PDA

View Full Version : Rank Your Conferences Stadiums

GeauxColonels
June 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Southland Conference:

1] Texas State - San Maracos (field turf)
2] McNeese State (natural field)
3] Northwestern Statae (field turf)
4] Sam Houston State (artificial turf)
5] Nicholls State (natural field - "Bayou Bermuda" according to the NSU Sports Info. Personally, I call it CRAP)
6] Southeastern Louisiana (field turf)
7] Stephen F. Austin (field turf)

I know SHSU is replacing their field, but I'm basing these rankings off of what they were like when I visited them.

By no means do I think any of the stadiums are horrible. And I really think that Southeastern's Stadium is leagues better than SFA's stadium. But, I prefer the other stadium's to Strawberry Stadium. I must say though, SLU is a GREAT place to watch a game. Saw my first one there this past season and hope to see MANY more match-ups like that. I really hope SLU and Nicholls can get a good rivalry going given their proximity to each other.

GaSouthern
June 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
1 Georgia Southern (i'm a homer again)
2 UT-Chattanooga (if its good for the big game its good for second)
3 Furman (Great surrounding area)
4 Citadel (when its complete)
5 WCU (beautiful in pictures)
6 Wofford (Pretty Small)
7 Elon (Smaller)
8 Appy (Consessions or Bathrooms anyone?)

I've only been to about three of these so alot of my knowledge is based on pictures and hearsay.

EKU05
June 3rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
I've only been to 4/9 OVC stadiums....but of those 4...

1. TSU-It's an NFL stadium...does that really count?
2. EKU-A little lopsided, but it can hold 25,000+ without much of a problem. Also a jumbotron and a picture perfect natural grass field.
3. Tennessee Tech-Nice Stadium...Astroturf the last time I was there. Nothing wrong and nothing spectacular either.
4. Murray State-One sided. Has very old Astroturf that is, to be totally honest, becoming warped and dangerous to anyone who plays on it. The conference really should pressure them into replacing it. Except for the one-sidedness it's not a terrible facility otherwise.

Out of the other 5...clearly UTM is a little meager, SEMO looks nice but small (high on my list of places to visit), EIU looks unimpressive, JSU looks like a very intense place, and Samford looks gorgeous as well.

Also, we have Austin Peay coming back to the league, but I haven't heard to many good things about their stadium even though it looks decent in pictures.

89Hen
June 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Not sure what goes into ranking, but IMHO...

1. Delaware
2. JMU
3. Towson
4. UMass
5. W&M
6. Hofstra
7. Maine
8. Richmond
9. UNH
10. Villanova
11. Northeastern
12. URI

Funny that I rank UD #1 but I want a new stadium. :p

AppGuy04
June 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
are we talking facilities only, or are we talking atmosphere/home field advantage?

slostang
June 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Last season:

NDSU
SDSU
SUU
Cal Poly
UC Davis

This season:

NDSU
Cal Poly (renovated)
SDSU
SUU
UC Davis

2007 season:
NDSU
Cal Poly
UC Davis (new stadium)
SDSU
SUU

Saint3333
June 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
are we talking facilities only, or are we talking atmosphere/home field advantage?

I've been to all current SoCon sites

If it's facilities only:

1. UTC
2. Citadel (after renovations)
3. GSU
4. Furman
5. WCU
6. Wofford
7. Elon
8. ASU

Numbers 5-7 are interchangable, I give the edge to WCU because of their stadium size.

If it's atmosphere:

1. ASU (homer pick, with the improved tailgating zones and attendance numbers it's hard to beat a Black Saturday)
1a. GSU
3. WCU
4. Furman
5. Citadel
6. UTC (someone actually asked us if we were there for the game is the parking lot 3 blocks away from the stadiumxlolx )
7. Elon
8. Wofford (doesn't even have a band and we outnumbered their fans)

Tealblood
June 3rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
1. CCU its new on campus parking is great-tailgating right outside the stadium and spreading onto and into the campus
2. VMI- atmosphere & thats it decent nearby tailgating
3. Liberty- Nice size but mostly empty--some type of astro turf(ugh)
4. G-webb -whatever
5. chas south- don't bother everything is bad and be careful if you would like a cocktail while tailgating

Stang Fever
June 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Last season:

NDSU
SDSU
SUU
Cal Poly
UC Davis

This season:

NDSU
Cal Poly (renovated)
SDSU
SUU
UC Davis

2007 season:
NDSU
Cal Poly
UC Davis (new stadium)
SDSU
SUU

I believe that is far......in 2007 Davis just might jump Poly, we would have to kepe upgrading to stay second

kats89
June 3rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
Southland Conference:

5] Nicholls State (natural field - "Bayou Bermuda" according to the NSU Sports Info. Personally, I call it CRAP)

I know SHSU is replacing their field, but I'm basing these rankings off of what they were like when I visited them.

By no means do I think any of the stadiums are horrible. And I really think that Southeastern's Stadium is leagues better than SFA's stadium. But, I prefer the other stadium's to Strawberry Stadium. I must say though, SLU is a GREAT place to watch a game. Saw my first one there this past season and hope to see MANY more match-ups like that. I really hope SLU and Nicholls can get a good rivalry going given their proximity to each other.

Sam Houston will not be putting new playing surface until 2007 now. The University continues to get upgrades and has for the last couple of years.

2004.. new suites, new track(?), goal posts
2005.. new baseball/softball complex
2006.. new scoreboard w/video board, new weight facility, Locker rooms being renovated at Bowers Stadium, new scoreboards at Johnson Colesium.
2007.. New playing surface at Bowers (Spinturf)

With all this being done, we will have some of the top notch facilites in the Southland.

slostang
June 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
I believe that is far......in 2007 Davis just might jump Poly, we would have to kepe upgrading to stay second
You are probably right. I may have a little bias when it comes to Davis. :smiley_wi

eagle1
June 3rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
1. Montana (23,000avg and loud hostile environment)
2. Montana State (13,000avg and loud obnoxious fans)
3. Weber State (best press box and awesome location)
4. Northern Arizona (best of the domes and it can get loud at times)
5. Portland State (nice looking baseball stadium and great views of city)
6. Eastern Washington (new press box and north endzone seating)
7. Northern Colorado ?? (not sure but I will see it first hand in October)
8. Idaho State (worst dome and the turf is bad)
9. Sacramento State (everything is temporary but they have a nice track)

CatFan22
June 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
1. Montana
2. Montana State
3. Weber St.
4. Northern Arizona
5. Portland St.
6. Northern Colorado
7. Sacramento St.
8. Eastern Washington
9. Idaho St.

Go Poly
June 3rd, 2006, 01:37 PM
I agree that UC Davis looks like they may end up with in the top two in stadiums when they finish. They may end up recruiting higher as a result! :(

Go Poly! Beat UC Davis!

vmisport
June 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
1. CCU its new on campus parking is great-tailgating right outside the stadium and spreading onto and into the campus
4. G-webb -whatever
5. chas south- don't bother everything is bad and be careful if you would like a cocktail while tailgating

CCU does have a very nice stadium and is a great atmosphere. BTW, VMI is spending 14Mill on its stadium to be completed this summer on expanded facilities, new face lift, new turf practice field, and new state of art scoreboard. So, it will be beautiful and impressive come the first game this Fall.

slostang
June 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
I agree that UC Davis looks like they may end up with in the top two in stadiums when they finish. They may end up recruiting higher as a result! :(

Go Poly! Beat UC Davis!
UC Davis offers a top notch education, has a great football program and it looks like they will have a great stadium when it is ready. Cal Poly also offers a top notch education, has a great football program and we will have a great stadium when it is ready. You can argue which offers a better education, has a better football program and which stadium will be better, but you can not argue which school is located in a beautiful part of the state and which is not. The Central Coast and San Luis Obispo will always beat Davis and the San Joaquin Valley. Where would you rather live for four or five years? I think we will continue to do well in recruiting as long as Ellerson stays at Cal Poly.

CoastalFan2005
June 3rd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Big South Stadiums, IMHO...

1. Coastal Carolina University - it is a homer pick, but from what I've seen of the others, we take the cake.

2. Gardner-Webb University - Great stadium, a little bigger than ours, but nice facilities.

T3. VMI - Never been there, but watched the TV game. Good looking stadium.

T3. Liberty University - I think something should be done about the turf, other than that, good stadium.

5. Charleston Southern University - Hands down the worst stadium in the conference, and probably one of the worst in I-AA. Needs major renovations to almost every aspect of it, ESPECIALLY the away side stands. I've seen pee-wee football stands that are better that CSU's away stands. : smh :

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
This topic comes up every year or so in PL circles and it really hasn't changed much over the years. Lafayette's upgrade will bump it up, but the toip and bottom tier are still fairly consistent.

1. Lehigh (Murray Goodman): A showplace.
2. Holy Cross (Fitton Field): A reminder of better days, but still a fine facility.
3. Colgate (Andy Kerr Stadium): Loses points for the bitter cold.
4. Bucknell (C. Mathewson Memorial Stadium): Kept up well despite its age.
5. Lafayette (Fisher Field): All signs look promising for the upgrade.
6. Fordham (Jack Coffey Field): Still needs stands across the field.
7. Georgetown (Field Name TBD): No comment.

Jag4Life
June 3rd, 2006, 02:50 PM
SWAC - since I'm the only SWAC fan alive right now! :nod: :nod:

1)Alabama A&M
2)Southern U
3)Alabama State
4)Alcorn State
5)Jackson State
6)Grambling State
7)Ark Pine Bluff
8)Miss Valley
9)Prairie View
10)Texas Southern

ButlerGSU
June 3rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
Facilities:

1. UTC (even though the stadium does not belong to the school)
2. GSU's Paulson Stadium
3. Citadel
4. Furman
5. WCU
6. Elon
7. Wofford
8. ASU

Atmosphere:

1. GSU and ASU
3. Furman
4. WCU
5. Wofford
6. UTC
7. Elon
8. Citadel

ngineer
June 3rd, 2006, 02:55 PM

1. Delaware
2. JMU
3. Towson
4. UMass
5. W&M
6. Hofstra
7. Maine
8. Richmond
9. UNH
10. Villanova
11. Northeastern
12. URI

Funny that I rank UD #1 but I want a new stadium. :p

Have never been to 'nova's stadium. We're going there on September 9. Just how bad is it in terms of 'being prepared."??:eek:

ngineer
June 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
This topic comes up every year or so in PL circles and it really hasn't changed much over the years. Lafayette's upgrade will bump it up, but the toip and bottom tier are still fairly consistent.

1. Lehigh (Murray Goodman): A showplace.
2. Holy Cross (Fitton Field): A reminder of better days, but still a fine facility.
3. Colgate (Andy Kerr Stadium): Loses points for the bitter cold.
4. Bucknell (C. Mathewson Memorial Stadium): Kept up well despite its age.
5. Lafayette (Fisher Field): All signs look promising for the upgrade.
6. Fordham (Jack Coffey Field): Still needs stands across the field.
7. Georgetown (Field Name TBD): No comment.

I generally agree with your order, although from a visitor's viewpoint the seats at Christy Matthewson are better than at Colgate. Currently, despite the 'onsided' affair in the Bronx, I would rank Fordham's above Lafayette. Decent bathrooms and concession facilities and good view of the field. With LC's improvements that should change.

Go...gate
June 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Patriot:

1. Lehigh

2. Lafayette (based upon renovation plans)

3. Bucknell

4T. Holy Cross (slipping badly in recent years

4T. Colgate

5. Georgetown (will move up when construction fully complete)

6. Fordham

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM

1. Delaware
2. JMU
3. Towson
4. UMass
5. W&M
6. Hofstra
7. Maine
8. Richmond
9. UNH
10. Villanova
11. Northeastern
12. URI

I've been to 11 of the 12, excepting Maine. My ranking would be pretty close, except that UNH is a step down and Northeastern is way down the list--outside of Georgetown and Duquesne, it's as limited as they come.

The top four:
1. Delaware
2. JMU
3. Towson
4. UMass

Next tier:
5. Hofstra
6. Maine (the photos, anyway)
7. W&M
8. Richmond

Third tier:
9. Villanova
10. UNH
11. URI
12. Northeastern

Go...gate
June 3rd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Because I have been to all their stadia in the past 5 years, I'd also like to take a shot at the Ivy:

1. Princeton

2. Yale (based upon planned renovations)

3. Harvard

4. Cornell

5. Dartmouth (based upon planned renovations)

6. Pennsylvania

7. Columbia

8. Brown

89Hen
June 3rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Have never been to 'nova's stadium. We're going there on September 9. Just how bad is it in terms of 'being prepared."??:eek:
No consessions, astroturf, track around the field, low stands.... it's just weak all around IMO. The only saving grace of Villanova Stadium is that it's packed with Blue Hen fans when UD plays there. :p

blackfordpu
June 3rd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Southland Conference:

Thats a fair ranking although I would rank McNeese St. #1 and Tx St #2. I agree SHSU's stadium is in the middle of the pack now but after all of the renovations I believe we will be fighting for a top spot in this category. :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Currently
1.Lehigh
2.Bucknell- really nice place to watch a game, ammenities could use some updating.
3. Holy Cross- could use a facelift
4. Colgate- would be higher if the homeside had something other then temporary bleacher seats.
5. Fordham- not as bad as some make it out to be. The one main grandstand is actually very nice. If the built an away side like the homeside but half as big it would be a really nice stadium especially considering where it's at.
6. Lafayette- it was crumbling to the ground but the renovations should bring into the top 3.
7. Georgetown- it's kind of hard to consider it a stadium. it's more like a field with bleachers on either side.

Get Ready
June 3rd, 2006, 08:14 PM
Best SWAC stadiums

Jackson State
Pine Bluff
Alcorn
A&M
Southern
Grambling
Valley
Prairie View

Others not significant

bulldog10jw
June 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Because I have been to all their stadia in the past 5 years, I'd also like to take a shot at the Ivy:

1. Princeton

3. Harvard

4. Cornell

6. Pennsylvania

7. Columbia

8. Brown

Since I have not been to Princeton since the new stadium, I will defer to you on that. Harvard has great sightlines, but you are sitting on concrete in many places (unless they have made changes I don't know about). In Nov you can freeze your butt off. The old Palmer Stadium was the same way. I remember having water running down my back when Yale played Princeton in the rain. Other than that I would move Dartmouth to 7th and Penn and Columbia up. Based on the last time I was at Dartmouth a couple or 3 (maybe 4)years ago.

catamount man
June 3rd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Facilities:
1-UTC
2-WCU
3-Furman
4-Ga.Southern
5-App.State
6-Wofford
7-Elon
8-Citadel (until I see the improvements)

Game day atmosphere
1-WCU
2-ASU
3-GSU
4-Furman
5-Citadel
6-Elon
7-Wofford
8-UTC

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

DFW HOYA
June 3rd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Interesting ranking of the Ivy stadia.

After years, no make that decades without Ivy opponents, Georgetown will have four Ivy road games in the next two years: Brown and Columbia in '06, Penn and Yale in '07. How would you rank those four?

ngineer
June 3rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
No consessions, astroturf, track around the field, low stands.... it's just weak all around IMO. The only saving grace of Villanova Stadium is that it's packed with Blue Hen fans when UD plays there. :p

From what I'm hearing, we may have as many Engineer/Mountain Hawk fans as Wildcats. When you say no concessions--you mean lousy quality, or lousy quantity, or none to speak of---in other words, sounds like I should pack a lunch!:D

ngineer
June 3rd, 2006, 08:41 PM

1. Princeton

3. Harvard

4. Cornell

6. Pennsylvania

7. Columbia

8. Brown

Have only been to Harvard, Princeton and Penn; though I've seen Columbia's on tv and will visit Yale this year. As 'bad' as Franklin Field is in terms of being old, it is one of those classics, like Wrigley Field, that despite the aesthetics, it's still a great place to watch a game.

bulldog10jw
June 3rd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Interesting ranking of the Ivy stadia.

After years, no make that decades without Ivy opponents, Georgetown will have four Ivy road games in the next two years: Brown and Columbia in '06, Penn and Yale in '07. How would you rank those four?

I wonder why Yale's website still shows Sept 15, 2007 as an open date if they are scheduled to play GT.

Sept. 15 Open

22 CORNELL

29 at Holy Cross

Oct. 6 DARTMOUTH

13 LEHIGH

20 at Penn

27 at Columbia

Nov. 3 BROWN

10 at Princeton

17 HARVARD

rokamortis
June 3rd, 2006, 09:09 PM
4. G-webb -whatever

I haven't been to VMI or Liberty - but Gardner-Webb's wasn't too bad IMHO. It has been recently renovated and it remonded me a lot of Brooks from outside appearances. I don't know how the press box or locker rooms were like though.

Baldy
June 3rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
Game day atmosphere
1-WCU

:eek: :eyebrow:

xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
June 3rd, 2006, 10:02 PM
TENNESEE-CHATTANOOGA.....FINLEY.........."EVERAH WONDER WHY....WE PLAY FO' DUH "BLING".....IN DIS SETTIN'?.........'CAUSE IT'S PRIMO...KNUCKLE-DRAGGERS...PRIMO!......:hyped:......AWK!

PEEIN' IS EASIER..WHIFF DERE BED-PAN SINKS.......BETTERAH DAN DUH...PEEIN' WALL......AT NEWARK..........xlolx........BRAWK!

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
I wonder why Yale's website still shows Sept 15, 2007 as an open date if they are scheduled to play GT.

Sept. 15 Open

22 CORNELL

29 at Holy Cross

Oct. 6 DARTMOUTH

13 LEHIGH

20 at Penn

27 at Columbia

Nov. 3 BROWN

10 at Princeton

17 HARVARD

Um, at Georgia Tech? :eyebrow:

Pard4Life
June 3rd, 2006, 11:31 PM
1. Lafayette - our stadium will be the best in the PL by far
2. Lehigh - spacious, modern, but Fisher is modern
3. Fordham - bleachers are ok, and sightlines are good
4. Bucknell - great bleachers, features, but the stadium underbelly is a disgrace and the press box is a toolshed!
5. Colgate - Average stadium, sounds like it upgraded though with press box and scoreboard
6. Holy Cross - old, nothing really outstanding
7. Georgetown - um.. yeah.. they barely have a field

catamount man
June 4th, 2006, 07:09 AM

xlolx

I'm a homer, just calling it as I see it. (through my purple and gold glasses)

No offense, but until your student section quits openly cussing visitors in the stands, your atmosphere will get NO love from this Catamount. Sorry.

UNH SUPERFAN
June 4th, 2006, 07:20 AM
ATLANTIC 10 STADIUM RANKINGS:

1. DELAWARE
2. JMU
3. TOWSON
4. HOFSTRA
5. WILLIAM AND MARY
6. VILLANOVA
7. RICHMOND
8. UMASS
9. MAINE
10. UNH
11. NORTHEASTERN
12. URI

OrneryAggie
June 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM
UC Davis....Cal Poly..... but you can not argue which school is located in a beautiful part of the state and which is not. The Central Coast and San Luis Obispo will always beat Davis and the San Joaquin Valley. Where would you rather live for four or five years? I think we will continue to do well in recruiting as long as Ellerson stays at Cal Poly.

Very true, but having a campus on the ocean couldn't save UCSB football. Thankfully Cal Poly's administration didn't give up during the lean years.

PantherMan
June 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM
ATLANTIC 10 STADIUM RANKINGS:

1. DELAWARE
2. JMU
3. TOWSON
4. HOFSTRA
5. WILLIAM AND MARY
6. VILLANOVA
7. RICHMOND
8. UMASS
9. MAINE
10. UNH
11. NORTHEASTERN
12. URI

Wait a minute, so you are telling me there are worse fields in the A-10 than New Hampshire??:eek:

aust42
June 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Good thread and great descriptions on the atmosphere and stadiums across the 1-AA land.

Delaware has a great game atmosphere. 23k each week. Not the loudest crowd in the world but very faithful and great traveling fans. Excellent tailgating atmosphere as well with grills cooking and beer flowing. Delaware has the best stadium in the A-10 and is probably in the top 5 in the country. The only downfall is the high school press boxes in dire need of an upgrade. One of my odd favorite's about the stadium is the marble urinal walls. Huge bathroom under the stadium with a marble wall that wraps around 3/4's of the bathroom ensures 50 or so beer drinking tailgaters can pee at the same time and get in and out of the bathroom in less than 3 minutes. lol

I've always wanted to check out Montana. From what I've read in the past those folks are rabid and the stadium pics speak for itself.

nmatsen
June 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Gateway

1. Youngstown-Great Gameday environment
2. UNI-High attendance for conference games and becoming very hostile.
3. Western Kentucky- Great 1/2 a stadium
4. Mizzou State - Put this 1/2 stadium w/ WKU 1/2 stadium and it would rock.
5. Western Illinois-Nice field, good fans, glorified High School Stadium
6. Illinois State-Has a lot of potential but needs work, poor locker room.
7. Southern Illinois-High School field, fans are miles from field.
8. Indiana State- I won't waste my energy, Terrible!

SoCon48
June 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM
No offense, but until your student section quits openly cussing visitors in the stands, your atmosphere will get NO love from this Catamount. Sorry.

Good post, there, C Man. An App and a Cat can agree on something, it looks like.xlolx

Baldy
June 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
And I have felt nothing but love walking through WCU's parking lot. :rolleyes:

SoCon48
June 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
ASU's Kid Brewer Stadium may not be the best, and may have a lot of porta-johns, and make-shift concessions (on the visitor's side), but it was good enough that 25,584 showed up in a 16,650 seat facility to watch them play our buddies from Western Carolina University last Fall.
It's not the age, size, or engineering artistry that matters, it's the product on the field that really counts in the final analysis.
As to make shift concessions, I don't care if Woodland's Bar-B-Que sells out of a 1945 mickey mouse camper, I'll stack it up vs any concessions inside any I-AA stadium anywhere in the country.xcoffeex

walliver
June 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Gardner-Webb's wasn't too bad IMHO. It has been recently renovated and it remonded me a lot of Brooks from outside appearances. I don't know how the press box or locker rooms were like though.

This must not be the Gardner-Webb stadium I went to 6 months ago in Boiling Springs, NC. When I was there in November, the visiting team spent halftime outside because the visitors field house isn't big enough to comfortably hold an entire team, the visitors stands were of small-high-school quality, there were annoying loudspeakers placed in front of the visitors stands, the visitors restroom were too small to fit average-sized adults, and the concession stand didn't even have coke or pepsi products. (Their tickets are cheap however, and there is free parking near the stadium). It may be better than it was, but still has a way to go.

On the other hand, it is nicer than Charleston Southern's stadium with a four-story pressbox overlooking a couple of dozen rows of bleachers.

ngineer
June 4th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Sept. 15 Open

22 CORNELL

29 at Holy Cross

Oct. 6 DARTMOUTH

13 LEHIGH
20 at Penn

27 at Columbia

Nov. 3 BROWN

10 at Princeton

17 HARVARD

TWO trips to New Haven back to back?! Hopefully the new 'bowl' is upgraded so we won't mind...;)

HiHiYikas
June 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
ASU's Kid Brewer Stadium may not be the best, and may have a lot of porta-johns, and make-shift concessions (on the visitor's side), but it was good enough that 25,584 showed up in a 16,650 seat facility to watch them play our buddies from Western Carolina University last Fall.
It's not the age, size, or engineering artistry that matters, it's the product on the field that really counts in the final analysis.
As to make shift concessions, I don't care if Woodland's Bar-B-Que sells out of a 1945 mickey mouse camper, I'll stack it up vs any concessions inside any I-AA stadium anywhere in the country.xcoffeex
This reasoning makes sense to me. Reminds me a little of saying Fenway Park is the worst stadium in MLB. Sure there are some people who say it, and there are good reasons to think so.

Old and inadequate is charming and nostalgic if the on-field product is good and the fans make gameday a good experience. You'll hear fans of other teams criticize, of course. It's completely predictable.

JoshUCA
June 5th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Can't wait for all you SLC Fans to come up to Conway and visit Estes Stadium...

More Pics can be found at: http://www.ucafans.com/facilities/estes.php

DTSpider
June 5th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Delaware has the best stadium in the A-10 and is probably in the top 5 in the country. The only downfall is the high school press boxes in dire need of an upgrade.

I'm pretty sure the field needed an upgrade as well. It's pretty bad when you can't play all you home games at home. Otherwise a great venue.

Fortunately in the A10 this offseason has been great for stadiums. UD got a new grass field. JMU got rid of the 6 foot crown and old rug for field turf. UMass & W&M also got field turf. Richmond has formally announced their plans to move on-campus to a new facility. Once Towson replaces the old-style astro-turf it'll be great.

Just need UNH, Northeastern, Nova & URI to step it up.

slostang
June 5th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Josh, beautiful stadium. How many does it seat?

Ivytalk
June 5th, 2006, 08:28 AM

1. Princeton

3. Harvard

4. Cornell

6. Pennsylvania

7. Columbia

8. Brown

I would switch Penn and Cornell, but otherwise this seems about right. If Franklin Field had grass, it might be #2.

JoshUCA
June 5th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Josh, beautiful stadium. How many does it seat?
It is has seats for about 8,500, but there is room in the endozones for a couple thousand more because a couple years back we had a game with our biggest rival and we had 10,000+.

kats89
June 5th, 2006, 08:48 AM

WOW!! Can't wait.xcoffeex

89Hen
June 5th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Found an article from the Providence Journal last year in which the writer basically ranks the A10 stadiums. He is writing about URI's facilities (Meade) and the upgrades there....

"Meade Stadium ranks near the bottom of football facilities in the Atlantic 10 Conference with Cowell Stadium at the University of New Hampshire and Parsons Field at Northeastern. Delaware probably has the best football stadium in the conference, followed by those at Richmond, James Madison, William & Mary, UMass and Maine. Villanova Stadium is also better than Meade."

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/projo_20050401_01uri.23266e4.html

colgate13
June 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM
1. Lehigh
2. Lafayette (even being renovated. Goodman has the crowds. We'll reevalute after this season).
3. Colgate (those aren't temporary visiting bleachers - they're just metal, not concrete. They are permanent. Our new scoreboard will do a lot for us).
4. Bucknell
5. Holy Cross
6. Fordham
7. Georgetown

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Old and inadequate is charming and nostalgic if the on-field product is good and the fans make gameday a good experience. You'll hear fans of other teams criticize, of course. It's completely predictable.

Well said.
The best stadiums are the FULL stadiums.

PantherRob82
June 5th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Gateway

1. Youngstown-Great Gameday environment
2. UNI-High attendance for conference games and becoming very hostile.
3. Western Kentucky- Great 1/2 a stadium
4. Mizzou State - Put this 1/2 stadium w/ WKU 1/2 stadium and it would rock.
5. Western Illinois-Nice field, good fans, glorified High School Stadium
6. Illinois State-Has a lot of potential but needs work, poor locker room.
7. Southern Illinois-High School field, fans are miles from field.
8. Indiana State- I won't waste my energy, Terrible!

Unfortunately I've only made it to WIU. The stadium location isn't bad and once they upgrade the stands and press box (which they are in the process of doing), it should be pretty nice.

I'm hoping to make some more road trips, but from Cedar Falls the only easy drives are WIU and Il St. which are around the 4-5 hr range. I think everyone else is a minimum of 8.

henfan
June 5th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Tailgating: 1) UD, 2) JMU, 3) HU, 4) UR, 5) TU, 6) VU, 7) UMass, 8) URI, 9) W&M, 10) UNH, 11) UMaine and 12) NU

Gameday Atmosphere: 1) UD, 2) JMU, 3) W&M, 4) UMass, 5) HU, 6) VU, 7) TU, 8) UR, 9) UNH, 10) UMaine, 11) NU, and 12) URI

Overall: 1) UD, 2) JMU, 3) HU, 4) TU, 5) W&M, 6) UMass, 7) Richmond, 8) VU, 9) UNH, 10) URI, 11) UMaine and 12) NU

Rhody will likely pass UNH, VU and maybe even Richmond after renovations are completed on Meade this year. Looking forward to our trip to Kingston this fall. Richmond 's new field will put them in the top 5.

ezart34
June 5th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Tailgating
1 - McNeese State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Texas State
6 - Sam Houston
7 - Southeastern

Game Day Atmosphere
1 - McNeese State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - Stephen F. Austin
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Nicholls State
6 - Southeastern
7 - Texas State

Stadium
1 - McNeese State
2 - Stephen F. Austin
3 - Texas State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Northwestern State
6 - Southeastern
7 - Nicholls State

Field Conditions
1 - Northwestern State
2 - Southeastern
3 - Texas State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Nicholls State
6 - McNeese State
7 - Sam Houston - Hate the turf, we'll see what the new stuff is like.

Press Box
1 - McNeese State
2 - Stephen F. Austin
3 - Northwestern State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Southeastern
6 - Nicholls State
7 - Texas State

Most Obnoxious Student Section
1 - Northwestern State
2 - Texas State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Stephen F. Austin
6 - Southeastern
7 - McNeese State

Hottest Cheerleaders and Dance Squad
1 - Texas State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - McNeese State
4 - Southeastern
5 - Nicholls State
6 - Stephen F. Austin
7 - Sam Houston

Best Mascot
1 - Rowdy - McNeese State
2 - Vick - Northwestern State
3 - Incestual Brother & Sister Bearkats - Sam Houston State
4 - Tied with the rest

Easiest Stadium to sneak alcohol into
1 - Texas State
2 - Nicholls State
3 - Southeastern
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Stephen F. Austin
6 - McNeese State
7 - Northwestern State

Hope that is enough info, minus the best band which i don't listen to couldn't think of much more to rate.

LBPop
June 5th, 2006, 01:06 PM
1. Lehigh
2. Lafayette (even being renovated. Goodman has the crowds. We'll reevalute after this season).
3. Colgate (those aren't temporary visiting bleachers - they're just metal, not concrete. They are permanent. Our new scoreboard will do a lot for us).
4. Bucknell
5. Holy Cross
6. Fordham
7. Georgetown

Looking forward to my first visit to Colgate and Lafayette this fall. After that, I would be able to offer a full opinion, but of the five I have seen I would agree with 13's assessment. I will say that I really like Bucknell's field and I am a bit surprised at your putting them in fourth position. I really like field turf, I think the horseshoe bowl effect is excellent and the trimmed hedges on the closed end are quite impressive. If Lafayette and Colgate are better, I am even more excited about visiting.

As for Georgetown, the field turf and some brick work are nice, but the stands are "temporary" and I am not holding my breath waiting for the next steps to be taken. I am hearing that the final plan is now back under evaluation--that might mean a bigger project, but a much longer timeline.

colgate13
June 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Lafayette's planned improvements will make that stadium awesome. It's hard to spend $23 million and not have it be nice! Comparing it to Goodman will be interesting. I'm real fond of Goodman's bowl type set up.

Colgate vs. Bucknell is probably a toss up. Andy Kerr has a different feel to it but I think the setting is nicer than Matthewson. I'm not a fan of field turf either...

chrisattsu
June 5th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Tailgating
1 - McNeese State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Texas State
6 - Sam Houston
7 - Southeastern

Game Day Atmosphere
1 - McNeese State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - Stephen F. Austin
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Nicholls State
6 - Southeastern
7 - Texas State

Stadium
1 - McNeese State
2 - Stephen F. Austin
3 - Texas State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Northwestern State
6 - Southeastern
7 - Nicholls State

Field Conditions
1 - Northwestern State
2 - Southeastern
3 - Texas State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Nicholls State
6 - McNeese State

Press Box
1 - McNeese State
2 - Stephen F. Austin
3 - Northwestern State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Southeastern
6 - Nicholls State
7 - Texas State

1 - Northwestern State
2 - Texas State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Stephen F. Austin
6 - Southeastern
7 - McNeese State

1 - Texas State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - McNeese State
4 - Southeastern
5 - Nicholls State
6 - Stephen F. Austin
7 - Sam Houston

Best Mascot
4 - Tied with the rest

1 - Texas State
2 - Nicholls State
3 - Southeastern
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Stephen F. Austin
6 - McNeese State
7 - Northwestern State

Hope that is enough info, minus the best band which i don't listen to couldn't think of much more to rate.

I will admit our tailgating and game day atmosphere sucked during the early part of the year. You have to remember that Bobcatfans are slowly coming back out of the games. Give us a couple more winning seasons to establish a tailgating tradition and we should do alright.

I do like the fact that we have the hottest cheerleaders, some of the rowdiest students, and make bringing alcohol inside easy .:thumbsup:

bobcatfan06
June 5th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I don't understand how we have the 3rd best field conditions when we have FieldTurf?? Shouldn't they be perfect conditions for every game?? And best mascot definately goes to us. Boko was the National Champion this year. How is he not the best in the Southland??

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I don't understand how we have the 3rd best field conditions when we have FieldTurf?? Shouldn't they be perfect conditions for every game?? And best mascot definately goes to us. Boko was the National Champion this year. How is he not the best in the Southland??

One of several National Champions...remember it's cheerleading. Each school in the SLC seems to have a national champ last year! Sammy Bearkat won in 2005 and the guy inside is now the mascot of the expansion Chicago Sky...

blackfordpu
June 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Tailgating
1 - McNeese State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Texas State
6 - Sam Houston
7 - Southeastern

Game Day Atmosphere
1 - McNeese State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - Stephen F. Austin
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Nicholls State
6 - Southeastern
7 - Texas State

Stadium
1 - McNeese State
2 - Stephen F. Austin
3 - Texas State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Northwestern State
6 - Southeastern
7 - Nicholls State

Field Conditions
1 - Northwestern State
2 - Southeastern
3 - Texas State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Nicholls State
6 - McNeese State

Press Box
1 - McNeese State
2 - Stephen F. Austin
3 - Northwestern State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Southeastern
6 - Nicholls State
7 - Texas State

1 - Northwestern State
2 - Texas State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Stephen F. Austin
6 - Southeastern
7 - McNeese State

1 - Texas State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - McNeese State
4 - Southeastern
5 - Nicholls State
6 - Stephen F. Austin
7 - Sam Houston

Best Mascot
4 - Tied with the rest

1 - Texas State
2 - Nicholls State
3 - Southeastern
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Stephen F. Austin
6 - McNeese State
7 - Northwestern State

Can we say HOMER!:nod:

kats89
June 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM

:rolleyes: oh brother. It's just one guys opinion.

crunifan
June 5th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I'd say...

1) Western Kentucky (when upgrade is complete it could be the best in I-AA)
2) Youngstown State
3) UNI
4) Missouri State
5) Western Illinois
6) Illinois State
7) Southern Illinois
8) Indiana State (there is one thing worse than the stadium...the team :()

carney2
June 5th, 2006, 07:46 PM
As 'bad' as Franklin Field is in terms of being old, it is one of those classics, like Wrigley Field, that despite the aesthetics, it's still a great place to watch a game.

Parking is nonexistent, squared off end zones suk, concessions and lavatories are pre-depression, and the neighborhood (West Philly) is not pleasant. Still, one of my all time favorite places to watch a football game.

GeauxColonels
June 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Tailgating
1 - McNeese State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Texas State
6 - Sam Houston
7 - Southeastern

Nicholls 3rd? Really? Have you only been when Nicholls played McNeese? Just curious, because to me, tailgating is pretty much non-existent unless we're playing Northwestern or McNeese.

Field Conditions
1 - Northwestern State
2 - Southeastern
3 - Texas State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Nicholls State
6 - McNeese State

Wait, McNeese is WORSE than Nicholls? I have to say that our field surface (aka Bayou Bermuda according to the Sports Information Department) is TERRIBLE after a good rain or two. No I haven't been to McNeese after a rain, so maybe the two are similar.

1 - Northwestern State
2 - Texas State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Stephen F. Austin
6 - Southeastern
7 - McNeese State

I'll take THAT as a compliment.

bostonspider
June 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Well hopefully the added amenities and on campus location of the new First Market Stadium will offset the reduction in size from UR Stadium, and unfortunate need to keep the track. I am hopeful it will be a great place to catch a game. By the way UR has already raised over 15 million of the 20 million dollar cost, so hopefully construction will start next spring.

Future:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/rich/graphics/first-market-renderings.gif

Current:
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/virginia/richmond_university.jpg

TheBisonator
June 5th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Here's how I would rank the GWFC stadiums for 2006, including the new UC Davis stadium:

1) North Dakota State (No contest whatsoever.)

2) UC Davis (This new facility is bigger than Cal-Poly's, and will end up costing more, so I'll give them the nod for now.)

3) Cal-Poly (From pics I've seen, it looks to be a wonderful first phase to a great master plan. I wish I could go to Cali and see both stadiums in person so I could make up my mind for #2 and #3.)

4) Southern Utah (It looks well-put together from the pics and TV footage I've seen, but it's small, and the crowds are sparse.)

5) South Dakota State (You Rabbits still need a lot of work to do on your place. The new scoreboard looks spectacular, but you're going to need new grandstands on BOTH sides. The visitors side was pathetic when I went to the game there back in 2004, and I had to avoid splinters and there was yellow paint on my ass afterwards.)

WMTribe90
June 5th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Tailgating: 1) UD, 2) JMU, 3) HU, 4) UR, 5) TU, 6) VU, 7) UMass, 8) URI, 9) W&M, 10) UNH, 11) UMaine and 12) NU

Hen Fan,

I assume your low ranking of WM is based on the difficulty of visiting fans to tailgate near the stadium. However, WM has a good quantity of tailgating immediately adjacent to the stadium, its just not available to visiting fans. WM is certainly better than URI and VU and belongs in the top half of the league IMO. Also, UMaine had surprisingly decent tailgating. Even as a visiting fan I was able to park right outside the stadium for a reasonable fee and set up shop. Maine fans were very hospitable. Not alot of quantity, but quality IMO.

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 5th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Can we say HOMER!:nod:

:nod: xlolx

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 6th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Tailgating
1 - McNeese State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Texas State
6 - Sam Houston
7 - Southeastern

Game Day Atmosphere
1 - McNeese State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - Stephen F. Austin
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Nicholls State
6 - Southeastern
7 - Texas State

Stadium
1 - McNeese State
2 - Stephen F. Austin
3 - Texas State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Northwestern State
6 - Southeastern
7 - Nicholls State

Field Conditions
1 - Northwestern State
2 - Southeastern
3 - Texas State
4 - Stephen F. Austin
5 - Nicholls State
6 - McNeese State

Press Box
1 - McNeese State
2 - Stephen F. Austin
3 - Northwestern State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Southeastern
6 - Nicholls State
7 - Texas State

1 - Northwestern State
2 - Texas State
3 - Nicholls State
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Stephen F. Austin
6 - Southeastern
7 - McNeese State

1 - Texas State
2 - Northwestern State
3 - McNeese State
4 - Southeastern
5 - Nicholls State
6 - Stephen F. Austin
7 - Sam Houston

Best Mascot
4 - Tied with the rest

1 - Texas State
2 - Nicholls State
3 - Southeastern
4 - Sam Houston
5 - Stephen F. Austin
6 - McNeese State
7 - Northwestern State

LoL...ok, let me take a look. hmmm, nope.

Tailgating...I'll give u that. We haven't had good tailgating until this year, and McNeese is well known for it's tailgating and atmosphere (I experienced it firsthand in 2002 and 2004. mmmmmm, jumbalaya...).

Game Day Atmosphere...LAST FOR TEXAS STATE?!?!? Are you kidding me? HAHAHA...that's a laugher.xlolx xlolx xlolx We should, at the VERY least, be 3rd on the list ahead of SHSU and SFA.

SFA's stadium over Texas State's???xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx
I would venture to say SFA has the worst stadium in the SLC.

Field conditions...I don't know much about. I do know we have the new field turf stuff now. Maybe this was based on prior to 2002, when we had natural grass.

Yes, our press box sucks. I haven't seen the rest, but we may have the worst in the SLC.

Obnoxious student section...I'll give u that. It's our job to help create a home-field advantage, so we're rowdy. Now, given that, how is TxSt. last in game day atmosphere?

Hottest Cheer Squad...yes. Hottest Dance Squad--HELL NO! HAHAHA...HANDS DOWN, this should go to SHSU. They make my knees weak everytime I see them perform.:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

Best Mascot...differs from year to year, as someone from SHSU pointed out (TT?). This year, it's our man Boko, the nat'l champ.

And yes, it is very easy to sneak in alcohol into our stadium. Just adds to the atmosphere. :smiley_wi

UNH SUPERFAN
June 6th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Wait a minute, so you are telling me there are worse fields in the A-10 than New Hampshire??:eek:
I'M SAYING THERE ARE WORSE STADIUMS. NORTHEASTERN'S STADIUMS IS IN THE MIDDLE OF A RESIDENTIAL AREA, NOT CONDUSIVE TO COLLEGE FOOTBALL. URI'S STADIUM IS MUCH LIKE UNH'S BUT I BELIEVE IT IS NOT AS GOOD. REMEMBER, WHEN YOU ARE DEALING WITH THE BOTTOM THREE THEY ARE VIRTUALLY INTERCHANGABLE! THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT ALL 3 NEED NEW STADIUMS. UNH HAS A STADIUM PLAN ON THE DRAWING BOARD WAITING FOR FUNDING.

LBPop
June 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Parking is nonexistent, squared off end zones suk, concessions and lavatories are pre-depression, and the neighborhood (West Philly) is not pleasant. Still, one of my all time favorite places to watch a football game.

xlolx xlolx
Your comments (with which I agree) remind me of that famous fictitious line: "Besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Granite
June 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Just need UNH, Northeastern, Nova & URI to step it up.

There is a plan on the table for an entire renovation to Cowell Stadium which will encompass significant upgrades to the rest of the athletic complex at UNH, including the Fieldhouse, lockerrooms, athlete-academics complex, etc. As UNH SUPERFAN says, its awaiting funding - UNH hasn't officially announced a fundraising drive yet, but its a top discussion topic behind the scenes. Sometimes these things get lost in the shuffle, but based on what has been talked about in Durham, this project is very much in the mix of infrastructure priorities at UNH. When it happens is still in question, but there is no doubt that athletic facilities upgrades are going to continue to get attention in the near term.

henfan
June 6th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Hen Fan,

I assume your low ranking of WM is based on the difficulty of visiting fans to tailgate near the stadium. However, WM has a good quantity of tailgating immediately adjacent to the stadium, its just not available to visiting fans. WM is certainly better than URI and VU and belongs in the top half of the league IMO. Also, UMaine had surprisingly decent tailgating. Even as a visiting fan I was able to park right outside the stadium for a reasonable fee and set up shop. Maine fans were very hospitable. Not alot of quantity, but quality IMO.

WMTribe90, no offense intended. My comments were meant as opinion only and is highly subjective based on my experience. I've been to the 'Burg and most A-10 venues multiple times. Been to Carey-Zable as much as any other. (Disclosure: I've only been to Alfond once and that was prior to renovation. I based my opinion of UMaine on comments of family/friends who've been there in recent years.)

W&M's tailgating scene is fine but decidely tiny, as is the case at most A-10 stadiums (some non-existant, though they are getting better). The stadium is the most landlocked in the conference, with the exception of Northeastern. Yeah, my rating was based partly on availability of tailgating space. Aside from the reserved parking in the practice fields and the lot at W&M Hall, there's not many other spots condusive to setting up a tailgate. IMO, there are only marginal differences in tailgating scenes once you get outside of Newark, H'burg and Hempstead. They are easily the three best, with UR, TU, VU, UMass, URI, and W&M a distance away in terms of quality. There's a separation between the latter schools and UNH and UMaine, who seem to have highly erractic situations. NU, with its 17 reserved tailgating spaces, is in a league of its own, unfortunately. UMass used to be second only to UD but has really tailed off since the mid-'90's.

Notice that I rated Carey-Zable #3 for gameday atmosphere and #5 overall. What W&M lacks in tailgating, it makes up for in several other ways. There are hospitable fans all over the league, even at 'Nova.:thumbsup:

89Hen
June 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I assume your low ranking of WM is based on the difficulty of visiting fans to tailgate near the stadium. However, WM has a good quantity of tailgating immediately adjacent to the stadium, its just not available to visiting fans.
I was a little surprised to see henfan's low ranking of W&M on that front too. FWIW, last year the skinny lot immediately behind the visiting side of Zable was 80% UD fans and 20% W&M. I couln't figure out how so many Hen fans got those spots adjacent to the stadium.

Last year Towson had one of the stronger perfomances I've seen in the A10 for tailgaiting. The only mistake they make there is not handing out garbage bags to everyone who drives in. After the fireworks after the game, it looked like a landfill in the lots near the stadium. : smh :

JMU is also at the top IMO. Only problem I've had with JMU is that I always end up parking across I-81 and have to walk through the tunnel. On the way in it's not bad because it's all downhill, but after the game it's a trudge, especially with kids on back.

UMass may have more space for tailgaiting, but not many seemed to tailgate the couple times I've been to McGuirk. They'd still round out my top 5 in the A10.

Granite
June 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
WMTribe90, no offense intended. IMO, there are only marginal differences in tailgating scenes once you get outside of Newark, H'burg and Hempstead. They are easily the three best, with UR, TU, VU, UMass, URI, and W&M a distance away in terms of quality. There's a separation between the latter schools and UNH and UMaine, who seem to have highly erractic situations. NU, with its 17 reserved tailgating spaces, is in a league of its own, unfortunately. UMass used to be second only to UD but has really tailed off since the mid-'90's.

henfan, I agree that UNH tailgating has been eratic over the years. But I have to say, its getting better - tailgating over the past two seasons has really picked up signicantly. Boulder Field was packed all last season, and especially late into November and early December when the weather was really awful. The tailgating atmosphere before the UNI game was impressive. UNH is nowhere near the best in terms of tailgating tradition, but the success of the team over the past few seasons has really increased the tailgating experience, IMO. If UD visits again sometime soon, I'm sure the experience will be different than your last visit to Durham in 2003.

GeauxColonels
June 6th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I was a little surprised to see henfan's low ranking of W&M on that front too.
That's really kind of the point to this thread. To see other peoples' perspectives on the other schools' facilities. Then we can find out why people like/dislike it. I would definitely be the first to say that too often are fans under-critical of their own facilities while being over-critical of other schools' (especially big-time rivalries).

henfan
June 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
If UD visits again sometime soon, I'm sure the experience will be different than your last visit to Durham in 2003.

Actually, the 2003 trip to Durham impressed me more than any other. Boulder Field was packed with a homecoming crowd, many of whom did not make it inside of Cowell. A beautifully, sunny and warm New England day. If not for Connor McCormick's kick wide right with no time remaining, it would have been an even better day for the 'Cats and their fans. (I still think that kick went through the uprights, but I'll take the call!)

WMTribe90
June 6th, 2006, 02:13 PM
W&M's tailgating scene is fine but decidely tiny, as is the case at most A-10 stadiums (some non-existant, though they are getting better). The stadium is the most landlocked in the conference, with the exception of Northeastern. Yeah, my rating was based partly on availability of tailgating space. Aside from the reserved parking in the practice fields and the lot at W&M Hall, there's not many other spots condusive to setting up a tailgate.

HF,

I didn't take your assessment personally, just feel you may have underestimated WM's tailgating possibilities.

As 89Hen mentioned there is a sizeable lot immediately behind the visitors stand that is used for tailgating. The St. Bede's church lot immediately behind the north endzone side is reserved for WM QB Club members tailgating. Then there is the alumni house that sits adjacent to St. Bede's. The alumni house isn't tailgating, but it holds pre and post game events. There are also three bars (delhis) immediately across the street (richmond rd) from the stadium. Again, while the tailgating options for visiting fans may be largely limited to the Hall lot there is a good amount of tailgating space close in to the stadium in general.

Granite
June 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Actually, the 2003 trip to Durham impressed me more than any other. Boulder Field was packed with a homecoming crowd, many of whom did not make it inside of Cowell. A beautifully, sunny and warm New England day. If not for Connor McCormick's kick wide right with no time remaining, it would have been an even better day for the 'Cats and their fans. (I still think that kick went through the uprights, but I'll take the call!)

Ugh, thanks for reminding me, henfan! :bang:

That was a great game, lots of drama, momentum shifts, and emotion swings.

I think that winning (and the reversal of the alcohol ban 6 or 7 years ago) have really helped the tailgating tradition. In fact, its been hard to get people off of Boulder Field and into Cowell Stadium by kickoff!

PAmedic
June 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM
4. G-webb -whatever

the new AD agreed w/ you: $600K worth of new field turf going down as we speak, 60K sq ft Williams FB-Ops Ctr will be completed (?) for the start of the season, poss upgrades to the scoreboard (unsure on that one).

now all we have to do is learn how to win! :D

http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm?PID=11198

henfan
June 6th, 2006, 03:44 PM
The St. Bede's church lot immediately behind the north endzone side is reserved for WM QB Club members tailgating... Again, while the tailgating options for visiting fans may be largely limited to the Hall lot there is a good amount of tailgating space close in to the stadium in general.

I've tailgated at St. Bede's back when they used to allow in out-of-towner ne'r-do-wells. Also have been to the Hospitality House for pre-game functions.

bigbluetiger
June 6th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I've only been to 4/9 OVC stadiums....but of those 4...

1. TSU-It's an NFL stadium...does that really count?
2. EKU-A little lopsided, but it can hold 25,000+ without much of a problem. Also a jumbotron and a picture perfect natural grass field.
3. Tennessee Tech-Nice Stadium...Astroturf the last time I was there. Nothing wrong and nothing spectacular either.
4. Murray State-One sided. Has very old Astroturf that is, to be totally honest, becoming warped and dangerous to anyone who plays on it. The conference really should pressure them into replacing it. Except for the one-sidedness it's not a terrible facility otherwise.

Out of the other 5...clearly UTM is a little meager, SEMO looks nice but small (high on my list of places to visit), EIU looks unimpressive, JSU looks like a very intense place, and Samford looks gorgeous as well.

Also, we have Austin Peay coming back to the league, but I haven't heard to many good things about their stadium even though it looks decent in pictures.

I would move Samford to the top of the list. Small but Nice I-AA stadium.....it's adequate for their fan base. I'm not real fond of our NFL stadium. However, with some successs on the field I could get used to it.

TulsaBobcat
June 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Montana
Montana State (only ahead of Weber because of larger crowds)
Weber State
Portland State
Eastern Washington (small but getting much better)
Sacramento State (more fans = higher ranking)
Northern Colorado
NAU (domes are lame)
Idaho State (" ")

ucdtim17
June 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
1) New to-be-named UCD stadium - bigger than CP and I like the bowl
2) CP - going to be nice
3) NDSU - football should not be played in a dome
4) SDSU - not really familiar with it
5) SUU - I have no idea about their stadium but it's probably worst

IaaScribe
June 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Having been to all five Big South stadiums (though only three for actual games), I humbly offer this:

1. Coastal Carolina, but not by a whole lot. It's a very nice looking place, though right next to a highway. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like on a gameday next fall.
2. Gardner-Webb. Pluses include a great press facility, a nice home locker room and neat atmosphere. Kind of tucked away from everything. The visitor locker room was definitely cramped and doing interviews was a royal pain in the ass because of this.
3. Liberty. The FieldTurf and new football ops center will make a world of difference. The place was an absolute nightmare if you wanted to talk to coaches/players from both teams, because the visitors and home teams were on opposite sides of each other. That still will be the case, but there's talk of better organization and setting up a press room in the football center. I sincerely hope so.
4. VMI. Neat place with a great atmosphere and really nice press box. Again, haven't seen it on gameday, but I will be up there twice for games this fall.
5. Charleston Southern. Sorry Bucs, this is an awful, awful stadium. Some of the JC stadiums in Arizona were nicer. They did have working wireless in the press box. And Charleston itself is a fabulous city. But the stadium reeks of small time.

RabidRabbit
June 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
1) New to-be-named UCD stadium - bigger than CP and I like the bowl 2007 & Beyond - time to bury the Toombs
2) CP - going to be nice Thank S Fever for sharing pics - looking really nice
3) NDSU - football should not be played in a dome When it's below freezing, and snow and wind's howling you'll appreciate a great dome home.
4) SDSU - not really familiar with it Large concrete one sided structure built in 1963. Minimal changes to the stadium itself. Oh, weather issues like NDSU.
5) SUU - I have no idea about their stadium but it's probably worst McNeese board had slide show about their trip to SUU. Stadium appeared small. Crowds seem to be.

My :twocents:

PantherRob82
June 6th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Ugh, thanks for reminding me, henfan! :bang:

That was a great game, lots of drama, momentum shifts, and emotion swings.

I think that winning (and the reversal of the alcohol ban 6 or 7 years ago) have really helped the tailgating tradition. In fact, its been hard to get people off of Boulder Field and into Cowell Stadium by kickoff!

are there any plans for a parking lot? :D

EKU05
June 6th, 2006, 11:30 PM
BBT, I would actually agree about the Colliseum. It's obviously a nice stadium, but it's not the most practical thing for 1AA football. I know you get great homecoming crowds, and the "classic" games draw well, but both times I've been there to watch the Colonels it just seems rather cavernous.

On the other hand...I also went to the 2003 (I think) Music City Bowl (Auburn vs. Wisconsin)....the Stadium was a great atmosphere that day.

As for Samford...I've heard good things but I've never been there. I'd like to get there someday.

BigApp
June 7th, 2006, 10:27 AM
I haven't been to VMI or Liberty - but Gardner-Webb's wasn't too bad IMHO.

With a statement like that, I dare say you haven't been to many college football stadiums.:eyebrow: Even with the upgrades, it's not a desirable place to be. Even your old "Graveyard" is better

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Not sure about today, but back in the Ice Age when I attended UNH, the Boulder Fields area used for tailgating was also used for intramural sports, football in particular. Therefore, it's not likely to be paved.

FWIW, there is a large paved parking lot across the street where tailgating is allowed, albeit with no alcohol . There are other paved parking areas not far from Cowell that can be used (with alcohol consumption to the best of my knowledge), if a paved surface is more important than being in the primary tailgating area.

I don't know what the heck UNH would have down if the semi-final game had occured. The tailgating area would have been under 16" of fresh snow!! And I seriously doubt plows were going out into those fields.

For now, you've got to cut UNH some slack. The entire football tradition and tailgating were beat into submission during a couple of other administrations during the 90's. That was also when the seating capacity was decreased. The past two winning seasons have gone a long way to recover the football experience in Durham that once was a close second to UMass among New England Yankee/A-10 schools (BU, UConn days included). Hopefully, a couple more winning seasons will complete the recovery and reinstate football as equal partner to ice hockey as the number one sport at UNH.

Mr. Tiger
June 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM
SWAC - since I'm the only SWAC fan alive right now! :nod: :nod:

1)Alabama A&M
2)Southern U
3)Alabama State
4)Alcorn State
5)Jackson State
6)Grambling State
7)Ark Pine Bluff
8)Miss Valley
9)Prairie View
10)Texas Southern

:eek: Jackson State at No. 5 behind Alabama State. :eyebrow:

1. Jackson State -- Seats about 62,000. Renovated. A great place to watch a game, especially a matchup with Southern. There is no way it ranks lower than Alabama State.

2. Southern -- Seats about 35,000. A great game-time atmosphere. Great tailgating. Only negative is it really isn't big enough to host a Jackson State-Southern game.

3. Alabama A&M -- Seats about 22,000. Very nice on-campus stadium. Only problem is A&M draws nobody to it.

The Rest<
4. Alcorn State
5. Grambling State
6. Mississippi Valley
7. Alabama State -- The Crampton Bowl is widely regarded as now being functionally obsolete, according to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I have to agree with the encyclopedia.

The Never to<
Ark-Pine Bluff, Texas Southern and Prairie View.

bison95
June 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Here's how I would rank the GWFC stadiums for 2006, including the new UC Davis stadium:

1) North Dakota State (No contest whatsoever.)

2) UC Davis (This new facility is bigger than Cal-Poly's, and will end up costing more, so I'll give them the nod for now.)

3) Cal-Poly (From pics I've seen, it looks to be a wonderful first phase to a great master plan. I wish I could go to Cali and see both stadiums in person so I could make up my mind for #2 and #3.)

4) Southern Utah (It looks well-put together from the pics and TV footage I've seen, but it's small, and the crowds are sparse.)

5) South Dakota State (You Rabbits still need a lot of work to do on your place. The new scoreboard looks spectacular, but you're going to need new grandstands on BOTH sides. The visitors side was pathetic when I went to the game there back in 2004, and I had to avoid splinters and there was yellow paint on my ass afterwards.)

Sorry, I may have used your seat as a pisser, because ther are NO FRICKEN BATHROOMS

kats89
June 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Hottest Cheer Squad...yes. Hottest Dance Squad--HELL NO! HAHAHA...HANDS DOWN, this should go to SHSU. They make my knees weak everytime I see them perform.:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

I am not really worried about all this other stuff, but I will agree 100% on this one. The SHSU Dance Team "Orange Pride" will cause a distraction to any fan.

Granite
June 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Well, as UNH Alum says, there actually is adequate parking in the vicinity of the stadium, including a large commuter/faculty staff lot across the street and a number of lots near the agriculture facilities up the road. The downside to these is no alcohol - but Boulder Field allows alcohol, and can accommodate plenty of tailgaters. Plus in December, when you guys were there, the ground was so frozen it might as well have been paved! xlolx

UNH Alum, they don't really use Boulder Field for intramurals anymore - a few of the sport club teams practice there (ultimate frisbee, etc.), but most of the organized intramural sport programs take place up on Bremner Field. They are also renovating Lower Field, including installing a subsurface, new natural turf, and drainage to accommodate recreational/intramural sports play, so that should really increase the playing areas and relieve Boulder Field from what's left of its days as an athletics facility.

McNeeserocket
June 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM
LoL...ok, let me take a look. hmmm, nope.

Tailgating...I'll give u that. We haven't had good tailgating until this year, and McNeese is well known for it's tailgating and atmosphere (I experienced it firsthand in 2002 and 2004. mmmmmm, jumbalaya...).

Game Day Atmosphere...LAST FOR TEXAS STATE?!?!? Are you kidding me? HAHAHA...that's a laugher.xlolx xlolx xlolx We should, at the VERY least, be 3rd on the list ahead of SHSU and SFA.

SFA's stadium over Texas State's???xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx
I would venture to say SFA has the worst stadium in the SLC.

Field conditions...I don't know much about. I do know we have the new field turf stuff now. Maybe this was based on prior to 2002, when we had natural grass.

Yes, our press box sucks. I haven't seen the rest, but we may have the worst in the SLC.

Obnoxious student section...I'll give u that. It's our job to help create a home-field advantage, so we're rowdy. Now, given that, how is TxSt. last in game day atmosphere?

Best Mascot...differs from year to year, as someone from SHSU pointed out (TT?). This year, it's our man Boko, the nat'l champ.

And yes, it is very easy to sneak in alcohol into our stadium. Just adds to the atmosphere. :smiley_wi

Tailgating: I would not rank Texas State last. I think your tailgating is better than Southeasterns

Obnoxious Students: I have to agree. I would not take this as a compliment! If your students were just loud and drunk I would say that is part of being a good student fan. But a lot of your students (some of the student age people there at the games may not be students but just visitors) are very rude, and agressive to visitors, especially to senior age (60 plus years old) visitor fans. Older people are less able to cope with mean spirited and aggressive young people. Your administration should try and get a handle on the students who sit near the visitors' section to try make visitors feel safe. I realize that the 50 or so students who are repeatly the ones who severely harass visitors are in the minority, but they leave a very bad impression and unfortunately they paint a picture that is probably not at all representative of the student body of Texas State.

Field Condition: I think your field condition is great.

Game Day Atmosphere: I think your stadium is very nice (minus the agressive mean spirited 50 or so students). I think the train continuely going by during the game is somewhat of major distraction from the feel of a big time football atmosphere (though I don't know anyone can do anything about the trains).

Actually, I think your football day experience would be top rate if you could solve the agressive mean spirted student fans who make an art of severely harassing visitor fans. This one thing leaves one with a bad impression of the whole experience and that is unfortunate as I believe Texas State should be tops in the Southland with the enrollment you have and the money available to make such improvements.

MplsBison
June 7th, 2006, 05:37 PM
SUU got money from the government to build some facilities for some state olympics or something.

They got a nice arena and updated there stadium for the track and field part of the games.

I wouldn't be suprised if SUU drops football.

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Tailgating: I would not rank Texas State last. I think your tailgating is better than Southeasterns

Obnoxious Students: I have to agree. I would not take this as a compliment! If your students were just loud and drunk I would say that is part of being a good student fan. But a lot of your students (some of the student age people there at the games may not be students but just visitors) are very rude, and agressive to visitors, especially to senior age (60 plus years old) visitor fans. Older people are less able to cope with mean spirited and aggressive young people. Your administration should try and get a handle on the students who sit near the visitors' section to try make visitors feel safe. I realize that the 50 or so students who are repeatly the ones who severely harass visitors are in the minority, but they leave a very bad impression and unfortunately they paint a picture that is probably not at all representative of the student body of Texas State.
Field Condition: I think your field condition is great.

Game Day Atmosphere: I think your stadium is very nice (minus the agressive mean spirited 50 or so students). I think the train continuely going by during the game is somewhat of major distraction from the feel of a big time football atmosphere (though I don't know anyone can do anything about the trains).

Actually, I think your football day experience would be top rate if you could solve the agressive mean spirted student fans who make an art of severely harassing visitor fans. This one thing leaves one with a bad impression of the whole experience and that is unfortunate as I believe Texas State should be tops in the Southland with the enrollment you have and the money available to make such improvements.

Thanks for the compliments. I realize that our students section CAN BE horrible. There's not much that the school administration can do about it since a) your fans were sitting in the student section as I understand it, and b) The Wack didn't have a designated visitors section prior to the SHSU game (or maybe it was the GSU game) because, quite frankly, not many visitor fans have ever come down to san marcos, and when they did, they sat behind the standing student section (which caused complaints because our students stand throughout the duration of the game). Now, as some have suggested, the University could switched the teams sides, but that won't happen because the East stands (alumni, or TEXAS side) are shaded most of the game while the West stands (student, or STATE side) look into the sun. Built-in home field advantage I suppose. Another suggestion was that we could switch the sides of the fans (students on East with home football team, alumni and visitors on the West), but I doubt that the alumni of the school would want to look into the glaring sun (which would most likely cause a decrease in ticket sales). The only reasonable solution I see to this problem is having the visitors sit on the TEXAS side; but they would not be sitting behind their team, which could cause more complaints. If/When the stadium is expanded, I hope they seriously address this issue.

As far as the train goes, I don't know if there is anything you can do about it. Again, it's a built-in home-field advantage and quickly becoming a welcome tradition at our football games. The students even have a hand sign for it. Whenever the train goes by and blasts its horn (oddly enough, most times we're on defense), it only makes the crowd even more rowdy. I don't know much about trains, but I'd imagine it would cost lots of $$$$$$$ to re-route the train to avoid the stadium. The train tracks literally splits San Marcos in half, so there would probably be more of a headache to the entire city to get this fixed than it is to just keep the train on its current route.

Brad82
June 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Rhody Alums building new West side-actually looks real good.
East side will probably be condemned in near future. Would not be surprised to see something like Towson (7k) in next 5 years.

TigerFan17
June 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Rhody Alums building new West side-actually looks real good.
East side will probably be condemned in near future. Would not be surprised to see something like Towson (7k) in next 5 years.

Johnny Unitas Stadium seats over 11k.

Brad82
June 8th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I don't think Rhody could support more than 7k $$ wise. In theory 10k would be ideal. Would have to start winning.

GeauxColonels
June 8th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Best Mascot
4 - Tied with the rest

Nicholls actually should be 7 with the other 3 schools tied at 4 since our President, is ALL his glory and unending wisdom decided that the majority of students (most of whom grew up in the surrounding parishes) were NOT right in wanting to keep the mascot. Therefore, we HAVE NO MASCOT as of now! : flamemad : flamemad : flamemad
And from what I understand, they're wasting TONS of money and getting no where on designing a new mascot. :bang: :bang: :bang:

GeauxColonels
June 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM

The facility up there looks GREAT! I don't think my wife is too happy about UCA joining the SLC, since I told her I'm going to have to go to a game there in the coming years because it will be the only SLC stadium I haven't been to.

JoshUCA
June 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks, and we look forward to you and all the other fans coming up here when the time come!

Pard94
June 9th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Lafayette's planned improvements will make that stadium awesome. It's hard to spend $23 million and not have it be nice! Comparing it to Goodman will be interesting. I'm real fond of Goodman's bowl type set up.

Colgate vs. Bucknell is probably a toss up. Andy Kerr has a different feel to it but I think the setting is nicer than Matthewson. I'm not a fan of field turf either...

I'm not saying it is certain that the renovations will catapult Fisher to the top of the list. I will say that if the renovations even put it close to Goodman from an amenities standpoint, the on campus location of Fisher Field will tip the scales in favor of Lafayette.

Pard4Life
June 9th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I'm not saying it is certain that the renovations will catapult Fisher to the top of the list. I will say that if the renovations even put it close to Goodman from an amenities standpoint, the on campus location of Fisher Field will tip the scales in favor of Lafayette.

I will be the audacious one and say Fisher will be better than Goodman. :thumbsup: Surely the donors had that in mind a little bit when they wanted a new field.

JaxStateManager
June 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Best facilities:
1. Tennessee State, only because its the home of the Titans
2. Jacksonville State, good surface, ample room, great atmosphere
3. Eastern Kentucky, good surface, mediocre dressing area
4. EIEIU, great surface, nice atmosphere, long walk from dressing area
5. Murray State, hate the astroturf, great dressing area, long walk
6. SEMO, good surface, horrible dressing area, small sideline
7. Samford, good surface, bad dressing area, extremely long walk to field
8. Tennessee Tech, hate the astroturf, horrible dressing area, logistical nightmare
9. Tennessee Martin, worst field I have ever seen, dressing area is a joke...my old high school's dressing room was bigger and better
10. Austin Peay (for next season), hate the astroturf, dressing area is non-existant, and the pressbox is terrible.

McNeese75
June 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I realize that our students section CAN BE horrible. There's not much that the school administration can do about it since a) your fans were sitting in the student section as I understand it, and b) The Wack didn't have a designated visitors section prior to the SHSU game (or maybe it was the GSU game) because, quite frankly, not many visitor fans have ever come down to san marcos, and when they did, they sat behind the standing student section (which caused complaints because our students stand throughout the duration of the game). Now, as some have suggested, the University could switched the teams sides, but that won't happen because the East stands (alumni, or TEXAS side) are shaded most of the game while the West stands (student, or STATE side) look into the sun. Built-in home field advantage I suppose. Another suggestion was that we could switch the sides of the fans (students on East with home football team, alumni and visitors on the West), but I doubt that the alumni of the school would want to look into the glaring sun (which would most likely cause a decrease in ticket sales). The only reasonable solution I see to this problem is having the visitors sit on the TEXAS side; but they would not be sitting behind their team, which could cause more complaints. If/When the stadium is expanded, I hope they seriously address this issue.

As far as the train goes, I don't know if there is anything you can do about it. Again, it's a built-in home-field advantage and quickly becoming a welcome tradition at our football games. The students even have a hand sign for it. Whenever the train goes by and blasts its horn (oddly enough, most times we're on defense), it only makes the crowd even more rowdy. I don't know much about trains, but I'd imagine it would cost lots of $$$$$$$ to re-route the train to avoid the stadium. The train tracks literally splits San Marcos in half, so there would probably be more of a headache to the entire city to get this fixed than it is to just keep the train on its current route.

A simple separation of the Students and visiting fans would help solve a lot of problems (even putting the visitors in the upper deck). The students standing all game does not bother McNeese Fans (most of us stand the whole game anyway). A few more successful seasons like last year will really elevate the game atmosphere at SM. You will start grooming "True" Cat fans and not UT wannabees. :)

slostang
June 11th, 2006, 11:06 PM
A simple separation of the Students and visiting fans would help solve a lot of problems (even putting the visitors in the upper deck). The students standing all game does not bother McNeese Fans (most of us stand the whole game anyway). A few more successful seasons like last year will really elevate the game atmosphere at SM. You will start grooming "True" Cat fans and not UT wannabees. :)
I was impressed with Texas State's stadium, the hospitality I received while tailgating with the older fans and of course their football team. I was however not impressed with their student fans. There is a big difference between rabid fans that are knowledgable about football ribbing oposing fans and fans that are just drunk, obnoxious and know very little about football (like not making noise when their offense is on the field). It created a volatile situation that could have easily got out of control. In my opinion they should move the visiting fans away from the student section. If they had last year I would have nothing but good things to say about Texas State.

Blue
June 12th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Can'tamount wrote:

Game day atmosphere
1-WCU
2-ASU
3-GSU
4-Furman
5-Citadel
6-Elon
7-Wofford
8-UTC

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

xlolx

I'm with you baldy. Even a homer voting WCU best game day atmosphere is laughable. Other than a really good band and the fact that the stadium is in a pretty setting there is very little game day atmosphere. In order to have a game day atmosphere you need some fans to actually attend the game.

SMH.

WCU LawCat
June 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I would not vote WCU #1...but I would not vote GSU #1. WCU's gameday is as good if not better than anyones when the stands are full...just ask App State/Furman etc.

WCU Pros and Cons

1)great band
2)good tailgating
3)great setting
4)good consessions and stadium additions

Cons

1)sometimes we have over 12,000 in the stands (Furman, ASU, opening night etc.) but sometimes we have about 6,500.
2)no video board (yet)

GSU pros (i've been twice now)

1)good attendance
2)good tailgating (from what I hear. I was late both times)
3)video board
4)loud fans

Cons

1) Fans have no respect for visiting team. Unplesant both times I went.
2)Halftime is poor. Band is similar to what I see at a High School game. They do not march at all except for onto the feild then off the field.
3)Really hot and sticky

eagleskins
June 12th, 2006, 02:07 PM
GSU gameday experience is head and shoulder's above WCU's. Best tailgating in the country, enough said.

slostang
June 12th, 2006, 02:25 PM
GSU gameday experience is head and shoulder's above WCU's. Best tailgating in the country, enough said.
I am sure that tailgating at GSU is awesome, but Montana has to be up there with GSU. Montana has over 23,000 fans for each home game and they all show up early to tailgate. Hell over 3/4 of the stadium clears out for half time to continue tailgating.

Hopefully Cal Poly can play GSU in the future so I can compare one against the other.

Freightliner
June 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I was impressed with Texas State's stadium, the hospitality I received while tailgating with the older fans and of course their football team. I was however not impressed with their student fans. There is a big difference between rabid fans that are knowledgable about football ribbing oposing fans and fans that are just drunk, obnoxious and know very little about football (like not making noise when their offense is on the field). It created a volatile situation that could have easily got out of control. In my opinion they should move the visiting fans away from the student section. If they had last year I would have nothing but good things to say about Texas State.

I tend to agree with McNeese & Slo on Visiting Fans....keep em away from the student body. If they have to sit opposite their team...so be it. If someone complains...explain to them..."either you sit here or you sit with the student body...take your pick."

Blue
June 12th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I would not vote WCU #1...but I would not vote GSU #1. WCU's gameday is as good if not better than anyones when the stands are full...just ask App State/Furman etc.

WCU Pros and Cons

1)great band
2)good tailgating
3)great setting
4)good consessions and stadium additions

Cons

1)sometimes we have over 12,000 in the stands (Furman, ASU, opening night etc.) but sometimes we have about 6,500.
2)no video board (yet)

GSU pros (i've been twice now)

1)good attendance
2)good tailgating (from what I hear. I was late both times)
3)video board
4)loud fans

Cons

1) Fans have no respect for visiting team. Unplesant both times I went.
2)Halftime is poor. Band is similar to what I see at a High School game. They do not march at all except for onto the feild then off the field.
3)Really hot and sticky

Of all the Socon's venue's guess which one is the only one that I had vandals damage my vehicle? Western Carolina. Some of your idiot fans ripped my Georgia Southern Alumni pewter tag off of my front of my truck damaging my front bumper. On top of that my oldest daiughter had given me the tag for my birthday. I hate that some of our fans may have been rude to you but you've got your share of knuckle heads also.

I've been to Cullowhee many times for games. Not just when Georgia Southern was the opponent. A buddy of mine played football at Western in the Bob Waters years. So I'm not basing my opinion on a just a couple of visits. Over the past 20 years I've probabaly been there a dozen or so times.

There is simply no comparison between game day atmopshere at Georgia Southern and Western. I've been to every Socon Venue and Western's game day atmosphere is in no way anywhere near the best in the conference. Not even close.

In my opinion the ranking for game day atmosphere in the conference should be as follows:

1 Georgia Southern - Up there with Montana, Mcneese & Delaware.

2 App State - Always had good support at home now lets see if a NC helps the Jethro's learn how to travel.

3 Citadel - Cadets make it an interesting environment. Every IAA football fan needs to attend a game at VMI or the Sitadale.

4 Furman - Purp fans are actually begun to shed their 'golf clap' image. Nice place to spend a fall morning and see a football game.

5 Western Carolina - Medocre W/L records over the last 20 years has yielded medocre support. Nice facilities in a pretty setting. The highlight is the band. I don't travel to away games to watch the band so 'big deal'.

6 Elon - Small but nice stadium. That's it.

7 Chattanooga - One of the best stadiums in IAA but talk about a school with indifferent football fans.

8 Wofford - Awful football environment plain and simple. Piped in music to make up for the lack of a band. Low attendance despite having a competitive program.

Calif_Colonial
June 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM
1) Stonybrook University
2) Central Conn. State
3) Monmouth Universtiy
4) Wagner College
5) Robert Morris University
6) St. Francis University
7) Sacret Heart University
8) Albany Universtiy

Topper1296
June 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Well I haven't been to the other places in our conference, but I will say it. WKU's current place is not very good and most of us knows it. Just wait until our $30M plus renovation is done and then we will talk. Renovations started last month. Below is part of an article about it.

Once completed, the new Smith Stadium will be able to hold an estimated 25,000 fans.

Much speculation about a potential move to I-A football has surrounded the construction project, and while both Selig and Elson don't deny the advantage of a bigger and better Smith Stadium, they insist the project was long overdue and necessary regardless of the future status of the program.

“It certainly doesn't hurt us by any means,” Selig said. “We were going to do this regardless of affiliation at the I-AA or I-A level. It certainly helps us in recruiting and national reputation and regard because we will have arguably the best I-AA facility in the nation and one of the top 50 to 60 I-A facilities in the country.”

A more subdued Elson looked to the future and is confident the team's opportunity to succeed at any level will be greatly improved with new and improved facilities.

“I've always said we've had a lot of success with very average facilities, at best,” he said. “We have all of those things in place, and now you add a first-class facility and I just think the sky is the limit.”

LBPop
June 18th, 2006, 08:58 PM
1) Stonybrook University
2) Central Conn. State
3) Monmouth Universtiy
4) Wagner College
5) Robert Morris University
6) St. Francis University
7) Sacret Heart University
8) Albany Universtiy
I have only been to Stonybrook among this group, but I'm not surprised at your ranking them #1. It's a wonderful facility; it has a great scoreboard; and the atmosphere on game day is terrific. :thumbsup:

DFW HOYA
June 18th, 2006, 09:32 PM
LB, any thoughts as to what the PL leadership thinks about the Georgetown facility situation?

downbythebeach
June 18th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Nice to see a RMU fan

NEC though I only seen a few, I will go by pics and what I've heard
1. Stonybrook - Atleast for one more NEC year
2. Wagner - Not the greatest for football but beautifully scenic NY harbor
3. Robert Morris - Brand new last year, but a bit too small
4. Saint Francis - Brand spankin new, large amount of seating, "Pine Bowl"
5. Central Conn. - Not bad, seats are raised for good viewing
6. Monmouth - New turf, but nothing else too great.
7. SHU - Hard to rank, and would be #1 in the MAAC
8. Albany - They need a new stadium bad

Calif_Colonial
June 22nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Downbythebeach,

I believe when they finish your stadium this summer it will be # 2 behind Stonybrook. I was at last year's game at RMU when the Flash came from behind and won the game. Congrats, on a great effort by your team. I know how good your QB and tandon wideouts are. I was not surprised when I read the Sports Network WR's rankings at the Div I-AA level. I wish they were Colonials to tell you the truth. ;)

SU Jag
June 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM

The best tailgating is at SU:nod: ! They had an article around here somewhere......................I'll find it and post it.

Montana is one of the places that I must go to catch a game, Georgia Southern is on my list to. What about tailgating at App.State?

FlyYtown
June 24th, 2006, 10:15 PM
The Gateway Football Conference

1) Youngstown St. -- No Bias Here.. It's one of the best in all I-AA.
2) WKI -- The new addition will make a great run at YSU.
3) UNI -- It's Loud, not much to say lol.
4) Missouri State
5) Ill. State
6) W. Illinois
7) Southern Illinois
8) Indiana State

DuckDuckGriz
June 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Big Sky

1. Montana (the proven best in I-AA...sorry FlyTown)
2. Weber State (since this is about stadiums not atmosphere)
3. Montana State
4. Portland State (PGE Park is more of a baseball venue but still a nice place to watch a game with the PDX skyline in the background)
5. Idaho State (not a great facility but is known to be extremely hostile when full)
6. Northern Arizona
7. Eastern Washington

ucdtim17
June 25th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Big Sky

1. Montana (the proven best in I-AA...sorry FlyTown)
2. Weber State (since this is about stadiums not atmosphere)
3. Montana State
4. Portland State (PGE Park is more of a baseball venue but still a nice place to watch a game with the PDX skyline in the background)
5. Idaho State (not a great facility but is known to be extremely hostile when full)
6. Northern Arizona
7. Eastern Washington

Sac at 8?

gophoenix
June 26th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'd say facilities:
GSU - nice setup, nice concessions, nice field, easy access and entrance
UTC - great field, great setup, parking is okay, easy access and entrance
WCU - great looking field, beautiful scenery, parking is plentiful
Elon - sure its smaller, but the field is nice, its great looking, not a bad seat anywhere, but the small entrance is a pain for large games, lots of concessions
Furman - older, but it works, the home side is nice, bathrooms and concessions are older
Wofford - The stadium is nice, the field is pretty good, easy in and out, but drab looking.
The Citadel - Old, parking can be in a sketchy area, did I mention old?
App - not enough concessions or parking closeby, field is nice now, during a large crowd there's not enough room for away fans in one location, the scoreboard rocks though

Atmosphere:
App - One of the best college atmospheres I've been to in I-AA whether I am there pulling for Elon or with my App friends pulling for App. The band is great.
GSU - The crowds are awesome if you're a GSU fan, the crowds are obnoxious if you're an away fan. Away seating is next to the student section, so I have been pelted with ice and had drinks thrown my way
Furman - The crowds are good most of the time and the fans are very polite.
The Citadel - Good crowds, but they really aren't as loud as you'd think they'd be
Western - Crowds are like most places, the older ones barely cheer but the student section is relatively loud when the show up in numbers
Elon - A good core of studcents show up, but losing seasons tend to dwindle numbers later in the season
Wofford - Crowds are relatively quiet
UTC - The place has been dead for the 7 games I've seen there (not just when they played Elon)

WUTNDITWAA
June 26th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I'd say facilities:
GSU - nice setup, nice concessions, nice field, easy access and entrance
UTC - great field, great setup, parking is okay, easy access and entrance
WCU - great looking field, beautiful scenery, parking is plentiful
Elon - sure its smaller, but the field is nice, its great looking, not a bad seat anywhere, but the small entrance is a pain for large games, lots of concessions
Furman - older, but it works, the home side is nice, bathrooms and concessions are older
Wofford - The stadium is nice, the field is pretty good, easy in and out, but drab looking.
The Citadel - Old, parking can be in a sketchy area, did I mention old?
App - not enough concessions or parking closeby, field is nice now, during a large crowd there's not enough room for away fans in one location, the scoreboard rocks though

Atmosphere:
App - One of the best college atmospheres I've been to in I-AA whether I am there pulling for Elon or with my App friends pulling for App. The band is great.
GSU - The crowds are awesome if you're a GSU fan, the crowds are obnoxious if you're an away fan. Away seating is next to the student section, so I have been pelted with ice and had drinks thrown my way
Furman - The crowds are good most of the time and the fans are very polite.
The Citadel - Good crowds, but they really aren't as loud as you'd think they'd be
Western - Crowds are like most places, the older ones barely cheer but the student section is relatively loud when the show up in numbers
Elon - A good core of studcents show up, but losing seasons tend to dwindle numbers later in the season
Wofford - Crowds are relatively quiet
UTC - The place has been dead for the 7 games I've seen there (not just when they played Elon)

For the most part...what he said.

Except, in ASU's defense, most bigger-time programs don't allow their guests to sit together in one section. Otherwise that's a spot-on post from an Elon guy.

skinny_uncle
June 26th, 2006, 09:03 PM
The Gateway Football Conference

1) Youngstown St. -- No Bias Here.. It's one of the best in all I-AA.
2) WKI -- The new addition will make a great run at YSU.
3) UNI -- It's Loud, not much to say lol.
4) Missouri State
5) Ill. State
6) W. Illinois
7) Southern Illinois
8) Indiana State
Wow! The Sycamore's stadium is worse than ours? I feel sorry for them. MacAndrew is a rustbucket which is slated for replacement in the next few years.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/silu/graphics/auto/McAndrewStadium.jpg

http://www.siuc.edu/future/salukiWay/stadium.jpg

gophoenix
June 26th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Except, in ASU's defense, most bigger-time programs don't allow their guests to sit together in one section. Otherwise that's a spot-on post from an Elon guy.

I may get into with you guys often on your board, but that doesn't mean I don't respect your programs and what you've got going up in Boone. Just like you guys don't like being talked down to by some schools, we don't either.

SoCon48
June 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM
gophoenix said: App - not enough concessions or parking closeby, field is nice now, during a large crowd there's not enough room for away fans in one location, the scoreboard rocks though

1. Concessions on "home" side are fine until crowd exceeds stadium capacity. Never have seen Woodlands run out of bar-b-que but they need more servers at half-time.. Go between quarters instead of half-time..no prob.
2. Parking isn't going to change. Nowhere to build significantly more parking areas for 20K crowd plus the 14K students.
3. Away fans are initially allotted plenty of sections. After a few weeks, they're opened up for anyone to buy. Not a good place for visitors to rely on walk-up purchasing.

This year is homecoming. Word to the wise: Elon fans should order tickets in advance or their spot could disappear.
The WCU game had a record setting crowd yet all the purple and gold was together(and there was a huge number of WCU fans in attendance). It looked like the largest visiting crowd in KBS's history.
Really felt sorry for them regarding rest room facilities. The smart ones made the trek over to the opposite stands' rest rooms.
Cut the crowd to that of some of the SoCon brethren and the problems disappear. Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon.

Jag4Life
June 28th, 2006, 05:14 PM
:eek: Jackson State at No. 5 behind Alabama State. :eyebrow:

1. Jackson State -- Seats about 62,000. Renovated. A great place to watch a game, especially a matchup with Southern. There is no way it ranks lower than Alabama State.

2. Southern -- Seats about 35,000. A great game-time atmosphere. Great tailgating. Only negative is it really isn't big enough to host a Jackson State-Southern game.

3. Alabama A&M -- Seats about 22,000. Very nice on-campus stadium. Only problem is A&M draws nobody to it.

The Rest<
4. Alcorn State
5. Grambling State
6. Mississippi Valley
7. Alabama State -- The Crampton Bowl is widely regarded as now being functionally obsolete, according to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I have to agree with the encyclopedia.

The Never to<
Ark-Pine Bluff, Texas Southern and Prairie View.
Does JSU have their own stadium? I would have put JSU last because they don't have their own stadium! I did that for a reason!

SU Jag
June 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Does JSU have their own stadium? I would have put JSU last because they don't have their own stadium! I did that for a reason!

Alabama A&Ms stadium is very nice but outside of Southern, Jackson State, or another in-state school they draw noone to it. Its amazing that they have so much fan support for some games but during other games they might barely get 10,000.: smh : Sad: smh :

Mr. Tiger
June 29th, 2006, 07:58 AM

No. JSU doesn't have an on-campus stadium. That may change in the near future. :nod: But Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium's only regular tenet is Jackson State University. JSU doesn't share the state-run facility with anyone. And Alabama State plays in the Crampton Bowl, which is not owned by ASU, and you have them rated ahead of Jackson State.

Jag4Life
June 29th, 2006, 06:44 PM
No. JSU doesn't have an on-campus stadium. That may change in the near future. :nod: But Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium's only regular tenet is Jackson State University. JSU doesn't share the state-run facility with anyone. And Alabama State plays in the Crampton Bowl, which is not owned by ASU, and you have them rated ahead of Jackson State.

Yes! Get your own stadium then I will rank yall ahead!

art vandelay
June 29th, 2006, 08:37 PM
rhode Island is getting a nice new stadium. or a least they are getting a set of bleachers put on the west side of their field and it should look pretty nice for them.
http://gorhody.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061206aab.html?pic=1
i figured someone had to sand up for rhody since there arnt a lot of rhody fans on this site.

Lionsrking
June 29th, 2006, 11:08 PM
As far as the Southland goes, if you're talking strictly about size of stadium, press box, playing surface, etc., I would rank them this way:

1. Stephen F. Austin
2. McNeese
3. Northwestern St.
4. Texas State
5. Sam Houston
6. Nicholls State
7. Southeastern Louisiana

If I'm ranking them based the best place to watch a game:

1. Southeastern Louisiana
2. McNeese
3. Nicholls
4. Northwestern
5. Stephen F. Austin
6. Sam Houston
7. Texas State

GeauxColonels
June 30th, 2006, 09:03 AM
As far as the Southland goes, if you're talking strictly about size of stadium, press box, playing surface, etc., I would rank them this way:

1. Stephen F. Austin
2. McNeese
3. Northwestern St.
4. Texas State
5. Sam Houston
6. Nicholls State
I really find it hard to agree with the ranking of SFA at the top based on your criteria. I would have to say that Northwestern, Texas St. and McNeese should all be ahead of SFA. True McNeese doesn't have an artificial field like the others, but the rest of the facility more than makes up for that.

jstate83
June 30th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Yes! Get your own stadium then I will rank yall ahead!

Don't matter............................We the only one's that don't have to move games.:D

This matter is dead in the SWAC as far as who has #1.:D
The CRAMPTON BOWL is probable one of the worst...................unless they have done MAJOR renovation on that place.

Lionsrking
June 30th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I really find it hard to agree with the ranking of SFA at the top based on your criteria. I would have to say that Northwestern, Texas St. and McNeese should all be ahead of SFA. True McNeese doesn't have an artificial field like the others, but the rest of the facility more than makes up for that.

First of all it's my opinion, secondly, if you've ever been in SFA's renovated press box I think you would understand why I ranked them that way based on the particular criteria set forth.

RadMann
June 30th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I think that is the first time I've heard someone rank a stadium higher than another because it has artificial turf. In my book a grass field beats artificial turf any day.

Jag4Life
June 30th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Don't matter............................We the only one's that don't have to move games.:D

This matter is dead in the SWAC as far as who has #1.:D
The CRAMPTON BOWL is probable one of the worst...................unless they have done MAJOR renovation on that place.
It does matter. You must be talking about us having to move our game against yall to New Orleans. It don't matter. We can play the game at Mumford every year. It wouldn't make me no difference!

Lionsrking
June 30th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I think that is the first time I've heard someone rank a stadium higher than another because it has artificial turf. In my book a grass field beats artificial turf any day.

I used to feel that way before the new stuff was invented. I prefer the turf now, especially in the gulf south when it rains a lot in late summer, early fall. There's no way our field would last if we had to play on real grass.

GeauxColonels
June 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM
First of all it's my opinion, secondly, if you've ever been in SFA's renovated press box I think you would understand why I ranked them that way based on the particular criteria set forth.
First of all, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Secondly, I KNOW it's your opinion. I was just stating MY OPINION that I couldn't agree with your opinion. The VAST MAJORITY of fans don't watch the games from the press box. Plus, that's just one part of the stadium. IN MY OPINION, I don't think that SFA's stadium is nearly as nice as McNeese State's stadium OR Northwestern State's.

blackfordpu
June 30th, 2006, 10:06 PM

1. Stephen F. Austin
2. McNeese
3. Northwestern St.
4. Texas State
5. Sam Houston
6. Nicholls State

If I'm ranking them based the best place to watch a game:

1. Southeastern Louisiana
2. McNeese
3. Nicholls
4. Northwestern
5. Stephen F. Austin
6. Sam Houston
7. Texas State

Just curious as to why you have SHSU so low? Texas State as well, both are great places to watch games.

Especially with Sam's new scoreboard! :nod:

Lionsrking
June 30th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Just curious as to why you have SHSU so low? Texas State as well, both are great places to watch games.

I think all of the stadiums in the Southland are quality places to watch games but if forced to rank them 1 thru 7 using that as the primary criteria, I tend to favor venues that have stands closer to the playing field and I take into account the overall atmosphere.

Lionsrking
June 30th, 2006, 11:05 PM
First of all, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Secondly, I KNOW it's your opinion. I was just stating MY OPINION that I couldn't agree with your opinion. The VAST MAJORITY of fans don't watch the games from the press box. Plus, that's just one part of the stadium. IN MY OPINION, I don't think that SFA's stadium is nearly as nice as McNeese State's stadium OR Northwestern State's.

First of all, I don't wear panties...secondly, I know most folks don't watch games from the press box. That's why I have SFA rated much lower in that category. But in terms of the bells and whistles, the Lumberjacks have the nicest setup in my opinion. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

McTailGator
July 1st, 2006, 08:37 AM

If you got a track in the way, you should lose points...

:twocents:

kats89
July 1st, 2006, 09:25 AM
If you got a track in the way, you should lose points...

:twocents:

Track or no track around field, it doesn't really matter if you are winning.xcoffeex

I will say this, SHSU is due for new field turf after this season. I think we will be putting the Spinturf in Bowers. Once we get that installed, Bowers stadium will be one of the top notch facilities in the conference. In the last 5 years to present, renovations include.....

*6 suites added to home side of stadium
*Press box upgraded
*New scoreboard with video
*New Goalposts
*Locker rooms are being remodled now
*New strength and conditioning building

and

New Turf scheduled for after 2006 season.

I would not call NW St or SFA stadiums top notch facilities.

blackfordpu
July 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM
Track or no track around field, it doesn't really matter if you are winning.xcoffeex

I will say this, SHSU is due for new field turf after this season. I think we will be putting the Spinturf in Bowers. Once we get that installed, Bowers stadium will be one of the top notch facilities in the conference. In the last 5 years to present, renovations include.....

*Press box upgraded
*New Goalposts

and

Can't speak on NW St but SFA needs some help.

McTailGator
July 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM

*Press box upgraded
*New Goalposts

and

McNeese will more than likely but in Sprint Turf once the construction of the new field house has been completed. A booster has offered to pay for the materials, if someone else can come up with the construction cost, which will not bee cheap due to the fact we have a groundwater infiltration issue in places.

But I think we'll have the extra capital to fund the labor costs for it in 2008.

yosefcity
July 1st, 2006, 09:46 PM
Oops

JBB
July 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Best hot dog is at Coughlin Stadium in Brookings, South Dakota. Home of the Jack Rabbits of SDSU.

Great stadium. Besides The Fabulous Fargo Dome its the only GWFC stadium Ive been to, so its my favorite outdoor stadium in the GWFC. Its a great stadium with a nice tailgate.

Its true the visitors side has some old wood bleachers, but I always walk the sideline wire. They actually let you do that! Its great. Your 20 feet from the action and moving with the ball. You can stand side by side with BISON players.

There were satellite bathrooms on the visitors side and big bathrooms in the concession area.

You could leave and come back!!!

whoanellie
July 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
Facilities:
1-UTC
2-WCU
3-Furman
4-Ga.Southern
5-App.State
6-Wofford
7-Elon
8-Citadel (until I see the improvements)

Game day atmosphere
1-WCU
2-ASU
3-GSU
4-Furman
5-Citadel
6-Elon
7-Wofford
8-UTC

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

the turf at Elon is real it's awesome and has to taken into account but this a total BS subject it's all about "homer-time" :hurray: