PDA

View Full Version : Formal proposal - unified Division I football and minimum requirements

MplsBison
January 19th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Division Unification:
- single division I consisting of all teams in current FBS and FCS sub-divisions that meet the requirement below.

Minimum player aid:
- A minimum of 70% of the total amount owed by players to the school for institutional costs shall be paid by the school using institutional funds (athletic dept revenue, institutional need-based aid, general fund, etc.).
- Money from federal sources (Pell, etc.) shall not count.
- Any money from state or local government or a private source shall not count, unless it is first recognized as a gift to the school (endowed or otherwise) that is then distributed to the player as a scholarship.
- Work study payments may count as long as the money comes from institutional sources.

Varsity status eligibility:
- any team not meeting the minimum player aid requirement will not be allowed to maintain varsity status for football.

Regular season:
- Division I teams may play no more than 12 games in a season against any opponents
- A minimum of 10 games against other Division I opponents must be played in a season

Conference championship games:
- Any conference with at least 10 teams may hold a championship game
- A divisional set-up is not required
- The methodology for choosing the two teams in the championship game is left to the conference
- All championship games will occur the week immediately following the last week of the regular season

Post-season:
- any team with at least 7 wins against DI opponents is eligible to play in an officially sanctioned bowl game
- there are no automatic qualifications for any conference champion to any bowl game
- all bowl games will select participants based on their own agreements with conferences

- any team with at least 8 wins against DI opponents that is not selected to a bowl game is eligible to participate in the official DI playoff tournament
- there are no automatic qualifications for any conference champion to the tournament
- the tournament participants are invited by committee on an at-large selection basis

Division I championship game:
- after the division I tournament and bowl games have been played, a final ranking of teams will be published an the #1 and #2 ranked teams will be invited to play in the championship game

darell1976
January 19th, 2012, 01:20 PM
You forgot about the attendance rule. Would that go away too?

MplsBison
January 19th, 2012, 01:25 PM
You forgot about the attendance rule. Would that go away too?

Who cares?

If the school is paying for at least 70% of the players' costs (roughly 60 out of 85 players fully taken care of) and the athletic dept meets the other requirements to be in Division I set by the NCAA - then knock yourself out.

darell1976
January 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Who cares?

If the school is paying for at least 70% of the players' costs (roughly 60 out of 85 players fully taken care of) and the athletic dept meets the other requirements to be in Division I set by the NCAA - then knock yourself out.

The NCAA cares. If they stick to this rule your little scenario doesn't work.

CFBfan
January 19th, 2012, 01:39 PM
hey Mpls, i just heard that the NCAA got wind of your proposal and can not wait to implement it and in addition every FBS and FCS school loves it!!!!

DetroitFlyer
January 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM
My IQ just went down from having had the misfortune of reading some of the first post in this thread....

NoDak 4 Ever
January 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM
hey Mpls, i just heard that the NCAA got wind of your proposal and can not wait to implement it and in addition every FBS and FCS school loves it!!!!

Plus they are going to have the national championship game in a specially built 200,000 seat stadium you can see from space so that MplsBison can wait as long as possible and still get a ticket!

CFBfan
January 19th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Plus they are going to have the national championship game in a specially built 200,000 seat stadium you can see from space so that MplsBison can wait as long as possible and still get a ticket!

right!! a whole new meaning to "sky box" for him

bluehenbillk
January 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM
The current standard to get in a bowl is 6 wins in a season, there's no shot that they'd ever make it seven as that would eliminate probably about half a dozen bowl games.

Conference chamionship games for 10+ team leagues versus the present-day 12 teams? I've never heard a league with less than 12 say they wanted one, who am I missing.....

Lehigh Football Nation
January 19th, 2012, 03:13 PM

Don't forget the artificial turf.

MTfan4life
January 19th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Division Unification:
- single division I consisting of all teams in current FBS and FCS sub-divisions that meet the requirement below.

Minimum player aid:
- A minimum of 70% of the total amount owed by players to the school for institutional costs shall be paid by the school using institutional funds (athletic dept revenue, institutional need-based aid, general fund, etc.).
- Money from federal sources (Pell, etc.) shall not count.
- Any money from state or local government or a private source shall not count, unless it is first recognized as a gift to the school (endowed or otherwise) that is then distributed to the player as a scholarship.
- Work study payments may count as long as the money comes from institutional sources.

This minimum player aid would have to apply to all athletes male and female that participate in official athletics of the University. This could cause a problem among many schools already having budget problems. You can't just apply money to football athletes. It has to be equal, sorry.

BEAR
January 19th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I don't think it would be fair because those FBS schools have faster players than everybody but those teams in the Southland...xwhistlex xlolx

RichH2
January 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Guess we dont havt worry about NDSU or any of the rest of us ever winning a National Champioship ever again. Wheewxrolleyesx , what a relief to have that onus liftedxcrazyx

andy7171
January 20th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I had forgotten how much fun MPLS is!

RichH2
January 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Yup, and they were complaining that American spaceflight had ended.Not in BisonLand

andy7171
January 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Yup, and they were complaining that American spaceflight had ended.Not in BisonLand

lol

BisonHype!
January 20th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Lehigh... still rockin' the Bison Avatar! NICE!xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
January 20th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Lehigh... still rockin' the Bison Avatar! NICE!xthumbsupx

Punters rule. xthumbsupx

GA St. MBB Fan
January 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM
A formal proposal? To who?

NoDak 4 Ever
January 20th, 2012, 09:11 PM
A formal proposal? To whom?

FIFY

LULZ at GaSt English Dept.

Twentysix
January 21st, 2012, 06:21 AM
FIFY

LULZ at GaSt English Dept.

That is probably the worst thing to pick if you intend to be a grammar troll. Who is considered to be optionally correct in all circumstances. Whom is a dying word that has been dying since 1975. Atleast thats what I was taught in a smalltown highschool about 7 years ago.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 21st, 2012, 07:16 AM
That is probably the worst thing to pick if you intend to be a grammar troll. Who is considered to be optionally correct in all circumstances. Whom is a dying word that has been dying since 1975. Atleast thats what I was taught in a smalltown highschool about 7 years ago.

Well I guess it may be because I learned it in a big city (for ND) high school 25 years ago. If you use the preposition to, you should use whom.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM
This minimum player aid would have to apply to all athletes male and female that participate in official athletics of the University. This could cause a problem among many schools already having budget problems. You can't just apply money to football athletes. It has to be equal, sorry.

The requirement is only in regards to Division I football. It is possible for an athletic department to be Division I without having a varsity football program in the division. Many schools do this now. For example, Gonzaga.

Therefore, if your school has a varsity football program in Division I but it can not even pay for 70% of the player's costs with institutional funds - your varsity status is revoked.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2012, 10:31 AM
The current standard to get in a bowl is 6 wins in a season, there's no shot that they'd ever make it seven as that would eliminate probably about half a dozen bowl games.

Conference chamionship games for 10+ team leagues versus the present-day 12 teams? I've never heard a league with less than 12 say they wanted one, who am I missing.....

6, 7 - whatever. Not crucial to the proposal if it's 6 or 7. I only chose 7 because a lot of people complain about teams going to bowl games with 6-6 records -- or even 6-7 records like UCLA this season.

You're also not considering that if there were not enough 7 win teams from the former FBS sub-division there will be 7 win teams from the former FCS sub-division who could be selected to the bowl game. I don't see any reason why a 7 win Montana team wouldn't bring just as many fans to the bowl in Boise as a 7 win Utah St team would.

What's magic about 12? It doesn't mean you have to have one, just that you can.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2012, 10:33 AM
My IQ just went down from having had the misfortune of reading some of the first post in this thread....

Dayton must be paying, what - 25% of the football players' costs with institutional aid sources?

Wow. Oh well, if you're a Dayton football player rest assured there will always be plenty of federally subsidized loans for you. That's Division I football!!

MplsBison
January 21st, 2012, 10:38 AM
The NCAA cares. If they stick to this rule your little scenario doesn't work.

They don't care. The rule only has context with two sub-divisions anyway. This proposal is for a single division.

Redhawk2010
January 21st, 2012, 11:20 AM
The requirement is only in regards to Division I football. It is possible for an athletic department to be Division I without having a varsity football program in the division. Many schools do this now. For example, Gonzaga.

Therefore, if your school has a varsity football program in Division I but it can not even pay for 70% of the player's costs with institutional funds - your varsity status is revoked.

Go learn something, would you? If you increase money for a male sport, you had better increase money for a female sport. Or take that money from another male sport! This whole idea is BS to begin with anyway. Let the schools fund their programs the way they decide to fund them and keep your nose out of it!