PDA

View Full Version : Umass football stadium gets new surface

saint0917
June 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
AMHERST, Mass. - As the summer begins, so does construction updates on two of UMass' athletic facilities as McGuirk Alumni Football Stadium and Garber Field are undergoing updates to their playing surfaces. At McGuirk, workers are preparing to install a new FieldTurf system, while at Garber a new AstroTurf field will be installed.

New Surface (http://umassathletics.cstv.com/genrel/060106aaa.html)

Ronbo
June 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
The players really like the fieldturf and that's the important thing. The main advantages it has is during rainey weather (no more mud games) and when the cold sets in and freezes the ground. With grass the cold turns the field to brown cement. The fieldturf plays the same as when it was warm. Cusion and softness goes to grass in warm weather but not by much. I've been told by one of the Griz players that it's very close.

Demon Fan
June 2nd, 2006, 10:05 AM
The players really like the fieldturf and that's the important thing. The main advantages it has is during rainey weather (no more mud games) and when the cold sets in and freezes the ground. With grass the cold turns the field to brown cement. The fieldturf plays the same as when it was warm. Cusion and softness goes to grass in warm weather but not by much. I've been told by one of the Griz players that it's very close.

I can tell you that we (Northwestern State) have gone through at least three installations of various types of Astroturf in Turpin stadium; none of them can compare to Fieldturf (which we have had for the past four seasons) it is outstanding! You are right, when you infer that inclement weather and winter conditions will be greatly reduced.:thumbsup:

GeauxColonels
June 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Damn you all!!!

I such a bad case of "turf-envy" due to Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana, Texas State, Sam Houston State (aren't you guys getting field turf?), Stephen F. Austin, Jacksonville State, West Monroe HIGH SCHOOL and now UMass can be added to the list!

I think Nicholls and McNeese are the only 2 schools in the SLC WITHOUT field turf. Any plans over there in Lake Charles to change that anytime soon?!