PDA

View Full Version : Alabama State Considering Options

superman7515
January 16th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Recruiting For Division 1-A Football (http://madvertiserblogs.com/hornetchat/2012/01/09/recruiting-for-division-i-a-football/)

At the same time, he has to be careful what his staff promises to young recruits. The Hornets haven’t announced just yet that they’re making the move from Football Championship Subdivision (Division I-AA) to Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I-A) so he needs to be careful not to mislead anyone, even if the writing is on the wall.

“I don’t think they’re investing this type of money into athletics if they’re trying to stay where we are,” Barlow said recently, stating the obvious.

Of course, moving up in the ranks means severing all ties with historical rivals such as Tuskegee and Alabama A&M and leaving the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

“I embrace the SWAC,” Barlow said, “and over the years it’s been a great conference and had a lot of really, really good players come out of it.

I’m not always happy with the handling of the SWAC. I would like to explore options, whether it’s a different conference. My mindset is to be mentioned and to have an opportunity to compete with a Troy, a UAB and some of these other people.”

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2012, 07:44 AM
This stuff gives me a headache. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who sees the foolishness in all of this. Be like UAB? You'd be hard pressed to find a worse FBS program than UAB. Not only are they terrible, but their attendance is far worse than many of the FCS schools.

If I were king of the world not only would teams not be able to move up to FBS, but the FBS would be cut by about half.

bosshogg
January 17th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I hope ASU is successful if they move. the key is to make sure they have a conference that will invite/accept them.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 17th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Delusional.

3rd Coast Tiger
January 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I hope ASU is successful if they move. the key is to make sure they have a conference that will invite/accept them.

Several other schools of a similar nature have "five year plans" with Alabama State. Stay tuned.

WileECoyote06
January 17th, 2012, 12:10 PM

It's going to be difficult. ASU would be one of the smallest schools at the FBS level. But I wish them luck. This isn't the first time they've flirted with FBS/DI-A. They've been talking about this for over a decade.

Cocky
January 17th, 2012, 12:47 PM
This stuff gives me a headache. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who sees the foolishness in all of this. Be like UAB? You'd be hard pressed to find a worse FBS program than UAB. Not only are they terrible, but their attendance is far worse than many of the FCS schools.

If I were king of the world not only would teams not be able to move up to FBS, but the FBS would be cut by about half.

UAB attendance is counted by turnstile which means you have to come to count. If counted the way most schools count the number would be far greater than any other school in Alabama minus UAT and Auburn. Troy, USA, other FCSs and JSU guess high on their attendance.

RichH2
January 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM
So that fact makes UAB more relevant How? A program lost in the bottom tier of FBS. Is this something to aim for? I wish ASU luck with whatever decision they make.Expanding one's horizons is a great thing. But becoming less parochial does not require FBS

DFW HOYA
January 17th, 2012, 01:53 PM
The South Alabama fans will tell you all sorts of stories of struggles to get state officials to approve another I-A team in the state with the natural affinity in positions of authority for Alabama and Auburn. The idea of a sixth I-A team in the state (more than in any other SEC-centric state) is a stretch, but adding a school averaging 12,131 a game and without a conference invite is more than a reach right now.

ASU_Fanatic
January 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM

If I were king of the world not only would teams not be able to move up to FBS, but the FBS would be cut by about half.It's terrible, they have that huge 72,000 seat stadium and no one goes

MplsBison
January 17th, 2012, 02:25 PM
The South Alabama fans will tell you all sorts of stories of struggles to get state officials to approve another I-A team in the state with the natural affinity in positions of authority for Alabama and Auburn. The idea of a sixth I-A team in the state (more than in any other SEC-centric state) is a stretch, but adding a school averaging 12,131 a game and without a conference invite is more than a reach right now.

You're overlooking one very crucial thing: Ala St is a HBU.

The blacks will scream bloody racism if the state denies the move.

nwFL Griz
January 17th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Several other schools of a similar nature have "five year plans" with Alabama State. Stay tuned.

This intrigues me. Are you hinting at the SWAC as a whole would move to FBS? Or something of a similar nature....basically an HBU FBS conference?

While I have trouble accepting that these schools could do it financially, it kind of makes sense. The year end bowls fit better with the type of scheduling that the SWAC does. And heck, if the playoffs are not on your radar, why not go where you can make the most money?

If you can share more, I would definitely like to hear it.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 17th, 2012, 03:49 PM
This intrigues me. Are you hinting at the SWAC as a whole would move to FBS? Or something of a similar nature....basically an HBU FBS conference?

While I have trouble accepting that these schools could do it financially, it kind of makes sense. The year end bowls fit better with the type of scheduling that the SWAC does. And heck, if the playoffs are not on your radar, why not go where you can make the most money?

If you can share more, I would definitely like to hear it.

I agree it "kind of makes sense" in a football sense, but it doesn't make any sense in any other way. For starters, Mississippi Valley and Alcorn will never be a part of that move, and I have serious doubts about Alabama A&M and Southern as well.

Furthermore, there are no plans for the FBS to allow whole conferences to "move up" to FBS either. If they denied the relatively-financially-solvent CAA the ability to do so, why would they allow it for the SWAC, who have a variety of institutional funding issues?

Skjellyfetti
January 17th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Uh. UAB's attendance is far BETTER than most of the FCS schools. They'd be 14th in the FCS. 13 FCS schools "many", imo.

I always love to see FCS fans bash an FBS program for their attendance when their school's attendance is worse.

UAB attendance: 16579
Furman attendance: 11064

And.... Alabama State's attendance is also higher than Furman's. 12131. xconfusedxxlolx

WestCoastAggie
January 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Ala. State has to increase their budget before they can successfully make the move. It is hard to do with an enrollment as small as theirs.

But I think they can make the jump.

How would this move affect the Magic City Classic?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

TheBisonator
January 17th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Does anyone have that video or pics of the new stadium they were going to build for ASU??

DFW HOYA
January 17th, 2012, 11:02 PM
http://www.alasu.edu/multimedia/videos/stadium-flyover-2/index.aspx

Very nice design, but not sure where the money will come from to build it.

bamasax4
January 17th, 2012, 11:58 PM
It's scheduled to open this Thanksgiving for the TDC. It's already under construction. www.newasustadium.com there's aconstruction camera there.

Cocky
January 18th, 2012, 06:37 AM
If UAB could use the guessing attendance most other do, their attendance would be in the low 20s.
Have never understood why people praise Troy but dogout UAB. UAB would avg more people at thier games than Troy. Reported attendance is only relevant if the methods of collecting data are the same.

ASU issue is finding the funds to finish the stadium. Unless a new bonds have been acquired the funds will fall short of completion of the stadium.

Going FBS is crazy for a school unless its my school.

superman7515
January 18th, 2012, 06:58 AM
How would this move affect the Magic City Classic?

It's my understanding that they're already talking about cancelling it, whether they move up or just move to a more competitive FCS conference, when it next comes up for renewal.

WestCoastAggie
January 18th, 2012, 07:48 AM
It's my understanding that they're already talking about cancelling it, whether they move up or just move to a more competitive FCS conference, when it next comes up for renewal.

The magic City classic brings in nearly 70,000 fans to legion field every year. I can see them cancelling the Turkey Day Classic with div-2 Tuskegee but to end a classic that brings in old skool iron bowl numbers is not good business unless they can guarantee that they can still bring in that revenue from another stream.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 18th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I see it now: Alabama State vs. UAB, getting 70,000 fans... xrolleyesx

Cocky
January 18th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Magic City Classic is a large draw. If you count tailgaters, the attendance maybe more than the entire season for UAB.

MplsBison
January 18th, 2012, 02:12 PM
It's scheduled to open this Thanksgiving for the TDC. It's already under construction. www.newasustadium.com there's aconstruction camera there.

Very similar to Akron's new-ish stadium.

Cocky
January 18th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Have they acquired the additional funding to finish? The last I heard all of the bids were more than the available funds and additional funds had not been acquired.
Sure the funds will become available to finish.

bamasax4
January 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Not sure i understand your question. Its already under construction and, I hadn't heard of work being stoped due to lack of funds. I posted a link to where you can view the progress. Have you heard anything diffrent from the local papers?

bamasax4
January 18th, 2012, 04:42 PM
http://newasustadium.com/construction-cam.php

major095
January 18th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Not sure i understand your question. Its already under construction and, I hadn't heard of work being stoped due to lack of funds. I posted a link to where you can view the progress. Have you heard anything diffrent from the local papers?

no there has been nothing like that in the local paper. bama state has the funds to finish and in fact has finished the 1st phase of the baseball stadium with more seats to be added, is currently finishing the softball facility, also redoing locker rooms and the players lounge in the basketball arena, finished the new dorms, still working on the new student union, and of course the stadium. there has been no talk of money problems for bama state finishing construction. that...is only the wishful thinking of some people who support other local universities.

they have basically said they've had conversations with fbs conferences about what needs to happen to recieve an invitation to move up. in the AD's words what they are doing will lead to a bonna fid offer. sidenote, they are scheduled to play at kentucy for the 2013 season, but don't know how that will be affected with the shake up of sec schedules with tamu and missouri coming in.

there is an article out there that talks about the financials of the stadium and how much they expect to be generated for premium seating and coporate sponsorships. it'll make for a few nice payments on the stadium.

no one is talking about doing away with the magic city classic in the near future, but turkey day and tuskegee is on the chopping block. tuskegee doesn't want to play on the bama state campus and claims the contract expired with this seasons game. bama state says there is one more year on the contract. we will see who is right.

Cocky
January 19th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Friend in the construction business stated all of the bids were over the budgeted funds. Maybe he was including alternates.

Redbird Ray
January 19th, 2012, 09:24 AM
UAB attendance is counted by turnstile which means you have to come to count. If counted the way most schools count the number would be far greater than any other school in Alabama minus UAT and Auburn. Troy, USA, other FCSs and JSU guess high on their attendance.

I seriously doubt this. I've seen pictures of plenty of uab games where the published attendance appears super inflated. They did host miss state for one game, which might have bolstered the average a bit, but I'd be shocked if they had legitimately more than 12k for any other home game last year.

henfan
January 19th, 2012, 10:02 AM
ASU can consider whatever options they want. However, as has been suggested here, football reclassification will not be a realistic option without an invitation from an existing FBS conference. That's not an opinion; it's an NCAA bylaw.

MplsBison
January 19th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I have no idea how the relationship (rivalry?) is between the DI black schools in Alabama -- but what does A&M think about this?

Getting left in the dust, preparing to do the same or do they not care?

Redbird Ray
January 19th, 2012, 02:08 PM
ASU can consider whatever options they want. However, as has been suggested here, football reclassification will not be a realistic option without an invitation from an existing FBS conference. That's not an opinion; it's an NCAA bylaw.

Eh, seems like the NCAA (college football in particular) changes regulations on a weekly basis. I wouldn't rule anything out.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 19th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Eh, seems like the NCAA (college football in particular) changes regulations on a weekly basis. I wouldn't rule anything out.

Not if it disrupts the Big Ten's revenue flow it doesn't.

henfan
January 19th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Well, it would take a change in NCAA by-laws. Granted, bylaws can be changed by way of vote but it isn't something that done with the wave of a magic wand. There would generally have to be some financial incentive to the BCS conferences to get this particular bylaw changed. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

GAD
January 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I have no idea how the relationship (rivalry?) is between the DI black schools in Alabama -- but what does A&M think about this?

Getting left in the dust, preparing to do the same or do they not care?
If they leave for another FCS conference it will most likely remain as one of there OOC games
also the Magic City Classic has been the top drawing FCS game for a few years now

superman7515
January 19th, 2012, 06:26 PM
The magic City classic brings in nearly 70,000 fans to legion field every year. I can see them cancelling the Turkey Day Classic with div-2 Tuskegee but to end a classic that brings in old skool iron bowl numbers is not good business unless they can guarantee that they can still bring in that revenue from another stream.

Ah, my fault. I was thinking of the wrong Classic. You're correct that the Turkey Day Classic is the one I was thinking of, seems like it's done.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 19th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I agree it "kind of makes sense" in a football sense, but it doesn't make any sense in any other way. For starters, Mississippi Valley and Alcorn will never be a part of that move, and I have serious doubts about Alabama A&M and Southern as well
SU has the best fan base in the SWAC and the best facilities at the moment. Why would you have doubts.

DFW HOYA
January 19th, 2012, 08:50 PM

What's to say ASU hasn't made an outreach to the WAC, which needs anyone they can get?

Redbirdz
January 19th, 2012, 10:17 PM
ASU doesn't need permission from the state, only its board of trustees. I have heard that some alternates may be dropped re: funding but it is a pretty cool edifice on the way up. I think both ASU and Jacksonville State will be FBS in two years if they can wrangle a conference invitation. It is possible.

Mr. C
January 20th, 2012, 02:01 AM

This is spoken with a lot of naivety. You don't understand the legislative process if you think that such a change of by-laws would be easily accomplished. There is little motivation for the power brokers to make this sort of change.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 21st, 2012, 08:02 AM
Alabama St runs over budget: 12 million needed for expanded Project
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20120121/NEWS01/201210350/Alabama-State-stadium-runs-over-budget-12-million-needed-expanded-project?odyssey=tab

bamasax4
January 21st, 2012, 08:51 AM
This must be what cocky was mentioning. Intresting turn of events. I hope that it's all handled properly.

major095
January 21st, 2012, 09:36 AM
was just about to post that. I'll post what they put out yesterday instead. http://www.alasu.edu/news/news-details/index.aspx?nid=734
as bamasax said, I hope they are taking care of business. they are blowing smoke like they are.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM
ASU doesn't need permission from the state, only its board of trustees. I have heard that some alternates may be dropped re: funding but it is a pretty cool edifice on the way up. I think both ASU and Jacksonville State will be FBS in two years if they can wrangle a conference invitation. It is possible.

Possible yes, but what FBS conference is currently looking for what would be the #6 and #7 teams in Alabama (behind Tide, Auburn, Troy, South and UAB) - a state with 4 million people and a lot of them poor and rural.

You're talking sub-UL Monroe type programs, at least initially.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM
Harris said that while rumors of funds being misused or spent on other projects have been rampant, "not one penny of money dedicated to this stadium has gone elsewhere."

ASU released documents to the Advertiser on Friday showing that the school has spent nearly $19 million so far on the project through Wednesday, and that nearly $31 million remains in the stadium construction fund.

"I know there have been rumors that we haven't paid our invoices and that work has stopped. But let me say this, there is not a single invoice that has not been paid," Harris said. "Work has not stopped for one day."

University officials also addressed speculation that the school would be unable to go back to the bond market because of its enormous debt. ASU has borrowed more than $200 million within the last five years to renovate buildings and build new ones.

In an effort to offset those costs and cuts to state funding, the school raised tuition and student fees by 22 percent in May 2009 alone. A recent report from the U.S. Department of Education noted that ASU has raised tuition more than 43 percent since the 2007-08 school year.

Does this sound like a program that's ready to make the transition to FBS?

MplsBison
January 21st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Does this sound like a program that's ready to make the transition to FBS?

Well...at least, you can't fault them for trying.

The percent increases seem bad - but how low was tuition to begin with? My guess is pretty low, considering they're a state school in a very poor state and they market themselves to blacks in the state, many of which are rural and the poorest in the state. Can't charge too much, but you need a lot of money to make any significant improvements.

Cocky
January 21st, 2012, 12:03 PM
This must be what cocky was mentioning. Intresting turn of events. I hope that it's all handled properly.

Glad to see it will be workout and finished.

major095
April 12th, 2012, 10:45 PM
http://blog.al.com/montgomery/2012/04/asu_president_william_harris_s.html
Alabama State University will unveil the new 26,000-seat capacity stadium at the 2012 Turkey Day Classic on Thanksgiving Day. Construction crews were hard at work April 9, 2012. The $62 million stadium is part of $250 million worth of campus construction, which is part of a 30-year $600 million, campus rejuvenation plan.

superman7515
April 13th, 2012, 06:49 AM
The stadium, which can already be seen from Interstate 85, will seat 26,000 and is being built to allow for future expansion of up to a 55,000-seat capacity.

Very nice.

MplsBison
April 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
So any chance ASU becomes "Montgomery's team"?

HailSzczur
April 13th, 2012, 09:49 AM
http://blog.al.com/montgomery/2012/04/asu_president_william_harris_s.html
Alabama State University will unveil the new 26,000-seat capacity stadium at the 2012 Turkey Day Classic on Thanksgiving Day. Construction crews were hard at work April 9, 2012. The $62 million stadium is part of $250 million worth of campus construction, which is part of a 30-year $600 million, campus rejuvenation plan.

Very nice, Just seems a little odd how big the upper level is compared to the bottom. Looks like a lot of suites and boxes though

Cocky
April 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM
So any chance ASU becomes "Montgomery's team"?

Not much Huntington owns Montgomery

Skjellyfetti
April 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Not much Huntington owns Montgomery

No way in hell.

Auburn is and always will be Montgomery's team.

But, Alabama State has wayyyyy more of a fanbase than Huntingdon.

Huntingdon gets maybe 2,000 or so attending their games. Alabama State gets 12,000. Not even close.

TheBisonator
April 13th, 2012, 04:12 PM
No way in hell.

Auburn is and always will be Montgomery's team.

But, Alabama State has wayyyyy more of a fanbase than Huntingdon.

Huntingdon gets maybe 2,000 or so attending their games. Alabama State gets 12,000. Not even close.

Yeah, that's like saying MSU-Moorhead is "Fargo-Moorhead's Team".

WestCoastAggie
April 13th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Ala. State and Tx. Southern will some nice digs to play in really soon.

superman7515
May 14th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Alabama State stadium construction... http://www.alasu.edu/multimedia/photos/120508_stadium/index.aspx

Go...gate
May 14th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Delusional.

Expensive, too.

Humble Steward
May 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Alabama State stadium construction... http://www.alasu.edu/multimedia/photos/120508_stadium/index.aspx

This is awesome. Congrats to ASU. I would love to see B-CU build a stadium on campus as well.

SU_fan06
May 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM

WOW

superman7515
May 21st, 2012, 09:09 AM
WOW

Before you worry about his opinion, check out some of the other threads. He's either a genius playing a moron or a moron playing a genuis, but either way, take it with a grain of salt.

GOODY26
May 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM
ASU have not made any official announcment on that yet, however I think they are headed in that dirction with no real time table.

dgtw
May 21st, 2012, 12:29 PM
I do not see them making a move to FBS. I live in Alabama and haven't heard any rumblings about it. Moving up would effectively kill the Magic City Classic as a competitive contest, although the Classic is more of a party than a football game.

I have heard some want to make it a home and home affair, as Legion Field has seen its better days.

As far as playing the race card goes, the man who has made a career of it in Alabama politics, state Rep. Alvin Holmes, is a graduate and on the faculty at ASU. I don't know if ASU itself would raise a fuss or if large numbers of people would, but I could see Holmes doing it.

SU_fan06
May 21st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Before you worry about his opinion, check out some of the other threads. He's either a genius playing a moron or a moron playing a genuis, but either way, take it with a grain of salt.

Ha..thanks for the heads up. There were no cries of racism when FAMU didnt successfully make the jump. If FAMU couldnt make it, i'll be interested to see how Bama State does. I would have assumed that Jackson State, FAMU and Southern would make the jump before ASU

dgtw
May 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM
I think the big issue with an BBC moving up is they'd be leaving behind a lot of traditions and "Classic" games that generate a lot of money. Maybe if they could get 10 or so HBCs to move up as one (with the NCAA's blessing) it would work. but then what would become of the remnants of the HBC conferences left behind.

SU_fan06
May 21st, 2012, 01:16 PM
Why move up though and be a bottom feeder FBS program for 30+ years...Bama State will never get on Alabama or Auburns level..just too much competition. I cant blame em though..the SWAC front office is horrible. They need to go back to the 7 conference game schedule and allow the SWAC champs to go to the FCS playoffs

MplsBison
May 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Ha..thanks for the heads up. There were no cries of racism when FAMU didnt successfully make the jump. If FAMU couldnt make it, i'll be interested to see how Bama State does. I would have assumed that Jackson State, FAMU and Southern would make the jump before ASU

Did the white Florida legislature deny FAMU's move?

That's what we were talking about. Welcome to the conversion.

MplsBison
May 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Why move up though and be a bottom feeder FBS program for 30+ years...Bama State will never get on Alabama or Auburns level..just too much competition. I cant blame em though..the SWAC front office is horrible. They need to go back to the 7 conference game schedule and allow the SWAC champs to go to the FCS playoffs

No move-up...no existing school...will ever get to Alabama or Auburn's level.

Both were top 10 in athletic expenditures for all DI schools in the NCAA. That's in a relatively small, very poor, very rural state. That tells you a little something about how bat-**** crazy Alabama is for its two flagships.

That's such a piss poor excuse for not moving up...it doesn't count. Excused. Next!

SU_fan06
May 21st, 2012, 03:00 PM

Both were top 10 in athletic expenditures for all DI schools in the NCAA. That's in a relatively small, very poor, very rural state. That tells you a little something about how bat-**** crazy Alabama is for its two flagships.

That's such a piss poor excuse for not moving up...it doesn't count. Excused. Next!

just sayin'..i would rather be a pretty good FCS team than a piss-poor FBS team. I spent a couple semesters a Bama State. The students dont care about the football team AT ALL. They would wear Tide & Auburn stuff before they would wear ASU stuff. Most students go home on the weekends, so they would have to really count on alums and the local community to come to games (again, the Montgomery area has a huge Auburn fan base. They would rather watch a AU game on tv than to go to a ASU game)

The only game Bama States folks really get excited about is the Magic City Classic. A move to FBS would never work.

MplsBison
May 21st, 2012, 03:14 PM
just sayin'..i would rather be a pretty good FCS team than a piss-poor FBS team. I spent a couple semesters a Bama State. The students dont care about the football team AT ALL. They would wear Tide & Auburn stuff before they would wear ASU stuff. Most students go home on the weekends, so they would have to really count on alums and the local community to come to games (again, the Montgomery area has a huge Auburn fan base. They would rather watch a AU game on tv than to go to a ASU game)

The only game Bama States folks really get excited about is the Magic City Classic. A move to FBS would never work.

What does "work" mean? They have to make money? They have to win X games a year? Have to win a bowl game every year?

Seems to me that if they hire a good coach, provide 85 scholarship and play competitive games in an FBS conference, that works.

SU_fan06
May 21st, 2012, 03:15 PM
make money, win your conference championship, get an invite to a bowl game every now & then

dgtw
May 21st, 2012, 05:01 PM

The athletic department at Alabama turned a profit last year, the biggest profit in FBS. So they did not need any money from the state legislature to run their program.

How much is the state of Minnesota spending so their wealthy owner can have a home for his team?

DFW HOYA
May 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Pay to the order of Zygi Wilf: At least half of the $975 million cost (about $195 per every Minnesotan).

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57433922/gov-dayton-signs-$975m-vikings-stadium-bill/

Sonic98
October 11th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I just don't think the move makes sense. The first move should be to leave the SWAC or lobby for the SWAC to lose the 9-game mandate. Last I checked the lost to BCU this year. Win outside the conference before you talk about making a move. No team should even be thinking about moving to FBS unless they're consistently beating top FCS teams and bottom FBS teams. I like the idea of a 5 year plan, but I don't even know how competitive they can get outside of the SWAC in 5 years. And I know they won't let you move up as a conference, but I think it makes sense to at least wait to a couple other schools are ready to move as well. But it's good to have a plan I guess.

Are you like one of those people suffering from "white backlash." One of those that sees reverse racism everywhere, always accesses people of playing the race card just because race is discussed, and think there hasn't been a racist-motivated even in America in like 30 years?

superman7515
October 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Are you like one of those people suffering from "white backlash." One of those that sees reverse racism everywhere, always accesses people of playing the race card just because race is discussed, and think there hasn't been a racist-motivated even in America in like 30 years?

He just says things to rile up the masses. Don't pay him any mind.

Sonic98
October 12th, 2012, 02:53 PM
He just says things to rile up the masses. Don't pay him any mind.

Ook thanks for the advice LOL

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2012, 11:36 PM
ASU holds first practice in new stadium. All set for the TDC next week.

http://www.alasu.edu/multimedia/photos/121113_practice/index.aspx

Hey SoCon, you guys interested? xwhistlex

citdog
November 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM

looks to be a first class stadium.

asumike83
November 17th, 2012, 12:38 AM

Wow... that stadium looks incredible. xsalutex

ITmonarch10
November 17th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Alabama just doesn't need another FBS football team. End of Story

walliver
November 17th, 2012, 07:36 AM
If App State and Georgia Southern are having difficulty getting a bid to a decent FBS conference due to TV Market issues, I doubt Alabama State would be any different.

Maybe the Sunbelt could use an HBCU to somehow negotiate a better TV deal, but I doubt it.