18 Houston 13-1 518 20
19 Georgia 10-4 439 18
20 Southern Miss 12-2 411 22
21 Virginia Tech 11-3 329 17
22 Clemson 10-4 188 14
23 Florida State 9-4 154 25
24 Nebraska 9-4 143 21
25 Cincinnati 10-3 103 NR
Others receiving votes: Brigham Young 51, Auburn 40, Northern Illinois 33, Missouri 23, Texas 15, Rutgers 3, North Dakota State 2, Penn State 2, Virginia 1

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

HailSzczur
January 10th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Congrats on not 1 but 2 votes
You beat EWU last year who had none

Another that makes me happy with this poll is the lack of a consensus #1 :)

Professor Chaos
January 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
It was probably one voter who put NDSU at #24, still pretty cool though. The Bison got up to #37 in Sagarin's final rankings: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt11.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Hambone
January 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
It was probably one voter who put NDSU at #24, still pretty cool though. The Bison got up to #37 in Sagarin's final rankings: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt11.htm?loc=interstitialskip

There were two that put NDSU at #25. SF Chronicle and someone in Iowa. Saw it on Bisonville with some links - too lazy to go back.

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Alright bison! XD

Apphole
January 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Wow congrats

Sam_Kats
January 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
That's pretty cool.

SpeedkingATL
January 10th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Who is the idiot that voted LSU for #1 after the complete butt kicking last night. I realize Bama and LSU split the series this year but seriously! Congrats to NDSU; from what I saw they should be in the Top 35-40 teams.

HailSzczur
January 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Who is the idiot that voted LSU for #1 after the complete butt kicking last night. I realize Bama and LSU split the series this year but seriously! Congrats to NDSU; from what I saw they should be in the Top 35-40 teams.

Erik Gee, of KNML-AM in Albuquerque, N.M. He had said before the game he was voting LSU no matter what happened.

Mr. C
January 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
North Dakota State got as many votes as Penn State. Nice that the voters put USC ahead of Stanford, even though Stanford BEAT USC, finished with the same record and was a poor kick away from downing No. 3 Oklahoma State in the bowl game.

FargoBison
January 10th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Not sure how OK State gets more 1st place votes than LSU, last time I checked LSU beat the #1, 4, and 5th ranked teams.

Hammerhead
January 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
It just shows what B.S. the BCS is. I still can't believe that 16 team playoff wouldn't generate as much revenue for FBS schools as the bowls do. Especially since some schools lose money if they can't sell enough tickets to fill their half of the stadium.

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
It just shows what B.S. the BCS is. I still can't believe that 16 team playoff wouldn't generate as much revenue for FBS schools as the bowls do. Especially since some schools lose money if they can't sell enough tickets to fill their half of the stadium.

Can the sponsorship exist in the playoff setup? The playoffs would be an NCAA championship event the BCS is exhibition games.

Professor Chaos
January 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM
The BS was really flying on Sportscenter while I was watching over lunch. Robert Smith made two ludicrous excuses first saying that it would be too difficult for these schools to coordinate a playoff game with only 7 days to prepare (it's not like any other schools in FCS, D2, D3, and NAIA already do that). Then he said that the conferences would never agree on a way to seed the teams (because agreeing on the best way to choose only the top 2 teams is sooooo much different and better apparently).

E$PN just signed a giant contract with the BC$ so they'll be shoving the bowl system crap down everyone's throats every single year. Makes me wish even more that CBS or some other network owned the rights to the FCS playoffs who would actually want to promote it as a month long event to show the rest of college football what they're missing out on.

bojeta
January 10th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I would have placed NDSU at #25 on this list. Possibly #24.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I would have placed NDSU at #25 on this list. Possibly #24.

And you would have been as wrong as several other sports writers who voted for anyone other than 'Bama #1. NDSU has a very good football team and are outstanding defensively, but no one should kid themselves about the difference 22 scholarships make. In spite of the odd upset here and there and the defeat of sorry FBS schools like Duke, Minnesota, and New Mexico the FCS vs FBS record isn't even close.

Out of 125 FBS schools, I could see the Top of FCS landing in the 70's or 80's playing a full FBS schedule without the 22 scholarships. Calling NDSU or any other FCS Champion #35 overall is as asinine as some GSU fans harping on yards and points scored on Alabama as if that means anything. In fact, the superstitious side of me says that kind of talk is exactly what precedes an ***-whippin'.

That's not taking anything away from NDSU - good season, congrats, great defense, etc

Professor Chaos
January 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
And you would have been as wrong as several other sports writers who voted for anyone other than 'Bama #1. NDSU has a very good football team and are outstanding defensively, but no one should kid themselves about the difference 22 scholarships make. In spite of the odd upset here and there and the defeat of sorry FBS schools like Duke, Minnesota, and New Mexico the FCS vs FBS record isn't even close.

Out of 125 FBS schools, I could see the Top of FCS landing in the 70's or 80's playing a full FBS schedule without the 22 scholarships. Calling NDSU or any other FCS Champion #35 overall is as asinine as some GSU fans harping on yards and points scored on Alabama as if that means anything. In fact, the superstitious side of me says that kind of talk is exactly what precedes an ***-whippin'.
Over a full season you're right but in a one game scenario I'd feel pretty good about NDSU taking on the teams in the 25-35 range. I think they'd have a more than legitimate shot at beating those teams.

That's not taking anything away from NDSU - good season, congrats, great defense, etc
Over the course of a season you're right but in a one game scenario I'd feel pretty good about NDSU matching up with those teams in the 25-35 range. They'd have a more than legitimate shot at beating any one of them.

sgt smash
January 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I think putting a top FCS team in the 70s is a little low. I know 22 scholarships is still 22 scholarships but did you see some of the BS Bowl Games this year. The one with the Ragin Caguns was my favorite. Pretty sure the Patriot League would have handed them their asses. The FCS is nowhere near the level of FBS teams but I would say you could easily put several teams in or around the 50 mark. Still alot of cupcakes there too.

Cocky
January 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Over the course of a season you're right but in a one game scenario I'd feel pretty good about NDSU matching up with those teams in the 25-35 range. They'd have a more than legitimate shot at beating any one of them.

Makes you a Boise or similiar team which isnt all bad.
Im just glad mine team got a few FCS votes.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 10th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Agreed. The one-game scenario (like Minnesota this year) shouldn't warrant an FBS ranking though. I heard plenty of people, including Alabama fans, talking about how GSU could beat Ole' Miss, Kentucky, Auburn, Vanderbilt, etc. They were making the same mistake. I know GSU, as it is, would finish dead last in the SEC and probably near the bottom of even the Sunbelt playing a full FBS schedule.

No matter how good some of our schools are at the FCS level, we're still fielding teams made up of players who were overlooked or unwanted by the "Big Boys" simply because they had even better players to accept. On top of that, they have 22 extra players on full scholarship (no partials in FBS) who are third or lower on the depth chart and would likely be a player on our teams. It's not a question of one school being better than another, it's just simple math.

TheBisonator
January 10th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Agreed. The one-game scenario (like Minnesota this year) shouldn't warrant an FBS ranking though. I heard plenty of people, including Alabama fans, talking about how GSU could beat Ole' Miss, Kentucky, Auburn, Vanderbilt, etc. They were making the same mistake. I know GSU, as it is, would finish dead last in the SEC and probably near the bottom of even the Sunbelt playing a full FBS schedule.

No matter how good some of our schools are at the FCS level, we're still fielding teams made up of players who were overlooked or unwanted by the "Big Boys" simply because they had even better players to accept. On top of that, they have 22 extra players on full scholarship (no partials in FBS) who are third or lower on the depth chart and would likely be a player on our teams. It's not a question of one school being better than another, it's just simple math.

I disagree on your Sun Belt remark. GSU would have competed for the Sun Belt championship this year. Just like I think NDSU could have competed for the MAC championship.

caribbeanhen
January 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Lafayette 1,

they got a vote in the USA Poll

The Eagle's Cliff
January 10th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I disagree on your Sun Belt remark. GSU would have competed for the Sun Belt championship this year. Just like I think NDSU could have competed for the MAC championship.

Sunbelt might be stretching it, but I know how much injuries depleted our defense this year and how much a couple more kids on the depth chart could've made a difference. We had to put #1 McKinnon on defense for the playoffs and he was one of our biggest offensive weapons. Look around your team and think about the recruits in recent years you lost to MAC schools or Minnesota or the preferred walk-ons that went on scholarship to another school because you didn't have enough to offer.

Most of us who play FBS schools know that we can compete for the first 2 or 3 quarters and the depth issue will be the difference in winning or losing in the 4th quarter. As good as Sam Houston was, they needed overtime to defeat a dismal New Mexico squad who only defeated another horrible team in UNLV the whole season. The Lobos put 45 on SHSU's "stout" defense, but only managed a combined 99 points in their other 11 games.

So, the #2 team in FCS beat the worst team in the Mountain West (1-11) 48-45 in OT. There's as much difference between non-AQ FBS and FCS as there is between Pioneer and Top Tier FCS.

SU DOG
January 10th, 2012, 07:59 PM
DITTO everything The Eagles Cliff said. Intelligent analysis.

FargoBison
January 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Sunbelt might be stretching it, but I know how much injuries depleted our defense this year and how much a couple more kids on the depth chart could've made a difference. We had to put #1 McKinnon on defense for the playoffs and he was one of our biggest offensive weapons. Look around your team and think about the recruits in recent years you lost to MAC schools or Minnesota or the preferred walk-ons that went on scholarship to another school because you didn't have enough to offer.

Most of us who play FBS schools know that we can compete for the first 2 or 3 quarters and the depth issue will be the difference in winning or losing in the 4th quarter. As good as Sam Houston was, they needed overtime to defeat a dismal New Mexico squad who only defeated another horrible team in UNLV the whole season. The Lobos put 45 on SHSU's "stout" defense, but only managed a combined 99 points in their other 11 games.

So, the #2 team in FCS beat the worst team in the Mountain West (1-11) 48-45 in OT. There's as much difference between non-AQ FBS and FCS as there is between Pioneer and Top Tier FCS.

For NDSU there are no MAC level schools in our region, it is either BCS or FCS and that changes recruiting. NDSU actually fairs very well vs MAC schools in recruiting(probably because they are recruiting out of their region) and MN rarely gets a kid we want to walk on.

SHSU is a very young team that got better as their season went along, not sure I'm going to define much based on one early game.

I think NDSU would win or finish very highly the MAC or Sun Belt. In 2007 I watched an NDSU team beat the eventual MAC champ by 30 points, those conferences just aren't very good and they haven't been for a while. The top tier FCS schools in my opinion have better coaching and are better supported and that plus some other things can close the scholarship gap. NDSU's walk on program for example is very, very good. We have had a number of walk on players make an impact before graduating.

Also Jerry Kill(MN's coach) said being FCS can give schools an advantage since they can take more risks on recruits. Some of NDSU's best players were those risk recruits that coach Bohl took in.

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Lafayette 1,

they got a vote in the USA Poll

Louisiana-Lafayette lololol

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 08:45 PM

NDSU is a better program and school than most MAC teams.

We don't lose every recruiting battle against FBS teams. You might.

Just in the last year or two, we beat Wyoming and Air Force if memory serves.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/108061/marcus-horne

Offers

AKRON MAC
BALL STATE MAC
CENTRAL MICHIGAN MAC
Isu-r
Uni

Committed to NDSU.

I mean I realize you know everything. But really, we dont lose them all.

We would however lose every battle with an SEC team.

I wanna say it was Ojuri who was offered by UNM or NMSU and Northern Illinois, and he chose ndsu. Might of been a different player.

We beat some low level FBS schools in recruiting battles every year.

Grant Olson was offered by Army and Wyoming, and had a prefered walk on for the gophers. And he chose NDSU, etc etc etc.

I-16Bandit
January 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Cool story bro, but Georgia Southern received a vote without having to win the National Championship. :D

Hambone
January 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
NDSU is a better program and school than most MAC teams.

We don't lose every recruiting battle against FBS teams. You might.

Just in the last year or two, we beat Wyoming and Air Force if memory serves.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/108061/marcus-horne

Offers

AKRON MAC
BALL STATE MAC
CENTRAL MICHIGAN MAC
Isu-r
Uni

Committed to NDSU.

I mean I realize you know everything. But really, we dont lose them all.

We would however lose every battle with an SEC team.

I wanna say it was Ojuri who was offered by UNM or NMSU and Northern Illinois, and he chose ndsu. Might of been a different player.

We beat some low level FBS schools in recruiting battles every year.

Marcus Horne is not an NDSU commit. The ESPN site is wrong. He very well might eventually, but he's not.

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Cool story bro, but Georgia Southern received a vote without having to win the National Championship. :D

Thats awesome! I hope you keep getting them cause you arent winning another NC anytime soon. :p

They are belong to us!

Twentysix
January 10th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Marcus Horne is not an NDSU commit. The ESPN site is wrong. He very well might eventually, but he's not.

If you insist, that still changes nothing we beat low level FBS schools in recruiting every year.

To suggest NDSU couldn't compete in the MAC cause they get every player they want over NDSU is bizzare.

Especially if 5 MAC teams met their doom in the fargodome in said hypothetical year.. The difference right now is every single FBS game is played on the road and they get 22 more schollys.

Hambone
January 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM
If you insist, that still changes nothing we beat low level FBS schools in recruiting every year.

To suggest NDSU couldn't compete in the MAC cause they get every player they want over NDSU is bizzare.

Especially if 5 MAC teams met their doom in the fargodome in said hypothetical year.. The difference right now is every single FBS game is played on the road and they get 22 more schollys.

Didn't mean to sound like a dick :) But it was reported on wissports.net that he did not commit, which was discussed a couple different times on bisonville. They could probably compete in the MAC, but week in week out may be tough.

LakesBison
January 11th, 2012, 10:45 AM
hambone. that was justin juckem's offer sheet, not horne's I believe.

steelbison
January 11th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Could NDSU compete in the MAC? No question. Right now!! Give us 22 more scholies and playing at home half the time and were in it every year.

I watched our 2007 team destroy the MAC champs on their field. Physically dominated them.

One thing we do very well is develop players. That's the only way a team that gets kids the Gophers don't want and beat them 2 of the last 3 times we have played.

If we were in the MAC our talent level would increase because other than the Gophers we would be the only other FBS team in the area.

Just my xtwocentsx

bojeta
January 11th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Your oppinion and you're entitled to it. For the record, I had Bama ranked #1 all season and picked up a cool $1000 bucks on the outcome of the game. I also watch quite a bit of FCS, FBS/BCS and FCS vs FBS every year. I witnessed the strong showing by Georgia Southern against Alabama and other impressive FCS FBS matchups. I stand by my #25 ranking for NDSU.

PS.... I was not suggesting that the top FCS team deserves a top 25 FBS ranking every year. I just feel that NDSU exhibited that level of talent this year. I understand the 22 scholarship difference, however, on occasion, the impact of that difference is felt more in depth than in top talent. If a team can keep it's starters healthy to the end, they can find themselves in that position. This of course supports the argument against winning any FBS conference because it would be unlikely an FCS team could maintain the health of its starters.

Twentysix
January 11th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Your oppinion and you're entitled to it. For the record, I had Bama ranked #1 all season and picked up a cool $1000 bucks on the outcome of the game. I also watch quite a bit of FCS, FBS/BCS and FCS vs FBS every year. I witnessed the strong showing by Georgia Southern against Alabama and other impressive FCS FBS matchups. I stand by my #25 ranking for NDSU.

PS.... I was not suggesting that the top FCS team deserves a top 25 FBS ranking every year. I just feel that NDSU exhibited that level of talent this year. I understand the 22 scholarship difference, however, on occasion, the impact of that difference is felt more in depth than in top talent. If a team can keep it's starters healthy to the end, they can find themselves in that position. This of course supports the argument against winning any FBS conference because it would be unlikely an FCS team could maintain the health of its starters.

Thats such a weird arguement.

Alabama couldn't win the Missouri valley if they only had 15 scholarships...

See I can play handicaps too.

P.s. I appreciate your vote.

frozennorth
January 12th, 2012, 04:45 AM
the mac was top heavy this year, ndsu probably wouldn't win it but would be in the hunt and get a passable bowl game. NDSU would do well in the sunbelt or wac this year, however. Georgia southern, if they could mostly avoid the injuries, would be top contender in the sunbelt. If you scheduled these teams more often, you would probably have a similar opinion.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 12th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Georgia southern, if they could mostly avoid the injuries, would be top contender in the sunbelt. If you scheduled these teams more often, you would probably have a similar opinion.

The only reason we play FBS opponents is for a paycheck that we need and it works as a recruiting tool to tell high school kids we've got LSU, Florida, UGA, and Ga Tech on the schedule the next few seasons. In spite of their chances of winning, I think the kids get excited about playing in those venues.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 12th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Could NDSU compete in the MAC? No question. Right now!! Give us 22 more scholies and playing at home half the time and were in it every year.

I watched our 2007 team destroy the MAC champs on their field. Physically dominated them.

One thing we do very well is develop players. That's the only way a team that gets kids the Gophers don't want and beat them 2 of the last 3 times we have played.

If we were in the MAC our talent level would increase because other than the Gophers we would be the only other FBS team in the area.

Just my xtwocentsx

Agree 100%

With 22 more schollies we could beat the Gophers every year!

BisonHype!
January 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I strongly agree with an earlier post stating that the Bison have a good chance against in a one game matchup against some of these teams ranked in the 20-30 range. In anygivensaturday, anything can happen. Defense is the ultimate equalizer, and if you can keep a game close, and give the little guy confidence.....anyone can be on upset alert.

BisonHype!
January 12th, 2012, 11:33 AM

Just my xtwocentsx

I don't see the Gophers scheduling the Bison again any time soon. That Gopher Fan Base has to be getting sick of their Big Ten team getting tossed around by a better NDSU team. I don't believe with the track record that they have going, that alot of FBS teams would want to play the Bison, the App States, UNI, Montana. It is a season killer, and fanbase nightmare, losing to an FCS Team that has less scholarships. When you know someone has a good FCS program, and you are an FBS Athletic Director, you want a FCS Cupcake, not to get upset in your own house. I have no idea what the hell Minnesota was thinking scheduling the Bison multiple times. The Gopher Forums were littered with fans saying "For the love of god, quit scheduling NDSU!" It was quite humorous.

darell1976
January 12th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I don't see the Gophers scheduling the Bison again any time soon. That Gopher Fan Base has to be getting sick of their Big Ten team getting tossed around by a better NDSU team. I don't believe with the track record that they have going, that alot of FBS teams would want to play the Bison, the App States, UNI, Montana. It is a season killer, and fanbase nightmare, losing to an FCS Team that has less scholarships. When you know someone has a good FCS program, and you are an FBS Athletic Director, you want a FCS Cupcake, not to get upset in your own house. I have no idea what the hell Minnesota was thinking scheduling the Bison multiple times. The Gopher Forums were littered with fans saying "For the love of god, quit scheduling NDSU!" It was quite humorous.

I don't see the Goofs scheduling any Dakota team remember the last road win by South Dakota was against Minnesota.xlolx

BisonHype!
January 12th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I would say the Gophers don't want to play anyone with Dakota in their name anytime soon.

darell1976
January 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I would say the Gophers don't want to play anyone with Dakota in their name anytime soon.

Except tomorrow and Satuday. Even in our house the Gophers are NOT the favorite.

BisonHype!
January 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Except tomorrow and Satuday. Even in our house the Gophers are NOT the favorite.

The Gophers have been a .500 team since sweeping the Sioux in Minny, and the Sioux have been 8-2, so this is in their favor. Even without the hot streak, the Sioux are going to be favored in the Ralph. I think it will probably be a split, but wouldn't be suprised if the Sioux sweep this week.

darell1976
January 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
The Gophers have been a .500 team since sweeping the Sioux in Minny, and the Sioux have been 8-2, so this is in their favor. Even without the hot streak, the Sioux are going to be favored in the Ralph. I think it will probably be a split, but wouldn't be suprised if the Sioux sweep this week.

I am sure the only thing guaranteed is there will be a big hockey fight!! Its called hated rivals!!

The Eagle's Cliff
January 12th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Minnesota has only won 41% of their games in the last 30 years and the Big 10 stock in general has plummeted.

UNHFan
January 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Congrats that is pretty cool... what I want to know is who the idiot is that gave LSU a number 1 vote

Twentysix
January 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Congrats that is pretty cool... what I want to know is who the idiot is that gave LSU a number 1 vote

Just a guess, a sports writer from Louisiana?

Wilson16
January 12th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Louisiana-Lafayette lololol

Maybe someone confused them with LSU. It's happened before.

coldspot
January 12th, 2012, 05:54 PM

somebody trying to spite the BCS?

Twentysix
January 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Maybe someone confused them with LSU. It's happened before.

It was a single 25th place vote, No one confused them. The person I quoted thought ULL was Lafayette of the patriot league a 4-7 FCS team.

LakesBison
January 22nd, 2012, 07:09 PM
NDSU SHOULD BE FBS THIS STUFF BORES ME