PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Playoff Defense

gregatim
January 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Check out the following link for composite NDSU offensive and defensive stats for the four playoff games. One stat that really jumped out at me is that we, NDSU, ran 225 offensive plays versus the 290 our opponents ran.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_champs_records/2011/d1/html/ndsu.htm

On average, our opponents ran 65 plays per game against us for the 15 games we played in 2011/2012. In the playoffs, our defense gave up a total of 27 points to some of the top scoring offenses in FCS while playing the equivalent of 5 games worth of defensive snaps. Defense wins championships!

....and clearly our offense needs to improve upon its ball control......

LEHIGH61
January 13th, 2012, 03:56 PM
The NDSU Defense was, quite frankly, the best I have seen.

Grizzlies82
January 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM

I thought Alabama's defense looked pretty solid vs LSU.

:)

344Johnson
January 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I thought Alabama's defense looked pretty solid vs LSU.

:)

I am a bit curious about that. While without a doubt, Alabama has an outstanding defense, was part of it that LSU's offense was not exceptionally good either?

frozennorth
January 13th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I am a bit curious about that. While without a doubt, Alabama has an outstanding defense, was part of it that LSU's offense was not exceptionally good either?

lsu's offense was mediocre at best all season.

penguinpower
January 13th, 2012, 11:13 PM

YSU 1994
App state 2006
Delaware 2003
NDSU 2011

All were very good

MTfan4life
January 14th, 2012, 03:59 AM
lsu's offense was mediocre at best all season.

LSU averaged nearly 40 points while playing in the defense dominated SEC. Sure a lot of those points were helped by their defense, but it's not like it was just Alabama stopping a weak offense.

DJKyR0
January 14th, 2012, 04:02 AM
All this makes The_Fan's prediction of a 380, 5-TD game by Lum over NDSU's "bad" defense all the more laughable.

blueballs
January 14th, 2012, 06:41 AM
YSU 1994
App state 2006
Delaware 2003
NDSU 2011

All were very good

Indeed!

LakesBison
January 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
ndsu's defense was best ever in a playoff run in fcs history.

MTfan4life
January 16th, 2012, 01:16 PM

How many of those playoff runs throughout FCS history have you witnessed or even covered to base that adamant conclusion off? Considering your handle, I can't imagine it's been too many.

bluehenbillk
January 16th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Well actually Delaware's 2003 defense still holds the record for fewest points allowed for teams that played 4 games: 23 points total in 4 games

penguinpower
January 16th, 2012, 03:13 PM

????????? Check YSU 1994. Very similar.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 16th, 2012, 03:23 PM
????????? Check YSU 1994. Very similar.

There are very few of these sorts of NDSU guys left that have no idea of the history of FCS and therefore think that the accomplishments of NDSU are a brand new thing that has never been seen before. You just have to educate these few poor souls and hope they can reconcile it in their own head at some point. Be patient, 90% of the NDSU foks are real sharp guys & gals and we all have these sorts of people in our own bases.

FargoBison
January 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Pretty sure ndsufreshman is just lakesbison's other handle, so keep that in mind.

DJKyR0
January 16th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Pretty sure ndsufreshman is just lakesbison's other handle, so keep that in mind.

We have a winner. xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
January 16th, 2012, 05:48 PM

Yup, seems a valid observation for sure. Whichever handle he uses it is still coming from the same pointless, uninformed bowl of crazy so luckily it's not like we're getting an extra helping.:D

BisonFan02
January 16th, 2012, 06:01 PM

This. Every fanbase has 'em, but it seems ours linger like a bad nightmare...wish a few of them would go "TheFan" and get banned.

penguinpower
January 16th, 2012, 06:13 PM
There are very few of these sorts of NDSU guys left that have no idea of the history of FCS and therefore think that the accomplishments of NDSU are a brand new thing that has never been seen before. You just have to educate these few poor souls and hope they can reconcile it in their own head at some point. Be patient, 90% of the NDSU foks are real sharp guys & gals and we all have these sorts of people in our own bases.

Good Post. Perspective is outstanding.