PDA

View Full Version : Article: Kiper projects BJ Coleman as a 5th or 6th round pick in draft

chattownmocs
January 20th, 2012, 07:31 AM
http://timesfreepress.com/news/sports/

#7 QB in the draft

Smitty
January 20th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Anybody think he will last longer than Riddle?

Apphole
January 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Considering Riddle's NFL career literally lasted 24 hours, I sure hope so. Good to see Chattown back. Is this the first thing you're going to hype up this year? How was placing 6th in the SoCon after you proclaimed UTC as a National Championship contender? xlolx

asumike83
January 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
He will be a project but I think he could catch on somewhere as a back-up. The kid has a strong arm and decent size but his lack of mobility may end up hurting him.

fc97
January 20th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Considering Riddle's NFL career literally lasted 24 hours, I sure hope so. Good to see Chattown back. Is this the first thing you're going to hype up this year? How was placing 6th in the SoCon after you proclaimed UTC as a National Championship contender? xlolx

you mean
scott riddle's nfl career lasted like 24 hours

it literally lasted 10 days

if you want to talk smack, about a player whose fans arent here lately, at least talk smack right or shut your apphole

chattownmocs
January 20th, 2012, 11:21 AM

Couple plays away from being right in the playoffs with a chance to make a run.You just worry about all the guys they have coming back and the fact that App State is clearly slipping.

Apphole
January 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM
you mean
scott riddle's nfl career lasted like 24 hours

it literally lasted 10 days

if you want to talk smack, about a player whose fans arent here lately, at least talk smack right or shut your apphole

My mistake. I didn't realize Riddle had such a long, illustrious career. xlolx

I was literally exaggerating!!

Apphole
January 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Couple plays away from being right in the playoffs with a chance to make a run.You just worry about all the guys they have coming back and the fact that App State is clearly slipping.

Couple of plays away? I'd say you were more than a couple of games away. Your team can't finish.

pike51
January 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Considering that Coleman would have started for any team in the FBS, I'm surprised he isn't going #1 or 2!! We all know he won the Heisman voting but said he didn't want the award because he knew in his mind he was the best and that's all that mattered to him. I didn't see UTC playing an SEC schedule next season, are they moving up in 2013 to give the SEC one more year without their total domination?

Welcome back dipstick! :) BTW... thanks to UTC for allowing GSU to win the SoCon this year. We appreciate your thoughtfulness.

TheRevSFA
January 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Considering that Coleman would have started for any team in the FBS, I'm surprised he isn't going #1 or 2!! We all know he won the Heisman voting but said he didn't want the award because he knew in his mind he was the best and that's all that mattered to him. I didn't see UTC playing an SEC schedule next season, are they moving up in 2013 to give the SEC one more year without their total domination?

Welcome back dipstick! :) BTW... thanks to UTC for allowing GSU to win the SoCon this year. We appreciate your thoughtfulness.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pike51 again. :(

Someone help me out and rep him for that.

asumike83
January 20th, 2012, 01:34 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pike51 again. :(

Someone help me out and rep him for that.

Done!

DJKyR0
January 20th, 2012, 01:54 PM

http://i.imgur.com/iPOS6.gif

TTUEagles
January 20th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Coleman to Benford (TTU WR) all day tomorrow!!!

blueballs
January 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM
Decent (at best) arm, no mobility, zero intangibles. No proven success to speak of against good competition, never led his team to any kind of playoff berth or title.

Coleman might get an invite to a camp to give a team an extra arm for drills or scrimmage fodder, but that will be all. I hope he got his degree.

chattownmocs
January 21st, 2012, 09:55 AM
Decent (at best) arm, no mobility, zero intangibles. No proven success to speak of against good competition, never led his team to any kind of playoff berth or title.

Coleman might get an invite to a camp to give a team an extra arm for drills or scrimmage fodder, but that will be all. I hope he got his degree.

Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail.

Excellent arm, Better mobility than half the starters in the NFL, Superb leaderships skills and legendary worker. Absolutey noone thinks he is going undrafted. Stop.

cbarrier90
January 21st, 2012, 10:26 AM
Excellent arm, Better mobility than half the starters in the NFL, Superb leaderships skills and legendary worker. Absolutey noone thinks he is going undrafted. Stop.

I'll give you that he's a quality guy (Coach Moore said as much after the game in Boone) but Coleman was absolutely beaten up that day by two true freshman defensive ends. For all intents and purposes, that game was the beginning of the Terrell Robinson era because BJ was never the same.

Tom Brady with cement shoes is a more mobile QB than BJ Coleman, and that should be the ONLY time you ever hear those two names in the same sentence.

FYI: Repeatedly posting "Fail." over and over again doesn't help discount the good points made in a post.xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
January 21st, 2012, 11:33 AM
Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail.

We'll see. Coleman didn't exactly shine against the SoCon (even when healthy). SoCon Qbs have struggled to catch on the in the NFL, even those like Ingle Martin and Armanti Edwards, who had far superior college careers.

Frankly, if Coleman gets that much of a look, I don't see why Forcier would not. Just as big, just as strong, faster, and had a much better senior campaign.

chattownmocs
January 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Neswflash. This isnt about BJ's college career or accomplishments. He did have a good, not great, career whether anyone likes it or not but it is about how he projects in the NFL. He is not nearly as immobile as some of you would like. He is a big, smart kid with a strong arm. He had a poor senior year because of injury, poor offensive line and 5'9", 5'10" wide recievers that were converted from other positions. He played on one of the youngest teams in the country. He is going to get drafted because obviously NFL scouts see a guy that has the potential to be molded into an NFL QB. Cry about it.

Apphole
January 21st, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hell if TJ Yates can do it, anybody can.

chattownmocs
January 21st, 2012, 06:14 PM
B. Coleman 10/15 168 11.2 1 0

Stellar performance by BJ today. Now time to go to the combine.

asumike83
January 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM
He had a poor senior year because of ... 5'9", 5'10" wide recievers that were converted from other positions.

How can you not love this guy?

After the Jacksonville St. game, Bradford was the best receiver in the conference and had a better shot in the NFL than Brian Quick. Now his receivers are part of the reason he didn't perform. Not that any QB could be reasonably expected to succeed in the SoCon with only ONE future pro in the receiving corps.

Apphole
January 21st, 2012, 07:22 PM
I recall Chattown crowing about how the Coleman/Bradford combo was better than Jackson/Quick. He crowed all day about his national championship bound, 2011, UTC team and now he's scapegoating them to talk up and make excuses for his easily-rattled, future NFL flop QB. The troll bar has been set at an all time high.

Apphole
January 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM
Let me guess. Fail

chattownmocs
January 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
I recall Chattown crowing about how the Coleman/Bradford combo was better than Jackson/Quick. He crowed all day about his national championship bound, 2011, UTC team and now he's scapegoating them to talk up and make excuses for his easily-rattled, future NFL flop QB. The troll bar has been set at an all time high.

Another epic fail. Who is this Johnson character? I thought yall's QB was Pressley? The last time I talked about Joel Bradford noone even knew who this Johnson joker was. Cool Story tho bro.

chattownmocs
January 21st, 2012, 07:32 PM
How can you not love this guy?

After the Jacksonville St. game, Bradford was the best receiver in the conference and had a better shot in the NFL than Brian Quick. Now his receivers are part of the reason he didn't perform. Not that any QB could be reasonably expected to succeed in the SoCon with only ONE future pro in the receiving corps.

Bradford was a good reciever, looking back at it though, Coleman made him look better than he was. In any event he is a very small target as are almost all UTC's recievers.

Apphole
January 21st, 2012, 07:33 PM
If anyone needs a laugh, read/remember this

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?94203-If-any-team-has-ever-been-lucky-to-win-a-game.....&highlight=

cbarrier90
January 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM
Another epic fail. Who is this Johnson character? I thought yall's QB was Pressley? The last time I talked about Joel Bradford noone even knew who this Johnson joker was. Cool Story tho bro.

You wouldn't know who Jamal Jackson is because you tucked your tail between your legs and ran from the board after a couple of 28-27 heartbreakers. You only come back spouting the same garbage you did last time because no games are being played and everybody's 0-0. Stay classy.

Impressive performance from Coleman today. Such a shame he didn't perform that way that often while he was a Moc...

chattownmocs
January 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
You wouldn't know who Jamal Jackson is because you tucked your tail between your legs and ran from the board after a couple of 28-27 heartbreakers. You only come back spouting the same garbage you did last time because no games are being played and everybody's 0-0. Stay classy.

Impressive performance from Coleman today. Such a shame he didn't perform that way that often while he was a Moc...

I know who he is, he is lame. But I was never in a debate about Jackson/ Quick vs Coleman/Bradford. It was Pressley/Quick vs Coleman/ Bradford. Considering Pressley got benched and Jamal Jackson isnt in the same league as our 3rd stringer from this year Id say I win.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 21st, 2012, 08:28 PM
It's just a shame Chatty had to play Georgia Southern, App St., Furman, and Wofford. The OVC "champion" Mocs finish 7th in the SoCon?

chattownmocs
January 21st, 2012, 08:36 PM
It's just a shame Chatty had to play Georgia Southern, App St., Furman, and Wofford. The OVC "champion" Mocs finish 7th in the SoCon?

You won by 1 at home on missed 2 point conversion against a 3rd string freshman QB in his first action

asumike83
January 21st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Bradford was a good reciever, looking back at it though, Coleman made him look better than he was. In any event he is a very small target as are almost all UTC's recievers.

I'm only busting balls man, I do enjoy your banter. A big target is always helpful but Coleman does have a lot to prove before any pro team considers him for game action.

If he makes a roster, I'll be rooting for him. I'm all about the SoCon representing at the next level.

seantaylor
January 22nd, 2012, 12:12 AM
We won by 1 because our DC is a borderline retard and can't make in game adjustments. Robinson is not that good. He struggled after teams started getting film on him. With a season to prepare for that guy, we will stomp a mud hole in Chatty.

chattownmocs
January 22nd, 2012, 12:00 PM
We won by 1 because our DC is a borderline retard and can't make in game adjustments. Robinson is not that good. He struggled after teams started getting film on him. With a season to prepare for that guy, we will stomp a mud hole in Chatty.

Your players couldn't tackle Robinson. If he develops even an adequate passing game he is going to be tough for anyone to stop.

PaladinFan
January 22nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Your players couldn't tackle Robinson. If he develops even an adequate passing game he is going to be tough for anyone to stop.

I actually have to agree with you. I watched the UTC/GSU game. UTC wasn't doing anything cute. They ran one play 90% of the game (read option). GSU's defenders just couldn't wrap up the ball carrier.

chattanoogamocs
January 22nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I actually have to agree with you. I watched the UTC/GSU game. UTC wasn't doing anything cute. They ran one play 90% of the game (read option). GSU's defenders just couldn't wrap up the ball carrier.

And it could be said that while GSU didn't have time to prepare for Robinson...neither did UTC. They had been prepping all week (and all seasons) for Coleman at QB, not Robinson. I think Robinson can be more effective next season because they will actually be installing the offense around him and his style. Basically, they got a jump start on Spring practice this year by Robinson playing 3 full games.

chattanoogamocs
January 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
As for BJ, he has spent the last two weeks training in Hattiesburg (including regular sessions with Brett Favre). He will stay there and continue his training until the combine. All of scouts agree that his footwork is not great, but they all think that his problems are correctable and that he has the upside of being a starter after a couple of years. Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't. But don't go hating on him just because chattownmocs annoys the crap out of you. :)

PaladinFan
January 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
And it could be said that while GSU didn't have time to prepare for Robinson...neither did UTC. They had been prepping all week (and all seasons) for Coleman at QB, not Robinson. I think Robinson can be more effective next season because they will actually be installing the offense around him and his style. Basically, they got a jump start on Spring practice this year by Robinson playing 3 full games.

Such a thing happened in a game in Charleston with Furman and the Citadel in 2005 when Ingle Martin went out with an injury and Renaldo Gray replaced him.

I'm interested to see about Robinson. Kids got some talent, and has shown it. Still, I've never seen a quarterback has as miserable a game throwing the ball as he did against Furman (might be a while until we see someone pass for 3 yards again). UTC might have to retool what they do. The kid can certainly run with it, but I'm not sure he's going to turn into a player that can really win games with his arm.

PaladinFan
January 22nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
As for BJ, he has spent the last two weeks training in Hattiesburg (including regular sessions with Brett Favre). He will stay there and continue his training until the combine. All of scouts agree that his footwork is not great, but they all think that his problems are correctable and that he has the upside of being a starter after a couple of years. Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't. But don't go hating on him just because chattownmocs annoys the crap out of you. :)

No doubt he has upside.

My point in all of this is that there have been several SoCon QBs that had similar intangibles, with much better careers, that never caught on in the NFL. Ingle Martin was a prime example.

blueballs
January 23rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
No doubt he has upside.

My point in all of this is that there have been several SoCon QBs that had similar intangibles, with much better careers, that never caught on in the NFL. Ingle Martin was a prime example.

Martin was 1000X the player Coleman was... no comparison there except that they're both white, both from Tennessee, and both transferred from $EC programs to the SoCon.

pike51
January 23rd, 2012, 12:15 PM

Um... who won the game you played against GSU? Heck, who won your game against The Citadel? Who won your game against App State? What about Furman and Wofford?

You didn't even have a winning season! Enjoy the basement for a few more years!

chattownmocs
January 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Martin was 1000X the player Coleman was... no comparison there except that they're both white, both from Tennessee, and both transferred from $EC programs to the SoCon.

Martin was certainly a better punter. Coleman's numbers stack up very favorably at QB however.

chattownmocs
January 23rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Um... who won the game you played against GSU? Heck, who won your game against The Citadel? Who won your game against App State? What about Furman and Wofford?

You didn't even have a winning season! Enjoy the basement for a few more years!

Chattanooga's losses were by an average of just over 2 points per game. Their wins were by an average of almost 30. They went 3-5 with an overall average PPG differential of just under 10 a game. If you think that trend is likely to continue with what the Mocs have returning, than I'd say you have a pea sized brain.

PaladinFan
January 23rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Martin was certainly a better punter. Coleman's numbers stack up very favorably at QB however.

I'll concede that Coleman's numbers are favorable -- he threw for 1,000 more yards than Martin and 10 more touchdowns (though 9 more interceptions). It can't be overlooked that Martin put up all of his numbers in two years, where Coleman put up his in three. Coleman also attempted around 400 more passes than Martin did at the FCS level, so one would expect that he would have had high passing numbers.

Unlike Coleman's offense at UTC, the Furman offense of the mid 2000s was incredibly balanced. Averaged around 230 yards a game both rushing and passing. Furman didn't rely on one player to go back and sling it 40 times a game.

Maybe the most important distinction was their records. Furman was 21-6 under Martin with appearances in the semis and quarterfinals. UTC was 17-16 with zero playoff appearances with Coleman.

asumike83
January 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Ingle Martin was also drafted, correct? I thought I remembered him at least being on an NFL roster for a few years after he graduated.

chattownmocs
January 23rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
I'll concede that Coleman's numbers are favorable -- he threw for 1,000 more yards than Martin and 10 more touchdowns (though 9 more interceptions). It can't be overlooked that Martin put up all of his numbers in two years, where Coleman put up his in three. Coleman also attempted around 400 more passes than Martin did at the FCS level, so one would expect that he would have had high passing numbers.

Unlike Coleman's offense at UTC, the Furman offense of the mid 2000s was incredibly balanced. Averaged around 230 yards a game both rushing and passing. Furman didn't rely on one player to go back and sling it 40 times a game.

Maybe the most important distinction was their records. Furman was 21-6 under Martin with appearances in the semis and quarterfinals. UTC was 17-16 with zero playoff appearances with Coleman.

An even better distinction would be ti look at the programs' records the previous 3 years. The idea that Coleman did not help elevate Chattanooga to much more respectable status is a joke.

PaladinFan
January 23rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
An even better distinction would be ti look at the programs' records the previous 3 years. The idea that Coleman did not help elevate Chattanooga to much more respectable status is a joke.

Never said he didn't elevate UTC. The Mocs went from terrible to decent with Coleman at the helm.

It may not make a difference to you, but Furman was not gangbusters before Martin arived. Granted, they were good in 2002 with Billy Napier, but the offense was just atrocious in 2003 (which wasted maybe the best Furman defense of the last 20 years). Finished 6-5 and the offense managed to get to 20 points in only five games.

There's no doubt, though, that Furman was more of a finished product when Martin arrived than UTC was when Coleman got on campus.

PaladinFan
January 23rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Ingle Martin was also drafted, correct? I thought I remembered him at least being on an NFL roster for a few years after he graduated.

5th round to the Packers. Spent most of his career as a third stringer. Bounced to Tenneessee for a while.

Interestingly, I always wondered why Martin never got a shot over that Brett Farve backup they never played. Now I know why.

I still have never uncovered why he never at least got a shot as a punter. The guy averaged over 40 yards a kick and that was his second position.

asumike83
January 23rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
5th round to the Packers. Spent most of his career as a third stringer. Bounced to Tenneessee for a while.

Interestingly, I always wondered why Martin never got a shot over that Brett Farve backup they never played. Now I know why.

I still have never uncovered why he never at least got a shot as a punter. The guy averaged over 40 yards a kick and that was his second position.

Ah that's right, he was on the Packers. Punter is a tough gig to land in the NFL. A guy with a cannon for a leg will catch on and play until he's 40, not too many opportunities present themselves.

PaladinFan
January 24th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Ah that's right, he was on the Packers. Punter is a tough gig to land in the NFL. A guy with a cannon for a leg with catch on and play until he's 40, not too many opportunities present themselves.

Yeah, even when you get cut someone picks you up. It seems the NFL has had 90% of the current kickers for years, they just rotate teams.