PDA

View Full Version : Rate your football coach

paytonlives
June 3rd, 2006, 08:32 PM
Hey since most of us don't know the other coaches around the country I thought it might be nice to get opinions on the coach of their team.

Strengths?
Weeknesses?
When In trouble what does he do?
On 4th and three is he more likley to pass or run the ball?

Give him a grade and be realistic. I'm trying to get real info about your team and its coach.

Tod
June 3rd, 2006, 08:37 PM
Hey since most of us don't know the other coaches around the country I thought it might be nice to get opinions on the coach of their team.

Strengths?
Weeknesses?

Give him a grade and be realistic. I'm trying to get real info about your team and its coach.

Punt, I hope! :D :D

MR. CHICKEN
June 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
K.C. KEELER:

HE WEARS SHADES......LIKE UH POKER PLAYER.....NO-ONE SEE HIS EYES

HE CALLS ALL DUH SHOTS.........AT CRUNCH TIME.......HOWEVERAH...LETS DUH O-CO-ORDINATOR...AN' D-CO-ORDINATOR......HAVE DERE WAY

HE'S UH MOTOR-MOUTH ON HIS RADIO SHOW.......INVITES...KEY SENIORS TA COME ON...DEN PROCEEDS.......TA HOG DERE AIR TIME

SAYS HIS STAFF ALWAYS PUTS HIS KIDS...INNA POSITION TA WIN/LOSE

ON ROAD TRIPS.......GETS SUBS...FROM MARY

AH THINK HE SECRETLY ASKS...TUBBY......"HOW DUH HELL CAN AH BEAT WM & MARY?"

GOTS UH HOT...LOOKIN' LADY..IN NANCY.....2 ALL-AMERICAN KIDDIES

THINKS HE ONCE BEGGED TUBBY...TA PAINT DUH POWDER-ROOM....AH MEAN...PORTRAIT...AWK!

IS SUPERSTITIOUS.......EATS DUH CAJUN WINGS.......EVERAH WEDNESDAY NIGHT....AS LONG AS DUH HENS ARE ON UH ROLL

GOES TA DUH DORMS...TA RALLY STUDENTS...INTA TUBBY FIELD

JOGS WHIFF WIFEY...&... DUH KIDDIES...B/4....DUH BIG ONES

HE'S UH RAH-RAH TYPE......WHIFF NO SHORTAGE O' WORDS....ON ANY TOPIC......YA'LL CAN POSE

HE LOOKS ESPECIALLY HANDSOME...IN GORE-TEX

LIKES TA THROW ON FIRST DOWN/WHIFF FIELD POSITION...RUN ON SECOND..........ON 3rd AN' 8..........CHUCKS IT TA DUH TIGHT END....FO' UH GAIN O' SIX.......DEN WE KICK............USUALLY UH POOCHIE...OR UH SHANK!

HE'LL RUN OMAR.....TIL OMAR...SAYS "UNCLE".......WHIFF FLACCO......MIGHT TOSS DUH PIGSTER......TIL....JOEY SAY.."ENOUGH ALREADY"

LOVES DUH BLUE HEN FAMILY.......NATURAL GRASS TURF......BING......&....TIMOTHY'S.....DEER PARK....OR.....KLONDIKE'S.....WHIFF DUH STAFF.....IN DUH OFF-SEASON

WONDERS...WHO IN DUH BEE-JESUS.....IS DIS GUY "RALPH'.......WHO HOUNDS HIM FO' INTERVIEWS.....AN'...OPINIONS....AN' SUCH?

HEY WHAT DUH HECK DOES UH "PECKER-HEAD" KNOW....:twocents:...ANY-HOO??????

A+.........BROUGHT DUH BLING...TA NEWARK......IN 2003!.........:thumbsup:..........BRAWK!

CatFan22
June 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
I hate our OC.

MR. CHICKEN
June 3rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
DID YA SPRAY PAINT DAT SENTIMENT.....ON HIS.......WHITE PICKETT FENCE?.........:confused:........BRAWK!

CatFan22
June 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Kramer is king, though.

MR. CHICKEN
June 3rd, 2006, 10:28 PM
ANDY TALLEY.......UH DWEEB........WHIFF ILLUSIONS O' GRANDEUR!

SEAN MCDONNELL.....LUCKED INTA..SANTOS & BALL....WHEN DERE GONE...SEAN'S..GONE!

CLAWSON......RICHMOND'S....KC...KEELER!

COHEN..........HOFSTRA'S......KC...KEELER

STOWERS......HIT HIM IN DUH BEANIE WHIFF UH BRICK....HE'LL RESPOND..."AH SAY...DID SOMEONE..LOSE UH BRICK"..........AWK!

TOWSON'S GORDY......GIVE HIM DUH FULL 63......AN' MAYBEAH..HE'LL BEAT...RHODEY!

DON BROWN..........STILL WEARS UH NOR'EASTER TEE....UNDER DAT UMASS.....GOLF SHIRT!

MICKEY MATHEWS.........MOMMA WOODAH NAMED HIM..MICKEY MOUSE...BUT DISNEY BEAT HER TO IT!

COSGROVE.......WAITIN' FO' MIKE BUCK'S KID..TA BECOME COLLEGE READY!

JIMMYE LAYCOCKE.........WORRYIN' MO' 'BOUT DUH FEATHERAHS...DAN DUH DEFENSE!

NOR'EASTER'S HEAD MAN...AH'M BLANKIN' LADS........AN' DUH 2000 REGULARS AT PARSON'S ....xcoffeex....ARE TOO!

BUK!...BUK!...BUK!...BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

blackfordpu
June 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
It is a little too early to say about TW. We'll see after this season. Though so far he has shown some poor judgement at times.

DaGriz
June 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
Quote:

Punt, I hope!

Shovel pass is always an option with us too.

June 3rd, 2006, 11:08 PM
ANDY TALLEY.......UH DWEEB...Um, can we please keep smack off this board? :nono:

MR. CHICKEN
June 3rd, 2006, 11:16 PM
:o :o :o

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM

Strengths?
Weeknesses?

I'd give Tavani an A+ and he is going to win the Eddie Robinson Award one of these coming years.

One of his greatest strengths is he always has the team motivated or charged up in some manner, such as conveying a theme and building from there. That is where pride passion purpose came from.. that is how he gets the team motivated for Lehigh.. and that's how we got up for Richmond after being reamed by Princeton in 2004.

Weaknesses... um, can't beat an Ivy nor Colgate. I am a little fuzzy on particulars right now, perhaps some Pard breathern can help out.

And on 4th and three.. he's likely to send out special team and run a fake. I can sniff out a Tavan fake a mile away.

Tod
June 3rd, 2006, 11:37 PM
Shovel pass is always an option with us too.

Sure, and I realize PL was asking opinion on a 4th and 3 in a must go situation. I was just making the (obvious) joke. :D

A shovel pass or fake is probably what the Griz would do, IMHO.

BigDukeDawg
June 3rd, 2006, 11:43 PM
Considering we still havnt gotten an offensive line coach i give mick a D, Newsome basically ran this team and took em to the NC.... i hate that he went to that oVeraTed school

golionsgo
June 4th, 2006, 12:21 AM

Strengths?
Weeknesses?

Love Dennis Roland!!! Tremendous personality, work ethic, aggressive, knows the game, and is a great recruiter!!! Have a feeling we'll be knocking on the playoff door REAL SOON!!!

Stang Fever
June 4th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Coach E

Strengths - Excellent Motivator, he is always thinking of new ways on both sides of the ball to make the game more favorable to our advantage. Gets the most out of all his players (demands full speed practice)

Weekness - its hard to call it a weekness but, is not afraid to call a fake punt ask Troy St. went for two of them in the first half only lost by 10 points or so.

When in trouble????

4th and 3 he is going to run. I joke with sme players that if he could, he would run a quarterback sneak every play. He def. wants to run first pass if he has to.

Overall I love coach E, he can be a hand full.....his bark is worst then his bite if you know how to deal with him

jmuroller
June 4th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Considering we still havnt gotten an offensive line coach i give mick a D, Newsome basically ran this team and took em to the NC.... i hate that he went to that oVeraTed school

You're right..we should just cancel the season cause we don't have a chance this year!:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

kats89
June 4th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Did we have to start this conversation?

I wasn't too impressed with our first year coach Todd Whitten last year. Poor decsion making, non-motivational of players and seemed very confused during his first season. He better pick it up this season or he could be shown the door just after 2 seasons.

slostang
June 4th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Coach E

Strengths - Excellent Motivator, he is always thinking of new ways on both sides of the ball to make the game more favorable to our advantage. Gets the most out of all his players (demands full speed practice)

Weekness - its hard to call it a weekness but, is not afraid to call a fake punt ask Troy St. went for two of them in the first half only lost by 10 points or so.

When in trouble????

4th and 3 he is going to run. I joke with sme players that if he could, he would run a quarterback sneak every play. He def. wants to run first pass if he has to.

Overall I love coach E, he can be a hand full.....his bark is worst then his bite if you know how to deal with him
I agree with all of the above. I would go even farther and say he is one of the top coaches in I-AA. When Ellerson got to Cal Poly five years ago the program was a mess. It was comming off three straight 3-8 seasons with a fairly weak schedule and it had some of the worst facilities in I-AA. In the few years since he has been here he has turned Cal Poly into a top ten program that is not afraid to play any team. Cal Poly is completing a $21.5 million renovation project of their stadium this summer and it is just the first of four phases. He has also recruited and coached the last two Buchanan winners. As long as he stays at Cal Poly, they will have a chance to compete for a national championship.

Also I would add that "when in trouble" he will get conservative on offense and bring the house on defense.

Ronbo
June 4th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Don't fall in too much love with Ellerson SloStang. Once a Coach has 2-3 successful years in I-AA they get offered I-A positions. Hauck came close to going to San Diego State this year. He was in the final 3. He probably had some lesser schools offer that he never even pursued and we never heard about. Everyone in Grizland are convinced that Hauck will be gone after 2006 and 2007. Both years the Griz should be very strong as we will be Junior dominated this year.

slostang
June 4th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Don't fall in too much love with Ellerson SloStang. Once a Coach has 2-3 successful years in I-AA they get offered I-A positions. Hauck came close to going to San Diego State this year. He was in the final 3. He probably had some lesser schools offer that he never even pursued and we never heard about. Everyone in Grizland are convinced that Hauck will be gone after 2006 and 2007. Both years the Griz should be very strong as we will be Junior dominated this year.
Ellerson just signed an extention through the 2013 season. Talking to people close to him say they expect him to be here that long because he wants to get his son through school here in San Luis Obispo.

Ronbo
June 4th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Don't be so sure. The I-A's buy out contracts all the time. If you are consistently successful you will lose your coach. Ask Montana and GSU fans. Furman too. And Youngstown. They still haven't recovered from losing a good coach.

ngineer
June 4th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Obviously, all of the Brown and White fans have nothing to offer at this point. We'll have to issue Coen his report card--hopefully in late December.;)

Ronbo
June 4th, 2006, 12:08 PM
As far as Ellerson wanting to help his son get through school let's see:

A MWC school comes calling for $750,000 a year plus incentives. He's making what $150,000 now, or is it less or more?

Hmmm.... I think $750,000 a year would help get several kids through school.:smiley_wi

UNH 40
June 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Coach Macdonnell is the best coach in the country. Despite the lack of good facilities and fan support coach Mac. continues to bring in high quality athletes and more importantly good charactor kids. Recruiting high charactor players has developed a team unity that I bet is unmatched among most teams. Yes Santos and Ball are a big reason for the recent success, but lets also remember that Ball was a walk-on that was not recruited at any other I-AA schools and Santos went to UNH becuase they were the only ones smart enough to offer him a scholarship.

Coach Mac won the Eddie Robinson coach of the year award for a reason.

lucchesicourt
June 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
A coach does not always move up. Sometimes a coach is happy with where they are. A perfect example is UCD coach Jim Sochor who was approached by Walsh and the 49ers to become their QB coach. Jim Sochor's reply was something like" You don't seem to understand, I am a head coach". And that was the end to that discussion.
If Ellerson is content with where he is, I bet he stays. It is always nice to be appreciated, and when you move on there is no guarantee the new team will appreciate you until you prove yourself AGAIN.

Ronbo
June 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM
We've thought that too in the past. But the 3/4 million contract offers come in and it's goodbye Montana. Money talks and BS walks. Glenn was building a new mansion and driving a Hummer before the seat in his office at Montana was even cold.:eyebrow:

slostang
June 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM
As far as Ellerson wanting to help his son get through school let's see:

A MWC school comes calling for $750,000 a year plus incentives. He's making what $150,000 now, or is it less or more?

Hmmm.... I think $750,000 a year would help get several kids through school.:smiley_wi
His son is not in high school yet. It is more about not uprooting his family. Plus his wife is a Doctor with a great practice and a beautiful home in Avilla Beach that they do not want to leave. From what I hear, money is not an issue, but quality of life is.

One reason that coaches may leave Montana is that they do not have the security that other coaches who can signed multi year contract do. I am not 100% sure that Ellerson will stay for the life of the contract, but if I were to bet, it would be that he will.

paytonlives
June 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I'd give Bobby Hauck a B

He was a C after his first year, but I think is learning how to be a coach. He used to talk first and think later, just ask a kat fan about the term "State". But I believe he is on his way to being a A coach.

The offensive coordinator at UM I don't know how to grade. My first inclination is a D because the Griz O was so predictable last year. However, I give him a little slack in that the O had a Frosh QB and very inexperienced WR's. His grade will be evident by game 4 this year.

The D coordinator I would give an A. He has the guys flying all over the field and the Griz have the best D they have had, may be ever. Giving up ONLY 16 points per game in the BSC is hard to beat.

Bobby Hauck coaches the special teams and for that he gets a A+. This is the best part of the Griz team.

slostang
June 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Bobby Hauck coaches the special teams and for that he gets a A+. This is the best part of the Griz team.
Just ask Cal Poly what they think of Hauck as a special team coach. I can still picture your place kicker running untouched into the endzone for a TD on a fake FG attempt. I think most Griz fans do not realize just how good of a coach they have.

lucchesicourt
June 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Well, for Jim Sochor, I am sure the 49er offer was far more than what he received at D2 non-schollie UCD. But, he chose to stay. Thus, it more or less depends on the satisfaction of the coach at where he is in life. Sure, for most it is all about the money. But for some, it is more about being content. There's lots of people with money who are unsatisfied. Money cannot always make you happier. Some know this, and others do not. The students who attended UCD when Jim Sochor was there, know what a quality man and coach he is.

OL FU
June 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Lamb

Four years as head coach.
34-16
2002 First round
2004 Qtr Finalist
2005 Semi Finalist

Only one more round to go:nod: :D

Lamb has maintained the Furman strategy that has been in place since the early 70's when Art Baker started bringing Furman football back. Offensively it is run first, and pass when no one is expecting. That changed ever so slightly with Martin the last two years but not as much as some suspect. Defense, bend don't break ( last year was a good example of bending and breaking). The more experience he gets the more he matures and the better he coaches the games.

So far recruiting has been great.
Defensively we hit a bump last year but early graduations hurt. Lamb was not afraid to let a very popular Furman alum and defensive coach go during the off season.

Offensively, (in my opinion may still pull out the razzle dazzle at the wrong time, but what do I know). we will put up a lot of points with or without Martin.

As long as Lamb is coaching, Furman will be contending for the SoCon and the NC most years.

Saint3333
June 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
As long as Lamb is coaching, Furman will be contending for the SoCon and the NC most years.

So will ASU, sorry FU couldn't resist:smiley_wi .

SoCon48
June 4th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Good post, Saint. Why not go for two (posts). :smiley_wi

GOKATS
June 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Mike Kramer is great! He's not only a great coach, but a great motivator for not only the players and his assistants, but the entire athletic program and Bobcat fan base. If you're listening to Coach Kramer, you can't help but get excited about 'Cat football.

65 Pard
June 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM
You have to be a very good coach to succeed at LC....Male Student body only numbers about 1300, ....fairly high academic standards... and you have to recruit against the Ivies and such....A real challenge before you even get to XXX's and OOOs.

Aggie71
June 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Sochor's followers, Foster and Biggs, are in the same mold. I think Coach Biggs has had big - time feelers also, but then he looked around at the City and University felt it was not yet time.

Besides, who would want to leave Davis? (Except for snoring, smoking Republican engineers - who would that be?)

SLO is similar. Heaven on the coast with a great school and vicinity...

peace,

'71

Aggie71
June 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah,

4th and 3.

Who knows?

If you're NDSU against UCD, you pass (of course it would be 4th and 23) and you make a first down.

If you're UC Davis and you're a fan, you turn around and close your eyes and try not to see which variable is in play.

Biggs seems to know, though...

Fred Arp may not be the power behind the throne, but our D has flourished underneath his coaching for about 30 odd years.

Go Club Fred

'71

Go...gate
June 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Dick Biddle must rate an A. In 1996, he assumed the reins of an essentially moribund program which had just gone 0-11 with talk of dropping the program to Division III. He has won 70% of his games since against good competition. He is a quiet, intense man who lets the play of his teams do the talking. He is, arguably, the finest coach in Colgate history, all things considered, and is certainly in the top four (with Andy Kerr, Hal Lahar, and Fred Dunlap).

rokamortis
June 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM

:(

Franks Tanks
June 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Dick Biddle must rate an A. In 1996, he assumed the reins of an essentially moribund program which had just gone 0-11 with talk of dropping the program to Division III. He has won 70% of his games since against good competition. He is a quiet, intense man who lets the play of his teams do the talking. He is, arguably, the finest coach in Colgate history, all things considered, and is certainly in the top four (with Andy Kerr, Hal Lahar, and Fred Dunlap).

I think Biddle is by far the best coach in the Patriot League, his teams are always tough, desciplined and well prepared. I have nothing but respect for the man

blur2005
June 5th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I give Mickey Matthews a C+/B-. He's won a national championship, but outside of that year the team hasn't really performed very well, regularly underachieving (see: last season). His style of play is too conservative (though, granted, it was a major reason JMU won the national championship), and he hasn't really incorporated new aspects into the offense that have been developed around football over the last decade or so, obviously because of the greater emphasis on passing, something he doesn't care that much for. I will admit he has done a little to use Rascati more, spreading it four-wide some, but I think it's too easy for opposing defenses to read JMU's offense. If it's in the I-Form, there will be a run.

OL FU
June 5th, 2006, 06:33 AM

No you guys are headed to the toilet bowl:smiley_wi :D in a few years

blackfordpu
June 5th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Did we have to start this conversation?

I wasn't too impressed with our first year coach Todd Whitten last year. Poor decsion making, non-motivational of players and seemed very confused during his first season. He better pick it up this season or he could be shown the door just after 2 seasons.

89, do you have some kind of inside info about TW? The track record of SHSU coaches would not suggest that he would be let go after two years.

kats89
June 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM
89, do you have some kind of inside info about TW? The track record of SHSU coaches would not suggest that he would be let go after two years.

No inside info, but I do know for a fact the BW was none to happy about the way the team performed and the coaches performed. Apparently towards the end of the season BW was sitting in coaches meetings.

He may not get let go after two seasons, BUT given the way the baseball coach was asked to resign after 4 years, I think it is safe to say TW is on a short leash. He had 14 of 22 starters return in 2005 and we had only lost 12 seniors off of a 2004 semi-finalist.

His grade last year D-. Only thing that kept him from getting an F in my book was the fact he was able to rally his team to beat SFA again. This year will be a pivotal year for him and his staff.

colgate13
June 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Dick Biddle not only gets an A+ - he's valedictorian of the Patriot League!

Biddle's resume:

PL Champs 97, 99, 02, 03, 05
NC runners 2003
Winning percentage: .706
10 straight winning seasons
51-11 vs. Patriot League (never lost to Lafayette, Towson or Georgetown, one loss to Fordham, two losses to Holy Cross, three to Bucknell and 5 to Lehigh for a .500 record against them - until a win this fall!)
26-5 vs. Ivy League
PL COY 96,03,05
AFCA COY 03 (Eddie Robinson finalist)

Now, the questions:

Strengths?

He's a strategic genius that motivates players to the point they will go through a wall for him. He knows how to win games.

Weaknesses?

Opening games. I think he's only won 2 in 10 years.

Goes to the bread and butter player. He likes to stick with the guys that got him there. Good thing for Colgate is we've had some great 'go-to' guys: Vena, Branch, Graham, Brown, Scott, Randall Joseph, etc...

He's not too predictable actually.

I'd say about 50% of the time he's leaving that decision up to the QB in some sort of roll out. We've had mobile QBs (Vena, Brown, Saraceno) with some wheels so a high percentage pass will be an option or just going for it.

The other 50% of the time, he's going to the tailback behind the best blocker.

AUCATAMOUNT
June 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Western Carolina: Kent Briggs 11th coach, 1979 graduate
2002 5-6
2003 5-7
2004 4-7
2005 5-4

Grade: B--
Briggs' Battling cancer was a rally point for the 2005 Cats, and now thankfully he can return to work with a clear bill of health for the upcoming campaign. It is time to belly up or find a real estate agent for Briggs, he has yet to win 6 games in a season, but Katrina and a schedule problem gave him a winning season in 05.

Offense: started flashy (ran Emory and Henry formations against Auburn a few years back) and then devloped into a more balanced attack.

Defense: started coming into its own in 03, became a force (except in Statesboro and Boone) in 04 and 05.

Strengths: Defense, leadership, recruiting, Offensive ingenuity, desire to make his school a winner in the SoCon.

Weaknesses: Quarterback recruiting, offensive stability, clock management (may not be his fault), Often seems to be playing not to lose.

When in trouble: Lean on the defense and then use something different out of the offensive bag, maybe not a trick play, but the long ball when we have been dinking an dunking.

4th and 3: usually punt an let the defense TCB, but ocasionally will try to draw offside and squander timeouts.

Defense will be even better this year and offense depends on integrity of line and intelligent play from QBs.

Pards Rule
June 5th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Biddle definitely has got it going! Frankly (pun intended), I have always been a Tavani fan..I like the fact that he has been with the program since late 80s and had to bring it back from the dead when the admin had a very public and ill-timed (midst of recruiting season) examination of whether LC should dump football, drop to Div3 or keep it I-AA. Hell, it even made front page in the Philly Inquirer! It really zulued the program for a good three years as recruits were extremely wary of LC but he forged a win over LU in 2002, a mere three years after the P.R. disaster. Hell, he has won 3 out of last four. Frank you get an "A"....Bill Russo was coaching at Wyoming Seminary, but I understand he left there?? He essentially resigned because of the way that whole "program examination" was handled.

Andy
June 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Tavani has done a fantastic job, particularly in raising the talent level. Let's not forget that, while Biddle is undoubtedly a fine coach, he has the highest football budget in the league. During Frank's time as head coach Lafayette has averaged close to a million dollars less in football expenses, and you know that difference lies in "athleticallly related student aid."

Franks Tanks
June 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Tavani has done a fantastic job, particularly in raising the talent level. Let's not forget that, while Biddle is undoubtedly a fine coach, he has the highest football budget in the league. During Frank's time as head coach Lafayette has averaged close to a million dollars less in football expenses, and you know that difference lies in "athleticallly related student aid."

Frank has done an outstanding job please I am not trying to take anything away from him, but Biddle is in a different league, its really not even a fair comaprison

PantherRob82
June 5th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I'm very happy with Coach Farely. Our AD has done a good job of bringing in coaches who are former players. Bringing Farley back has brought fans back, and more importantly a winning tradition.

He seems to have a good balance in offensive playcalling and adjusts his schemes to the personel that we have.

We also have one of the best QB coaches.

Pards Rule
June 5th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Little bit off topic, but I need to ask: did LC lose any OC/DC coaches in offseason?

Killsback
June 5th, 2006, 11:54 AM
What Jerry Kill has done at SIU is nothing short of a miracle. From a team that hardly won any games in the 90's to a team that has won 3 straight Gateway Conference Titles and three straight post season berths is amazing. He is pure class, a great recruiter and a winner. His 5 year roll over contract shows what the administration feels about Kill. I would not trade him for anyone in the country.

carney2
June 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Frank has done an outstanding job please I am not trying to take anything away from him, but Biddle is in a different league, its really not even a fair comaprison

Let's agree here:

Biddle = A+

Tavani = A

Other PL coaches are, at the moment, either unrated (new to the job) or, at best, a B.

If Tavani can begin to beat some Ivies and Colgate, then Biddle has to make room on his pedestal.

carney2
June 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Little bit off topic, but I need to ask: did LC lose any OC/DC coaches in offseason?

No changes in the coordinators. Three coaches left and have been replaced:

John Troxell, Running Backs
Antoine Smith, Defensive Line
Chris Partridge, Defensive Ass't.

colgate13
June 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Let's agree here:

Biddle = A+

Tavani = A

Other PL coaches are, at the moment, either unrated (new to the job) or, at best, a B.

If Tavani can begin to beat some Ivies and Colgate, then Biddle has to make room on his pedestal.

Actually, I'm waiting for Tavani to establish a year in/year out presence more than beat Colgate/Ivies (but that would help). This is a big year for his legacy/stature. He's 'lost' his seniors. Plenty of talent still there, but can he, like Biddle, win seven games or more this year? If so, even with a loss to Colgate, he's about as good as you could ever hope for in this league.

ErkPeterson
June 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Obviously its too early to tell with coach VanGorder we'll see come Sept. He is a big time coach and changing the program drastically. The intensity level he has brought thus far has impressed everyone. He sent shockwaves through the eagle-nation (myself included) scrapping the option. All things must come to an end and our beloved Trip-O is gone.
To say eagle fans are scared is an understatement. His fortay is Defense. Something that has hurt our teams tremendously over the years. Traditionally our Offense has been dominating(so why change it ???). Bottom line is winning. Losing is something we are simply not used to nor will we accept it. The same goes for coach VG. Never before have we gotten so many 1-A transfers. Off the bat he certainly doesn't have the personel he desires. Lots of question marks about this coming season. We'll just have to "wait and see", I do forsee growing pains for our program. Besides changing the Offense I have been extremely impressed with VG. If changing the O is a signal of our eventual jump to 1-A, then so be it.... my 2 cents.

DB_Atlantic10
June 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I give Mickey Matthews a C+/B-. He's won a national championship, but outside of that year the team hasn't really performed very well, regularly underachieving (see: last season). His style of play is too conservative (though, granted, it was a major reason JMU won the national championship), and he hasn't really incorporated new aspects into the offense that have been developed around football over the last decade or so, obviously because of the greater emphasis on passing, something he doesn't care that much for. I will admit he has done a little to use Rascati more, spreading it four-wide some, but I think it's too easy for opposing defenses to read JMU's offense. If it's in the I-Form, there will be a run.

You have to add other aspects to Mickey's coaching also... He basically brought JMU out of the dark ages... Not only did he get a NC in his short tenure, he's gotten new Top of the line Athletic facilities, the Turf is gone..with planned stadium expansions and JMU is beginning to get recruits that they would have never dreamed of in the past.... This program is on the rise...and if a coach is criticized for having a 7-4 season vice another NC, when losing by a total of 16 points all season, then d@mn-it, "MM and JMU" have arrived!!

DB :nod:

Frosty The Snowbuff
June 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Hmmmm....What can I say about good ole Stoker???:read:

Since he's been here (I think he started when I was a freshman).....I've seen him field some of the top Defenses in all of 1-AA. The problem is...The O is too inconsistent for my liking.

Last 4 yrs...I been hearing we'll pass a "tad" more. Don't get me wrong...I love our style of offense...but teams have realized that if U stop us from running...we're most likely gonna lose (The D can only do so much).

So I'd say....

Stoker's Strengths

Defense and Rushing Offense....I would say recruiting but I'd have to give all our coaches credit for that.;)

Stoker's Weaknesses

Make us pass and find out:rolleyes: . Since the 2 QB system of Beach and McGee (who weren't truely that good passing themselves..but more efficient than our recent run of QBs...WHICH IS ALL WE NEED FROM THE PASSING GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE:bang: ) we haven't really had the QB that will strike fear with his arm...(Why U think Montana destroys us everytime we've made the playoffs under Stoker???).

And another thing....WE NEED A KICKER!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen entirely too many missed XPs and Kickoffs going into the stands (as in out of bounds) for me to stomach. That goes for the punter also.

Other than that...he's a good coach...BUT..some Demons (fans...not players) are running out of patience with him (I say give him time...the recruiting classes he's pulling in are great....ranked #4 this yr).

For more on Stoker ask the McNeese fans.....

Grade: B

Ivytalk
June 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Harvard's Tim Murphy rates a solid A-. Since his taking over, the Crimson have been competitive every year and have won three Ivy titles with two undefeated seasons. He's avoided the "peaks and valleys" of the Restic era.

youwouldno
June 5th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Furman's Bobby Lamb is surprisingly controversial, in terms of his coaching abilities. At least that's been my impression, I don't have any data on his approval rating or what have you. He took over after the Paladins appeared in a title game so I guess he didn't get cut much slack as a first-time HC.

At first, I have to admit that I questioned him as well. But I've changed my mind, despite the fact Furman probably should have won it all in '04 and had a chance last year. When a game is decided by one play, where a player slips or fumbles or throws a dumb interception, it doesn't make a lot of sense to blame the coach.

Lamb has impressed me with his recruiting, which is significant because he only took over in 2002, so only now are the Paladins 100% 'his' team. He has increased the level of overall athleticism in the program and he looks to have the QB position particularly well covered.

Overall, I'd rate Lamb a B+ with the potential to improve to A- as he gains experience. What's important to note, though, is that he's in part the product of an overarching philosophy at Furman, which is based on coaching continuity. He's been at Furman since his playing days in the early to mid 80s. When he departs for I-A, his replacement will be hired from among his assistants. Those assistants are not all Furman grads (though many are), but the point is that they know the system, know the people, and can pick up where the previous coach left off.

In general, organizations that have good people and promote from within have the most success. Furman's success as a small private school in the football ranks is, IMO and the opinion of many, because of Furman's institutional approach to coaching.

Brad82
June 5th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Tim Stowers of Rhody has done a lousy job.

PapaBear
June 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Harvard's Tim Murphy rates a solid A-. Since his taking over, the Crimson have been competitive every year and have won three Ivy titles with two undefeated seasons. He's avoided the "peaks and valleys" of the Restic era.

I heard Restic speak at several coaching clinics back in the day. He was an incredibly creative offensive mind. LIGHT YEARS ahead of his time IMO. And a great, dry sense of humor. Definitely worth the price of admission.:nod:

Ivytalk
June 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I heard Restic speak at several coaching clinics back in the day. He was an incredibly creative offensive mind. LIGHT YEARS ahead of his time IMO. And a great, dry sense of humor. Definitely worth the price of admission.:nod:

Restic's innovative "multiflex" offense was so sophisticated that it confused his own players and caused Harvard to lead the league in penalties year after year (or so it seemed). Joe had a winning record overall, but a few 2-8 seasons were in the mix.

Go...gate
June 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
The Multiflex was great - I recall one time when Restic sent the QB in motion against Princeton!

MR. CHICKEN
June 5th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Tim Stowers of Rhody has done a lousy job.

YEAH..BUT HE'S AT RHODEY...........WHAT 'BOUT DUH 8-3....UH FEW YEARS BACK?..........:confused:............AWK!

AH'M GIVIN' HIM UH B-...HE'S UH A+ COACH...AT UH D- INSTITUTION!

TheBisonator
June 5th, 2006, 08:05 PM
What do NDSU fans think of Craig Bohl?? I'm personally very happy having him as coach.

BigDukeDawg
June 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM
You're right..we should just cancel the season cause we don't have a chance this year!:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

ACTUALLY I wasnt saying that we're not gon be good Mo Ron, i was just saying that means another coach other than Mick is gonna have to take over such as Barlow or Durden to make **** work, i thought this thread was about rate your football coach not how ur gon do next year, if u ask any of the players Mick is not a "players coach", and btw Newsome was all about the line em up in the box and push em down the field not just the head guy

Franks Tanks
June 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Let's agree here:

Biddle = A+

Tavani = A

I love what Frank and what he has done for the program he had great vision and tenacity in turning things around. As much as I love Bill Russo we certainly would not be in this position if he was still around. However I cant give him an A due to his astounding lack of game planning and play calling ability, or what I call "real coaching knowledge". Frank is basically a Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden, he recruits, talks to the media, schmoozes the Alum and administration...all of which he does very well. But he has about as much imput on the game plan, design of the offfense, paly calling as superfan. It works for him and again he has done a GREAT job. But the difference is that biddle does all those things that Frank does and he gamplans and has a hand in designing the offense and defense and input on calling plays. Joe PA and Bowden dont do these things cause they are 100 tears old and cant stay up past 8 to watch film anyway, so they get a pass. Frank doesnt do the above mentioned things because he flat out cant do them. But he is smart enough to understand that he cant and allows Heffner, Loose, and Faragalli, do everything. Frank doesnt even know many of the plays, yes I remember telling him what pattren a certain reciever runs on a given play that we have run about a million times that season. In brief I am not trying to attack the man, just stating the facts. I think Frank does a great job, but I felt I just needed to explained why he is not in the same class as Biddle. Pard94 help me out on this one, I have a feeling you may feel similar since you also played for the man

ngineer
June 5th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I love what Frank and what he has done for the program he had great vision and tenacity in turning things around. As much as I love Bill Russo we certainly would not be in this position if he was still around. However I cant give him an A due to his astounding lack of game planning and play calling ability, or what I call "real coaching knowledge". Frank is basically a Joe Paterno or Bobby Bowden, he recruits, talks to the media, schmoozes the Alum and administration...all of which he does very well. But he has about as much imput on the game plan, design of the offfense, paly calling as superfan. It works for him and again he has done a GREAT job. But the difference is that biddle does all those things that Frank does and he gamplans and has a hand in designing the offense and defense and input on calling plays. Joe PA and Bowden dont do these things cause they are 100 tears old and cant stay up past 8 to watch film anyway, so they get a pass. Frank doesnt do the above mentioned things because he flat out cant do them. But he is smart enough to understand that he cant and allows Heffner, Loose, and Faragalli, do everything. Frank doesnt even know many of the plays, yes I remember telling him what pattren a certain reciever runs on a given play that we have run about a million times that season. In brief I am not trying to attack the man, just stating the facts. I think Frank does a great job, but I felt I just needed to explained why he is not in the same class as Biddle. Pard94 help me out on this one, I have a feeling you may feel similar since you also played for the man

Good observation. I know a number of Lafayette alums and they have groused about Tavani as a play caller for years. I fully agree that he excels in the role he commands, and has to be given a ton of credit for resurrecting a program that many were giving up for dead 10 years ago. Biddle certainly appears to be much more 'hands on' than Tavani.

LeopardFan04
June 5th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I would agree with the sentiments about play calling...I think it's been a weak point...of course given the recent success the questioning of the gameplan has declined (as far as I can tell)...and I believe that it has improved along with the team's record...

colgate13
June 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Good observation. I know a number of Lafayette alums and they have groused about Tavani as a play caller for years. I fully agree that he excels in the role he commands, and has to be given a ton of credit for resurrecting a program that many were giving up for dead 10 years ago. Biddle certainly appears to be much more 'hands on' than Tavani.
It's quite amazing too because he doesn't wear a headset. He is constantly analyzing the game and telling the guys on the sidelines to look for this or try this or attack this angle... He doesn't say much and seems gruff to those on the outside, but when it comes down to it the man recruits and lands talented players (with academic and need-based hurdles that we all know of PL friends!) and then motivates them to give their all and then... is an offensive and defensive 'rain man' like genius! :bow:

I know of assistant coaches who have stuck around longer than maybe they would have without him - just so they could learn more under him.

carney2
June 6th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I agree with what you say, but not necessarily with your conclusion. Where is it written that "hands on" is superior? I give you:

Hands on: Neal Putnam (Lafayette's disaster of a coach in the 70s) and Jimmy Carter

Hands off - WAY off: Bobby Bowden (look up figurehead in the dictionary and you will find his picture - and not just since he turned 100) and Ronald Reagan ("while Reagan slept" wasn't without merit)

Which of these two football coaches would you want in charge of your team? Which President (political leanings aside)?

Surround yourself with good people, trust their judgment, and let them do their jobs. Rephrasing: Do what you do best, and let other people do what they do best.

Pard4Life
June 6th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Tavani not hands on? He sure shook up a Murphy brother vs. Columbia. And screams his head off often.

I am surprised you claim he doesn't know the entire playbook. He probably knows how they are all run, just not the names?

And I don't understand why the alumni have beef with Tavani's style. I was a fan from day one. I would say I had some questions in 2003, but everything was hitting the fan that year.

Pard4Life
June 6th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I agree with what you say, but not necessarily with your conclusion. Where is it written that "hands on" is superior? I give you:

Hands on: Neal Putnam (Lafayette's disaster of a coach in the 70s) and Jimmy Carter

Hands off - WAY off: Bobby Bowden (look up figurehead in the dictionary and you will find his picture - and not just since he turned 100) and Ronald Reagan ("while Reagan slept" wasn't without merit)

Which of these two football coaches would you want in charge of your team? Which President (political leanings aside)?

Surround yourself with good people, trust their judgment, and let them do their jobs. Rephrasing: Do what you do best, and let other people do what they do best.

Anybody know about Jock Sutherland or Hook Mylin, our two best coaches ever? I think some research is in order...

Ruler 79
June 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Oh hell, I will play!

I have been resisting because of our "limited scholarship" stigma, but here it goes.

Bob Ford, I give him a A-/B+. Most on the board are not aware of him because UA has been DII and DIII for centuries. Ford won all but 2 of his championships(he won the NEC 2 times since 2000)and had all of his post season appearances while still being II and III.

He gets an A+ for building an "us vs them" atmosphere as well as a very strong family enviornment. He is a world class recruiter and his current and former players are brainwashed into what is known as THE PURPLE KINGDOM where evryone bleeds purple! Players that buy into his system would kill for this guy. He also gets an A+ for winning for a LONG TIME with players of limited ability. I can't tell you how many teams we have played and beaten over the years and ask yourself "how the hell did we beat those guys!" It has been only in the last 12 years has he been getting some race horses.

One of knocks on him is he schedules at times over his head. He does this to get a true read on how good his teams are, and more times then not we all know the painful facts. Once in a while he will shock folks. Does 2005 remind anyone of a suicide schedule?
He is sometimes predictable offensivley and takes gambles that sometimes are not smart. Like faking a punt from his own endzone and scoring a TD.Yeah, you get away with this stuff with limited scholarships. People were in complete shock!

The problem is like his golf buddy JoePa, he is 200 years old. If he were 50 instead of 68 I would not trade him for anyone. The guy knows his X's and O's. Even though he is still sharp and kids respond to him, a younger coach may make more of an impact.

I know he wants to see this program through to full scholarship and this may be unchartered territory to him. I can see 3-5 more years before a hungrier upstart has sights on one of the best FUTURE jobs in full scholarship that WILL BE AVAILABLE!

Pards Rule
June 7th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Neal Putnam?!?! Banish the thought! God, my freshman year was his last. What - no TDs in six games that season and lost to Lehigh, 32-0! But I do remember the D playing decently considering the field position they were given and the 3 and outs engineered by that stellar offense. DC? Joe Sarra, of course! Shirtsleeve Joe (as I called him) went on to become a longtime LB coach at Penn State. Was involved in a bizarre set of prank calls Dan Conner made to him at 2AM on numerous mornings which got him suspended from the team for period (don't recall how long). The next year we had deliverance in the form of Bill Russo, previously of Div. III Wagner College.