PDA

View Full Version : TSN article

FanofFCS
March 5th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Teams to beat in the conferences:

http://bit.ly/wFeAng

Apphole
March 5th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Don't mind App being the sleeper at all. GaSo can take the heat, we'll take the SoCon

Wildcat80
March 5th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Towson their pick in CAA....followed closely by JMU. UNH gets Towson at home the last game of the season. Should we pray for snow??

RichH2
March 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Lots of chalk but nice article.Lehigh should be favorite but it will be a much closer race next season as their O will not be as dominating and D lose most of front .

Bogus Megapardus
March 5th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Lehigh has a very soft OOC schedule this year. Only one reasonably difficult game. It will be up to the PL teams to knock them off their pedestal.

Ivytalk
March 5th, 2012, 10:36 AM
The Ivy race will be wide open, IMHO. I think Harvard will miss Collier Winters and Josue Ortiz more than it cares to admit.

Bogus Megapardus
March 5th, 2012, 10:45 AM
The Ivy race will be wide open, IMHO. I think Harvard will miss Collier Winters and Josue Ortiz more than it cares to admit.

"Wide open" could be a bit of an overstatement. Yale has a new coach and it loses Witt. Columbia - new coach. Cornell & Dartmouth don't look like they're challenging anyone. Princeton has hit the skids big time and it'll take a few recruiting classes to come back. So that leaves (predictably) Brown or Penn to knock off the Cantabs. I know that Penn loses a bunch of starters; I'm not so sure about Brown becasue I don't watch them as closely. Anyhow, rather than being wide open, it looks to me more like one of two teams trying to snatch the Ivy crown away from Harvard.

darell1976
March 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Big Sky: Montana, Montana State. Montana State, Montana. Yeah, you know the story, the title again will likely come down to their Nov. 17 showdown at Montana. That home game would seem to make the Grizzlies the favorite, but the pick here for the favorite's role is Montana State, and not just because the Bobcats return a bushel of talent led by quarterback DeNarius McGhee, running back Cody Kirk, defensive tackle Zach Minter and linebacker Jody Owens. It has more to do with the Grizzlies needing to replace nine starters on defense. Yikes

I am glad UND plays both. UND at Montana State should be a good game although UND will be a major underdog, as for Montana at UND..should be a sold out, loud @ss venue for the Grizz. I hope they can handle the noise!!!! UND hasn't seen a big game at home like this since the DII era. This year everything counts!!

Sly Fox
March 5th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I doubt the Big South will be a breeze for the Seawolves as they have to come to Lynchburg this fall.

Sam_Kats
March 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Good read.

bluehenbillk
March 5th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Towson their pick in CAA....followed closely by JMU. UNH gets Towson at home the last game of the season. Should we pray for snow??

Lazy journalism is what I'd chalk this article up to. Last year there were virtually no repeats...this year Haley picks nothing but? You heard it here first, Towson not only doesn't make the playoffs, they don't make .500.....

Tribe4SF
March 5th, 2012, 02:43 PM
After last years surprises, anyone calling a clear favorite in the CAA is loopy. Towson, JMU, ODU all return plenty, and Delaware, UNH and W&M do as well. Villanova will be much better. Maine looks to take a step down, and Richmond may need another year to catch up. I won't even mention the two teams expected to be at the bottom after what ODU and Towson did last year.

Tribe4SF
March 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Lazy journalism is what I'd chalk this article up to. Last year there were virtually no repeats...this year Haley picks nothing but? You heard it here first, Towson not only doesn't make the playoffs, they don't make .500.....

That's a bold prediction, and I can't imagine what you base it on. Other than the game against the Hens, the Tigers showed maturity, and consistency throughout. Lots back, and they've added a few more transfers. I'll be surprised if they're not in the mix again.

TheRevSFA
March 5th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Wow they sure went out on the ledge with their predictions.

Nostradamus, you aren't

eagle07
March 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM
From what I saw of ODU, i believe they will make some noise this year, but the CAA has been rather inconsistent of late. Maine and Towson seemed to have pretty good clubs though. How does Maine look on returning starters anyone know? UNH had a scrappy club too. Add in that usual surprise team and you could see another toss up in the CAA with 4-6 playoff teams. It's probably the hardest to predict.

Ginsbach
March 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I am glad UND plays both. UND at Montana State should be a good game although UND will be a major underdog, as for Montana at UND..should be a sold out, loud @ss venue for the Grizz. I hope they can handle the noise!!!! UND hasn't seen a big game at home like this since the DII era. This year everything counts!!

I'm fairly sure the Alerus Center won't be very loud for the Grizz, and that's assuming it can be sold out. Probably won't phase them at all.

TheValleyRaider
March 5th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Last year there were virtually no repeats...this year Haley picks nothing but?

This happens all the time, people go with last year's teams to predict the future. Some of these picks make sense (and are plenty of the usual suspects), but lots of them will fall short as they cannot replicate the mix that made them good this year

As for the PL, I suspect Lehigh is still the team to beat, but we'll see how easily they can replace a Payton finalist, especially at QB

ThompsonThe
March 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Did this guy write this in his sleep?

The probability of anything close to this happening is astronomical.

Poor journalism. Pitiful research, actually very little research.

darell1976
March 5th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I'm fairly sure the Alerus Center won't be very loud for the Grizz, and that's assuming it can be sold out. Probably won't phase them at all.

UND could be 3-1 in the Big Sky when Montana comes to Grand Forks...so you know the place will be loud with both fan bases and of course a chance at first place. As for noise...
http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=736149

Fighting Sioux fans have been enthusiastic ever since the Alerus Center opened, but one of the most vocal crowds came in that first year as UND hosted a 2001 NCAA semifinal game against UC Davis. In that game, UC Davis was flagged seven times for illegal procedure among its 12 penalties on the day. After the game, UC Davis players cited the noise level of the Alerus Center crowd as one of the reasons for the penalties.

The Eagle's Cliff
March 5th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Old Dominion is my pre-season pick in the CAA. If they have any kind of defense, look out.

Cleets
March 5th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Wow..!!!
You guys are a tough crowd
I think maybe the point of a Bullseye article such as this is twofold...
One: To backhandedly congratulate the conference winners and playoff teams - which is well deserved - but you want to make it hurt a little bit while you say: Nice season
and second to show that teams like Towson haven't had a target painted on their back in a LONG LONG time and they will now feel the very real pressure of repeating a great season

or something like that...

Ginsbach
March 5th, 2012, 08:58 PM
UND could be 3-1 in the Big Sky when Montana comes to Grand Forks...so you know the place will be loud with both fan bases and of course a chance at first place. As for noise...
http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=736149

I grew up in North Dakota and went to a UND game a few years back with a friend of mine. It's really not loud. Certainly nothing on the level of the Fargodome or Washington–Grizzly.

Also, UND could just as easily be 1-3 as 3-1 by the time that game comes.

hidalgo
March 6th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Wow.....Someone besides myself likes Duquesne in the NEC........backfeld with a rusher that has 3500 career yards (mcCoy) and a QB that has 5000 yards and accounted for 50 TDs last two years (Patterson). Defense has NEC MVP- Kona and Ohio State Transfer Bell........excited for this year on The Bluff!!!!

tourguide
March 6th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I grew up in North Dakota and went to a UND game a few years back with a friend of mine. It's really not loud. Certainly nothing on the level of the Fargodome or Washington–Grizzly.

Also, UND could just as easily be 1-3 as 3-1 by the time that game comes.

Not as easily as they could be kicked out of Big Sky by 2013, but I get your point

frozennorth
March 6th, 2012, 01:21 AM

I'm guessing 11,500

401ks
March 6th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Old Dominion is my pre-season pick in the CAA. If they have any kind of defense, look out.

They'll have to shake off the loss of their opening game.

xsmiley_wix

darell1976
March 6th, 2012, 04:06 AM
I'm guessing 11,500

It should be around there..besides homecoming the Montana game is the only game that tickets cost more. It will be the game of the year for UND.

Tribe4SF
March 6th, 2012, 06:30 AM

That's the big ? for them. They lose three starters from the DL, including Ronnie Cameron, and gain a new coordinator. Heinicke must stay healthy. He single-handedly elevated them from middle-of-the-pack to playoff worthy.

The Eagle's Cliff
March 6th, 2012, 06:42 AM
That's the big ? for them. They lose three starters from the DL, including Ronnie Cameron, and gain a new coordinator. Heinicke must stay healthy. He single-handedly elevated them from middle-of-the-pack to playoff worthy.

Heinicke is definitely the key along with that O-Line. It's going to be a fun season. Any CAA teams want to predict Ga State's Conference record?

Tribe4SF
March 6th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Don't know if Georgia State will win a game in the league. They lose four OL starters, their TE, and five defensive starters from a team that went 3-8 against a very weak schedule. They've got some young talent, but 2012 looks like a rough year for them.

blueballs
March 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I don't see all the love for GSU. IMO they take a step backwards this year having to replace their starting QB (and having no idea of who that replacement will be), their two best o-linemen, their entire kicking game, their two best DB's (from a unit that was less than stellar late in the season), and needing to shore up what was a pitiful pass rush late in the season.

IMO they are weak on the o-line (after losing Moore, Maxwell and Mann), they don't know who the QB will be (and none of the contestants have shown the ability to run the entire offense), weak at DE, and weak in the secondary.

With their schedule I can see at least 4 losses very easily. If they lose less than 3 in the regular season it will be a miracle.

IMO Chatty has to be the favorite heading into the fall, I would rank GSU 4th in the conference st best.

asujch
March 6th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I don't see all the love for GSU. IMO they take a step backwards this year having to replace their starting QB (and having no idea of who that replacement will be), their two best o-linemen, their entire kicking game, their two best DB's (from a unit that was less than stellar late in the season), and needing to shore up what was a pitiful pass rush late in the season.

IMO they are weak on the o-line (after losing Moore, Maxwell and Mann), they don't know who the QB will be (and none of the contestants have shown the ability to run the entire offense), weak at DE, and weak in the secondary.

With their schedule I can see at least 4 losses very easily. If they lose less than 3 in the regular season it will be a miracle.

IMO Chatty has to be the favorite heading into the fall, I would rank GSU 4th in the conference st best.

what's your reasoning on that one, I see them being a middle of the road team next year with the guys they lost this year. I think that wofford is on the rise and is a darkhorse for the title. GSU will be interesting with their lack of a secondary and inexperience at QB, but you never know.

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM
That's a bold prediction, and I can't imagine what you base it on. Other than the game against the Hens, the Tigers showed maturity, and consistency throughout. Lots back, and they've added a few more transfers. I'll be surprised if they're not in the mix again.

@Kent State, @LSU, @JMU, @UD, @UNH, home vs ODU, among others....

blueballs
March 6th, 2012, 11:00 AM
what's your reasoning on that one, I see them being a middle of the road team next year with the guys they lost this year. I think that wofford is on the rise and is a darkhorse for the title. GSU will be interesting with their lack of a secondary and inexperience at QB, but you never know.

They return a very solid base on both sides of the ball and they played a TON of freshmen last year. They lost some close heartbreakers while being very young last year and I can't see them losing those type of close games this year. They also have App and GSU at home this year. They will be better.

It pains me to say it but they are the favorites in my mind.

PaladinFan
March 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM
They return a very solid base on both sides of the ball and they played a TON of freshmen last year. They lost some close heartbreakers while being very young last year and I can't see them losing those type of close games this year. They also have App and GSU at home this year. They will be better.

It pains me to say it but they are the favorites in my mind.

It is far too early to tell a favorite. GSU should have the edge, but folks tend to overlook some of their 2011 season. Can't forget that GSU got Elon and Samford at the beginning of the year -- two teams that were playing very well at the end of the season. They also had six of their first nine games at home.

If nothing else, 2012's schedule will set up far trickier. GSU finally gets dealt the hand that Furman had last season, where you have a string of tough games over a month. Last season GSU was able to have most of their big games spread out over the course of the season.

ngineer
March 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Lehigh has a very soft OOC schedule this year. Only one reasonably difficult game. It will be up to the PL teams to knock them off their pedestal.

I wouldn't call Monmouth and CCSU "very soft". MU beat Villanova last year and CCSU will have a decent team. I agree Princeton and Columbia are weaker sisters than we'd like, but that's the luck of the draw when scheduling a few years out. I think the League should be very competitive. Yes, on balance, Lehigh will be seen as the favorite, but with the improvement of BU and GU, and no let down from HC and CU, with expected improvement by LC and FU, the race should be tighter. Lehigh has some reloading to do, but I've been impressed with our undergrads and I think a number are ready to shine now that their time has come. Colvin's ability to take the reins and execute will be key, and Bialkowski will be pushing him should he falter. I think we'll see more of a balanced attack with Sherman and a healthy Barket in the backfield, along with a QB who can run well, and is big. Missing some starters on D, but a lot of experience returning. I think we'll accept the target for the 3-peat. (;-)

bluehenbillk
March 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't call Monmouth and CCSU "very soft". MU beat Villanova last year

That wasn't your run of the mill Villanova team, worst team they've fielded under Talley since joining conference play.

RichH2
March 6th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't call Monmouth and CCSU "very soft". MU beat Villanova last year and CCSU will have a decent team. I agree Princeton and Columbia are weaker sisters than we'd like, but that's the luck of the draw when scheduling a few years out. I think the League should be very competitive. Yes, on balance, Lehigh will be seen as the favorite, but with the improvement of BU and GU, and no let down from HC and CU, with expected improvement by LC and FU, the race should be tighter. Lehigh has some reloading to do, but I've been impressed with our undergrads and I think a number are ready to shine now that their time has come. Colvin's ability to take the reins and execute will be key, and Bialkowski will be pushing him should he falter. I think we'll see more of a balanced attack with Sherman and a healthy Barket in the backfield, along with a QB who can run well, and is big. Missing some starters on D, but a lot of experience returning. I think we'll accept the target for the 3-peat. (;-)

I expect a real battle between BB and Mike. It is Colvin's spot to lose. If he can improve his reads he will be OK. D loses most of Front 7. It will not be bad given our depth but unrealistic to think it will improve. As playoffs showed our D must get better.

blueballs
March 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM
It is far too early to tell a favorite. GSU should have the edge, but folks tend to overlook some of their 2011 season. Can't forget that GSU got Elon and Samford at the beginning of the year -- two teams that were playing very well at the end of the season. They also had six of their first nine games at home.

If nothing else, 2012's schedule will set up far trickier. GSU finally gets dealt the hand that Furman had last season, where you have a string of tough games over a month. Last season GSU was able to have most of their big games spread out over the course of the season.

Perhaps... but GSU had Chatty, Furman, @App, Citadel, @Wofford, @ Alabama in the second half of their schedule. The first half last year was the soft part, the second half the difficult part.

I hope all you folks are right about GSU but I guess the paranoid side of me sees a lot of question marks and a step back this year.

seantaylor
March 6th, 2012, 05:52 PM
GSU will be much better team on offense next season. The backfield will feature as much speed as a GSU team has had since the PJ days. Losing Maxwell is tough, but Mann was beaten out of his job halfway through the year, and we played much better. McKinnon is the best athlete in the conference and Izzy isn't far behind.

blueballs
March 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM
GSU will be much better team on offense next season. The backfield will feature as much speed as a GSU team has had since the PJ days. Losing Maxwell is tough, but Mann was beaten out of his job halfway through the year, and we played much better. McKinnon is the best athlete in the conference and Izzy isn't far behind.

Don't forget about losing Moore (1st team AA) on the o-line too.

Being the best athlete doesn't make one the best QB. Truthfully, I hope Izzy or McJunkins can take the reins and drive the train so McKinnon can stay on defense because McKinnon is a good enough athlete that he might get a shot at playing after college on defense. GSU REALLY needs help in the secondary and at DE (hopefully GSU gets DuBose back this year). That would also mean that one of the other guys has actually shown some ability and command of the offense.

Lots of questions marks and as of right now not many answers.... hopefully spring and fall camp will provide some answers.

seantaylor
March 8th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Don't forget about losing Moore (1st team AA) on the o-line too.

Being the best athlete doesn't make one the best QB. Truthfully, I hope Izzy or McJunkins can take the reins and drive the train so McKinnon can stay on defense because McKinnon is a good enough athlete that he might get a shot at playing after college on defense. GSU REALLY needs help in the secondary and at DE (hopefully GSU gets DuBose back this year). That would also mean that one of the other guys has actually shown some ability and command of the offense.

Lots of questions marks and as of right now not many answers.... hopefully spring and fall camp will provide some answers.

Being the best athlete, in our offense, is huge. Either QB we have back there is going to open up the field so much. Swope is going to have a monster year.

GATA
March 11th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Bull**** post of the century.

At the end of the 2012 season we'll see if we're "much better" than 35 ppg and 435 yards per game...xrolleyesx

The 2005 team (you know...the one with Jayson Foster...the REALLY fast guy) only averaged 38 ppg. If you think Izzy or any other QB is gonna just step in and blow the 2011 offensive numbers out of the water then you're an asshole.

It's far more likely that idiots we'll be calling for us to switch QBs by game #2 or #3. It doesn't even matter who wins the job. When he gets off to a shaky start, people will start demanding a switch. Our offense isn't easy to run.

PaladinFan
March 12th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Bull**** post of the century.

At the end of the 2012 season we'll see if we're "much better" than 35 ppg and 435 yards per game...xrolleyesx

The 2005 team (you know...the one with Jayson Foster...the REALLY fast guy) only averaged 38 ppg. If you think Izzy or any other QB is gonna just step in and blow the 2011 offensive numbers out of the water then you're an asshole.

It's far more likely that idiots we'll be calling for us to switch QBs by game #2 or #3. It doesn't even matter who wins the job. When he gets off to a shaky start, people will start demanding a switch. Our offense isn't easy to run.

I think it is nonsense to belive that GSU will be better without Jaybo Shaw.

This past season's Eagle team was as dangerous on offense as I can remember. Shaw's ability to run the offense and incorporate the passing game cannot be discounted. I'm sure whomever takes over this season will do fine, but you simply do not improve on 435 yards per game and 35ppg. There's a saturation point. Even the great offenses in the history of football have a ceiling.

blueballs
March 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM

This past season's Eagle team was as dangerous on offense as I can remember. Shaw's ability to run the offense and incorporate the passing game cannot be discounted. I'm sure whomever takes over this season will do fine, but you simply do not improve on 435 yards per game and 35ppg. There's a saturation point. Even the great offenses in the history of football have a ceiling.

In the short term you are 100% correct... however, in the long term having a home run threat taking the snaps makes the offense even more dangerous IF whoever inherits the position can grow into the passer and decision maker Shaw was- which granted isn't an easy or fast process.

When you have somebody who can pass and run in that position you get guys like Tracy Ham, Greg Hill, Raymond Gross, Chaz Williams, JR Revere... all of whom engineered offenses that ran up over 40 ppg- or in the cases of Hill, Ham, and Williams- over 45 ppg, over 400 yards rushing, and 100 yards passing as an average. That's when the offense wins titles generally.

The 1986 and 1999 teams in particular averaged 50 ppg over 500 yards, and that was when Ham (1986) and Hill (1999) were seniors.

CropDuster
March 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
In the short term you are 100% correct... however, in the long term having a home run threat taking the snaps makes the offense even more dangerous IF whoever inherits the position can grow into the passer and decision maker Shaw was- which granted isn't an easy or fast process.

When you have somebody who can pass and run in that position you get guys like Tracy Ham, Greg Hill, Raymond Gross, Chaz Williams, JR Revere... all of whom engineered offenses that ran up over 40 ppg- or in the cases of Hill, Ham, and Williams- over 45 ppg, over 400 yards rushing, and 100 yards passing as an average. That's when the offense wins titles generally.

The 1986 and 1999 teams in particular averaged 50 ppg over 500 yards, and that was when Ham (1986) and Hill (1999) were seniors.

And maybe more important than the quarterbacks is the OL. That 99 team had Williams and Mcgrath, both Srs and AAs on the o line. There was a good bit of drop off in 2000 but JR and AP still managed to win another title. It is scary how good our offenses have been in the past.

I fear the combo of losing Jaybo and three Sr linemen may be too much to overcome next year though.

Bam
March 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I like the OVC pick--- Jax St. They can take all the heat!

seantaylor
March 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Crazy. Jaybo was a decent GSU QB. Nothing more. He was, however, crucial to our transition. But, Jaybo would have not started on any other GSU option era team.

seantaylor
March 12th, 2012, 04:39 PM
And maybe more important than the quarterbacks is the OL. That 99 team had Williams and Mcgrath, both Srs and AAs on the o line. There was a good bit of drop off in 2000 but JR and AP still managed to win another title. It is scary how good our offenses have been in the past.

I fear the combo of losing Jaybo and three Sr linemen may be too much to overcome next year though.

Only 2 Senior starters. Remember we started rolling after Mann was benched and Maxwell moved to center. Most likely all 5 starters this season will have been recruited specifically for the option. That is big.