PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky and DIRECT TV Sign 5 year deal

SDFS
January 17th, 2012, 03:50 PM
DIRECTV Sports Networks will produce and televise up to 18 Big Sky Conference football games each season, including the annual Montana-Montana State rivalry game, beginning with the 2012 football season.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2012/1/17/GEN_0117125944.aspx

darell1976
January 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM
More UND football on tv...gotta love it!

FarSouthBison
January 17th, 2012, 08:06 PM
More Sue losses on national TV!

bojeta
January 17th, 2012, 08:18 PM
More UND football on tv...gotta love it!

Love watching any Great West/Big Sky team play and look forward to all games they televise. Will probably be DVRing them as I will be attending 8 to 9 Cal Poly games this year!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
January 17th, 2012, 10:33 PM
This is one sweet deal for the Big Sky.

Twentysix
January 18th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Very sweet. Too bad the valley isn't getting into something like this.

MTBison
January 18th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Great for the Big Sky!! I hope when we play the Montana teams in the next few years they will be picked up.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Great for the Big Sky!! I hope when we play the Montana teams in the next few years they will be picked up.

Since they made the deal with the BSC I doubt they will be in that package. It doesn't matter though because every Montana and Montana State game are televised so you'll be able to get them I'm sure.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
What I really like is that DirecTV will be producing the broadcasts themselves. Actually, does DirecTV and the local Montana stations have some sort of agreement to broadcast the games over the air?

darell1976
January 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
More Sue losses on national TV!

A little bit of jealousy in that statement.

Montanan
January 18th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Since they made the deal with the BSC I doubt they will be in that package. It doesn't matter though because every Montana and Montana State game are televised so you'll be able to get them I'm sure.

have you heard something the rest of us haven't?

on 10@10 sports last night AD Fields stated he doubted all MSU football games would be televised.

will KPAX be willing to bid on all the non-DTV televised games? guess we'll have to wait and see.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 18th, 2012, 12:33 PM

on 10@10 sports last night AD Fields stated he doubted all MSU football games would be televised.

will KPAX be willing to bid on all the non-DTV televised games? guess we'll have to wait and see.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/71700/2083180-ruh_roh_super.jpg

CrazyCat
January 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM

In the interviews I've seen, Fields has stated that he "couldn't guarantee" all Cat games would be televised. MTN and Max Media can't really bid on anything yet until the ROOT schedule is announced in March, I think.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 18th, 2012, 12:55 PM

The non Conference games for UM will be carried on KPAX whether it is announced or not yet. They carry those games now and since they pay the BSC for those there may just be some negotiations going on as to the prices.

That is something that will fall into place after the BSC games are sorted out and will be between UM & KPAX I would imagine and then MSU and their local TV. Too lucrative of a thing for the schools and the local TV to let it go away.

Do I actually know anything that you don't...No I don't. We all know that is how it will play out even though we don't know it yet.

Now as far as the actual BSC games involving the Griz...DTV will cherry pick what they want and see what KPAX is willing to pay for certain games and then probably simulcast the KPAX on DTV anyway while keeping some slots for other BSC games open for other teams.

MSU is probably gonna be the same thing as UM although probably not quite as certain cuz they don't have quite the same swag...yet with the local ad dollars but it's still gotta be a winning proposition for their local TV I would think.

Hammerhead
January 18th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Speaking of rip-offs in the Six Points, part II thread... I like what you did with our Elmer's glue logo.

http://www.seeklogo.com/images/E/Elmer_s_Glue-logo-F45E90B50C-seeklogo.com.gif
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/dysfunctional-Bison.gif

ursus arctos horribilis
January 18th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Oh and before anyone gets upset MSU may have exactly the same swag with dollars as UM does I'm just guessing on that one. Either way it's a lot of pull with the people in Montana.

MplsBison
January 18th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Why does the press release say "up to" 18 football games and "may" show "up to" 12 regular season MBB games?

So does that mean if they only broadcast the Mont-MSU football game and regular season MBB games that they will be within the agreement?

BearsCountry
January 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Very sweet. Too bad the valley isn't getting into something like this.

This deal was very similar to what we used to have the Fox Sports Midwest.

CrazyCat
January 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM
From the BSC

Q: How much will the new contract affect the television coverage that Big Sky fans are used to?
A: Our contract with ROOT will enhance our television exposure, but the network can't televise all of the games. Once ROOT has selected its games in mid-March, the remaining games will go on the secondary market. Television partners such as Montana's News Stations, Max Media, NAU-TV, and SWX have indicated they are willing to bid on games not selected by ROOT. We fully anticipate that all Montana and Montana State conference games will be televised, as they have in the past. We also anticipate many of those games will remain on free over-the-air TV. With Southern Utah, North Dakota, Cal Poly and UC Davis joining for football in 2012, we also anticipate working with new TV partners in those areas.

http://bigskyconference.blogspot.com/2012/01/answers-to-tv-questions.html

Lehigh Football Nation
January 18th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Q: How much will the new contract affect the television coverage that Big Sky fans are used to?
A: Our contract with ROOT will enhance our television exposure, but the network can't televise all of the games. Once ROOT has selected its games in mid-March, the remaining games will go on the secondary market. Television partners such as Montana's News Stations, Max Media, NAU-TV, and SWX have indicated they are willing to bid on games not selected by ROOT. We fully anticipate that all Montana and Montana State conference games will be televised, as they have in the past. We also anticipate many of those games will remain on free over-the-air TV. With Southern Utah, North Dakota, Cal Poly and UC Davis joining for football in 2012, we also anticipate working with new TV partners in those areas.

So. Who in the treasure state is going to burn DirecTV in effigy?

CrazyCat
January 18th, 2012, 05:47 PM
So. Who in the treasure state is going to burn DirecTV in effigy?

Only the ones still getting TV through an antenna, but I don't think they have the resources to do any real harm. :)

ursus arctos horribilis
January 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM
And there is still the online option available so most should be covered in some capacity.

darell1976
January 18th, 2012, 06:25 PM
The BSC will get a lot of exposure with this plus UND having a contract with Fox College Sports, so almost every UND home game will be on tv. Can't go wrong with all this exposure. Helps the recruiting!!

ursus arctos horribilis
January 18th, 2012, 06:29 PM
The BSC will get a lot of exposure with this plus UND having a contract with Fox College Sports, so almost every UND home game will be on tv. Can't go wrong with all this exposure. Helps the recruiting!!

For the sports in the BSC with UND I would think they have to follow this first and the Fox gets the scraps like all the other providers correct?

darell1976
January 18th, 2012, 06:34 PM
For the sports in the BSC with UND I would think they have to follow this first and the Fox gets the scraps like all the other providers correct?

Thats a good question. It could be broadcasted simutiously on both. When Minnesota played UND in hockey a week ago the game was on Fox Sports North (for the Gopher fans) they had their announcers, it was also on Fox College Sports (thanks to the UND Sports Network) with our announcers. So I don't know how it will go.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 18th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Thats a good question. It could be broadcasted simutiously on both. When Minnesota played UND in hockey a week ago the game was on Fox Sports North (for the Gopher fans) they had their announcers, it was also on Fox College Sports (thanks to the UND Sports Network) with our announcers. So I don't know how it will go.

I'm pretty sure Fox and UND will be required to follow what the BSC lays out. If they were to do that then Fox would probably pony up to DTV. I know that Montana televises a lot of games on the road with our own local KPAX which bids say 100K to do the game. It would not even be televised if it weren't for own local station doing it but since it's a home game for teh opposing team they get 80% and UM gets 20%.

You get the idea anyway, your contract with Fox will probably change to fall in line with the way the bSC does things.

darell1976
January 18th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I'm pretty sure Fox and UND will be required to follow what the BSC lays out. If they were to do that then Fox would probably pony up to DTV. I know that Montana televises a lot of games on the road with our own local KPAX which bids say 100K to do the game. It would not even be televised if it weren't for own local station doing it but since it's a home game for teh opposing team they get 80% and UM gets 20%.

You get the idea anyway, your contract with Fox will probably change to fall in line with the way the bSC does things.

Someone posted on siouxsports that UND will get whatever BSC is not covered. So if the BSC doesn't televise the UND-Cal Poly game Fox will pick it up. Its hard to determine which home games for UND football will be on Fox since there are now more than 2 DI home games unlike last year where we had 3 NAIA games and so the only tv games for UND was Cal Poly and South Dakota. Does this tv deal cover just Big Sky Conference games? Or does it include OOC games?

CrazyCat
January 18th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Does this tv deal cover just Big Sky Conference games? Or does it include OOC games?

Just BSC games.

BisonHype!
January 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
DIRECTV Sports Networks will produce and televise up to 18 Big Sky Conference football games each season, including the annual Montana-Montana State rivalry game, beginning with the 2012 football season.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2012/1/17/GEN_0117125944.aspx

That is pretty cool. Props to the conference to getting some more coverage for the teams and for the fans!