PDA

View Full Version : Construction at Georgetown moves ahead

LBPop
May 23rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
I'm still having a tough time believing it, but I do not believe that these photos have been doctored. ;)

Check 'em out:

http://guhoyas.collegesports.com/genrel/052305aaa.html

Ivytalk
May 23rd, 2005, 05:05 PM
Excellent! How many will it seat?

putter
May 23rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
That is great to see. As long as the university starts to promote the program and put butts in the seats to make it worth while. I-AA could use a top program in an area like DC!!

Tod
May 23rd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Construction is obviously moving along very rapidly. Is it supposed to be ready for '06? How many will it seat? Please keep posting pictures as updates become avialable.

:) :) :)

Lapper
May 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
HOYA SAXA!!! It great to see the school get interested in in the game again.

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
HOYA SAXA!!! It great to see the school get interested in in the game again.

The school is interested in the game (they've been playing since 1887) but it's hard to put any more university capital into it right now. Georgetown University has suffered through considerable financial problems in recent years and none of the athletic programs are comfortably funded, not even men's basketball.

FWIW, the field renovations are 100% donor driven.

Grizo406
May 23rd, 2005, 10:20 PM

Any pics of the renovation, or have they already been posted?

ngineer
May 23rd, 2005, 11:47 PM
I'm still having a tough time believing it, but I do not believe that these photos have been doctored. ;)

Check 'em out:

Alright! Now I can see why you guys will be formidable at home with that big gravel pile in photos 7 & 8. You'll stop teams 'stone' cold with that behemoth! :D :D :D
Glad to see it's happening.

JoltinJoe
May 24th, 2005, 06:16 AM
The school is interested in the game (they've been playing since 1887) but it's hard to put any more university capital into it right now. Georgetown University has suffered through considerable financial problems in recent years and none of the athletic programs are comfortably funded, not even men's basketball.

Georgetown has a great football tradition, and we at Fordham are pleased to be a part of that tradition by being your most frequently played opponent. (And the Hoyas are also the Rams' most frequently played opponent).

Glad to see you guys are building a nice facility. With your recruiting class, I see some good years ahead for the Hoyas.

Fordham
May 24th, 2005, 06:48 AM
The school is interested in the game (they've been playing since 1887) but it's hard to put any more university capital into it right now. Georgetown University has suffered through considerable financial problems in recent years and none of the athletic programs are comfortably funded, not even men's basketball. Interesting, I would have thought you guys would be doing much better financially. Any consensus on where the waste or financial mismanagement is coming from?

FWIW, the field renovations are 100% donor driven. That's very impressive, DFW. Support like this from even a few highly committed (but loaded) alumns is a great sign for the future of your program.

LBPop
May 24th, 2005, 01:24 PM
xlolx
Alright! Now I can see why you guys will be formidable at home with that big gravel pile in photos 7 & 8. You'll stop teams 'stone' cold with that behemoth! :D :D :D
Glad to see it's happening.

Wait until they install the movable, transparent plexiglas shield. It can be raised above the visitors' cross bar as necessary. When those field goals and XPs starting bouncing back onto the field, it will look like a kickoff in Arena Football. xlolx

But seriously, folks...I know the Hoya football people appreciate the kind words from this board. The new facility is supposed to hold about 4,000, but most people think that's a bit understated. As some others have questioned (including my fellow poster, DFW), we have no clue where we will be sitting this season. I'm thinking about reserving a spot on top of that gravel pile. ;)

colgate13
May 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM
As some others have questioned (including my fellow poster, DFW), we have no clue where we will be sitting this season. I'm thinking about reserving a spot on top of that gravel pile. ;)

I call the bucket on the front loader for the Colgate game!

LBPop
May 24th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I call the bucket on the front loader for the Colgate game!

Should be just enough room for 13, a bag of ice and a case of brew!

Hey, as an aside, if you actually do decide to make the trip, let us know. Might be able to score you a freebie with the kid's allocation.

89Hen
May 24th, 2005, 02:42 PM
if you actually do decide to make the trip, let us know. Might be able to score you a freebie with the kid's allocation.
Hey, where's the love? :p

colgate13
May 24th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Hey, as an aside, if you actually do decide to make the trip, let us know. Might be able to score you a freebie with the kid's allocation.
I'll keep that in mind... I put my chances of a trip down at about 60-70%. Thanks for the offer!

colgate13
May 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Apparently all you can handle can be found here (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074)

LBPop
May 24th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Well, let's see. Our Colgate friend will be traveling about 6 hours and you will be traveling about 15 minutes. Gotta evaluate... I'll get back to you. :rolleyes:

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Interesting, I would have thought you guys would be doing much better financially. Any consensus on where the waste or financial mismanagement is coming from?

Some quotes from the article below will help to frame this mess, from a campus story when the Unviersity was placed on a credit "watch list" last fall:

"While Georgetown has maintained its rating with strong student demand and enrollment as well as with recent gains in fundraising with the completion of the $1 billion capital campaign, analysts at Standard & Poor's found that the university does not have enough money in the event of an emergency. "

"After several years of operating losses at the Medical Center , including $84 million losses in fiscal year 1999, the university sold Georgetown University Hospital to Bethesda , Md. , based MedStar Health, a non-profit health care corporation...Operating results in fiscal year 2003 showed a $20 million deficit and projected numbers for 2004 predict another $28 million deficit. In addition, the university's outstanding debt has reached $670 million."

http://www.thehoya.com/news/082704/news5.cfm

"The Restaging Plan initially called for the Medical Center to reduce its [2005] losses to $8 million by this year, but that figure was later increased to $19.9 million. Current estimates, however, point towards losses of $25-29 million."

http://www.thehoya.com/news/042905/news19.cfm

Bottom line: no construction without cash in hand. At least the football donors stepped up.

BBB
May 25th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Check 'em out:

Hey when are we going to play Hoya? It would be great to have Howard and Georgetown play every year!!!

BBB
May 25th, 2005, 01:15 PM
That is great to see. As long as the university starts to promote the program and put butts in the seats to make it worth while. I-AA could use a top program in an area like DC!!

All due respect there's another sleeping giant in DC

colgate13
May 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
All due respect there's another sleeping giant in DC
For a second I almost thought we had a Bucknell poster on AGS. Did you realize your (Howard's) helmets look similar?

LBPop
May 25th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Hey when are we going to play Hoya? It would be great to have Howard and Georgetown play every year!!!

You know, last year there were a number of posts on the Georgetown board asking the same question. The game would be a natural and at the moment, you are the only one with a viable stadium. I'm new to the Hoya family (I did my college thing up the road in College Park), so I have no historical perspective. Perhaps others do...hey, DFW, do you know about any prior attempts to put Howard and Georgetown on the field together?

BBB
May 26th, 2005, 07:32 AM
For a second I almost thought we had a Bucknell poster on AGS. Did you realize your (Howard's) helmets look similar?

Yeah I think there is another set of Bison in 1-AA as well. I believe it's North Dakota but I could be mistaken.

Fordham
May 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM
13, I thought the same thing when I saw the helmet.

And, DFW, thanks for the info. Tough to believe that a school with the tuition & alumni base that you guys have could be run in a way that would put it at financial risk. From a Fordham perspective, they've announced some huge capital improvement projects to be completed over the next decade (and more). The concern I clearly have is whether or not we could find ourselves in a similar position since it seems that with the exception of the hospital (which one could argue was G-town not sticking to their knitting), most of the problems seem to stem from all the capital projects you've run.

Again, thanks for the info and, most important, that's remarkable that the stadium is being built completely by alumns and other donors.

89Hen
May 26th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Here's a cool rendering of the new facility. I was scheduled to go to the groundbreaking ceremony, but it rained like crazy that morning and I knew it would be a mess and really tight in a tent so I bagged.

http://www.georgetown.edu/oaur/sdr/assets/images/msfsouthwest.jpg

LBPop
May 26th, 2005, 03:29 PM
And I was counting on you for a first hand report from the ground breaking. You let me down, '89. I actually had a GOOD excuse. I was overseeing the move of my offices--I would have gladly stood out in the rain to avoid that.

You know, that freebie for a game this season (that you unashamedly were begging for) just might be in jeopardy... :rolleyes:

89Hen
May 26th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I felt bad after getting myself invited. But I've been so busy during the week I just couldn't get motivated to battle the weather on a Saturday morning. I really wanted to just blend in with the crowd and was a little afraid with it having to be moved indoor or at least to a tent, people would actually want to talk to me and perhaps solicit. :o

LBPop
May 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Just having some fun with you. Frankly, I'm impressed at your interest. The most disappointing thing is that I had asked for a report on the Georgtown board and nobody could offer one. I think people still don't believe the the place will be completed. If the students and parents show up next fall and see some real progress, that might change a few attitudes. By the way, if you plan to make one of the games, please let me know. I really might be able to snag a ticket for you. Of course, at $8.00 per, I would imagine that you and your Georgetown educated lawyer mate could muster up enough to stop by. I think (spell that H-O-P-E) you will see some good football out of this group.

DFW HOYA
May 26th, 2005, 08:46 PM
...hey, DFW, do you know about any prior attempts to put Howard and Georgetown on the field together?

This was a regular topic on the old GU football board, and what I heard was that Howard simply wasn't interested. Between the MEAC slate and the "classic" games, Howard may only have one open date a year, and probably feels the same way to Georgetown that the Hoyas have to George Mason in basketball--probably more risk than reward at this point.

A season-opening game to raise money for DC Schools at RFK Stadium would have been an idea worth pursuing, but with the Nats now on board, September football at RFK won't happen, and FedEx Field is too expensive for I-AA teams.

Any Howard fans want to discuss their thoughts on this?

BBB
May 27th, 2005, 08:24 AM
This was a regular topic on the old GU football board, and what I heard was that Howard simply wasn't interested. Between the MEAC slate and the "classic" games, Howard may only have one open date a year, and probably feels the same way to Georgetown that the Hoyas have to George Mason in basketball--probably more risk than reward at this point.

A season-opening game to raise money for DC Schools at RFK Stadium would have been an idea worth pursuing, but with the Nats now on board, September football at RFK won't happen, and FedEx Field is too expensive for I-AA teams.

Any Howard fans want to discuss their thoughts on this?

We might have our wires cross. I've heard it that The Hoyas feel that playing Howard has more risked then rewards. I'm sure the players WOULD LOVE TO PLAY THIS GAME. I think this has to do MORE with dumb administrators looking for excuses not do what would be in a word.....RIGHT.

Two 1-AA schools in teh same city and they're not playing? Doesn't make sense to me. I mean we play in basketball and soccer.

Fedex isn't that expensive, we played a game up there versus Alcorn State so it's possible and I'm sure Snyder would JUMP at the chance to see that game to make some "cash"

89Hen
May 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I don't know if a game at RFK or Redskins would fly. With G'town averaging 2K and Howard averaging 6K I don't think this game would generate enough interest for a 50,000 - 70,000 seat stadium rent.

LBPop
May 27th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I don't know if a game at RFK or Redskins would fly. With G'town averaging 2K and Howard averaging 6K I don't think this game would generate enough interest for a 50,000 - 70,000 seat stadium rent.

I agree completely. A venue that holds about 15K would work fine, but I am not aware of anyplace like that in the DC area. My guess is that before the Nats came to town, RFK would have been willing to keep the rent down, but now there's no way. Also, I wouldn't especially like attending a game in a 50,000 seat stadium when 12,000 people (maybe) show up. I've never seen Penn at Franklin field, but it must be a little weird when only 10,000 people are in that massive place.

89Hen
May 27th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I've never seen Penn at Franklin field, but it must be a little weird when only 10,000 people are in that massive place.
It's fun. I was there in the 70's to see Delaware play Temple and there were probably 20-25k. While I too prefer standing room only, it was just cool to see the old lady.

As for venues for G'town vs. Howard...? I have no idea other than just having it at Howard. I think they can seat 12K. Byrd at Maryland would even be too big and I don't think they'd give it up in season. BTW, Redskins is up to almost 92,000! :eek:

BBB
May 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I agree completely. A venue that holds about 15K would work fine, but I am not aware of anyplace like that in the DC area. My guess is that before the Nats came to town, RFK would have been willing to keep the rent down, but now there's no way. Also, I wouldn't especially like attending a game in a 50,000 seat stadium when 12,000 people (maybe) show up. I've never seen Penn at Franklin field, but it must be a little weird when only 10,000 people are in that massive place.

Green Stadium holds about 10-15k comfortably. HC has seen 30,000 cram into the stadium, so I'm sure it can hold both schools.

Heck I think we can make this a home and home series until ti grows.

LBPop
May 27th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Green Stadium holds about 10-15k comfortably. HC has seen 30,000 cram into the stadium, so I'm sure it can hold both schools.

Heck I think we can make this a home and home series until ti grows.

Didn't realize that Green Stadium held that many. I think it would be ideal. Just for the sake of ceremony, Georgetown could be the "official home team" every other year. A little like when Villanova comes down to Franklin Field as the "home team". There's not much that can top a pure local rivalry.

DFW HOYA
May 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Greene Stadium's capacity varies depending on the source--I've read 10K, 11, and 11.5K. Homecoming draws a larger crowd and there is considerable room around the Burr Gymnasium side for temporary seating.

Attendance for home games at Greene varied considerably last year--you've got to think there would be interest for a Georgetown game in there somewhere:

Savannah St. 5,205
Charleston Southern: 2,079
Morgan St. 9,804
Norfolk St. 12,804
Del State: 1,065
Avg: 6,191

BBB
May 31st, 2005, 06:33 AM
Greene Stadium's capacity varies depending on the source--I've read 10K, 11, and 11.5K. Homecoming draws a larger crowd and there is considerable room around the Burr Gymnasium side for temporary seating.

Attendance for home games at Greene varied considerably last year--you've got to think there would be interest for a Georgetown game in there somewhere:

Savannah St. 5,205
Charleston Southern: 2,079
Morgan St. 9,804
Norfolk St. 12,804
Del State: 1,065
Avg: 6,191

Most of the reason for that is for the longest we sold a big game to a classic and didn't aggressively sell the rest of the games.

This year we have Hampton, A&T, SC State (and HC) along with WSSU (Winston Salem State) they seem to travel pretty well. I won't speak for everbody else in 1-AA but, I can say this. It'll benefit Howard greatly to have local teams like Georgetown or a James Madison to come in as a Non-conference game.