PDA

View Full Version : All time wins in college football since 1945

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1aa.htm

I can't remember if this was ever posted, but its interesting where everyone stacks up with wins. All conferences have been updated (there is no GWFC those teams have been moved to the BSC/MVFC).

#1 in the Big Sky!!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
The PL is the only conference that doesn't have a member with a .600+ winning percentage. That's extremely hard to believe. I assumed Georgetown's overall record was better.

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I was suprised with all the dropped football programs by the big "basketball" schools. I guess they had to fund one or the other.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Does anyone have total W/L's, win % for FCS/1AA games only? Lehigh and Colgate would be pretty high up i would have to guess.

HailSzczur
January 3rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
I was suprised with all the dropped football programs by the big "basketball" schools. I guess they had to fund one or the other.

Hofstra with 381 wins ranks well ahead of many of the current schools. What a shame they dropped football

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1aa.htm

I can't remember if this was ever posted, but its interesting where everyone stacks up with wins. All conferences have been updated (there is no GWFC those teams have been moved to the BSC/MVFC).

#1 in the Big Sky!!!!

But you'd be 3rd in the MVFC and 2nd in your own state. xwhistlex

DFW HOYA
January 3rd, 2012, 05:06 PM
The PL is the only conference that doesn't have memember with a .600+ winning percentage. That's extremely hard to believe. I assumed Georgetown's overall record was better.

Georgetown didn't field a varsity from 1951-63, so that deflates the total. Also, its 1964 through 1969 records are not included at that site.

The all time record is 491-383-32 (.559)

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
But you'd be 3rd in the MVFC and 2nd in your own state. xwhistlex

Actually if you click schools by state UND is 4th behind NDSU, Mary, and Dickinson State.:(

Bogus Megapardus
January 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
What is the significance of limiting the results to 1945 and beyond?

Here are the top 10 in FCS in all-time wins:

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2231/alltimefcs.png

Source: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2011/FCS.pdf

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Actually if you click schools by state UND is 4th behind NDSU, Mary, and Dickinson State.:(

That's not nearly as awesome as the Goofers being behind Moorhead State.

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM

Maybe the guy who made the list decided to start after WWII.

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
That's not nearly as awesome as the Goofers being behind Moorhead State.

Northern State leads SD with SDSU 3rd and USD 5th.

LakesBison
January 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
its TITLE week, who cares!

darell1976
January 3rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
its TITLE week, who cares!

Sorry the world doesn't revolve around NDSU.

eaglewraith
January 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Tops in winning percentage?

With an average of .724....Georgia Southern (Old Dominion is officially number 1 but you've got a big skew there because they don't even have 50 games overall, that'll sort itself out over time)

We'd also be in the top 5 in all of Division 1. (USA and ODU are outliers at this point)

TheBisonator
January 3rd, 2012, 05:37 PM

The Goofs are behind most schools. Going 50 years with winning anywhere between 2-5 games most seasons will do that.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Tops in winning percentage?

With an average of .724....Georgia Southern (Old Dominion is officially number 1 but you've got a big skew there because they don't even have 50 games overall, that'll sort itself out over time)

We'd also be in the top 5 in all of Division 1. (USA and ODU are outliers at this point)

One could contend having played half the games of a lot of the other teams would also skew a little.

eaglewraith
January 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
One could contend having played half the games of a lot of the other teams would also skew a little.

I would accept that if we also weren't the winningest team in the playoffs, as well as 6 time National Champions. If we were just winning a lot of games and not doing anything else it would have less merit.

Although we've only been around for 30 years, we've done a lot more in that time than ANY other program has.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
I would accept that if we also weren't the winningest team in the playoffs, as well as 6 time National Champions. If we were just winning a lot of games and not doing anything else it would have less merit.

Although we've only been around for 30 years, we've done a lot more in that time than ANY other program has.

So Georgia Southern is the greatest team in the history of college football?

DFW HOYA
January 3rd, 2012, 06:15 PM

Fordham's numbers are considerably exaggerated, the CFB Data Warehouse total is 451-431-45.

Here's why--from 1881 through 1919, Fordham "played" as many as 40 games a year, most against teams that would hardly qualify as intercollegiate competition--athletic clubs, high schools, CYO teams, even the "Fordham Reserves"...that's right, the "B" team.

In the link below, go to page 13 and see some of these schedules. In one season, 1886, there are ten wins without even identifying the name of the opponent. Here's the 1895 schedule--are there any college teams on the schedule?

Fordham Prep 0-8, L
Fordham Prep 6-12, L
Olympics 12-0, W
Sylvans 16-6, W
Volunteers 6-0, W
Olympics 18-12, W
St. Francis Xavier 6-0, W
Sagamore Athletic Club 16-6, W
Belmont Athletic Club 6-24, L
Sylvans 12-0, W
Jerome Club 10-4, W
Verona Boat Club 12-6, W
Hawthorne Athletic Club 16-12, W
Fordham Freshmen 10-0, W
Fordham Reserves 26-16, W
Fordham Reserves 20-10, W
Dominican 30-6, W
St. Agnes Lyceum 47-12, W
Maroons 12-0, W
Maroons 18-0, W
Maroons 20-0, W
Dauntless 6-10, L
Sagamore 0-12, L
Resolute 0-10, L
Invincibles 18-0, W
Volunteers 30-10, W
St. Peter’s 7-0, W
Mumbles 18-6, W
Mumbles 18-0, W
Maroons 24-0, W

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ford/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/Records.pdf

eaglewraith
January 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM

In my opinion, in terms of this division, then yes but I would add the caveat of it being the modern era. I would imagine other fellow fans would share that opinion. Who else, in this division, has accomplished more at this current time?

The stats do back that up to some degree. Can you argue the results? I'm basing my opinion on math and results...what else should I base it on?

frozennorth
January 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
I think most people are fine with gsu being the best pedigreed program in the fcs, just like every is fine with ndsu being the most pedigreed team in d2. The real issue is who is the best pedigreed lower division team overall, which is probably GSU, but i think NDSU will be stating it's case over the next 3-5 years. If it's 2016, and NDSU is sitting on two or three fcs titles on top of the 8 d2 titles, I think they will have a pretty solid case for being the big kid on our small block.

Gil Dobie
January 3rd, 2012, 06:46 PM

Per the 2011 season, NDSU is now tied at #10 with Dayton at 627.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 07:02 PM

Team? He's talking about overall program and if you just stack up facts and don't start with all the other superfluous crap like USC did this and Texas has this, and Michigan holds 110,000...then yeah they have a real good ranking and are undeniably one of the top programs all time.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
I think most people are fine with gsu being the best pedigreed program in the fcs, just like every is fine with ndsu being the most pedigreed team in d2. The real issue is who is the best pedigreed lower division team overall, which is probably GSU, but i think NDSU will be stating it's case over the next 3-5 years. If it's 2016, and NDSU is sitting on two or three fcs titles on top of the 8 d2 titles, I think they will have a pretty solid case for being the big kid on our small block.

I think Delaware and several others have a few D2 titles. I can't be sure because I think they realize it doesn't mean a whole lot here. It's impressive and a great part of the Bison history but it really doesn't translate to what GSU has done in the division, App did a few years ago, etc...

But it doesn't matter anyway. If you guys were to win a couple titles in the next 4 yrs. then you'd be considered a big dog in this division anyway.

frozennorth
January 3rd, 2012, 07:16 PM
I think Delaware and several others have a few D2 titles. I can't be sure because I think they realize it doesn't mean a whole lot here. It's impressive and a great part of the Bison history but it really doesn't translate to what GSU has done in the division, App did a few years ago, etc...

But it doesn't matter anyway. If you guys were to win a couple titles in the next 4 yrs. then you'd be considered a big dog in this division anyway.

I think from the viewpoint of fbs team, there is little difference between an FCS and a D2 title

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
I think from the viewpoint of fbs team, there is little difference between an FCS and a D2 title

I agree with that. Doesn't matter because the viewpoint of FBS doesn't mean ****. They ain't the sharpest fan group around when it comes to overall football. They know their team, their conference, and possibly 1/2 the top 25 in any given year. I don't care one little bit what FBS thinks.

McNeese75
January 3rd, 2012, 07:25 PM

And who exactly gives a rats *** about the viewpoint of an FBS team?

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 07:26 PM

You said it a lot beter than I.xlolx

frozennorth
January 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM

the point is that fcs schools looking down their nose at d2 teams is pretty ignorant.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
the point is that fcs schools looking down their nose at d2 teams is pretty ignorant.

this, prior to the actual parsing of divisions, all teams were pretty much lumped together anyway and furthermore prior to the reduction of scholarships DII was incredibly competitive. Nobody else has 8 NCAA championships, any division, period.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 08:29 PM
Who the hell was looking down their noses at D2 Championships?

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
I see what it is. Some NDSU guys don't like it that GSU has a better resume as far as FCS goes so you want to divert the discussion...from the diverted discussion.

The GSU guys were talking FCS and the superior resume in that regard because it's what we generally do here.

LakesBison
January 3rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
put this on their resume

35 - 7 !!

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
I see what it is. Some NDSU guys don't like it that GSU has a better resume as far as FCS goes so you want to divert the discussion...from the diverted discussion.

The GSU guys were talking FCS and the superior resume in that regard because it's what we generally do here.

Nope, not at all. This conversation is about teams and wins. The references both talk about teams all time winning records. If you took NDSU's schedule from 1983 going forward, it would look pretty gaudy. As it stands, nobody is begrudging GSU's success but I believe it is in the past. They brought their best against the Bison and came up wanting. Simple as that.

We only have what we have to compare. I believe in the next 20 years, you will see things out of this program that rival the best programs here, make no mistake. There are a lot of big *** trophies sitting in the Bison football office right now, more than anyone else has and we are very proud of them. We will add another in a few days, and many more in the future.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Nope, not at all. This conversation is about teams and wins. The references both talk about teams all time winning records. If you took NDSU's schedule from 1983 going forward, it would look pretty gaudy. As it stands, nobody is begrudging GSU's success but I believe it is in the past. They brought their best against the Bison and came up wanting. Simple as that.

We only have what we have to compare. I believe in the next 20 years, you will see things out of this program that rival the best programs here, make no mistake. There are a lot of big *** trophies sitting in the Bison football office right now, more than anyone else has and we are very proud of them. We will add another in a few days, and many more in the future.

Got it. Just so you know though. It's not the first time I've been wrong.

GSU is the best FCS has ever seen and probably ever will see. Doesn't detract from the fact that NDSU is a great all time program across a couple of divisions and a win in a couple of days just strengthens that position.

Being sort of impartial though I'd personally take GSU's 6 over NDSU's 8. Adding a couple of them at the FCS level would give me something to think about though.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
put this on their resume

35 - 7 !!

Ok, I'll jot that down.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
Got it. Just so you know though. It's not the first time I've been wrong.

GSU is the best FCS has ever seen and probably ever will see. Doesn't detract from the fact that NDSU is a great all time program across a couple of divisions and a win in a couple of days just strengthens that position.

Being sort of impartial though I'd personally take GSU's 6 over NDSU's 8. Adding a couple of them at the FCS level would give me something to think about though.

I'm not trolling but I'm almost 40, I grew up in Fargo, and I really never heard of GSU before this whole FCS thing. In my hometown there was a DII, DIII, and NAIA school so I knew all about them and of course the IA schools but IAA wasn't a big deal, that still speaks to the innate regionality of sub IA teams.

eaglewraith
January 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM

Ok, I have to say this. You played a great game and we got our *** beat. I fully admit that. You were the better team on the field on Dec 17 in all regards. I seriously mean that.

You also didn't see the best we had. Not to say it would have changed the result, but I would think it would have gone closer to the wire. The GSU team that I saw playing in the Fargo Dome was not playing to the same level I expected them to based on prior performances. I would think the players themselves would say they didn't play to the same level they expected of themselves.

All that being said, our success is definitely not in the past. We're just getting started again. We will meet again, and I can't wait to repay the favor of how I felt at the end of the game several weeks ago.

Saint3333
January 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
GSU is the best program at this level during the I-AA/FCS era, if anyone would like to debate this FACT you don't know football. And I HATE GSU.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 3rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
I'm not trolling but I'm almost 40, I grew up in Fargo, and I really never heard of GSU before this whole FCS thing. In my hometown there was a DII, DIII, and NAIA school so I knew all about them and of course the IA schools but IAA wasn't a big deal, that still speaks to the innate regionality of sub IA teams.

That's exactly right. It's the same here. Because of Carrol and th other NAIA I know some of that but didn't follow D2 really at all. 1AA...got the history of that down pretty well also. Haven't carred about the bigs since back when Oklahoma was running the wishbone.

That's one of the selling points of the D2 and FCS and lower divisions to me. You wouldn't know a thing about it unless you have some reason to be. I'ts not McDonald's or some other mass marketed N'sync type ****. You have to care about it to know about it.

sgt smash
January 3rd, 2012, 11:45 PM
put this on their resume

35 - 7 !!

Can Lakes win a post of the week?

BisonFan02
January 4th, 2012, 01:10 AM
NDSU won 3 of their championships prior to the 1978/D-AA era in the College Division...one of those was against Montana with another bowl win over Montana following that championship. Also, the later 5 DII championships were during an era when DII was much more competitive with a larger number of scholarships (not trying necessarily to build them up to anything more than DII championships, but DII today is not even close to what it used to be). That being said, GA Southern is hands down #1 on the FCS Mount Rushmore. Over time, with a larger sample size of champions, I would expect a few schools to close the gap with teams like GA Southern, Youngstown St, App St, etc.

Grizzlies82
January 4th, 2012, 01:39 AM
this, prior to the actual parsing of divisions, all teams were pretty much lumped together anyway and furthermore prior to the reduction of scholarships DII was incredibly competitive. Nobody else has 8 NCAA championships, any division, period.

It is true NDSU has had a great program. Their list of championships throughout the years demonstrates that regardless of the level where they were won. Winning is always a challenge. Winning consistently for even a decade speaks volumes. Only a few dozen schools, at any level, have been able to pull it off. So Bison fans can rightfully take pride in what has been accomplished in establishing and maintaining their program, and bringing home so many Championships.

Yet BisonFan02 stated it well, GSU is clearly at the top of this hill. Perhaps the Bison will get there at this level too. However for now GSU's 6 FCS > NDSU's 8 D-II. While Division II has produced some great teams, if they had been matched up, most years the D-II Champ wouldn't have beaten the 1-AA Champion. Now feel free to tell me I'm wrong. I'm sure some NAIA Carroll College fans know some of their past Champions would have beaten the Division II Champs from the same year. :)

BisonFan02
January 4th, 2012, 02:03 AM
It is true NDSU has had a great program. Their list of championships throughout the years demonstrates that regardless of the level where they were won. Winning is always a challenge. Winning consistently for even a decade speaks volumes. Only a few dozen schools, at any level, have been able to pull it off. So Bison fans can rightfully take pride in what has been accomplished in establishing and maintaining their program, and bringing home so many Championships.

Yet BisonFan02 stated it well, GSU is clearly at the top of this hill. Perhaps the Bison will get there at this level too. However for now GSU's 6 FCS > NDSU's 8 D-II. While Division II has produced some great teams, if they had been matched up, most years the D-II Champ wouldn't have beaten the 1-AA Champion. Now feel free to tell me I'm wrong. I'm sure some NAIA Carroll College fans know some of their past Champions would have beaten the Division II Champs from the same year. :)

I would have taken a few of the 80s Bison teams with Bentrim under center against I-AA schools of that era.

Apphole
January 4th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Who cares about D-2 anything? I mean, I got the "Spanish award" in kindergarten, but that doesn't mean I speak a word of Spanish now....

BisonFan02
January 4th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Who cares about D-2 anything? I mean, I got the "Spanish award" in kindergarten, but that doesn't mean I speak a word of Spanish now....

Wow, I would slow your roll kicking dirt on DII championships. NDSU got their first 3 of them (College Division) while App was still in the NAIA. App St was definately the team of the decade in the 2000s, but past that the resume isn't earth shattering by any means. Don't get me wrong, App St is one of the 4 heads on the FCS Rushmore today, but that seat could be up for grabs over the next few years.

frozennorth
January 4th, 2012, 05:17 AM
GSU is the best program at this level during the I-AA/FCS era, if anyone would like to debate this FACT you don't know football. And I HATE GSU.

noone is debating that.

What i said was if ndsu manages to roll off two or three championships in the next 5 years, i think they would have a strong case for the big dog in the little house, given 8 d2 and 2-3 fcs championships. Idle speculation and hypothesizing.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 4th, 2012, 06:34 AM
When calculating winning percentage, Georgia Southern fluctuates with Grand Valley State at 3rd or 4th behind Notre Dame and Michigan. I'll be the first Georgia Southern fan to say this is because we had two Hall of Fame coaches in Erk Russell and Paul Johnson who put up 38 and 39 Home winning streaks respectively.

I'll also throw out there that Georgia Southern has definitely "done more with less" than anyone in D1 in terms of finances and market. Our entire Athletics budget is still just over $10 Million.

Here's a list of "winningest college football programs" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winningest_college_football_teams that is presented in two different ways. I think a lot of fine football programs with strong traditions are represented.

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2012, 06:45 AM
When calculating winning percentage, Georgia Southern fluctuates with Grand Valley State at 3rd or 4th behind Notre Dame and Michigan. I'll be the first Georgia Southern fan to say this is because we had two Hall of Fame coaches in Erk Russell and Paul Johnson who put up 38 and 39 Home winning streaks respectively.

I'll also throw out there that Georgia Southern has definitely "done more with less" than anyone in D1 in terms of finances and market. Our entire Athletics budget is still just over $10 Million.

Here's a list of "winningest college football programs" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winningest_college_football_teams that is presented in two different ways. I think a lot of fine football programs with strong traditions are represented.

That's an old list from 2010, this one has the option to list by different variables.
CFB Data Warehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/misc/div_iaa_wins.php)

The Eagle's Cliff
January 4th, 2012, 07:18 AM
That's an old list from 2010, this one has the option to list by different variables.
CFB Data Warehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/misc/div_iaa_wins.php)

Great resource site. I prefer to talk about college football in the "modern era" which itself can start post-war 1945 or post-integration 1970. Post-integration 1970 is still different from today's game, but it's a lot closer than the days when the Ivy's were among the only schools playing.

I know for Georgia Southern in the 1920's, the schedule included high schools and pick-up teams from military bases. We weren't even called Georgia Southern until 1959.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 4th, 2012, 07:25 AM
There's a decent chance Lehigh passes or ties Lafayette in all time wins this year. The Leopards have 654, the Hawks 652.

Hammerhead
January 4th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Mount Union has 10 D-III championships so NDSU only has the most championships in D-II or D-I.

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Great resource site. I prefer to talk about college football in the "modern era" which itself can start post-war 1945 or post-integration 1970. Post-integration 1970 is still different from today's game, but it's a lot closer than the days when the Ivy's were among the only schools playing.

I know for Georgia Southern in the 1920's, the schedule included high schools and pick-up teams from military bases. We weren't even called Georgia Southern until 1959.

NDSU really didn't have this great tradition until the mid 1960's. I think the Bison have had 3 losing seasons since the Darrel Mudra stepped on campus.

eaglemachine
January 4th, 2012, 08:05 AM
put this on their resume

35 - 7 !!

Hopefully GSU and the Bison will meet again next year. This year was in it's second year back to the option with reduced scholarships and players recruited for passing offenses. Considering we made it to the semis our first 2 years back, I can't wait to see what we are like next year when some of these redshirts start playing and with one more year of recruiting for our system.

The true freshman running back we played (Swope) was the backup in highschool to the guy that redshirted this year. Hopefully GSU will have a better showing the next time we meet.

DFW HOYA
January 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM

When were "the days when the Ivy's were among the only schools playing"? 1885?

Unless it's a directional school, I'd guess most Division I schools were already playing football by 1900.

NoDak 4 Ever
January 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM

Unless it's a directional school, I'd guess most Division I schools were already playing football by 1900.

NDSU/NDAC first season was 1894

4 years after the college was founded and 5 years after ND was admitted.

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 09:19 AM
NDSU/NDAC first season was 1894

4 years after the college was founded and 5 years after ND was admitted.

UND also started football in 1894..11 years after the college was founded. Too bad UND didn't get a win until 1895. Guess who we lost to twice in 1894.

gotts
January 4th, 2012, 09:44 AM
UND also started football in 1894..11 years after the college was founded. Too bad UND didn't get a win until 1895. Guess who we lost to twice in 1894.

Academy of the Blind?

uni88
January 4th, 2012, 09:52 AM
NDSU won 3 of their championships prior to the 1978/D-AA era in the College Division...one of those was against Montana with another bowl win over Montana following that championship. Also, the later 5 DII championships were during an era when DII was much more competitive with a larger number of scholarships (not trying necessarily to build them up to anything more than DII championships, but DII today is not even close to what it used to be). That being said, GA Southern is hands down #1 on the FCS Mount Rushmore. Over time, with a larger sample size of champions, I would expect a few schools to close the gap with teams like GA Southern, Youngstown St, App St, etc.

One could make an argument that DII was less competitive in the 1980's and beyond due to the movement of schools such as Delaware, Boise State, Youngstown State, etc. to D1-AA. Delaware fans will argue that their 5 DII Championships are on par with FCS Championships since they were won when there was no FCS.

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2012, 10:06 AM
One could make an argument that DII was less competitive in the 1980's and beyond due to the movement of schools such as Delaware, Boise State, Youngstown State, etc. to D1-AA. Delaware fans will argue that their 5 DII Championships are on par with FCS Championships since they were won when there was no FCS.

4 of Delaware's championships were during the College Division era when NDSU won 3 with Boise St, YSU, San Diego St, MAC, current FCS and Etc teams in the same division.

In the DII playoffs in the 1980's NDSU played UC-Davis, Troy St, Towson, Texas St, Portland St, Sac St and Jacksonville St

BisonBacker
January 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Very well said. Give props to GSU they deserve them. I'm proud of NDSU's history but I'm more interested in the future now and where we are plus where we are going!

darell1976
January 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Academy of the Blind?

I didn't say what school you attended.

deez_na
January 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Looks like NDSU and GSU are the top teams in terms of Playoffs and that's what counts.

RichH2
January 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM
There's a decent chance Lehigh passes or ties Lafayette in all time wins this year. The Leopards have 654, the Hawks 652.

Agree we should pass Pards but if Dave takes Yale job xbawlingxxprayx, we might not be able to pass ourselves. ( Apologize for the terrible pun but could not resist);)

NDB
January 4th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Lo siento, Apphole.

uni88
January 4th, 2012, 03:40 PM
4 of Delaware's championships were during the College Division era when NDSU won 3 with Boise St, YSU, San Diego St, MAC, current FCS and Etc teams in the same division.

In the DII playoffs in the 1980's NDSU played UC-Davis, Troy St, Towson, Texas St, Portland St, Sac St and Jacksonville St

Those same Delaware fans would argue that the College Division was the same as DII since there was no DII.

I don't think you can make a definitive statement that many of their DII Championships are a greater accomplishment due to higher scholarships because there is also the possibility that those championships were easier because many (not all) of the stronger programs had moved on to I-AA.

This is not meant to put down NDSU, their National Championships are impressive regardless of level.

BisonHype!
January 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Agreed. NDSU won at the division they were in, and were a powerhouse. It makes it more difficult to be a powerhouse year in, and year out in the FCS....but I think the Bison will be in the hunt for many years to come.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 4th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Those same Delaware fans would argue that the College Division was the same as DII since there was no DII.

I don't think you can make a definitive statement that many of their DII Championships are a greater accomplishment due to higher scholarships because there is also the possibility that those championships were easier because many (not all) of the stronger programs had moved on to I-AA.

This is not meant to put down NDSU, their National Championships are impressive regardless of level.

I'm just real glad to see another "old sage" showing up around here. UNI88 is one of the most logical, common sense guys around so if you're gonna get into an argument with him...pack a lunch.xlolx

I'm not inferring that this is some big argument, just letting people know.

The Eagle's Cliff
January 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM

I think you'll find that most of the "directional schools" were Normal (Teachers) Schools originally and population growth in the latter 20th century transformed them into comprehensive universities. Georgia's population has nearly doubled since 1980, most of that in the Atlanta Metro area from which Georgia Southern draws half of it's enrollment which has nearly tripled since 1985.

Add all that up and you get, in Georgia southern's case, a relatively young school with a short history of athletics and a smaller, younger alumni base than many of the schools we compete against.

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM

I'm not trying to make a definitive statement, just pointing out that there was some pretty good competition for all the championships, but probably more during the college division days.

uni88
January 5th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I'm not trying to make a definitive statement, just pointing out that there was some pretty good competition for all the championships, but probably more during the college division days.

I know you're not Gil. Another Bison poster had made a comment regarding DII being tougher with higher scholarships. I was just presenting a logical countervailing argument.

I do believe that it NDSU benefited from teams moving up but also believe that NDSU also would have been a force to be reckoned with if they had moved up as well. The size, speed and athletic ability of college athletes has improved across all levels over the years so DII teams in the 80's were probably better than they were in previous years but I-AA teams were also much better than they were in previous years.