PDA

View Full Version : Black Coaches Assoc to Alter Name

TexasTerror
June 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM
As my buddy Jafus would say, "INTERESTING..."

Latest stats according to the article BTW, "There are five black head football coaches out of 119 Division I-A schools. In Division I-AA, excluding historically black schools, there are four out of 103, including Indiana State's Lou West and Valparaiso's Stacy Adams."
-------------
Organization alters name, not mission
BCA tries to gain power by embracing other minorities and attracting administrators
By Mark Alesia
[email protected]

Membership in the Black Coaches Association could more than double with the decision to change its name to include other minorities and athletic administrators, executive director Floyd Keith said Friday.

The BCA announced two options for its new name Thursday at its convention in Miami: Diverse Coaches and Administrators (DCA) or the Diverse Coaches and Administrators Association (DCAA).

Members of the Indianapolis-based BCA have until the end of the month to suggest other ideas, and the association's board of directors will choose the name soon after.

But Keith said there definitely would be a change.

"Many groups, people of color, have similar issues," Keith said. "We're going to embrace that.

"We're going to expand so we can take our membership level to new heights. It will strengthen our causes and support in a lot of ways."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060603/SPORTS/606030465

Retro
June 3rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
I'd really llike to see them dissolve this organization altogether and just unite with the other college football coaches associations, many of whom are already members. While there still is a low number of Black colleges in Div I, i think they could make more progress as part one united coaches associaton, regardless of color..

MarkCCU
June 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
I'd really llike to see them dissolve this organization altogether and just unite with the other college football coaches associations, many of whom are already members. While there still is a low number of Black colleges in Div I, i think they could make more progress as part one united coaches associaton, regardless of color..

I agree, why seperate yourself? Be one with other coaches, what could it hurt

UAalum72
June 3rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
I agree, why seperate yourself? Be one with other coaches, what could it hurtI'd assume they're already members of the American Football Coaches Association, the question is how much good has that done so far? If by the second half of the first decade of the 21st century there are still only nine minorities of 222 HCs, they've still got to organize their peer group.

Golden Eagle
June 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
They need an association to get more white coaches in at HBCUs.

UAalum72
June 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Who's trying to get in there? I'd think the big coaching money is in the non-HBCUs.

gram4life
June 4th, 2006, 01:17 PM

why?

3rd Coast Tiger
June 4th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Beyond sad. : smh :

Golden Eagle
June 4th, 2006, 08:36 PM
why?

Why not? They could point to the abysmally low percentage of white coaches at HBCUs, and lament it, and call on them to be more diversity minded.

gram4life
June 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Why not? They could point to the abysmally low percentage of white coaches at HBCUs, and lament it, and call on them to be more diversity minded.

How do you know it is abysmally low, base on what %, facts please. Also you know you are comparing apples and oranges.

SoCon48
June 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Or the percentage of white players starting in the NBA or college basketball..

gram4life
June 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM

Are you suggesting that the percentage of black coaches at PWC is based on talent level? Because I'm pretty sure the NBA hires the best Basketball players?

3rd Coast Tiger
June 4th, 2006, 10:58 PM

Or the percentage of black players starting in the MLB or college baseball..

June 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Folks, this is about coaches and the lack of diversity... it obviously is not based on talent because there are coaches of great talent no matter the color... problem is the schools are hiring mostly one color and the NCAA has targeted this as well.

AppGuy04
June 4th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Or the percentage of black players starting in the MLB or college baseball..

haven't watched any MLB games lately have you?

3rd Coast Tiger
June 4th, 2006, 11:37 PM
haven't watched any MLB games lately have you?

Matter of fact, I watched the Astros v. Reds game today.
Watch at least two games a week.
Been to at least 8 Astros games this season.

I see you don't know the % of Blacks in the MLB do you?

SoCon48
June 4th, 2006, 11:50 PM
The NBA is a business. It could be assumed the owners would hire the the coaches they think can win, or else they would hire/draft players based on race also.
Same goes for college sports, why would schools select players of various races and not coaches? If the coaching ranks lacks diversity, why do rosters not lack diversity?
Seems like a contrived issue to me.

I would love to know how many head coaches are white among HBCU's? %wise.

June 4th, 2006, 11:59 PM
...If the coaching ranks lacks diversity, why do rosters not lack diversity? ... I would love to know how many head coaches are white among HBCU's? %wise.Um, HBCUs are classified as such because it is the mission of the school. Rosters are made up of students. No school recruits all one color but schools seem to hire one color of head coach... the problem isn't up for debate, it is openly recognized.

SU Jag
June 5th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Not many, but the reason the many students go to HBCUs is because of the chance to see blacks in the power positions at the University, something that is not seen at other schools on a large scale. With the lack of black coaches at non-HBCUs most HBCUs try hard to give black coaches a chance.Remember Kentucky picked a proven looser a few years back over Doug Williama, a proven winner! That was the worse BS that I've ever seen in my life! It has only been 2 years since the first black coach was hired in the SEC. Many black coaches never get the chance to be head coaches at other schools except HBCUs.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 5th, 2006, 12:07 AM
I would love to know how many head coaches are white among HBCU's? %wise.

Roughly the same as the percentage of head coaches that are black amongst non-HBCU Div I-AA teams and all I-A teams.

Tribe4SF
June 5th, 2006, 12:15 AM
The NBA is a business. It could be assumed the owners would hire the the coaches they think can win, or else they would hire/draft players based on race also.
Same goes for college sports, why would schools select players of various races and not coaches? If the coaching ranks lacks diversity, why do rosters not lack diversity?
Seems like a contrived issue to me.

Wake up and smell the coffee! If you don't see the problem, it's because you're not willing, or able, to look.

Here's one possible reason. How will wealthy white boosters at the University of Alabama relate to a "diverse" head coach?

The only thing that's contrived, are the reasons not to hire qualified black coaches.

SU Jag
June 5th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Wake up and smell the coffee! If you don't see the problem, it's because you're not willing, or able, to look.

Here's one possible reason. How will wealthy white boosters at the University of Alabama relate to a "diverse" head coach?

The only thing that's contrived, are the reasons not to hire qualified black coaches.

Good point!:nod:

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 12:34 AM

I'm Black,

SU Jag
June 5th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I'm Black,

And..........................................xcoff eex

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 12:36 AM

How will wealthy white boosters at the University of Alabama relate to a "diverse" head coach

How will wealthy black boosters react to a white head coach at Bethune-Cookman, Cheyney, Alabama State, FAMU, etc etc?

SU Jag
June 5th, 2006, 12:37 AM
How will wealthy white boosters at the University of Alabama relate to a "diverse" head coach

How will wealth black boosters react to a white head coach at Bethune-Cookman, Cheyney, Alabama State, FAMU, etc etc?

You say you're black...............use your common sense!

3rd Coast Tiger
June 5th, 2006, 12:38 AM
How will wealthy white boosters at the University of Alabama relate to a "diverse" head coach?

That's my whole stance on the matter.

June 5th, 2006, 12:47 AM
How will wealthy black boosters react to a white head coach at Bethune-Cookman, Cheyney, Alabama State, FAMU, etc etc?Can't compare HBCUs to other schools. It's a different thing altogether.

SU Jag
June 5th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Can't compare HBCUs to other schools. It's a different thing altogether.

I agree Ralph!:nod:

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 01:01 AM
You say you're black...............use your common sense!

You're right. Wealthy black boosters would pitch a fit.

SoCon48
June 5th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Can't compare HBCUs to other schools. It's a different thing altogether.

Why? Why should they be different?

June 5th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Why? Why should they be different?I'm trying to be patient but I have said it already quite a few times.

SU Jag
June 5th, 2006, 01:12 AM
You're right. Wealthy black boosters would pitch a fit.

The question is, how many white coaches apply for job at HBCUs!