PDA

View Full Version : NFL Forgets Atlantic 10 is not a conference

alvinkayak6
February 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM
From #CAAFB on twitter and the CAA's football blog:
http://ow.ly/i/tzuY

NFL forgets that Atlantic 10 is not a football conference. Ouch.

Who is getting fired over this one?xlolx

ST_Lawson
February 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Looks like it's been fixed now. It's now listed as "CAA Football". Not sure why they had to add the "Football" part...did they think that people would get confused and think that there might be some women's lacrosse players there or something?

danefan
February 25th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Looks like it's been fixed now. It's now listed as "CAA Football". Not sure why they had to add the "Football" part...did they think that people would get confused and think that there might be some women's lacrosse players there or something?

That's e official name of the conference. The CAA and the CAA Football Conference are technically two different conferences.

ST_Lawson
February 25th, 2012, 03:13 PM
That's e official name of the conference. The CAA and the CAA Football Conference are technically two different conferences.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I did not realize that.
I should be more aware of situations like this, considering "my" school is in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, but not the Missouri Valley Conference for other sports.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 25th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I did not realize that.
I should be more aware of situations like this, considering "my" school is in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, but not the Missouri Valley Conference for other sports.

That's the beauty of these boards. Nothing goes unexplained or unchallenged so you have a pretty solid foundation to discuss these matters with others outside the boards.xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
February 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM
That's the beauty of these boards. Nothing goes unexplained or unchallenged so you have a pretty solid foundation to discuss these matters with others outside the boards.xlolx

Oddly, we also learned this past week, in a backhanded way, that the Patriot League "always has" considered its football conference and its other sports as "separate entities." Who knew? Does this foreshadow a more formal split of some sort? I hope not, but time will tell.

citdog
February 25th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Oddly, we also learned this past week, in a backhanded way, that the Patriot League "always has" considered its football conference and its other sports as "separate entities." Who knew? Does this foreshadow a more formal split of some sort?

one can only hope.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FCJeE8nh4

BlueHenSinfonian
February 25th, 2012, 09:22 PM

My understanding is that they are run out of the same office with the same staff, so the separation is purely on paper. Why is it done that way? Is it to keep the basketball only schools from having undue sway in decisions involving football matters? Is it to keep football income in the hands of the football schools and keep the basketball schools from having a piece of that pie?

alvinkayak6
February 25th, 2012, 09:47 PM
My understanding is that they are run out of the same office with the same staff, so the separation is purely on paper. Why is it done that way? Is it to keep the basketball only schools from having undue sway in decisions involving football matters? Is it to keep football income in the hands of the football schools and keep the basketball schools from having a piece of that pie?

I think you might be onto something.....However, I suspect it might also be to retain branding.....

You see....it might look weird to have only half of the members playing one particular sport. So you want to pretend it is its own brand. .... Well I don't know. Maybe it's time to email the CAA and figure it out.

49RFootballNow
February 25th, 2012, 09:47 PM

The conference bylaws were posted on CAAZone before. Seems its more because it came to the CAA as a separate entity, the same way 10 years before it came into A10 control as a separate entity, the Yankee Conference. I do know that 75% of football playing members and 75% of non-football members have to vote to add a football-only member, so basketball influence in football matters is still pretty high.

danefan
February 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM

I think it was really done to keep the football only members on equal ground in voting matters. Different than an affiliate relationship.

By laws can be found here: http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/supportfiles/Handbook/FB/CAAFBHANDBOOKweb.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=8500

HailSzczur
February 26th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Really showing my age here, but I remember as a kid it really bothering me that the A-10 had 12 members. As a youngster I could never wrap my head around that.

But the NFL butchering our conference is nothing new to me, you ask around campus what conference we play football in and I'd be shocked if more than 50-60% could come up with CAA

alvinkayak6
February 26th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Really showing my age here, but I remember as a kid it really bothering me that the A-10 had 12 members. As a youngster I could never wrap my head around that.

But the NFL butchering our conference is nothing new to me, you ask around campus what conference we play football in and I'd be shocked if more than 50-60% could come up with CAA

It's one thing for the student body or faculty to be ignorant...it is another to have an entire league's name programmed incorrectly. I'm sure the CAA Football conference thinks it is the ***** when it comes to the FCS, so that's a pretty big kick to the groin.

I'm sure the commish and PR guys are letting the NFL have it.....or at least letting whomever will listen have it.