PDA

View Full Version : NDSU 2011 defense vs. UD 2003 defense

blueballs
January 8th, 2012, 08:17 AM
As I watched the game yesterday, and with what NDSU did to GSU in the semis fresh in my mind, I said to myself, "Self, the two best defenses at this level in recent history are this bunch I'm watching play and UD's bunch in 2003. How do they compare?"

Both defenses got it done in the playoffs BIG TIME. What NDSU did the last two games against GSU and SHSU was really impressive- 8 quarters, 13 points, 1 TD.

I'd like to see what some of the other old timers have to say about a comparsion between the two great defenses.

caribbeanhen
January 8th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Delaware had some great ones - Mondoe Davis, Chris Mooney, and of course future NFL player Mike "Pops" Adams, but probably the biggest difference maker on that team was DE Sean Johnson - very similar to your #66...... hard to compare that D to yesterdays performance, but I will say this - Shutting down Sam Houston with all that talent more impressive than shutting down Colgate

Twentysix
January 8th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Gurantee some of the players that took the field yesterday will play in the NFL, on both teams.

Wouldn't be surprised if Colton Heagle(#20 Safety, NDSU) ends up being a pro bowl caliber player.

BisonHype!
January 8th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Might get some scouts to Fargo to check out a couple players. I don't wanna over do it, and say Pro Bowl, but definitely could be a solid player.

Twentysix
January 8th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Like I said, wouldn't be surprised. He is only a (true)sophomore and he is already playing at an unbelivably high level. In 2014 he is gonna be quite the player.

Houndawg
January 8th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Both of those defenses beat an SIU offense during their run. The UD team beat a better Saluki offense and beat them much worse, not to take anything from the Bisons who held SIU under 300 yards and had a huge goal line stand, but we still had an RB run for 120 yards against a stacked box. I think the UD team was more steel curtain and NDSU is more bend don't break. Same result, congratulations to the National Champion Bisons!

Houndawg
January 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Like I said, wouldn't be surprised. He is only a (true)sophomore and he is already playing at an unbelivably high level. In 2014 he is gonna be quite the player.

Jesus don't jinx him. Can't count the number of players who peaked before their senior year due to injury or what have you. Things look great for the future on paper and then things don't work out like they were supposed to on paper, a class here an ankle sprain there.....