PDA

View Full Version : 11-Game Schedule Shortchanges I-AA?

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2006, 06:21 PM
We now have an article from the Richmond Times-Dispatch about the whole 11 games versus 12 games issue. Several points brought up about lack of depth and of course, prep for the playoffs are brought up. Nice to see an article from a paper about the issue. More I-AA coverage about national issues, the better...:thumbsup:

I-AA shortchanged with 11-game slates?
Or would adding 12th game to match I-A level be one too many?
BY JOHN O'CONNOR
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Jun 5, 2006

Give your opinion on this story

Division I-A football programs for decades have had more scholarship players, more full-time assistant coaches and thousands more stadium seats than Division I-AAs. Now the I-As have one more regular-season game.

The NCAA Board of Directors announced in the spring of 2005 that I-As in 2006 can start playing a dozen, one more than generally allowed in the past. The same board determined this spring that there would be no change in I-AA. An 11-game regular season is the limit.

"What makes it different?" asks former University of Richmond quarterback Jimmie Miles.

Advocates of maintaining I-AA's regular-season game ceiling at 11, including UR coach Dave Clawson and William and Mary coach Jimmye Laycock, believe I-AA depth issues and I-AA's playoff system make an 11-game schedule the sensible approach. I-AA programs can offer as many as 63 scholarships -- compared to I-A's 85-scholarship limit -- and compete for 16 postseason berths.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&%09s=1045855934926&c=MGArticle&cid=1149188254636&path=!sports!colleges

MplsBison
June 5th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Face it, I-AA teams need the money.

No I-AA team would play a I-A payday game otherwise.

Not having a 12th game which guarantees a 6th home game and probably a 7th for most schools hurts I-AA.

blukeys
June 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I know some VA. fans might disagree with me but the Richmond Times - Dispatch does a better job of covering ALL of their state's I-AA teams than anyone else outside of Delaware and Montana. Just try and find a New York paper giving the kind of coverage the Times-Dispatch gives.

You don't even see this coverage of the 12th game in Delaware!!!!! This is an excellent article that articulates both sides of the issue well.

There was one really funny moment. The writer interviews the A-10 commissioner Linda Bruno!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yeah, like Linda Bruno has even seen an A-10 football game!!!!!!:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

MR. CHICKEN
June 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM
2003......HENS HANDLED 12....BEAT I-A BOWL BOUND NAVY.....PLAYED 4 MO' AT DUH DANCE.......(SET UH PLAY-OFF RECORD FO' LEAST POINTS ALLOWED......AGIN' DUH HEAVY HITTERS..O' I-AA...DAT SEASON)....CHA-CHING.....KEELER BROUGHT HOME DUH BLING!...........IT CAN BE DONE......WHIFF OUT UH BYE WEEK LADS....16 STRAIGHT....15-1 RECORD................DAT WHAT AH'M TALKIN' 'BOUT..WILLIS....:hyped:......BRAWK!

DTSpider
June 5th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I know some VA. fans might disagree with me but the Richmond Times - Dispatch does a better job of covering ALL of their state's I-AA teams than anyone else outside of Delaware and Montana. Just try and find a New York paper giving the kind of coverage the Times-Dispatch gives.

That's all because the one sports writer who is a UR grad. John O'Connor gets it done.

Mr. C
June 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM
John O'Connor is a really good guy. I've had a chance to cover games with him several times and I have a lot of respect for the man. He does a first-class job and this article is a good example of it. Very thought-provoking story.