PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina State on Life Support

superman7515
February 8th, 2012, 09:20 AM
South Carolina State Trustees Stunned By $4 Million Deficit (http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/02/03/3713728/sc-state-trustees-stunned-by-4m.html)

Pearman told committee members that he expected a shortfall of about $3 million, which he attributed largely to the school's drop in tuition revenue from declining student enrollment. It also would have to cover a $750,000 shortfall from the school's dining hall.

The Finance Committee and university President George Cooper will meet again at 10 a.m. Monday to continue discussing plans to deal with the shortfall.

The full board will meet Feb. 16. In a presentation to the committee, board member Maurice Washington said enrollment dropped from 4,933 students in June 2008 to 4,362 students in June 2011.

The school isn't bankrupt, he said, "but it's on life support."

The university must take quick and drastic actions to deal with the shortfall and get the school back on a positive path, Washington said.

One action he suggested was opting out of the costly Division I athletic program.

GlassOnion
February 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM
South Carolina State Trustees Stunned By $4 Million Deficit (http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/02/03/3713728/sc-state-trustees-stunned-by-4m.html)

I smell some incompetant management, or something illegal.

DFW HOYA
February 8th, 2012, 09:34 AM
"It also would have to cover a $750,000 shortfall from the school's dining hall."

When nearly one-fifth of your deficit is in the dining hall for a school where 40% commute anyway, you've got trouble.

T-Dog
February 8th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I smell some incompetant management, or something illegal.

Incompetent management alone shouldn't be off by $6.5 million dollars, especially for a regional public school. It's one thing to think you're making $150 million and it turns out your only making $144 million, but to go from well in the black to deep in the red looks positively criminal.

I-16Bandit
February 8th, 2012, 09:38 AM
"It also would have to cover a $750,000 shortfall from the school's dining hall."

When 20% of your deficit is in the dining hall for a school where 40% commute, you've got trouble.

Makes sense if you saw their QB from the 2010 season. That boy didn't miss one meal.

professor8315
February 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM
GlassOnion
" I smell some incompetant management, or something illegal."

look who's all in the koolaide and don't know the favor! xnonox

it is difficult to meet your projections when the enrolment is down. and it problematic to keep enrollment when your state is using the school as a prong for their agenda. rep. jim cluburn (d) sponsored a transportation center to be built on campus. former governor mark sanford (r) vetoed every building permit for the project that went across his desk. present governor nikki haley and comissioner of wages and means committee accussed the school of stealing money from the project and investigated. the result of the investigation, no money missing. now how do you expect to keep enrollment with all that drama!

now as to the suggestion to opt out of division I athletic program. that is not a viable option that SCSU board will discuss. i've heard from realiable source that the chairman of the board is considering a run for mayor of charleston and he is trying to get media attention by making such a riducleous claims.

south carolina's other state supported schools also faced budget cuts and low enrolment. their budget woes are not headline news. SCSU will not be under such scrutunity when there is a democrat in the governor mansion.

StorminASU
February 8th, 2012, 02:25 PM
it is difficult to meet your projections when the enrolment is down. and it problematic to keep enrollment when your state is using the school as a prong for their agenda. rep. jim cluburn (d) sponsored a transportation center to be built on campus. former governor mark sanford (r) vetoed every building permit for the project that went across his desk. present governor nikki haley and comissioner of wages and means committee accussed the school of stealing money from the project and investigated. the result of the investigation, no money missing. now how do you expect to keep enrollment with all that drama!

Are you serious? I'm pretty sure incoming freshmen don't give a crap how the governor of a state views a school, so pretty sure that doesn't affect enrollment.

What are your sources saying other schools in the state are facing large budget deficits?

You make it sound like it's a Republican conspiracy to drive away enrollment and target SCSU, when you immediately turn around and say all schools are facing low enrollment. Could it be that when Jim Cluburn approved the center, the economy wasn't in such dire straights? I want to see some proof of some of this since $6.5 mill. is an awful lot to lay on someone else's feet.

blueballs
February 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM
SCSU will not be under such scrutunity when there is a democrat in the governor mansion.

Wow, just wow...

I don't even know where to start commenting on that. SMFH...

GlassOnion
February 8th, 2012, 03:50 PM
GlassOnion
" I smell some incompetant management, or something illegal."

look who's all in the koolaide and don't know the favor! xnonox

now as to the suggestion to opt out of division I athletic program. that is not a viable option that SCSU board will discuss. i've heard from realiable source that the chairman of the board is considering a run for mayor of charleston and he is trying to get media attention by making such a riducleous claims.

south carolina's other state supported schools also faced budget cuts and low enrolment. their budget woes are not headline news. SCSU will not be under such scrutunity when there is a democrat in the governor mansion.

Your telling us that SC State is $4,000,000 in debt because the state government didnt build a transportation center?

Thats the dumbest excuse I've ever read. If you lose 600 students, close a dam dorm or two down, release the staff or move them to part-time, cut classes and teachers to keep the student to teacher ratio where it was last year, stop buying food for the 600 nonexistant students, and cut the excess staff from food services. Its not that hard.

This isnt about Republicans and Democrats, this is about the University admin being incompetant.

Seawolf97
February 8th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Your telling us that SC State is $4,000,000 in debt because the state government didnt build a transportation center?

Thats the dumbest excuse I've ever read. If you lose 600 students, close a dam dorm or two down, release the staff or move them to part-time, cut classes and teachers to keep the student to teacher ratio where it was last year, stop buying food for the 600 nonexistant students, and cut the excess staff from food services. Its not that hard.

This isnt about Republicans and Democrats, this is about the University admin being incompetant.

Thats what it sounds like, not a conspiracy against the school the the politicians.

StorminASU
February 8th, 2012, 10:45 PM

I don't know, Republicans are all racists...that's what the professor told me anyways.

DFW HOYA
February 9th, 2012, 08:11 AM
SC State just signed a one game deal to play Texas A&M in November, so they'd better be off "life support" soon.

kdinva
February 9th, 2012, 08:39 AM
SC State just signed a one game deal to play Texas A&M in November, so they'd better be off "life support" soon.

SC ST. @ T A&M in Sept........

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/big-12/2012-texas-am-aggies-football-schedule.php

http://www.scsuathletics.com/news/2012/2/8/FB_0208125107.aspx

this + Arizona should gross at least $1,200,000 in their wallets.

clenz
February 9th, 2012, 08:41 AM

1fbs game doesn't equal enough money to make up that short fall

professor8315
February 9th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I don't know, Republicans are all racists...that's what the professor told me anyways.

i have not said or implied that sc republicians are racist.
my point that the enrollment is down because of all the drama. all newspapers in the state when covering SCSU is always negative especially since 2008 democratic presidental debate was held on campus. it isn't about the jim clyburn center at SCSU. university of south carolina, medical university of south carolina and college of charleston (other state supported school) also recieved jim clyburn sponsored projects but not the bad press.

tell me how not this doesn't affect enrollment?

this thread is not about poor adminstration as this thread started with SCSU board to consider dropping down college competition level. it about how SCSU is used a prong. the board member that made the statedment is considering a run for mayor of charleston and want to look good for the conservative voters.

bosshogg
February 9th, 2012, 12:12 PM
i have not said or implied that sc republicians are racist.
my point that the enrollment is down because of all the drama. all newspapers in the state when covering SCSU is always negative especially since 2008 democratic presidental debate was held on campus. it isn't about the jim clyburn center at SCSU. university of south carolina, medical university of south carolina and college of charleston (other state supported school) also recieved jim clyburn sponsored projects but not the bad press.

tell me how not this doesn't affect enrollment?

this thread is not about poor adminstration as this thread started with SCSU board to consider dropping down college competition level. it about how SCSU is used a prong. the board member that made the statedment is considering a run for mayor of charleston and want to look good for the conservative voters.

if the problem is that the newspapers jump on negative SCSU stories, then the solution is for our administration to stop doing stupid isht.

if we do, then there is no negative story to run. we have to be accountable for our actions.

having said that, scsu will be fine. changes are a coming...and soon.

Libertine
February 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM
the board member that made the statedment is considering a run for mayor of charleston and want to look good for the conservative voters.

So conservatives don't like sports?

superman7515
February 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Well I wasn't trying to politicize anything, merely showing what was going on. Personally, I would think it ashame if SC State dropped from D1. Hopefully things aren't as bad as the individual quoted wanted them to sound, but funding academics has to remain the priority.