PDA

View Full Version : App to C-USA?

Pages : [1] 2

Apphole
January 22nd, 2012, 05:09 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/southeast/post?id=2448&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblo g%2fncfrecruiting%2fsoutheast%2fpost%3fid%3d2448

Wide receiver Malachi Jones (Lawrenceville, Ga./Central Gwinnett) put up some monster numbers as a senior and grabbed the attention of a few schools. One was Appalachian State, which he visited this weekend.

"He committed to Appalachian State this morning," said Todd Wofford, Central Gwinnett's coach. "They are moving to Conference USA in two seasons, and he wanted to be a part of that. He loves their facilities, the guys on the team and the stadium. He likes how they spread the ball out and says he can come in a make an immediate impact."

eaglewraith
January 22nd, 2012, 05:15 PM
hmm

clenz
January 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Did a HS coach just blow the whistle on App? Holy ****.

Apphole
January 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
I'm still not sure about this. It could be just hearsay from players ect. After all, this is just some highschool coach. The fact that the quote made it to ESPN speaks volumes though.

DetroitFlyer
January 22nd, 2012, 05:50 PM
Of course coaches never stretch the truth to land a prized recruit....

UNH Fanboi
January 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Nova was telling recruits they're moving to the Big East.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Apphole
January 22nd, 2012, 06:01 PM

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Not saying this is a done deal, but ESPN never put those claims in writing

Cocky
January 22nd, 2012, 07:25 PM
I heard a rumor one time that a coach lied to prospective student athlete.

Apphole
January 22nd, 2012, 08:09 PM
I heard a rumor one time that a coach lied to prospective student athlete.

Regardless, I believe we will beat Jackoffville State to D1

Cocky
January 22nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
You already have
App was DI before JSU

I wasnt singling out App just there a few coaches that lie during the recruiting process. Recruits have been known to lie too.

DFW HOYA
January 22nd, 2012, 09:47 PM

The only shred of this rumor would be that C-USA will reject the alliance with the MWC and backfill UCF, SMU, and Houston, but there's no sense that the option is off the table.

Mr. C
January 22nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Regardless, I believe we will beat Jackoffville State to D1

This whole thread is pretty ridiculous. App State has been Division I in ALL sports since the 1970s. FCS is DIVISION I. Just because a coach makes a dumb comment doesn't mean he knows something. If there was ANY REAL NEWS regarding App State's status, you wouldn't be finding it out through a high school coach.

T-Dog
January 22nd, 2012, 11:12 PM
It's very possible that the coach that told him this is now at Western.

Smitty
January 23rd, 2012, 07:34 AM
I find that ESPN while mostly reliable, drops the ball on occasion. Mostly dealing with my fantasy players that were suppose to be out during the game... Anyway I doubt that App coaches would drop the ball and mention moving up to recruits yet so I find this story hard to believe right now.

asumike83
January 23rd, 2012, 08:35 AM
I think the most likely scenario is that the recruit/coach were told about the feasibility study and the future goal of going FBS/C-USA, then the coach opened his mouth without thinking.

I find it very hard to believe that there is any deal in place that we do not know about or that the recruits are being misled.

ThompsonThe
January 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Probably just a high school coach that read something about it on a message board.
Besides, why would we go to C-USA when everyone knows that App State is going into the SEC?

PaladinFan
January 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Isn't C-USA falling apart or combining with the WAC or something?

asumike83
January 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Isn't C-USA falling apart or combining with the WAC or something?

I'm not sure if it has all been sorted out yet. One possibility I've heard recently is that both conferences will dissolve and then re-form so they can negotiate a more lucrative TV deal. That option would likely include taking on new teams and we could have an outside chance (although still very slim, IMO). If it is strictly a merger, I see almost zero chance that ASU would ever get an invite.

I could be wrong, but am still of the opinion that our path to FBS is 2-3 years down the road and will likely be a regional conference with other FCS schools looking to make the move or a vastly different looking Sun Belt including some of those same transitional programs.

whoanellie
January 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Just seems like a statement which may or may not be a missrepresentation of the school's status:
actually from the parroted quote: I hope this coach knows something I don't know.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/southeast/post?id=2448&action=login&appRedirect=http%3A%2F%2Finsider.espn.go.com%2Fblo g%2Fncfrecruiting%2Fsoutheast%2Fpost%3Fid%3D2448

WR Jones commits to App State

By Jamie Newberg
Wide receiver Malachi Jones (Lawrenceville, Ga./Central Gwinnett) put up some monster numbers as a senior and grabbed the attention of a few schools. One was Appalachian State, which he visited this weekend.

"He committed to Appalachian State this morning," said Todd Wofford, Central Gwinnett's coach. "They are moving to Conference USA in two seasons, and he wanted to be a part of that. He loves their facilities, the guys on the team and the stadium. He likes how they spread the ball out and says he can come in a make an immediate impact."

This kid is not going to Georgia, Ga. Tech, or Clemson. If he makes it through in 4 years he could have a degree. It could be even in computer art.
His coach in high school I'm wondering if he is on commission to get a bonus when his players sign w/ BCS schools? jut a thought.

Cocky
January 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Why does Newberg even print the quote? No one wins in a situation where the writer quote an oblivious untrue or unable to confirm statement.

My thought are any school with a larger or updated stadium want to give the impression of moving up or plans to. Everyone knows the list of schools.

pike51
January 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Big deal! Chattanooga is moving to the SEC!

asumike83
January 23rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Why does Newberg even print the quote? No one wins in a situation where the writer quote an oblivious untrue or unable to confirm statement.

My thought are any school with a larger or updated stadium want to give the impression of moving up or plans to. Everyone knows the list of schools.

Exactly. I don't expect any high school player or coach to be in the know about the NCAA conference situation. I would, however, expect an ESPN writer to be knowledgeable enough to know what to print.

darell1976
January 23rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Probably just a high school coach that read something about it on a message board.
Besides, why would we go to C-USA when everyone knows that App State is going into the SEC?

I thought NDSU was going to the SEC? xlolx

Twentysix
January 23rd, 2012, 05:09 PM
I thought NDSU was going to the SEC? xlolx

Nope, we are forming a new conference with Notre Dame.

Were gonna call it the National Collegiate Football Conference.

darell1976
January 23rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Nope, we are forming a new conference with Notre Dame.

Were gonna call it the National Collegiate Football Conference.

Sorry you don't have enough National titles for that. I heard 7 is a lucky number to start a conference.

Twentysix
January 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Seven? We have nine. In just that sport.

darell1976
January 23rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
Seven? We have nine. In just that sport.

But not in DI;)

Apphole
January 23rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
This is no place for a might-as-well-be-Canadian pissing match.

Cleets
January 23rd, 2012, 07:45 PM
This is no place for a might-as-well-be-Canadian pissing match.

This is the perfect place for a pissing match... It's teh Internets - where else do pissing matches belong..?
and If App goes to the SEC do they go ahead and get a real football stadium, or stick with the old track field pole vaulting thing they've got now..?

Just wondering..?

:D

MplsBison
January 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
The only shred of this rumor would be that C-USA will reject the alliance with the MWC and backfill UCF, SMU, and Houston, but there's no sense that the option is off the table.

Which makes sense, because BCS auto-bids are dead. Done deal, stick a fork in em.

So then why send teams from the southeast all the way to the west coast for no chance at the big money bowls?

MplsBison
January 23rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
This whole thread is pretty ridiculous. App State has been Division I in ALL sports since the 1970s. FCS is DIVISION I. Just because a coach makes a dumb comment doesn't mean he knows something. If there was ANY REAL NEWS regarding App State's status, you wouldn't be finding it out through a high school coach.

Then again, 99% of college football fans, when you include casual fans, assume that only the top division of teams corresponds to "Division I" - like it does in basketball.

The bowl teams are undoubtedly that top division.

I'll leave it to you to make the last connection.

Apphole
January 23rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
This is the perfect place for a pissing match... It's teh Internets - where else do pissing matches belong..?
and If App goes to the SEC do they go ahead and get a real football stadium, or stick with the old track field pole vaulting thing they've got now..?

Just wondering..?

I'm fine with a pissing match, just not a North Dakota pissing match in an App State thread. As far as you comments regarding the biggest, most state-of-the art facility in the FCS, we will be losing the track soon enough.

citdog
January 23rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
which is more popular on AGS???????? An Appy thread about moving up or a good 'Ol "The South was RIGHT" thread?

AshevilleApp2
January 24th, 2012, 07:09 AM
which is more popular on AGS???????? An Appy thread about moving up or a good 'Ol "The South was RIGHT" thread?

Apparently App moving up. Nobody around here cares about the South anymore. :D

McNultey
January 24th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I don't know why everyone finds this so hard to believe. Appalachian has made it public record that they are moving up. The obvious 3 conference options for them are the Sunbelt, the MAC, and C-USA, in that order.

Ga Southern is about to be very lonely and extremely out of place in that small private school conference.
Does GSU have a plan? That would be a more interesting question in my opinion.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I don't know why everyone finds this so hard to believe. Appalachian has made it public record that they are moving up. The obvious 3 conference options for them are the Sunbelt, the MAC, and C-USA, in that order.

Ga Southern is about to be very lonely and extremely out of place in that small private school conference.

There it is again. It's funny as hell how you've all talked yourself into that "small private school" thing and actually think it means something.

I guess you don't see how silly it looks. Good argument people. Jesus Christ what is with the automaton impersonations?

fc97
January 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM

losing appalachian doesnt make it any more small or private overall

the public schools still outnumber the private schools

why are the georgia southern and appalachian fans so conerned with size and whether a school is public or private

ursus arctos horribilis
January 24th, 2012, 04:33 PM

why are the georgia southern and appalachian fans so conerned with size and whether a school is public or private

It's particularly funny since they needed a couple of those schools backing to even gain admission to where they are now but now want to put up the "we're all that" ****.

It's a really dumb argument that some have put forth with the weakest of excuses as to why it matters and it somehow lit fire among the fanbase. Don't even ask cuz it will damage you to know the thinking behind it.

Eaglesrus
January 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Why is it that two GSU fans (now three) have commented in this thread, none saying anything about what you attribute to us, but you have to throw us into your comment?

Apphole
January 24th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I want to be in a conference with like minded institutions. That doesn't necessarily mean with less private schools, but I would like it if more than one other school in the conference had a decent amount of fans. That's why there is no viable option in the FCS for us. Other huge reasons for the move include more money, bigger stages and FBS out of conference home games. In the FBS, the regular season games ARE the playoff.

And good luck with these guys McNulty. This is far from an objective place to talk about the pros and cons of a move up.

McNultey
January 24th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Why does a grizzly fan care so much what a gsu fan thinks of the SoCon? Weird.
Even somebody dumb enough to live in Montana can see that if app state leaves, then gsu is like a bull in a China shop in the Socon.
Mind your own businesses, you ******y *** loser.

McNultey
January 24th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I want to be in a conference with like minded institutions. That doesn't necessarily mean with less private schools, but I would like it if more than one other school in the conference had a decent amount of fans. That's why there is no viable option in the FCS for us. Other huge reasons for the move include more money, bigger stages and FBS out of conference home games. In the FBS, the regular season games ARE the playoff.

And good luck with these guys McNulty. This is far from an objective place to talk about the pros and cons of a move up.
no worries. I'm well aware this is a place for circle jerks and guys who pay for pussy. These fools will never get it. God luck to app.

asumike83
January 24th, 2012, 05:44 PM
It's particularly funny since they needed a couple of those schools backing to even gain admission to where they are now but now want to put up the "we're all that" ****.

It's a really dumb argument that some have put forth with the weakest of excuses as to why it matters and it somehow lit fire among the fanbase. Don't even ask cuz it will damage you to know the thinking behind it.

I fully understand our history in the conference and that the SoCon's profile in 1-AA/FCS football was a major factor in getting our football program to where it is today. I don't think App is better than any of the other schools in the conference, just different. ASU is expanding the stadium, pouring money into our facilities and amping up the fund-raising in an effort to grow our football program and fan base. It does not seem out of line for ASU fans to want to be aligned with schools who do the same, private or public.

Liberty, for example, is a private school that is very much like-minded and due to that fact and the geographical proximity, would be a great conference mate. I think C-USA is a long shot and any conference move or conference creation could be a long way down the road but from a fan's standpoint, I would like to see a move eventually. In looking at the last five schools who have joined the SoCon (Wofford, Elon, College of Charleston, UNC Greensboro, Samford), there seems to be a pretty stark contrast in the goals of their athletic departments and ours. Not better and not worse but different. I certainly have a sentimental attachment to the SoCon and our long-standing rivalries with Furman, Western, GSU, etc. but from a business standpoint (we all know college football is a business), it makes sense to seek out schools with similar goals.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 24th, 2012, 05:52 PM

Not really Apphole, you just don't like the questions with the rosy view of the FBS and the fact that you've only recently had crowds above 12K to 15K on a regular basis and the thinking that it is something that can be absolutely banked on.

You were, a very short time ago in the same fan situation as those you look down your nose upon. That's the thing that don't seem to want to admit.

McNultey
January 24th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Why the ***** would anybody from appy have to "admit" anything. They should apologize for their succ"ess? When you outgrow your conference, its time to move on. It's not a slight at citadel or wofford to say that asu and gsu have out grown the Socon, *****stick.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 24th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Why does a grizzly fan care so much what a gsu fan thinks of the SoCon? Weird.
Even somebody dumb enough to live in Montana can see that if app state leaves, then gsu is like a bull in a China shop in the Socon.
Mind your own businesses, you ******y *** loser.

Shut your mouth *****, I'll talk about any subject I feel like, got it?

McNultey
January 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Suck my hog, fagggot.

eaglewraith
January 24th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Suck my hog, fagggot.

You really need to confront these latent homosexual tendencies you have.

It's really ok....we'll accept you no matter which way you swing.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Suck my hog, fagggot.

Opie! Good to see ya back! Hope you're all healed up.xthumbsupx

Remember though, you start threatening, you're done.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM

It's really ok....we'll accept you no matter which way you swing.

latent?

McNultey
January 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM

It's really ok....we'll accept you no matter which way you swing.wraith is asexual. That's what happens to a man who hasn't seen his own penis in 10 years. Wraith got labeled by Southwest as "too fat to fly".
Enjoy your early onset diabetes, you human piece of lard.

McNultey
January 24th, 2012, 06:20 PM
latent?I'd probably two hole you daily,............. if we shared a prison cell. You like jelly or syrup, pin cushion?

eaglewraith
January 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
wraith is asexual. That's what happens to a man who hasn't seen his own penis in 10 years. Wraith got labeled by Southwest as "too fat to fly".
Enjoy your early onset diabetes, you human piece of lard.

Seriously...way obsessed with penis.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Got it, you are asking for access to only the smack board and the lounge again correct McOpie?

I know this won't work but I'm gonna try anyway.

Don't take everything so seriously, have some harmless friendly banter and so forth on the Discussion board.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 24th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'd probably two hole you daily,............. if we shared a prison cell. You like jelly or syrup, pin cushion?

There ain't no probably about it. I'm a sexy SOB.

McNultey
January 24th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Seriously...way obsessed with penis.I heard your nickname around town is Fat Sandusky.

eaglewraith
January 24th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I heard your nickname around town is Fat Sandusky.

So penis and now little boys...interesting.

How far down the rabbit hole does this go exactly?

McNultey
January 24th, 2012, 06:47 PM
So penis and now little boys...interesting.

How far down the rabbit hole does this go exactly?
Rabbit hole. Is that what you call it when you're grooming victims, wraith? Sick.

whoanellie
January 24th, 2012, 08:56 PM
it does seem that you have no takers: SunBelt doesn't even want you.
and only add fuel to the fire as you are promising more than you can deliver. go for it but do not bad mouth the ones that got you there.

fc97
January 24th, 2012, 08:58 PM

do you want to be in a conference of like-minded schools or in a conference with schools with more fans

you dont seem to stay with one story

more fans isn't like minded

like minded is a term for school as a whole with academics

you guys should be happy to continue having a home to be in, your fans are burning the bridges fast, would be embarrassing to see the socon revoke your membership and you have nowhere to go but being an independent

Apphole
January 24th, 2012, 09:29 PM
do you want to be in a conference of like-minded schools or in a conference with schools with more fans

you guys should be happy to continue having a home to be in, your fans are burning the bridges fast, would be embarrassing to see the socon revoke your membership and you have nowhere to go but being an independent

How is wanting to join a conference with more fans not joining a like minded conference? I'm tired of glorified highschool stadiums with horrible phans like Elon. The story is the same. Please don't be butt hurt, Elon phans. Here comes the line you two have heard all your life: It's not you, it's me.

Apphole
January 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
it does seem that you have no takers: SunBelt doesn't even want you.
and only add fuel to the fire as you are promising more than you can deliver. go for it but do not bad mouth the ones that got you there.

I only bad mouth those fans that jealously attack our natural progress. We will find a way and it will be soon.

asumike83
January 24th, 2012, 09:45 PM
your fans are burning the bridges fast, would be embarrassing to see the socon revoke your membership and you have nowhere to go but being an independent

The SoCon voting out their leading revenue generator because some of our fans hurt their feelings is about as likely as the ACC giving us an invite because some of our fans asked really nicely.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 24th, 2012, 10:26 PM
The SoCon voting out their leading revenue generator because some of our fans hurt their feelings is about as likely as the ACC giving us an invite because some of our fans asked really nicely.

That is really quite spot on.:D

ThompsonThe
January 24th, 2012, 10:35 PM
App State would have been in the FBS about 30 years ago (before it was called FBS) but turned it down because it wanted to stay in the SoCon. So much for wanting to stay with "our friends".

AppMan
January 24th, 2012, 11:17 PM
App State would have been in the FBS about 30 years ago (before it was called FBS) but turned it down because it wanted to stay in the SoCon. So much for wanting to stay with "our friends".

I don't know if ASU turned down an opportunity to go 1-A because we wanted to stay in the SoCon or some other reason, but in 1976 when ECU, Richmond and W&M left the conference there were rumors ECU wanted us to go with them as an independent partner. I was the Sports Director at WASU at the time and could never get anynoe in the administration to confirm that. Talk began to surface of a second division of D-I football was in the works and ASU was being demoted to it. The student body and alumni wanted no part of it. There were editorials written and our lines at the station lit up with angry callers. There was some talk from some in the administration, namely by former tennis coach turned AD Jim Jones, it would not be wise to leave the conference after only 5-6 years. Jones was one a leading force behind ASU's move from NAIA directly to D-I and into the SC. I am speculating, but I personally think he resisted the move as more of him being faithful to those went to bat for ASU for admission to the SC. Although the conference was in a complete free fall at the time losing flag ship programs Va Tech, West Virginia, ECU, Richmond and W&M in 8 years. One day I'd like to ask Jim Jones if ECU did indeed ask us to go along with them.

HappyAppy
January 25th, 2012, 06:47 AM

Haha this is adorable! Next, maybe Kansas State will threaten to kick Texas out of the Big 12 because they are offended that they looked elsewere.

Please xrolleyesx

There is nothing wrong with wanting to better your program. I'm not going to put down the quality of SoCon football. I think it's a great conference. The problem is that there is not much room for growth in the SoCon. I respect the traditions and the programs that have been built at schools like Wofford and Furman, but they are not growing and expanding and investing in the football program the way App is.

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2012, 06:57 AM

I doubt that will ever happen.

I'm not convinced App is going anywhere. With all of the conference realignment, even if App does secure a spot to the C-USA, it will probably be a shadow of its former conferenced, filled in with left over WAC and SunBelt teams.

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I only bad mouth those fans that jealously attack our natural progress. We will find a way and it will be soon.

Explain to me "natural progress."

I really try to be open minded about all of this, and I'll never begrudge anyone trying to improve. I cannot see how "just being in the FBS" improves anything. I think every program has a saturation point, that is, your market share and program will only get so big, and not any bigger.

fc97
January 25th, 2012, 07:39 AM
i dont have my feelings hurt

i dont really care if appalachian leaves

the conference survived and thrived after every school has left

but if a business partner has indicated that they do not want to be part of a partnership anymore and the associates of the business partner (you guys) bad mouth the current partners, then that business partner is hurting the image of the business

in other words the appalachian state administration has said it wants to sever ties and the fans denigrate the current partnership so why would the other members want to keep the partnership short of a short term money stream that is going to end anyway

if the decision is a business situation

then the business situation has changed for the worst for the other 11 partners and the partnership should be terminated if it continues to hurt the image of the current business

app leaving is a business decision

appalachian and the money are only short term gain while the image denigration is a long term penalty that could hurt money stream later

in other words, appalachian and the administration there has burned a bunch of southern conference bridges in the past three years and there are a majority of conference schools as well as conference officials that are not happy with the situation

asumike83
January 25th, 2012, 08:35 AM
in other words, appalachian and the administration there has burned a bunch of southern conference bridges in the past three years and there are a majority of conference schools as well as conference officials that are not happy with the situation

Until this comment, you have been talking about the SoCon voting us out because of what our fans say, not our administration. If anyone in the ASU administration came out and made disparaging remarks about the SoCon and talked about how much they hated it then yes, I could see that ruffling enough feathers to cause a stir. I am not sure what you mean when you say that our administration has "burned bridges" but they have had nothing negative to say about the conference. Simply looking to make a move and being open about your intentions is not burning a bridge. As you stated, this is a business.

The ASU administration has been up front about this entire process. If something happens down the line and a conference move occurs, the proper notice will be given or the appropriate fee will be paid. Unless you know something that I do not, our administration has been nothing short of professional in this process. The words of a vocal minority of ASU fans will have no bearing on our status with the SoCon. When/if the conference shifting allows for a viable, more profitable option, I will be on board for a move but myself and many other ASU fans enjoy SoCon football and are happy to be here.

fc97
January 25th, 2012, 09:33 AM
the administration has announced intentions to server a business partner while keeping the partner around until a better partner comes

in business this is not a good situation to be in for the partner being left and usually the partner on the other end severs a partnership if the other party's comments continue to paint the other partner in a bad light

fans are a part of that partnership since the fans are the item that give publicity to the partnership and the product

if the fans of said partner give continued bad press, then that again hurts the other partner, given this is a business situation, if the comments, discussion and press from the fans causes enough of an image degradation to others, it hurts the product of the one partner thus making it in the best interest to sever the relationship before the former partner severs the relationship

this is about appalachian fans denigrating the conference and members causing the image to slide because of those comments, that is a realistic part of the business as well and image to the rest of the population is just as important as the to the product, if the image is hurt then the relationship is not longer worthwhile

since you all keep talking about business, i just laid it out like a business runs

Skjellyfetti
January 25th, 2012, 09:52 AM
xlolx

Elon fans. xrotatehx

HappyAppy
January 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM
the administration has announced intentions to server a business partner while keeping the partner around until a better partner comes

in business this is not a good situation to be in for the partner being left and usually the partner on the other end severs a partnership if the other party's comments continue to paint the other partner in a bad light

fans are a part of that partnership since the fans are the item that give publicity to the partnership and the product

if the fans of said partner give continued bad press, then that again hurts the other partner, given this is a business situation, if the comments, discussion and press from the fans causes enough of an image degradation to others, it hurts the product of the one partner thus making it in the best interest to sever the relationship before the former partner severs the relationship

this is about appalachian fans denigrating the conference and members causing the image to slide because of those comments, that is a realistic part of the business as well and image to the rest of the population is just as important as the to the product, if the image is hurt then the relationship is not longer worthwhile

since you all keep talking about business, i just laid it out like a business runs

Really don't know what to say to this. The idea that the SoCon would kick out App over some negative message board comments or fan opinions is absurd. Maybe you think App should be kicked out, but don't try to twist your bitterness into some absurd scenario that would have the conference thinking the same thing. Never, ever going to happen. Sorry if this is perceived as arrogant, but App brings too much to the conference. Too many fans, too much money, too much success.

asumike83
January 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM

Yes they have but that is common in this business, not grounds to be voted out of the conference. Marshall, Boise State, etc. all did the same thing and their conferences did just fine after their departure.

I think this is where we disagree. Chatter among some ASU fans does not constitute bad press or hurt the image of the SoCon, in my opinion. The casual fan has no idea what is being said on places like AGS and I highly doubt that SoCon officials pay it any mind. I understand that from a business standpoint, the SoCon wants to protect their product. My point is that most ASU fans have no problem with the conference and those who do are not posing a threat to the reputation of the SoCon.

As an example, Texas A&M fans had been bashing the Big XII non-stop for months as they were jumping to the SEC. They were only about the 4th or 5th most important team to a conference with much more money at stake than the SoCon and when push came to shove, their conference did not vote them out but practically begged them to stay. Money talks a lot louder than fans on a message board.

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Really don't know what to say to this. The idea that the SoCon would kick out App over some negative message board comments or fan opinions is absurd. Maybe you think App should be kicked out, but don't try to twist your bitterness into some absurd scenario that would have the conference thinking the same thing. Never, ever going to happen. Sorry if this is perceived as arrogant, but App brings too much to the conference. Too many fans, too much money, too much success.

I remember those same fans calling for Jerry Moore to be fired on around 2004 or so. I learned then that message board fans don't have a clue.

asumike83
January 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I remember those same fans calling for Jerry Moore to be fired on around 2004 or so. I learned then that message board fans don't have a clue.

Some message board fans have a clue and some don't. None, however, have any input on high level decisions which is key in this case.

The Moody1
January 25th, 2012, 01:11 PM

Maybe Jerry got the clue in '04 and did something about it.

GlassOnion
January 25th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Is it a secret that CUSA is better than the Socon?

Does the Socon payout millions from their TV deal?

Does the Socon bring in OOC opponents like WVU?

Why cant we talk about something that is so obvious? If CUSA came knocking, App isnt the only school that would say hell yes and never look back. You can call a turd a diamond as much as you want, at the end of the day, its still just a turd.

Apphole
January 25th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Maybe Jerry got the clue in '04 and did something about it.

Exactly. Other SoCon school's fans just LOVE to drop that "they were calling for Jerry's head in 04." If a HC is sucking, they should be gone. The fact that he did, in fact, turn it around is great for him and the university, but it doesn't make our fans any more fickle than normal.

chattownmocs
January 25th, 2012, 01:31 PM
The have's of FCS and the Have not's of FBS will soon form a new division of college football. The gap between C-USA and the SOCON will be about as large as the gap between the ACC and the Big East.

ASUMountaineer
January 25th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Opie! Good to see ya back! Hope you're all healed up.xthumbsupx

Remember though, you start threatening, you're done.

I'm glad someone else was wise to this. HA!

ASUMountaineer
January 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Before I get touch on the content in your post, I would like to make a suggestion: sentence structure and punctuation are your friends.

Now, in your business analogy who are the fans representing? Shouldn't the fans be the customers?

Do you really believe the SoCon would consider voting out a member institution because some fans on message boards denigrate the SoCon? In what situation would that ever make sense? Do you truly believe that nameless people posting on a message board would have any influence whatsoever on either party's decision to maintain or dissolve the membership?

Twentysix
January 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM
We need atleast 6 more threads about app.

fc97
January 25th, 2012, 02:26 PM
i dont feel like punctuation on a smart phone so whatever

the customers are multiple:
-the fans are but one customer, but they are a customer of the partner, the school in this case more than then conference
-corporate sponsors are customers for the schools and the conference, positive and negative press as well as positive and negative message board comments, searchable online in search engines, can provide feedback for where sponsorship money goes as well as research into where sponsorship should or shouldnt go (how, many schools rightly or wrongly have image problems due to sentiment laid forth in the press and message boards)
-the schools themselves are customers of each other with the games due to publicity, media coverage, recruiting range and so on
-the schools themselves due to association with each other

There is more to the partnership of a conference than image of one school, money that one school brings in (until numbers are put up, the only revenue sharing that seems to be an issue is from ticket sales at touraments) and so on

one school's success or failure has very little to do with the partnership. the michigan win, the davidson run, some deep runs by citadel or georgia southern in baseball ...

StorminASU
January 25th, 2012, 02:29 PM

fans aren't part of the partnership because we have no say in day to day operations in the ASU Athletics company. We're also not shareholders because we don't have anything invested (that we expect a return on that is). Where does that leave fans in this sordid, terribly executed analogy of yours?

Fans would be just that; fans. If ASU Athletics were Kellogg cereal, we'd be the people high fiving Tony the Tiger for giving us our fiber and making sure we crap at least once daily. Lets assume that Kellogg is going shopping for a new parent company, someone who can market their goods better and are in the cereal business also, instead of their old parent company, which is in the breakfast bar business. Now obviously there's advantages to synergizing with a parent whose in the same product line, so the consumers of Kellogg's goods (i.e. the fans) get excited and start bad mouthing those dern breakfast bars. Not one **** will be given by the breakfast bar company about what the consumers think about the impending seperation/merger, they'll just be worried about two things: 1)how to keep Kellogg onboard or, 2)someone to replace Kellogg's $$$'s with if they leave. The fans won't affect things one way or the other with the breakfast bar company. Kellogg will be happy to excited their consumers and in the end, wind up with a parent company with a similar business model fit for growth. Kellogg eventually wins the divisional cereal championship too. F yeah Tony.

Now that is an analogy.

Kelloggs management would be pursuing other options, not saying anything negative at all about their current parent company, thus not burning bridges. The breakfast bar company wouldn't care what anyone thought unless Kellogg management publicly criticized them. Consumers surely wouldn't cause them to get rid of Kellogg; Kellogg is making them money and has been open/respectful about what they're doing, so why on Earth would the Parent company get rid of them because some forty year old wearing a wife beater in his parent's basement thinks Frosted Flakes would taste better under a different parent company....let me help you, they wouldn't.

Silenoz
January 25th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Suck my hog, fagggot.

Ooh, I might have to go back and read this whole thread now

TheRevSFA
January 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
xbeerchugxxpopcornxThis thread has been great to read

Apphole
January 25th, 2012, 02:47 PM
We need atleast 6 more threads about app.

Most hypocritical post of all time. I can't even count how many NDSU threads I've had to skip over lately. Get over Yosef. You are the EWU of 2011. Prepare to return to mediocrity and stop hating on REAL FCS power houses.

SoCon48
January 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM

Excellent post.

Apphole
January 25th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Excellent post.

Perhaps you missed the response...

cbarrier90
January 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Most hypocritical post of all time. I can't even count how many NDSU threads I've had to skip over lately. Get over Yosef. You are the EWU of 2011. Prepare to return to mediocrity and stop hating on REAL FCS power houses.

I wouldn't go THAT far, now...

Apphole
January 25th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't go THAT far, now...

Well believe what you want about the longevity of their #1 status, but an NDSU fan complaining about ANY other school having too many AGS threads is asinine.

mountaineerman
January 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM
everything was fine when clinton was in office

eaglewraith
January 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM

So it's Bush's fault Georgia Southern stopped winning championships?

T-Dog
January 25th, 2012, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VePxbFQ-qfw

Apphole
January 25th, 2012, 10:42 PM

You made a profile to say that?!

Twentysix
January 26th, 2012, 02:24 AM

If only it was still 2007 oh how fast 5 years goes. If you guys actually ever move up, promise you will pay us 350,000 to come hang an L on you. xlolx

AppMan
January 26th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Dear SoCon leadership... Please vote us out! Please!

Apphole
January 26th, 2012, 07:24 AM
If only it was still 2007 oh how fast 5 years goes. If you guys actually ever move up, promise you will pay us 350,000 to come hang an L on you. xlolx

I would schedule the game right now if I could. Damn, one good season and y'all think you're the new App State or something. Have you seen our home winning percentage? If it ever happens, all you Canadians should come down and learn how to tailgate.

Smitty
January 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Dear SoCon leadership... Please vote us out! Please!

Now don't ask for that, you will end up like UNCC...

Besides you don't have an invite to go anywhere yet.

PaladinFan
January 26th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Well believe what you want about the longevity of their #1 status, but an NDSU fan complaining about ANY other school having too many AGS threads is asinine.

I'm not an NDSU fan, and there are too many App State threads.

PaladinFan
January 26th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Despite what their fans think, getting voted out of the SoCon would be about the worst thing possible for App State.

fc97
January 26th, 2012, 07:47 AM

im not a north dakota state fan or appalachian state fan and there are too many of both threads

its amazing how things change with appalachian fans in six years

Apphole
January 26th, 2012, 07:55 AM
It's pretty easy to quantify people. There are 2 App threads on page one of the discussion forum right now to NDSU's 5. If any other school's fans had made that comment, I wouldn't have said anything. Actually, I would have said "Yeah, but it's not nearly as bad as NDSU"

fc97
January 26th, 2012, 08:56 AM
It's pretty easy to quantify people. There are 2 App threads on page one of the discussion forum right now to NDSU's 5. If any other school's fans had made that comment, I wouldn't have said anything. Actually, I would have said "Yeah, but it's not nearly as bad as NDSU"

go thru the pages

north dakota state - 4, 1, 2, 5, 2
appalachian state - 3, 2, 1, 2, 2

north dakota state win the championship and was still playing and there are only four more north dakota state threads than appalachian state

asumike83
January 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM
There are a lot of App and NDSU fans on AGS and therefore, a lot of threads about both teams. I am personally not concerned with what type of ring NDSU chooses, NDSU's 2016 game with Iowa or the Senate Resolution that passed after they won the title, so I have a novel idea that I thought I would share with the rest of my fellow AGS members: I did not read the thread. Instead, I decided to read and post on topics that I am interested in. To this point, I have not suffered any vision problems or other health complications from merely seeing threads on the list that I'm not interested in, so I can say with relative confidence that it would probably be safe for others to do the same.

NDB
January 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM

Dividing the number of posts by the number of national championships won in the last MONTH we get

NDSU: five
App State: sideways 8

Apphole
January 26th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Dividing the number of posts by the number of national championships won in the last MONTH we get

NDSU: five
App State: sideways 8

Well let's multiply each school's NC's. 3x1=3

Please don't mention all your D-2 BS. I won the Spanish award in kindergarten, but that doesn't make me fluent.

Apphole
January 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Let me remind everyone that this thread counting began when a well known NDSU troll said there were too many App threads. What a joke. Why don't you get on the "With all the crap" thread and talk about how ugly a yellow uniform is, hypocrite. /facepalm

WH49er
January 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Shame on us for only wanting to join the SoCon for football only.

You have to love when a fan of the "bottom of the barrel" takes an unjustified shot at you.

asumike83
January 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM

You have to love when a fan of the "bottom of the barrel" takes an unjustified shot at you.

Any word on what y'all will do? I'd think an all-sports CAA move would be great for you. CAA would love to crack the NC market I'm sure and maybe your hoops rivalry with Richmond could carry over to the gridiron. Would be a slight drop-off in the hoops conference but the CAA is still a solid mid-major.

WH49er
January 26th, 2012, 11:17 AM
IMO we are waiting for the next shake up and if there is nothing viable after that, then we go CAA all sports. Since we don't hit the field until 2013 and Judy seems intent on keeping us in the A-10 for all sports, we currently don't have a pot to piss in when it comes to football conference discussions.

asumike83
January 26th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Probably not the most urgent thing in the world either. That 'new car smell' will keep the fans interested and supportive the first few years but eventually, you will probably need an attractive conference schedule to maintain interest and the CAA would certainly provide that. Getting to host JMU, ODU, Delaware, Richmond, etc. would probably spike the fan fare.

HappyAppy
January 26th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Doesn't really seem like he was taking a shot, just stating the truth. We would never get kicked out of the SoCon, but if we were that does not mean an FBS spot is just going to appear. I think most Charlotte fans (even the anti-FCS crowd) agree that they don't want to be stuck as independents in the FCS for an indefinite period of time. Better to have a conference to play in while you wait for an FBS invite over staying independent and just hoping something opens up.

PS, please don't get offended and think this is a shot at Charlotte. It's not.

Apphole
January 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM

Any shot at Concord Community College is justified. You people are ****ers

I'm pretty sure he was talking about UNCC getting kicked out of CUSA

HappyAppy
January 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Well, I guess I know where the next 5 or 6 pages of this thread are headed lol.

Smitty
January 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Well, I guess I know where the next 5 or 6 pages of this thread are headed lol.

It happens in any thread he posts in...

WH49er
January 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Ah yes, I knew it was only a matter of time before the resident App troll took a break from smoking pole and showed up.

cbarrier90
January 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Taking shots at schools with which we have little to no athletic affiliation...this is fascinating...

Like Happy, I too will grab my popcorn...xpopcornx

Smitty
January 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM

Just saying that Independent status in football sucks. If App did get voted out they would be independent and have to deal with the pains of scheduling. Plus the randomness of who you play changing year after year would get annoying...

Besides even if we are at the bottom of the barrel, we still have a football team. May be one of the worst in the nation but it is better than the one you currently have...

T-Dog
January 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Taking shots at schools with which we have little to no athletic affiliation...this is fascinating...

Like Happy, I too will grab my popcorn...xpopcornx

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/179341_o.gif

Apphole
January 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM
It happens in any thread he posts in...

You must be referring to WH. His presence = an argument. I was doing just fine playing nice until you called him out.

Apphole
January 26th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Ah yes, I knew it was only a matter of time before the resident App troll took a break from smoking pole and showed up.

I only troll you fine folks. How's your mother?

49RFootballNow
January 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Just saying that Independent status in football sucks. If App did get voted out they would be independent and have to deal with the pains of scheduling. Plus the randomness of who you play changing year after year would get annoying......

Independent sucks but to varying degrees dependent on several factors. In Charlotte's case it only seems to suck a little as we don't know the AD's long term plans for the program beyond what was put out before the approval. If an FCS level program was to go Independent then there are clearly worse places to do so then in the FCS heavy southeast.

As for App, I really can't see the situation where the SoCon would ever willingly kick them out. If App leaves it will be on App's terms.

Besides even if we are at the bottom of the barrel, we still have a football team. May be one of the worst in the nation but it is better than the one you currently have...

xthumbsupx Enjoy it while you can.........

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/gallery/files/1/0/9/0/7/3/1_26_2012.jpg

Twentysix
January 26th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Let me remind everyone that this thread counting began when a well known NDSU troll said there were too many App threads. What a joke. Why don't you get on the "With all the crap" thread and talk about how ugly a yellow uniform is, hypocrite. /facepalm

http://www.gifgratis.net/immagini/Psx/FICHE%20R/COVERS/reel%20fishing.JPG

It was first an app fan that said it in an NDSU thread.

asujch
January 26th, 2012, 10:51 PM
There are a lot of App and NDSU fans on AGS and therefore, a lot of threads about both teams. I am personally not concerned with what type of ring NDSU chooses, NDSU's 2016 game with Iowa or the Senate Resolution that passed after they won the title, so I have a novel idea that I thought I would share with the rest of my fellow AGS members: I did not read the thread. Instead, I decided to read and post on topics that I am interested in. To this point, I have not suffered any vision problems or other health complications from merely seeing threads on the list that I'm not interested in, so I can say with relative confidence that it would probably be safe for others to do the same.
+1

BR54Niner
February 2nd, 2012, 06:20 PM

Just wondering..?

xlolx Freaking Hillbillies! xlolx Track around the stadium. Jesus H.xcoffeex

AppAlum2003
February 2nd, 2012, 06:33 PM
xlolx Freaking Hillbillies! xlolx Track around the stadium. Jesus H.xcoffeex

...with 30,000+ inside. Don't worry, you should be able to hear everything at UNCC games with 6,000 people there.

BR54Niner
February 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
...with 30,000+ inside. Don't worry, you should be able to hear everything at UNCC games with 6,000 people there.

You'll have one sellout next year thanks to Montana.

AppAlum2003
February 2nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Your trolling/smack needs work.

BR54Niner
February 2nd, 2012, 07:28 PM
Not trolling, just stating my opinion. You're program is on a slide that will be expedited due to our emergence on the football scene.

AppAlum2003
February 2nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks, Urban Dictionary.

1. trolling

Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.
Guy: "I just found the coolest ninja pencil in existence."
Other Guy: "I just found the most retarded thread in existence."

BR54Niner
February 2nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks, Urban Dictionary.

1. trolling

Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.
Guy: "I just found the coolest ninja pencil in existence."
Other Guy: "I just found the most retarded thread in existence."

But, you're not an innocent bystander. I responded to a remark from Cleets and you responded to me.....therefore, that would make you the troll aka the internet prick responding because you can.....or is that too logical?

AppAlum2003
February 2nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
No, you're a troll... I'm just the stupid enabler that's, for some odd reason, feeding the troll.

BR54Niner
February 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
No, you're a troll... I'm just the stupid enabler that's, for some odd reason, feeding the troll.

So were at "I know are, but what am I". You sticking with that? It's not too late to edit.

AppAlum2003
February 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
No, we're at "Serial-rapist BR54Niner says as many factual things as seantaylor."

BR54Niner
February 2nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
No, we're at "Serial-rapist BR54Niner says as many factual things as seantaylor."

Finally...some respect.

frozennorth
February 2nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
trollgasm deleted

Twentysix
February 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Is app ever gonna leave? Seriously. Or are we gonna have one of these threads every few months for the next 2 decades.

asumike83
February 2nd, 2012, 11:29 PM
Is app ever gonna leave? Seriously. Or are we gonna have one of these threads every few months for the next 2 decades.

In our defense, this particular thread has been revived a few times by non-ASU folks. I agree though, I am ready to not talk about the FBS until something actually happens. Until then, I'm cool right here.

cbarrier90
February 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM

I agree. This needs to stop. This board would be much better with threads about Aaron Rodgers recognizing NDSU's success or some resolution in the Senate about their championship...

GET ON IT, LAKES!

TheRevSFA
February 3rd, 2012, 09:23 AM
In our defense, this particular thread has been revived a few times by non-ASU folks. I agree though, I am ready to not talk about the FBS until something actually happens. Until then, I'm cool right here.

Hey did you hear App is going to C-USA? :D

TheRevSFA
February 3rd, 2012, 09:24 AM

http://www.tagmag.info/images/towelie.gif

AppAlum2003
February 3rd, 2012, 09:32 AM
http://www.tagmag.info/images/towelie.gif

Suuuurrrreeee... Side with chattown's brother over there. I thought we had something Rev. This hurts deeply.

TheRevSFA
February 3rd, 2012, 09:46 AM
lmao..I actually copied the wrong quote...damnit.

But come on..Don't cause there to be a towelie-ban....

AppAlum2003
February 3rd, 2012, 09:57 AM
lmao..I actually copied the wrong quote...damnit.

But come on..Don't cause there to be a towelie-ban....

Aww... I can't be mad at you! C'mere!

Apphole
February 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
There's always room for towlie. You guys wanna go get high?

TheRevSFA
February 3rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
There's always room for towlie. You guys wanna go get high?

won'tchua take me to..doo doo doo..funkytown!

SoCon48
February 4th, 2012, 04:29 PM

:>) X 100

citdog
February 4th, 2012, 04:35 PM

i thought yosef was going to the NFC South

eaglewraith
February 4th, 2012, 04:43 PM
i thought yosef was going to the NFC South

That would just be someone else the Falcons would lose to.

Apphole
February 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Did you hear that Stone Cold Stephen F Houston was the heavy weight champion of the FCS?

citdog
February 4th, 2012, 04:46 PM
That would just be someone else the Falcons would lose to.

three winning seasons in a row is steady but sure progress for my Falcons.

http://cdn.atlantafalcons.com/flagship/lib/2010/11/bartkowski_bio.jpg

eaglewraith
February 4th, 2012, 06:09 PM
three winning seasons in a row is steady but sure progress for my Falcons.

http://cdn.atlantafalcons.com/flagship/lib/2010/11/bartkowski_bio.jpg

Never would have figured you as a Falcons fan.

boonegoon
February 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Never would have figured you as a Falcons fan.

I don't know. The first true southern team. The Birmingham Stallions of the USFL are a close second. I don't think Citdog could root for anyone else.

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I don't know. The first true southern team. The Birmingham Stallions of the USFL are a close second. I don't think Citdog could root for anyone else.

The first southern team was the Washington Redskins. The fight song used to say so...

Hail to the Redskins
Hail to victory
Braves on the warpath
Fight for old Dixie!

citdog
February 4th, 2012, 09:34 PM
The first southern team was the Washington Redskins. The fight song used to say so...

Hail to the Redskins
Hail to victory
Braves on the warpath
Fight for old Dixie!

no city with this located in it can be considered Southern.

http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/dc_french/lincoln_memorial/lincoln_memorial_02.jpg

49RFootballNow
February 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM

http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/dc_french/lincoln_memorial/lincoln_memorial_02.jpg

At least Baltimore tried to do an uprising against their oppressors. Washington just rolled over and took it.

citdog
February 4th, 2012, 09:44 PM
At least Baltimore tried to do an uprising against their oppressors. Washington just rolled over and took it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ojjs0V6TE4M/TakQk6KLaKI/AAAAAAAAO0I/s63ldiTptqA/s400/baltimore18610419-pratt_street_riot.jpg

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2012, 09:58 PM

The Lincoln-Davis Memorial, Vicksburg, MS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23591833@N00/319930708/

citdog
February 4th, 2012, 10:01 PM
The Lincoln-Davis Memorial, Vicksburg, MS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23591833@N00/319930708/

President Davis wouldn't like being seen with the pretender

Steve81
February 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM
App St, hope your dreams come true. It's still an exciting ride.
Moving on up (http://umasshoops.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=11619)

Our decision was made easier by the CAA. Notice, no new Northern team added. Really feel for UNH.

Twentysix
February 5th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Our decision was made easier by the CAA. Notice, no new Northern team added. Really feel for UNH.

Doesn't UMass academics kind of demand FBS? I noticed Amherst in the top 115 world wide.

App State wasn't even in the top 500, maybe they were like 501 or something.

AppAlum2003
February 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Doesn't UMass academics kind of demand FBS? I noticed Amherst in the top 115 world wide.

App State wasn't even in the top 500, maybe they were like 501 or something.

A grammer-hound such as yourself should know...

Twentysix
February 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
A grammer-hound such as yourself should know...

I have never been to Amherst. How would I know if they feel they should be placed with the bigboys, most of whom they already outrank as a university.

Thats why it is a deserving question.

Steve81
February 5th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Academia is afraid of athletics in Amherst. They don’t like defending their department slots when a position opens up. They feel that the University money is their money and afraid they will loose out to athletics. Spilled milk as we are committed. Very fortunate how things worked out.

Yes, App State academic profile is an issue with many conferences. Believe they where number #3 in the USA Today regional category. Don’t follow this very closely but on the MAC board that James Madison was #1 in the region and more importantly had PHD degrees.

boonegoon
February 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Academia is afraid of athletics in Amherst. They don’t like defending their department slots when a position opens up. They feel that the University money is their money and afraid they will loose out to athletics. Spilled milk as we are committed. Very fortunate how things worked out.

Yes, App State academic profile is an issue with many conferences. Believe they where number #3 in the USA Today regional category. Don’t follow this very closely but on the MAC board that James Madison was #1 in the region and more importantly had PHD degrees.

I would agree the Phd stuff is a hindrance, but App otherwise is pretty well respected. I would say the "regional" monicker is as big an issue as anything. Arguing whether App is "better" "worse" or than other schools is ridiculous. All you ever get is a bunch of dudes laying their junk on the table to see which one is bigger. Silly.

frozennorth
February 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM
citdog is back. Fantastic.

Skjellyfetti
February 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM
JMU only has maybe 1 or 2 more Ph.D's than App.

henfan
February 5th, 2012, 10:51 PM

C'est la vie, UMass. There were/are only two full scholarship schools north of Jersey (Fordham & Stony) that could have been added. If the conference felt that those schools added value & they were interested in joining, they would have been added. Doubtful UMass would have remained in the CAA & FCS for the opportunity to regularly play FU and/or SBU. Please.

UMass's move has everything to do with positioning themselves for a better conference move down the line and little to do with activity in the CAA. As always, UMass looks out for UMass. They always have looked out for #1, even when it meant sticking it to long term conference mates like UNH & UMaine. The irony of your empathy for UNH would be humorous if it weren't completely disingenuous.

Smitty
February 6th, 2012, 06:06 AM
JMU only has maybe 1 or 2 more Ph.D's than App.

What are the PhD programs?

boonegoon
February 6th, 2012, 06:46 AM
What are the PhD programs?

I think App has a doctoral of education. To be fair, JMU has about 7 programs. Quite a few more.

Twentysix
February 6th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I think App has a doctoral of education. To be fair, JMU has about 7 programs. Quite a few more.

A school can have 1 doctoral program? Weird. I thought NDSU was pathetic and we have something like 44.

TheRevSFA
February 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM
A school can have 1 doctoral program? Weird. I thought NDSU was pathetic and we have something like 44.

When you're the only school in your state that fields quality education, then yes..you are going to have that many programs. It's called demand.

App State has to compete with UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest..and other quality higher institutions of education. You have to deal with the guys who wear pink..and maybe some competitions from the rodents at Minnesota.

Twentysix
February 6th, 2012, 11:28 AM
When you're the only school in your state that fields quality education, then yes..you are going to have that many programs. It's called demand.

App State has to compete with UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest..and other quality higher institutions of education. You have to deal with the guys who wear pink..and maybe some competitions from the rodents at Minnesota.

I guess, we also deal with only 700,000 citizens. I think that plays into degree demand just a little. ;)

BisonHype!
February 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I would hate to see App State go FBS. I think they are a great FCS team, and they are just good talent to have in the FCS pool.

BisonHype!
February 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Or you could look at it as maybe it opens the door for some other teams. Who knows.

SoCon48
February 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM

We have a zillion times more doctorates in our state than you. i.e. you have precious little in-state competion. Just sayin'
Whoops, just read another post saying virtually the same thing. Apologies.

SoCon48
February 6th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I would hate to see App State go FBS. I think they are a great FCS team, and they are just good talent to have in the FCS pool.

Same here, but it is happening for better or worse.

Twentysix
February 6th, 2012, 11:54 AM
We have a zillion times more doctorates in our state than you. i.e. you have precious little in-state competion. Just sayin'
Whoops, just read another post saying virtually the same thing. Apologies.

xlolx

I-16Bandit
February 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Hey App! Leave already so that this thread can die.

Sincerely,
Bandit

AppMan
February 6th, 2012, 02:50 PM

Perhaps the much speculated east coast FBS conference will become a reality and there will be a more suitable home for you guys. Have to think a league with Mass, Del, JMU, Liberty, ODU, ASU, Char, and Ga State would be attractive to TV ad buyers.

Baghdad Yosef
February 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Potential Future Mountaineers - Do no be dismayed! Do not let the future-tense questioning of this thread concern you! We have been in CUSA for over a half decade! By possibly your Junior season, it will be revealed to everyone!

Skjellyfetti
February 6th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Oh wow. Baghdad Bob jokes. Almost a decade old! How about some Monica Lewinksy jokes?

TheBisonator
February 6th, 2012, 07:46 PM

The land grant schools of states offer the most doctorates of any classification of school (except maybe Ivy League schools).

TheBisonator
February 6th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Oh wow. Baghdad Bob jokes. Almost a decade old! How about some Monica Lewinksy jokes?

You are the Weakest Link. Goodbye.

henfan
February 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Perhaps the much speculated east coast FBS conference will become a reality and there will be a more suitable home for you guys. Have to think a league with Mass, Del, JMU, Liberty, ODU, ASU, Char, and Ga State would be attractive to TV ad buyers.

No doubt that's potentially a nice collection of college football teams on paper. However, unless they hooked up within the context of an existing league, the opportunities for them to affiliate otherwise just doesn't exist. And even if NCAA bylaws allowed for new FBS conferences, there is just too much disparity in the Olympic sports offered by that particular assortment of schools. For example, UD and UM have strong MLAX programs. How does this league provide for that? How many years would this fledgling conference have to wait before its teams would be eligible for NCAA tournament bids, particularly for MBB & WBB? On the whole, that league would be a step down for UM, UD, JMU, ODU, UNCC & GSU MBB and, arguably, WBB. Where's the competitive or financial incentive?

asumike83
February 7th, 2012, 08:36 AM
No doubt that's potentially a nice collection of college football teams on paper. However, unless they hooked up within the context of an existing league, the opportunities for them to affiliate otherwise just doesn't exist. And even if NCAA bylaws allowed for new FBS conferences, there is just too much disparity in the Olympic sports offered by that particular assortment of schools. For example, UD and UM have strong MLAX programs. How does this league provide for that? How many years would this fledgling conference have to wait before its teams would be eligible for NCAA tournament bids, particularly for MBB & WBB? On the whole, that league would be a step down for UM, UD, JMU, ODU, UNCC & GSU MBB and, arguably, WBB. Where's the competitive or financial incentive?

I think the 'new conference' talk is a long shot to say the least and although it would be a great football conference, it is unlikely to ever materialize in my opinion. However, I believe the rumors were of a football only conference which would alleviate concerns about hoops and olympic sports. Again, I'm not holding my breath because even if the NCAA adjusted their bylaws to allow it, there is almost no way the other FBS conference would ever back it.

henfan
February 7th, 2012, 11:20 AM
However, I believe the rumors were of a football only conference which would alleviate concerns about hoops and olympic sports.

I largely agree with what you've written except for this statement. First off, there aren't any FB only FBS conferences for good reason. IMO, the biggest obstacle a FB only alliance would face would be the destination of Olympic sport programs. Conferences like the CAA and SoCon aren't likely to be falling over themselves to allow these schools to play FB in one conference and Olympic sports in another.

I sincerely doubt that Delaware, who spent decades without an all sport alliance, is particularly interested in breaking up long-standing rivalries with Olympic sport partners, spreading out its sports programs among two or three conferences and paying tens if not hundreds of thousands each year for affiliate fees. What's the financial incentive?

asumike83
February 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I made that last post under the assumption that the schools would remain CAA/SoCon in all other sports if this theoretical football-only conference were to form. The fact that the current conferences would not be thrilled about losing all these schools in the one sport that generates significant revenue is certainly another reason that the formation is unlikely, in addition to NCAA bylaws and an almost certain lack of support from the current FBS conferences.

Theoretically, if the CAA/SoCon allowed these schools to stay on for all sports but football, this new conference would be great but there just seem to be way too many obstacles to overcome.

The Moody1
February 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Looks like Memphis may be headed to the Big East. This opens up another spot.

https://twitter.com/#!/McMurphyCBS/status/166949585951010816

GlassOnion
February 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Dang, ECU fans are going to S*** their pants... again.

WH49er
February 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Dang, ECU fans are going to S*** their pants... again.

Understatement of the year.

Apphole
February 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM

Damn you scooped me. I saw this on twitter also. This is the most exciting off-season ever.

asumike83
February 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
All about market. I almost feel bad for ECU, they put 50K in their stadium every weekend and can't get a second look from the Big East. Memphis throws a high school team out there and gets an invite to tap the Memphis market.

I know it doesn't matter to the guys making decisions but from a fan standpoint, ECU would be great for Big East football. Now that WVU is leaving,they would immediately be the best gameday experience in the conference by a sizable margin if they got an invite.

cbarrier90
February 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM

Time to slide ASU and Charlotte into the mix...? Maybe...? Bueller...?

whitey
February 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
This move for the Big East might be more about Basketball than Football.

Apphole
February 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Time to slide ASU and Charlotte into the mix...? Maybe...? Bueller...?

You're kidding right? A start up team with a questionable fan base? ODU is 500x more likely to get an invite than Cee

cbarrier90
February 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM
You're kidding right? A start up team with a questionable fan base? ODU is 500x more likely to get an invite than Cee

Not kidding. They were a member once before and were kicked out because they didn't have football at the time. If it were about fanbase, Memphis wouldn't have a chance to get in the Big East. It's ALL about the market, and Memphis is a larger market, as is Charlotte.

I do agree that ODU should certainly be under consideration as well as JMU. C-USA probably welcomes the opportunity to tap in to VA.

GlassOnion
February 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM

ODU and App would be a great fit, 50,000 immediate additional football attendence, and a good basketball program at ODU to replace Memphis. Both great travel partners for the CUSA east.

asumike83
February 7th, 2012, 02:13 PM
ODU has a better chance of an invite than any FCS school, in my opinion. Strong attendance, good sized market and solid hoops. Charlotte has to have an FCS team for a minimum time frame (3 years?) and won't be a factor at this point. Conference USA may not be looking to get any FCS programs on board and if they are, I'd be shocked if it was not ODU. Our best bet would be to snag that second opening but I'm not overly optimistic about that either.

Apphole
February 7th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Market is the #1 priority, but Cee will need at least 5-10 years on the field to be appealing to an FBS conference. Let's not forget that UNCC shares the Charlotte market with UNC, NCSU, Wake, Duke and App.

TheRevSFA
February 7th, 2012, 02:14 PM
ODU has a better chance of an invite than any FCS school, in my opinion. Strong attendance, good sized market and solid hoops. Charlotte has to have an FCS team for a minimum time frame (3 years?) and won't be a factor at this point. Conference USA may not be looking to get any FCS programs on board and if they are, I'd be shocked if it was not ODU. Our best bet would be to snag that second opening but I'm not overly optimistic about that either.

I don't think the three year number is true. UTSA got an invite before their team played a down. They started as FCS independent for a season and begin the WAC next year.

WH49er
February 7th, 2012, 02:17 PM
ODU and App would be a great fit, 50,000 immediate additional football attendence, and a good basketball program at ODU to replace Memphis. Both great travel partners for the CUSA east.

The problem with ODU is how quickly can they retrofit their stadium? No doubt in my mind they could bring 25K-30K if they had the stadium.

49RFootballNow
February 7th, 2012, 02:34 PM
This all depends on the status of the Alliance. If it goes through I don't look for the "CUSA" half to add anybody.

WH49er
February 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I guess it's going to look something like this:

CUSA Division

ECU
Marshall
Rice
Southern Miss
UAB
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa

MWC Division

Air Force
Colorado State
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Nevada
New Mexico
UNLV
Wyoming

Are there any direct flights from Greenville to Fresno? :)

DFW HOYA
February 7th, 2012, 02:41 PM

CUSA Division

ECU
Marshall
Rice
Southern Miss
UAB
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa

Rice got left holding the short straw in this one.

49RFootballNow
February 7th, 2012, 02:56 PM
ECU and Marshall are going to pitch a s***fit over this. Terry Holland already was going to blow a gasket on travel issues and now a big chunk of CUSA East is gone. Things are still fluid.

asumike83
February 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM
ECU and Marshall are going to pitch a s***fit over this. Terry Holland already was going to blow a gasket on travel issues and now a big chunk of CUSA East is gone. Things are still fluid.

Hopefully when we travel to Greenville in a few months, we can remind Terry that he has a good friend just 270 miles to the West! xthumbsupx

(Not holding my breath though...)

GlassOnion
February 7th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Hopefully when we travel to Greenville in a few months, we can remind Terry that he has a good friend just 270 miles to the West! xthumbsupx

(Not holding my breath though...)

Dont underestimate the App friendship, Terry Holland should be feeling pretty friendless after being screwed over by the Big East, and Cusa for the past decade. If I was him, I'd be recruiting Marshall, the best Mac, SB and FCS teams to see who I could get support from for bailing on CUSA. ECU loses in just about every scenario.

49RFootballNow
February 7th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Dont underestimate the App friendship, Terry Holland should be feeling pretty friendless after being screwed over by the Big East, and Cusa for the past decade. If I was him, I'd be recruiting Marshall, the best Mac, SB and FCS teams to see who I could get support from for bailing on CUSA. ECU loses in just about every scenario.

A better bet is to hope for a split. All east coast FCS schools have a snowballs chance if the TX CUSA schools have any say.

There's not too many pretty senarios out there right this second. Things can change rapidly again though.

GlassOnion
February 7th, 2012, 03:27 PM
A better bet is to hope for a split. All east coast FCS schools have a snowballs chance if the TX CUSA schools have any say.

There's not too many pretty senarios out there right this second. Things can change rapidly again though.

ECU is a huge bargaining chip in itself, if ECU bails, I believe CUSA collapses totally. Marshall will likely follow ECU, Southern Miss may even get looks from the BE. The trick is, that ECU doesnt have a place to bail to. To take advantage, he's got to find a place, and then he'll basically get whatever east additions he wants.

Steve81
February 7th, 2012, 08:56 PM

Hopefully this will open spots up for App. ODU, JMU and down the road for Charlotte.

On a side note HenFan, UNH was our number #1 conference rival. We had 32,828 in attendance for our first game at Gillette. Yes we were proactive and moved up.

Do occassionally pop over to their forum and glad they are talking about upgrading their stadium.

Notice UNH is the only CAA team that is included here:
http://oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=19072:1 (http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=19072:1)

Accelerati Incredibilus
February 8th, 2012, 08:28 AM
CUSA is in a pickle. If the merger does not go through I see UTEP joining the Mtn West. This is going to get interesting.

WH49er
February 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM
http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34753656

C-USA reaches out to Temple.

asumike83
February 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM
If Temple agreed to an all-sports invite, they'd be a no-brainer for C-USA. Established basketball program, improving football program and a chance to tap into the Philly market. However, not sure how keen they will be on cutting ties with some long-standing rivals by leaving the A-10 in hoops for C-USA, especially now that Memphis is gone.

WH49er
February 8th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I seriously doubt Temple cuts those strong ties basketball to play football in the shell that is C-USA. No real travel partner and playing that conference schedule in basketball wouldn't help the momentum they have the moment.

I guess it comes down to are the bowl payouts in C-USA worth the risk? Plus, if they decide to leave Mr. Cosby may cut off their supply of Jello pudding pops. That alone is a reason to stay.

DFW HOYA
February 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Bigger problem: what if MWC offers Rice, Tulsa, and UTEP? What's left for Conference USA?

TheRevSFA
February 8th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Bigger problem: what if MWC offers Rice, Tulsa, and UTEP? What's left for Conference USA?

The eastern WAC schools (LA Tech, Tx State, UTSA)

BEAR
February 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM
The WAC begins to crumble...I wonder if Texas State will "get" to move back to the FCS. xlolx

TheRevSFA
February 8th, 2012, 01:07 PM
The WAC begins to crumble...I wonder if Texas State will "get" to move back to the FCS. xlolx

Actually, I heard that just based off of the Purple and Gray turf, along with a huge Scottie Pippen donation, UCA is moving to the Big 12-2-1+1..or whatever they are called now. Congrats!

BEAR
February 8th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Actually, I heard that just based off of the Purple and Gray turf, along with a huge Scottie Pippen donation, UCA is moving to the Big 12-2-1+1..or whatever they are called now. Congrats!

xlolx xlolx Yeah, our 8500 seat stadium will "wow" them. xlolx
What's funnier is you said Pippen donated something..xlolx xlolx

TheRevSFA
February 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM

xlolx

WH49er
February 8th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Be careful. If you are insinuating that Scottie is broke, you may have a lawsuit waiting for you by the end of the week.

He should of donated that G-.5520 jet he had to help cover travel costs.

MSUDuo
February 8th, 2012, 02:09 PM
CUSA and MWC are back to talking about a merger. Would be 15 for all sports and 16 for football

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM
CUSA has officially contacted Temple. I doubt we're interested.

ngineer
February 8th, 2012, 10:39 PM
CUSA has officially contacted Temple. I doubt we're interested.

Yes, the MAC is just as good or better.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 8th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Yes, the MAC is just as good or better.

It simply doesn't make any sense as long as the MAC will let us be a football only member. It's a lot better fit geographically, the level of competition (NIU, Ohio, Toledo) is as good and we've developed some rivalries with Ohio and Buffalo. Plus, with Umass entering the league we have a familiar foe.

From the hoops side it's also a no-brainer. The A10 is much stronger now that Memphis is leaving CUSA.

asumike83
February 8th, 2012, 11:20 PM
It simply doesn't make any sense as long as the MAC will let us be a football only member. It's a lot better fit geographically, the level of competition (NIU, Ohio, Toledo) is as good and we've developed some rivalries with Ohio and Buffalo. Plus, with Umass entering the league we have a familiar foe.

From the hoops side it's also a no-brainer. The A10 is much stronger now that Memphis is leaving CUSA.

The football only thing is key. I'm sure C-USA wants an all-sports member which is why Temple is unlikely to accept and sever ties with long-standing A10 rivals in hoops.

If they were to offer a football only membership, Temple would probably have to jump at that. Regardless of geographical fit, C-USA has a much more lucrative TV deal and when it comes to these things, that tends to be the driving factor.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 9th, 2012, 12:25 AM
The football only thing is key. I'm sure C-USA wants an all-sports member which is why Temple is unlikely to accept and sever ties with long-standing A10 rivals in hoops.

If they were to offer a football only membership, Temple would probably have to jump at that. Regardless of geographical fit, C-USA has a much more lucrative TV deal and when it comes to these things, that tends to be the driving factor.

They do have a better deal now but I think the MAC can improve. Temple has proven to be a pretty good draw for weeknight MAC games. Our game against Ohio this year was the highest rated MAC conference game ever. Plus, Toledo almost always plays a good OOC game on ESPN. This year it was Boise State at the Glass Bowl.

The addition of Umass could really help too. The New England, ESPN, media market could be a big boost.

Twentysix
February 9th, 2012, 12:47 AM
UND to CUSA?

Jiggs
February 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Interesting article about how CUSA changes affect UAB.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/with_rival_memphis_leaving_c-u.html

AppMan
February 10th, 2012, 04:05 PM

CUSA Division

ECU
Marshall
Rice
Southern Miss
UAB
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa

MWC Division

Air Force
Colorado State
Fresno State
Hawai'i
Nevada
New Mexico
UNLV
Wyoming

Are there any direct flights from Greenville to Fresno? :)

Outside Marshall ECU's next closest "rival" (UAB) is over 500 miles away. No wonder the average number of tickets they sold to CUSA opposing fans is 50 - THAT'S RIGHT FIFTY - per game.

StorminASU
February 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
App announces invite!
http://www.bringvictory.com

BEAR
February 14th, 2012, 01:28 PM
xlolx xlolx

Smitty
February 14th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Wow didn't think they would do it considering the state of the Merger...

TheRevSFA
February 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
App announces invite!
http://www.bringvictory.com

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to StorminASU again.

xoutofrepx

jmufan999
February 14th, 2012, 02:10 PM
For those of us that can't go to that site (because it's blocked at work), could someone summarize? I assume ASU was invited to C-USA but maybe there are some other details?

Twentysix
February 14th, 2012, 02:13 PM
For those of us that can't go to that site (because it's blocked at work), could someone summarize? I assume ASU was invited to C-USA but maybe there are some other details?

Basically CUSA has come out of the closet with their undying love for app st.

They are never gonna give app st up, never gonna let app st down.

asumike83
February 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM

It can be greatly summarized in this one pie chart:

http://zacharysuhar.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/rick_astley_pie_chart_20091007133401_2009100713340 8.png

(No C-USA invite, only a Rick Astley joke!)

TheRevSFA
February 14th, 2012, 02:20 PM
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/thefw.com/files/2011/10/things-rick-astley-checklist1.jpg

Apphole
February 14th, 2012, 03:27 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/2/14/2797624/college-conference-realignment-mwc-cusa-schedule

Interesting take

"Pacific Coast Division: Fresno State, Hawai'i, Nevada, UNLV, UTEP
* Potential Addition (1): Idaho, Montana, San Jose State

Mountain States Division: Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming
* Potential Additions (2): New Mexico State, Utah State

Coastal Division: East Carolina, Marshall, Southern Miss, UAB
* Potential Additions (2): Appalachian State, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Temple, Troy

Midlands: Rice, Tulsa, Tulane
* Potential Additions (3): Louisiana Tech, Texas State, UTSA, Most Of The Sun Belt (Arkansas State, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, UL-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, Western Kentucky)"

Apphole
February 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM
http://mobile.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/2/14/2797889/college-conference-realignment-mountain-west-conference-usa#bmb=1

And another featuring ASU

WH49er
February 15th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I can't see Temple jumping in unless it's football only. That conference would be a death wish for basketball.

MplsBison
February 15th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I can't see Temple jumping in unless it's football only. That conference would be a death wish for basketball.

Is there any school playing bball in the A10 that would leave to put all sports in another conference other than the Big East or ACC?

WH49er
February 15th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Is there any school playing bball in the A10 that would leave to put all sports in another conference other than the Big East or ACC?

St. Louis would leave to join the MVC in a second. Joining the A-10 with their Jesuit brothers in Xavier was the only real option when C-USA decided you had to have a football team.

Bogus Megapardus
February 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM

Fordham. It they ever want to reach the NCAA tournament, their best bet is to re-join the Patriot League in all sports. I have no doubt that the PL bosses would welcome them back. Fordham would still have a long way to go to be able to hang with the top 2 or 3 PL schools in basketball, however. Fordham's other sports would not have any drop off at all. They really ought to think about adding lacrosse, though.

UAalum72
February 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Fordham. It they ever want to reach the NCAA tournament, their best bet is to re-join the Patriot League in all sports. I have no doubt that the PL bosses would welcome them back. Fordham would still have a long way to go to be able to hang with the top 2 or 3 PL schools in basketball, however. Fordham's other sports would not have any drop off at all. They really ought to think about adding lacrosse, though.
Lacrosse would just aggravate the crowding of their facilities - they can't use Jack Coffey Field for lax because in the spring it's in left field of the baseball setup.

StorminASU
February 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I was hoping the Rick Roll would completely derail this thread until something actually happened, but alas, it continues. Why must we App fans keep proliferating fantasies and all sorts of non-realities on every board I visit?