PDA

View Full Version : Who are some potential draft picks from your team?

sgt smash
January 9th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I was talking with a guy today on a message board who said that none of the guys in the FCS championship would ever play a down in the NFL. After a couple examples he didn't have much else to say. So, who does your school have thats Sunday serviceable?

344Johnson
January 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Marcus Williams could potentially be in the NFL. I could see Billy Turner(LT) in the NFL someday but I would definitely have less confidence in that. Mel Kiper said Matt Veldman (TE) was a guy to look at as potentially making a team because of his height. Sam Houston State had some excellent athletes on their team and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a guy or two from them make a team.

cbarrier90
January 9th, 2012, 12:33 AM
http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/attachments/2011/09/8_scoresTD.jpg

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/MQ/MQKWUJRSWWATEUG.20101120222251.jpg

^ This guy

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 9th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Spadola but he'll be back :D

Lum and Groome will be FA pickups for sure imo. Lum could be a late rounder if he wows the scouts over the next few months. WR Jake Drawl might sneak into a camp or two as well.

MarkyMark
January 9th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I feel there will be several Bison seniors that get tryouts and free agent contracts in the NFL but in my opinion Paul Cornick has the best chance of getting drafted.

Paul Cornick Right Tackle, 6'6, 309 pounds
NDSU Bison
Release: 08/01/2011
* 2011 Missouri Valley Football Conference Preseason Team
* 2011 Phil Steele’s FCS College Preview All-MVFC First Team
* 2011 FCS Senior Scout Bowl Preseason North All-America Second Team
* 2010 All-Missouri Valley Football Conference Second Team
* Two-time 2010 MVFC Offensive Lineman of the Week
* MVFC Honor Roll

MarkyMark
January 9th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I was talking with a guy today on a message board who said that none of the guys in the FCS championship would ever play a down in the NFL. After a couple examples he didn't have much else to say. So, who does your school have thats Sunday serviceable?

I remember one of the local sports experts for KFAN in the Twin Cities saying none of the guys from the Gophers/Bison matchup in 2006 would play in the NFL. Off the 2006 Bison squad we have 2 NFL starters, Craig Dahl a safety for St. Louis and Joe Mays a Middle Linebacker for the Broncos. Ramone Humber, a linebacker is also on the Saints roster. I don't know how a person can watch one game and think they can make a judgement like that.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Lum might be a late round draft pick, in Bo Levi Mitchell territory. Other than that, my fearless prediction is that the first FCS player to go will be a defensive player, even though Mr. Quick is forecast to be a top three round possibility.

asumike83
January 9th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I know I am a homer but I would be surprised if Brian Quick is not the first FCS player taken. He's been projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick and playing a high profile skill position on offense, I think he is probably more well known among the NFL circles than some of the other great FCS players with NFL futures.

Quick is probably the only ASU player drafted this year. DeAndre Presley may have a shot to make a roster/practice squad as a DB/WR/PR type, same for Travaris Cadet. Both great athletes but neither will be able to play their college positions at the next level.

tribefan40
January 9th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Not sure if any tribesters get a look in the draft (Grimes and Gottlieb would be the most likely), but the following should/could get a look in some camps and might make a team:

J. Grimes RB
A. Gottlieb TE
J. Pagliaro C
M. Hyde DE/LB
M. Paulus QB

smallcollegefbfan
January 9th, 2012, 09:41 AM

NDSU may have two combine invites this year in Veldman and Cornick. Both are definite late round types.

smallcollegefbfan
January 9th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Marcus Williams could potentially be in the NFL. I could see Billy Turner(LT) in the NFL someday but I would definitely have less confidence in that. Mel Kiper said Matt Veldman (TE) was a guy to look at as potentially making a team because of his height. Sam Houston State had some excellent athletes on their team and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a guy or two from them make a team.

Cornick is the best one at this point on their OL.

Williams is a definite prospect in two years.

Veldman is more than just a height guy. He can run and really improved as a blocker. Has good hands, too.

smallcollegefbfan
January 9th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I feel there will be several Bison seniors that get tryouts and free agent contracts in the NFL but in my opinion Paul Cornick has the best chance of getting drafted.

Paul Cornick Right Tackle, 6'6, 309 pounds
NDSU Bison
Release: 08/01/2011
* 2011 Missouri Valley Football Conference Preseason Team
* 2011 Phil Steele’s FCS College Preview All-MVFC First Team
* 2011 FCS Senior Scout Bowl Preseason North All-America Second Team
* 2010 All-Missouri Valley Football Conference Second Team
* Two-time 2010 MVFC Offensive Lineman of the Week
* MVFC Honor Roll

Not saying these guys will all make rosters but McNorton, Eaves, Boyer, Richard, and Holloway are other possible pro players somewhere. And I think at least 3-5 will get in a camp from NDSU this year.

smallcollegefbfan
January 9th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Lum might be a late round draft pick, in Bo Levi Mitchell territory. Other than that, my fearless prediction is that the first FCS player to go will be a defensive player, even though Mr. Quick is forecast to be a top three round possibility.

Lum is not a NFL prospect at all. He doesn't have the arm strength. Bo Levi Mitchell would get drafted if he were 2 inches taller.

Quick WILL be the first FCS player taken. He could go in the first round. Steed is probably the highest rated defensive player as a likely 2nd or 3rd round pick.

smallcollegefbfan
January 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Here is a list of FCS guys who will either be drafted or are on the radar with a good shot to be taken:

Pos First Name Last Name School
WR Brian Quick Appalachian State
CB Asa Jackson Cal Poly
CB Josh Norman Coastal Carolina
OT Jeff Adams Columbia
CB Ryan Steed Furman
CB Micah Pellerin Hampton
WO Chris Summers Liberty
FB Emil Igwenagu Massachusetts
FS Trumaine Johnson Montana
TE Matt Veldman North Dakota State
OG Paul Cornick North Dakota State
DT Ronnie Cameron Old Dominion
DC Justin Bethel Presbyterian College
SS Corey White Samford
FS Christian Thompson South Carolina State
OT Tom Compton South Dakota
QB B.J. Coleman Tennessee Chattanooga
OH Jonathan Grimes William & Mary

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I think Veldman, though his playoff play, got himself on the draft board as a mid-to-late rounder. He looks like an NFL-type player.

Walkon79
January 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I think Elvis Akpla has a shot, probably as a free agent.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Not a chance. People with connections to the league tell me that Quick could be off the board as early as the first round and will definitely be gone by round two. Ryan Steed, the Furman CB, will probably be the next player to get a call a little later.

My sources are not high on Lum getting drafted at all. Arm strength is his biggest issue (like most FCS quarterbacks). He also could use more mobility.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I think Veldman, though his playoff play, got himself on the draft board as a mid-to-late rounder. He looks like an NFL-type player.

Veldman is highly thought of by the NFL folks.

Grizcountry420
January 9th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Here is a list of FCS guys who will either be drafted or are on the radar with a good shot to be taken:

Pos First Name Last Name School
WR Brian Quick Appalachian State
CB Asa Jackson Cal Poly
CB Josh Norman Coastal Carolina
OT Jeff Adams Columbia
CB Ryan Steed Furman
CB Micah Pellerin Hampton
WO Chris Summers Liberty
FB Emil Igwenagu Massachusetts
FS Trumaine Johnson Montana
TE Matt Veldman North Dakota State
OG Paul Cornick North Dakota State
DT Ronnie Cameron Old Dominion
DC Justin Bethel Presbyterian College
SS Corey White Samford
FS Christian Thompson South Carolina State
OT Tom Compton South Dakota
QB B.J. Coleman Tennessee Chattanooga
OH Jonathan Grimes William & Mary

Invited to the NFL Combine

Mr. C
January 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM

A lot of the other guys on that list have also been invited to the combine. Look for a column on FCS players and the NFL combine later this week at www.college-sports-journal.com.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 9th, 2012, 10:14 AM
CB Trumaine Johnson

Winner winner chicken dinner. There's your high rounder. I think it will be closer than people think between Quick and Johnson for first player picked.

Mr. C
January 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Trumaine Johnson has off-field issues and will probably be a late-round pick. Some people I've talked to think he could even fall out of the draft altogether, because of the off-field problems. The NFL really frowns on that type of stuff with non-BCS/FBS guys in today's pro football world ... unless you are the Raiders, or Bengals (Ha, Ha).

TTUEagles
January 9th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Tennessee Tech's WR Tim Benford...A lot of NFL scouts at TTU practices/games this year to watch him and TTU's punter.
Tim has also been selected to play in the East/West Shrine game.

PAllen
January 9th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Spadola but he'll be back :D

Lum and Groome will be FA pickups for sure imo. Lum could be a late rounder if he wows the scouts over the next few months. WR Jake Drawl might sneak into a camp or two as well.

This ^

Sammy94
January 9th, 2012, 12:23 PM

One of the best catches I have seen on any level during the Sam game.
As for the draft this year, I don't see any guys from Sam. We have a team full of Sophmores and Juniors.
Flanders will be in the near future as long as he stays healthy.

Brad82
January 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM
URI-Willie McGinness-DT

Kemo
January 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM
With the success of the converted basketball players in the NFL like Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates, don't be surprised to see Dale Moss climb up the draft boards after some workouts.

The 6'4", 210 lbs Moss played 4 years of basketball for South Dakota State before deciding to use his 5th year of eligibility to play football for the Jackrabbits.

The result: 61 receptions for 949 yards and 6 TDs, which is pretty incredible being that he barely stepped on the field till his first start in the 3rd game of the year.

He'll also be playing in the East-West Shrine Game on January 21st. (http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=64624&SPID=7153&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205356609&DB_OEM_ID=15000)

Here is a combination basketball/football highlight video of Dale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycby0P7End8

344Johnson
January 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM
With the success of the converted basketball players in the NFL like Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates, don't be surprised to see Dale Moss climb up the draft boards after some workouts.

Can't imagine him getting drafted. but he is a good player regardless.

UCABEARS75
January 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM
QB Nathan Dick at UCA getting looks. Every NFL team has come down to see him, being told chance at 6th Ed or so.

6'4", 220

HailSzczur
January 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Just run that catch against Sam Houston on repeat for the NFL Scouts and he'll get picked for sure.

HailSzczur
January 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM
CB James Pitts is our best bet. It starts and ends there for Nova. Pitts had a monster Senior year with his coming out party against UMass. However I would be very pleasantly surprised if his name got called. He will end up at someone's camp and I'm predicting will latch on as a practice squad player. I could see him ending up like Ray Ventrone did with the Patriots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID5dmQCywgs&feature=related