PDA

View Full Version : ULL and McNeese Set for 2007

TexasTerror
June 6th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Glad to see this old rivalry renewed...officially!

I'm sure McNeese75, John St Onge and Retro can give more insight along with the other Pokes on this board about this rivalry, the history of it, the proximity of the schools and such...
===========
Cajuns, Cowboys to meet
Dan McDonald
[email protected]

The University of Louisiana is out of the football scheduling business for a while, with the confirmation of a long-time rival wrapping up the 2007 slate.

UL interim athletic director David Walker said Monday that the Cajuns and McNeese State had reached agreement on a contract for a Sept. 15, 2007 game at Cajun Field. The 4 p.m. game between the southwest Louisiana schools is the final of 12 contracted games for that season.

"I hope we're finished," Walker said. "We thought we were done in March, and last year we had a change mid-season. It's like you're never done until the Saturday of the game."

http://www.dailyworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060606/SPORTS/606060302/1006

McNeese72
June 6th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Think Montana-Montana St., Lafayette-Lehigh, GSU-App St., Grambling-Southern and you'll get the idea of what kind of rivalry it was.

One magazine (Playboy, I think) during the height of the rivalry, did a story on the best rivalries in college football and it was one of them.

The game was at the end of the season, but after each game during the season, the fans would start the "Go to Hell, USL, go to Hell" cheer. It was bigtime rivalry.

The 1976 McNeese-USL game, which determined the team to go to the inaugural Indy Bowl, holds the record for McNeese attendance at 27,500.

Doc

GAD
June 6th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Cool hopfully the series will continue:)

but be careful or you might make LSU and Tulane envious:D

buckp
June 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM
It was a grand rivalry and I'm very glad to see the game scheduled for 2007. I can remember the businesses in Lake Charles would paint their windows with "Go To Hell USL" and we would ride up and down the main drag (Ryan Street) the night before the game, hollerin' and honking our horns. Great fun....:nod:

Now with AGS reaching across the nation for I-AA, McNeese will have a national fan base for that game! Everybody needs to practice yelling:

"GO TO HELL ULL!!!!" :D

dbackjon
June 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Awesome - go to hell, ULL!!

McNeese72
June 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM
It was a grand rivalry and I'm very glad to see the game scheduled for 2007. I can remember the businesses in Lake Charles would paint their windows with "Go To Hell USL" and we would ride up and down the main drag (Ryan Street) the night before the game, hollerin' and honking our horns. Great fun....:nod:

Now with AGS reaching across the nation for I-AA, McNeese will have a national fan base for that game! Everybody needs to practice yelling:

"GO TO HELL ULL!!!!" :D

I think you are abbreviating the cheer. It should be "Go to Hell, ULL, Go to Hell" Of course, the frats would add an extra little chant in between. So it used to be like this: Fans: "Go to Hell, USL, Go to Hell" frats: "Eat (insert four letter word for excretement)" And then the fans: "Go to Hell, USL, Go to Hell". Repeat until passed out.

Doc

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Glad to see this old rivalry renewed...officially!

I'm sure McNeese75, John St Onge and Retro can give more insight along with the other Pokes on this board about this rivalry, the history of it, the proximity of the schools and such...
===========
Cajuns, Cowboys to meet
Dan McDonald
[email protected]

The University of Louisiana is out of the football scheduling business for a while, with the confirmation of a long-time rival wrapping up the 2007 slate.

UL interim athletic director David Walker said Monday that the Cajuns and McNeese State had reached agreement on a contract for a Sept. 15, 2007 game at Cajun Field. The 4 p.m. game between the southwest Louisiana schools is the final of 12 contracted games for that season.

"I hope we're finished," Walker said. "We thought we were done in March, and last year we had a change mid-season. It's like you're never done until the Saturday of the game."

http://www.dailyworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060606/SPORTS/606060302/1006

McNeese Wins........Unless

They fumble it away like we did that Last 2 times we played them.

McNeese72
June 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Some of the Cajun fans, especially the younger generation have been downplaying the rivalry inferring that it will be just another game. I think they will learn pretty quick that it isn't so. I believe a lot of the older fans on both sides will pick up where things left off and the younger fans will learn real quick that it is not just another game. ;)

Doc

McNeese75
June 6th, 2006, 10:05 PM
We have over a year to fuel the fires for this one :D . And my guess is the fire will start getting hot before the 2006 season is over. :nod:

buckp
June 7th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I think you are abbreviating the cheer. It should be "Go to Hell, ULL, Go to Hell" Of course, the frats would add an extra little chant in between. So it used to be like this: Fans: "Go to Hell, USL, Go to Hell" frats: "Eat (insert four letter word for excretement)" And then the fans: "Go to Hell, USL, Go to Hell". Repeat until passed out.

Doc

Yes indeed....and it still gets me pumped up just saying it! Brings out memories of a roaring cheer that has been missing from McNeese too long. Truly music to all the old Cowboy fans! :nod:

McNeese75
June 11th, 2006, 10:20 PM
There is always a lot of talk about the bitter rivalry between Montana and Montana State. The McNeese - USL (ULL) rivalry was all that!!:nod: