PDA

View Full Version : New Weight Facility Becoming Reality

kats89
May 31st, 2006, 10:10 PM
SHSU new strength and conditioning building is coming along nicely. It sits between Bowers Stadium and the new baseball park and overlooks the football field at Bowers.

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/wts_bigdirt_09.jpg

slostang
May 31st, 2006, 10:23 PM
Looks great. When is it scheduled to open?

Green Cookie Monster
May 31st, 2006, 11:19 PM
Nice facility.

mainejeff
June 1st, 2006, 12:04 AM
Nice......looks like a quality facility.

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 07:10 AM
Looks great. When is it scheduled to open?

Not exactly sure on the date, but I am sure it will be ready for the next school year. Probably in the next several months or so. My understanding is the the outside is pretty much complete with only the inside left to finish.

Freightliner
June 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM
Not exactly sure on the date, but I am sure it will be ready for the next school year. Probably in the next several months or so. My understanding is the the outside is pretty much complete with only the inside left to finish.

According to the Sam Houston Website, completion is scheduled for June 15 with move in scheduled for July 1st.

Just for your FYI - Stage 1 of the Bowers Stadium Football locker room is underway and Stage 2 will begin in December.

GeauxColonels
June 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM
SHSU new strength and conditioning building is coming along nicely. It sits between Bowers Stadium and the new baseball park and overlooks the football field at Bowers.

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/wts_bigdirt_09.jpg

Looks great. I wish Nicholls had the support and funds to make improvements to the stadium, field and practice facilities. :(

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM
According to the Sam Houston Website, completion is scheduled for June 15 with move in scheduled for July 1st.

Just for your FYI - Stage 1 of the Bowers Stadium Football locker room is underway and Stage 2 will begin in December.

Thanks on info. Didn't know about locker rooms.

Freightliner
June 1st, 2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks on info. Didn't know about locker rooms.

From the Wednesday's With Williams Link on the SHSU athletic website

Facilities

Just a few updates on our many facility projects, as I look out of my office at Bowers Stadium, I see a new video/scoreboard being installed. I cannot wait to fire it up for football season. I know Chris Park and his marketing staff are excited about enhancing our game day atmosphere with the new boards. Additionally, Johnson Coliseum's board installation should not be far behind this summer.

The new weight room is making progress with a completion date of June 15th and move in around July 1st . Once this move has been completed then we can begin the renovation of the Academic Center on the third floor and team/video meeting rooms on the second floor.

Several rooms on the second floor of Bowers Stadium are currently being renovated with the coaches locker-room and both men's and women's track locker-rooms scheduled for completion this summer.

Additionally, because enough money has been raised to begin the renovation of the football locker-room, the project will start this summer. The renovation will occur in two phases, with the first phase being completed in August 2006 and the second phase in January 2007.

kats89
June 1st, 2006, 03:39 PM
From the Wednesday's With Williams Link on the SHSU athletic website

Facilities

Just a few updates on our many facility projects, as I look out of my office at Bowers Stadium, I see a new video/scoreboard being installed. I cannot wait to fire it up for football season. I know Chris Park and his marketing staff are excited about enhancing our game day atmosphere with the new boards. Additionally, Johnson Coliseum's board installation should not be far behind this summer.

The new weight room is making progress with a completion date of June 15th and move in around July 1st . Once this move has been completed then we can begin the renovation of the Academic Center on the third floor and team/video meeting rooms on the second floor.

Several rooms on the second floor of Bowers Stadium are currently being renovated with the coaches locker-room and both men's and women's track locker-rooms scheduled for completion this summer.

Additionally, because enough money has been raised to begin the renovation of the football locker-room, the project will start this summer. The renovation will occur in two phases, with the first phase being completed in August 2006 and the second phase in January 2007.

I haven't read the Wed. with Williams articles because they had not be updated in months so I didn't even check it out. Glad to see he finally put some kind of update out there. A lot of renovations and upgrades going on at SHSU. Our facilities are going to be top knotch in the SLC.

TexasTerror
June 1st, 2006, 06:13 PM
I haven't read the Wed. with Williams articles because they had not be updated in months so I didn't even check it out. Glad to see he finally put some kind of update out there. A lot of renovations and upgrades going on at SHSU. Our facilities are going to be top knotch in the SLC.

Agreed...

SHSU is heading in a positive direction, not only building athletically, but academically as well...

exbearkat
June 5th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Agreed...

SHSU is heading in a positive direction, not only building athletically, but academically as well...
Once Bowers receives the new turf next Summer we will definitely have one of the best facilities in the entire conference. :nod:

paytonlives
June 5th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I went out to the baseball field on Thur and Friday to watch Woodlands High School play and Kyle Drabeck pitch. NICE baseball stadium.

Noticed the building you are taking about and it looks great too!!!!

Is the football stadium getting some upgrades also??

BTW Anyone in the Austin area needs to go out on Friday and watch the Woodlands team play (#1 high school team in the nation) in the state 5A championship. Drabek will probably be the #1 pick in the MLB draft. 18 years old and throws 95MPH. Last week in a 7 inning game he struck out 19!!!! And that was against a PLAYOFF Caliber team. I know its not I-AA info, but that team is unbelievable

kats89
June 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I went out to the baseball field on Thur and Friday to watch Woodlands High School play and Kyle Drabeck pitch. NICE baseball stadium.

BTW Anyone in the Austin area needs to go out on Friday and watch the Woodlands team play (#1 high school team in the nation) in the state 5A championship. Drabek will probably be the #1 pick in the MLB draft. 18 years old and throws 95MPH. Last week in a 7 inning game he struck out 19!!!! And that was against a PLAYOFF Caliber team. I know its not I-AA info, but that team is unbelievable

Yes they are upgrading locker rooms and they just installed the new scoreboard.

My high school alma mater is in the state baseball tourn., KATY TIGERS. They have been making a name for themselves in the playoffs.

TexasTerror
June 5th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Yes they are upgrading locker rooms and they just installed the new scoreboard.

And do not forget the elevator to the suites and pressbox...:nod:

Would've been very helpful during the SLC outdoor T&F meet...:bang:

blackfordpu
June 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM

A UM fan in Texas? What are you doing down here?:confused: :)

Panther88
June 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM

DrabeKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK is the real deal. I don't foresee college for him. Can you say straight to the majors?

I need to stop through HSV on the way home and see the renovs for myself. I always liked Bowers and from the pix of the baseball field, looks like SHSU is positioning itself to be more competitive (recruitment wise). Can't hate on that.

kats89
June 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM
DrabeKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK is the real deal. I don't foresee college for him. Can you say straight to the majors?

I need to stop through HSV on the way home and see the renovs for myself. I always liked Bowers and from the pix of the baseball field, looks like SHSU is positioning itself to be more competitive (recruitment wise). Can't hate on that.

When they get the weight facility completed, SHSU will have built them a very attractive sports complex at the top the hill. If you haven't been back in a while, you are going to be suprised at all the changes on the campus.

paytonlives
June 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
A UM fan in Texas? What are you doing down here?:confused: :)

Moved down here to complete some school and hopefully teach and coach.

I think Katy is in for a sad surprise. I sat the last two years in Missoula and watched the Missoula Osprey (Arizona Minor L. Team), I am not exagerating to say that I think the Woodlands Highlanders would probably beat them!!!! Drabek will get drafted in the top 10 and HE is woodlands #2 pitcher!!!! The #1 is going to TCU!!! They also have 5 other players going to MAJOR college programs.

AGAIN IF YOU CAN GET TO AUSTIN ON FRI AND SAT

GET THERE!!!!

TheBisonator
June 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM
It looks pretty good. Hope to see it done soon.

I guess NDSU will be building something like that, but as an attachment to the Bison Sports Arena.

BTW, does this building just hold weight training/strength facilities?? The building looks kinda small.

TheBisonator
June 5th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Looks great. I wish Nicholls had the support and funds to make improvements to the stadium, field and practice facilities. :(

At least you're elligible for the playoffs...:bang: :bang: :bang:

exbearkat
June 5th, 2006, 11:51 PM
BTW, does this building just hold weight training/strength facilities??
For the most part, yes. The entire building is a little over 11,000 square feet, and I think there might be a few new offices as well. However, I do know that the actual weight room area is 9,000+ square feet in all.

Not too shabby. ;)

Panther88
June 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM

I think Katy is in for a sad surprise. I sat the last two years in Missoula and watched the Missoula Osprey (Arizona Minor L. Team), I am not exagerating to say that I think the Woodlands Highlanders would probably beat them!!!! Drabek will get drafted in the top 10 and HE is woodlands #2 pitcher!!!! The #1 is going to TCU!!! They also have 5 other players going to MAJOR college programs.

GET THERE!!!!

There's good ball being played by MOST of Montgomery County's squads. Even the girls teams (Splendora ranked #1, McCullough lol ;) ranked #1, Montgomery ranked as high as #2, and I think Conroe High boys too made the playoffs semi-deeply before being ousted as well as the Montg girls).

I'll check those facilities out on the next visit through Walker Co.

kats89
June 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM

GET THERE!!!!

don't look too far ahead. Katy has been one of the highest scoring, if not the highest scoring teams in the playoffs so far. I know that Woodlands is like a minor league team, BUT anything can happen. 37-9 is not too shabby for the Tigers of Katy.

paytonlives
June 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM
don't look too far ahead. Katy has been one of the highest scoring, if not the highest scoring teams in the playoffs so far. I know that Woodlands is like a minor league team, BUT anything can happen. 37-9 is not too shabby for the Tigers of Katy.

They will meet in the Championship game if they meet. 4PM on Saturday.