. Any thought by the admin. to add extra seats for November 18?
I also spent some time today with a Lafayette alum who said he was at the stadium last week and from his perspective and in speaking with people, he got the impression the lights will likely NOT be ready for Penn. What are you guys hearing? I was hoping for a PL/IVY double dip that weekend, as was Ralph.

ngineer
June 9th, 2006, 09:53 PM
With a new coach, there may some additional curiosity attendees. My guesstimate:

Albany: 10,000 (Kids' Day)
Princeton: 12,500 (Community Day)
Harvard: 13,500 (Volunteer Day)
Bucknell: 13,500 (Alumni Day)
Colgate: 15,000 (Family Weekend)
Fordham: 13,000 (Senior Day)

The above figures assume 'nice weather'. Over the past couple years, we've had some nasty weather for big games that really depressed attendance. Bucknell could actually be higher--if they have a decent record by then. There are a decent number of Bucknell grads in the Lehigh Valley, plus it's only a two hour drive. Largest non-Lafayette crowd has been with the Bison (16,906) in 2000. Albany could be lower, since it's Labor Day Weekend, and a lot of students may be off campus.

jmuroller
June 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
14k a game

Go Poly
June 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Cal Poly will hopefully have the stadium upgrades completed in which they may draw an average of 9K per game with a max of 10K (sellout) for UC Davis.

Go Poly
June 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM
One interesting thing I've come to enjoy is comparisons of attendances among teams in I-AA. There was a pdf file sent out by the NCAA this past winter with all the attendances of every NCAA football team in 2005 in every division, and I've been really fascinated with that list lately. It gives me a chance to see how different teams are supported in every division.

Which brings me to the question, how do you think your team will fare in terms of home attendance this year?? You can give me a game-by-game prediction for all your home games of how you think your team will do. You can round off numbers, or if you like, specific numbers are fine. It doesn't matter.

I think NDSU will end up like this. These are my predictions I made on the Bisonville board last month:

Concordia-St. Paul - 14,017 (Home opener, should be the same as UAM game last year)

Northeastern - 14,765 (Rocky's return will spark up the attendance a little bit, but it'll be a pretty general-interest game overall)

Mississippi Valley State - 17,248 (It's Homecoming, so the fans will come out NO MATTER WHAT. It helps that a fellow scholly-I-AA will be the opponent)

Cal-Poly - 12,254 (This is the lull of the year. Use the hunting excuse. The upside is that nowadays the weeks where we have to use the excuse are weeks where we get 11,000 to games, and not the 6-7,000 that we would get several years ago)

South Dakota State - 19,079 - SELLOUT (This will be the year where fans of both teams really get into the Marker rivalry. It will be a soft sell, meaning that it will sellout by kickoff, but there will be 19,000+ butts in the seats throughout at least halftime, and if it's a close one, at least 15-16,000 will stay till the end.)

TOTAL - 77,363

AVERAGE - 15,473

NUMBER 10 IN THE NATION IN I-AA ATTENDANCE

What about your team??

:confused:

kats89
June 10th, 2006, 12:07 PM
More like going to the Houston area each and every weekend...:nono:

The issue is this. For football, we rely more on the community and natives as well as the visiting team. Our students show up, but I'd say a large share of the attendance is not the students. Our athletic administration will say as much...

For basketball, it's more students than community. We seriously get 10% of our student body at basketball games because we do average about 2110 during the year and I'd say there can not be more than 300-500 non students at the games.

In many ways, thanks to the success of our BKB program under Bob Marlin, we're a basketball school. Pros and cons. I love the atmosphere at basketball though and actually do miss it more than football in terms of during the game. Must say that I enjoyed the tailgating experience with blackfordpu, Kats89 and company!

Hence, if you win they will come. In 2001 and 2004 the student attendance was awesome because, well, look at the records and accomplishments that year. I think most of the home games should be night games regardless, except for homecoming. Students will come to night games. BUT, we have to put a more consistent team on the field with more 7-4,8-3,9-2 seasons instead of the reverse.:twocents:

And yes we do have a lot of students drive over to College Station. It is only a 40 minute drive. I am sure Tx State has the same issues with UT being so close.

Freightliner
June 10th, 2006, 12:33 PM
And yes we do have a lot of students drive over to College Station. It is only a 40 minute drive. I am sure Tx State has the same issues with UT being so close.

We have a HUGE problem with students driving to austin for UT games.

Hopefully with all our home games at night, it might put a small dent in people going to UT games.

I still remember the fiasco with our AD scheduling a 12 noon game on TV against Florida Atlantic the same Saturday of Texas/OU in 2004:bang: :bang: .xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

carney2
June 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM
and we are motoring with an undefeated record...

Now I understand.

blackfordpu
June 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM
We have a HUGE problem with students driving to austin for UT games.

Hopefully with all our home games at night, it might put a small dent in people going to UT games.

I still remember the fiasco with our AD scheduling a 12 noon game on TV against Florida Atlantic the same Saturday of Texas/OU in 2004:bang: :bang: .xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Why in the world did he do that? The AD's need to do more research if they want to raise attendance so things like this do not happen. Whether it be TSU SM or SHSU, we need to raise attendance of the SLC teams in Texas. The La. teams seem to do much better than we do. Of course they don't have the major colleges within a one hour drive like we do either.

fuEMO
June 10th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Jacksonville State - no students. we will have 9000 plus whatever JSU brings?
West Georgia - a few students but not many but there will probably be a promotion of some sort - 11,000
Western Carolina - 13,000
Citadel - 13,000
Chattanooga (homecoming) 14,000
Georgia Southern - (16,000)

Furman has hit the pavement hard this off-season selling many different types of ticket packages. The most active since the 88-89 seasons. I expect all this hard work to pay off big. Look for 1,500 to 3,000 ticket jump per game.

golionsgo
June 11th, 2006, 01:55 AM
The La. teams seem to do much better than we do. Of course they don't have the major colleges within a one hour drive like we do either.

I beg your pardon? LSU is only 45 minutes to our west and not much more than an hour north of Thibodaux.

GAD
June 11th, 2006, 03:45 AM
We are not in the Southland, but LSU is about 15 minutes from us.

LSU doesn't affect our attendance anyway

GAD
June 11th, 2006, 03:45 AM
I beg your pardon? LSU is only 45 minutes to our west and not much more than an hour north of Thibodaux.
We are not in the Southland, but LSU is about 15 minutes from us.

LSU doesn't affect our attendance anyway

lucchesicourt
June 11th, 2006, 07:47 AM
One thing I find strange about UCD and their attendance is that most the students live near campus (20,000+ students within walking distance or a short bike ride), and many do not show up for games. I know we do not start school until October usually, but I always moved to Davis in September to enjoy the weather, the campus, and recreational facilities. I would always attend the athletic events ,as they were free (paid for with the registration fees). I know many students are just into the academics, and do not attend the athletic events, but when school is in, there really is not a lot do do outside of studying, except during spring quarter. Maybe, the new stadium, when in opens in 2007, will draw more students. But right now, I only see our attendance at about 7.000/game as Toomey Field doesn't hold much more than that. Our best drawing crowds were when we were in the playoffs at the D2 level. Maybe, getting into the D1AA playoffs will help, along with the new stadium.

Go Poly
June 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM
One thing I find strange about UCD and their attendance is that most the students live near campus (20,000+ students within walking distance or a short bike ride), and many do not show up for games. I know we do not start school until October usually, but I always moved to Davis in September to enjoy the weather, the campus, and recreational facilities. I would always attend the athletic events ,as they were free (paid for with the registration fees). I know many students are just into the academics, and do not attend the athletic events, but when school is in, there really is not a lot do do outside of studying, except during spring quarter. Maybe, the new stadium, when in opens in 2007, will draw more students. But right now, I only see our attendance at about 7.000/game as Toomey Field doesn't hold much more than that. Our best drawing crowds were when we were in the playoffs at the D2 level. Maybe, getting into the D1AA playoffs will help, along with the new stadium.

When I was an undergrad at Cal Poly most students, which lived either on campus or within a bike ride, did not go to games either...I was one of them. Too busy studying. We go to games now, twenty years later, and find it frustrating that more students don't go....I think there is general apathy toward organized sports and football has never been promoted well within the school community or in the town of SLO. The last few years, however, we have had a couple of record crowds of 9,000 plus...and I think, like you ucchesicourt, the new stadium will bring in more fans. :thumbsup:

ucdtim17
June 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Well we A) play schools most students haven't heard of, and when we do play the schools they are familiar with (CSUS and CP), we sell out, B) play 4 exhibition seasons in this transition so none of the games count, C) play 4 games or so before school even starts, and D) play in a facility that most freshmen laugh at when they arrive on campus. It doesn't really surprise me that most students find other things to do on their saturdays.

CSU BUCS
June 11th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Avg. between 2-3k:D :D

UNH SUPERFAN
June 11th, 2006, 09:00 PM
WHAT'S FRUSTRATING AS A UNH FAN IS THAT PEOPLE IN NH SHOULD BE BEATING DOWN THE DOORS, GOOD STADIUM OR NOT, TO SEE THE TALENT WE HAVE PLAY EACH WEEK! THE SANTOS - BALL COMBINATION COMBINED WITH A HIGH PRE-SEASON RANKING SHOULD GARRANTEE GREAT ATTENDANCE, BUT IT WON'T.

I THINK IT IS A CULTURAL PROBLEM THAT IS DIFFICULT TO OVERCOME. PEOPLE IN NEW ENGLAND DO NOT HAVE AN "US AGAINST THEM" MENTALLITY WHEN IT COMES TO SPORTS AND TEND TO SUPPORT PRO TEAMS OVER COLLEGE. THE RED SOX AND TO A LESSER EXTENT THE PATRIOTS ARE VERY POPULAR IN NH AND WILL TRUMP ANYTHING THAT UNH, UMASS, UMAINE OR URI CAN PRODUCE.

IT WOULD TAKE AN EXTRAORDINARY EFFORT BY UNH TO GET ATTENDANCE UP TO 15K - 20K EVEN WITH A NEW STADIUM. SAD, BUT I BELIEVE IT'S THE TRUTH.

McNeese75
June 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Why in the world did he do that? The AD's need to do more research if they want to raise attendance so things like this do not happen. Whether it be TSU SM or SHSU, we need to raise attendance of the SLC teams in Texas. The La. teams seem to do much better than we do. Of course they don't have the major colleges within a one hour drive like we do either.

:nono: Smaller State and a lot of the La teams play home games in the evening. Unfortunately so does LSU and they definitly effect attendence at I-AA games. (Except SU of course, I am sure NONE of the 95,000 fans that are usually in Tiger Stadium venture across town to watch the Jags play when LSU is on the road )

JaxStateManager
June 11th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Considering that we only play 4 home games this year, and one of those (Murray State) is the same week that the fall Talladega race is, I'll say an average of 10,000....and capacity at Paul Snow (The Outdoor Cockpit) is just over 15,000.

ekufbfan
June 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Considering that we only play 4 home games this year, and one of those (Murray State) is the same week that the fall Talladega race is, I'll say an average of 10,000....and capacity at Paul Snow (The Outdoor Cockpit) is just over 15,000.

Talladega is an issue for both Jax and Samford. I can't understand WHY the OVC can't fix this problem by having these two schools play on the road that weekend. No hotel/motel rooms anywhere near the universities. EKU plays Samford that weekend and I heard that the team may have to stay in Chattanooga. Thre is no excuse for such poor planning on the OVC's part!:nono:

Attendance? EKU has a great home schedule this year. WKU, EIU, JSU, Murray State and TSU (Bring THE BAND!) all at home. If we can combine that with winning :nod: , and good weather, there will be no excuse for our fans to not turn out for games!
GO COLONELS!:hurray:

walliver
June 12th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Wofford has home games against SC State and Furman which should draw well (The two largest college crowds at Gibbs have been #1 Furman 2004 and #2 SC State 2003 - I was at both games and am sure there were more in 2003 but apparently the "official" count was different).

SC State - travels well and should draw around 12000 (people sitting on the hill)
Furman - game will be earlier in the year than usual - probably 9000-10000.
Coastal Carolina - I don't know how well they travel - 8000
Citadel - once viewed as our #2 Rival, series hasn't drawn as well recently -8000
Western Carolina (HC) - homecoming crowds are very dependent on the weather - 7000-8000
Chattanooga - Mocs draw little interest among Wofford fans (no offense intended to Moc fans). Late in the season. Unless the Terriers are in playoff contention (or beat GSU in Statesboro the week before) will probably bring in 5000-6000 (most likely there will be ticket give-aways designed to boast attendance)

Most Wofford graduates live within driving distance of the campus, and attendance at football games is very weather dependent - the less die-hard fans may decide whether or not to attend on the day of the game.