PDA

View Full Version : Football Stadiums

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 08:32 AM
Everyone has posted pictures of their University's football stadiums, and I should have posted it elsewhere, but I wanted to put a picture up of a new high school facility that just completed construction near my home in the northwest part of Houston,Tx. It is the Cypress Fairbanks ISD new athletic and support facility. I am jealous. The complex includes football stadium, new colesium, convention center, library and other amenities. I live in this school district and now I am seeing where my tax dollars are going.
High schools in district share the facilities. Unbelievable.

Football stadium
http://www.cfisd.net/bond/esc/esc3.jpg

Basketball Arena (seats 9300)
http://www.cfisd.net/bond/esc/ESC5.jpg

Front of facility
http://www.cfisd.net/bond/esc/ESC6.jpg

Here is the link if you want to check out the entire facility.

http://www.cfisd.net/bond/esc_photos.htm

Pard4Life
June 1st, 2006, 08:34 AM
This puts about every Patriot League school to shame.. : smh : It is nicer than Bucknell's newest arena.

A two tier HS stadium??

GannonFan
June 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM
Geez, talk about a very questionable use of tax payer money. That would never fly where I live - decadent to say the least. I would certainly question the priorities of an area that builds something like that for high school sports - IMO, way too much emphasis put on the athletic aspects of kids who many aren't even old enough to drive. But hey, it is Texas. ;)

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 08:41 AM
This puts about every Patriot League school to shame.. : smh : It is nicer than Bucknell's newest arena.

A two tier HS stadium??

This school district has two stadiums that are double deck. Both stadiums have scoreboards with video. High School football in Texas really is king.

AppGuy04
June 1st, 2006, 08:45 AM
Only in Texas

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
Geez, talk about a very questionable use of tax payer money. That would never fly where I live - decadent to say the least. I would certainly question the priorities of an area that builds something like that for high school sports - IMO, way too much emphasis put on the athletic aspects of kids who many aren't even old enough to drive. But hey, it is Texas. ;)

I do think it is a bit overboard. There are 8 high schools in the district that were sharing one football stadium, with a least one maybe two more in design, but geez!

I guess taxes are going up just to maintain the place.

Tribe4SF
June 1st, 2006, 09:00 AM
Is that FieldTurf I see? What a setup! The arena seats 800 more than Kaplan Arena at W&M. How many does the stadium hold?

blackfordpu
June 1st, 2006, 09:11 AM
This school district has two stadiums that are double deck. Both stadiums have scoreboards with video. High School football in Texas really is king.

Kats, I have been watching as they were putting that thing together. It is freaking crazy! That is the first pic of the basketball arena that I have seen. Very nice, the high school kids should thank their lucky stars!

Where about in NW Houston do you call home?

colgate13
June 1st, 2006, 09:35 AM
My god! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Forget PL schools P4L. A LOT of schools at the university level are worse than that. Significantly worse.

LacesOut
June 1st, 2006, 09:37 AM
So everything is bigger in TX. Huh.

Golden Eagle
June 1st, 2006, 09:45 AM
Holy cow.

jstate83
June 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM
Everyone has posted pictures of their University's football stadiums, and I should have posted it elsewhere, but I wanted to put a picture up of a new high school facility that just completed construction near my home in the northwest part of Houston,Tx. It is the Cypress Fairbanks ISD new athletic and support facility. I am jealous. The complex includes football stadium, new colesium, convention center, library and other amenities. I live in this school district and now I am seeing where my tax dollars are going.
High schools in district share the facilities. Unbelievable.

Football stadium

Basketball Arena (seats 9300)
http://www.cfisd.net/bond/esc/ESC5.jpg

Front of facility
http://www.cfisd.net/bond/esc/ESC6.jpg

Here is the link if you want to check out the entire facility.

http://www.cfisd.net/bond/esc_photos.htm

You would be surprised at how much BOOSTER's and ALUMNI of these places donate out their pockets. MOST college's could take notes from the "football Region"..........Southeast and Southwest.
Valdosta Highschool in Georgia had a FOOTBALL BUDGET of $319,000 in 2004...............think what might be now.

Some of these facilities in Mississippi look like MINI-COLLEGES.
This should open a lot of eyes...........Good read from 2004 on this subject:

The Millions pouring into Highschool Football (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2004-10-05-spending-cover_x.htm) <<<<<<<<< click

DUPFLFan
June 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM
West Des Moines Valley high school has a similar facility for football. Drake played there last year during the reconstruction of their stadium.

Dane96
June 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Is that FieldTurf I see? What a setup! The arena seats 800 more than Kaplan Arena at W&M. How many does the stadium hold?

SochorField
June 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Its a bit rediculous.....

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Where about in NW Houston do you call home?

BFP, I live in Jersey Village, BW 8 @ HWY 290.

Stadium holds around 11k I believe. I am pretty sure it is field turf as the playing surface. They do that because these facilities have so many schools playing in them plus they host high school playoff games.

SHSU basketball arena only seats a little over 3k I think.

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 10:53 AM
You would be surprised at how much BOOSTER's and ALUMNI of these places donate out their pockets. MOST college's could take notes from the "football Region"..........Southeast and Southwest.
Valdosta Highschool in Georgia had a FOOTBALL BUDGET of $319,000 in 2004...............think what might be now.

Some of these facilities in Mississippi look like MINI-COLLEGES.
This should open a lot of eyes...........Good read from 2004 on this subject:

The Millions pouring into Highschool Football (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2004-10-05-spending-cover_x.htm) <<<<<<<<< click

You are right about the booster and alumni monies, but the school taxes in this area are crazy. Plus, they are in the process of adding two more high schools. The area is growing by leaps and bounds. It is the second largest school district in Houston area.

You should see the high schools they are building.

McNeese72
June 1st, 2006, 11:10 AM
You guys pay some very hefty property taxes, don't you?

Doc

GeauxColonels
June 1st, 2006, 11:55 AM
Its a bit rediculous.....

I don't think it's that ridiculous at all. These people fill those stadiums on a regular basis. It's not like they're being built and won't get used. BELIEVE me....they'll get used.

bluehenbillk
June 1st, 2006, 12:22 PM
I've never seen a gym like that but it's fair to say there are many HS football stadiums in the Dallas area that are better or bigger than 75% of 1-AA stadiums.

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 12:32 PM
You guys pay some very hefty property taxes, don't you?

Doc

Yep, not cheap.

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM
I've never seen a gym like that but it's fair to say there are many HS football stadiums in the Dallas area that are better or bigger than 75% of 1-AA stadiums.

Yes you are right. You should see the Galena Park ISD stadium and Waco ISD stadium.

colgate13
June 1st, 2006, 01:11 PM
Yep, not cheap.

"$7,500/year on a $235K home not cheap", or "down south not cheap"? :confused:

Bobcat94
June 1st, 2006, 01:19 PM
It's definitely a case of keeping up with the Jones’. Round Rock ISD just north of Austin has a stadium not far from where I live. That facility which also seats 11,000 was the home to the Texas State Class 5A Division 1 Championship.

With that facility in Cy-Fair, I’d look in the next few years that the state championships will be held there and there may be some level of rotation depending upon the teams that are playing.

GannonFan
June 1st, 2006, 01:22 PM
I don't think it's that ridiculous at all. These people fill those stadiums on a regular basis. It's not like they're being built and won't get used. BELIEVE me....they'll get used.

That's my main point on the absurdness of this - it's not just the quality of the stadium, but that there's so much emphasis put on high school football. Hey, I've read the books and seen the movies so it's not news that places, especially like Texas, worship HS football - but, IMO, it doesn't make it any less silly. Building something like that for children as young as 13 or 14 just so the whole town can watch them play football is a bit over the top. But hey, to each their own - I'll just make sure to steer clear of places like that and keep my property taxes reasonable.

chrisattsu
June 1st, 2006, 01:34 PM
That's my main point on the absurdness of this - it's not just the quality of the stadium, but that there's so much emphasis put on high school football. Hey, I've read the books and seen the movies so it's not news that places, especially like Texas, worship HS football - but, IMO, it doesn't make it any less silly. Building something like that for children as young as 13 or 14 just so the whole town can watch them play football is a bit over the top. But hey, to each their own - I'll just make sure to steer clear of places like that and keep my property taxes reasonable.

I won't argue with you on the absurdness of this, but speaking from growing up in my small-redneck Texas town, high school football was life.
I grew up in a little town between Waco and Abilene, roughly an hour from the closest form of entertainment. The entire community revolved around the team, and this was the excitement on Friday nights. The people in my hometown would have no problems taking the tax increase to have a great stadium because you have a lot of people who grew up there, played football, never left, and remember the glory days. They take their kids out so they can instill the importance of this game to the community.

It is also a way for Aggies & Longhorns, Red Raiders & Bears, or whatever college team people follow to come together and cheer on the hometeam. The rest of the week may be smeared with college rivalrys, but come Friday Night nobody cares.

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 01:35 PM
"$7,500/year on a $235K home not cheap", or "down south not cheap"? :confused:

I guess cheap by our standards.

$7500 on 235k? WOW! Is that your tax rate? What size home?

colgate13
June 1st, 2006, 01:41 PM
I guess cheap by our standards.

$7500 on 235k? WOW! Is that your tax rate? What size home?
That's the honor of living in New York State my good man. Or Mass, or NJ to a lesser extent. We're all f'd up here. (Throw in almost 10% sales tax too.)

House is less than 2,400 sq.ft. Taxes are about $34 per thousand, but there is a meager break (STAR exemption it is called) so that brings it down a bit for primary residences.

It does help when the feds come calling for their taxes, but it sure ain't a dollar for dollar return!

Time to get off the sinking ship!;)

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 01:45 PM
That's the honor of living in New York State my good man. Or Mass, or NJ to a lesser extent. We're all f'd up here. (Throw in almost 10% sales tax too.)

House is less than 2,400 sq.ft. Taxes are about $34 per thousand, but there is a meager break (STAR exemption it is called) so that brings it down a bit for primary residences.

It does help when the feds come calling for their taxes, but it sure ain't a dollar for dollar return!

2400 sqft in the area I live would be about $4300/year which is about where mine were, but it keeps rising. So yes, I guess expensive by our standards.

Sales tax is still only 8.25% and we still have no state income tax. I am not complaining because other parts of the country are much more expensive, just like you brought up. Now I see why people are coming this way.

mainejeff
June 1st, 2006, 01:50 PM
Are they going to have Rolling Stones concerts and host bowl games?:rolleyes:

colgate13
June 1st, 2006, 01:50 PM
2400 sqft in the area I live would be about $4300/year which is about where mine were, but it keeps rising. So yes, I guess expensive by our standards.

Sales tax is still only 8.25% and we still have no state income tax.

Oh you're killing me! :( NY state income tax rate of 4-7.7%. For most people it's between 6.8% (20K to 100K income) and 7.3% (101K to 500K income).

And NY officials wonder why (http://www.colgate.edu/DesktopDefault1.aspx?tabid=730&pgID=6013&nwID=4824) many are emigrating out of the state...

MplsBison
June 1st, 2006, 05:49 PM
I think the biggest high school football stadium in Mpls. is Edina at 6500. They don't have a double deck but it is sort of double tiered.

It also has field turf.

And it's just for one high school.

The school districts around here are actually pretty small. Only three districts have more than three high schools in the whole state.

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 05:52 PM
Oh you're killing me! :( NY state income tax rate of 4-7.7%. For most people it's between 6.8% (20K to 100K income) and 7.3% (101K to 500K income).

And NY officials wonder why (http://www.colgate.edu/DesktopDefault1.aspx?tabid=730&pgID=6013&nwID=4824) many are emigrating out of the state...

And the State of Texas had a budget surplus this past year if I remember right.

mainejeff
June 1st, 2006, 06:06 PM
And the State of Texas had a budget surplus this past year if I remember right.

Well, it is an oil state.......

ngineer
June 1st, 2006, 06:47 PM
The fact that multiple high schools use the place is the only saving grace. At least it's not just one school. I hope they are similarly generous with the laboratory investments.....:rolleyes:

AppMan
June 1st, 2006, 08:36 PM
Dorman High in Spartanburg, SC ain't half bad either. The football stadium has a special blend of bermuda turf and seats 13,000. The basketball arena might not be as big time as the one in Texas, but it's still pretty good.

http://www.dormanhigh.org/vtour/index.htm

Bearkats94
June 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM

I will stick to living in the rural area and pay around 500 a year in school and property tax together. ( 3 bed room house on 15 acres )

blackfordpu
June 1st, 2006, 10:04 PM

Sales tax is still only 8.25% and we still have no state income tax. I am not complaining because other parts of the country are much more expensive, just like you brought up. Now I see why people are coming this way.

We have a 1650 sq ft house and we pay about $3000.00 a year.:eek:

colgate13
June 2nd, 2006, 07:15 AM
I will stick to living in the rural area and pay around 500 a year in school and property tax together. ( 3 bed room house on 15 acres )

It doesn't get much more rural in these parts than where I'm at. Cows probably outnumber people. The rural issue actually compounds the problem, one because there are less people to support the basic functions that any community needs, two because there are less to support those on medicaid (NY shoves the cost on the counties) and three because of all of those roads that need plowing all winter long...

exbearkat
June 5th, 2006, 12:39 PM
SHSU basketball arena only seats a little over 3k I think.
Johnson Coliseum seats 6100. ;)

kats89
June 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Johnson Coliseum seats 6100. ;)

No way. I thought it was 3500 at best.

GSUhooligan
June 5th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Here's my high school in Powder Springs, GA. I believe the stadium holds 14,000...http://www.mceachernfootball.com/facilities/index.html

NoCoDanny
June 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
My high school stadium seats about 10K and is larger than the stadium at UNC.

Jefferson County Stadium in Lakewood Colorado.

http://www.acconstructors.com/sport/images/JEFFCO.jpg

kats89
June 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Here's my high school in Powder Springs, GA. I believe the stadium holds 14,000...http://www.mceachernfootball.com/facilities/index.html

Damn that is a big stadium.:eek:

blackfordpu
June 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM
No way. I thought it was 3500 at best.

If you see it full, then you get it. :nod:

TheBisonator
June 5th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Some of these new high school stadiums are UNGODLY. It makes me real jealous, considering that my old high school in Minnesota had probably one of the worst stadiums in the state. (Also the worst basketball gym too - It's what happens when you have a school administration that completely ignores athletics and puts 100 percent of its attention into academics) We had 1,300 students when I went to school there, and all the other schools in the conference we were in had at least 2,000 students. After my school moved to a newer conference a few years after I graduated, it got a lot better, because I guess there are some schools in that new conference with stadiums that are just as bad as ours. I heard that all the schools remaining in our old conference have expanded, renovated or built new stadiums in the past 5 years, and they all have field turf now. These schools, unlike the ones in Texas, play in stadiums that are for THEIR SCHOOL ONLY, and not sharing it with anyone else. And they still all seat 5,000-6,000 people each with new field turf, scoreboards, etc. These are places that most DII teams would kill to have. And this is in Minnesota, fer chrissakes. And at my old high school, from as long back as I can remember, all I know of happening to the place in the past 10 years or so is some new signage at the concession booth.

McTailGator
June 5th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Here is the Cy-Fair ISD athletic Complex. 8500 seat basketball/all-purpose Arena and a 15,000 seat football stadium next to it.

http://www.cfisd.net/bond/esc/ESC%20with%20stadium.jpg

My Nephew will go to school at Langham Creek HS which will play there, as will my daugter if I transfer back to Houston.

McTailGator
June 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Well, it is an oil state.......

Oil money there goes to the Universities...

Texas HS's get their funding from HIGH property taxes...

No income tax in Texas...

crunifan
June 5th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Here in Cedar Rapids, Iowa three of the public high schools (CR Kennedy, CR Jefferson, and CR Washington) share a 15,000 seat stadium south of downtown, Kingston Stadium. Not the newest stadium, but it is very nice...and very big.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/BrandoJac/cedar_rapids_kingston.jpg

slycat
June 5th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Oil money there goes to the Universities...

Texas HS's get their funding from HIGH property taxes...

No income tax in Texas...

Texas and Texas A&M get the oil money. Schools like Texas State and Sam Houston don't see a penny of it from what i understand.

I grew up in the DFW area and the stadiums there are insane. I think ours sat around 6000-8000 and then there was another high schools stadium directly across the street that sat more. I know some nice stadiums were built using robin hood money.