PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Network: I-AA Running Backs

cosmo here
June 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Extra Point - I-AA RBs: A running renaissance coming in 2006
By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA - When I look back at past columns, I notice last year's preview saying I-AA running backs are ready to take back their role in the spotlight after a down year.

I’ll take a mulligan on that one.

Last year, quarterbacks dominated the I-AA landscape for the second season in a row. Names like Erik Meyer, Travis Lulay and Richie Williams became synonymous to I-AA followers, and star quarterbacks led their teams deep into the playoffs. The voters took notice as well, with only three running backs finishing in the top eight of the Walter Payton Award voting over the past two seasons.

But running backs did win I-AA’s top individual honor five times in six seasons from 1998-2003, and they’re primed to take back the spotlight in 2006. This time, I really mean it.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN4023747.htm

1. Arkee Whitlock, SIU
2. Clifton Dawson, Harvard
3. Omar Cuff, Delaware
4. Kevin Richardson, ASU
5. James Noble, Cal Poly
6. Lex Hilliard, Montana
7. Alonzo Coleman, Hampton
8. Lerron Moore, WKU
9. Clay Green, Jax St
10. Donald Chapman, Tenn-Martin
11. Jordan Scott, Colgate
12. Steve Baylark, UMass
13. Eldra Buckley, Chattanooga
14. Kyle Steffes, NDSU
15. Scott Phaydavong, Drake

The Next 10
16. Alvin Banks, JMU
17. Elijah Brooks, W&M
18. Pierre Rembert, Illinois St
19. DeShawn Baker, SCSU
20. Vincent Webb, EIU
21. Jeremy McCoy, Alcorn St
22. Jonathan Hurt, Lafayette
23. Andre Wilson, Northern Colorado
24. Mark Dunn, EKU
25. Marcus Mason, YSU

Tandems
1. JMU
2. Furman
3. Nicholls State
4. YSU
5. SIU

Fullbacks
1. Jerome Felton, Furman
2. Broderick Cole, Nicholls State
3. Joe Casey, URI
4. Reuben Mays, Grambling State
5. Ken Cornist, Idaho State

Mid-Major
1. Phaydavong, Drake
2. Jeff Horton, Valpo
3. Bo Ehikioya, Marist
4. J.T. Rogan, USD
5. Todd Harris, SF (Pa.)

CatFan22
June 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evin Groves, Montana St.

Reed Rothchild
June 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Corey Lewis: The best RB you've never heard of. He'll rush for 1,200+ this season and turn a LOT of heads:rotateh: :nod:

OL FU
June 5th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Tandems
1. JMU
2. Furman
3. Nicholls State
4. YSU
5. SIU

Furman will average 300 yards per game on the ground in 2006:nod:

DUPFLFan
June 5th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Alright - a little Drake love...
15. Scott Phaydavong, Drake

Hopefully some one will realize that the o-line is pretty good too.. a running back doesn't run for those numbers on their own..

Ivytalk
June 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Nice tribute to Clifton Dawson, rightly recognized by Matt as I-AA's currently active career rushing leader. Hope he stays healthy!:nod:

HiHiYikas
June 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Can't say that I've seen many of those guys play, but I know Richardson is solid...Arkee Whitlock played great against App in the playoffs; he is fun to watch - even moreso when he's not putting points on the board for the 'other' team. Hope he has a great year.

As for Jerome Felton, he's the David Ortiz of the SoCon. In other words, he's the opposing player that I most hate to see coming. He's also NFL-big (he's actually the same size as Brad Hoover, only a few pounds heavier) and fun to watch. I hope he has 10 outstanding games and 1 average one (on Oct 28, perhaps?) this coming regular season.

youwouldno
June 5th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Tandems
1. JMU
2. Furman
3. Nicholls State
4. YSU
5. SIU

The Paladins are going to be nasty on the ground. Gray's passing consistency remains to be seen-- I think he'll be fine-- but he has tremendous ball skills in the backfield. His running and pitching ability is really something when teamed with Gipson to the outside and Felton up the middle. And they're all juniors!

I'm anxious to see R-Fr RB Stephone LaFrance. I haven't seen him play but from what I read and hear, his athleticism is really special. After a couple seasons backing up Gipson/Felton, LaFrance/Salley could take over as the best HB/FB pair in I-AA.

With GSU dumping the trip option, the SoCon team rushing crown is up for grabs. Wofford runs the option of course but they don't have the caliber offense the Paladins do. GSU will still run a good bit. Heck, I don't think you can win the SoCon without a good ground game. App St. took off because of Richardson (and his blockers).

colgate13
June 5th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Scott and Baylark face off in the first game of the season...

Besides Noble and Scott, any other sophomores on this list?

EKU05
June 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM
In addition to the listed Mark Dunn (a 1A lock until an injury during his senior year in high school)...we also have a transfer from NC State. I think that has to be in the top 10 "tandems" if you're going to list them.

Umass74
June 5th, 2006, 06:06 PM
UMass had OL troubles last year. In pre-season we lost BOTH starting tackles for the year. Both were 5-year seniors and one was a UMass captain. That hurt. In addition, one of the three remaining starters lost some significant time.

If the current line stays healthy, I expect excellent numbers from Baylark. Four thousand yard seasons would be a great achievement.:hurray:

kats89
June 5th, 2006, 07:02 PM
The Nicholls St backs are solid and big. It will be interesting though to see how they fair this year with their QB Yale Vannoy gone. That guy was something running the triple option. They are tough at home, but so-so on the road

SHSU had the luxury for the last 4 seasons of having the same RB tandem, Jason Godfrey and Stevie Smith. They will be missed this year, however a little JUCO transfer from last year turned some heads this spring. We will see what he can do. RB will be a very young position for us this year. Here are our RB's that should carry the load in '06

1 Andrew Audelin RB 5-9 201 Jr-1L Miami, FL / Curley
44 Desmond Mays RB 6-0 212 Fr-RS Normangee
43 Courtney Johnson RB 6-0 205 So-Sq Jacksonville

Sleeper......
28 Magic Robinson RB 5-8 180 Fr-HS Klein / Klein Forest
(This kid posted a 10.4 100meters as a junior in high school.)

blukeys
June 5th, 2006, 07:19 PM
No player meant more to a team's offense than Omar Cuff. With UD Losing all 4 starting senior wideouts to injuries and discipline. The opposing defenses obviously keyed on Omar. Despite this, Cuff still got 1200+ yards rushing and 400+ yards receiving. Omar needs only a sliver of daylight to break a run and even plays that look like no gain bring up 2 and 7 or 2 and 6. The closest back I compare him to is UNH's former star Jerry Azumah although he appears to be a better receiver than Azumah. :)

MR. CHICKEN
June 5th, 2006, 07:52 PM
AN' OUR O LINE WAS CONTINUALLY REBUILDIN'....AS GUARDS MOVED TA TACKLE AN' CENTER....AS DUH NEED AROSE.......:nod:....AWK!

jmuroller
June 5th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Alvin Banks=most underrated RB in 1-AA. He is a 1,400 yd. rusher/400 yds receiver if he was on his own. The only reason he doesn't get the attention is because he missed half of his soph year with injury and split carries last year with 2 other guys. He averaged over 5.5 yds a carry last year.

eagle1
June 5th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Can't believe that Ryan Cole from EWU was not included in these rankings. He had 875 yds rushing and 15 TDs in 2005.
http://www.ewu.edu/Images/depts/athletics/football/05fbcaColeRyanRun.jpg

Reed Rothchild
June 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Arkee scares me with a trip to Carbondale this year!!! :eek: :nod:

MR. CHICKEN
June 5th, 2006, 09:16 PM
ANYBODAH NAMED ARKEE...WOOD SCARE DUH AVIAN!

Tribe4SF
June 6th, 2006, 06:28 AM
17. Elijah Brooks, WMU

While it's great to see Elijah on the list, I've never heard of a I-AA school named WMU.:nono: William and Mary is, in fact, the nation's first university, but is titled The College of William and Mary. Just stick with W&M, or WM, Matt.:smiley_wi

Brad82
June 6th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Joe Casey from Rhody needs to be ranked higher.

Jag4Life
June 6th, 2006, 07:36 AM
UMass had OL troubles last year. In pre-season we lost BOTH starting tackles for the year. Both were 5-year seniors and one was a UMass captain. That hurt. In addition, one of the three remaining starters lost some significant time.

If the current line stays healthy, I expect excellent numbers from Baylark. Four thousand yard seasons would be a great achievement.:hurray:
Same problem for us last year!

blackfordpu
June 6th, 2006, 08:06 AM
The Nicholls St backs are solid and big. It will be interesting though to see how they fair this year with their QB Yale Vannoy gone. That guy was something running the triple option. They are tough at home, but so-so on the road

SHSU had the luxury for the last 4 seasons of having the same RB tandem, Jason Godfrey and Stevie Smith. They will be missed this year, however a little JUCO transfer from last year turned some heads this spring. We will see what he can do. RB will be a very young position for us this year. Here are our RB's that should carry the load in '06

1 Andrew Audelin RB 5-9 201 Jr-1L Miami, FL / Curley
44 Desmond Mays RB 6-0 212 Fr-RS Normangee
43 Courtney Johnson RB 6-0 205 So-Sq Jacksonville

Sleeper......
28 Magic Robinson RB 5-8 180 Fr-HS Klein / Klein Forest
(This kid posted a 10.4 100meters as a junior in high school.)

With his smaller size shouldn't he be moved to a WR or slot?

I am looking forward to seeing what Mays can do.:nod:

DetroitFlyer
June 6th, 2006, 08:11 AM
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2005&div=5&rpt=IAA_teamrush&site=org

In 2005, Dayton had the number 6 ranked rushing offense in I-AA, just ahead of Scotty P and Drake. Dayton had no superstar running back, the running was by committee and the QB, Kevin Hoyng. Let's hear it for those offensive lineman that make it possible for these back to excel!

cosmo here
June 6th, 2006, 08:18 AM
17. Elijah Brooks, WMU

While it's great to see Elijah on the list, I've never heard of a I-AA school named WMU.:nono: William and Mary is, in fact, the nation's first university, but is titled The College of William and Mary. Just stick with W&M, or WM, Matt.:smiley_wi

Don't put that on Matt, if you click on the link he writes William & Mary. I shortened a couple with standard abbreviations, well, except for W&M. :)

DUPFLFan
June 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Dayton ran 60 more running plays and the same pass plays last year.

But your point about the O-line is well made. None of this happens without good o-lines from Dayton (led by Ross Mroczek) and Drake (led by Dave Pammer):hurray:

Tribe4SF
June 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Don't put that on Matt, if you click on the link he writes William & Mary. I shortened a couple with standard abbreviations, well, except for W&M. :)

Dont let it happen again!!!:D

UNH 40
June 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM
How is Lex Hilliard not ranked higher than #6. In my opinion he is far and away the best back in the country.

C-Rock
June 6th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Arkee is the best RB in the country. Glad he is being mentioned among the elite.

Look out for Kendrick Smith this year for the Salukis. Coffeyville CC transfer will share carries with Arkee.

Craig Turner no longer plays RB. He is a CB and also returns punts and kicks.

asu70
June 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Tandems
1. JMU
2. Furman
3. Nicholls State
4. YSU
5. SIU

JMU's tandem must be great to be better than Gibson and Felton, but I'll get a chance to see for myself which tandem I think is better because JMU and FU have a visit to "The Rock" this fall. Talk about two great college football games these are it.

blukeys
June 6th, 2006, 08:00 PM
How is Lex Hilliard not ranked higher than #6. In my opinion he is far and away the best back in the country.

You didn't have to play against Omar.:nod: :nod:

Uncle Buck
June 7th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Kind of wondering the same thing. The kid is built like a mack truck and can flat out run.

UNH 40
June 7th, 2006, 08:09 AM

But I did play against Hilliard, and he is flat out tremendous. I also played against Marcel Shipp, Brian Leonard from Rutgers, and Brian Westbrook. Hilliard is as good or better than 2 of those 3. He runs with a mean streak, I love that in a running back.

Ronbo
June 7th, 2006, 08:17 AM
We use a running game by commitee. Lex always shares carries with number two and three. The coaches want to keep him fresh and reduce the chance for injury. Lex averages about 20 carries a game. You'll see Reggie Bradshaw, Brady Green, and the new guy from Iowa State get the rest of the carries.

If Lex Hilliard got 30 carries a game he'd have a 2100 yard season with 20+ TD's.

UNH 40
June 7th, 2006, 08:26 AM
We use a running game by commitee. Lex always shares carries with number two and three. The coaches want to keep him fresh and reduce the chance for injury. Lex averages about 20 carries a game. You'll see Reggie Bradshaw, Brady Green, and the new guy from Iowa State get the rest of the carries.

If Lex Hilliard got 30 carries a game he'd have a 2100 yard season with 20+ TD's.

Great Point.

UNH 40
June 7th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Take a look at last years numbers between Cuff and Hilliard. Last season Hilliard ran for 1322 yds that is 117 yds more than Cuff ran for on the exact same number of carries. Hilliard is a better back.

VictorG
June 7th, 2006, 08:39 AM

This is true about most of the positions on the Griz which is one of the reasons we're so high on the team this year, especially the defense. It makes for great depth! About the only positions that I can think of that aren't handled by committee is QB, OL and our special teams.

I actually think this cost us a few games last year or at the minimum, several long drives that would have turned into points. It seemed like last year when we'd abandon the passing game (for obvious reasons), Lex would run the ball 5 or 6 times in a series, we'd pickup a few first downs and be marching down the field. Then, Lex would go out for a breather and we'd go 3 and out.

I think we'll still be doing running back by committee as stated above, but the drop off between Lex and the player that spells him will not be near as great. I can't wait to see some of these guys run the ball. Plus, I don't think we'll have the problems in our passing attack we had last year. More offense, better defense.........God I can't wait! Is it August yet?????:)

GannonFan
June 7th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Take a look at last years numbers between Cuff and Hilliard. Last season Hilliard ran for 1322 yds that is 117 yds more than Cuff ran for on the exact same number of carries. Hilliard is a better back.

Come on, is that a serious argument? Did they run behind the same offensive line with the same offensive personnel on the field against the same defenses? No, of course they didn't. I think most reasonable people would rate Montana as a better overall team than UD last year so I think Hilliard had the advantage of running behind a better offensive line (UD was forced to burn a redshirt on a guy just to have enough offensive linemen late in the year due to massive injuries), better offensive personnel (UD was forced to start all redshirt freshmen at WR in the year as the top 4 returning WR's were lost for the season to injury), and you could argue that the A10 is a better defensive conference (subjective on that one). Plus, you left out the fact that Cuff was the better receiver of the two (Cuff - 41 catches for 414 yds, Hilliard 11 catches for 144 yards).

If you're going to argue the point, great, just come with something better than comparing the yards carried when they weren't all that far apart to begin with on that stat.

Ronbo
June 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Come on, is that a serious argument? Did they run behind the same offensive line with the same offensive personnel on the field against the same defenses? No, of course they didn't. I think most reasonable people would rate Montana as a better overall team than UD last year so I think Hilliard had the advantage of running behind a better offensive line (UD was forced to burn a redshirt on a guy just to have enough offensive linemen late in the year due to massive injuries), better offensive personnel (UD was forced to start all redshirt freshmen at WR in the year as the top 4 returning WR's were lost for the season to injury), and you could argue that the A10 is a better defensive conference (subjective on that one). Plus, you left out the fact that Cuff was the better receiver of the two (Cuff - 41 catches for 414 yds, Hilliard 11 catches for 144 yards).

If you're going to argue the point, great, just come with something better than comparing the yards carried when they weren't all that far apart to begin with on that stat.

Boy, you just brought up a sore spot for Griz fans. They don't throw to Lex enough! Lex averaged less than one catch a game and I don't remember him dropping a ball. Lex averaged 13.09 yards per catch. If they had thrown him 41 balls Lex would have had 536 yards receiving.

SoCon48
June 7th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Kind of wondering the same thing. The kid is built like a mack truck and can flat out run.
My monitor is a little blurry. Did you say he was flattened out by a mack truck?:)

Uncle Buck
June 7th, 2006, 10:00 AM
My monitor is a little blurry. Did you say he was flattened out by a mack truck?:)

No, but he looks big enough to give a mack truck a hell of a fight

Tailbone
June 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM

How's this?

Lex Hilliard WAS the offense.
He would take a hand-off 7 yards deep and run straight into the pile (defense).....time after time after time (I thought it was a poor offensive strategy).
Hilliard did a hell of a job when you consider that everyone knew who was getting the ball and where he was going to run on every play!

I'm surprised at how well the Griz performed last year given the one dimensional nature of the offense.
This year will surprise a lot of poeple and you will see a much greater YPC from Lex. Of course, he will still be sharing touches, but the defense will have to be much more cautious about keying on him.
Time will tell.

GannonFan
June 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
How's this?

Lex Hilliard WAS the offense.
He would take a hand-off 7 yards deep and run straight into the pile (defense).....time after time after time (I thought it was a poor offensive strategy).
Hilliard did a hell of a job when you consider that everyone knew who was getting the ball and where he was going to run on every play!

You can pretty much take every sentence you wrote, change it to the Blue Hens, and change Hilliard's name for Cuff's, and you would still be absolutely accurate. I'm pretty sure you can't find a UD fan who thinks that Cuff wasn't used enough last year (obviously, it was quite the opposite, especially considering that Cuff was also the team's leading receiver last year). And at least the rest of Montana's team was able to pull together enough wins to get to the playoffs - Cuff's supporting cast wasn't up to that task. Like I said, if you're just going to look at the yards rushed, you're missing the whole picture.

GeauxColonels
June 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Tandems
1. JMU
2. Furman
3. Nicholls State
4. YSU
5. SIU

Fullbacks
1. Jerome Felton, Furman
2. Broderick Cole, Nicholls State
3. Joe Casey, URI
4. Reuben Mays, Grambling State
5. Ken Cornist, Idaho State

That MORE than explains the 14-12 score in last year's playoffs. TONS of running huh?

What offense does Furman run?

LBPop
June 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
17. Elijah Brooks, WMU
...it's great to see Elijah on the list...

In case anyone cares, both Brooks and Scott of Colgate came out of the same high school program. It's a great source of college talent at all levels. Another mediocre I-AA RB from that school is that Westbrook guy with the Eagles.:rolleyes:

GeauxColonels
June 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM
The Nicholls St backs are solid and big. It will be interesting though to see how they fair this year with their QB Yale Vannoy gone. That guy was something running the triple option.
That's what we thought a few years ago when we lost Josh Son at QB - he finished his eligibility at Nicholls as the leading rusher in school history, a QB! But Yale filled his shoes pretty well and, from what I hear, the new QBs really shouldn't miss a beat.

Incidentally, Josh Son has been coaching as a graduate assistant over the past few seasons.

GeauxColonels
June 7th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Nicholls State Rushing Stats:

2005: 1st in SLC; 364.8 yds/game; 5.8 yds/carry; 38 TDs; 4 of top 10 rushers in SLC came from Nicholls.

2004: 1st in SLC; 249.3 yds/game; 4.5 yds/carry; 24 TDs; 4 of top 10 rushers in SLC came from Nicholls.

It should be mentioned that Nicholls ranked dead last in passing in the SLC in 2004 and 2005.

mikebigg
June 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Grambling's Ab Kuuan didn't have gaudy stats but he did average 5 yards per carry. He was clutch when called upon to pick up short yardage and touchdowns. In a more run oriented offense, he would easily be a 1K yard rusher... even in our spread, with 5 more carries a game he could still do it based on last years ypc.

mikebigg
June 7th, 2006, 09:35 PM
That's what we thought a few years ago when we lost Josh Son at QB - he finished his eligibility at Nicholls as the leading rusher in school history, a QB! But Yale filled his shoes pretty well and, from what I hear, the new QBs really shouldn't miss a beat.

Incidentally, Josh Son has been coaching as a graduate assistant over the past few seasons.

Josh Son was a tough sonavan gun. I coached against him in Biddy Basketball and one of my sons played in the All-Star game with Josh. They came in 2nd in the nation in the 10 year old group. We also competed against them in tackle football following an undefeated Baton Rouge City championship season. Went crossed the Miss River Bridge over into Brusly (Bru-lee), La and won a 8-0 dogfight win... Josh kept taking big hits and keep running that option. We just were too tough but they were a good team.

Mr. C
June 7th, 2006, 10:12 PM
That MORE than explains the 14-12 score in last year's playoffs. TONS of running huh?

Furman runs the same I formation power game that they have run since Art Baker was coaching in the 1970s. The Paladins will run a lot more option this year (similar to the old Nebraska option attack) with Gray replacing Martin at QB. With Billy Napier and Ingle Martin, Furman used the pass more than they had in previous years, lining up a bunch in slot formations. With Jerome Felton at FB and some good young tailbacks to team with Gray, I expect the Paladins to grind it out this season with a lot of rushing.

Mr. C
June 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Matt's top six are all great backs, including Lex. But I would agree with him on Arkee Whitlock. Whitlock was the best runner I saw last season. He can gain yards when there are no holes. Dawson, when he is healthy, is an absolute stud. Speedy enough to take it around the corner and tough enough to get inside yards. Dawson had a lot of injury problems in 2005. Richardson and Noble are talented runners who have a lot of room to develop. They should both have great years this season. Cuff is very tough.

DaGriz
June 7th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Here's Hilliard in 04 as a soph. running in the playoffs. First play of either half and about the 5th play in the first half are pretty good runs .

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2005_2006_an/Media/Football/2004_Audio_V/first_half_nsu.wmv

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2005_2006_an/Media/Football/2004_Audio_V/second_half_nsu.wmv

Ronbo
June 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
These are great clips and you can really get a feel for Lex's speed. Lex is 6' 225 lbs. and runs a 4.5. Size and speed will get Lex to the next level.

GannonFan
June 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
These are great clips and you can really get a feel for Lex's speed. Lex is 6' 225 lbs. and runs a 4.5. Size and speed will get Lex to the next level.

A lot of guys have size and speed - that alone won't get him to the next level. The guys who make the next level are the ones who can hit holes effectively, block, catch out of the backfield, etc. Combine results like size and speed get you in the door, but to stay there you need the whole package. Based on what little I've seen of him he'll get in the door, and he could stick. Time will tell though. Good back right now for Montana, that's for sure.

Ronbo
June 8th, 2006, 09:37 AM
You'll notice Lex not only has a good nose for daylight he's hard to bring down. He runs people over and breaks tackles. I've noticed he almost never gets taken down by the first or second guy. The Pros look for this too.

SuperJon
June 8th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Rashad Jennings has to be on here somewhere. The kid was the 2nd leading rusher for Pittsburgh last year averaging 4.8 yds per carry and averaged the most yards per game of any running back at Pitt (played in one less game). All of this was as a freshman. He's now at Liberty. The OL and others things for LU might hurt him, but he's easily one of the top backs in the country.

GeauxColonels
June 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM
The Paladins will run a lot more option this year (similar to the old Nebraska option attack) with Gray replacing Martin at QB.
Tha's pretty much what Nicholls has done the last 5 or so years. They have FINALLY recruited to suit the offense instead of getting good players and trying to fit them into the option. It DEFINITELY works better the former approach rather than the latter approach.

Rabbit3467
June 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I think if you are looking at the top tandem running backs that SDSU's tandem of Watson and Koenig have to get some mention also. Here are their stats from last year. They are both back again this year.

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G

-----------------------------------------------------------

Cory Koenig 11 167 1000 13 987 5.9 8 52 89.7

Anthony Watson 11 116 923 15 908 7.8 10 59 82.5

LarryBoy
June 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM

The last minutes of that game were a sight to see. Everyone in Greenville county knew Felton was getting the ball every play. Even though it was a two point game, our objective was not to score, of course, which is why the clock ran down with us sitting inside the 15 yard line.

That's a playoff game where Bobby Lamb's conservative second-half style worked out. The 6 point lead over James Madison in 2004? Different story.

Let's hope Gray can throw.

slostang
June 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I think if you are looking at the top tandem running backs that SDSU's tandem of Watson and Koenig have to get some mention also. Here are their stats from last year. They are both back again this year.

I think either or both could of/should of made the top 25. If I had to take just one of the two I would take Koenig. Watson is great, but Koenig hits the hole with a head of steam. Koenig had a great game against what is usually a very good Cal Poly run defense.

Tod
June 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM

WOW! :eek: :eek:

golionsgo
June 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Most people won't think of us as a running team because of the Air Raid offense but we have two I-A transfers who are bona-fide studs in Jay Lucas (5-11, 225, 4.5, Soph. Texas A&M) and Kendrick Perry (6-2, 230, 4.55, Fresh., Ole Miss). Both are physical, athletic, power runners and great receivers out of the backfield. I look for both to have a major impact in the SLC in 2006.

Chi Panther
June 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM
http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/silu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2004Stats

What Arkee did as a soph with Jacobs, Jackson and Turner also in the backfield is extremely impressive.....

Rabbit3467
June 8th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I think either or both could of/should of made the top 25. If I had to take just one of the two I would take Koenig. Watson is great, but Koenig hits the hole with a head of steam. Koenig had a great game against what is usually a very good Cal Poly run defense.

If we can get a QB to step up these two can have an even better season this year. Did lose some good o-lineman but the coaches have always been good about replacing them.

GeauxColonels
June 9th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Most people won't think of us as a running team because of the Air Raid offense but we have two I-A transfers who are bona-fide studs in Jay Lucas (5-11, 225, 4.5, Soph. Texas A&M) and Kendrick Perry (6-2, 230, 4.55, Fresh., Ole Miss). Both are physical, athletic, power runners and great receivers out of the backfield. I look for both to have a major impact in the SLC in 2006.
Jay Lucas....is that the kid that won a few LHSAA championships at Redemptorist High in Baton Rouge?

GoGuins
June 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM
YSU's 4 "sons" will be a force this year

TB's - Marcus Mason, Monty Gibson
FB's - Deke Ison, Regis Edgerson
RB/WR - Josh Cayson

Mason, Gibson, & Cayson all are YSU leading rushers the past 3 seasons. Ison is 1st team GFC FB.

GeauxLions94
June 9th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Jay Lucas....is that the kid that won a few LHSAA championships at Redemptorist High in Baton Rouge?

Yep, that's him. His dad was a former basketball player here in the 70's. Next to Cole, Tobias and Morgan we could potentially have the best RB trio in the Southland with Lucas, Kendrick Perry and Mario Gilbert :twocents:

GeauxColonels
June 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Yep, that's him. His dad was a former basketball player here in the 70's. Next to Cole, Tobias and Morgan we could potentially have the best RB trio in the Southland with Lucas, Kendrick Perry and Mario Gilbert :twocents:
I saw him run around Curtis in the Dome a few years ago. He's a really tallented kid. Any word on why he's leaving A&M?

GeauxLions94
June 9th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Left A&M for playing time and to be closer to home. Came in after Christmas and went through spring practice. Highlight was 98-yard TD reception in spring game. :eek:

fuEMO
June 9th, 2006, 02:11 PM
The last minutes of that game were a sight to see. Everyone in Greenville county knew Felton was getting the ball every play. Even though it was a two point game, our objective was not to score, of course, which is why the clock ran down with us sitting inside the 15 yard line.

That's a playoff game where Bobby Lamb's conservative second-half style worked out. The 6 point lead over James Madison in 2004? Different story.

Let's hope Gray can throw.

Gray can throw. He only played his senior year at quarterback. He set the Greenwood single season passing record throwing for 2,431 yards.

The question mark on Gray is his touch. Ingle continued to develop under Bobbby and I think the same will hold true for Renaldo.

I agree somewhat with Mr. C about the Furman offense. Prior to the Billy Napier and Ingle Martin years Furman ran the belly option with alot of power sweep stuff. Gray is a huge upgrade on the pitch, so I still think you will see various slot formations and a true triple option. When you think of Furman and their version of the option you also have to be aware of the tight end. Furman has always used the tightend in the option very well. With 3 big tightends that can block, catch and run very well I see them being used alot.

PantherRob82
June 9th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I definitely think that UNI's running game will be better than expected. As a freshman Corey Lewis shredded YSU's D in the second half.

Lionsrking
June 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Make that a foursome as we can't forget about Matt Betts who will be a true freshman. All I have to say is opposing DBs better have their chin straps buckled tight!!!

Lionsrking
June 9th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Left A&M for playing time and to be closer to home. Came in after Christmas and went through spring practice. Highlight was 98-yard TD reception in spring game. :eek:

The most impressive thing about that Lucas TD catch/run in the spring game was he made a phenomenal catch over his shoulder and turned on jets I didn't realize he had. He's at least a step or two quicker than he was in high school and about 10 lbs heavier. Just glad we have him for three years and Kendrick Perry and Matt Betts for four.

FL connection
June 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised EIU was rated as low with all the offensive lineman returning, with the exception of Matla (Saints)........have some good young runners beside Webb and also return Ademoli (SP?)....also the fact we should be able to throw the ball a bit more this year.....looks promising!!!! connection out!!