PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Dibilio suffers a stroke

The Historian
January 20th, 2012, 10:57 AM
The Allentown Morning Call is reporting on its website that Princeton freshman running back and Nazareth graduate Chuck Dibilio is in intensive care at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia after suffering a stroke Thursday, Nazareth football coach Rob Melosky confirmed this morning.

Amazing and very sad that this could happen to a D-I athlete.

RichH2
January 20th, 2012, 11:07 AM
So sad, great kid and athlete. My sympathy and prayers go out to him and his family

ngineer
January 20th, 2012, 12:36 PM
What horrible news. Such a promising career and nice kid. Hopefully, he'll be able to recover sufficiently to at least return to school and progress for a meaningful life. I did not see anything in today's paper. Was this in the online edition?

RichH2
January 20th, 2012, 12:44 PM
What horrible news. Such a promising career and nice kid. Hopefully, he'll be able to recover sufficiently to at least return to school and progress for a meaningful life. I did not see anything in today's paper. Was this in the online edition?

Yup, Historian caught it. Express picked it up from there

Go...gate
January 20th, 2012, 03:01 PM
It is in the Trenton Times. The young man had a blood clot removed from his brain. So young!

Thoughts and prayers with the Dibilio family and the Princeton University family, as well.

Engineer86
January 20th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Really sad news for a great kid. I heard this afternoon that he was improving. I hope this continues beside being a great player he is a great kid!

Doc QB
January 23rd, 2012, 12:54 PM
A stroke can mean so many things as far as recovery is concerned. Hopefully if news is released we learn that it was treated very quickly, and loss of brain function minimized, and he makes a full recovery.

A young kid should not have a blood clot form in his carotid artery and beyond...in many cases it is later discovered one in this situation has a heart defect, a congenital "hole in the heart" that a clot from the legs passed thru into his neck/head instead of the lungs. Or, sometimes the clot was in heart and an arrythmia knocked it off and into the brain circulation. It is paramount to find out if either of these occurred, because it will happen again.

He may get very lucky, which we can all hope an pray for. He has fitness and youth on his side, something most stroke victims (heavy smokers on three blood pressure medications and arteries full of atherosclerosis) do not. Prayers to him, family, and friends and teammates, and to the hope that the medical team was able to act quickly.

Franks Tanks
January 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
A stroke can mean so many things as far as recovery is concerned. Hopefully if news is released we learn that it was treated very quickly, and loss of brain function minimized, and he makes a full recovery.

A young kid should not have a blood clot form in his carotid artery and beyond...in many cases it is later discovered one in this situation has a heart defect, a congenital "hole in the heart" that a clot from the legs passed thru into his neck/head instead of the lungs. Or, sometimes the clot was in heart and an arrythmia knocked it off and into the brain circulation. It is paramount to find out if either of these occurred, because it will happen again.

He may get very lucky, which we can all hope an pray for. He has fitness and youth on his side, something most stroke victims (heavy smokers on three blood pressure medications and arteries full of atherosclerosis) do not. Prayers to him, family, and friends and teammates, and to the hope that the medical team was able to act quickly.

Interesting stuff Doc. I heard he had a pretty severe condition realted to his spleen a year or two back. Could the clot and the spleen issue be related in anyway, or also be a sign to what you describe above?

Hopefully the cuase can be identified and treated so the young man can live a long and healthy life.

Ivytalk
January 23rd, 2012, 09:07 PM
I wish him a speedy recovery. He had a big game against us last year.

Doc QB
January 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Interesting stuff Doc. I heard he had a pretty severe condition realted to his spleen a year or two back. Could the clot and the spleen issue be related in anyway, or also be a sign to what you describe above?

Hopefully the cuase can be identified and treated so the young man can live a long and healthy life.
If he had spleen dysfunction that caused the platelets in his blood to be too sticky, then he'd be at risk for clot anywhere, but it is still rare to land in an artery supplying his brain, given the platelets typically stick to the damaged atheroscleosis-laden blood vessels of 60+ year olds w bad blood pressure, cholesterol, diabtetes, and smoking habits. I treat these folks for a living as a vascular surgeon, and have never seen it in a young healthy kid without some other unlucky, weird kinda problem. Word is from my buddy in the Valley who coaches at Whitehall HS and knows Melosky, is that he is doing well.

Hope that report holds true.

The Historian
January 26th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Dibilio was released from the hospital yesterday afternoon.

Even though the cause of the stroke has yet to be determined, Dibilio's father said Chuck has begun taking a blood thinner to prevent further clotting.
"The neurosurgeon said he'd be on Aspirin the rest of his life," Dibilio Sr. said. "It's good he's not on a big dose of blood thinners like Coumadin the rest of his life because if he goes on that, he won't be able to play anymore contact sports. With Aspirin, he can play sports again. He has to take one a day."